BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-12-26 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3943430

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - open for business!

I will be running tomorrow and Wednesday morning at 6 am (I get to sleep in an extra hour during this week) and then heading to the coast with a girlfriend and her little boy to take the kids to the aquarium and then to the Sea Lion Caves. Excited about running outside at the coast on Thursday morning. Not sure if I'm brave enough to run on the beach. I will let you guys and gals know how it goes.

Happy New Year....

P.S. Robin--my husband and I just registered for the Wildflower Olympic (for me) and Half Ironman (for him) in May 2012--the water temp at time of the year is 65-68 degrees. Would you recommend a wetsuit? If so, full wetsuit (with sleeves) or sleeveless?

Ryan

2011-12-26 9:55 PM

Rarotonga, The Cook Islands

Hi Robin,

I would love to join the group. I am SAHM, and homeschooling mum to DD 6 yrs old.

I have just started training for mini-triathlons. I can do with any advice I can get. I have some physical challenges - I suffer still from SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). It is a pregnancy related condition & few unlucky ones, like myself...can have it still long term causing ongoing problems. Which means my body is not like it used to be and I have to be careful my pelvis doesn't come under too much strain. The other consideration I have to take is during "that time of the month" I have to be very, very careful. The hormones cause the body to get all loose again and some symptoms return and a little pain. BUT For the first time in 6 years last month, I actually did some running. This was HUGE and so I am hoping things will just keep better and better with the pelvis. It is a miracle I could even walk, after having to relearn how to do this after 10 months of being unstable and unable to properly post birth.

But here I am: Running, swimming and cycling. So my distances will not be as spectacular as other normal triathletes, but I am still going to give it my best.

I am currently trying to work out how to train properly, work out how to adjust my bike so my knees stop hurting LOL and also a few other basics.

Looking forward to joining the group

Regards

Elizabeth

2011-12-26 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3954613

User image

Expert
C-bus
tradershez - 2011-12-26 10:55 PM

Hi Robin,

I would love to join the group. I am SAHM, and homeschooling mum to DD 6 yrs old.

I have just started training for mini-triathlons. I can do with any advice I can get. I have some physical challenges - I suffer still from SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). It is a pregnancy related condition & few unlucky ones, like myself...can have it still long term causing ongoing problems. Which means my body is not like it used to be and I have to be careful my pelvis doesn't come under too much strain. The other consideration I have to take is during "that time of the month" I have to be very, very careful. The hormones cause the body to get all loose again and some symptoms return and a little pain. BUT For the first time in 6 years last month, I actually did some running. This was HUGE and so I am hoping things will just keep better and better with the pelvis. It is a miracle I could even walk, after having to relearn how to do this after 10 months of being unstable and unable to properly post birth.

But here I am: Running, swimming and cycling. So my distances will not be as spectacular as other normal triathletes, but I am still going to give it my best.

I am currently trying to work out how to train properly, work out how to adjust my bike so my knees stop hurting LOL and also a few other basics.

Looking forward to joining the group

Regards

Elizabeth

Welcome aboard!!!!  We haven't become too deep in conversation, so you haven't missed much.  Wow!  Homeschooling!  Phew!  My sister homeschools her 7 year old and will be doing that for her 5 year old as well.  Kudos to you! 

I am looking forward to working with you! 

If you have time, just copy and paste my bio and fill in your answers so we can get to know you better.  It can be the cliff-notes version... just enough to provide a little glimpse of who you are and where 2012 is taking you...

Hooray for another member!!!!!

2011-12-26 10:45 PM

Could you please share a list of what a super new beginner, like me would need, as in gear?
I also found a bike, I'm wondering what you think of this as a beginner bike, knowing my plan is to do sprint length triathlons this year 2012-

http://www.amazon.com/GMC-Denali-Womens-Road-Frame/dp/B001HN5I2E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IBQKINVRDFQ26&colid=10W4SST94QUN7

I have favorite running shoes already, and wondering if I absolutely have to have a wetsuit, or could I use a regular swimsuit, since I plan on most of my Tri's being summertime?  And as for the riding/and shoes, can I ride in my running shoes, which I would assume makes the transition a little smoother? 
Thanks, as I know I've got a billion questions. :-)

2011-12-26 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3954522

User image

Expert
C-bus
rsreeve - 2011-12-26 9:30 PM

I will be running tomorrow and Wednesday morning at 6 am (I get to sleep in an extra hour during this week) and then heading to the coast with a girlfriend and her little boy to take the kids to the aquarium and then to the Sea Lion Caves. Excited about running outside at the coast on Thursday morning. Not sure if I'm brave enough to run on the beach. I will let you guys and gals know how it goes.

Happy New Year....

P.S. Robin--my husband and I just registered for the Wildflower Olympic (for me) and Half Ironman (for him) in May 2012--the water temp at time of the year is 65-68 degrees. Would you recommend a wetsuit? If so, full wetsuit (with sleeves) or sleeveless?

Ryan

Jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can smell the sea air now....    AAAAaaahhhhhhhhh. 

Wetsuit rule of thumb:  If you have one and you're allowed to wear it, wear it!!!!  With the temperature, it will be legal to wear one.  Which type is pretty much up to personal taste.  I live in Ohio and race only in summer in inland lakes or Lake Erie (which is very shallow, relatively speaking).  I only have a sleeveless wetsuit that serves me well for where I live and where I race. 

Did I recall correctly that Santa brought you a sleeved wetsuit for Christmas?  I say wear it.  The temperature should be cool enough for a sleeved suit.  Just be sure to practice with it first.  Many people don't practice in it and, come race day, put it on and get freaked out by how snug it is and they panic.  Go out several times with your hubby for an open water swim (OWS).  The first time, float around, do some strokes, get used to it.  Then try swiming in it... Let it become a part of your body. 

Oh!  Also practice taking it off quickly!!!!  I'll have to post some videos of that...  Thanks for reminding me!!!

2011-12-26 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3954457

User image

Expert
C-bus

jmcgilvery - 2011-12-26 8:18 PM Some of the races I want to enter say "swim cap will be provided and MUST be worn for safety"  I understand a lot of people wear them but how do they keep you safe? Silly question I'm sure but anyways, WHY is it a safety issue? :-)

It's funny you should ask.  Most of the "safety" I think comes from liability.  If you have one of their swim caps, you signed their waiver, therefore if anything bad should happen...  their rears are covered. 

However, race caps divide the age groups or other levels by color.  For example, Men 25-30 may be red, Women 25-30 may be light blue, Men 30-35 white, Women 30-35 green... etc, etc.  I think it also helps the lifeguards out in the water keep a lookout becausee they know what colors to look for. 

This is always a point of contention with my husband when he races.  He thinks it's rediculous that he should have to wear a cap.  He shaves his head everyday because nothing grows on the top...  He'd rather go without one...  but rules are rules! 

2011-12-26 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3954671

User image

Expert
C-bus
jmcgilvery - 2011-12-26 11:45 PM

Could you please share a list of what a super new beginner, like me would need, as in gear?
I also found a bike, I'm wondering what you think of this as a beginner bike, knowing my plan is to do sprint length triathlons this year 2012-

http://www.amazon.com/GMC-Denali-Womens-Road-Frame/dp/B001HN5I2E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IBQKINVRDFQ26&colid=10W4SST94QUN7

I have favorite running shoes already, and wondering if I absolutely have to have a wetsuit, or could I use a regular swimsuit, since I plan on most of my Tri's being summertime?  And as for the riding/and shoes, can I ride in my running shoes, which I would assume makes the transition a little smoother? 
Thanks, as I know I've got a billion questions. :-)

I Love questions!!!!  Alas, it is after midnight and I turn into a pumpkin if it gets too late.  Maybe someday I will be Cinderella, but I don't see that in my near future.  I will definitely tackle this question tomorrow!!!!  (Plus, I have to give you something to look forward to, right?)

2011-12-27 10:54 AM

I anticipate your answer. And, alas, I have an answer for you. My MRI result is officially in.  I have a small bulging disc, that requires no surgery, no PT. The bottom line as a "result" is that I show arthritis. I have to say, DUH! I knew that already.  While I'm VERY thankful I'm not in need of surgery or months of PT, I am frustrated that is the only thing they found and that I have been "Grounded" for THREE WEEKS...... However DANCING WITH JOY!!! That I am free to GO!! Train. Exercise. Swim. Run. GOOOOO!!! :-D  My shoes are on. RUN TIME.  Catch you later, and anticipate the answers!!

2011-12-27 1:16 PM

New user

Hi Robin,

I would like to join your group if you'll have me.  I currently weight train, run, and bike -- and can run and bike long distances.  I am an awful swimmer.  That is where I need the most help.  However, since I live in a very could climate -- I am just focusing on duathlon training at this point.  I took the past two weeks off due to illness, but will be getting back on track today. 

Cori

2011-12-27 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

If you've got room for one more, I'd love to join.  I'm at work now, but I will update later tonight with my bio.

Thanks,
Kevin

2011-12-27 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3955702

User image

Expert
C-bus
runnergirl7777 - 2011-12-27 2:16 PM

Hi Robin,

I would like to join your group if you'll have me.  I currently weight train, run, and bike -- and can run and bike long distances.  I am an awful swimmer.  That is where I need the most help.  However, since I live in a very could climate -- I am just focusing on duathlon training at this point.  I took the past two weeks off due to illness, but will be getting back on track today. 

Cori

Welcome!  I feel your pain.  Literally.  My darling daughter was kiind enough to share hers with me on Christmas.  It looks like my time off from hard training this week will be recovery focused.  If you could just copy my bio and paste in your own answers so we could get a glimpse of your goals, what last year was like, etc, that would be great!!!!  You haven't missed much!

2011-12-27 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3955774

User image

Expert
C-bus
Cutlass454 - 2011-12-27 2:33 PM

If you've got room for one more, I'd love to join.  I'm at work now, but I will update later tonight with my bio.

Thanks,
Kevin

Fantastic!  You're in!  And if I recall correctly, you were in the mentor group with Mchubri, right?  Hooray for old teammates!!!  (If you have no clue what I just said, nevermind.  It was someone else with a cutlass emblem...)

2011-12-27 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Ok, so the question that was brought up was-- what basic equipment is needed for a tri?  I will list out the BARE BONES necessary, then give you some cheap add-ons that help a lot...

Prior to race:

Sunscreen!!!!!

Knowledge of race course (this one's free!)

Directions to the race.  Don't get lost on your way to the race!  That's stress that you don't need!!!!!!

Bright colored towel (folded narrowly and neatly) to be placed under your bike so you can find your stuff quickly**

Swim:

Swimsuit --ladies, this can be your usual workout swim suit.  If you do anything longer than a sprint, you may want to invest in a tri top/shorts or trisuit.  For sprint distances, your swimsuit will be fine.  Men, just invest in a pair of tri shorts.  It's just about the same as jammers for you.

Goggles

Race Cap --the racing company should provide you with this either in your packet-pickup bag or at the race itself.  I have only been at one race where it was given to me in the bag. 

T1:  (if you're brand new, this is your first transition from the swim to the bike)

Possibly shirt/shorts for modesty's sake, but not necessary.  Beware of putting on clothes in transition, though.  Your body is wet, the clothes are dry.  They will be very difficult and frustrating to put on.  Also, make sure they are tech clothes.  Cotton will be hot and miserable.  Men, you may be required to wear a top.  It depends on the racing company. 

Socks -this is again a gray area.  Some people bike/run without socks, but they usually have specialized shoes for this.  I wear socks.  If you wear them to the race, carefully take them off like the reverse of putting on nylons, and gently place them in your shoes, it will be easier to put them on when the time comes.

Shoes -you can bike in your running shoes.  This is perfectly fine, especially if this is your first year and don't want to commit to cycling shoes/pedals. 

Bike:

HELMET, HELMET, HELMET.  You will be disqualified if you do not wear one!

Bike - any will do.  You DO NOT have to buy a new bike.  If you have a friend who has one and it fits you, borrow it!  Many races even have a mountain bike division if that's the only bike you have.  If it's an older bike, take it to your LBS to make sure everything works properly.  You must have bar-end plugs to be race legal. (Those are the plastic things at the ends of the handlebars.

Shoes (see T1)

If you don't have cycling shoes/pedals, toe cages are very helpful.

Water bottle

Tools and the know-how to use them --spare tube, tire levers, frame pump or CO2 cartridges to refill.  Your local LBS should have free or cheap classes on how to change a tire or make minor repairs.  Go to these!!!!

T2: (bike to run)

race number  (if you put on a shirt in T1, just pin this to the shirt prior to the race and you won't have to worry about it.)

Run:

Running shoes (if you wore cycling shoes previously)

Things to make life easier: 

spare goggles--you never know when they'll be misplaced or break or whatever.  I always have a spare.  It came in handy to a random racer one year when he forgot his.  Boy was he thankful!

ear plugs -- especially if you have ear problems.  I have a perforated ear drum and I cannot swim without them.  Most people do not use them.  I've heard they help if the water is REALLY cold, also.

Sunglasses --another thing I cannot race without.  I keep them on for the bike and run.  I only get the cheap ones from Dicks or Sports authority.  That way if they fall off, I don't care if they get scratched.

Running hat/visor --I love them!  They catch all my icky sweat adn keep it from getting in my eyes.

Watch/Heart Rate Monitor --some people swear by them, some people don't even use them. 

Number Belt --this is an elastic belt that holds your number.  You put around your waist prior to biking or running.  This keeps you from having to use the dreaded safety pins. 

The newest, latest gear is really fun and exciting, but most of it is not necessary.  When you're addicted or more vested in the sport (and I'm sure you will all be if you're not already), then splurge on some stuff. Here are my recommendations:

Cycling shoes and pedals.  I had no idea how nice cycling could be until I invested in these!  Beware-- big learning curve regarding how to clip in/out!!!!!!

Wetsuit --not necessary but useful.  Xterra runs some good deals for cheap and very decent wetsuits.  I have the cheapest one available (sleeveless) and I love it.  Be aware, not all races are wetsuit legal.  If the water temp gets too high, you may not be able to use it either. 

Trisuit/ tri top and shorts --If you're doing olympic distance or farther, invest in this.  The shorts/suit bottoms have a biking pad in them that will save your tender regions

Special nutrition --sprint distance, you should be fine.  They'll have gu or another item on the course if needed and water/gatorade-like drink.  Use what's there.  Olympic distance --you may want to see what works for you.  This just comes with trial and error.  Most people use what's on the course.  I cannot use gu.  I gag.  I experimented during training to find out what products work for me.

What not to bring: 

a huge blanket for your transition stuff.  Keep your space neat, tidy, and narrow.  Respect others space and hopefully they will do the same for you.

a balloon to mark your stuff in transition.  It can blow and get in other's way.

other people into transition who are not racing. 

I'm sure I forgot some things.  And that will come out in our discussions.  A great checklist can be found here:  race day checklist.  Just click off the things you need/are taking with you, hit print and you have your list!

2011-12-27 6:27 PM

User image

New user

Keller, TX

Robin-

I would love to join your group, if it is still open.  I competed in my first Sprint Tri in October and loved it. I would love to get connected to someone who knows more than I do and glean from your wisdom.

Thanks!

Holly

2011-12-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3956240

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

sungirl919 - 2011-12-27 5:09 PM

Fantastic!  You're in!  And if I recall correctly, you were in the mentor group with Mchubri, right?  Hooray for old teammates!!!  (If you have no clue what I just said, nevermind.  It was someone else with a cutlass emblem...)

Yes, you are correct.  In fact, I ended up messing up my knee that actually required surgery this past February.  I've been slowly getting back into the swing of working out and getting the itch to do tri's again.

2011-12-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3956443

User image

Expert
C-bus
Trainerh - 2011-12-27 7:27 PM

Robin-

I would love to join your group, if it is still open.  I competed in my first Sprint Tri in October and loved it. I would love to get connected to someone who knows more than I do and glean from your wisdom.

Thanks!

Holly

Congrats on your first race!  Welcome!  We've just started to get into some discussion, so you haven't missed much.  If you could copy my bio and fill in your answers so we could get to know you better that would be great!!!!!  We'll really start to get into it after the new year.

2011-12-27 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3956479

User image

Expert
C-bus
Cutlass454 - 2011-12-27 8:05 PM

sungirl919 - 2011-12-27 5:09 PM

Yes, you are correct.  In fact, I ended up messing up my knee that actually required surgery this past February.  I've been slowly getting back into the swing of working out and getting the itch to do tri's again.

ACK!  That's no good!  I'm glad you're on the road to recovery and training!!!  I'm happy to see you here!  Slow is good.  Do it slow, do it right, do it gradually so you don't get reinjured.  (I'm learning this the hard way!)

2011-12-27 10:45 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

NAME:  Cutlass454 / Kevin Marvin

STORY: I've been a member here since 2008 or 2009, but posting infrequently lately.  Back in 2008, I went and watched a couple friends of mine do a triathlon.  Going in, I thought triathletes should be these svelte, toned, trimmed uber-athletes.  While waiting for their gun to go off for their heat, I noticed men and women of literally all shapes and sizes.  Some of them being larger than me (at the time I was about 230#).  The thought passed through my head that "If these guys could do this, so could I."  I found this site, became a member, joined a 2009 mentor group and completed in 3 my first season.  I had aspirations to complete a 1/2 Ironman the year I turned 40.  That won't be happening, as I turn 40 in 2012.  

FAMILY STATUS: Been married for 13+ years now.  Two kids, 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter.  This past summer, my son was involved with a running competition at his summer day care and completed the competition by being the first one to hit 26.2 miles.  He did this in a little over 3 weeks.  I plan on doing a couple 5K's with him in 2012.

CURRENT TRAINING: So far, this has been very minimal.  I've been recovering from knee surgery back in February.  Recently started to walk / run again and am doing so without any pain.  Over this past summer, I took up mountain biking seeing that I wasn't running.  Planning on permanently putting my bike on my trainer for the winter, seeing that the winters in Michigan can be a little harsh for riding outdoors.  I'm planning on joining the fitness center at the local university that is 10 minutes from my house shortly after the first of the year.  I'll be able to swim as well as run on their indoor track. 

I've been challenged by my former neighbor to compete in a local 25K race in May with him.  He recently took up running as a weight loss tool for him and it's worked.  Not sure if I'll be ready for a 25K, but at a minimum I'll do the 10K.

PAST RACES: My last (and only) races were in 2009.  I did two of them that year.  Should have been three, but one was cancelled due to bad weather.

2012 RACES: For next year, I plan to compete in the same three races, Tri Del Sol, Millennium Park Triathlon and Reeds Lake Triathlon.  I'm also going to sprinkle in a couple 5K's with my son, as well as hopefully the 25K Fifth Third River Bank Run.  Also planning on doing Warrior Dash in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: During the peak of my training back in 2009, I dropped my weight from 240# down to about 212 just prior to my final race of the year.  Since that time, the weight has gone up past the 240 mark and is quickly approaching 250.  Ideally, I would love to not be known as a "Clydesdale", but not sure if that much is possible this year.

2011-12-28 8:57 AM

New user

Hi Robin!  I would love to join your group.  I am a SAHM, have 6 children, and homeschool them.  My 'journey' started in the fall of 2009 where I ran my first 5K.   Since then, I have lost 50 pounds, did a 1/2 marathon, and then last year did my first triathlon super sprint (Ramblin Rose).  I was a quick addict!  I completed 3 sprints last year and 4 sprints this year...however, I still have a good 50 pounds to lose and feel I could use a lot more information and support in the training department.  While my overall goal is weight loss and overall health, the competitive side of me wants to improve time, and I know there are tips I could pick up by being in this group. 

Katie Knickrehm

Kernersville, NC

2011-12-28 9:07 AM

New user

Hi Robin, is there still room for one more? I would love to join this group.

Lisa

2011-12-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3957251

User image

Expert
C-bus
kknickrehm - 2011-12-28 9:57 AM

Hi Robin!  I would love to join your group.  I am a SAHM, have 6 children, and homeschool them.  My 'journey' started in the fall of 2009 where I ran my first 5K.   Since then, I have lost 50 pounds, did a 1/2 marathon, and then last year did my first triathlon super sprint (Ramblin Rose).  I was a quick addict!  I completed 3 sprints last year and 4 sprints this year...however, I still have a good 50 pounds to lose and feel I could use a lot more information and support in the training department.  While my overall goal is weight loss and overall health, the competitive side of me wants to improve time, and I know there are tips I could pick up by being in this group. 

Katie Knickrehm

Kernersville, NC

Welcome, welcome!!!!  Sounds like you have a good base and experience with setting up and sticking to training plans!  It's my goal to hit that hard right around the first of  the year... 

If you'd like, please copy my bio and fill it in with your answers so we can gain a better perspective of your past and your goals! 

2011-12-28 9:35 AM

<form action="/discussion/forums/thread-post.asp?action=postreply" method="post">

Robin I hope there is still room fro me in your group!  I am really looking for the accountability part of this and just someone to guide me in the right direction!  I look forward to this opportunity!

NAME:  erika0823 / Erika Furbeck

STORY: I am a very busy Mommy who has all sorts of goals that I would like to achieve, but never enough time in the day.  I work full time as an administrator at the NYS School for the Deaf.  I am currently in Grad School at Liberty University, and I have 2 daughters that keep me very busy as well.  I also lifeguard fro a swim program 2 mornings a week for beginner triathletes wanting to learn to swim!  I have competed in roughly 8 sprint distance triathlons and 2 Olympic Distance triathlons.  I have done several 5K and 10K races a few 15K races and 1 half marathon.  I love the sport of triathlon and my real goal is to drop about 30 pounds before my first race in May and actually be competitive.  I can swim with the best of them, my bike is alright, and by run is awful!  I need as much help as possible in that area!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive husband for 8 years.  We have 2 daughters, a 6 year old and a 4 year old.  We also have a 4 year old spoiled Chocolate Lab!

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am on a hiatus until January 1, 2012.  This is going to be my 4th year of competing in triathlons, however, I have never started training this early, so I am hoping for it to be my best season yet!  I am going to be starting from scratch pretty much as my last triathlon was in late August and I haven't done any swimming or biking since.  I have been out running here and there but nothing consistent.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: THis year I competed in local races here in my area.  I did the Holland Patent Sprint Tri, Cooperstown Sprint Tri,  Irongirl Sprint Tri (152 out of over 1000 ladies) and then I ended with an Olympic Distance Tri and improved my time by 3 minutes from last year.  I  will take what I can get I suppose.  In between these triathlons I competed in several 5K races.  This is the area I struggle with most...RUNNING AND I ARE NOT FRIENDS!  

2012 RACES: I have 4 triathlons on the schedule right now, with my first one being at the end of May!  I have a 100 mile bike ride in May and my ultimate goal is to run my first marathon in October of 2012, God willing!

WEIGHTLOSS: This is the area I need the most help in!  I know if I dropped 30 pounds that running would come more easily for me.  I am 175 pounds currently and would like to be at 155 for my first race in May.  I understand this is a huge undertaking but I ready and willing!

2011-12-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3957284

User image

Expert
C-bus
exercisegirl6 - 2011-12-28 10:07 AM

Hi Robin, is there still room for one more? I would love to join this group.

Lisa

Sure!  I'll probably close it at mentee #10, and you are lucky #9!!!  If you could be so kind as to copy my bio then paste in your answers so we can have a better glimpse of what your goals are, your exercise past, etc... and we'll get this party rockin!  (Sorry, I have a song stuck in my head...)

2011-12-28 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3957376

User image

Expert
C-bus
erika0823 - 2011-12-28 10:35 AM
<form action="/discussion/forums/thread-post.asp?action=postreply" method="post">

Robin I hope there is still room fro me in your group!  I am really looking for the accountability part of this and just someone to guide me in the right direction!  I look forward to this opportunity!

NAME:  erika0823 / Erika Furbeck

STORY: I am a very busy Mommy who has all sorts of goals that I would like to achieve, but never enough time in the day.  I work full time as an administrator at the NYS School for the Deaf.  I am currently in Grad School at Liberty University, and I have 2 daughters that keep me very busy as well.  I also lifeguard fro a swim program 2 mornings a week for beginner triathletes wanting to learn to swim!  I have competed in roughly 8 sprint distance triathlons and 2 Olympic Distance triathlons.  I have done several 5K and 10K races a few 15K races and 1 half marathon.  I love the sport of triathlon and my real goal is to drop about 30 pounds before my first race in May and actually be competitive.  I can swim with the best of them, my bike is alright, and by run is awful!  I need as much help as possible in that area!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive husband for 8 years.  We have 2 daughters, a 6 year old and a 4 year old.  We also have a 4 year old spoiled Chocolate Lab!

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am on a hiatus until January 1, 2012.  This is going to be my 4th year of competing in triathlons, however, I have never started training this early, so I am hoping for it to be my best season yet!  I am going to be starting from scratch pretty much as my last triathlon was in late August and I haven't done any swimming or biking since.  I have been out running here and there but nothing consistent.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: THis year I competed in local races here in my area.  I did the Holland Patent Sprint Tri, Cooperstown Sprint Tri,  Irongirl Sprint Tri (152 out of over 1000 ladies) and then I ended with an Olympic Distance Tri and improved my time by 3 minutes from last year.  I  will take what I can get I suppose.  In between these triathlons I competed in several 5K races.  This is the area I struggle with most...RUNNING AND I ARE NOT FRIENDS!  

2012 RACES: I have 4 triathlons on the schedule right now, with my first one being at the end of May!  I have a 100 mile bike ride in May and my ultimate goal is to run my first marathon in October of 2012, God willing!

WEIGHTLOSS: This is the area I need the most help in!  I know if I dropped 30 pounds that running would come more easily for me.  I am 175 pounds currently and would like to be at 155 for my first race in May.  I understand this is a huge undertaking but I ready and willing!

Woohoo!  Lucky #10!  Welcome, Erika!  It sounds like you have a great grasp on training and planning--you must with that schedule!!!  Wow!!!!  As you can tell, we haven't gone very far yet.  But that is soon to change.  We have a full group, the new year is coming, and we have lots to discuss!!!!!

Welcome, again!

2011-12-28 9:47 AM

User image

New user

Can I join you guys also?

NAME:  Peachfor3/Shon

STORY: I've always been "active" but not particularly sporty.  I have done a handful of races over the past few years, but I went too hard too fast when I first started training, and ended up with an overuse injury.  So my plan for 2012 is to do only a few races, but build a base so I can just stop with the stupid ankle pain already. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 10 years! I am currently a SAHM with 6 1/2 year old twin boys and a 2 1/2 year old (and a puppy.)  I recently decided to go back to school for nursing (my first degree, child development, was amazing, fun, but not really a strong career path.)  We are a pretty active family and usually pretty busy, but working out regularly only became a habit about 3 years ago.  I find that I am more motivated if training for a race, so last year tried triathlons for the first time (I have a cousin who posted about them on facebook and made me jealous-they looked fun!

CURRENT TRAINING: My first race is on May 6 (10k) so I am actually starting from "scratch" and doing Hal Higdon's 5k, then 10k plan.  I've been doing a various aerobic activities for the past 2 months, but zero swim/bike/run.  I am hoping that I rested my lame ankle enough that I can go slow.  Since the miles are so low, I'll probably be running then swimming.  

PAST RACES: Last year I did two sprints and a handful of 5k's.  Nothing major.  The year before I did my first half marathon.  

2012 RACES: I am planning two 10k's, two sprints, and an olympic.  Also my twins want to run a 5k or two so we'll do those as a family.  

WEIGHTLOSS: I could probably stand to lose 20ish pounds.  

Edited by Peachfor3 2011-12-28 9:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12