BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-01-03 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3946995

New user

Detroit
Subject: RE: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [OPEN]
Hey Bryan,

I would love to join your group.

Name - Renata

Occupation - Student and I also work part-time at a local Hospital in administration

Approximate time per week to devote to training - I plan to devote at least 3 days per week for the next couple of months. Then I will kick it up to at least 6 days a week.

Personal goals - to lose at least 40 lbs and complete two sprint triathlons this year. I did the Motor City Tri 3 years ago and I'm considering it this year again along with the St. Croix Tri and HITS series Tri in Colorado.

Your level of proficiency in swim, bike and run - Swimming is my strongest portion of the Tri, then biking and running is my weakest. I would really like to focus of my running.

Anything else that you would like to share - I'm loving and living in Detroit! I live close to the riverfront and great bike routes. I look forward to being apart of the group.

2012-01-03 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3968652

Regular
Canton, MI
gbswan - 2012-01-03 3:23 PM

Name: Erik
Approximate time per week to devote to training: 5-8 hours
Personal goals: Did my 1st Sprint a year ago. Started the process at 255 and got it down to 242 by tri time.  Then I didn't have any more events scheduled and lost my mojo.  Goal this year is to scheduel a full season with 2 sprints, a 5k, a 10k and a half marathon.

Your level of proficiency in swim, bike and run: I was up to be able to breast stroke a full mile.  Cycling was my weakest area just based on time to ramp up and utilizing the inexpensive bike on hand to make sure I'd enjoy this whole triathlon thing.  Running improved as year went on down to just over 9 minute miles.

Anything else that you would like to share: After going through the whole "first timer" experience last year and now getting ready for season #2 I am looking to recapture some of that "newbie enthusiasm".  The 13lb drop a year ago came with improved resting heart rate, lower cholesterol, lower triglycerides, and whole bunch of other benefits.  Longer term goals include olympic distance in 2013 and a half in 2014.  We'll see where it goes from there.

To all of you new to this, don't let all the information overwhelm or discourage you!  This is a great sport and the benefits are awesome.  Just do it! 

Welcome Erik!. Getting so close to the magic number of people
2012-01-03 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3969377

Regular
Canton, MI

natapolk - 2012-01-03 8:06 PM Hey Bryan, I would love to join your group. Name - Renata Occupation - Student and I also work part-time at a local Hospital in administration Approximate time per week to devote to training - I plan to devote at least 3 days per week for the next couple of months. Then I will kick it up to at least 6 days a week. Personal goals - to lose at least 40 lbs and complete two sprint triathlons this year. I did the Motor City Tri 3 years ago and I'm considering it this year again along with the St. Croix Tri and HITS series Tri in Colorado. Your level of proficiency in swim, bike and run - Swimming is my strongest portion of the Tri, then biking and running is my weakest. I would really like to focus of my running. Anything else that you would like to share - I'm loving and living in Detroit! I live close to the riverfront and great bike routes. I look forward to being apart of the group.

Welcome Renata! I'll add you as a friend in the logs

2012-01-03 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3967770

Regular
Canton, MI

Pool...can swim all day it seems.  Lake water, can't see, and feel like I'm suffocating, very odd, it's all in my head.  Makes me curious if I'd be OK in clear tropical ocean waters? LOL  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

This a common feeling among new triathletes. This feeling is even amplified when a couple hundred other swimmers are thrashing about around you. When I first started off I tried closing my eyes so I wouldn't feel closed in. That only made me dizzy when I would roll my hips.

One thing you can do is dunk yourself a handful of times prior to starting your OWS and breath out completely. This will get your body used to being in the water at least. I have to amp myself up before races and open water swims and just get in the zone.

2012-01-03 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3968981

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: My tri question
ShampyV - 2012-01-03 5:03 PM

Ok, I know this is an age old question and there's not any one correct answer but I would really like to discuss the "which type of bike?" issue.  Assuming I reach my goal and hubby buys me a new bike, I was wondering whether to go for a tri specific bike or a road bike.  Bearing in mind the following things...

I am not at all confident riding on the roads - I am not a cyclist by any stretch, and most (not all of course but  good majority) of my training on the bike when the time comes will be on a trainer. 

The next twelve months will be a focus on sprint and olympic distance but jump forward a year when I have had a stellar tri season (heehee) I would like to "go long" and shoot for a HIM and eventually a full IM.

Any thoughts?

I would suggest a road bike to start. I made the leap to a tt/tri bike from a mountain bike, and while I don't regret it, It took a long time to get used. Also as Erin stated, you can always put Clip on Aero bars on your road bike in the future. I see a lot of people doing that.

One other thing to look at is the terrain you'll most likely be riding in on a daily basis. Road bikes definitely handle Steep climbs and fast descents better than a triathlon specific bike. In fact going down large hills on a tri-bike can be pretty scary.

2012-01-03 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3968881

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: My Silly Triathlon Question
Twinsmomma.Erin - 2012-01-03 4:31 PM

I am doing a Duathlon this year, but that's not to say that Triathlons are 100% out of the question for me in the future.  I just need more open water time.  So...

How do you get *safe* open water time outside of a race?  I live on an all sports private lake, but I'm afraid that I'll get ran over by a passing pontoon.  I'm NOT kidding...LOL.  I REALLY need to work on open water...the pool just isn't going to cut it for me to be comfortable to jump in a lake and swim on race day.   Been there done that.  Go see my log July 2006...Embarassed

You mentioned that you work in Ann Arbor and your profile says you live in Brooklyn michigan. While I don't know where that is, Working in Ann Arbor puts you pretty close to Island lake Recreational Area in brighton. During the spring and summer months they put buoys out in the shall part of kent lake and tons of people swim there. The really hardcore people make the 1o min hike to trout lake (i'm not hardcore ). If you have never trained up there, it's pretty much triathlete/duathlete heaven, Spandex as far as the eyes can see.

2012-01-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3969449

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-03 8:37 PM

I am doing a Duathlon this year, but that's not to say that Triathlons are 100% out of the question for me in the future.  I just need more open water time.  So...

How do you get *safe* open water time outside of a race?  I live on an all sports private lake, but I'm afraid that I'll get ran over by a passing pontoon.  I'm NOT kidding...LOL.  I REALLY need to work on open water...the pool just isn't going to cut it for me to be comfortable to jump in a lake and swim on race day.   Been there done that.  Go see my log July 2006...Embarassed

You mentioned that you work in Ann Arbor and your profile says you live in Brooklyn michigan. While I don't know where that is, Working in Ann Arbor puts you pretty close to Island lake Recreational Area in brighton. During the spring and summer months they put buoys out in the shall part of kent lake and tons of people swim there. The really hardcore people make the 1o min hike to trout lake (i'm not hardcore ). If you have never trained up there, it's pretty much triathlete/duathlete heaven, Spandex as far as the eyes can see.

I've been to Island Lake for Mountain Biking (back before kids when I had more time...lol), but never for swimming.  Thanks for the idea.  I'm about 45min SW of AA, I bet I might be able to convince the DH come up with me so I can get in a OW swim on a weekend.  Smile  Hmm...I wonder if there are any other boat-free bodies of water closer to me?  We have tons of lakes...there HAS to be.

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-03 8:10 PM
2012-01-03 8:14 PM

User image

New user

Simi Valley, California

Hi, my name is Ella.

Here is a short bio about me:

Name: as already stated above, Ella   /  StarRider

Occupation: Full time student in the process of switching majors. I have been studying computer programming for about 3 years, and right now I am taking biology, chemistry, and physics courses, because in September I am applying for a degree in Bio-technology.

Approximate time: well, I manage to wake up early enough, I can fit in about an hour a day and one or two on the weekends....so about 5-10hrs/week? roughly is best guess.

Personal Goals: this summer compete (and hopefully finish) a few sprint triathlons (not sure which ones I should do though). Aiming by the end of the season this year, to finish an Oly..... Weightloss Goals: need to shed about 30-40lbs, and when this happens, I will be putting my application into the Military

Proficiencies: While I was in highschool (4 years ago), I did a lot of cycling, I did train alone, however, training involved biking distances ranging from 64-128kms. Stopped in post-secondary, as school got in the way. Swimming, I have my Bronze Cross and I am planning at some point in time going for my National Life-guarding Certification. I have never been good at running - was never good at "high-intensity sports".

Last year, I was in a bad car accident, and I just finished up about 8 months of physio. Now I have a clean bill of health ^_^. Right now, I need to start right at the beginning, with just running to get back into shape. Also my bike is broke, so when I have a little extra money, I plan on getting it fixed.

- E

2012-01-03 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3969517

Regular
Canton, MI
StarRider - 2012-01-03 9:14 PM

Hi, my name is Ella.

Here is a short bio about me:

Name: as already stated above, Ella   /  StarRider

Occupation: Full time student in the process of switching majors. I have been studying computer programming for about 3 years, and right now I am taking biology, chemistry, and physics courses, because in September I am applying for a degree in Bio-technology.

Approximate time: well, I manage to wake up early enough, I can fit in about an hour a day and one or two on the weekends....so about 5-10hrs/week? roughly is best guess.

Personal Goals: this summer compete (and hopefully finish) a few sprint triathlons (not sure which ones I should do though). Aiming by the end of the season this year, to finish an Oly..... Weightloss Goals: need to shed about 30-40lbs, and when this happens, I will be putting my application into the Military

Proficiencies: While I was in highschool (4 years ago), I did a lot of cycling, I did train alone, however, training involved biking distances ranging from 64-128kms. Stopped in post-secondary, as school got in the way. Swimming, I have my Bronze Cross and I am planning at some point in time going for my National Life-guarding Certification. I have never been good at running - was never good at "high-intensity sports".

Last year, I was in a bad car accident, and I just finished up about 8 months of physio. Now I have a clean bill of health ^_^. Right now, I need to start right at the beginning, with just running to get back into shape. Also my bike is broke, so when I have a little extra money, I plan on getting it fixed.

- E

<br><br> Welcome aboard Ella. <br><br><br> That should be 10 people so I'm going to go ahead and close the group we can get this thing going.
2012-01-03 9:27 PM

Subject: RE: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK

May I enter this group? I saw it was open on the open list.

My name is jen I am 38 and would like to do a tri in washington in may.

2012-01-03 9:31 PM

Subject: RE: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK

Time avability:I have 2 hours a night at a health club for 4 nights a week.

2012-01-03 9:34 PM

My Goals are to lose weight, get in shape with friends at the health club but they do not want to do a tri. Finish the triathalon and have a medal.

I am a very good swimmer, ok with cycling and a terrible runner.

2012-01-04 5:25 AM
in reply to: #3969672

Regular
Canton, MI
Sure you may join. I just changed the group to closed last night but no biggie, welcome aboard. Be sure to become familiar with the training logs portion of this site, add the people in this group to your friends list in the logs (lower left corner) and welcome aboard.
2012-01-04 5:44 AM

Regular
Canton, MI

I'm going to post the first installment of my weekly essays probably tonight or tomorrow hopefully this will spark some dialogue and we can go from there.

Side note...

Every year at this time I get a little annoyed going into the gym, the lack of parking spaces, lack of treadmills, having to wait 15 mins for a swim lane, having to wait for a darn shower after my swim or run because the place is so busy. Then it hit me last night while I was 3 miles into my run. These months are probably the only time when the gym actually comes alive. The rest of the year you see the same people, doing the same things, rinse, wash, repeat. I want to tell everyone I see at the gym to "keep going!, It gets easier!". Yesterday I turned the corner. We're all in this together and everyone has to start somewhere. Hopefully some of those people at the gym last night and everyone in this group sticks with it and becomes as enthusiastic about weight loss, healthy living and and an active life style as I am.

2012-01-04 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
If anyone wants a table to put on thier log with links to the group and all of our individual logs...I made one for my page.  Feel free to use it.

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-04 9:07 AM
2012-01-04 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan

You'll have to get it from my page...when I post it here it breaks the links.

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-04 9:24 AM

2012-01-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3969449

User image

Chelsea

I live in Chelsea, about 15 miles west of Ann Arbor.  That make Erin and me almost neighbors.

There are also open water swimming workouts at Silver Lake in the Pickney Rec area. I hope to take an open water swimming class that I believe meets there.

Chris

2012-01-04 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3970722

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
gearhart - 2012-01-04 12:55 PM

I live in Chelsea, about 15 miles west of Ann Arbor.  That make Erin and me almost neighbors.

There are also open water swimming workouts at Silver Lake in the Pickney Rec area. I hope to take an open water swimming class that I believe meets there.

Chris

Chris,

I might have to go check that out this year.  I wasn't sure where Silver Lake was, but if it's near Chelsea/Pinkney it wouldn't be too bad.  That is taught by Christi the Swimmer if I'm not mistaken.  I swear she does another one even closer to me in the Irish Hills area somewhere...trying to find info on that.

2012-01-04 2:22 PM

Regular
Canton, MI
ok, I've figured out how to put the tabe in your logs. I've attached a txt file. Copy and paste the code into your log up near the top where it says "RSS". Right under that is the "edit button, hit that and paste in. that way we can easily access logs from everyone's pages. Awesome idea Erin!

Attachments
----------------
TABLE-HTML.txt (2KB - 23 downloads)
2012-01-04 4:13 PM

User image

Chelsea
Erin,
Yes that class is with Christi. I took her. Swimming 201 in Nov and Dec. It helped my swimming alot. As soon as she opens her OWS course I am signing up.
Chris
2012-01-05 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3971085

Regular

I love this idea.  But when I paste it into the RSS field, it still leaves nothing but code no links.  What am I doing wrong?

2012-01-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3972483

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan

gbswan - 2012-01-05 10:12 AM

I love this idea.  But when I paste it into the RSS field, it still leaves nothing but code no links.  What am I doing wrong?

Oops... He meant that you copy the table (you can get it on my log OR his attachment) and then go to your log page click the edit link below the RSS button.  Paste into the text editor that opens.

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-05 9:53 AM
2012-01-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3972556

Regular

Erin-

Thank you.  When I copied from Bryan's link all it pasted over was the "programming text" but not the table.  From your logs I got the table posted over.

Here's to a great day of training.

Erik

2012-01-05 11:26 AM

Regular
Canton, MI

Almost done with my first essay on triathlon gear 101. Should be up tonight sometime, eastern standard time. Hopefully everyone is ready to get down to training. I wrote the essay just as kind of like a help file for people who are just starting out and trying to figure out cost wise, the bare essentials in gear.

Also, Lets start off the training portion of the group. I hope everyone has been checking in, only a couple of people have been posting on a regular basis.

I know everyone posted how many days/hours they expect to have to devote towards training. How does your week shake down?

I'll start:

I usually train (or atleast work out) 6-7 days a week. Being newly married and not having any kids affords me this luxury. most weeks in the winter. I'll do a combination of  swimming/running on one day and bike the next, rinse repeat, with a long run of about 12-13 miles on the weekends (currently training for a 70.3, musselman in NY), although this has been eaten a couple of time by the holidays.

Eventually I'd like to work strength training and possibly some yoga into my workout routine but am constantly reminded by my wife that this hobby doesn't bring in any income and she likes to actually see her husband.

Lets see whatcha got. Don't be shy about your training, that's why we're all here.

2012-01-05 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3972793

User image

New user

Simi Valley, California
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-05 12:26 PM

I know everyone posted how many days/hours they expect to have to devote towards training. How does your week shake down?

I'll start:

I usually train (or atleast work out) 6-7 days a week. Being newly married and not having any kids affords me this luxury. most weeks in the winter. I'll do a combination of  swimming/running on one day and bike the next, rinse repeat, with a long run of about 12-13 miles on the weekends (currently training for a 70.3, musselman in NY), although this has been eaten a couple of time by the holidays.

Eventually I'd like to work strength training and possibly some yoga into my workout routine but am constantly reminded by my wife that this hobby doesn't bring in any income and she likes to actually see her husband.

Lets see whatcha got. Don't be shy about your training, that's why we're all here.

Today, I went to the doctors because this "lingering cold" I have been having  (since before Christmas) has not gone away. Well turns out I had pneumonia, the doctor gave me some antibiotics and said "a few days rest, and I will be ready to go"...So Monday, once the antibiotics kick in, is when I will start.

Anyways, I plan on starting with running, until I can afford to get my bike fixed and get a new bathing suit. I prefer to train though in the mornings, early, before breakfast-ish....I am usually up at about 6-6:30AM EST. So the earlier I wake up, the more time I have to train. In the day, I am busy , with college and university. In the evenings, I work and do homework. In the process of switching majors.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK Rss Feed  

of 4