BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-04-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4125768

User image

Iowa
Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Closed
I'm done with testing and I'm off to do my 40 min run on the treadmil at the Y.  I am using the sprint, basic 12 week RPE based BT program and I am on day #51, my workouts can be viewed on BT. I have 40 days left until my sprint (500 swim, 15mile bike and 5k run) and I am a little bit nervous.  I do know that if I wasn't following the program I defintely would have overtrained. The couch to sprint may have been more appropriate but I just couldn't bring myself to do that one. A little hard headed I guess. The Y is closed to swimming from 12-4 so the swim will have to be after 4 today when my wife gets home.

2012-04-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4141191

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Jim --

Having a well-constructed plan and sticking with it is one of the best ways to have a successful race. Keep it up and stay consistent and you'll have a good experience on race day. Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

A goal without a plan is just a wish.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Don't hesitate to shoot me a line if you have any questions about training, equipment, etc., as you get closer to the race. Use the forum or send me a private message.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

2012-04-10 4:43 PM

User image

New user

Ken,

Both races were set for an early season warm-up, trying to get back into a tri-season. Originally, the goal for Paris was a 3:15, but with the injury, I'll settle for 4hrs (had a 3:20 this past Oct).
For the tri, I just want to get back to racing. I've been on my bike just once in the last year (been focusing on running), so I feel quite behind right now.
Need a lot of help in the swim and bike department.
2012-04-10 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4141852

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Impressive marathon times (best here is a 3:35 at age 50...)! So, are you working off a specific marathon plan, and how much time are you willing to give up from that for swim and bike training? It's tough balancing marathon training and triathlon -- even if you're not looking to blister the marathon. Figure working in one long ride a week, plus a couple of shorter ones, to build bike fitness.

But looks like fun -- I'd love to run a marathon in Paris!
2012-04-11 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4139107

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Open
wrhall2 - 2012-04-09 6:04 PM

I want to start "bricking when possible but am not sure how much i should do, once a week? twice?
I also don't own tri shorts and would like to hear from others what to buy along with what recomendations you have on a wet suit for temps in the 65 to 70 degree range.

Hey group! A few good questions here from Bill. Feel free to chime in if something's worked for you. Here's my take on them:

Bricking: No doubt that running off of the bike is something of an acquired skill -- your first few times often will feel pretty awful. Your race (22 bike, 3 run) doesn't require a long sustained run, so I'd concentrate more on working the initial phase. Take one bike a week and add a 15-minute run off of the bike. Have your running shoes ready and make the transition fairly speedy. Concentrate on a quick turnover of your feet and good running form as you start.

Tri Shorts: Essential gear! There are plenty of good brands -- I've had luck with Sugoi shorts -- http://www.triathletesports.com/Sugoi-Men-s-RS-Tri-Short-p/21070u.h... -- good value, comfortable and long-wearing.

Wet suit: Ah the sleeve vs. sleeveless debate! To summarize: sleeves = more flotation, better speed, more warmth but a little tougher to get out of and more expensive. Sleeveless = the opposite. Either are OK for the temps you're talking about. I'd consider renting a suit at this point and see how one or the other works. I've always used a sleeveless, but that's just me... ;-)

Ken
2012-04-11 9:18 AM

User image

Asheville, North Carolina

A question about swim training from someone who is very new to swimming; meaning until this year I have never swam unless I was trying to get back to the boat or trying to get out of the deep end of the swimming pool.

What kind of swimming volume should I be attempting at this point?  The tri I am shooting for in July is only a 300m pool swim and the longest one I am looking at in September is 800m.  Some of the training programs I am looking over call for swims of 15-30 min pretty early in the program.  Is this total swim time without stopping, total swim time including rest breaks, or some type of combination of freestyle and some other easier way of swimming?  Right now I would be pushing it to swim for about 3.5 to 4 minutes without a break.  Even doing 100m intervals is not easy to me at this point.

What would some of you more experienced swimmers consider an example of a good swim workout for a person at my level?  I come from a long running background and also feel like I am doing o.k. for now on the bike (although all of it until this point has been on the stationary bike) so I consider myself to be in decent shape.  I'm just not sure if I am doing what I need to do to get my swimming to a level where I can do well in this summer's events.

Thanks for the input.---Wendall 

2012-04-11 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4143055

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Good question, Wendall.

Beginning swim programs are usually based around intervals -- breaking the time and distance up into smaller segments. This lets you concentrate more on swimming properly and efficiently, rather than just trying to survive the distance.

There are lots of swim programs out there -- this one strikes me as pretty well balanced and realistic for less-experienced swimmers.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

If you find it progresses too quickly, repeat earlier weeks as you gain strength. With about 10-12 weeks, you've plenty of time to build a good beginning base. As you get about a month out from the race, I've got a few suggestions for getting "race ready." From there you can concentrate on the next challenge in September.

One X factor we haven't discussed is your swim technique. If you're particularly weak at this, scheduling a swim lesson with an experienced instructor would be money well spent. This will help you establish good fundamentals to start and help you avoid reinforcing bad habits.

Ken
2012-04-11 1:32 PM

User image

Iowa

Hi Wendall,

I was in the same boat when I starting swim workouts. I could only go about 100 yards before tatally gassing. In just a short time I am doing as much as 2000 yards, that is doing a warm up then intervals of 6x50 yards or 10x 100 yards with a short rest.  Some of my workouts call for only 15 sec. rest between sets but I usually do not hit that , I will be at 30 sec to 1 min. but it has made a huge difference to my non stop swim time.  I would read about other athletes doing a lot of yards and wonder how they could do the distances and I wondered if I would ever be at their level. Well, I'm not there yet but I am closer now. It just takes time in the water. I did get the Total Immersion DVD since I was a beginner. It has helped. Hope this helps you.

Jim

2012-04-11 4:28 PM

User image

New user

Ken, I am certainly ready to cut back on my running to increase bike and swim, as soon as this weekend is done. I only got into marathon because I couldn't bike or swim most of last year. For training I followed the Hal Higdon plan for the first ... tried to do the same for this one, but injuries and weather kept my training to a minimum.

For equipment, I am a big fan of the Pearl Izumi tri-shorts. But be sure to get ones with at least one pocket (especially if you like to fuel on the run). The shorts are great; I've had two pair for over two years and still use them.
As for a wetsuit, I am using a sleeveless Orca. But, any wetsuit is an investment and I agree with renting to try them out during a race before purchasing. I don't do much open water training, so I primarilly use mine only during a race (and maybe once in the pool the week before, just to remind my body what it's like to swim in a wetsuit).
I also like the knotted compression laces for my running shoes so you can just slip them on and they are already tight and sized (something I didn't think about until my first race and I was trying to tie my shoes with shaking hands).
Just my 2cents, though.

Rich
2012-04-11 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4142595

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Open

Ken,

Ok, It sounds like long term i would go sleeveless on the wetsuit, my end goal at this point is the Half (70.3) so i'm looking for comfort and ease of fit more than buoyancy. Another question with this is how thick of a skin am i looking for?  I will give the bricking you suggested a try, so if the race is 22 miles how far should my long bike be for the week? My last time out was 26mi with intervals along the way. Thanks  

2012-04-11 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

Hi Wendell,

A site i am learning from is called swimsmooth.com. I couldn't agree more that a swim lesson is a really good beginning point. I got a couple of lessons to start with. Swim smooth is a good supplement to doing it the right way. 

2012-04-11 9:31 PM

Hey Group,

What do you folks do about pain while riding your bike?  I've noticed two types of pain.  The first is where the sits bones rest on the seat.  The second is where the hamstrings attach to the sits bones.  Usually I go for a while pain-free, but around the 30 minute mark I start to get uncomfortable. I'm finding that my tolerance for the discomfort around the seat is limiting my rides more than fatigue/ache in the muscles driving the bike.

I've started using padded bike shorts, which have helped, but haven't quite gotten rid of the problem.  Is this something that gets better with time?  Should I look for a different bike seat (harder, softer, different geometry)?  Should I be doing some stretches?

Thanks,
Nick 

2012-04-12 4:52 AM
in reply to: #4144710

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Bill, Rich, and Jim -- thanks for passing along some great info and feedback to the group! I'll get back in later in the day to answer a few specific questions that have been brought up in the last few posts.

In the meanwhile, looks like we've got some racing coming up:

Rich is tackling the Paris Marathon on the 16th (Monday, right?). Meanwhile, I'll be doing an Olympic-distance tri here in Virginia on Saturday. Anybody else with big weekend plans?

Talk to you all later -- it's off to masters swim class for me...

Ken
2012-04-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4144792

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Cloverleaf - 2012-04-11 10:31 PM

Hey Group,

What do you folks do about pain while riding your bike?  I've noticed two types of pain.  The first is where the sits bones rest on the seat.  The second is where the hamstrings attach to the sits bones.  Usually I go for a while pain-free, but around the 30 minute mark I start to get uncomfortable. I'm finding that my tolerance for the discomfort around the seat is limiting my rides more than fatigue/ache in the muscles driving the bike.

I've started using padded bike shorts, which have helped, but haven't quite gotten rid of the problem.  Is this something that gets better with time?  Should I look for a different bike seat (harder, softer, different geometry)?  Should I be doing some stretches?

Thanks,
Nick 

Nick --

There are as many saddle recommendations as there are bike riders. But at this point in your triathlon journey, I think the biggest issue right now is Time In The Saddle (T.I.T.S. as we like to say ;-).

Padded bike shorts are a must, as you've discovered. But before worrying about different seats, I'd get some more mileage and time in and see how things go. Bike fit is something to consider as well -- it's easy to drop some $ on professional fitting, but the fundamentals aren't that hard to do yourself. Check out this video for a simple primer:

http://video.bicycling.com/video/Make-Your-Bike-Fit

Stretching is never a bad thing, if done regularly (I wish I was better at it!). Here's an interesting approach -- a few minutes a day can't hurt anything:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/stretc...

Ken
2012-04-12 7:47 PM

User image

Thanks guys for the swimming information.  This is a good example of why groups like this can be helpful in our training.  I took the advice and looked at Ken's link to swim workouts and also took a look at the swimsmooth website.  Both had some good helpful information. 

I have not had anyone critique me but I am sure that my swim form is not very good.  I am taking a look around the gym to see if there is anyone there that could watch me swim and give me some help in this area.  As I'm sure is the case with most beginners correct breathing is the most difficult to learn.  However, I took the advice from the swimsmooth website and concentrated tonight on simply exhaling underwater.  As I was going through the workout I kept repeating to myself "if your face is in the water you should be exhaling".  It actually helped, so when I get comfortable with this step I will move on to the next.

Used the link provided by Ken and found a good 700m workout that I followed tonight and felt afterward like I had made some progress.  It helped a great deal to have a specific workout to follow instead of just getting in the pool and swimming whatever I felt like swimming.

On call at the hospital from Friday through Monday morning so my workouts for this week could very well be finished.  I still feel like I "owe" myself another 3-4 mile run so hopefully I can get it in but I can't count on it.  If it happens it happens, if it doesn't then Monday starts another week.

Thanks again for all the great advice--Wendall

2012-04-12 8:06 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Wow, swimsmooth is great.  Thanks.  That's my focus right now. 

2012-04-13 5:24 AM
in reply to: #4147425

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Fokker416 - 2012-04-12 9:06 PM

Wow, swimsmooth is great.  Thanks.  That's my focus right now. 

I've got to check it out -- always looking for good swimming advice. Thanks again to the OP for recommending it.

Ken
2012-04-14 5:14 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Off to my first tri of the year! Hope everybody has a great weekend -- be sure to post your questions, comments, or observations. Happy training!

Ken
2012-04-14 9:26 AM

Good luck Ken and everyone else with races this weekend!
2012-04-14 3:26 PM

User image

New user

Ken,

Good luck and have fun. Look forward to hearing how you did.
Rich
2012-04-15 1:30 PM

User image

New user

Ken,

Hope you did well with your triathlon this weekend.  

Well, Paris Marathon is over (I finished).  Big lessons learned; I let my injury (PF) become an excuse for not properly training (longest run in prep for this race was only about 13-14 miles and only did 3 of them), and it came back to bite me during the race.  Bottom line, listen to my body; and if I decide not to, then I need to ignore it all the way and continue with the training plan (though the former choice would be better).

I was doing well the first half (hit the half-way at 1:47), but it really started crumbling just short of the 30km point.  Not really in the lungs, heart, stamina piece, but my foot just started screaming and the cramps (leg) his HARD.  It took me over an hr to finish the last 7km (less than 5 miles).  Well, back to the drawing board.

Tomorrow will be an easy (30-45min) swim with Tuesday being my second time back on a bike in over a year.  This week will focus on processes (transitions and riding) and stay FAR AWAY from running.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend and were able to "blow some steam" out on the roads or in the pools.  Back to the office for the week ...

Rich

2012-04-15 2:47 PM

Rich,

PF is tough, no doubt about it.  It's great that you were able to pull off a marathon regardless!  Says a lot about your determination.  Having myself been plagued by foot and shin problems, I understand the urge to get out and try to push through it... only to regret it when I'm done. I found taking a break from running to focus on biking and swimming to be helpful (at least I could channel my energy into activities that didn't re-injure things).  Here's to injury free training as you get into triathlon mode.

Grats again on your marathon!

2012-04-16 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4151867

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Rich --

Tough break on the marathon, but nice display of grit to push through to the end. Take your time moving on -- every marathon takes some time to recover from, so no need to be hasty!

My race: I'll give myself a "B". I'll be putting up a race report on my blog later, for those who want all the details, but overall it went well. I wasn't quite sure what kind of shape I was in because of a bout of pneumonia about 6 weeks ago, but I felt good on the course and finished with a comparable time to last year (2:30 for an Olympic-distance race).

A good start to the season, all in all! Any good training by the rest of the crew? And don't forget, Boston is today!

Ken
2012-04-17 5:08 AM
in reply to: #4152761

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
What's on tap for everybody this week? Hopefully you're enjoying some of the great weather we've had in the mid-Atlantic states! Although it looks like rain on Saturday -- not good when you have a 4-hour bike scheduled :-(

I don't doubt that I've missed answering a question or two along the way -- post it up again if I've been remiss in answering anything you're curious about.
2012-04-17 7:36 AM

User image

Ran yesterday after work and I can tell that my run is suffering a little because I have been bringing biking and swimming into the mix this year.  On my runs I can definitely feel that my quads and upper body are stronger, but I am still a bit heavier than I like to be this time of year and runs have been slower than previous years where I have been just running and nothing else.  Anyone else encounter similar situations?

I am going to concentrate on bringing more volume of runs into my weekly training because chances are I will do some running only events this year and there is no chance that i will do any biking or swimming only events. 

On another note I was thinking of trying a practice indoor triathlon this Saturday.  Something on my own at the gym.  Nothing high intensity but just to see what covering the distance will feel like.  I feel like I can complete the workout because I'm looking at less than 1.5 hours total time.  Any thoughts on this, is it too early (tri is 11 weeks away), or would it be a good idea to go ahead and give it a shot? --Wendall

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  

of 9