Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-05 1:26 PM
in reply to: #629940

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: JCJSC00's Group - FULL

I am a firm believer in combining HR and RPE.  (I kind of need to be, I have some things where I can go all day, but I just can't "push" the pace any harder or I blow up - just have to listen to the body and find what that line is that day).

Where I would probably target is low zone 2 for the first 5k then build to upper zone 2 and hold it there.  Then as you said, with 5k to go, read what you have left and push it.

Do you have a race target?

I don't know how hard you were working on your long runs, but if they were zone 1/2 I would think 8:15-8:45 pace would be very realistic and "comfortable" (maybe even a little quicker)

Don't know if these ramblings help, but could provide some food for thought.

2007-01-05 3:32 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I've been doing my long runs in Zone 2. So you think a 9:45 pace is too slow to start? Running is by far my weakest event and part of that is due to poor pacing on my part. So that's why I've got lots of questions and all feedback is welcome.

Pam
2007-01-05 4:16 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Sorry, I missed your pacing goals in my earlier post.   My guess is that your base is still good from 2006, you have the speed, you are not starting with a swim and a bike.  You should have the endurance to go.  I would think, start comfortable and then go for 9:05's and adjust as necessary. 

You know your body and the work you have put in.  You just ran 7:07's for 2 miles.  I believe you can hold 9:00's and be within yourself.   

Check out this site, maybe it can give you some ideas

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm 

2007-01-05 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Cool. Thanks for your input.
2007-01-06 6:11 PM

User image

I modified my swimming sessions to include advice from Pam (Barqhead). I think I am improving already! Pam ran her first Half Marathon today. Congratulations!

Helmuth
2007-01-07 6:43 AM

User image

I am going to a place near Cartagena (beautiful, declared World Heritage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartagena,_Colombia)next Wednesday for a week. We will be staying in a house near the ocean (I LOVE the ocean). I will not have access to a conviniently-sized pool. Any advice on how to train for swimming in the ocean?

Thanks!

Helmuth

2007-01-07 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I don't have much ocean swimming experience besides playing at the beach. Perhaps Scott can offer some tips since his ironman will start with a swim in the Gulf of Mexico. All my OWS have been in lakes. I'll still PM you some other workouts for when you return to the pool. Have fun on your trip!

Pam
2007-01-07 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis metro east , clinton co Il
I have picked out two duathlons and two sprint triathlons for this year( with the possibility of others) to compete. Three of them are in columbia Mo and the other in effingham IL. I might do one in springfield Il. The first two are the duathlons. I picked those as I am not a strong enough swimmer yet to be able to do A full tri.. The first tri is in may then july...the the duathlons are march and april.. I am also gettimg my USAT membership so I can save a little $$.. The checks will be in the mail on monday for these .. I have set my goals and believe them to be very attainable..for now I will train.. If aybody knows how to make a very( and let me stress very) inexperienced swimmer swim I would be greatfull.
2007-01-07 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Good job on the race calendar! Let me ask how inexperienced are you? Can you swim with your face in the water? Do you know any strokes? Do you swim like Tarzan? Deep water freak you out? Also, please remember I'm not a coach. I'm a swim instructor trying to advise people I can't see. So the more info you give, the better my advice will be.

Pam
2007-01-07 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
well I'm pretty new to swimming. I can tread water. But to swim forward without the doggie paddle is not pretty. I have the total immersiion book and am still trying to work on the first set of practice items. I can't move forward too fast. My legs tend to sink about halfway down the pool. I am slowly getting better. The people at the pool tend to look at me funny as I am trying to teach myself how to swim. Any other advise would be helpful.. I will be swimming in the morning. I will try to pay attention to what I am doing so I can explain it better. Thanks for the help.
2007-01-07 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Try out your TI drills and post any questions after your swim. I'm not sure if this is one of the drills or not, but I like to start out my adult students with it. All you are doing is pushing off the wall. Don't kick, don't pull. Look straight down at the bottom of the pool, squeeze your ears with your shoulders. Your arms should be straight with one hand resting on top of the other. Your legs should be straight and squeezed together. Your toes are pointed at the wall you just pushed off from. Once you stop moving forward, stand up. While you're gliding, think about keeping your body straight and long (like in-line stabilization of someone with a spinal injury). Push off 4-6 times and then move on to your other drills. If I can run a half-marathon, you can learn how to swim

Pam

2007-01-07 5:32 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Cool Pam, I have never heard it described like that before.  If I grasp the purpose of what she is saying, it is to help you feel - as Terry McLaughlin in "TI" puts it - "The long clean body lines".  I see where that can be a great way to get a feel of "support and balance" in the water.

As for ocean swimming, I am like Pam, I have only ever played in the water.  November will be a new experience for me unless I can get to the ocean or gulf before then.  From what I understand, a lot of the principles are the same plus you get the added benefit of the salt water bouyancy.  The biggest difference comes from getting to 'time' the crests of the waves coming into shore.   

2007-01-08 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Sorry so late my dial up was not working.. I started off with what u suggested.. worked pretty good...then moved on to the TI workouts.. This is what I noticed...my legs are rocks they sink..my lungs don't like water.... when trying to turn my head while moving, if my legs are up they drop, then i swallow water...I can't seem to get things in order, maybe it comes with practice... I felt good when it was clicking...im not sure about leg kick.. I try to keep a fluid motion but it turns into flailing...I don't know how much this helps, I know I need alot more practice. Any tips would be a great help.

PS sorry about my writing I type like I write my reports.. alittle broken

Thanks Guys
2007-01-08 5:52 PM

User image

I think Pam's swimming advice is really good. Would it make sense for Pam to post her recommendations on this forum, so different people could benefit at the same time? Also, in his book, Hermann Aschwer recommends you have someone videotape you while you swimm, so you can watch your style. This may be a possibility to show other people in this forum how we swim, in order to get advice.

Helmuth

2007-01-08 6:08 PM

User image

Scott,

I was looking at the logs of your swimming sessions, and saw several words I do not understand: zipperswitch, doublezipperswitch, triplezipperswitch,... what are those?

Thanks.

Helmuth

2007-01-08 7:55 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
That is my biggest complaint about Total Immersion. I don't see any drawings or explanations of kicking. Otherwise, I think it is a great program for new swimmers. I'll talk a little bit about form here in the forum. Swimming is all about body position. The more prone you are in the water, the more efficient you will be. That's why I gave you those push off drills to start with, Brian. Scott was right that I wanted you to feel what it is like to move through the water with a nice, long, straight body position. I'm glad those went well. My next step for you would be to repeat those same drills again 4-6 times. After you feel yourself gliding nice and straight and long, try to add a kick. Keep your arms extended just like the push off drill,stretching them as long as possible in order to keep your hips at the top of the water. When you kick, your toes are pointed at the opposite wall, your legs are straight, but relaxed. Picture someone standing above you with strings attached to your heels pulling them up to the surface of the water, one at a time. This is a really small, but quick movement of the feet. You don't want huge kicks that create lots of splash with a huge bend in the knee. Think of pulling your feet up instead of a downward push. You should feel your quads moving your legs. Once you lose your forward momentum or you need to breathe, stand up and return to the wall. Repeat this 4-6 times then go on with the TI drills. If I could demonstrate a good kick for you, I would be laying on the ground tapping the floor with the top of my feet. My toes are pointed. Legs are straight. When you kick against the ground notice how you have to pull up with your heels. The ground prevents you from too much downward motion. I hope this makes some sense. Part of the reason you are getting water when you turn to breathe is because your legs are dragging the rest of you down. If we can get you where you can kick along at the top of the water, your side drills and breathing drills will become easier. Sorry this is so long, guys. I can always PM anyone with specific questions and workouts. Since you are starting from square one, Brian, you have a great chance to swim with good form and without some nasty habits that we pick up as children. Keep up the good work.

2007-01-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: #646984

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

trihtrefftz - 2007-01-08 5:08 PM Scott, I was looking at the logs of your swimming sessions, and saw several words I do not understand: zipperswitch, doublezipperswitch, triplezipperswitch,... what are those? Thanks. Helmuth

Those are some of the names of the Drills in "Total Immersion".  (It is broken down into 4 lessons with 3 or 4 drills in each lesson)  It is a progression to "building" a balance swim stroke - What Pam is doing/demonstrating in her post.   

2007-01-10 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Hope everyone's week is rolling along smoothly. I have some more running questions (I'm a very needy runner). I've been thinking about my half-mary performance and I raced it just like I trained. Slow and methodical. My question is how to get more comfortable at a faster pace? I've read lots of things on this site that say just do three runs for different amounts of time at a comfortabe pace. I've also gone to some running sites that say don't add speedwork or hills until you can run 20 miles per week. I spent last summer battling shin splints and ITBS. I want to be healthy, but I want to get faster. Any ideas? BTW, my next race is the first weekend of March. It is a 10K. I would looove to go sub 50minutes.

Thanks,
Pam

2007-01-10 3:18 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I believe you have all the tools and the training to go sub 50 in a stand alone.  Our trainnig times and paces seemed somewhat similar over 2006 (I may have put in a little more mileage but I don't think significantly moreso).

Speedwork may not be necessary but maybe one solid tempo run a week.  I was generally running 3-4 days a week, with one day being "long easy", one day being "a quick 5k" and the other two were between 5k and 4.5 miles with pace and distance depending on how I felt, time work allowed etc. 

I have been blessed to have strong/healthly legs and joints (as long as I avoid soda's and lateral movement sports) so I am not sure how to incorporate preventative measures so you don't repeat last years issues.
2007-01-10 5:53 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
So just practice holding an 8 minute per mile pace for like 3 to 4 miles once a week? I know I need the LSD once a week, but what about the 3rd run? I had been doing another middle distance easy run but I don't think that's going to help me go faster. Unless you think that increasing my base endurance might help my speed. See? Extremely needy runner!

Pam
2007-01-10 8:49 PM
in reply to: #649838

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

barqhead - 2007-01-10 4:53 PM So just practice holding an 8 minute per mile pace for like 3 to 4 miles once a week? I know I need the LSD once a week, but what about the 3rd run? I had been doing another middle distance easy run but I don't think that's going to help me go faster. Unless you think that increasing my base endurance might help my speed. See? Extremely needy runner! Pam

I firmly believe I would play that 3rd run by feel.  You are right, even if it is easy, it will build your base endurance.  This time of year, I am working to keep everything in Zone 2 - unless I am picking a day to just "Play". 

One thing that helps me duing the "regular" season is I run with a couple of people at work.  One guy just wants to push it everyday, I am the one holding him back by trying to stick to the plan.  Once in a while I "let" him push the pace when I am supposed to be easy. Other times, he pushes the first half of the run, then I try to ensure we keep that pace to the finish.  I guess what I am saying is, it helps to have folks to run with willing to do and capable of doing some various training paces and just have fun. 

2007-01-11 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Thanks for the advice. I'm planning an easy 7 miler tomorrow. I'll try to incorporate your ideas into my schedule the week after next. We're out of town this weekend and next week is rest & test. I get really intimidated running with others. I feel like I'm holding everyone back. I guess I need to "suck it up, buttercup" and find some folks who run "slightly" faster than me. Have a good one!

Pam
2007-01-13 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Between the posts here and people's logs, It reminds me that what you tell youself can be as important as putting in the miles/yds etc.  I love the bike, have potential and ancient history on the run, but I need to keep reminding myself of where I am going in the water.  Attitude can make a huge difference.  When I think about how much room I have for improvement in the water and how far I have come, it is much better than focusing on where I am right now and how I compare to those "kids" I see at swim practice or those 75% of the people who get out of the water ahead of me. 

I can swim, I am improving and I am going to reach my goals.

2007-01-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: #653479

User image

Spring, TX
GREAT attitude!! It is amazing what effect the sub-conscious mind can have on your individual results and outlook. Positive thoughts, affirmations and visualization are great techniques to use. I don't remember the exact statistics, but it takes approximately ten positive thoughts to erase one negative thought. Stay positive and your times will improve.
2007-01-17 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I don't consider myself negative, but realistic. Ok, I'll admit I'm negative when it comes to running, but I think my expectations are realistic. How can a realist think positive thoughts without feeling like they are kidding themselves with unrealistic ideas?

Pam
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JCJSC00's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6