Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-05-16 9:53 PM
in reply to: #803664

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - OPEN

kevdia - 2007-05-16 5:49 PM If there is room, I would like to be in your group. I am a first timer, 33 yo, maried father of two who just recently started training for a sprint tri in sept. More on me later. Hopefully there is room, I could use some direction in my training!!

Welcome kevdia.  Please let me know more about yourself when you get a chance.   

2007-05-16 9:56 PM
in reply to: #803756

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Miler - 2007-05-16 7:05 PM Hey David, I was just curious if I could join your group. I'm signed up for Ironman Wisconsin in September and could use all the help I can get. I've noticed you already have a few people, so I just thought I would see if it was possible for you to take on another. MT

Welcome aboard, Matt.  Congrats on signing up for IMMOO.  As you probably read, I just did my first IM last September.  So, I can certainly share my experience of training and racing my first IM.

Please let me know a little more about your background, especially cycling, when you get a chance.  

2007-05-16 10:10 PM
in reply to: #803804

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

JBrashear - 2007-05-16 7:49 PM A little of my background: I started training for a duathlon in December of '05 and did my first duathlon in April '06. Since then I've done a few sprint tris, another duathlon, and the 8 mile route at the Turkey Trot. I do about a 2:00/100m swim, about a 26min 5k, and on the Wednesday rides I stick with the intermediate group and average anywhere from 18-20 mph depending on the ride. David, let me be plain. Right now my motivation to train is at an all-time low. My girlfriend thinks it's due to me stressing out about the upcoming oly in Austin(CapTex, my first oly) plus the new job I started and I think she's probably onto something. The end result is that training is a whip these days, I'm not enjoying it like I used to(mainly the swimming, I still like riding & running). I'm interested in the mentor group, but I don't want to take up a valuable spot someone else could occupy if you don't want to deal with trying to motivate me. So I'll leave the decision up to you: would you rather spend your time & energy on someone else who's more amped to train or do you want to take me on as a challenge? Either way is perfectly fine by me, and I won't be offended if you say you'd rather take someone else. This is your time and I want you to make the decision that's best for you.

Jonathan,  thanks for being honest with me.  I'm happy to try to motivate you in every way that I know how.  We all need that from time to time. 

First of all, I did CapTexTri for the first time last year and that was one of, if not the, best race I've ever done.  The bike is just so fast and fun.  You really feel like you're racing b/c the course is 4 loops and there is a lot of people on different loops, so you're whizzing by people and other people are passing you.  It's great!   It might be just what you need to get back into the swing of things.  

Secondly, it's natural to experience mood swings in training.  Lord knows I certainly felt burnout many times last year.   Most of the time, a day or two off helped me re-coup and then I wanted to get back to training.   Also, I've found that a change in training location really helps too.  Last year, I tended to ride and run the same route by my house all the time, and that got old quick.   But whenever, I found a new route or did a rally somewhere across the Metroplex, that helped.

Finally, since you're in the Metroplex, we should try to get together and ride sometime.  I can show you some of the nice horse country out here in Flower Mound.  I'm also averaging about 19-20 mph right now.  

P.S. I might not be the best person to motivate you to swim as it's my least favorite of the 3, but tolerate it most of the time and it is a nice break from the riding and running.  

2007-05-16 10:27 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

New user
USERNAME: Miler
NAME: Matt Sheehan

STORY: I started running the summer after I graduated high school, so the summer of 2004. No high school cross country or track. I did my first race and caught the bug. 5k's only that first summer. The following summer my father did his first sprint triathlon, that is when I decided if a 40 something year old man can do one, I could do one. So the summer of 2006 was my first sprint triathlon and that 40 something year old man kicked my butt. I didn't train all too much that summer and didn't see much fitness gains.

The start of my junior year of college has really been the start of my athletic endeavor. I ran my first marathon in September of 2006. After reading Ultra Marathon Man I trained for 4 weeks and was able to run the whole race, but nothing spectacular (Something just above 4 hours). I started training my butt off for the triathlon season. I decided to see if the Illinois Wesleyan Track team would take a walk on; they did. I started running track, and they ran me in the 1500m. I haven't got my time down, but nothing spectacular (4:45). I beat my dad in an indoor triathlon for the first time in January.

I just started the season with a couple sprints in the last two weeks with some good results. One 2nd and one 3rd in the central Illinois area. And looking at a lot more sprints and a couple big ones in the upcoming summer.

FAMILY STATUS: Son, and I suppose I'm dating.

CURRENT TRAINING: I do everything by minutes, besides track work and tempo's
Monday: 40 minute morning run -- 90 minute evening run
Tuesday: 30 minute morning run -- 90 minute evening ride
Wednesday: 6 mile Tempo run -- 2500m to 3000m swim
Thursday: 40 minute morning run -- 60 minute evening ride; 40 minute evening run
Friday: 30 minute morning run -- 90 minute evening ride
Saturday: 2500m to 3000m swim -- Track Work (800's and 1000's)
Sunday: 120 minute to 180 minute ride

LAST YEARS RACES: Dewitt Crossroads Triathlon; Naperville Sprint Triathlon; Quad City Marathon; Tri Melon Tri; Elmwood Sprint Triathlon; Misc. 5ks.
THIS YEARS RACES: Multisport Mayhem Triathlon (1:12:55); Sullivan Sprint Triathlon (1:09:00); Quad City Triathlon; High Cliff Half Ironman; Naperville Sprint Triathlon; Harbor Lights Triathlon; Ironman Wisconsin.

Weightloss: I'd be more than happy to hear some gaining tips, if anyone has them.

*I'm more than happy to entertain questions as well.
2007-05-16 10:31 PM

User image

New user
No cycling background, I'm most comfortable 20-21 mph in my sprint races. I should probably Time Trial this weekend anyway. Any advice, should I time trial something like a 30k or something longer to get a feel for pushing the longer distances?
2007-05-17 3:54 AM

User image

Expert
Hi David,

My name is Pene (pronounced like Renee) and I am 40, a divorced mother of three kids (ages 9,6 and 4). I have absolutely no athletic background, but just decided at 40 to become one! I did one little indoor tri in March and have my first outdoor tri June 10 (400 y swim, 17 m bike, 5K run). Other races this summer include another smaller outdoor tri July 4 if my ex really truly takes the kids that day (now he's saying he might not and he lives in Ohio--I'm in Wisconsin), the Bix 7 mile run in Davenport Iowa, two Aquathons in August (1000 y swim, 5K run), a century ride over Labor Day (WHAT was I thinking?????), a Half marathon the end of September, and a Full marathon October 28 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. My long range goals are to do the High Cliff Half IM next June (the Hoyt's will be there this year and I may go hear them and watch the race, but there's a seminar that weekend that I really should attend.....), and to do IM Madison 2008.

What I am wishing for here is to practically train, considering my obligations (self employed Doctor of Chiropractic, 3 kiddos), and some honest evaluation of my current abilities (or inabilities!) and some periodization!!

I have more ambition than talent, but would take some real coaching very seriously. I am also a member of Prof 40's group, since January, but it is sort of falling apart. Folks are going their own ways or dropping out, and though I think the world of Prof, he is a super Ironman dude with no kids, and is more of a laid back fellow that just sends you an encouraging and funny comment now and then. He is convinced that my IM dream is NOT unreachable, given my progress so far, but there are days when I seriously wonder what ever got into me for thinking this is a real possibility. My fastest mile is pretty darn slow--9:49--and I have a nice tribike that I'm just now starting to get out on the road, but I ride the brakes cuz I'm still rather chicken about speed on the fragile little thing (mountain bikes just feel so much sturdier!).

Oh yes, I'm also an asthmatic and am getting over adrenal failure (which is why I divorced my alcoholic husband in the first place--much less stress=healthier and alive me!) So, there are days when I just have to listen to my body and give it a rest.

Any hope for me????? (I also box in my living room for stress release, cardio and fun, so that's what the picture is all about. No real boxing matches yet, but the thought has crossed my mind to try the Tough Guy/Gal contest next March)

2007-05-17 4:06 AM

User image

Expert
Oh, the swim.... forgot to tell you about that! I actually just learned to swim properly this year. Took lessons at the Y. Now I'm up to 2000 yards in practice, but am somewhat addicted to flippers! I let myself have them because my newly muscular legs want to sink and they help me to float soooo much better! I did get my wetsuit on and in the water last week for like all of 10 minutes just to see if the darn thing works for me like the flippers and it DOES!!! Yeah!!! But, I'm really slow with the swim due to the lack of conditioning. It took me a whole hour to do the 2000 yards, even with flippers. Well, at least I'm putting my face in the water now.......

As far as weight goes, well......I was rather heavy after the adrenal deal (lots of dexamethasone injections in my legs for 18 months--steroids make you eat everything in sight!) and am down to 150 (I'm 5'7"). I was at 140, then started really hitting the weight training and doing all this tri stuff, and put on literally 10 pounds of muscle! My size 6 jeans still fit fine and I know I didn't get any fatter, but the gain freaked me out for awhile. I'm really at a standstill for fat loss, though, so any hints with that would be appreciated. I still want to fit into that wetsuit next year, and plan to keep up the weight training, so it is entirely possible that the scale will go up a bit yet before going back down. I have one of those bioimpedance scales, but the thing is very, very inaccurate with the body fat percentage with muscular folks.
2007-05-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: #804090

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Any hope for me????? (I also box in my living room for stress release, cardio and fun, so that's what the picture is all about. No real boxing matches yet, but the thought has crossed my mind to try the Tough Guy/Gal contest next March)

Pene,

Thanks for sharing.  You definitely sound like a very busy, but motivated individual.  I like it!  Although I do yet not have kids, I have learned a bit about time management and "how to fit it all in" in my 3 years of tri training.  Being a self-employed, single mother of 3 will definitely impose some severe time constraints, but I suspect that you're already pretty good at time managing other areas of your life besides training, right!?  Hopefully, I can help you find time to train and just as importantly recover.  Also, I know a little about periodization, so I can help you there too.

I love it that you have the IM dream like so many other triathletes.  I truly believe that anyone with the right determination and commitment can complete an IM.   It will take a lot of time to train, and it will push your physical, mental, and emotional limits, but that's what triathlon is all about.   Exploring your limits.  What are you truly capable of...

One of my favorite quotes is from T.S. Eliot: "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." 

David 

2007-05-17 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Thank you, David! My goal is not to beat out anyone, just to master my own little inner demons and finish (hopefully not dead last, as I'd hate to have to trip a 70 year old lady at the finish line, even if she DID need that hip replacement anyway!!)

Do you think it is reasonable to try for IM Madison (September 2008)? Or is September 2009 more realistic? I had considered IM Florida because it is supposed to be so flat and easier, but I'm like 2 hours from Madison, and it just seems so much more practical to go there for training purposes. They tell me it is hilly, but I live in the very best hill country!! So I won't have to go far to get used to them.

Miler--I'm all ears for you to tell me about the IM Madison course! I picked this forum because of David's expertise, but also because I thought it would be perfect to learn from your experience with it this year! I do have a sort of email friend who is an ironman and told me Madison isn't that bad, but he's already an ironman. And I'm a total beginner. So, clue me in, please. I'll have to sign up right after this year's race as it closes right away!

I'm working on increasing speed with the runs, and did the weights portion of a speed plan for the first two weeks. They suggested that to really increase strength, you only do 5 reps of the absolute most weight you can do. If you can't do 5, then you decrease the weight. If you can do more than 5 easily, you add weight til 5 is the most you can do! It was AMAZING how much stronger I got QUICKLY with that! Like I tripled the weight I could do across the board. Now I'm trying to do more flexibility with Yoga and PNF stretches on a roller, if you know what that is! And I'm learning to do plyometrics which is supposed to really help with speed. But, my lungs can't really keep up with my strength and ambition, so I'm still rather slow. I'll take all the advice you guys can dish out here. I've noticed from some of your logs that some of you are really getting fast!! Congrats with that!! How you do 26 really fast miles without collapsing is still a complete mystery to me.........

I am a believer in nutrition, though, and started taking a bunch of oils. I really like Udo's Choice, as it is a BUNCH of plant based oils rich in DHA omega 3's. I read a study from Denmark where they fed that to athletes who increased their strength and endurance unbelievable amounts from just adding that to the diet! I hate swallowing the oil, but reward myself with a dark chocolate and coconut organic treat as a chaser I'm also taking omega 3 fish oil with CoQ10 and try to eat salmon whenever I can. My mom brought me some that my step dad caught in Lake Michigan just last weekend! Hopefully I won't glow from the mercury that might be in it!!! The oil I take is certified to have the mercury and other toxins removed, but who really knows.......
2007-05-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #804006

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Miler - 2007-05-16 10:31 PM No cycling background, I'm most comfortable 20-21 mph in my sprint races. I should probably Time Trial this weekend anyway. Any advice, should I time trial something like a 30k or something longer to get a feel for pushing the longer distances?

Matt, Thanks for giving me some detailed info about yourself.  You sound quite fast, and appear to have great potential.  It also sounds like you've primarily been focusing on sprints which is great.   However, since your doing IM Wisconsin, you'll probably want to slow down quite a bit and teach your body to burn more fat as fuel instead of just glycogen.  This aerobic "base building" process takes time and you should probably start now since IMMOO is in Sept. 

Do you train with a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)?  If not, I'd really recommend getting one.  In fact, I'd really like everyone in this group to have one.  

To answer your question about "time trialing" this weekend, you're welcome to do one, but longer (3-6 hr) and slower rides are going to serve you better for your IM prep.

David 

2007-05-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: #804478

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Do you think it is reasonable to try for IM Madison (September 2008)? Or is September 2009 more realistic? I had considered IM Florida because it is supposed to be so flat and easier, but I'm like 2 hours from Madison, and it just seems so much more practical to go there for training purposes.

It's probably a little premature for me to try to answer that question, but we have until Sept of this year to decide, right!?  But, IM Wisconsin is definitely the best choice for you if you're only 2 hours from Madison.  Being able to ride the actually bike course in training is a huge mental benefit.  I rode the full Redman bike course twice before my race, and I'm so glad I did.  It gave me the mental confidence to know that I could do it, and to know what to except out there on race day.  Invaluable!

I've noticed from some of your logs that some of you are really getting fast!! Congrats with that!! How you do 26 really fast miles without collapsing is still a complete mystery to me.........

It appears that we have a diverse group which I love.  I think we can all learn from each other.  Me included.  Getting faster is great and is an appropriate focus for a lot of triathletes.  However, I think most if not all of us, would benefit from working on becoming more efficient before trying to get faster.   Efficiency can be defined a number of ways but I like to think of it in 2 simple ways: 1) Slowly getting faster at your fixed aerobic heart-rate 2) Teaching your body to burn more fat instead of sugars.

Another one of my favorite quotes is : "Speed is icing on the cake, and you don't have a cake yet!"  You must build a strong, aerobic base/foundation before you should start worrying about speed.  Much more on this soon...

2007-05-17 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
I'm stalling on my bike ride this morning til it warms up a bit (48 degrees here), but will just have to get out there and suck it up!!

I do have a heart rate monitor and will take all the advice you have to give on aerobic conditioning and fat burning for endurance. Dear Prof just doesn't use his and sort of poo-poo's all that. But, I want to do this the right way, and don't really care if it takes the rest of my life to do it. I don't have time to be injured or in cardiac arrest!!!

So far, I think this is absolutely the right place for me to be learning right now. Thanks for sharing with us!!!
2007-05-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: #803767

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kp41 - 2007-05-16 7:15 PM More information about me. 41 YO, 175 lbs. Married with 4 kids. I started weight training to lose weight January 2003, was 230 lbs. Started running March 2005. Started triathlon training March 2007 (My training log is now on line). Nutrition was in check from 2003 until 2005. I still watch what I eat but am not as restrictive as I used to be. I have ran several 5K's and one 1/2 marathon. As I stated earlier my first tri is this Saturday, from there I would like to start training for a HIM in 2008 and do 2-3 more sprint/oly tri's this year. My training has suffered the last couple of weeks due to recovery from the 1/2 marathon.

Kevin,

Congrats on the weight loss, and good luck with your first tri this weekend. Enjoy and experience every minute of it. You'll only get to do your first tri once! It's a special race!

About the wetsuit... Be sure to apply some vaseline or BodyGlide around your neck so that you don't get chafed. Also, if it's a full, be prepared for it to feel a little restrictive in your arm movement. However, this is counter-balanced with the fact that is makes you so much more buoyant. That's the best part about a wetsuit. It corrects a lot of our body positioning problems!

A couple of other pointers: Your race is more like an OLY distance than a sprint, and thus you should be pretty conservative in your pacing on the bike. Also, be sure to take in plenty of sports drink and/or gels/bars on the bike. You'll need the calories on the run. I don't know if you've done many brick workouts (run immediately after biking), but if you haven't, be prepared for your legs to feel pretty stiff and immobile after biking 24 miles. They should loosen up after 10-20 minutes however. Again, pace yourself, 5 miles is not a short distance after biking 24!

Please let me know if you any more specific questions.

David

Edited by dgillen 2007-05-17 10:36 AM
2007-05-17 10:34 AM

User image

New user
David,
I have a Polar S150, and to be honest it confuses the heck out of me. And I agree, it's about time to start putting in the miles.

Phoenix,
I saw that you are going to be running the Bix 7. I live in Bettendorf, IA and love the Bix with all my heart. Just curious if you had done it before, because it is by far one of the best short distance road races ever. Also, I'm guessing I will be driving up to the Madison area a few times to try my legs on the IM bike route, so I'll let you know what I think. Unless of course, it eats me alive.

Everyone,
I think I picked the right group.
2007-05-17 10:48 AM

New user

David,

I just recently signed up for a sprint tri here in Richond Virginia. I have never done anything like this but have always thoguht it would be fun and challenging. I come from basically an athletic background growing up. I grew up around the water so I am basically a fish and playing all sorts of sports. I am not overweight or anything but want to do this just for myself as an accomplishment and challenge and see where it goes. I have just started training this week but haven't started posting my training log yet. I need to figure out how to do that. The distances are 400 yds swim, 12.4 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run. Individually the three aren't a problem, granted I need to work on mt running but togetehr is completely different. I would love to pick your brain and get some avdice via this forum.

Thanks,
Ed ould
2007-05-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: #804604

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Miler - 2007-05-17 10:34 AM David, I have a Polar S150, and to be honest it confuses the heck out of me.

I've used a Polar S625X for about 2.5 yrs now, and I still only use about 40% of it's capability!  So, don't feel bad about being confused.   However, an HRM is such an important tool in my opinion, and we all should learn how to use one to maximize the quality of our workouts. I can help with this. 

I'll be talking a lot about heart rates, HR zones, and lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR).   I really feel heart rates are the best way to gauge intensity until you have the years of experience to rely on your perceived exertion.

Matt, this HR training will be really important for you since you'll be training for an IM this year.  Much more soon...

Everyone, I think I picked the right group.
Glad to hear it.

2007-05-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #804636

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

hatch7508 - 2007-05-17 10:48 AM David, I just recently signed up for a sprint tri here in Richond Virginia. I have never done anything like this but have always thoguht it would be fun and challenging. I come from basically an athletic background growing up. I grew up around the water so I am basically a fish and playing all sorts of sports. I am not overweight or anything but want to do this just for myself as an accomplishment and challenge and see where it goes. I have just started training this week but haven't started posting my training log yet. I need to figure out how to do that. The distances are 400 yds swim, 12.4 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run. Individually the three aren't a problem, granted I need to work on mt running but togetehr is completely different. I would love to pick your brain and get some avdice via this forum. Thanks, Ed ould

Welcome to the group, Ed.  And welcome to your soon to be addiction that is triathlon!  I hope you'll love it as much as I do.  

Tell me more about your race.  Which race, When? Where? 

2007-05-17 12:05 PM

New user

David,

The race is Aug 26th in Richmond Virginia. It is the Richmond Sprint Triatholon. the swim takes place in a pool. The bike course shouldn't be too bad. It is basically rolling/flat with one decline and one good climb and the run is flat through neighborhoods here in Richmond. I didn't want to go out and buy an expensive bike in case I hated it but if I like it I will definately make the purchase so I am borrowing one of my friends road bike. What other gear besides clothing should I get to prepare for the event. I saw you talking aboue about a heart monitor. What all does that do for you. Is it one worn on the wrist with a combination time/stopwatch. Sorry for all of the newbie questions but I alos want to be prepared.

Thanks,
Ed
2007-05-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: #804857

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

hatch7508 - 2007-05-17 12:05 PM David, The race is Aug 26th in Richmond Virginia. It is the Richmond Sprint Triatholon. the swim takes place in a pool. The bike course shouldn't be too bad. It is basically rolling/flat with one decline and one good climb and the run is flat through neighborhoods here in Richmond. I didn't want to go out and buy an expensive bike in case I hated it but if I like it I will definately make the purchase so I am borrowing one of my friends road bike. What other gear besides clothing should I get to prepare for the event. I saw you talking aboue about a heart monitor. What all does that do for you. Is it one worn on the wrist with a combination time/stopwatch. Sorry for all of the newbie questions but I alos want to be prepared. Thanks, Ed

Don't worry about newbie questions.  That's why you're here!  Ask away!

HRM is a watch and strap worn around your chest.  It feels a little funny at first, but then you don't even realize you have it on.   It will tell you your instantaneous (and often average) heart rate while exercising.   Used appropriately, it can help pace you to ensure you're getting the most out of each workout.  It can be used on the bike and on the run.  You certainly don't have to have one for your first tri, but if you can afford the $50-$100 for a basic one, it could be a good investment.

You'll obviously need a helmet and a tire pump if you're friend doesn't have one.  You might also want some "tri shorts"  These are tight fitting spandex shorts that have a minimal, quick drying chamois (pad) in the crotch for a little extra comfort on the bike.  These shorts are nice for racing because you can swim, bike, and run in them!

David 

2007-05-17 12:36 PM

New user

Is HRM a brand name or just a generic name for the device? Is there a specific one that you would recomment and can I get one from the on-line store in this website or where should I look.

Thanks,
Ed
2007-05-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: #804940

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

hatch7508 - 2007-05-17 12:36 PM Is HRM a brand name or just a generic name for the device? Is there a specific one that you would recomment and can I get one from the on-line store in this website or where should I look. Thanks, Ed

Sorry, HRM is just an acronym for Heart Rate Monitor, not a brand.  The Polar brand is pretty much the standard HRM manufacturer, and I've had 2 of there products and loved them both.  I'm not quite up to date with all their models, but their website is pretty good.  If you find one you like let me know the model number and I'll let you know what I think.

2007-05-17 12:48 PM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
I had a question about the HRM, I see some with straps and some without straps. Any thoughts on one over the other?

Thanks
Dave.
2007-05-17 12:54 PM
in reply to: #804961

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

armydad - 2007-05-17 12:48 PM I had a question about the HRM, I see some with straps and some without straps. Any thoughts on one over the other? Thanks Dave.

If you're talking about a HRM without any chest strap, then I would doubt that it would be as accurate as one with a chest strap.  I haven't seen too many without a chest strap.  Can you give me a reference? 

The chest strap really isn't a big deal though. 

2007-05-17 12:58 PM

New user

At your convienence, can you take a look at the Polar S150. It states that it is geared more towards people new to the sport. I doubt it has all of the bells and whistles as the other models but I don't know if I need all of those yet.

Sorry to keep bothering you,
Ed
2007-05-17 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Dave,

I am curious as to the mentor program and what it is designed for. 

A little about me.  I was fairly athletic as a kid/young adult.  I played mainly basketball (1 year in college) and ran x-country in Junior High.  Gained some weight when my wife got pregnant 3 years ago but was nevery really large.  My max was 6'7" 240.  I am now down to 205 - 210 and13% body fat.  I still struggle to watch what I eat/drink but I have too many foods that I like. 

I ran my first race, a 5K, about 2 years ago and finished in 31:00.  I increase to my first 50K last November and finished in 6:30 with a bad knee.  I have done probably 6 races over a half mary distance plus several 5K's.  I ran a 5K yesterday in 22:30 so my time as dropped considerably in 2 years.  I did my first tri last October (Monster Tri) with very little training and placed 80 out of 280.  My swim was not good (230th) but I finished.  I did my 2nd tri (St. Patty's day) and improved a little (maybe 1 minute) and now am looking forward to OWS races this year.  I would say that I am generally in the top 1/3 of finisher but really am looking for a little more personal advice than the threads offer to help me out in my training.

I did my first OWS last week end and it was a disaster and I was wearing a wetsuit, which most of my races I want to do this year I cannot so I am worried.  My plan for this year right now is the Metroplex sprint in June and Ironhead Dallas olympic in July.  Depending how they go I might do a 7 week bridge type program and attempt the Praireman in September.  I am also hoping to to the CapTexTri next weekend (First Tri Sprint) just to get used to the swim.

Please let me know if you think the mentoring program would help me out.

Thanks - Ken

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36