BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2007-06-18 8:25 PM
in reply to: #849010

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - OPEN 1 spot left!
Dave- you are in if you want to be!
Welcome!

2007-06-18 8:27 PM
in reply to: #849077

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Jane- You are the last one, but not the least!
I will read everyone's posts later tonight. I am in Anaheim on business and have to go out to dinner (darn!)

Mortons anyone?

I will get back to everyone tomorrow....have a great night!
2007-06-19 10:38 AM
in reply to: #849749

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Thx  looks like I'm the token male
2007-06-19 4:23 PM
in reply to: #849699

Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - OPEN
Hi Suzie- I went to the Promotion website(got the 10% discount for being a member of BT which was nice) I went with the Fluid Drive full wetsuit and am very pleased with it, it was not the most expensive but I am finding that the fit chart worked well and many of the problems I have read about in regard to arm motion etc have not been an issue. It is very comfortable through the chest as well. I think for my first suit its great!Sounds like you have water temp similar to new hampshire..good luck finding a suit, keep us posted. Donna
2007-06-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: #821775

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - COSED! ;o)
sure is quiet in here..  Jeanne, Good luck Sunday ! Race well
2007-06-22 6:52 PM

Hope all is going well for everyone! I am wondering how important it is to know how to change a bike tire? My first race is in less than two weeks and it suddenly occured to me that I have NO clue how to change a tire...I have a tube and some tire tools the bike shop sold me that they put into a nice little behind the seat bag, but no instructions on how to use them..I feel really dumb but when I asked if they could show me they said not enough time. Any suggestions on how to learn this, or maybe I shouldn't worry about it..Any suggestions appreciated..Donna

p.s. Jeanne good luck on Sunday!

2007-06-22 8:41 PM
in reply to: #856623

User image

San Antonio, TX
Hi Donna,
I finished my 1st mini sprint last weekend. It was great! Good Luck! I dont think you should worry too much for the 8 miles, if you get a flat just keep filling it up till the end. I changed out the tube on the bike I borrowed and it wasn't too hard so I think you will do fine if you have to change it.

I need some advice on running. I hate it while I am doing it but love how I feel afterward. I entered a 5K for July 4th. I did a 5k on the treadmill last night (38 minutes and my thighs are sore today) and I was wondering if I should just stick to practicing that distance and do it every other day or try to add distance?

Would also like to say hello to the rest of the gals and the token!

Good luck this weekend Jeanne!

Lynn
2007-06-22 9:05 PM
in reply to: #856704

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

Hi Lynn and Donna,

Donna, it's always a good idea to know how to change a flat - if not only for a race but for training. Would not be a lot of fun to be 10 miles from home with a flat and no way to fix it!

Here is a good video for the basics;

http://www.ehow.com/how_224_change-flat-tire.html

Lynn, it's only a couple weeks before the 5k - i wouldn't say do this distance every time before the race, maybe every third time but be sure to have some recovery runs and some speed work too if you'd like. I guess it depends if you want to finish or go fast(er).

Enjoy the experience of running in a group... they will pull you along. 

Thanks for the welcome! and yes, good luck Jeanne!

dave

2007-06-23 5:59 AM

Regular
Hello,
I can't remember if I was able to get in your group. I haven't posted in a while becasue of company. I hope I am in.

But I was wondering is it possible to train for a sprint and a half marathon at the same time. If yes how so. How do I arrange my training schedule.

For the swim is the breaststroke acceptable?

When I ride the bike I get sore from the seat is there anything to do about that?

I am going to ride my first tri on my mtn bike and I am not real fast. is that ok for my first Tri? Seems as if I push myself but I don't seem to go real fast.

2007-06-23 8:49 AM

Lynn and Dave-Thanks so much for the advise and direction, will look at the video this weekend and see what I can do! Will update everyone soon..Donna
2007-06-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #856810

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

at the risk of hijaaking the question..

Tanya, I can't answer about a sprint and a half mary. but the other questions -

Breast stroke is Ok for the first one there is no rule you have to do freestyle (front crawl). But i recommend you practice your front crawl - take lessons - get the Total Immersion books by Terry Laughen (sp?) -  if you read further up in the post; one of the group took the TI class  she'd be a good resource to ask about that.

Saddle sores? without getting too personal - depending on where they are you might have some seat adjustment to do. Nose up or down a little can make a big difference. Your local Bike shop should be able to help. And yes a mountain bike is fine for your first triathlon. It doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of cash on a bike  that you may not use beyond one year. 

By the way if your bike currently has those big gnarly tires - they are slow on pavement. You could go to the bike store and have them put on something with less tread or even road "slicks" - you'd be faster and it'd be cheaper than a whole new bike.

If you feel the need to get a road bike - depending on your resources, - start with used... it'll be  much faster than the mountain bike.

it's just my opinion but the first one is about having fun - checking it out and enjoying a new level of fitness.

Sorry Jeanne for jumping in but you seem busy

2007-06-23 11:38 AM
in reply to: #849699

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - OPEN
Hi Suzy,
I have a top of the line suit. Which I LOVE! You don't have to spend a lot to get a good suit these days, which is nice. I have a blue 70 Helix.
2007-06-23 11:47 AM
in reply to: #848228

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
txmarm23 - 2007-06-18 9:05 AM

Hi Jeanne:
I just finished my first mini sprint yesterday! Enjoyed it. But I am quite slow on bike/run. Would like to join your group if the one spot is still available. I have no real athletic background. Maybe synchronized swimming when i was 12 counts a little. I am a decent swimmer though just need to work on the every other stroke breath thing, I always feel like I am going to drown and go back to breathing every stroke after about a 50.

**OK, Don't worry about the breathing. I breath every left side. I can only do 3 strokes if I am going really slow. If you want to work on this do hypoxic sets....4 x 50 yards, 3, 5, 7, 9, strokes in between each breath. You WILL slow down...that is ok.
-----------------------------
I have a borrowed bike that is heavy but it is the best I can do right now. If I keep pushing it around will it help me when I can afford to upgrade or should I just spin at the gym to train?

**A heavy bike is a good training partner. Once you can get or want to get a new bike you will fly!
Spinning at the gym is great! I do that in the winter to keep in shape. After a spin session hop on the treadmill for 10 minute run. Then work your way up fo like 30 minutes) Oh what fun!
BUT there is no subsitiute for riding on the road. You need to learn how to handle the bike, climb and descend, corner and start/stop.
-----------------
Running? Not good but I feel it is improving.

**Just keep at it. What makes you feel that it is not good? Change your attitude! You are doing more than most people, remember that when you are banging out your miles.
If you are having trouble improving, we can talk about heart rate training.
-----------------
What got me started on this triathlon path was a indoor tri at the gym. The event was on a Sunday I decided to try it on Wed before the event and started the run/bike training then in April. Did not do too bad thanks to the swimming. Now that I have done this sprint also I really have the tri bug. My legs are sore today but I assume I should get right back to training tomorrow. I am thinking about entering a 5K on July 4th.

**UM, I know this is late, but you should take a day off after the race. YOu can spin for 30 minutes or swim easy, but no running!

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Lynn
2007-06-23 12:00 PM

Regular
For a sprint Tri do you need to supplement during the race?

For a half mary do you need to supp during the race?

What are the nutritional rules?

How do you keep training in check without over training?

Tanya
2007-06-25 4:12 PM
in reply to: #850429

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Those are some good odds!

2007-06-25 4:21 PM
in reply to: #856942

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
tanyab - 2007-06-23 1:00 PM

For a sprint Tri do you need to supplement during the race?

For a half mary do you need to supp during the race?

What are the nutritional rules?

How do you keep training in check without over training?

Tanya

Hi Tanya,
thanks for being patient with me racing...I will post a race report later!

Sprint races generally do not need suppement or fuel, but if you are going to be out there for a while I recommend it. I would eat a gel every 35 minutes if you are going to be out for over an hour. Have one on the bike and it should help you on the run. I also eat one right before the start of the swim for an extra boost.

For a half marathon, I recommend you try different things while training. Try a sports drink, try a gel or two. It again, depends on your pace and how long are you going to be out there.
What is your current pace and expected time for finishing?
Of course you can do sprints and a half mary!

To keep your training in check, monitor your heart rate. In the morning before you get out of bed, take your pulse. Do this for a week and get your average. If you drop below, you are over tired, a little above is ok. For example, I average 54. When training hard I go up to 60. If I drop below 51 I know I am tired and need to back off a couple of days to recover.

Also if you find youself wanting naps more often or you get to the point where you don;t want to train, take a day off or go do something completely different and fun.

Good Luck and have fun!

2007-06-25 4:29 PM

Regular
Jeanne-
thanks for the response. If I am training for a tri and half mary how would I arrange my training?

I am not sure about times right now being that the sprint and 1/2 will be my first.

Tanya
2007-06-25 4:30 PM

Regular
I do about a 9 minute mile so I guess the half can be figured that way.
2007-06-25 4:33 PM
in reply to: #859600

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
tanyab - 2007-06-25 5:29 PM

Jeanne-
thanks for the response. If I am training for a tri and half mary how would I arrange my training?

I am not sure about times right now being that the sprint and 1/2 will be my first.

Tanya

I would do the swim and bike training the same (as the plan you are on), but make your runs longer to get ready for the 13.1 miles.
What is your running schedule like right now?
2007-06-25 4:37 PM

Regular
I am incorprating Hal higdon plan into my tri training. I am a little nervous about the bike because I am only biking 1-2 days a week. short and long ride. I really want to do a tri but have been focusing on the 1/2.
2007-06-25 6:47 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: Fueling response.....

Can I weigh in on the fueling question for a half marathon?  I recommend it.  Your body can store about 900 calories of carbs so if you burn 70-100 calories per mile that means you are carb depleted before the end of the 13.1m race (assuming you are running at a higher than EZ day HR which allows you to burn some fat with the carbs). 

I am on the small size (4'10", 100lbs) so only burn about 70 calories per mile or 940 cals, but to be on the safe side I supplement with 1 8oz bottle of Infinit which is 70 cals.  I am running close to the danger zone and probably could ingest more, but this seems to work for me.   Race conditions are different from training, but you could run a hard 13.1m several weeks before the race and test out the option.

I have a good word doc on fueling calculations if you are interested in it PM me.

Suzy

2007-06-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: #859614

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Tanya, I think it is great that you are focusing on the 1/2 Mary. It is a great distance and you will be a better athlete for the work you put into it. You should look at the bike training as helping your cardio and running overall.

Don't be nervous about the bike. Triathlon is all about confidence. What is the distance of your sprint race? If you can do that confortably, you are set to go! If it is a 12 mile bike, ride 15-20 for your long rides on the weekend and you have done more than the distance you need to cover for the race.

As for eating on the run, at the 1/2 mary i did I had 2 gels and should have had 3. I ahd one at the start, one about mile 7 (60 minutes into it). I should have had one at the start, one at mile 4 and one at mile 8. I would have had just a little more gas in the tank for my finish. I ran a 1:59 race that was a lot of work for me. I usually can;t break 2 hours but i was very determined to run as fast as I could for as long as I could.

On a side note, I brought my gels with me and drank Cytomax that was on the course. You NEED to train with what is on the course to make sure your stomach can handle it.
2007-06-26 2:31 PM

Regular
Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o)
Thanks for your reply.

My sprint is a 800 yard swim, 14 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run.

What gels do you recommend? I haven't tried any.

Tanya
2007-06-26 8:41 PM
in reply to: #861281

User image

Champion

Tanya

I have been trying to figure out how to send you the word document.  I thought there was an attachment function, but cannot seem to find it.  If all else fails I will cut and paste it here.

Suzy 

2007-06-26 8:47 PM
in reply to: #861281

User image

Champion

Tanya

I have been trying to figure out how to send you the word document, but it is too large.  Here is a snipit from it.  To give credit, it came from Kim MUeller at the Infinit web site. I use this as well as my own calculations to get my calories dialed in.

Suzy 

Step One:              Determine running calorie expenditure per mile (A)

0.63 x body weight (pounds)

Step Two:              Determine goal race pace or how many miles/hour will you cover? (B)
                                Example: An 8-minute miler will cover 7.5 miles/hour

Step Three:           Calculate hourly expenditure based on goal race pace (C)
Example: An 8-minute miler would multiply 7.5 by the figure from step one.

Step Four:             Determine hourly calorie replacement needs (D)

*0.3 x C
*Research shows runners can physically absorb about 30% of what they expend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o) Rss Feed  

of 12