General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with WW) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-10-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1007235

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Subject: RE: We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with W
Hang in there, Marcy! Just keep doing what you're doing and the scale WILL catch up.

2007-10-16 5:01 PM

User image

Greeley, Colorado
Subject: RE: We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with W
Yay! WI last night, and I was down 3.9lbs. I was grinning from ear to ear.

Have any of you noticed a pattern of weight loss/gain that relates to your menstrual cycle? (Sorry any men hanging out in here!) I was talking to a friend today about this, and it seems that the week before our period is up or steady, and the week following is a big loss. It would make sense, with water retention, etc. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this...testing our theory.
2007-10-16 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
WTG Emily!!! That's a fantastic loss!

I had a hysterectomy just over 4 years ago, so no more cycles for me. Before that though, I definitely would bloat and be up a couple of pounds each month around that TOM.
2007-10-17 7:07 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
Emily that is soooo awesome! Way to go! In regards to your question I usually do have a gain or steady week either week before or week of then back to normal so maybe there is a connection. Have a good day everyone! Jana
2007-10-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1011515

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

WTG - congrats Emily

and yes, I definitely have noticed that pattern!  Once I get to lifetime, I know which week will not be my WI day - LOL

2007-10-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1011515

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

It is COLD here in SF

I had a good day yesterday, lots of great information and met some really cool people

I think I've been doing pretty well on the food front.

Melissa, how's it going for you?  are you surrounded by chocolate?

2007-10-17 1:14 PM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
The food aspect for me has been fair, however, I did go over my weekly extra points by 11 this past weekend, OOPS!!!! I have not gone any other day this week and I have had to get extra activity points by uping my running distances everday. Hopefully it will even out, keeping my fingers crossed anyway !
Cooking dinner for my mom today it is her birthday, going to be hard. Her favorite way to eat ( and mine as well, wonder where I learned it? LOL) is to have tapas. So that is what I am making. If I can just STAY OUT OF THE CHEESE!!!!! SmileyCentral.com

Ok now that I have told someone I feel like maybe I will hold myself a little more accountable! J
2007-10-17 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
I'm not surrounded by chocolate ... YET! My retreat doesn't start until Friday night, so I'm still good for now. I'm definitely feeling very motivated right now, so I'm hoping that will give me the strength to say NO to all the chocolate this weekend.

For those with the Nike+, I have another question. Could I just put the sensor in my Shoe Pocket? I already have it on my running shoes to keep my locker key in at the gym and there still lots of available room in it. I was just thinking it that would work, it would keep me from having to get the other little holder in the link Laurie posted a few days ago. Thanks!
2007-10-17 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1012278

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

janaleigh79 - 2007-10-17 1:14 PM The food aspect for me has been fair, however, I did go over my weekly extra points by 11 this past weekend, OOPS!!!! I have not gone any other day this week and I have had to get extra activity points by uping my running distances everday. Hopefully it will even out, keeping my fingers crossed anyway ! Cooking dinner for my mom today it is her birthday, going to be hard. Her favorite way to eat ( and mine as well, wonder where I learned it? LOL) is to have tapas. So that is what I am making. If I can just STAY OUT OF THE CHEESE!!!!! SmileyCentral.com Ok now that I have told someone I feel like maybe I will hold myself a little more accountable! J

It does seem to help!  Happy Birthday to your mom!  I hope you enjoy your dinner!

ps - I love cheese too!

2007-10-17 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1012829

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

BunnyB - 2007-10-17 5:05 PM I'm not surrounded by chocolate ... YET! My retreat doesn't start until Friday night, so I'm still good for now. I'm definitely feeling very motivated right now, so I'm hoping that will give me the strength to say NO to all the chocolate this weekend. For those with the Nike+, I have another question. Could I just put the sensor in my Shoe Pocket? I already have it on my running shoes to keep my locker key in at the gym and there still lots of available room in it. I was just thinking it that would work, it would keep me from having to get the other little holder in the link Laurie posted a few days ago. Thanks!

Ahhh, I misread when the chocolate was going to come into play - you have been doing great and so I'm sure you will say no.  Although, give yourself permission to have some if that is what you want - back to that whole planning to be bad thing - LOL

Yes, the rationalization queen strikes again!  LOLOL

2007-10-17 7:17 PM

New user
Hi there. I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, but that's mostly because just over two weeks ago...

I did my first triathlon!!

It was great. It took me much less time than I expected, and although there were other surprises, too -- it was windy, and the water was very rough; the "rolling hills" cycling course was only "rolling" compared to the Alps!; and the "flat fast" run was... well, it wasn't flat in my mind! -- But the race was incredibly fun and exciting, and when it was over, I had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I really was so proud of myself. And to top it all off, I set a PR in the 5K portion -- my fastest 5K ever! (I think I was just really ready to be done at that point, and ready to eat breakfast!)

I think the best thing about the race was the atmosphere, though. There were lots of first-timers, and people were really supportive all around. And I don't know if they always do this in tri's, but everyone had their age written on the back of their calves, which was both odd and wonderful. Every time a woman in her 40's or 50's would pass me, I would just be so inspired (I'm 33) -- and I'd think to myself, "That is totally the kind of 49-year-old I want to be!"

So it was really inspiring, and I definitely think I'll try it again next year.

Following the race, I took a week off of training hard and point-counting, and then another partial week... then I went out to Portland for a 5-day vacation which involved lots of erratic eating of delicious but fattening food. I was afraid I'd gained tons of weight in this 2-week free-for-all and gotten completely out of shape.

But low and behold: on Saturday, i went to WW, and I was exactly the same weight as I'd been two weeks earlier -- 130.6. That felt like a victory. A minor victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Then I left immediately, skipped the meeting potions, and went to run a neighborhood 5K. My time was just about where my time has been settling all summer, 31:32. Not as fast as I'd run at the triathlon, but not too bad for me.

So if you got to the end of this long, long posting, thanks for listening! It's nice to be part of this little group and share my victories with y'all!

letitia

2007-10-17 7:19 PM

New user
One other thing to mention: I decided to try giving up processed sugar and flour starting today, just for a week or two, to see what the effects are -- on my body, my mood, my weight.

Has anyone else out there tried this? What did you find? Did it affect what/how you ate after workouts? (I'm trying to figure out how to replace my much-loved luna bars!!)

2007-10-17 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
Birmingham, Michigan
I think you're smart to give up processed sugar and flour. I try to do the same. I have much more energy when I eat WHOLE, unprocessed foods. As for the Luna Bars, try Larabars instead. They are made of all raw ingredients... fruit and nuts basically... and they are really good.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you feel!
2007-10-17 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1013025

New user
yes, I was thinking about Larabars today. Thing is. they don't have very much protein, and that tends to be what I eat bars in order to get -- a convenient source of protein immediately after a workout, especially lifting weights. As far as i can tell, all the bars that have more than 9 or 10 g of protein also have processed sweeteners.
2007-10-17 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
WTG Letitia!!!! Congrats on finishing your first tri!

2007-10-18 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1012829

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

BunnyB - 2007-10-17 6:05 PM For those with the Nike+, I have another question. Could I just put the sensor in my Shoe Pocket? I already have it on my running shoes to keep my locker key in at the gym and there still lots of available room in it.

Melissa, yes the pouch will work, as long as the sensor stays in the correct position.  I think one end of the sensor has to be on top or it won't talk to the ipod.  It says in the instructions which way it has to be mounted on your foot.  I have a Road ID foot pouch on my other foot that I got after I got this sensor velcro thingy with all my emergency info on it as well.   

2007-10-18 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Congratulations, Letitia!  Wow, you did a PR in your 5K AFTER a swim and a bike!  That's impressive.  You rock! 

2007-10-18 8:35 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
Letitia-- AWESOME!! That is soooo great! PR AFTER all the other legs of the race, you should be very proud of yourself!! Good to hear from you again!

Melissa- like Laurie said you can use the pouch just be sure that the sensor cannot bounce around a lot. Before I had the Nike shoes I was using a shoe "wallet" and it worked 75% of the time. It was just too big and the sensor could get turned upside down and it would stop being useful at that point. So the smaller the pocket for the sensor the better.

Ok so my tapas feast for my mom went well. I traded the higher fat cheeses for goat cheese and did not leave any olive oil out for dipping so I would not be endangering myself lol. Lots of hummus and veggies for me. Ok found a REALLY yummy recipe in all of this:
Get one pack of those grape or cherry tomatoes ( yellow or red or both, lol) and cut them into halves. then add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Let them sit for a few hours before you use them and put them on anything, bread, salad, etc. It is so simple but I just did no expect that they would be THAT good. I think the tomatoes were very sweet so that helped. In the recipe you melt some mozarella on pita bread and then top with the dressed tomatoes but I think they would be great on just about anything.

Ok sorry for the rambling! LOL
Have a great day, Jana
2007-10-19 10:00 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
It is soo quiet lately where the heck is everyone LOL. I chickened out and used my no weigh pass today. Sucks but my home scale was not pretty. Not sure what is going on I think maybe leaving those few activity points everyday is hurting me more than helping me. I raise my running milage this week too by a half to a whole mile each day depending on the scheduled distance.
Just going to keep chugging along though I guess, hopefully one day my metabolism will catch up to me. I feel thinner the numbers jsut are not there. I am going to measure myself in the AM and see what kind of inches I have lost if any. Maybe that will make me feel better. Have a good weekend everyone! Jana
2007-10-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1015381

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Don't feel bad Jana!  I'm going to do the same thing.  I just got back from 5 days in San Fran, so...........enough said - LOL

I actually always retain a ton of fluid whenever I travel, especially when I fly - it's the weirdest thing!

It has been quiet around here this week.  I guess some weeks are like that.

I'm going to hit the eliptical over lunch (i even remembered to bring deodarant!)

What's in store for everyone's weekend?

Mine should be much easier than the past couple of weekends - no big parties planned.

My son goes back to school tomorrow :-(

2007-10-19 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1013436

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

janaleigh79 - 2007-10-18 8:35 AM Letitia-- AWESOME!! That is soooo great! PR AFTER all the other legs of the race, you should be very proud of yourself!! Good to hear from you again! Melissa- like Laurie said you can use the pouch just be sure that the sensor cannot bounce around a lot. Before I had the Nike shoes I was using a shoe "wallet" and it worked 75% of the time. It was just too big and the sensor could get turned upside down and it would stop being useful at that point. So the smaller the pocket for the sensor the better. Ok so my tapas feast for my mom went well. I traded the higher fat cheeses for goat cheese and did not leave any olive oil out for dipping so I would not be endangering myself lol. Lots of hummus and veggies for me. Ok found a REALLY yummy recipe in all of this: Get one pack of those grape or cherry tomatoes ( yellow or red or both, lol) and cut them into halves. then add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Let them sit for a few hours before you use them and put them on anything, bread, salad, etc. It is so simple but I just did no expect that they would be THAT good. I think the tomatoes were very sweet so that helped. In the recipe you melt some mozarella on pita bread and then top with the dressed tomatoes but I think they would be great on just about anything. Ok sorry for the rambling! LOL Have a great day, Jana

the recipie sounds awesome!  I'm going to email it to myself - LOL

Glad you had a nice b-day dinner with your mom!

2007-10-19 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1012993

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

springcomes - 2007-10-17 7:17 PM Hi there. I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, but that's mostly because just over two weeks ago... I did my first triathlon!! It was great. It took me much less time than I expected, and although there were other surprises, too -- it was windy, and the water was very rough; the "rolling hills" cycling course was only "rolling" compared to the Alps!; and the "flat fast" run was... well, it wasn't flat in my mind! -- But the race was incredibly fun and exciting, and when it was over, I had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I really was so proud of myself. And to top it all off, I set a PR in the 5K portion -- my fastest 5K ever! (I think I was just really ready to be done at that point, and ready to eat breakfast!) I think the best thing about the race was the atmosphere, though. There were lots of first-timers, and people were really supportive all around. And I don't know if they always do this in tri's, but everyone had their age written on the back of their calves, which was both odd and wonderful. Every time a woman in her 40's or 50's would pass me, I would just be so inspired (I'm 33) -- and I'd think to myself, "That is totally the kind of 49-year-old I want to be!" So it was really inspiring, and I definitely think I'll try it again next year. Following the race, I took a week off of training hard and point-counting, and then another partial week... then I went out to Portland for a 5-day vacation which involved lots of erratic eating of delicious but fattening food. I was afraid I'd gained tons of weight in this 2-week free-for-all and gotten completely out of shape. But low and behold: on Saturday, i went to WW, and I was exactly the same weight as I'd been two weeks earlier -- 130.6. That felt like a victory. A minor victory, but a victory nonetheless. Then I left immediately, skipped the meeting potions, and went to run a neighborhood 5K. My time was just about where my time has been settling all summer, 31:32. Not as fast as I'd run at the triathlon, but not too bad for me. So if you got to the end of this long, long posting, thanks for listening! It's nice to be part of this little group and share my victories with y'all! letitia

Awesome!  Loved reading the post, thanks for sharing!!!

2007-10-19 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
I've been off my game this week, big time, and am expecting a 2# gain on Sunday. Do I feel bad about that? Nope. This is the longest I've ever stuck with WW, so I'm thrilled. I'm still not able to get out and run like I want to, and it's affecting my attitude (plus DH is getting over his surgery and has an attitude too), but I'm giving myself until Sunday to "suck it up, Buttercup," then I'm getting back in the game. No plans for the weekend, thank goodness.
2007-10-19 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Went for WI today.  Expected it to be much worse, but I actually lost 0.2 from my last WI which was two weeks ago (191.2).  Missed WI last week due to family reunion in the Poconos, where I did not worry about staying on plan.  By the time I got home, my ankles and knees were swollen and my rings were tight from not drinking my water, eating too much salty food, and drinking too much beer (and I don't even drink beer normally!).  My scale is finally returning to normal after a week of staying on plan and drinking water like a fish!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2007-10-19 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1015577

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2007-10-19 11:04 AM I've been off my game this week, big time, and am expecting a 2# gain on Sunday. Do I feel bad about that? Nope. This is the longest I've ever stuck with WW, so I'm thrilled. I'm still not able to get out and run like I want to, and it's affecting my attitude (plus DH is getting over his surgery and has an attitude too), but I'm giving myself until Sunday to "suck it up, Buttercup," then I'm getting back in the game. No plans for the weekend, thank goodness.

we all go through those tough times!  I'm sure it's not helping that DH has attitude as well - you'll have to tell him to 'suck it up buttercup' as well - LOL

way to hang in there and not give up!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with WW) Rss Feed  

of 3