General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winning Together -WW and friends of WW 11/18 - 11/25 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-11-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1059032

User image

South Shore MA
Subject: RE: Winning Together -WW and friends of WW 11/18 - 11/25
I saw this on a thread a couple of years ago and I copied it because it impacted me so greatly...I thought of it w/ this swimming discussion. I'll have to search the forums to see where I saw it originally, but I wanted to share it w/ you:

I found this in an old email form Triswimcoach. As my swimming gets better I try to read it to remind me of how far I have come in almost a year.

"An Open Letter to the Guy at the Pool This Morning
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

I saw you. You were at the pool this morning for the same reason you're reading this: you've been thinking about doing a triathlon. You haven’t swum since you were a kid, so you got up early and came to the pool at the Y before work. I knew as soon as I saw you. How did I know? I was you a year ago. I went through the same thing. The only reason middle aged guys who aren't particularly fit and who don't know the protocol for getting into a lane show up at the pool at the Y at 6:30 in the morning is because they're thinking of doing a triathlon. I've asked them. Every single one has answered in the affirmative.

At first you noticed that everyone was wearing skin tight Lycra suits and that the people your age seemed to be in a lot better shape than you. You realized that you may just look as out of place as you felt. Rather than just get in, you stood at the edge of the pool looking around for someone or something to tell you it was ok to get in a lane. Once the lifeguard or another swimmer explained that pool’s particular variation of lane etiquette, you got in and proceeded to slowly fight your way to the other end of the pool, turn around at the wall and make it most of the way back before standing up on the bottom out of breath and shocked at how hard it was.

Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. You tried a few more times, and after a few "laps" you got out, looked at the other people swimming so effortlessly back and forth and thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

This is when the decision gets made: Are you going to do a triathlon or not? Sometimes you go back to the pool for one or two more tries; usually you don't come back at all. I haven’t seen you back at the pool after 2 weeks. You’ve given up the idea of doing a triathlon.

If you gave up because swimming is too hard, that's too bad because you're wrong. It isn’t easy, but becoming passable isn’t all that tough. Swimming is different than cycling and running; starting from scratch, with no technique, you’re just not going to get very far. It's going to take you anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks of going to the pool at 2-3 times a week and swimming for 10 to 20 minutes in small chunks before you start to build anything like endurance. Six weeks, tops. It's really hard at first and then, after a few weeks, there's a breakthrough session where you feel like you can just keep swimming. And you do. You swim for half an hour straight, no breaks.

The feeling of being an outsider in an alien environment goes away right then. You feel as if you belong there. You are a swimmer. You don’t even feel silly walking through the locker room in Lycra jammers.

Read all you can about swimming technique, buy a book or DVD, or, even better, take some lessons. But don't stop trying because it seems ridiculously hard at first. Don't let those first few attempts stop you. Getting through those 3-6 weeks can be tough mentally and physically, but you can get through them.

You know the pictures you’ve seen of a race right before the start with all those triathlete swimmers standing around in wetsuits and colored swim caps? At least half of those people went through the exact same awkward first day at the pool that you had. They just decided not to let it stop them. They decided that triathlon is about overcoming mental and physical challenges, and swimming was number one on the list.

You can either be the guy who thought he might like to do a triathlon but gave up because swimming seemed too hard, or you can be one of those people who finished a triathlon despite those first few practice swims.

Go back to the pool."

2007-11-20 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1062350

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
MrsUSMC - 2007-11-20 12:21 PM
lastcall2003 - 2007-11-20 10:16 AM

Hi Teri, you're doing great! And you DO deserve the space in the lane!! How many people do you generally have to share with?

I'm reall spoiled - I hardly ever have to share

We just joine a fitness center and haven't been to the pool yet. There are only 4 lanes though and that has me nervous. I guess I'll find out this weekend how busy they are. If we go to the military training tank, I usually share a lane with DH.

Hopefully it won't be too busy.  24HR Fitness, did I remember right? 

There is a 4 lane at the one I belong to and it usually ins't bad - but that could be because I live in Nebraska - LOL

2007-11-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1062493

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Carolyn

Thanks for sharing!!!!  That is great motivation for all of us :-)

2007-11-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1062493

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey

The first time I went to swim practice with Team in Training, I sent a message to the coach (so I thought) about please don't make fun of me as I learn to low bubbles in the corner. Little did I know the group he set up had his name, but the ENTIRE TEAM got the email. I was affectionaly (I think) known as "Bubbles" for the entire season.

I recently hired a coach and her observations/suggestions have made a huge difference already (it's only been a month). I think there might be some hope!

Lani
2007-11-21 6:59 PM

New user
I'm so inspired by all of you who are taking up swimming! I was lucky, I think, to start out a pretty confident swimmer, even if I was really, really out of shape and hadn't swum in ages. But not long ago, a friend at the masters' swim practice convinced me to try the butterfly -- a stroke I just don't do. (The last time I did it was because I had to pass the freshman swim test in college, and that was almost 15 years ago!)

• .. But what that experience taught me is that it's really, really hard to teach your body a completely new set of movements, a combination of twists and lunges and breathing and so on that you haven't been doing in that particular combination. Especially in the water. So hats off to all of you!

• On the WI front: I missed last week and this week at my WW meeting, because of being out of town. I might have to start over on my 6 weeks of maintenance. When I went to the gym today, I was 3.8 pounds up from my last weigh-in. Bummer.

I'm taking the next 24 hours 'off' of thinking about points and weight. I'm not going to go crazy, but I want to enjoy the holiday meal without worry. I'll exercise every day that I'm out of town, though, so that should count for something!

I hope you all have a fantastic holiday. And enjoy the food!

letitia
    2007-11-22 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
    Virginia
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I just finished my workout for the day. My meal is pretty simple...thanksgiving isn't bad on core at all. Don't really have any battles to fight, especially since I cooked 99% of the food. Anyway, just wanted to check in. Next on my agenda is turkey in the oven and sitting on my butt to watch football!

2007-11-22 10:36 PM
    in reply to: #1065136

User image

TinkerBeth
    Liverpool, New York

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Beth and Kids

2007-11-23 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
    Oceanside, CA
    Look at all those beautiful faces!

I had a nice Thanksgiving. Melissa came down Wednesday night and we ran in the Oceanside Turkey Trot on Thursday morning. Then we mostly sat around trying to sleep the rest of the day! LOL

I'm cooking Turkey stuff today.
    2007-11-23 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
    Utah

Sounds like everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Mine was great.  I liitle cooking, a little visiting, and a little eating (only 1 1/2 plates and one piece of pie - no dinner )

My friend did bring over this great shrimp cocktail made with Vodka and Clamato juice. 

Hoping that I haven't done to much damage to my progress in weight.  Guess we'll find out Monday am.

Take Care

2007-11-23 1:39 PM

User image

South Shore MA
    I had an invigorating bike ride in the morning before my family arrived...helped keep me on the straight and narrow.

No change since last Friday (169.5)
    2007-11-24 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
    Virginia
    @ wi today, lost 2.5! this is my first week on the program based on my RMR results, so i'm pleased that over thanksgiving i still managed to have such a big loss. hopefully i'll see continued results!

2007-11-24 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
    Owings, MD

I wanted to check in and let everyone know that I appreciate the inspires I received.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  We spent a week in the Outer Banks with family (23 of us under one roof).  We have a lot to be thankful for. 

I've been MIA for going on three weeks now, because friends of ours lost two of their teenagers in a car accident at the beginning of the month.  It's been quite a whirlwind -- hospital visits, viewings, funerals.  Both my teenagers were very close with both of these kids, so they were affected tremendously by their deaths.  Our hearts have been heavy, but we're getting through and hugging each other more, saying "I love you" even more than normal, and just being thankful.  We've been praying for grace and peace for their parents and their remaining daughter. 

After some time off from work and WW, I'm ready to get back to my day-to-day activities, including getting healthy and fit.  Managed to walk and run while we were out of town.  Did not do too well as far as eating goes, but forgiving myself and starting again.  I hope everyone has a great week!       

Laurie 

2007-11-25 10:59 AM
    in reply to: #1066801

User image

TinkerBeth
    Liverpool, New York
    klgray - 2007-11-24 6:38 PM

I wanted to check in and let everyone know that I appreciate the inspires I received.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  We spent a week in the Outer Banks with family (23 of us under one roof).  We have a lot to be thankful for. 

I've been MIA for going on three weeks now, because friends of ours lost two of their teenagers in a car accident at the beginning of the month.  It's been quite a whirlwind -- hospital visits, viewings, funerals.  Both my teenagers were very close with both of these kids, so they were affected tremendously by their deaths.  Our hearts have been heavy, but we're getting through and hugging each other more, saying "I love you" even more than normal, and just being thankful.  We've been praying for grace and peace for their parents and their remaining daughter. 

After some time off from work and WW, I'm ready to get back to my day-to-day activities, including getting healthy and fit.  Managed to walk and run while we were out of town.  Did not do too well as far as eating goes, but forgiving myself and starting again.  I hope everyone has a great week!       

Laurie 

Laurie,

What a difficult time that must have been for you and your family.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

2007-11-25 11:01 AM
    in reply to: #1065831

User image

TinkerBeth
    Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2007-11-23 9:30 AM Look at all those beautiful faces! I had a nice Thanksgiving. Melissa came down Wednesday night and we ran in the Oceanside Turkey Trot on Thursday morning. Then we mostly sat around trying to sleep the rest of the day! LOL I'm cooking Turkey stuff today.

That is awesome Terri!

I bet it was fun, not to mention the fact that it is an amazing accomplishment!

2007-11-25 11:05 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
    Liverpool, New York

Here's the link to the next thread!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=96988&posts=2#M1067090

Edited by lastcall2003 2007-11-25 11:06 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winning Together -WW and friends of WW 11/18 - 11/25 Rss Feed  

of 2