BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-12-31 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1094360

Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Open and accepting applications !.
Hello,

My name is Brendan, 20 years old, from Washington state, and I would love to be a part of your tri group. I'm an experienced swimmer, have ran in earlier years, and like the bike, but have only recently thought about triathlons. I'm in pretty good shape, but I really need guidance and a good workout schedule, because I find myself throwing my body out of wack with inneffective, or at least badly timed workouts. Having a mentor, and knowing others interested in triathlons would be great. I love being active and healthy, so triathlon training sounded really fun and fulfilling in a lot of ways.

My goals for 2008 would be one sprint and one olympic distance triathlon - I'm not sure how many races triathletes generally do in one season.

2007-12-31 10:30 PM
in reply to: #1125562

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi Brendan

Welcome to the group. There are a number of good training plans available on BT which you can load into your training schedule and also load up your races.

Most people pick an A race which is the main race of the season and work back from there so depending on your A race you might just pick an Olympic plan and include the sprint as one of your races/training sessions or if they are a way apart you could start with a sprint plan and then go for the olympic distance plan after that.

Everybody is different regarding there races for the season, my season normally starts in Nov/Dec and goes through to April/May and is made up of races leading to the A race or races, this year is different as my first race of the year was Ironman Western Australia.

For example last year looked like.

Pre-Christmas (Spring)
2 x Sprint Races
1 x Olympic
A Race Half-Ironman (jan)
1 x Sprint
1 x Olympic
2nd A Race Xterra (Apr)

In between the races my training was a mixture of on my own and local tri group training (which is invaluable for support and meeting other people to race/train with) and then swim/run races (500m/5km type of thing) alternate weeks over summer.

Again welcome to the group and enjoy the training.
2007-12-31 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1125391

User image

Veteran
Auckland

I am interested in learning more about training with heart rates, if anyone knows any good references, or information.

I am interested in heart rate training too. There are a couple good articles on this site - I had always used the 220 - age formula, but they talk about how to calculate your real Max Heart Rate so you can train in different zones.

It seems like the training plans use different zones - work harder on the shorter workouts and in a lower zone on the long work out days. Is this right? I have never worked out with a plan like this before so the better I understand it before I start the better.

Training with a HRM is a good start, some plans use this and some use perceived exertion where you work out at the level of intensity that is appropriate for the training session.

I used 220 - age to start with which is a good guide and then you break it down into the different zones for use with the plans, when I first started running I found it really hard to keep my HR down low enough it was either too low (from walking) or too high from running but with time and fitness the rate will come down and it does give you instant feedback on when you are training too hard. During races it will be 5-10 beats per minute higher than in training.

Over this winter I have gone with another model which is a much lower heart rate than 220- and it took a while to get the rate low enough during runs but I found it much easier to go for much longer distances keeping a much lower heart rate than before.

The Polar HRM website will have some good information on starting to train with a HRM.
2007-12-31 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1123870

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Todd

These are the sets I used over Winter, they may not be right for you but you could build your own using this as a guide.

WINDTRAINER: alternate each week each session

SESSION: 1 (55 - 60 minutes)
WARM UP - 10MINS EASY SPIN 90 RPM:SMALL CHAIN RING
1MIN RIGHT LEG, 1MIN BOTH
1 MIN LEFT LEG, 1 MIN BOTH
REPEAT TWICE ON EACH LEG

MAIN SET
5 X 15 SEC SPRINTS ON 1MIN
1MIN HILL 70 CADENCE 70-80% INTENSITY (big chain ring) + load
REST 30 SECS
2MIN HILL
Rest 45SEC
3MIN HILL
Rest 1MIN
4MIN HILL
Rest 90 SECS
5MIN HILL
Rest 2MIN
6MIN HILL

Easy Spin 5 Minutes Cadence 90
5 X 1MIN AT 90% intensity with 1 minute recovery

SESSION 2: (40 - 45 minutes)
WARM UP
10MINS EASY SPIN RPM 90
5 x 20 sec sprints on 1min

MAIN SET:
5 x 4min Hill Climbs with 60sec rest

5 x 2min cadence 100-110 Intensity 80-90% with 60 sec rest

Cool down: easy spin 5-10mins

2007-12-31 11:53 PM

User image

Hello - Guy, are you still accepting app's...it looks like you have about 10 people.

I'm 29, married to a beautiful supporting wife we have 2 kids - 2 and 1 month. I live in Commerce City, Co.

I have a background in running - track from middle school to high and biking - raced mountain and road in college. But, I'm horrible at swimming...I swim like a rock and have no idea how to even float - and like others I can't swim 1/2 a length without scooting to the side for breath. I'm in decent shape and could loose maybe 5 pounds, but I haven't done much in a LONG time (years) so I need to redevelop a base in all my sports...

I'm pretty ambitious and competitive - but suck at follow through. I want to do a couple of sprints and one olympic this year and poise myself for ironman 70.3 or full ironman championships next year in 09. After that - I want to dominate my region in sprints and olympic.

Currently, I'm working on base miles...and swim technique so I'm using a modified version of the swim focused 20 week sprint plan with.

I like this group cuz of the Colorado and ironman focused flavor.
2008-01-01 1:34 AM
in reply to: #1125629

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Welcome to the group, I think we should close the group now otherwise it's going to get too big.

We do have a few people from Colorado which is good.

I guess you know what you are going to need to focus on now - Swimming. It's is extremely frustrating but I found will patience and practice (perhaps some masters swimming or the TI swim cd's) you will suddenly find a few good strokes the light will go on and voila suddenly swimming becomes your friend and the first part of the race becomes enjoyable not just something to get through so you can get onto the bike.

I will post an update with all the group details and we can go from there.

Happy New Year everybody and bring on 2008.

2008-01-01 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1125606

User image

Apple Valley, MN

Thanks for passing along the trainer work-out.  I'll give it a try.  Much appreciated.

Woke up early this morning to 2 deg F and -16 F windchill.  Bundled up and went out for a 6 mile run.  Didn't take the dog though.  A bit too cold for him. 

Also weighed myself this morning.  Dropped to 203 lbs.  Yahoo! Just need to stay focused on maintaining current calories.  Envision myself running 15 pounds lighter.

Happy New Year to everyone!

2008-01-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1125629

User image

Apple Valley, MN

Good morning Lyric. 

Just a quick note on the swim.  I started training for tri's 15 months ago.  I too found the swim to be the most challenging.  There I was, half a length of the pool, exhausted and coughing up more than my fair share of the water.  Within a few months though, I was swimming 1500 meters.  For me though, I've been working with a swim coach.  Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd be motivated enough to hit the pool each week.  And I know I wouldn't push myself as hard.  I signed up through our school district.  It's a heck of a lot less expensive than a club.  Best for the frugile minded, like me. 

Best of luck to you.  We'll be watching your progress throughout the year.

2008-01-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1125823

User image

Subject: Freezing cold runs...
Thanks for letting me in. I am working with a total immersion coach to develop technique and after I've got it...I'll prolly just hit it on my own...not sure yet, I'm not there yet.

I woke up this morning and just went running...not realizing how literally freezing cold it is. 18F! I'm from Atlanta, GA this is waaaaaaay too cold to be running. But, I did it anyway and thought about all the people I'm going to beat as inspiration. I tried to use that inspiration as warmth to heat up my frozen fingers...but it didn't work...

Base mileage is kinda boring...it's hard to stay at such a low level of exertion - I always want to go faster.

Anybody got any good mental games to maintain such a low exertion level while putting in the miles and minutes?
2008-01-01 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!!
I usually just load the ipod with some good music (subject to debate) and go with that for the base mileage and I try to run to/from somewhere to make it interesting whether it be along the waterfront or off-road rather than just around the block.
2008-01-01 3:40 PM

hey
does anyone have any nutriton plans. I don't need to lose just need to maintain.
Thanks

2008-01-02 12:37 AM

Thanks for the add Guy.

Now I need a bike.
I use the one at the gym but I'm not so sure that's too much like the real thing.
I probably only have 3-6 hundred to spend. Maybe a little more
2008-01-02 9:34 AM

Colorado Springs, CO
I have a question regarding training... On the plan I chose I swim and bike together on the same day 3x week. I know in the real race you swim then bike, but at the gym the pool is so incredibly chlorinated that after swimming I just want to get out and take a shower. For training is it OK to do weights, bike, and then swim? (Normally I do cardio and then lift weights.)
2008-01-02 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1125382

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Hi April, How ironic that there are two gals from Colorado on our team!! I live west of Golden in the foothills near Blackhawk. I am planning on the Highline Hustle Sprint Tri in Grand Junction for my first ever....with hopefully the Tri for the Cure to follow at Cherry Creek Res. I have been researching training plans on line and have a couple of training buddies-so all systems are go....Hah!! I am so glad to be a part of this group-I think the support from all the other members that have experience will be really valuable. What race(s) are you plannning on? You're in the Springs, right?
Holly
2008-01-02 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1126375

User image

Subject: nutrition plans
i'm a big fan of eat all the colors. Meaning - trying to eat foods that are different colors. So, i try to stay away from plates of potatoes, bread and rice. Now, I go for brocolli, chicken, yellow squash and fruit throught the day.

Snack on fruits and nuts - instead of stuff with baked guts - hehe.

This plan has worked well for me - and it's easy to monitor without trying to count anything.

I also try to follow most meals with a little sweet snack (one small cookie, raisins, applesauce). This bit of sugar at the end of a normal meal rushes glucose into my bloodstream and makes my body feel "full" so I don't over eat. And as my body breaks down what it just ate over time...i'll be great.
2008-01-02 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1125110

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Thanks for letting me be a part of your group. Have researched some training plans and will log as we go. I am sure to have many questions....thanks for being our mentor and sounding board! Hopefully, we won't drive you too crazy.

2008-01-02 10:42 AM

User image

Subject: add to training log on site
Guyo - do we need to add everyone on group to our training logs? If so, how do we do that?
2008-01-02 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1125812

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
tpurk40 - 2008-01-01 10:29 AM

Thanks for passing along the trainer work-out. I'll give it a try. Much appreciated.

Woke up early this morning to 2 deg F and -16 F windchill. Bundled up and went out for a 6 mile run. Didn't take the dog though. A bit too cold for him.

Also weighed myself this morning. Dropped to 203 lbs. Yahoo! Just need to stay focused on maintaining current calories. Envision myself running 15 pounds lighter.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Wow I just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss.  People that lose weight are a big inspiration to me.  I don't need to lose and never really have, but since I started training for tri's I have added 8 lbs, go figure.  Everyone always asks me how much I have lost since I started training....nada!  I can't imagine if I had to lose weight...it wouldn't happen.  SO congratulations to you and everyone that is trying to lose.  Keep up the very hard work.

2008-01-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1127655

User image

Veteran
Auckland
mysfit - 2008-01-03 2:34 AM

I have a question regarding training... On the plan I chose I swim and bike together on the same day 3x week. I know in the real race you swim then bike, but at the gym the pool is so incredibly chlorinated that after swimming I just want to get out and take a shower. For training is it OK to do weights, bike, and then swim? (Normally I do cardio and then lift weights.)

Unless the plan specifically has a "Brick" session in it which is when you do one session immediately followed by another ie maybe a race simulation Swim 400, Bike 10, Run 30mins then it shouldnt matter when you do the training.

Often I will swim in the morning and run in the afternoon depending on Schedule, the only issue I have had was over winter I did a big 90minute hill session on the bike and followed that with a swim in an open air pool which was a bit colder than the normal indoor pools and got cramp in both legs.
2008-01-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1127882

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: RE: add to training log on site
lyric4christ - 2008-01-03 3:42 AM

Guyo - do we need to add everyone on group to our training logs? If so, how do we do that?

You can add people to the side of your training log as buddies by going to the Control Panel (top left of screen), Edit my training settings then people.

I will send through some html code which has everybody as a group which can go onto your main log screen until goals etc.
2008-01-02 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1127655

User image

Subject: training order
Hi mysfit - from what I've read it doesn't much matter your order unless you are doing brick workouts (specifically training your body for event transitions).

I would imagine that you want to be able to train optimally, without reaching burnout. You know your schedule better than anyone and this might be more of a necessity than a luxury. But, generally, from what I've read, it seems to be more beneficial for the workouts results if you spread them out a little bit...

anybody else got any ideas...?

2008-01-02 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1128865

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: training order
lyric4christ - 2008-01-02 2:05 PM

Hi mysfit - from what I've read it doesn't much matter your order unless you are doing brick workouts (specifically training your body for event transitions).

I would imagine that you want to be able to train optimally, without reaching burnout. You know your schedule better than anyone and this might be more of a necessity than a luxury. But, generally, from what I've read, it seems to be more beneficial for the workouts results if you spread them out a little bit...

anybody else got any ideas...?

Thanks (and Guyo too) for the feedback. The training plan does have some brick workouts at the end, so I'll do those in order, otherwise I'll just bike then swim. I would like to do the workouts separately, but unfortunately because of my schedule I can't. Hopefully not getting a break in between won't be detremental.

April
2008-01-02 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1127817

Colorado Springs, CO
Hollz - 2008-01-02 9:24 AM

Hi April, How ironic that there are two gals from Colorado on our team!! I live west of Golden in the foothills near Blackhawk. I am planning on the Highline Hustle Sprint Tri in Grand Junction for my first ever....with hopefully the Tri for the Cure to follow at Cherry Creek Res. I have been researching training plans on line and have a couple of training buddies-so all systems are go....Hah!! I am so glad to be a part of this group-I think the support from all the other members that have experience will be really valuable. What race(s) are you plannning on? You're in the Springs, right?
Holly

I am doing the Prospect Lake Tri in Colorado Springs. I really wanted to do the Tri for the Cure as I have heard a lot of good things about it, but I have little ones, and trying to get up to Denver for an early starting race just wasn't going to happen. So I am going to do the only one I could find in the Springs. I talked to someone who did it last year and they said the water is disgusting and the bike course very tough, but it is either that or nothing...

Are you going to import your training plan into your log? When does yours start? I was working backwards from my race day and so my training starts in mid-February. Until then I am just going to try to get some consistency in my work out schedule and build some endurance/strength.

April
2008-01-03 9:19 AM

User image

Subject: hard core builder
wow. today i did that core exercise that was left on this site here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... and boy is it hard - at least for me (15 reps each exercise). Today was my first time and it took me 45 minutes and today is my off day. I had the laptop next to me so I could see what exercise was next and that prolly took some extra time.

anybody else try that workout?

mysfit - i'm doing the tri for your casue in may in boulder and it seems to be like a good affordable sprint tri - you might take a look at it. it is on trifinder.com.

Edited by lyric4christ 2008-01-03 9:20 AM
2008-01-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1130460

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: hard core builder
lyric4christ - 2008-01-03 8:19 AM

wow. today i did that core exercise that was left on this site here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... and boy is it hard - at least for me (15 reps each exercise). Today was my first time and it took me 45 minutes and today is my off day. I had the laptop next to me so I could see what exercise was next and that prolly took some extra time.

anybody else try that workout?

mysfit - i'm doing the tri for your casue in may in boulder and it seems to be like a good affordable sprint tri - you might take a look at it. it is on trifinder.com.

That looks like a good workout - I'm putting together strength routines and I needed a core routine - thanks. I would like to get one working with a stability ball too if you happen across one.

As for a tri... unfortunately I can only do one locally because I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and I don't think they would do well getting up super early to travel out of town. Maybe next year they will be up for it. I would like a better tri for my first, but if it is between doing a mediocre local tri or none at all I of course chose doing the local one. Maybe I'll train that much harder since it is a tougher one.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  

of 6