BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-01-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- Closed (for now), thanks!
Hello everyone,
Well this week has been a quantity booster. Last night I ran 8 miles and today I swam 1000 meters. I am starting to really enjoy feeling good because of getting in shape. My weight is dropping off and I feel like I can do a lot more. I still have some weight to go (35 pounds) but the more I train the easier it comes off. It has also been fun to hear everyone elses story of where they are. Makes me feel like others are at the same spot I am. I still need to firm up a plan but that will come. I am getting more educated on how to go about making one up. I have started reading Joe Friels Triathlete Training Bible and it is well worth the time if you havent already read it.

2008-01-10 2:36 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Scott,

Congrats on the Long run yesterday and the swim today. Someday soon I hope to build up to that 8 mile run. Keep up the good work.

When is your first race? What are the diatances?

Scott R
2008-01-10 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1147715

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-10 8:27 AM Hello everyone, Well this week has been a quantity booster. Last night I ran 8 miles and today I swam 1000 meters.

I took a peak at your training blog, and may I say great job!

One suggestion, ditch the shot blox or energy gels/drinks for any workouts under 75 min. YOU DON'T NEED THEM!

When I started my triathlon odyssey, this was a tough concept to wrap my noggin' around--as we're constantly bombarded with the Sports Drink industry's marketing.

Here's the facts: Your body is "duel fuel". It burns glycogen (the high-octane stuff stored in the muscles) and fat (the "diesel" ). Your body has finite supply of glycogen, usually enough for 60-90 min. of exercise. Your body has enough fat to burn for weeks. Whatever training you do, you're burning a mix. The higher the intensity, the higher % of glycogen you're burning.

So, why is it "bad" to use Sports Drinks/Supplements for exercise less than 75 min. Because: a) you want to train your body to conserve glycogen and burn fat, and b) you don't want/need excess calories--esp. if you're trying to drop weight.

Now, the first few times you do this, you'll feel terrible. That's because your body has become accustomed to a condition of "glycogen-surplus" (for lack of a better term). Once you cut out the Sprorts Drinks/Supplements (again for exercise <75 min.), you'll slowly adapt--and soon won't need it. Trust me. I've been through this process of withdrawal.

Makes me feel like others are at the same spot I am.

We all started as newbies.

I still need to firm up a plan but that will come. I am getting more educated on how to go about making one up. I have started reading Joe Friels Triathlete Training Bible and it is well worth the time if you havent already read it.

Excellent! I highly suggest everyone in this Group read the Triathlete's Training Bible.

You'll want to pick it up, and re-read it every few months. As you simply can't digest all the concepts at once.

Cheers, to a great start in '08!

Edited by guncollector 2008-01-10 3:08 PM
2008-01-10 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1142855

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

TysDad - 2008-01-08 12:49 PM So far this week I am 2 for 2. I try and train at a minimum 5 days a week (M-F). I swim Mon, Wed, and Fri and run Tues and Thurs at the gym before work. When is not raining, I do my runs in the evening after my son goes to bed and I include Sun evening as well. Also, I try and get out on the bike once during the weekend, weather permitting. How's everybody else doing? Scott R

Scott R,

Training blog is lookin' good.   Keep it up.

I get the sense that you have at least a little swimming background.  As your swim pace is very good, IMO.  I've been working close to 1.5 years to get to the pace you're swimming now.

2008-01-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1147715

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

...today I swam 1000 meters...

Scott H, I forgot to mention in my last reply to you.  If its at all within your time constraints/resources, get thee to a qualified swim instructor.  You don't need lots of instruction, but starting out "right" is fastest road to improvement...and you won't have to "unlearn" of lot of bad habits.

If that's not possible, beg/borrow/steal a copy of the "Total Immersion" swim-instruction DVD.  "T.I." as its known has a lot or proponents (esp. amongst novice swimmers), and its critics (mostly veteran fishes); but is a great place to start--absent a swim instructor.

What do they say, it takes 10,000 repetitions to ingrain a habit, and 50,000 corrections to unlearn one?  Anyway, you get my drift.

2008-01-10 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

So, I thought I'd share with the group what I'm doing.

My "A" race is Ironman Louisville on Aug. 31, 2008.  My goal is to finish with a smile.  Unofficially, I want to complete it around 12:30-12:45.

My first race of the Season is the Napa Valley Vintage Half-Iron (70.3) in early May. 

So, my training plan started 1/1/08 with the "Base Period".  So, effective this last week I've been working on getting my volume up to a min. of 10 hrs./wk--preferrably closer to 12 hrs./wk--and later in the season upwards of 16 hrs+. 

Getting my body accustomed to this volume for a single week is no problem.  But, the second and third consecutive weeks will be much tougher (in the off-season, I only built up to 10 hrs/wk perhaps once every 3-4 weeks, and only because I didn't want my body to "forget" what 10 hrs/wk was like).

As you know, I'm married with 2 kids, and must balance training with family.  So, getting in the volume requires waking EVERY WEEKDAY MORNING at 5am to get to the gym for 1.5-2.0 hrs of training, and then EVERY WEEKDAY LUNCH to my athletic club for 45-60min. of training.  This is where success in triathlon is achieved--in the daily grind.  Doing the training even when YOU DON'T FEEL like it.  I can't tell you how often the "sleep in" or "I'm too tired" impulse (what I call the "Inertia Impulse" nags at me!  I don't count, but its quite often and this is normal.  Overcome the Intertia Impulse!  Remind yourself that each time you do, its as victorious as crossing any finish line--maybe harder!

I try to do my LONG WORKOUT on Saturdays (as previously I got a hall pass for only 1 weekend day per week to train).  My recently, my very accomodating wife, Tori, has permitted me to squeeze in a Sunday early-am workout as long as I get to Church (relatively) on time (services start at 9:30, I usually hustle in at 9:45).

Anyway, that's my life for the next 8 months (complicated by the fact that I travel for business almost 75-80 days/yr)!

2008-01-10 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello Scott R and Group,
You asked about my schedule for races and distances. I am, trying to do one a month for the summer. The first three are duathlons as it is way too cold to get in the water yet. As I feel these are more my "B" or "C" races I am using them strictly as short term goals to keep motivated and also to work out some kinks before doing a tri. I am anxious to try some of the transitions to see what that is really like. My first one is a 6.5 mile run, 29 mile bike, 3.5 mile run.

Ron - Thanks for the feed back on the gels etc. I do totally crash around thirty five minutes so I will work on just working through it. I will also work on swim lessons. My wife was a swimmer at the national level in the mile but with four kids it is hard to get in the pool at the same time.
Thanks again for all your help.

Does everyone else have their race schedules posted? (Guess I could just look )

Happy training
Scott

P.S. I totally agree with the daily motivation. That is why I am doing so many races, If a goal is too far away it is a lot easier to entertain thoughts of " I can train more next week" Just got to get out the door.
2008-01-10 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1149040

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-10 4:08 PM ...I am using them [early-season duathlons] strictly as short term goals to keep motivated and also to work out some kinks before doing a tri.

That is actually very smart.  Racing is racing.  I don't care if its against the kids around the block.  Things "change" when competition is introduced.  Simple tasks become difficult.  Routine gets interrupted.  The more you "race", the better you get at overcoming unforseen obstacles.

I am anxious to try some of the transitions to see what that is really like. My first one is a 6.5 mile run, 29 mile bike, 3.5 mile run.

If you haven't done any bricks yet, definitely introduce them into your training.  Even a short run (of 10-15 minutes) immediately after getting off the bike is enough to teach your body the transition.

Initially, you'll get the "noodley leg" feeling off the bike.  This will pass with practice.  Subsequently, the challenge will become to not run "too fast" off the bike--a result of the fast cadence of cycling, and you're body's natural "want" to maintain the same fast cadence on the run.

Ron - Thanks for the feed back on the gels etc. I do totally crash around thirty five minutes so I will work on just working through it.

What you're "feeling" is the body's transition from burning glycogen to fat (in relative %'s).  This is totally normal in the beginning.  You'll have to fight through it at first...slow down...walk if you have to...but get through it...and you'll get your "second wind"--which is really the fat burning process firing up.

I will also work on swim lessons. My wife was a swimmer at the national level in the mile but with four kids it is hard to get in the pool at the same time. Thanks again for all your help.

She doesn't need to attend every swim session.  Just once in a while to examine your form and give you feedback.  You'll be amazed what a few pointers can do.  Swimming is all about technique.

2008-01-10 9:54 PM
in reply to: #1148598

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
guncollector - 2008-01-10 1:12 PM

TysDad - 2008-01-08 12:49 PM So far this week I am 2 for 2. I try and train at a minimum 5 days a week (M-F). I swim Mon, Wed, and Fri and run Tues and Thurs at the gym before work. When is not raining, I do my runs in the evening after my son goes to bed and I include Sun evening as well. Also, I try and get out on the bike once during the weekend, weather permitting. How's everybody else doing? Scott R

Scott R,

Training blog is lookin' good.   Keep it up.

I get the sense that you have at least a little swimming background.  As your swim pace is very good, IMO.  I've been working close to 1.5 years to get to the pace you're swimming now.

Thanks. I did play water polo for two years back in High School, but that was a very long time ago. I have always felt comfortable in the water and enjoyed swimming. I may have the pace for the distances I am swimming now, but I need to build my endurance. Currently I am swimming a pyramid of 100y,200y,300y,400y,300y,200y,100y with 60 seconds of rest between each set. I also try to swim the last 100 as fast as I can, just for fun. I have added a second set of 400 in the middle to bring my total to 2000y in the past. I need to get back to this. Soon, I think I need to change it up to the workout I've seen on your log of 4x500. I think that would be a good next step to help build my endurance in the water.

Do you do any drills? I haven't and I don't know how I feel on the subject.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Scott

Edited by TysDad 2008-01-10 9:56 PM
2008-01-10 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Scott R and group,
I saw in your bio that you lost quite a bit of weight. Was this a result of Tri training or how did you do it? I am at 205, down from 250 and would like to keep going to about 170 (I am 5' 10"). It is coming of a lot easier with the training but I didn't know if you had any tips or ideas.
Thanks again,
Scott
2008-01-11 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1149509

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
holt1997 - 2008-01-10 8:44 PM

Scott R and group,
I saw in your bio that you lost quite a bit of weight. Was this a result of Tri training or how did you do it? I am at 205, down from 250 and would like to keep going to about 170 (I am 5' 10"). It is coming of a lot easier with the training but I didn't know if you had any tips or ideas.
Thanks again,
Scott

First of all congrats on loosing the 45lbs! I was up to 210 just a bit after my wife gave birth to our son about 3 years ago. (I gained more weight during the pregnancy than she did) I held around this weight for about a year when I finally decided I need to do something about it. I had a bad habit of eating off the roach coach at my last job for my morning break. It would usually consist of a tall Mountain Dew (~330 cal) and a doughnut or muffin. Really, just a bunch of bad eating habits. I cut out all "real" soda, switched to diet for a while untill I weaned myself to water. Now I drink an occasional soda if I go out to lunch and there is no soda in the house. Also, I am much better at what I snack on. Not perfect, just better. Just taking these steps got me down to 176lbs in a little over a year. this was all before the Tri training. Once I started to train in July of last year, the weight has been harder to lose. Although I am stronger, fitter, and I feel a ton better. I got as low as 166 but wasn't there for long. I am now 171 with body fat of 22% according to my scale. My BF hasn't changed nearly as much I thought it should. I am also 5' 10" and my dream would be to get to a stable mid to low 160's and a BF in the mid teens. I have no idea if this is even possible or not. I do still have a bit of a gut that I would like to get rid of, so maybe it will all come from there.

Keep up the good work,

Scott R

2008-01-11 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Weight Loss

Great topic.  While not what I started triathlon for, weight loss has been for me a natural consequence of my training.

First off, I'm 40 years old, 5'10", and in May of '06 (prior to my tri training), I weighed in at 190-195--definitely carrying a few extra pounds.  And, this was down from about 205-208. 

I now fluctuate between 170-174, and may even drop occasionally as low as 168.  But, I believe my ideal race weight to be around 170.

What did I do (aside from/in addition to training)?

- Cut out all Soda (switched first to just water, then sparkling water--I'm a freak for Pellegrino and/or Gerolsteiner now)

- Cut out all Alcohol as possible (empty calories! I'm no teetolaler, but pretty damn close...maybe 1 Michelob Ultra or glass of Wine every 2 weeks?

- Cut out as my processed foods as possible

- Eat as many Greens as possible (and of as many different varieties as possible--trying to have at least 1 salad per day)

- Tracked my Caloric Intake, Educated Myself on Food Choices and Caloric Requirements  (use the BT food/diet logging feature!  I did it for close to a year, and learned alot about my food choices and caloric requirements.  For instance, I know during normal training 2400-2700 cal/day is what I need--during higher intensity weeks 3100-3400 cal/day.  Without tracking, I'd have none of this knowledge.)

- Eat smaller Amounts, More Frequently (this is pretty standard now...I eat breakfast at 7am, a snack at 10:30am, lunch at 12:20, another snack at 3:30, and dinner at 6:00, and a after-dinner snack around 7:30pm)

- Snack on Fruits, Veggies, or Nuts --NOT potato chips, or other processed junk!  (Note: watch out on the Nuts, though, as they are very high on the calories!)

- Allow Yourself a Cheat Time --nothing as likely to derail your diet as complete fanaticism!  Go ahead, have that Krispy Kreme...but limit it to a specific day or as a reward for completing that big workout!

Hope that helps! 

2008-01-11 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Where is everyone else in the group? We are having cool conversations and I would hate for the others to miss out.
2008-01-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1150412

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-11 10:01 AM Where is everyone else in the group? We are having cool conversations and I would hate for the others to miss out.

Good question.  I sent a mix of "inspire-messages" and emails in the last few days to our other group participants, and no replies.

I'm going to Open the Group up to more sign-ups, I think, so as to collect more active participants.  

2008-01-11 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!
I just didn't want to be a conversation hog
2008-01-11 4:23 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Ron, If there is an opening it would be awesome to get into this mentor group! I was In another group but it fell apart and I'm seeking to be part of a new active mentor group. I saw you came in later than the other mentors and wished I could have gotten in, am I too late?

I have read most of your race reports and that is what drew me in this direction, first off my off screen name is Stuart and I live due east of you. My first race this year is Wildflower and I could sure use all the technical and strategy help you can offer. My goals are to eventually end up at the fall IMAZ in 2010, and to gradually work my way up from here. This year I'm in for a few Olympics and a few sprints, ending the year with 1/2 mary's and a few 1/2 centuries to get a taste of the distance for 2009. I'm 5-10  41 years old and would like to drop 20 pounds for speed, current BF is 13-15%. Swimming is most comfortable for me, it could be faster but its getting there, my worst event is running, Ive had no actual background or coaching and when I push distance I sure pay for it in my knees!

Right now my focus is to become stronger on the bike, improve my run form, increase my swim distance and stay injury free. My new Tri program started Jan 1st.

Edited by nevergivin 2008-01-11 11:22 PM

2008-01-11 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1151156

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey Ron!
Mind if I hang around with you all?  I need a push/camaraderie to get myself back into it...

2008-01-11 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
nevergivin - 2008-01-11 2:23 PM

Ron, If there is an opening it would be awesome to get into this mentor group! I was In another group but it fell apart and I'm seeking to be part of a new active mentor group. I saw you came in later than the other mentors and wished I could have gotten in, am I too late?

I have read most of your race reports and that is what drew me in this direction, first off my off screen name is Stuart and I live due east of you. My first race this year is Wildflower and I could sure use all the technical and strategy help you can offer. My goals are to eventually end up at the fall IMAZ in 2010, and to gradually work my way up from here. This year I'm in for a few Olympics and a few sprints, ending the year with 1/2 IM's and a few 1/2 centuries to get a taste of the distance for 2009. I'm 5-10 also and would like to drop 20 pounds for speed, current BF is 13-15%. Swimming is most comfortable for me, it could be faster but its getting there, my worst event is running, Ive had no actual background or coaching and when I push distance I sure pay for it in my knees!

Right now my focus is to become stronger on the bike, improve my run form, increase my swim distance and stay injury free. My new Tri program started Jan 1st.

Stuart, you're in, baby! 

2008-01-11 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1151188

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Donto - 2008-01-11 2:35 PM

Hey Ron!
Mind if I hang around with you all? I need a push/camaraderie to get myself back into it...

Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to Don (Donto).  He was one of my original mentors here at BT.

Grab a cup of cyber-joe, and hang out, Don!

2008-01-11 4:55 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Great news, Thanks!
2008-01-11 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
nevergivin - 2008-01-11 2:23 PM  Swimming is most comfortable for me, it could be faster but its getting there, my worst event is running, Ive had no actual background or coaching and when I push distance I sure pay for it in my knees!

Grass is always greener...  The triathletes I most envy are the fishes--the ones most comfy in water...as this is my greatest mental hurdle.

Running 

I suppose being a former soccer player, running comes most comfortable to me--with biking a close second.  In soccer, I had 2 speeds: all-out and a shuffle.  So, for endurance events, I am a natural "shuffle-stepper" (not much knee rise, not much "kick".  This works fine I've found, except that you're limiting the # of muscle groups you can put to use. 

So, in the last year, I've practiced adding--usually on treadmills--a lot of "kick" and some knee rise into my step, and practiced running on a lot of hills which accomplishes IMO much of the same.  This has improved my running quite a bit--I think by giving me more muscle groups to bring into play over the course of a long run.

That said....you "zero-gravity-trained fishes" (aka "swimmers" have to be especially careful when ramping up the miles.  Your joints/tendons are not accustomed to the pounding--3x's your bodyweight with every step--that running requires.  Not to say you can't become an efficient runner, just that you'll have to take it slow and be especially mindful of technique.

So, here's what I suggest:

- Find a copy of Chi Running or Pose Method of running.  Read it and apply principles as necessary.  Running can be as technical as swimming, but you can go fast with poor technique in running--unlike in swimming.  This investment in a $20 book on running technique, may save you $$$$ in medical bills.  I have heard more than a few stories of master's runners--knees thrashed from decades of running--who have been given a new lease with the above-mentioned techniques.

- Incorporate a bit of Strength work.  Knee extensions, Hamstring Curls, Squats, Leg Presses.  Light weight - high reps.  Stengthen those muscles that act as your natural shock absorbers.

- Buy the Shoe, not the Brand.  Esp. coming from your background.  Get fitted at a specialty Running Shop...have them examine your gait...buy the shoe that fits you best...never mind the Brand.  Period.  Remember, all the shoes--from any brand--come out of the same 3 or 4 factories in China anyway.  Note: Invest in orthotics if necessary. 

- Track your Shoe Mileage.  When you hit 300-400 miles, mothball'em for civilian-duties only.  The loss of cushioning in a running shoe is slow and nearly imperceptible from day-to-day, week-to-week.  That's why you must track the miles you run on them (the BT gear tracker is great for this purpose).  Me, I have a low-arch, and therefore wear stability shoes.  I'm also a bit of a shoe-slut, and will buy/wear/train-in/race-in a variety of shoes: Brooks GTS-7 for biz trips/training, Nike Air Equalon+ (lots of cushioning) for long-distance runs, Asics Kayano for short races (raced my HIM in them, big mistake, lack of cushioning resulted in tender feet for days), Asics 2120 as my everyday beater/trainer...

- Ice Down after your longer runs!  

- Incorporate a Stretching program.  Limber limbs will handle long hours on the road better than inexorable ones.

- Remember the 10% Rule.  Never increase your mileage by more than 10% per week.

That's all I can think of for now.   Anybody else care to chime in?

2008-01-11 5:59 PM

User image

Modesto, California

I finished entering my training plan up to my first race, I am not sure how to approach my training in between my races for the rest of the year. Currently I am doing the Sprint to Oly plan. Once your plan ends what is the best way to plug in training, lots of blank spots on my planned calender! What do you think? Should I wait until I get closer to May and evaluate my conditioning? Toward the end of summer I am starting a 1/2 Mary program.

I work around 75 hours a week and spend every other week in L.A. so I don't like to sound anal with training, but planning ahead makes a huge difference for me.

2008-01-11 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1151331

User image

Modesto, California
guncollector - 2008-01-11 3:56 PM
nevergivin - 2008-01-11 2:23 PM  Swimming is most comfortable for me, it could be faster but its getting there, my worst event is running, Ive had no actual background or coaching and when I push distance I sure pay for it in my knees!

Grass is always greener...  The triathletes I most envy are the fishes--the ones most comfy in water...as this is my greatest mental hurdle.

Running 

I suppose being a former soccer player, running comes most comfortable to me--with biking a close second.  In soccer, I had 2 speeds: all-out and a shuffle.  So, for endurance events, I am a natural "shuffle-stepper" (not much knee rise, not much "kick".  This works fine I've found, except that you're limiting the # of muscle groups you can put to use. 

So, in the last year, I've practiced adding--usually on treadmills--a lot of "kick" and some knee rise into my step, and practiced running on a lot of hills which accomplishes IMO much of the same.  This has improved my running quite a bit--I think by giving me more muscle groups to bring into play over the course of a long run.

That said....you "zero-gravity-trained fishes" (aka "swimmers" have to be especially careful when ramping up the miles.  Your joints/tendons are not accustomed to the pounding--3x's your bodyweight with every step--that running requires.  Not to say you can't become an efficient runner, just that you'll have to take it slow and be especially mindful of technique.

So, here's what I suggest:

- Find a copy of Chi Running or Pose Method of running.  Read it and apply principles as necessary.  Running can be as technical as swimming, but you can go fast with poor technique in running--unlike in swimming.  This investment in a $20 book on running technique, may save you $$$$ in medical bills.  I have heard more than a few stories of master's runners--knees thrashed from decades of running--who have been given a new lease with the above-mentioned techniques.

- Incorporate a bit of Strength work.  Knee extensions, Hamstring Curls, Squats, Leg Presses.  Light weight - high reps.  Stengthen those muscles that act as your natural shock absorbers.

- Buy the Shoe, not the Brand.  Esp. coming from your background.  Get fitted at a specialty Running Shop...have them examine your gait...buy the shoe that fits you best...never mind the Brand.  Period.  Remember, all the shoes--from any brand--come out of the same 3 or 4 factories in China anyway.  Note: Invest in orthotics if necessary. 

- Track your Shoe Mileage.  When you hit 300-400 miles, mothball'em for civilian-duties only.  The loss of cushioning in a running shoe is slow and nearly imperceptible from day-to-day, week-to-week.  That's why you must track the miles you run on them (the BT gear tracker is great for this purpose).  Me, I have a low-arch, and therefore wear stability shoes.  I'm also a bit of a shoe-slut, and will buy/wear/train-in/race-in a variety of shoes: Brooks GTS-7 for biz trips/training, Nike Air Equalon+ (lots of cushioning) for long-distance runs, Asics Kayano for short races (raced my HIM in them, big mistake, lack of cushioning resulted in tender feet for days), Asics 2120 as my everyday beater/trainer...

- Ice Down after your longer runs!  

- Incorporate a Stretching program.  Limber limbs will handle long hours on the road better than inexorable ones.

- Remember the 10% Rule.  Never increase your mileage by more than 10% per week.

That's all I can think of for now.   Anybody else care to chime in?

I lucked out getting into swimming at an  early age, seems effortless for me but I also have "swim Baggage". I have a phobia of getting into the pool, its a cold water thing, however I was able to learn and practice proper form under the close eye of a former Olympic coach when I was in High school.

Awesome run advice, I only do a couple of the numerous things you listed. I did get the DVD Evolution Running two days ago, I will watch it this weekend. I buy my shoes at Roadrunner, high arch & neutral gate(Asic Gel Cumulus 9). Not sure of a stretching program for runs, before or after?

2008-01-11 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1151369

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

nevergivin - 2008-01-11 4:18 PM

Awesome run advice, I only do a couple of the numerous things you listed. I did get the DVD Evolution Running two days ago, I will watch it this weekend. I buy my shoes at Roadrunner, high arch & neutral gate(Asic Gel Cumulus 9). Not sure of a stretching program for runs, before or after?

Roadrunner Sports brick & mortar?  Or RRS online?  I ask, only, because at least once you should have an expert actually WATCH YOUR run gait and recommend a few shoes to try on and run in. 

RRS's "Shoe Dog" (online shoe wizard) has its limits...for instance...it always recommends to me to buy heavy Motion Control shoes...but I find I'm better off with Stability or Stability+.

Anyway, if knee/ankle/hip/back pain isn't an issue, your shoes are probably ok.

Stretching is always done AFTER a warm-up or after your complete workout.  Never BEFORE.  Never stretch cold muscles.

2008-01-11 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1151199

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
guncollector - 2008-01-11 5:38 PM
Donto - 2008-01-11 2:35 PM

Hey Ron!
Mind if I hang around with you all? I need a push/camaraderie to get myself back into it...

Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to Don (Donto).  He was one of my original mentors here at BT.

Grab a cup of cyber-joe, and hang out, Don!

Embarassed!

Thanks Ron, you the man here!

Hello to all!  I'm Donto, been on BT since Feb 2004 and have participated in 12.5 triathlons, the half comes from a bike crash at the halfway point of an Oly in 06.  NEVER EVER TAKE WATER OR AID WHEN YOU'RE IN THE AEROBARS! That's my big tip of the day!

Ron and I share a similiar background and stature!  I'm 43, 5'10 and currently 179lbs, with a race weight around 170 too.  Always been an athletic type, got married for a 2nd time when I was 33. 5 years, change of jobs/career, 2 kids later, my wife and I were up 30-40 lbs and we decided it was time to get our self's back.  I say that I started running again Superbowl 2002, 1.6 miles and almost puked after.  Actually did my 1st tri as part of a 3 man team in Oct 2002 and again in 2003.  In this time frame I was running 5k's races and was having lower leg injuries from the typical incorrect training.  When I found BT I realized it gave me what I needed to help myself become a better athlete.  But I was stubborn at first and didn't use the logs all the time or follow any real training plans.  Figured I was still 20 YO and could train for 4-8 weeks and do anything!

After a dismal Oly in Oct 05, my wife bought me a HRM in Dec 05 for Christmas and that was an impetus for change in my training.  I decided I would for the first time follow a "long" 20 week  training plan before an event.  I started to get in real good shape using HR zones and realized what I was missing in terms of Rate of Perceived Effort (RPE), because the HRM doesn't lie to you when you are going too hard.  Most people will underestimate their RPE during exercise.  I was figuring that my so called 8 min mile training pace for runs were OK, but in fact I was always training too hard and getting leg problems.  In early spring of 06 my business partner (typical type A person) signed up for a HIM because a family friend did.  I felt things were going well so of course I followed along and it was the best decision of my life.  Up to this point I really did not immerse myself with the knowledge to truly appreciate endurance training.  After that day I started researching nutrition, training guidelines, and started setting PB for distances that I never imagined I would or could do.   I did the HIM and stuck with training by finding a long course tri this past April (1.5x Oly) to keep me focused.  I did that and a Sprint at the beginning of June, then my wheels fell off!  I was at it pretty much for a year and half and with some work pressures I had to take a break.  My next goal was to do a Marathon this past Nov and started training in late July.  Instead I developed Plantar Fasciitis (PF) in my left foot within a month so running became non-existent for awhile.  Decided to do a local Oly in Oct so I could focus in on swimmingand biking and figured I could walk 6 miles if I had too and did OK.  Pulled a Hammy playing flag football in the beginning of Dec and was out of action for a bit on that one, and of course I'm always fighting back problems related to a nasty ski accident I had in 2002.

So I'm here to get some motivation mojo from you all!  I'm going to be doing an Oly in early April so I need to get focused and back to work now that I'm getting all healed up.  After that if things are still going well, I'll have a local Sprint in early June and possible a HIM (Mussleman) in July.  It's run race season here in FL right now so a 5k or two and a 10k will surely pop up. 

For those of you truly new here or that don't realize it, BT has a big challenge forum here.  People get on teams and compete against one another for fun.  Every month it's different and I've organized plenty of them over the past year.  It's another way to get positive feedback for training and to meet others in BT land.

I have to say I'm looking forward to Ron's training this year for his IM goal.  He almost talked me into it signing up with him last year, if only I didn't get PF!

Nice to met you all again and look forward to training with you...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15