Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-01-02 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1127556

User image

New user

Waddell,AZ
Subject: RE: PanicTour's Group - FULL
#1 - What and when is your "A" race for 2008 All three that I have planned.

#2 - Are you currently on a training plan? If so, which one? Just downloaded one but I am not sure I like it. It is the 13 week Sprint.

#3 - Do you have access to a pool? The YMCA is not very far away.

#4 - Do you own a bike? I have a GT Mountain Bike

2008-01-02 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1129989

User image

New user

Waddell,AZ
sfcgallegos - 2008-01-02 9:41 PM

#1 - What and when is your "A" race for 2008 All three that I have planned.

#2 - Are you currently on a training plan? If so, which one? Just downloaded one but I am not sure I like it. It is the 13 week Sprint.

#3 - Do you have access to a pool? The YMCA is not very far away.

#4 - Do you own a bike? I have a GT Mountain Bike
2008-01-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1129190

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

leovdd - 2008-01-02 4:49 PM Small question, Is there an easy way to navigate to the logs of the friends one has defined ? It takes me at least 3 screens, and I'm on a very slow line (not due to being 'back here' in Europe, just knowing myself too well to allow me a broadband connection). Cheers ! Leo

When you are on your training log page, just click on your friends (left side of page) and that will bring you right to their log where you can review their workout and leave inspires/messages.

2008-01-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1111991

User image

Louisiana

Wow, I was only gone  a day and ya'll have been chatty. Trying to catch up. As for homework:

#1: A race: Feb 24, Mardi Gras 1/2 mary. Afterwards, A race goes to Prairieman HIM, Sept 7

#2: Plan: Galloway's 1/2 marathon for 1/2 mary, combined with OLY 16 wk run focused. Then will switch to HIM plan.

#3 Pool: Yes. Single indoor lap lane at rec center / OWS at lake (20 miles from home)when temps increase a little.

#4 Bike: Road bike with clip on aerobars, named Sandy. Best training partner, next to DH. Also have I-Magic Fortius trainer for cold, rotten days like today.

Back later. Read a great quote from J. Friel book...will have to find it.

2008-01-04 9:56 AM

User image

Arvada, CO
Hello team! Boy, I am truly the beginner in this group! I do good to get a good healthy walk in and I can't even imagine actually running. Good thing this is training for a race and the race is not tomorrow. I love to see the different programs and excersise routines each one of you have as it is truly encouraging.
Having not had a regualr work-out routine in many years, this is a big lifestyle change for me. My husband is very athletic so it helps to have that back-up on the home front (along with the dogs not letting me skip their daily jants) but I have to work at excersising above and beyond the walk around the block with the pets.
I will be out of town this weekend without access to e-mail so I just wanted to say happy Friday to everyone and I will do my best to get a daily workout in and will update my training log as soon as possible.

Keep up the good work and don't forget to drink your water!
2008-01-04 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1133364

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

Kaileydog1 - 2008-01-04 9:56 AM Hello team! Boy, I am truly the beginner in this group! I do good to get a good healthy walk in and I can't even imagine actually running. Good thing this is training for a race and the race is not tomorrow. I love to see the different programs and excersise routines each one of you have as it is truly encouraging. Having not had a regualr work-out routine in many years, this is a big lifestyle change for me. My husband is very athletic so it helps to have that back-up on the home front (along with the dogs not letting me skip their daily jants) but I have to work at excersising above and beyond the walk around the block with the pets. I will be out of town this weekend without access to e-mail so I just wanted to say happy Friday to everyone and I will do my best to get a daily workout in and will update my training log as soon as possible. Keep up the good work and don't forget to drink your water!

Don't worry.  You are already on the path.  Two years ago I could run 100 yards!  Take it slow so you don't injure yourself.  We are here for help and support.

2008-01-05 5:22 PM

User image

New user

Waddell,AZ
Panic,
I have not read alot of articles yet, but I plan on it soon.
As a beginner is there some specific pointers that you can give in regards to equipment.

Are goggles needed for the swim portion?

I am riding a mountain bike for my for sprint.....spandex bike shorts?....shoe that clip in?

I see alot of runners use the heart rate monitor....any recomendations for a neophyte?

Thanx.

Mark
2008-01-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1136226

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

sfcgallegos - 2008-01-05 5:22 PM Panic, I have not read alot of articles yet, but I plan on it soon. As a beginner is there some specific pointers that you can give in regards to equipment. Are goggles needed for the swim portion? I am riding a mountain bike for my for sprint.....spandex bike shorts?....shoe that clip in? I see alot of runners use the heart rate monitor....any recomendations for a neophyte? Thanx. Mark

Sure...no problem.  Yes, googles are a must.  I recommend TYR Socket Rockets.  They are simple and cheap.  Goggles can be a very personal choice so try a few others if those don't work well.

MTB is fine.  You may want to get slick tires for it.  They will help a lot.  Yeah, unfirtunately spandex is a must but that is OK -- everyone else is wearing it.  You should get a good pair of tri shorts that you can swim, bike, and run in.

Clip in pedals are great and I highly recommend them.  If cost is an issue just get pedals with the toe clips.

I really like HRM training.  There is great info on this site re HRM training.  Any Polar product is fine.  If you want to drop some coin the Garmin Forerunner is awesome.  GPS and HRM in one. 

Hope that helps!

2008-01-07 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

OK everyone your challenge or assignment for the week (if you choose to accept it) is to post you planned workouts for the week.  We'll track it and see how we all did...my plans:

Monday - Easy Spin on Trainer

Tuesday, Wed, and Thurs - 4 mi run

Friday - off

Saturday - 18 mi LSD run

2008-01-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1138271

User image

Springfield, IL

Mon  Swim 350yds   Walk/Run 20min

Tue   Bike 4-5miles

Wed  Swim 350yds  Walk/Run 25min

Thu   Swim 400yds   Bike 4-5miles

Fri     Off

Sat   Walk/Run 25min

Sun  Bike 5miles 

2008-01-07 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1137220

User image

New user

Waddell,AZ
Thanks that does help, I have a buddy that showed me the Swimplan website. It is free and helps you plan swimming workouts. I am going to try this since I am unexperienced in swimming. He also gave me a few tips on things I might need to purchase too, see my friday workout log and I made notes on it if you are interested. Just thought I would share.
I will write my weeks plan a little later.
MAG

2008-01-07 5:12 PM

User image

Potsdam, NY
Mon- Moderate Run

Tue- Track Meet

Wed- Recovery Run: Moderate Distance

Thu- Run

Fri- Run

Sat- Run and swim for 20 minutes or 20 mile bike ride

Sun- Long Run and swim for 20 minutes or bike 10 miles

Overall I plan to stretch for at least 20 minutes a day and hit the gym at least twice this week.

2008-01-07 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, Indiana

Things may be a little tricky since I am traveling on business this week, but here is the plan. 

Mon - Run ~45min

Tues or Wed - Bike 90m (strength the other day)

Thursday - Run ~35m

Fri - Swim 30m, Bike 60m

Sat - Swim 45m, Run 30m

Sun - Strength

2008-01-08 4:23 AM

User image

Louisiana

Here's mine:

Sun: Rest day

Mon: Swim 30 min drills, Bike  1hr 37min

Tues: Run 30 min, Strength

Wed: Swim 30 min, drills, Strength

Thurs: 10 mile run???

Fri: Swim 30 min, drills, Strength

Sat: Run 48 min

Intensity for all run and bike is Zone 2-3,  endurance. I'm on night shift Fri-Sun, so the challenge will be training while fatigued.

2008-01-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1138271

User image

Arvada, CO
Mon - 30 min on treadmill (fast walk)

Tues - 30 min on treadmill (fast walk)

Wed - 30 min treadmill (fast walk, may try slow jog)

Thurs - 30 min of something, might do stairs if I am bored with treadmill

Fri - 30 min treadmill (fast walk)

Sat - off

Sun - rec center day with the girls. 20 in on bike, 30 min in pool

Okay - so I know this is supposed to be "tri training" and I know that once a week on a bike and at the pool will not be enough. I need to have a week or two of consistant attention to working out and then I will get the right events going. I thought I could do most of my stuff at home but I will need to become a regular visitor to the rec center by mid February.
2008-01-08 1:58 PM

User image

New user

Waddell,AZ
Monday:
20 Min Run/Weight training

Tuesday:
20 Min Run/Weight training/5.6 Mile Bike

Wed:

Thursday:
20 Min Run/Weight training/5.6 mile Bike

Friday:

Sat:
Swim/12 mile bike ride

Sun:
Off

2008-01-08 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1142539

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

Okay - so I know this is supposed to be "tri training" and I know that once a week on a bike and at the pool will not be enough. I need to have a week or two of consistant attention to working out and then I will get the right events going. I thought I could do most of my stuff at home but I will need to become a regular visitor to the rec center by mid February.

No worries, it is the off-season.  We are just building fitness and getting ready to really start "training".  It is a long year, take your time.

2008-01-08 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Well, I never got that trainer ride in yesterday.  I was feeling lazy and it was "optional" on my plan so I opted out.  I've got a 4 mile run tonight and it is so beautiful outside that I may actually run outside for a change.  During the week, I've always been running indoors at the gym.
2008-01-08 3:49 PM

User image

Near Gent
Just saw the call for program

Monday would be run trial
Tuesday is swim practice with club
Wednesday is my day off, but I will do knee, leg strength training exercices given knee issue
Thursday was scheduled to be run with club, light intervals typically, but it will be day off
Friday will be arm, shoulder and core training
Saturday will be 1 hour swim drills
Sunday will be long bike run
2008-01-08 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1143151

User image

Arvada, CO
LOL! Love the line on Leo's last blog... "Races: intense brick training sessions with an audience" That's awesome!
So I signed up for swim lessons today. I'm going to do 3 lessons to see if I can get the breathing part down and I can add more if I need to. I felt a little silly being 37 years old and signing up for a lesson!
I'm off to do my 30 minutes of fun! Have a good night...
2008-01-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1143855

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

Kaileydog1 - 2008-01-08 8:16 PM LOL! Love the line on Leo's last blog... "Races: intense brick training sessions with an audience" That's awesome! So I signed up for swim lessons today. I'm going to do 3 lessons to see if I can get the breathing part down and I can add more if I need to. I felt a little silly being 37 years old and signing up for a lesson! I'm off to do my 30 minutes of fun! Have a good night...

Great news!  Swim lessons are a really good idea.  Please let us know how it goes.  I bet you will see huge improvements from week to week.

2008-01-09 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1143855

User image

Springfield, IL

Being a former competitive swimmer and a former swim instructor, the best advice I would like to give you is: 

Form and technique is everything!  If you have the correct form and technique everything else will be a lot easier.

Good luck!!!

Edited by wardoatri 2008-01-09 5:08 PM
2008-01-11 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

So how is everyone doing with their goals for this week?

I'm on track and doing a long run today.  Then I'm off on vacation for a week.  I'm sure you can all hold the fort down for a week.

Train safely...

2008-01-11 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1149855

User image

Arvada, CO
I did okay this week. I am guessing it will get better and better each week. Still have to work on drinking more water...
Thanks everyone for your "inspire me" messages... the feedback and encouragment is AWESOME!

Keith - have a great vacation. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!
2008-01-11 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1146336

User image

Arvada, CO
Thanks Ward... I mostly signed up for the lessons because I can't breath properly and end up hyperventilating half way down the lane but I will make sure I get the form and technique down too. I do have a quick question for you. When you talk about changing your "kick cadence" when you are swimming, what do you mean by that?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PanicTour's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6