BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-01-09 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - Full
Jason and Jenny,

I would like for you guys to add the other team members to your blog so you can look at how and what they are logging. I will eventually recommend some others who may be beneficial but for now I would like you to add me, and the other members of the group to your training page.

To do this, click on training log. Just to the right of that there is a button that is the control panel. Click on that. On this page there is a button for friends. Click on friends button. Then type in the screennames of the rest of the group and when your done click apply. The persons avatar will now be on your training page and you have easy access to see what they are doing.

Ken

2008-01-10 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1142614

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken,

I took your advise on the HR and it made a huge difference in my endurance - I did want to go faster and I know why I need to keep my hr down and build base - I could run alot more keeping the hr down - I felt good and my breathing was alot easier to manage! My wife went thru the same thing - you wanna go faster but you have to stick to the plan - and you will see results in your endurance and speed will come with this as your endurance builds. Thanks again..I will let you know how the swim clinic goes this weekend!

Cheers

Rusty
2008-01-10 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Rusty, I PM'ed you some notes on your swim. You are off to a really good start. Momentum in training is great and you are off to a great start. Have you made a bet with your wife yet?
2008-01-10 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1149255

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
LOL - nah - I would lose my A$$ right if I bet against my wife - she smokes me in the water, and on the bike, and running - well - she rulz right now!! She is really a good swimmer - she has come such a long way and I learn alot watching her swim. I did get your PM - thanks - I responded as well. This is only my 1st week and I feel pretty darn good about where I am and where I am headin. It's kinda reminding me when I went thru RANGER school - that was the biggest challenge in my life physically/mentally so far - I know I can do this even though I am older now, that part of me is still there, I just gotta work a little harder for it now since I am not 18 anymore :-)
2008-01-13 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Gang,

I like to do a weekly recap to gauge how I am progressing I usually put it in my blog but lets do it in this thread so we can discuss progress.

This week I did 2 swims for 5000 yards 3 runs for 13.3 miles an 1 bike ride for 43.4 miles. Positives were making it back to swim practice for 2 days in one week and I had an excellent long run today. Bike is on low maintainance but time to start moving this week. Total training time 6:42. I plan on building up to 11 for my half ironman.

This week I plan to swim 3 days, run 3 days, and bike once and spin once. If I can work it out I will add another bike ride.

Lets here what you did and whats next!

Edited by Manatee Express 2008-01-13 2:37 PM
2008-01-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1153125

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Fellow Triathletes,

This was a good week for training as I had some spare time on my hands with only one college course being active.  I was able to get 3 rides in totaling 83 miles, 2 runs equalling 6.5 miles (Missed the long run), two swim sessions totalling 3900 yards, and two strength sessions with some CORE work.  This coming week should be almost identical to last week with three planned bike rides (Love being on a tropical island in the South China sea), three runs (2 rather short and 1 long run), 2 or 3 swim sessions, and another 2 or 3 strength training sessions. All together I think I totalled 10 hours of training which is a really good week for me.  Although I have to admit that I might take it easy with the strength training on the legs as anyone that has ever done squats knows that it takes a couple of days before they feel fully recovered. 

I would really like to know if anyone has truly seen big improvements from strength training on the lower body.  My legs are so sore that I feel as if I may be doing more damage than good when I run or bike before they are recovered fully.  Best of luck to all in the upcoming week and remember that procrastination is the root of all evils.

Chip 

2008-01-14 2:28 AM
in reply to: #1139354

birmingham michigan

Just pulled the heart rate monitor from it's box today!  I love gadgets.  I will be using it once I figure it out.  I don't think it will be that hard.

I did my first LSR today. 4.5 miles and I feel really good, just worn out.  I need to include more swims in my training as well.

One question.  I think getting to 10 miles is a realistic goal.  I was planning on focusing on distance in the beginning and then work on speed after.  Is this a good idea or should I include a "tempo/speedplay" workout in once a week right now?

Thank you!

Jen

2008-01-14 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1154013

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
czarjenny - 2008-01-14 2:28 AM

Just pulled the heart rate monitor from it's box today!  I love gadgets.  I will be using it once I figure it out.  I don't think it will be that hard.

I did my first LSR today. 4.5 miles and I feel really good, just worn out.  I need to include more swims in my training as well.

One question.  I think getting to 10 miles is a realistic goal.  I was planning on focusing on distance in the beginning and then work on speed after.  Is this a good idea or should I include a "tempo/speedplay" workout in once a week right now?

Thank you!

Jen

Jen, tell us a little more about your running history. What is the longest you ran, how many miles last year, what kind of pace do you hope to do at Wildflower. Just rough numbers but it would be helpful in giving you a good answer. My gut says on the run you should be focusing on base runs primarily and building up your distance slowly. I recommend running 3 times a week with one run designated as your long run. The other 2 runs should be 3 to 4 miles and you can go up some on them once your base is built. The long run should go up slowly and yes I think you can make it to at least 10 miles. You have sixteen weeks and you are at 4.5 miles now. You need to build slowly as ramping up mileage too fast will lead to injury. Based on what I think I know about your history this is what I would recommend for building your long run.

Week
1 4.5
2 5
3 5.5
4 4.5
5 6
6 6.5
7 7
8 5
9 7.5
10 8
11 8.5
12 6
13 9.5
14 10
15 10

Do two other runs a week. We can refine this as you go and based on how you feel. We may be able to go longer but you are recovering from an injury so I don't want to push. If your feeling real good after about 8 weeks you can add some speed to one of your short runs but don't rush it, your race is a half ironman.

Tell us more!
2008-01-14 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1153125

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken & Gang,

Well - my 1st week was a good one, and a sore one! but that is over now! I felt really good about my training and I know what I need to work on more and what I believe my strengths are. The swim clinic yesterday was awesome! All the instructors we very knowledgable and helpful and it really made an impression on me about how important swimming and proper form are. I am looking forward to taking this new knowledge and applying it in the pool this week at the Y - I could see the change after a couple of sessions yesterday, now it's time to hone those skill sets I learned! Mt biggest accomplishments in swimming this week - learning the proper technique for breathing and just my stroke. Running - I ran my longest this Saturday at just over 4 miles in less the 60 min - it's not a rabbit run but I felt strong throughout it and managed to keep the hr down below my max. Cycle - well - that was quite the challenge - Allison at the YMCA I go to is a machine!! but she makes the ride fun and really ensures you are getting the benefit of cycle/spin class. My stats are below. Main goals I think I acheived - managing the HR to build base, learned what swimming is really about, and overall just being patient and working my mind and body to acheive the long term goal. Hope everyone else had a good week!!

Bike: 1h 20m - 10 Mi
Run: 1h 45m - 6.04 Mi
Swim: 3h 00m - 978.08 Yd
2008-01-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1153641

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
cchapman3 - 2008-01-13 9:08 PM

Fellow Triathletes,

This was a good week for training as I had some spare time on my hands with only one college course being active.  I was able to get 3 rides in totaling 83 miles, 2 runs equalling 6.5 miles (Missed the long run), two swim sessions totalling 3900 yards, and two strength sessions with some CORE work.  This coming week should be almost identical to last week with three planned bike rides (Love being on a tropical island in the South China sea), three runs (2 rather short and 1 long run), 2 or 3 swim sessions, and another 2 or 3 strength training sessions. All together I think I totalled 10 hours of training which is a really good week for me.  Although I have to admit that I might take it easy with the strength training on the legs as anyone that has ever done squats knows that it takes a couple of days before they feel fully recovered. 

I would really like to know if anyone has truly seen big improvements from strength training on the lower body.  My legs are so sore that I feel as if I may be doing more damage than good when I run or bike before they are recovered fully.  Best of luck to all in the upcoming week and remember that procrastination is the root of all evils.

Chip 

Chip,

I am goin to give you my thoughts on lower body weight training but I am also suggest you peruse the strength training part of the forums to get some additional feedback.

I have done lower body weight training (squats, leg press, etc) in the past but I usually only did it during the offseason. Like you said in your post, for strength workouts to do any good you have to have recovery and if your riding 3 days a week and running 3 days a week its hard to find recovery days. I try to incorporate strength work into my rides. I don't usually do this on long rides. Specific things I do are power starts, jumps, and low cadence work. Power starts are basically putting your bike in a gear where you are pushing about 60 cadence and then for 15 to 20 seconds push your cadence up to 90. Jumps are the same except you try to raise your cadence out of the saddle.

All that said, I really don't do much strength training. When I am at my best I do core work everyday but its been awhile since I have been there.

Edited by Manatee Express 2008-01-14 9:05 PM
2008-01-15 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I posted this in my log so I figured it should go here too. Accountability.

I had a bad experience today. For some reason I got on the scales today. I have put on 10 pounds in the last month. Whats really bad about that is I was already up 15 pounds from November 06. I had come to terms with the 15 pounds but the 10 additional is not good. I am going to start logging weight again and watching food. Wait, I run restaurants so watching the food is part of the problem. Today 206. Weight by March 15 193, weight by Gulf Coast in May 185.

2008-01-16 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1158584

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken,

I hear ya man - do not let that get the best of ya, you control you, not the food. I am sorta in the same boat - I was under 200lbs before Thanksgivin - now I tacked on about 6lbs and I cannot get back under ...I know I can..and I know what it takes for me to get there. So - hang in there. I hope to be around 190 by this Spring early Summer....that is about 10 pounds I gotta lose.....but I am gonna do it!!

Cheers!

PAPA :-)
2008-01-17 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
How we doing gang? Weight issue ticked me off but habits changing quckly. Missed swim because of work travel, but will probably make it up this weekend. Very cold here, not sure about doing a long bike this weekend. Give me some questions.

Are you guys familiar with the race report forum's? They are really fun and can be educational. Great place to find out more about races you are doing?

Ken
2008-01-17 10:16 PM
in reply to: #1162952

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken,

Well - I missed a run and swim today due to crappy weather here in Charlotte, NC - but I hope to squeeze in a run this Saturday, weather permitting. I am feeling pretty good - training is going well - for the short time I have been at it. The swim clinic I went thru last weekend was great! I got to see the pool I will be swimming in for my 1st Tri in March, they are running the lanes long way instead of the shorter way - so - at least I know what I am up against..
2008-01-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1162952

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken & Gang,

Well ..I ran my 1st race of the 2008 season and man I am proud!! I have not run a 5k in years..last one I believe was the Susan G Komen back in like 2002 here in Charlotte...and I was hurting on that one!! I really think my training is payin off ...the run was good ..some hills and some flats...mixed in throughout the course starting with a big long one within the 1st half mile...way to get the HR up there off the start line!!! It was a great run for me and I did not walk it once...ran the whole time...and I felt good once I crossed the finish...here is my official results from the race ....great way to start the season!

369 34 243 Danny Hawkins 36 M 353 N N CHARLOTTE NC 34:33 11:08
2008-01-19 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race Rusty. 5k's are awesome training tools. Really helps you understand the top end of your HR. I think my first race was 41 minutes so your ahead of where I started pretty early!

2008-01-20 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Lets get the weekly recaps out there.

For me

Swim 5250 yards
Bike 0
Run 15.2
Spinning 50 minutes
Core Work 10 minutes

I had an unplanned out of town trip, a missed alarm for swimming, and it was too cold to bike on the weekend. I don't know how I screwed up the alarm but its my responsibility. I made up one of the missed swims on Saturday when it was too wet to bike. Highlites were a 2 minute improvement since the first of the month on my 1000 yard time trial in the pool. I am still a minute off where I was in September and 2 to 3 minutes off 2006. I also am pretty proud of my long run today. By local standards, it was miserably cold but we got out there and did it. I also decided to can the 15k I was planning to run on Feb 2. I could do the distance but I have a goal half marathon on March 2nd and I would be better served continuing to build my long run rather than making a big leap for a race thats not important to me.

This weeks plans are 3 swims and to complete my January swim challenge. This will be a banner swim month if I can get all 3 of those in. I also won't this to be a drill focus week on the swim. Need to work on my breathing, minimizing my head turn.

Bike - spinning is not my favorite but it does force me to do a bike workout. I really should break out the trainer so I can really crank up the bike miles. I think we are still a couple weeks out from getting time to do a PM ride after work.

Run - Original plan was for this to be a fall back week but I felt good enough today that I think its okay to do a 4th build up to around 8 miles this week. I will also add a little more speed work into one of my shorter runs. My speed work is generally quarter mile intervals with quarter mile recovery.

Total training time, 5.67 down half an hour from last week. I will do better this week.

Lets here whats up with you guys. I don't know how you folks in the cold climes cope with the weather.
2008-01-20 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Equipment Tracker - One of the benefits of BT that you can take advantage of is the equipment tracker. This comes standard with the bronze membership and lets you track your triathlon equipment. Its simple to use and it helps you keep up with maintainance on the bike and its also useful in tracking your mileage on your shoes. Check it out when you get a chance.

Does everyone have a bike or are some of you shopping?
2008-01-22 7:46 AM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Ken and gang,

What a week.  I hit almost every goal that I set for the week with the exception of my swim on Sunday, some days the tank is full and other days its getting close to E.  Here are my stats for the week:

Swim  -  5400 yds

Bike    -  100.6 miles (3 rides)

Run     -  18.73 ( 2 easy runs, 1 fast run, and one long run

This coming week is a little different as I am going out with a small group on Tuesday to ride a Century (100 miles) with a little bit on the end to get home.  I am going to take Monday off and eat like a horse to fuel up for the ride.  Wednesday will be business as usual and back on my plan if I am not too sore from the ride. 

In response to question about the bike I currently own a 2006 Felt F4C with a set of Profile Design Carbon GT aerobars.  The bike is pretty stock other than the aerobars but I am looking at picking up another set of wheels.

I wish everyone a great week of training and keep putting one foot in front of the other one. 

2008-01-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1167208

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

All,

I own some thing you might call a bike ...hehe...it's a Wal-Mart special ! I picked up years ago when the wife and I used to trail ride for fun on the weekends before we had the kiddo's!  Anyway - its a trail/offroad bike - shocks on the front and offroad tires.  I explained the need to the wife about getting a new bike for the Tri's - nuthin too expensive but a bit better then what I currently own, at least road worthy - maybe considering a hybrid as well.  Now - the wife coverted her trail bike into a hybrid with ease, she has no shocks on hers so all she did was find some street slicks, clip on pedals and she was good to go.  I convinced her to ride this bike in her 1st tri - if she was planning on pursuing more - then we would look at investing in a new and more tri -appealing bike.  Well - now I am lookin at that as well - any advice on bikes is welcome - I do not want to dump a ton of money into new bikes for her and myself, just want to find a good deal on a decent road or hybrid that will not break the bank so to speak.  I saw a couple of decent hybrids here at a local sports store, they looked nice, from  what I could tell and I am no bike expert, they were made by Diamondback, which I know I used to ride those back when I was a kid and Diamondback, Mongoose, and some others were the crim dela crim back in those days...not sure about today.  I know Trek makes good bikes...there are so many to choose from these days...Cannondale...etc..where to start!!  My price range ..well..considering I am just entering this sport...I cannot justify investing alot of money in a bike...so...where should I start?  I would like to keep in right at $500 or less to be honest....all I need is a bare bones bike to get the job done..I do not need all the bells and whistles.....ya know. Aluminum frame is preferred due to the weight factor..and the basics, Shimano shifters, etc...I have toe cage pedals already so I plan on just sticking with those for my 1st race and I am used to them..even though you get more pull out of clip ons from what I have herd....that's about it..so yep..I am in the market for a new bike.......I am all ears. 

:-)

2008-01-22 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1167023

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken and Gang,

Well - I completed my VO2 test today and I was pleasantly surpised.  My calculations for what my max HR and so forth as been right on - thanks to Ken and many others who pointed out where and what I should be attempting to accomplish starting off.  My anaerobic threshold is at about 160 to 165 - so  I was correct and have been making sure I keep my HR down below that level when training - the race I ran this weekend has been the exception - I was in the 170 range through the race - but I felt strong and never like I was on the verge of quitting.  My overall physical condition based upon the test today and my recent change in living ( quitting smoking ) was fair - and rightly so - so I am pleased with my results.  The trainer I spoke with said I was in good shape and as long as I kept my HR in check that I was going to do just fine.  She also stated that my HR based on my age and build etc was actually right on the average so I was not hi or low on any scale - so - she basically stated and confirmed that my numbers were right on the money!  Here are my zones for training according to the test resuslts below - I was glad when she told me I was done - running on treadmill and with the Darth Vadar mask on was not fun  - I am used to running outside, with no obstruction over my mouth for breathing....needless to say. as she increased the speed and incline  - I started to breathe a lil more - and time I got to about where I feel like I have nothing left she said I was done...whew ..glad to hear that!!  She said I had a really good test reading, my HR went up gradually as expected and all the graphs showed the same, my HR, CO2 , and O2 use all were in sync.  I recommend getting this done to anyone that has any questions about max HR and where your limit is...very useful info!

Low zone - HR: 92-138 - Calories per hr : 142-637

Moderate Zone -HR: 138-155  Cal per hr: 637-845

High Zone - HR: 155-163 Cal per hr: 845-932

Peak Zone- HR: 163-165  Cal per hr: 932-961

2008-01-23 4:58 AM
in reply to: #1169479

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

PapaHawk,

It is great to hear that you have the family thing going on as I am trying to get my wife to get the Tri bug so we can experience the races together.  In regards to finding a bike on the economical side of things, I hate the word cheap, I would recommend doing this.  I would get fitted by a local bike shop so that you know your measurements and then looking at eBay because there are alot of good deals out there.  You know the saying that "One man's trash is another man's treasure".  Not literally speaking of course.  If you are looking to buy new and don't want to invest a lot of cash I would look at BikesDirect.com as they have some deals that you cannot believe sometimes.  They are some knock off brands but they come with very good component groups that you can use on another bike frame if the Tri bug bites you hard enough.  My two cents worth on getting a Tri bike.  Good luck with your search.  You have to get fitted though and that is the most important thing that I can stress.  I learned the hard way and a couple of grand later things are much better. 

2008-01-23 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1171172

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Chappy,

Thanks for the info will def look into those sites and get fitted for a bike if I need to know for sure what size frame I need, I do not mind a knock-off brand or a used bike either....

Thanks

PAPA

2008-01-23 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Rusty,

I love talking about bikes. I have a garage full of them and have spent too much money on them but I don't regret it at all. Its the part of training I enjoy the most and my enjoyment of biking is probably what made this a real addiction and not just a one year and quit thing.

That said, I did my first season on a hybrid bike. I had bought it for socially cycling when I lived in Vancouver and I probably rode it 10 times before I started doing tri's. That said, I would not spend much on upgrading hybrids. The cost of upgrading hybrids won't be that far off what you pay for a decent road bike. Chip's comment on getting sized is right on target and there are some good deals to be had on the net and in the used bike world. He mentioned Bikes Direct and I believe they carry several good brands one of which is Motobecame. I see alot of these at the races and everyone I talk to who has one loves it. Another angle is to tap in to the used bike scene. Talk to the local shops and see if they have any available and talk to other triathletes or bikers and see if they are looking to upgrade. Most of us who have been in this awhile are always looking for there next bike and the trade in value of old bikes is not very good. I have done this for others and have helped other new folks in my area do this. The other thing I would tell you is you probably should consider a road bike versus a pure tri bike. I say this because they are more acceptable in group rides and better to learn the ropes of riding on. You can add aero bars to the bike when you feel like your ready.

One of the drawbacks of being a 2 triathlete family is that you need 2 bikes instead of one. I am lucky as my wife and I are close enough in size that we can swap bikes and we have. As you start looking into this keep asking questions. Don't let anybody rush you on a great deal, there are plenty. Keep the questions coming.
2008-01-23 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I am pasteing a link to an article about HR zones and when to use them. The article is written by Mike Ricca who is one of the coaches who helps out alot on this site.

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18