Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-08-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1901752

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group closed
Steve: that was a long training weekend.  youre right about why we ride before we run.

Great mileage and great luck on that incident.  When's your IM?

2009-08-03 11:26 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

September 13th is my HIM.  I'm ready for everything at this point except the 1/2 marathon.  I'll be ready for that by the end of this month.  I have a big enough base that I just need to get some long runs in the 2 hour neighborhood to be ok.  The intervals I did last week really helped (even if it was just psychological).  I could feel the difference when I put my kick in with a half mile to go in the 10k.  I was flying like back in the day.  This week is 6-8 x 1200M.  I talked with an old teammate of mine and we have agreed to email each other our times so we can't skip out on interval workouts.  Man, we had some epic battles both in practice everyday and at meets.  We pushed each other from 1:55 halfs to 1:52 between our Junior and Senior seasons.  Ugh, I'm getting queasy just thinking about two laps sub 60 in total oxygen debt the last 300 meters.

2009-08-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2324051

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

aesophs - 2009-08-03 12:26 PM

We pushed each other from 1:55 halfs to 1:52 between our Junior and Senior seasons.  Ugh, I'm getting queasy just thinking about two laps sub 60 in total oxygen debt the last 300 meters.

Steven something tells me that you kind of liked the oxygen debt days, your just reluctant to return to that. But its beginning to surface look out world. Your going to do great and I have know doubt your HIM is going to be rewarding for you. Just remember you've got to stay on your nutrition plan on the bike, your mind will be thinking of other things and you'll forget. Or if the weather is beginning to turn to fall in your area you won't think you need as much hydration.

Mike, 57 degrees in Wichita in August? HUH, sounds great. Hope you had a good time.

2009-08-04 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Mike, I need an equipment review of your Zoot shoes.  I'm going to be in the market soon and I'm debating between Avi-Stoltz (I run on trails 95% of the time), Go-Lites, Zoot and NB trail runners.  I have a really good shoe dealer with a very knowledgable staff (two Ironman finishers on staff) but they are 100 miles away.  I don't want to drive there and have to make a decision based on no research. 

2009-08-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2328272

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Yesterday was my first time sustaining more than 1 mile at 8:30 pace - and I did it for 4 miles.
I should be able to hold 9:00 pace on 3.1 after T2, right?  I hope so.  My next sprint is on 8/22 and I have to run no slower than 9:00 to match my goal, anything below 10 will probably give me a PR but I am shooting for top 50%.

Also, signed up for my first half marathon.  Its in November.
2009-08-06 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2331489

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Good tempo run Olman!  Re: your 5k run time for a sprint, I looked at my 5K PR (a month ago) and my 5K run time for a sprint tri (5 weeks ago), and there is about 35 seconds per mile difference slower for the sprint tri.  I think you will be able to run at 9:00 for the run leg, that is a great goal, and a really good improvement compared to your past conditioning.  I know you already know this, but losing that weight makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it?!

Good luck with the half in November--I think that is my favorite distance race of all.  It is long enough to make you plan and strategize, and work to train for it, but not so long that you take so much time to recover afterward (like a marathon)...also, you feel like you get your money's worth out of your registration fee!

2009-08-06 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2328272

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Steven, so far I like the Zoots.  The sock liner is just incredibly comfortable, and they fit nicely.  I thought at first they were going to run small, but now I am not sure that they do.  I probably have 15 miles on them, have worn them sparingly as I want to save them for races, but no issues thus far.  With my 10% discount at the local tri store, I think I paid right at $90 for them.
2009-08-06 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey Guys,

It looks like everyone is in there prep for their A races upcoming. I did a sprint last weekend, small event but a good course especially the bike. I'm just not strong enough on hills to get that avg I was looking for. You can read my racereport, a bit dissapointed in the performance about a B- at best, but 3 month since last tri. So I'm not sure what I should have expected. I did get second in my AG, YEA. Had to get to ST. Pete for the remainder of the swim meet so I didn't even get to hand around and get my award. Got 2 months to HIM, so I'm picking up at week 5 of my HIM plan and I'll go from there. I'm looking at a marathon in Palm Beach on December, I'll see how the run volume goes for this next event and decide it I'm at a level I can do it. Its more for just doing the distance than a result, got to see how the body will feel at that distance before I decide to commit to an IM>

I'm excited for everyone, big events coming lots of preparation and hopefully we'll be sharing some good stories and reports.

2009-08-06 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2331938

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
The weather here has really put a beating to my training, but I'm still plugging along.  Travel the last couple of weekends (and will be in NC this weekend) also takes a toll.  I am easily where I need to be in the water for the Sept. 19 HIM, about halfway where I need to be on the bike (but am not worried, I'll get through it just maybe not 19+ mph), and am really close on the run.  Since I have a marathon only 3 weeks after the HIM, I am starting to place extra emphasis on my run training.

However, it is looking like I'll just have fun in Chicago, and save my A race for Houston 3 months later, when I'll have had good weather and good run-focused training to make a hard run at a PR.

Also, I've got my first Oly in two weeks, keep forgetting it is upcoming, am not worried about it at all other than that it will be for fun.
2009-08-10 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2331894

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Subject: Update on the Zoots
Steven, I think I was right in the first place re: the Zoots--they run small in the toe box, and I suspect about a half-size small.  I got in two runs while in NC this weekend, some nice rolling hills which I don't get in Houston, but my big toes both felt like they were jammed to the front of the shoe after each run (6 and 7 mile runs).  I think they will be fine for what I bought them for--sprint and olympic distance tris without socks--but I think a half marathon in them with socks would be too much.

A cousin of my wife's and I were visiting this weekend (he has two full and a couple of HIMs under his belt) had the same conclusion on the Zoots, suggested I try KSwiss for racing flats. 

Just wanted to close the loop on the shoes with you.
2009-08-10 11:13 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Thanks for the review Mike!!  I ran into a great deal on some Nike Lunartrainers, the ultralight training shoe.  I picked a pair up for about $70 along with the Nike+ iPod thing for another $29.  I like them, other than the fact that right out of the box I went for an 8 miler with no socks on and now have blisters all over my feet.  Dumb.  The cushioning was great and the weight was FANTASTIC!!  They are huge in the toe box, so after I ran I tightened up my yanks and that took quite a bit of the play out of the front of the shoes.  They are black, so they should at least look better after the trails.  My Brooks were good shoes, but the seams in them cut the insides of my feet up really bad and they let in everything from the trail.  They have about 400 miles on them, so I figured it was time to phase in a new pair.  I'll rotate them for a few weeks then retire the Brooks to garage days.  The Brooks smell terrible and have been relegated to outdoor/garage at all times they are not on my feet.  

The run I went on last night was awesome!  I felt really good and could have really busted it had my feet not been in flames after about mile 4.5.  I trotted the last few miles and ended up averaging just over 7 minutes.  The iPod said my fastest mile was 6:40.  I have a half marathon on 8/22 and I'm shooting for 1:24 for my goal time.  This is a small race ($20 entry fee) and I'll probably be running in front by myself (judging from the last three years' results, average winning time is 1:42) but I run more relaxed when I'm leading anyway.  I just want that mental edge going into the HIM that I have competed and put down a good time at that distance of race. 

I have really changed my viewpoint on what my race goals will be for the next few years until my kids are gone.  I think I'm going to concentrate on olympic length tris and mountain biking until it's just me and my wife in the house.  These last two years are going to go fast and I don't want to miss them putting in 15 hour training weeks.  Plus I don't like the damage the longer races do to your joints, so I'm going to do them sparingly when I do decide to go to that distance.  I'm definitely not quitting what I've started, just tempering the Ironman enthusiasm for a little while. 

2009-08-11 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Day,

I had a good week of training last week, look forward to duplicating it in the coming weeks. The relative lack of swimming this year has now been exposed, so I'm going to up the swim for a few weeks. No rythym to the stroke, and just don't feel strong on the swim at all. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the year, I hope the weather in Jacksonville for HIM has cooled a little bit by then,early October. Its Florida who knows.

So I've  been comtemplating doing a Marathon, I can't believe that I'm actually kind of looking forward to having a go at one. There is one in December that is close to home, but it is very small, can't imagine being out there by yourself basically might as well be a training run. So it's looking like going back to Jacksonville in December is the way to go. Its' less expensive $60.00, fairly large event 2500 and a Boston Qualifier, so there will some studs, and lots of  people to keep you company while you plug along. Like I said I'm acutually excited about trying it. But my mind and body have never been past 13.1, so we'll see. My legs feel pretty good so I don't think getting the mileage up is going to be a problem, just got to commit and go do it. The wife doesn't know about this yet.

Steven, my youngest leaves for college next week. We take her down to FAU on Wednesday, the oldest has moved into an apartment their as well. We take furniture for her and then on Friday the wife and I are empty nest. WOW. Not sure that opens up more time to train, but it will be different and we'll move into the next phase of life. Your probably making a wise choice to watch your kids finish their HS days and enjoy them. The youngest one thinks that we should drop her off at the curb at the dorm and be on our way, that isn't setting well with MOM! It's great to see her excitement, looking forward to independence and still call us MOMMY and DADDY.

Hope all is well everyone, look forward to hear how training is going for the upcoming events.

2009-08-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2341012

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
After a couple of fairly light training weeks due to travel, I am going to do an over-mileage week this week, especially on the run.  I confirmed that I am right where I want to be in the water again last night, swam a mile in 34 min and change (pool), HR at finish was 140.  I'll get in an open water Thurs (2100 m) also.  I am focusing on the run, just maintaining in the water and on the bike.  Chicago three weeks after the Redman HIM is staring me in the face, and my base is not where it needs to be at this point (nine weeks out).

We've been getting the boys ready to go back to Texas Tech also.  The middle son is moving into a house, so needs furniture.  The oldest is expecting to hear any day if NASA is going to make him an offer (he graduates in December, and has done three co-op tours in procurement and budget with us).  I told both of the boys that I would buy them a new shotgun as a graduation gift, so we are going to go gun shopping this weekend--who wouldn't like that?!  We go back to KS pheasant hunting every November, so I want him to be able to hunt with it this year.

Having one move out of the college thing into the adult world is another transition y'all have coming...not sure how that is going to feel.  In some ways, more "permanent" than when he started college.  But I've enjoyed watching the kids grow up, mature, develop, so guess this is just part of the process.  When he decides to actually move out of the house, well, that is inevitable but will be strange, not sure at all that that will set very well with me!

Steven, I know how you feel about the training time involved.  I've decided that the HIM in Sept. will culminate the 2009 tri season for me.  I will continue to maintain but not try stay at a HIM level my swim/bike conditioning, and will focus on running.  I've been pretty successful in fitting in my runs and swims at times that don't conflict with family life too much, but the bike mileage just takes so much time, probably why that event has suffered for me.  I would like to do a full IM one day, but I've learned that I need to strategically plan it such that I can get in 6-8 months of training without having any of it be in the May-Aug time frame here...just too damn hot.  Galveston has the Lonestar tri in early March, so that might work, and there are many others I am sure.  But it won't be until 2011 anyway, and I, also, will stick to nothing more than HIM next year as well.  Besides, I feel pretty good about going from sprints, to an oly, to a HIM in my first full season of doing tris! :-)

Roy, don't let a marathon psych you out.  Your swim/bike conditioning translates aerobically into your run conditioning and endurance training.  You just need to start upping your weekly mileage, and your Saturday long runs from where you are at and you'll be fine.  Think about your first marathon like everyone has told me to think about my first HIM--prepare for it, but don't try to race it, have fun, enjoy it, don't feel pressured.
2009-08-11 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Today's ride was an FSA assault but felt like going uphill the first half, strength improved on the second half.

HR was in zone 4 for 28:00 (good chink of it high) and even spent 7:42 in zone 5; yet I don't feel burnout. Should have been low 4.  First 1.3 mi were warm up and last 0.5 mi was cooldown.  Cadence was near 90 in avg.
I drank most of my front waterbottle w energy drink, didnt touch the other bottle w plain water (less than 15 miles).

I am thinking that my body is either (A) getting tired/burned out or (B) reverting to sugar burning mode with all these energy drinks and gels I've been using lately.  I will first try to revert (B) as I don't feel burnt and I have noticed the reliance in sugar for training, not only races.  I have also been very stressed recently (work). This may be compounding the situation. Still, two training days early in the the week - good.
2009-08-11 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Olman, help me understand the training zones (HR-wise), as I have heard others referring to them.  How do you calculate them, what do they mean, etc.  My V02-dot is 45 (from Jack Daniels' web site), and I suspect my V02 max is probably in the 170s somewhere as I train regularly in the 160-area...
2009-08-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2343013

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Mike: i always used the terms aerobic training, anaerobic, AT, LT, etc but the Garmin sw calls it zones 1-5 where Z1 is basically 50-59% of max HR, Z2=60-69 and so on.  It also has speed zones which are different for cycling and running, but are also linked to the GPS terrain grade data (hills/flats/etc).  The max HR can be calculated or it can be default (by age) I calculatede mine. As fitness improves so you have to update the Max data.

The speed zones on Garmin are described in these terms:
B: climb 4-1, flat 3-1, descent, sprint and max speed
R: slow walk-fast walk, slo jog-fast jog, slo run, run, sprint and max speed

There are some articles here at BT, on the Cardio section (paid subscribers) that talk about it, I know there's a lot of free info available on the web too.

2009-08-15 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Another day - another mock triathlon

S - 9:28.93
T1 - 0:48,7 sec
B - 47:23
T2 - 1:10.5
R - 26:16
---------------
Total: 1:25:07

Great race, including a new racer (Renee). 
As always we had a gr8 time.  Also, looks like I finally learned to record my data, just need to learn to read it while still active,

Swim pace was 3.7 mph /  43 sec/lap   
Based on my speed graphs I would have done this in 1:19:07 (6 min faster). However, I am always happy to help a fellow triathlete.
My run was awesome, Avg pace 8:29    (8:25/8:32/8:34)
2009-08-17 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
mock tri was Saturday, then Sunday I woke up to an 8 mi run.
Not complaining that it was a 10 min mile run after not doing any distance in a month or so.
2009-08-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2353330

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I got in my longest run yet this season, a 16 miler on Saturday morning.  Temp was 78 deg, humidity 94% at 0530...then it really started to get warm when the sun came up.

By mile 3 it sounded like I'd waded through a pond, my shoes were squishing so badly.  I lost 5 pounds during the run--AFTER consuming about 90 oz of fluids during the run...so I lost 10 pounds/160 oz in sweat during the run...I was wiped out Sunday, was supposed to do a long ride but instead slept an extra 2.5 hours!

The run was good though--I did a 7.5 mile loop, came back to my truck to refill bottles , stretch, and hit the head, then did an 8.5 mile loop, no stops at all, second half was about 10 sec/mile faster than first half, averaged 9:26 overall.
2009-08-17 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2353406

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Awesome.  I was running thru the same ponds.

Did u ever get the Zoots?  They have drainage holes - unlike my Asics, they turn to little rainstorm buckets.
2009-08-17 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2353406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Run Mike, how are you feeling towards your two events? I know your A race is the marathon, remember to watch the weather forcasted for the event, they have had issue up there. Most likely will not effect you since you train in the heat, but just in case be watching. It looks like you are putting most of your emphasis on the run, which I understand, but try to get in some decent bike mileage before you go to OKC. I'm six weeks out for my HIM. Swim OK, had a good bike ride on Sunday 53 miles on the TT bike, lost 5 pounds as well, but by the time I went  to bed I had regained the water weight. Most of ride was in the aero position, was comfortable so a confidence booster. As always the run will be the issue, did a 30 minute brick following was working on finding the pace that is going to allow me to keep moving forward. I'm not going to(well I hope not) give in the walk like I did at my first HIM. Thats the plan, so I've got to find that happy pace.

Anyway hope all is well with the group, Olman you've got an event this weekend, go get em.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-08-17 7:18 PM

2009-08-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2354428

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Roy, you are right about my training being run-focused.  I'll get through the bike but not much more than that, I suspect.  I have an oly this weekend, so we'll see how that goes--hopefully it will galvanize me to put in several good bike rides between now and Redman!

The swim is fine--I don't expect to win that portion anyway, and I am still coming out of the water after 1500-2000 m with a HR in the 140 range, so I am not gasping like a beached carp.

Have any of you guys done an ultra, either road race or a trail run?  I am thinking about a 50 mile trail run on Halloween and wondered what you guys thought.  You have 36 hrs to finish, and it is in some rugged hill country west of Austin, so am sure it would be more of an endurance event, not a run per se but more of a trail jog/hike.  Anyway, an ultra kind of interests me.

Have a good training week guys!  And "Happy Birthday to me" today!! :-)
2009-08-18 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2356815

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
wildcat83 - 2009-08-18 7:05 PM Roy, you are right about my training being run-focused.  I'll get through the bike but not much more than that, I suspect.  I have an oly this weekend, so we'll see how that goes--hopefully it will galvanize me to put in several good bike rides between now and Redman!

Have a good training week guys!  And "Happy Birthday to me" today!! :-)

Happy Birthday man! 
My boss is in town so I come home from calls and dinner to work some more for the next couple of days = no training.  can we call that "tapering" for the race?  I am so over the Sprint dist now... Looking for a couple of OLYs as well as signed up for a half Mary.  Soon I'll be playing in your league guys.  Soon...
2009-08-22 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Wow, not much activity since I last logged in.  I've been busy with a family reunion, house projects, training and racing over the past two weeks. 

I did my first half marathon this morning (and my first run over 10 miles ever in my life).  My goal was 1:24, finished in 1:28.  6:47 or 48 per mile.  I was by myself the whole way as there wasn't much competition at the race I ran.  Miles 5 and 6 were the hardest due to minor stomach cramps, but then I was good.  Felt really good at mile 7 and kicked it down a little bit for the remainder of the race.  I ran almost identical splits for the first and second halves of the race, 1 second difference between the two.  This race will give me a lot of confidence going into that half ironman in a few weeks.  I need to push hard on the bike over the next three weeks with lots of threshhold rides.

I gotta go, my dog is wrestling with the puppy we're watching.

2009-08-24 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Ok boys Race Reports!!!!!

Steven are you kidding me? Thats not even right you can go that fast and never have even done the distance. In my dreams. But great job on your pacing, you were very close to your time goal so mission accomplished. It won't feel the same after the bike but you've got a clue now as to how will go.

Happy Birthday Mike!!

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-08-24 11:25 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group closed Rss Feed  

of 22