Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-08-10 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED
Oh man really wish I could buy that bike, but I know it's too big for me and way too much bike at this point.  This weekend Jim brought over an old 10 speed of his that we are going to take parts off of and use with mine and make one decent (for an old one) bike out of.  Hoping to give it a spin tonight.

I think I have decided I am definitely going to do another tri before the end of the year.  I'm just debating on which of 2 it will be.  Will be in September with either one, one is out near Dayton, the other up in Akron.   

Did 2700 yards this morning in swim class.  Absolutely love my masters swim team. 

Anne, I hope you're getting more hydrated and doing better. 

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-08-12 10:18 AM

2009-08-11 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
thanks, gals. I'm better- man family stress SUCKS. I know if Mike is with me I have someone to halve the work, and remind me to drink my water, and I handle my family better. I am fully hydrated, my CMN as always is very supportive, told me to keep up everything, especially lap swim. It's on my schedule for tomorrow.

Oh, Jo- sorry about the bike, but remember how much you love your road bike versus the tri bike. Honestly, you gotta go with the bike that is the best fit for you. At the same time, Mike and I both sympathize and made a frowny face for you.

Ginny- go for it! Is the Akron one the all women's tri? My SIL has talked about doing that one, but I do not think she has trained at all since she left for the summer in Alaska. I'm so excited for you, Ginny! Let me know how the bike turns out.
2009-08-11 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Never heard back from the guy after I posted pics of the bike.  It is on my album if you want to check it out.  I don't officially have it up for sale but I just entertain offers if they come.  I will sell it eventually.

Ginny, its not too much of a bike nor is it too big for you.  You fit my mountain bike great.  We are probably the same size with our top tube measurments and height.  Don't count it out just yet.  You may want something like that next year. I'm not trying to get you to buy it but just telling you that if you want to try it out and see if you want to try aero, it'll be around, especially when we ALL do Sylvania women's next year. 

Anne-I'm glad you are feeling better.  Take care of yourself and that baby.  We want you in good shape for next season.

I did that horrible hot run on Sunday and felt okay after some salty food.  Today I tried doing a much shorter run and my back was just wonky.  OUCH!! 

Also, crabbing about WW.  I have been so so good.  Did that 10 miler on Sunday, have exercised every day, counted everything, tracked everything and only down 0.8lbs, and that is only because I had nothing to eat after 12noon.  I am discouraged but I did go.  I have a history of being a second week drop out when I return.  But I sucked it up and went to the meeting and I will go next week.  My success for the day was going eventhough I thought I would gain.  Maybe I'll lose more next week.  Giving up the wine except on weekends.  That should help too.   

2009-08-12 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
giving up alcohol makes a HUGE difference. A few glasses on the weekend are a nice treat, save up your extra points for that.

Stick with the WW; I got discouraged a lot in the beginning, with very little lost and even some gained, but once I got back into the habit of portion control, and watching the snacks, I lost 10 pounds in about 4 months- not bad! And then I was able to maintain it (until I got pregnant). The problem with us endurance sport girls is there isn't a lot to lose and with as much as we train, we keep building muscle. I used to get really mad at WW when someone would whine about how they can't find time to go for a walk, but they still got a 5 pound loss sticker for that WEEK because they were immense and could lose weight simply by following the plan. Remember, Jo, to watch how your clothes fit as you go through the WW process because that will be more of an indicator than the scale.

heading off to swim lessons for abs, and quick lap swim for me, then packing the car for some camping. just heading up to Monroe, MI, one night, but still, fun for us all. Mike has the MERCS championship race this weekend for Team Toledo, down in Maysville KY. It looks like fun- they all take a bus and a trailer to transport the bikes. Race is a Saturday night race with TONS of partying afterwards. I'm hoping to get to do it next year. Last year it was OLY only, this year it has sprint distance, too.
2009-08-12 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Have a great time camping Anne, one of my favorite things to do. 

The Akron tri I'm thinking about is actually the one on Sat.  The women's is on Sunday.  I thought about the women's one, but the Saturday fits my schedule better and I was a little disappointed in the distance on the women's one  (250 yard swim, 7 mile bike, 2 mile run)..shorter than our Sylvania one...was afraid it wouldn't be enough of a challenge. (Do I sound elitist saying that already geez Cool)

The other one is near Dayton and is the same weekend as the HM, you keep thinking about Jo.  How about you forget the HM, meet me on Sunday and do the tri instead?  Still get to go to Dayton, still get to see husband's family and we get to do another tri together Wink

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-08-12 5:15 PM
2009-08-12 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Check out my "new" OLD Bike.  Jim brought it over to take parts off of it for mine, and we realized that with the exception that this one not having a seat, it was really in good shape.  So the seat came off of the other bike and I took this one out for a spin tonight.  Certainly not lightweight, but I could go pretty fast on it compared to MTN bike speeds.  Woo hoo

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-08-13 6:32 AM

(P1010066.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
P1010066.JPG (58KB - 26 downloads)

2009-08-15 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ginny, you are really a force on that bike.  You did awesome on my mountain bike. You will only do better on that road bike.  Sweet!!!  You really are much stronger on the bike than you give yourself credit for.  You rocked Sylvania!  You are going to kill at your next one. 

Anne, hope you have recovered from your family adventure last weekend.  Take care of yourself.  You know we could do a relay, with you swimming.    There are 3 of us. 

On that note, and looking forward to next year, maybe we should consider doing an oly or a HIM relay together.  It would be a blast!  Food for thought....

2009-08-17 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
We could do the OLY relay at Maumee Bay state park next year....

I just had girls weekend and brought up triathlons, and how I wished some of my friends would join me, and oh my WORD the commotion that caused. Like, people getting angry that I would even suggest it. I was actually quite offended. So, I guess I just have to find other people to join me.

Mike had the MERCRS Championship race this weekend with Team Toledo in Maysville, KY. Notes:
1- do note EVER do that race. it is not well organized or well run. The course is good, the bike is very challenging with a huge hill that he went 5mph up.
2- the swim is in the Ohio River, and is often cancelled. this year they were unsure about it until noon on Saturday. WHY? Constant high e. coli levels in the Ohio River. Plus, the main industry there is angus beef, so when there is a ton of rain, well, there you go. Besides the high e. coli levels, Mike said he got stuck outside of the current which made his swim super slow AND he got stuck in a slow moving debris field so he was fighting large sticks, logs, and branches. And big dead fish.

So I get to watch him for signs of bacterial infection in the GI tract for the next week. He also hurt his back Friday hauling seats in and out of our van to transport his bike and still raced. Today, he can barely walk. Great.

Ginny- great bike! You have seen my old Miata, that's what it reminds me of. Cool fast bikes are nice, but it is truly all about the engine.

Last week of summer, school starts next week. Dragging the kids to the pool today as rain is coming tomorrow. Gals, I'm 25 weeks pregnant and had Abby at 39 weeks, Soph at 38. YIKES. I'm still getting my workouts in, not all of them make it onto here. Busy training for birth!
2009-08-18 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I have always wondered about those Ohio River swims.  Having grown up near it, I don't think I'd want to get in it.  YUCK. 

Yes I agree my bike does remind me of your Miata.  I am really enjoying it already.  But I did go out looking over the weekend at some new ones.  I probably won't buy anything until Spring and I'll probably go with used, but it doesn't hurt to look now does it

Training for birth is definitely something you need to do, it won't be long I'm sure.  Good luck with everything.

Jo good luck on the half...keep up the training.  I think I'm definitely doing the Hueston Woods tri the next day.  

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-08-18 2:02 PM
2009-08-19 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Had another crappy run last night.  I just don't know what I will do.  I am very frustrated.  I am going to keep plugging away for now but sure is discouraging. 

Anne-keep up the birth training.  That is much more important than anything we do and you always get the prize at the end. 

My baby, 17, went for her senior pics yesterday.  Between that, creaky bones and cranky back, I sure feel old!

2009-08-21 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
JO- focus on the yoga. I think you just need to get your center back, does that make sense? I miss running but girl, you gotta do what is fun and what feels good for your body. Listen to it! It's telling you something for a reason.

Ginny, how is the new-to-you bike? Still loving it?

We are officially in trimester 3, man is my body feeling it. My medically diagnosed Irritable Uterus is acting up already, so we had contractions Wednesday night (not fun) and I was super sore all day yesterday. Short bike ride on trainers today and lots of stretching. School starts next week and we will have more of a normal schedule- thank goodness!

everyone have a good weekend-
anne

2009-08-24 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Anne - hope the uterus decides to relax for a while.  Can't believe you're in the 3rd tri already.  That's so awesome.

Jo - how are things going with the running.  I don't know if you have had the horrible, hot, humid weather we have had, but it has made my running horrible.  I can't get any further than a couple of miles before I'm walking.  Take it slow, it will come and we'll pray for cooler less humid weather in Sept.

I am so in love with my bike   A friend who I have not talked to in several months called me up about a month ago and mentioned she was doing Peletonia.  (It's a 25 - 180 mile ride for cancer with Lance Armstrong, being held here this coming weekend)  I told her to give me a call sometime and we'd ride together.  She must have had ESP or something, because she called me just this past week, when I finally had a road bike that I could ride with her.  We went out a couple of times and are planning on going out at least once this week too.   It's great to have someone to ride with.   I still keep looking at new bikes, but for now I'm very happy with what I have.

It's a short week for me, leaving Thursday for Outer Banks for a dive trip.  Going to try to fit in at least one run, one swim and one bike before I take off.    

I still haven't pulled the trigger and actually signed up for the next tri, but I'm almost 90% sure it's going to be Hueston Woods.  I need to sign up before I leave because the cost goes up after that. 

Hope everyone has a great day

Ginny

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-08-24 8:12 AM
2009-08-24 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Your trip sounds great, Ginny! Have a great time, and here's hoping you have fabulous weather for diving. Glad you are enjoying your bike, and have a good riding friend too.

Jo, update us on your running when you get a chance!
2009-08-25 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Anne-3rd trimester, its hard to believe.  What's with the December due date?  I hope you are keeping your uterus happy and taking it easy.   How is Sophie's arm?   Has school started yet? 

Ginny-I am so glad that you are enjoying the bike.  You really are rocking your training.  I'm jealous, I've always wanted to go to OBX.   Pictures when you get back, please.

As far as my running, I am plugging along.  My back has been wonky.  I went to a free injury clinic put on by Running Fit in Ann Arbor last Thursday.  The PT who assessed me said that I have a joint and muscle issue with the left of L-5/S-1.  He said that is why it hurts with impact and I have no flexibility.  Apparently my right middle back is accomodating and causing me trouble also.  He gave me exercises to try for 2 weeks and if it doesn't improve he told me that I need to get manual physical therapy, not exercise physical therapy.  He said it is very fixable and he would recommend the PT but a doctor needs to order that.  Its felt okay with the exercise, improved maybe but I don't want to say that too soon.  I did 10 miles on the TM because it was pouring on Sunday.  I have a 5 miler scheduled tonight.  We'll see. I usually feel it the most on Tuesday after a long run on Sunday.  I am going to do whatever is my best on Sept. 19 and until then I will do my best to train. 

I tried a new sport last Saturday.  If it seems like something I might add in for crosstraining, I'll let you know.  I don't want to spill for my personal reasons (and you two know what I mean) until I see if its something I can do.  I really had a good time. I can't wait to tell you all about it.  Maybe I'll pm you. 

Have a great day!!!  

2009-08-26 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Waiting for that PM Jo   I'm curious what your new sport is.  You're going to end up  like me and be so involved in so many different sports you feel like you're running a mile a minute to do them all.  Although I really like that feeling...helps take away the empty nest feeling.

Didn't get my swim in this morning...was up late last night.  Guess I'll have to get some swimming in the ocean, leaving tomorrow!

I'm still debating on what to do on the tri.  I want to do Hueston Woods, but it's a 2 hour drive...my other option would be to do the woman's only tri at Deer Creek  (only 20 mins from my house), but I feel like that will not be much of a challenge.  (Only 250 yard swim, 7 mile bike and 2 mile run)  Decisions decisions.  I have to make a decision before I leave, because Hueston woods goes up afterwards. 
2009-08-31 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Back from a nice trip, however it wasn't to the Outer Banks.  I'm so disappointed, but tropical storm Danny would have meant no diving and probably nothing but rain so no beach laying either.

So we went down to Natural Bridge Kentucky.  Did some winery hopping on Friday and then hiking on Saturday and Sunday. 

Today the weather is beautiful and I got my first good run in since our tri.  We have early fall weather and that's when I remember why I like to run.  Gorgeous out today!

2009-09-01 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Food for thought:  The Cedar Point IM has an HIM distance on 9/12/10.  With some training, I'm thinking we could do this.  It gives Ginny and I a year and Anne, it would give you about at least  6 months post baby recovery to train.  Why should your dear hubby have all the fun?  Hmmmm.......

2009-09-03 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
My running totally sucks lately.  Ever since my HM I have not had one "normal" week.  (Normal being my old base of 12 - 15 mpw)  I can't even seem to build back up to at least 3 days a week of running at least 3 miles.  My first run of the week I'm ok...but then the next one it's either been too humid or whatever excuse it is I can find to end up walking some of it or just plain calling it early.   Now my ankle is acting up again.  I was just yesterday thinking about giving up running altogether.  I've upped my membership at Masters swim so I could swim 4 days a week now if I wanted, so I'm getting plenty of cardio.  And I'm loving the bike now that I'm not so nervous about it.  But it just kills me to think that if I quit running altogether I wouldn't be able to run a 5K sometime etc.  I'm pretty bummed about it.  Gorgeous weather and I'm heading out today and praying that it will be a good run day.  (Third one of the week, first one was great, 2nd one I didn't even make it  2 miles)

So I said all that because I don't nkow that I'll ever run more than a 5K again, Jo.  There's no way I could even think about doing a HIM.  I think I'd be fine with the swim and the bike even, but the run is the hardest part for me.  And training for the HM took so much time, I was soo sick of running, can't imagine training for that and training to swim and ride also.

(Any chance of a relay HIM maybe?) Anyhow I'm just whining today. 
2009-09-03 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2386727

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I'm sorry.  I meant as a relay, not each doing an HIM, just 1 leg. 

There are people in my group who race walk a lot faster than I run, and most of them are over 70.  I may be doing that  instead of running next year.  My times might even be faster.  I am having issues with running too but am still plugging away toward the USAF half.  Have you signed up for the Hueston Woods yet or  another tri this season? 

Ann-where are you?  Hope all is well. 

2009-09-03 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
OH as relay I'm thinking yeah that would be fun!  Have to wait to see if it fits in my schedule.  My father has a canoe event that we attend every year in Akron.  It's usually the first weekend in Sept, so it may not work out.  (Unless they change the weekend for some reason)

My run went ok today.  I slowed down and quit watching my Garmin (except to see that I needed to slow down more).  I have been trying to run as fast as I was back when I had a good base.  I need to stop thinking of myself as having a base and start thinking more like a beginner again.  No speed work, only increase by 10% each week, etc.  Once I get back up to where I'm running 4 miles 3 days a week then I'll worry about maybe getting a longer run or adding some speed work.  For now it's all about just relaxing and enjoying my pace. 

I pulled the plug and signed up for Hueston Woods finally.  I'm in now   (And I didn't have to register for the Mountain Bike group, woo hoo )

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-09-03 2:09 PM
2009-09-04 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hi gals- sorry. I have been swamped. Abs is back to school; Sophie is newly diagnosed with sensory nerve damage in her hand/arm from the break and surgery. Her PT, plus regular house stuff, and doctors appointments.....you see where this is going.

Alright- Ginny- congrats on the sign up for the Hueston Woods race.

Jo- you are (blankety blank blank more inventive cursing blank blank blank) crazy. I know a TON of local triathletes who are jumping on that Cedar Point HIM/Ironman like flies on a pile of hot . NO WAY IN HELL am I ever doing a HIM. I watched Mike do the one in June and I am quite happy spectating. Mike has some buddies who signed up to do the Ironman distance and I threatened to divorce him if he did that next year. WE DO NOT SLEEP with a newborn, we often do not sleep the entire first year. I will be quite happy fitting in some sprint races next summer and then shoot for my goal of an OLY in 2011. The OLY is the longest I ever intend to do or train for. I am lucky to find half an hour a day to train with two kids, and I do not anticipate finding more time than that. Now, Jo, with all that said, I will support you if you do this and resist the urge to tell you constantly that you are insane. And, if you want to do a relay, I will do an OLY distance relay but not HIM. You gotta find another girl, one that won't be nursing and not sleeping.

My body is slowing down, I'm still doing brisk walking with a few neighbor pals and getting on my bike occasionally. I am hoping to get back to lap swim next week. I keep waiting for things to slow down and get into a routine- and it just does not happen.

2009-09-04 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2389571

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

AKR18 - 2009-09-04 11:24 AM Jo- you are (blankety blank blank more inventive cursing blank blank blank) crazy. I know a TON of local triathletes who are jumping on that Cedar Point HIM/Ironman like flies on a pile of hot . NO WAY IN HELL am I ever doing a HIM. I watched Mike do the one in June and I am quite happy spectating. Mike has some buddies who signed up to do the Ironman distance and I threatened to divorce him if he did that next year. WE DO NOT SLEEP with a newborn, we often do not sleep the entire first year. I will be quite happy fitting in some sprint races next summer and then shoot for my goal of an OLY in 2011. The OLY is the longest I ever intend to do or train for. I am lucky to find half an hour a day to train with two kids, and I do not anticipate finding more time than that. Now, Jo, with all that said, I will support you if you do this and resist the urge to tell you constantly that you are insane. And, if you want to do a relay, I will do an OLY distance relay but not HIM. You gotta find another girl, one that won't be nursing and not sleeping.

I don't think I heard you up hear in Michigan. Did you say you'd love to do an HIM relay with me and Ginny? 

Are we feeling a little hormonal these days?  Pregnancy is great training for endurance events.  You are training 24 hours a day during the pregancy and after.  You are miles above us with mental training and stamina, and you are a lot younger than us old folks.  Me being the oldest.  (meant purely in a vintage wine sort of way)

We gave you some slack this year.  Next year though is your year and dear HIM hubby should be staying up with the young'uns.  He owes you some training time.   So lets look for an oly relay to do at the end of next season.  I think it would be fun to have a "fancy pants" relay. 

2009-09-04 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Oly relay- I'm in. If you want end of season, doable. I can even do the OLY relay at Maumee Bay! That is father's day weekend.

Quit trying to butter me up. I'm all swollen and grumpy and everything hurts. I am NOT a good pregnant person.
2009-09-09 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann-you are an awesome person, pregnant or not!  I am so glad that the 3 of us are there for each other. 

Speaking of which, this USAF half is going to be lonely.  I posted on Ohio BT thread and no response.  It doesn't exist on races on BT, so no one has added it.  I posted on Runners World on 2 different threads and no one is doing it.  I did get one person who might be doing the 10k. If no one is doing this than why are all the hotels booked?  I was late reserving so Bill and I will be at the Motel 6, it was that or a motel with hourly rates.  I went for the upgrade. 

Have a groovy week!  I have a 5 mile run and a 10-12 mile run yet this week and then a 75 mile bike on Sunday.  I am crazy!!!  But you all knew that and love me anyway.

Ginny-how is training going for Heuston Woods?  I saw it was hilly.  I'm so glad I stuck with the flat HM only.  There is no way I could've done both. 

2009-09-09 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I was suprised that no one from BT was doing the USAF also.  I know several people I work with did it last year, but seems none of them are doing it this year.  I know there will be tons of people there though and you'll have a great time.

BTW, I am only an hour from Dayton...if the hotel turns out to be bad or you just don't want to stay there, my house is open.  I have 2 empty bedrooms that never get used.  You've got my phone number right?  Give me a call

Yes Hueston Woods is supposed to be rolling hills.  I'm a little nervous about that, but this was the only tri that I could fit in before the end of the season.  I'm still looking forward to it.  Hopefully I'll make up on the downhills what I lose on the uphills.

My running still is really sucking, but I'm going to stick it out and start building some mileage.  I think that will make it better. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23