BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-05-15 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2152942

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

steph94483 - 2009-05-15 11:14 AM So, girls... I need a new swimsuit. I went to the mall this week, and found exactly two that didn't have buckles or strings holding it together. Where do you go to find something that was made for function and not fashion?

Heh, my bathing suit collection consists of speedos and bikinis Are you looking for one to lounge around in at the pool, on the beach? Or train in?

2009-05-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2152954

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-15 10:18 AM

steph94483 - 2009-05-15 11:14 AM So, girls... I need a new swimsuit. I went to the mall this week, and found exactly two that didn't have buckles or strings holding it together. Where do you go to find something that was made for function and not fashion?

Heh, my bathing suit collection consists of speedos and bikinis Are you looking for one to lounge around in at the pool, on the beach? Or train in?

Training! My current collection is from several pounds ago. 
2009-05-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2152972

steph94483 - 2009-05-15 11:25 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-15 10:18 AM

Training! My current collection is from several pounds ago. 

Oh, okay. For training, I wear actual "swimmer" brands, so nothing you're gonna find at Target or Kohl's, etc. I'm talking Speedo, TYR, Nike, etc. They are expensive, for sure. BUT you can usually find great deals online at places like swimoutlet.com. True, you can't try them on, but some larger department stores like Macy's sometimes sell a limited selection of those kinds of suits to try on. And I'd imagine you could probably find some at Dick's or Sports Authority or places like that - maybe a limited supply, but just to try on. Not sure if you have any actual swim stores in your area. Online is the  best place to find cheap deals, though. Usually, they have "grab bag" specials, where you get 2 or 3 suits for $20 each or so (compared to $50+ per suit, normally), but it's usually the weird colors or patterns, so as long as you don't mind "uglies"

A note about material - training swim suits are usually made of lyrca/spandex, or polyester. Lycra/spandex stretches more, but doesn't last as long. Polyester lasts forever agains the chlorine, but doesn't stretch much, so you might have to go up a size for comfort. I know lycra/spandex/poly blends are becoming more popular now, which is nice.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-05-15 10:31 AM
2009-05-15 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
Good info. I was in Dillards when I found the suits this week. One was a nike and I don't remember the other one. They didn't have any Speedos, which is what I was looking for, and then they were so expensive! How can such a small article of clothing be $95 bucks!

Edited by steph94483 2009-05-15 10:52 AM
2009-05-15 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2153034

steph94483 - 2009-05-15 11:51 AM Good info. I was in Dillards when I found the suits this week. One was a nike and I don't remember the other one. They didn't have any Speedos, which is what I was looking for, and then they were so expensive! How can such a small article of clothing be $95 bucks!

You know where else you can SOMETIMES find Speedo/Nike/TYR suits - TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I have a Nike suit that I got at Marshalls like 6 years ago for $20 or something like that. Worth a look, if you have the stores nearby. I think the Nike brand is easiest to find in non-swim-specific stores because the sporting line in itself is carried by so many dept. stores. Nordstrom carries a ton of Nike running stuff, along with other Nike "sportswear", which is more cute than functional

2009-05-15 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2153060

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
We have a Marshalls here, so I will try there first. Thanks! Maybe I'll be able to get two for the price of one at Dillards.

2009-05-17 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2153070

User image

steph94483 - 2009-05-15 12:04 PM We have a Marshalls here, so I will try there first. Thanks! Maybe I'll be able to get two for the price of one at Dillards.

I have a bunch of Speedos that I wear...and I get them all online...Speedo always has a bunch of great suits on sale on their website.  I just got onhe for $28...

Just be careful on sizing, as I find them to be on the smaller side...
2009-05-17 10:21 AM

User image

So, went swimming in the lake yesterday - 55 degrees - HOLY F*%$!!!!!!!!!!   The wetsuit was amazing - but my hands felt like they were going to fall off, then they finally got a little better, but my lungs felt like they were caving in - I have pretty bad asthma, and it did not feel good...then I held onto the ladder on the dock for a minute, then swam a little more, then tried to put my face in & it was a total ice cream headache - I just couldn't do it...so I swam a little more, but never with face in the water...

Then I got the wetsuit off which wasn't bad; then got on the bike, only went a little bit, I felt alright, but my leg muscles just were worn out after the freezing swim...so I only biked 2.5 miles, the walked half a mile.  Walking felt good...but I was definitely disappointed...and now worried...

So, tomorrow I will bike and walk, then Tues. swim, and I am getting there early so I can get a long workout in...we will be at the lake over Mem. Day weekend so I will have some time to get into water again, and work on everything...

Then again 2 days before my race...
2009-05-17 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Evening ladies and gents
how are we all?
I'm currently at 14/20 on this months challange hows rest of you doing?
also great news is that the bike is at my parents house, now i just have to figure how to get it here...
2009-05-18 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2155787

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-17 11:09 AM
steph94483 - 2009-05-15 12:04 PM We have a Marshalls here, so I will try there first. Thanks! Maybe I'll be able to get two for the price of one at Dillards.

I have a bunch of Speedos that I wear...and I get them all online...Speedo always has a bunch of great suits on sale on their website.  I just got onhe for $28...

Just be careful on sizing, as I find them to be on the smaller side...

Swimsuits do run a bit on the small side because competitive swimmers wear them that way. So they may feel a little tight, but as long as you can stretch the straps a bit, it fits well.

2009-05-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2155804

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-17 11:21 AM So, went swimming in the lake yesterday - 55 degrees - HOLY F*%$!!!!!!!!!!   The wetsuit was amazing - but my hands felt like they were going to fall off, then they finally got a little better, but my lungs felt like they were caving in - I have pretty bad asthma, and it did not feel good...then I held onto the ladder on the dock for a minute, then swam a little more, then tried to put my face in & it was a total ice cream headache - I just couldn't do it...so I swam a little more, but never with face in the water...

Then I got the wetsuit off which wasn't bad; then got on the bike, only went a little bit, I felt alright, but my leg muscles just were worn out after the freezing swim...so I only biked 2.5 miles, the walked half a mile.  Walking felt good...but I was definitely disappointed...and now worried...

So, tomorrow I will bike and walk, then Tues. swim, and I am getting there early so I can get a long workout in...we will be at the lake over Mem. Day weekend so I will have some time to get into water again, and work on everything...

Then again 2 days before my race...

Great job getting in that water!! 55 degrees is freakin' cold, I'll give you that one. And while it will feel like your breath is being take away, I've heard that cold temps really can affect your breathing, so be careful I've only swum as cold as 62 degrees and at first it sucked, but once you got going, it was fine. But when I got out, I felt weird.

Sounds like you've got a good week planned!

2009-05-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2156351

SteveyD - 2009-05-17 6:58 PM Evening ladies and gents
how are we all?
I'm currently at 14/20 on this months challange hows rest of you doing?
also great news is that the bike is at my parents house, now i just have to figure how to get it here...

Nice progress I haven't counted my squares, but this past week was a full week, and I've got another race coming up towards the end, so I will be solid. Plus, if I DON'T make the 20 squares, that makes me a pretty bad mentor!!

Had a craptastic run on Saturday morning - it was hot and muggy and we were running through the woods, which normally is fun, but it felt like the rain forest. Not quite acclimated to the humidity yet. I hate this time of year. It was 60 yesterday, after being 80-something the day before. Blech.

2009-05-18 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2155804

User image

Regular
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-17 10:21 AM So, went swimming in the lake yesterday - 55 degrees - HOLY F*%$!!!!!!!!!!   The wetsuit was amazing - but my hands felt like they were going to fall off, then they finally got a little better, but my lungs felt like they were caving in - I have pretty bad asthma, and it did not feel good...then I held onto the ladder on the dock for a minute, then swam a little more, then tried to put my face in & it was a total ice cream headache - I just couldn't do it...so I swam a little more, but never with face in the water...

Holy crap that's cold!!!  YOWZERS!!!!!!!!  I hope my lake isn't that cold in 3 weeks! Pools sure spoil!!!  I am impressed you did what you did!
2009-05-18 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2152942

User image

Regular
steph94483 - 2009-05-15 10:14 AM So, girls... I need a new swimsuit. I went to the mall this week, and found exactly two that didn't have buckles or strings holding it together. Where do you go to find something that was made for function and not fashion?

I agree, speedos do the trick. We have a competitive swim store in the area called Kiefer.  It is right by my work and super convienient.  They also have an online store:  http://www.kiefer.com/Default.aspx? maybe that will help?
2009-05-18 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2158246

amkaz - 2009-05-18 1:25 PM
steph94483 - 2009-05-15 10:14 AM So, girls... I need a new swimsuit. I went to the mall this week, and found exactly two that didn't have buckles or strings holding it together. Where do you go to find something that was made for function and not fashion?

I agree, speedos do the trick. We have a competitive swim store in the area called Kiefer.  It is right by my work and super convienient.  They also have an online store:  http://www.kiefer.com/Default.aspx? maybe that will help?
I get the Kiefer catalogues all the time, because now that I've done a handful of triathlons and I'm a registered USMS swimmer (our tri team requires it, for insurance purposes), every running/triathlon/cycling/swimming retailer has my name in their database

Once you know what size you are in a brand, then you can hunt for discounts online, like grab bag that I mentioned.

2009-05-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2158237

User image

amkaz - 2009-05-18 1:23 PM
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-17 10:21 AM So, went swimming in the lake yesterday - 55 degrees - HOLY F*%$!!!!!!!!!!   The wetsuit was amazing - but my hands felt like they were going to fall off, then they finally got a little better, but my lungs felt like they were caving in - I have pretty bad asthma, and it did not feel good...then I held onto the ladder on the dock for a minute, then swam a little more, then tried to put my face in & it was a total ice cream headache - I just couldn't do it...so I swam a little more, but never with face in the water...

Holy crap that's cold!!!  YOWZERS!!!!!!!!  I hope my lake isn't that cold in 3 weeks! Pools sure spoil!!!  I am impressed you did what you did!

Thanks!  I couldn't believe how cold it was...and as Chrissy said, it can cause lung problems, which I already have...it was bad...  But, I stayed in and at least tried to swim  a little more, but I couldn't put my face in...yuck!  Anyway, I will try more this weekend when we are there again...but I'm a little worried now...Undecided

2009-05-18 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2158321

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-18 1:46 PM
amkaz - 2009-05-18 1:23 PM

Thanks!  I couldn't believe how cold it was...and as Chrissy said, it can cause lung problems, which I already have...it was bad...  But, I stayed in and at least tried to swim  a little more, but I couldn't put my face in...yuck!  Anyway, I will try more this weekend when we are there again...but I'm a little worried now...Undecided

Yup, another chance to practice will be good. Just go SLOW at first and try to stay relaxed (I know, that's hard). Same with the race, esp. since you actually have a breathing issue. Once you start moving, you'll warm up a bit, but that's still really cold, so you'll probably have that ice cream headache feeling when you get out of the water. Neoprene cap with other cap on top, earplugs to keep the water out of your ears, and even the booties if you want.

2009-05-18 12:58 PM

User image

Yeah, I wore the booties, and they definitely helped; some people said they get lots of water in them, but it didn't seem bad to me...plus, it's not like I'm a race swimmer, it's not going to make or break my day   I have the neoprene cap, and my regular cap...I wear that really low so it covers my ears, is it better if I have that higher, and ear plugs??  Does your face ever get acclimated???
2009-05-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2158373

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-18 1:58 PM Yeah, I wore the booties, and they definitely helped; some people said they get lots of water in them, but it didn't seem bad to me...plus, it's not like I'm a race swimmer, it's not going to make or break my day   I have the neoprene cap, and my regular cap...I wear that really low so it covers my ears, is it better if I have that higher, and ear plugs??  Does your face ever get acclimated???

My face did get acclimated, but my lake was 62, which I think is a big difference from 55, even though it was still really cold.

2009-05-18 1:06 PM

User image

Well, that's good to know!!  They say by race day that it has eben 65 last 3 years...so I'm hoping!  And I'm going to really push it in swim training...so we'll see!!
2009-05-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2158405

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-18 2:06 PM Well, that's good to know!!  They say by race day that it has eben 65 last 3 years...so I'm hoping!  And I'm going to really push it in swim training...so we'll see!!

65 will be much more manageable! Before the race, get in the lake, wade around, let water get into your wetsuit, and do some light swimming (face in) in order to get acclimated. Then when you actually get in the water for your start, it won't be the first time and it will be much less of a shock to your system.

2009-05-18 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
no training for my weekend do to work. so today was another early morning hilly walk, swim, and circuit training to work off the dreaded sunday brunch buffet. i hope that everyone had a great weekend. now lets get through another monday.
2009-05-18 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2158459

wplummer - 2009-05-18 2:21 PM no training for my weekend do to work. so today was another early morning hilly walk, swim, and circuit training to work off the dreaded sunday brunch buffet. i hope that everyone had a great weekend. now lets get through another monday.

I know - I don't like Mondays, except for my Monday night run.

2009-05-19 8:05 AM

Morning BUMP It's nice weather again today, albeit it a little cool. I'm getting kinda sick of this. It's the end of May in Virginia - it should be warmer than this!!

2009-05-19 9:55 AM

User image

I guess I'm a true Northerner - I LOVE this weather, sunny but cool!!  Things are going well, got bloodwork done to se what the hell the deal is with my stomach...and I will be swimming at noon - and I am going to do a LOT since I have realized that I am totally weak in the cold water!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29