BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-02-08 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
Sorry about the kidney stone Derek Hope you get better. If you need a long slow run Saturday, KG and I will be doing our 10 mile run @ WRL.

BTW, what does everybody use for hydration on long runs? I don't like holding anything, so the water bottle grip is out of the question. Fuel belt? Camel pak? I didn't hydrate on my 9 mile run this past Sunday and I suffered through it.

Hope everybody has a great week!

2010-02-08 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2660359

User image

Veteran
Chicago
calimavs - 2010-02-07 8:39 PM Hi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Race report here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=195726

I'll be updating my blog tonight too and posting some pictures my husband took during the race.

Way to go!! Great job!!

Edited by AngieF02 2010-02-08 9:31 PM
2010-02-08 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2662439

User image

Veteran
Chicago
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-08 8:42 PM Sorry about the kidney stone Derek Hope you get better. If you need a long slow run Saturday, KG and I will be doing our 10 mile run @ WRL.

BTW, what does everybody use for hydration on long runs? I don't like holding anything, so the water bottle grip is out of the question. Fuel belt? Camel pak? I didn't hydrate on my 9 mile run this past Sunday and I suffered through it.

I have two hydration belts. A fuel belt with two bottles, this works for me in cool weather or on shorter warm weather runs since the bottles are a bit small and I don't have anywhere to refill them on my routes. I also have a camelback (with a bottle) that a friend gave me that has worked great for longer runs. It has a larger bottle and sits mid back, although it's a bit bouncer than the fuel belt, I made it tighter and really don't notice it anymore. I don't run without some hydration, I learned the hard way too!Laughing
2010-02-08 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2660359

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
calimavs - 2010-02-07 9:39 PM Hi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Congrats.  You're an inspiration!
2010-02-08 10:56 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I've worked up to 4 mile runs now since I started back into running.  Woo hoo :-)

The physical therapy has almost eliminated the hip pain.  Next appointment I actually get to get onto a treadmill and run for the therapist.  He said we'll work on form since I'm pretty sure mine sucks.

I'm really feeling some significant right heel pain after runs so today the PT gave me some more stretches and told me that at 180-190 miles on my shoes it's probably time for new ones.  Plus I have to switch to the elliptical for the week.  I HATE HATE HATE the elliptical.

I've put the Hal Higdon 1/2 marathon plan into my planned training log.  I plan to see how the next couple of weeks go with the heel pain and then register to do Cincinnati's Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon on May 2.  Is it doable to combine a sprint training plan with more running and a half mary plan or do I need to back off the tri level bike training until after the half mary?  I'm planning on keeping 30min swim twice a week since that's the easy sport for me.  I still want to do a few sprint tri's this summer.
2010-02-08 11:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-08 6:42 PMSorry about the kidney stone Derek Hope you get better. If you need a long slow run Saturday, KG and I will be doing our 10 mile run @ WRL.

I'm the complete opposite, I like having something in my right hand and hate stuff around my waist, so I love my handheld bottle. That said at my half mary yesterday I saw a TON of people with fuel belts and they seem to work well if you don't mind something around your waist. I also saw some similar designs worn around the waist where there is just one larger bottle that sits right at the small of your back. Those seem good to me because I think they would tend to bounce a bit less in that position.

2010-02-09 12:29 AM

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-08 8:42 PMSorry about the kidney stone Derek Hope you get better. If you need a long slow run Saturday, KG and I will be doing our 10 mile run @ WRL.

I am pretty sure this will work great for you. You might even have one already.

http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/thirstred800w.jpg

I am just saying...

2010-02-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2662688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Big_D - 2010-02-09 12:29 AM
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-08 8:42 PMSorry about the kidney stone Derek Hope you get better. If you need a long slow run Saturday, KG and I will be doing our 10 mile run @ WRL.

I am just saying...

LOL!! Nice Derek....I actually already have one in the shape of a viking helmet though....not sure where it is. Thanks for the replies. I just got back from REI and bought a light weight fuel belt, on sale for $19.99. We'll see how it goes on the 10 miler this weekend.
2010-02-09 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2664065

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-09 3:06 PM

I am just saying...

LOL!! Nice Derek....I actually already have one in the shape of a viking helmet though....not sure where it is. Thanks for the replies. I just got back from REI and bought a light weight fuel belt, on sale for $19.99. We'll see how it goes on the 10 miler this weekend.

You could use that one in the Warrior Dash!!!!  Sweet!!

Nice deal on the belt, I have been waiting for 's next big sale to buy one.  Maybe I will swing by REI!  How many bottles and how many ounces total does it carry?
2010-02-09 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2664181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Big_D - 2010-02-09 3:46 PM
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-09 3:06 PM

I am just saying...

You could use that one in the Warrior Dash!!!!  Sweet!!

Nice deal on the belt, I have been waiting for 's next big sale to buy one.  Maybe I will swing by REI!  How many bottles and how many ounces total does it carry?

http://www.rei.com/product/798350

The above model is the one I got on sale. Adjustable belt, 2 bottles, and a pouch for stuff. I went to REI off of LBJ and when I left there were only 2 left. Crap, if I'd known I would've bought yours. Each bottle holds 8 oz, I didn't want anything super heavy flopping around on my waist plus I've never run with one so wasn't sure I would like it. You can also buy extra cannisters/hosters to slide onto the belt for a few more bucks. I really wanted a pink one but the cheapest I could find was $32.00 on Amazon + shipping time, but I figured I should probably start running with hydration on my long runs now.
2010-02-09 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
I have a fuel belt with small bottles and it works pretty well. I normally rotate it a bit so that the bottles are not on my hip bones. I sweat A LOT, so I need a some hydration.

by the way I am feeling much better after my adjustment yesterday so I hope tomorrow I can swim or maybe a light jog.

Have a good one!!

2010-02-10 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great work everyone. Derek feel better soon. Kidney stones suck.

Oh and I like carrying water in my hand too.

So my training has been sad. Too much homework and being sick.
2010-02-10 12:56 PM

User image

Master

Hey there guys.  I haven't been on the computer since last week...trying to get caught up.  Unexpected snow, then it turned out to be alot of it.  A 1/2 inch will usually shut the city down and we got 7!  It's been a ton of fun though. 

Had a hiccup in my run last Saturday.  All was well and we were feeling really strong.  Until mile 11!  Then, I got this aweful catch in the outside of my left knee.  Tried to work it out, walk it out, run it out...nothing worked.  I had to walk the last 6 or 7 miles.  It was freezing and I couldn't get warm b/c I couldn't run.  Did a mile hike yesterday and I could feel it trying to get catchy and hurt.  I have my l o n g run this Satruday...20 miles.  Hope to heck it straightens itself out.  Good news is that I pushed thru the shin splints!

2010-02-10 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2666066

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
crews - 2010-02-10 12:56 PM

Hey there guys.  I haven't been on the computer since last week...trying to get caught up.  Unexpected snow, then it turned out to be alot of it.  A 1/2 inch will usually shut the city down and we got 7!  It's been a ton of fun though. 

Had a hiccup in my run last Saturday.  All was well and we were feeling really strong.  Until mile 11!  Then, I got this aweful catch in the outside of my left knee.  Tried to work it out, walk it out, run it out...nothing worked.  I had to walk the last 6 or 7 miles.  It was freezing and I couldn't get warm b/c I couldn't run.  Did a mile hike yesterday and I could feel it trying to get catchy and hurt.  I have my l o n g run this Satruday...20 miles.  Hope to heck it straightens itself out.  Good news is that I pushed thru the shin splints!

What do you mean by a catch. Sometimes pain on the outside of the knee is the IT band. I had that issue in 2007.
2010-02-10 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2662650

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
calimavs - 2010-02-08 9:17 PM
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-08 6:42 PMSorry about the kidney stone Derek Hope you get better. If you need a long slow run Saturday, KG and I will be doing our 10 mile run @ WRL.

I'm the complete opposite, I like having something in my right hand and hate stuff around my waist, so I love my handheld bottle. That said at my half mary yesterday I saw a TON of people with fuel belts and they seem to work well if you don't mind something around your waist. I also saw some similar designs worn around the waist where there is just one larger bottle that sits right at the small of your back. Those seem good to me because I think they would tend to bounce a bit less in that position.
I'm with Margot on this. For runs longer than 3 miles, I always carry a handheld bottle. They're sold in the same area as the hydration belts at most running stores. I hate wearing things around my waist.
2010-02-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2666066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
crews - 2010-02-10 12:56 PM

Ugh, so sorry to hear that! Hope your knee feels better, but yay pushing through shin splints!

2010-02-11 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

I hope everyone is having a good week so far.

I ran for the first time with a fuel belt....meh, it was ok. I think I need to tighten it up a bit. I can see why some of ya'll don't like things around your waists. Anyways, I had a 5 mile run yesterday and was .16 short making my mileage because BAM!!!! I tripped and fell!!! Ripped my lt glove and landed on my lt knee. It's bruised, swollen and sore. I'm ok I think, but I'm frustrated b/c I was feeling really good last night, pushed through some shin/calve issues and now this. Yeah, this is why I prefer the water over the land...I am sooo not graceful on land. Sheesh!

Anyways, becuase of my knee I'm missing my 2nd run this week. I would rather miss my short run and make my long run. So, that means I will go into my long during the weeknd (10 miles) w/just a 4.84 mile run this week. Is that ok? I know this is not optimal but I am trying to give my knee some time to heal up. I have a month and 2 days before the half marathon and I just want to make sure I am going about this the right way on mileage.

2010-02-11 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2667741

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-11 7:58 AM

I ran for the first time with a fuel belt....meh, it was ok. I think I need to tighten it up a bit. I can see why some of ya'll don't like things around your waists. Anyways, I had a 5 mile run yesterday and was .16 short making my mileage because BAM!!!! I tripped and fell!!! Ripped my lt glove and landed on my lt knee. It's bruised, swollen and sore. I'm ok I think, but I'm frustrated b/c I was feeling really good last night, pushed through some shin/calve issues and now this. Yeah, this is why I prefer the water over the land...I am sooo not graceful on land. Sheesh!

Anyways, becuase of my knee I'm missing my 2nd run this week. I would rather miss my short run and make my long run. So, that means I will go into my long during the weeknd (10 miles) w/just a 4.84 mile run this week. Is that ok? I know this is not optimal but I am trying to give my knee some time to heal up. I have a month and 2 days before the half marathon and I just want to make sure I am going about this the right way on mileage.

Ow, that sucks! Hope your knee heals up really quickly.

I'm no expert and others can chime in but I think you should be ok trying the 10 miler. You still have a month before your race, so see how you feel around mile 7 and make the call there if you should cut the run short or do the whole thing. If you cut it short, no biggie, you still have ample opportunity to get in the long runs you need and still have time for taper.
2010-02-11 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So I've taken the last three days off after the half marathon. It's been really nice. Made sure to do some good stretching and walking each day, but no S/B/R. I'm looking at this as a mini off season before I start training for Wildflower and Vineman. Tonight I'm getting on the trainer and doing an hour to get back into the swing of things.
2010-02-11 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-11 9:58 AM

Smart choice. Skip the short and go long. I am running 13 sat. Where you running
2010-02-11 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2668282

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
KSH - 2010-02-11 1:20 PM

Smart choice. Skip the short and go long. I am running 13 sat. Where you running

Saturday it's supposed to warm up to the 50's I'm heading out to WRL w/my running partner.

2010-02-11 2:36 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey group! Sorry I've been MIA, my weekend was busy with a visit from my parents and then we've gotten 2 big snow storms! I'm so over winter... 

Training this week is going pretty good..the roads were so bad on Tuesday I was not able to get to the gym so I had to do some reearranging in my schedule.  And now I'm having problems getting myself to the gym! Last night I had to DRAG myself to the pool and once I was there and swimming I felt great (which I knew I would)..and this morning I had to DRAG myself to spinning and of course once I was there I had a great spin class and I felt great afterwards.  I guess it just goes to show, but I'm not sure what is up with my 'tude!   At least I'm getting myself to the gym. 

Tomorrow I'm going to swim and run before work (I dont' work until 1) So hopefully I'm motivated enough to get up early and accomplish both workouts!

2010-02-11 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

Man, sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you heal soon and yep I would also do a nice easy long run and see how it feels.

I´m telling you, there is something in the air... today my back is feeling much better, so I went out for a bike ride with my friends and sssssssss flat back tire at 30km. I had just replaced that back tire and did not have a spare. After trying to fix it and re pump I realized I was going nowhere, so I stoped on the side of the road, unclipped my left leg... and yep... fell to my right where I was still clipped. Not the smoothest move if I say so myself. Oh well... a few smal scratches... nothing major. Had to get a ride back home.

I have tubulars on my bike right now but after today I am definitively going to change to clinchers after today. Carrying a tubular spare is a pain and for a long race I would like to have two backups...

Anyway... hope everyone has a nice rest of the week
2010-02-11 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Just did a little research and found out I can´t just put clinchers on the wheels.... mmm I guess I am stuck with tubulars... better get good at changing them :-(
2010-02-11 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Hi everyone! Starting to get off work at reasonable times now for a while so it's nice to catch up.

How many of you have a wet suit? I'm not a great swimmer so it was never a priority for me to buy one. I've read alot about how important these are especially for new swimmers so I broke the bank and bought one a few days ago from XTERRA (they were having a half price sale). It's a full body suit. I thought this would be best for me since i"m such a cold water whimp (the websight said the fulls were good over 50 degrees, the cut offs good over 75 degree water temps) I have not received it yet, and plan to test it out somewhere..pool I guess since I would get hypothermia right now in the lake (it's 15-20 degrees and snowing now). What type do you have and how often do you use it?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27