BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-01-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2589326

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

DWAYNE -

Did you see Lisa's comment about pre-run stretching, previous page? I'm glad that someone is more with-it than I am!

How go the Sir Isaacs? Ventured forth in them yet? And, did you ever track down the posts I made to Ivan in the other group? If not, let me know and I will post some stuff here!!

2010-01-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2588937

User image

Champion

MARK -

Good schedule! That'll get you in fightin' form!

When you do strength stuff, are you working both upper and lower body? Simce my meniscus tear in '06 I have kept mostly away from any leg stuff. I know there is some middle ground there -- but I'm afraid to tempt the fates!

There's a topic for a future rough poll -- what percent of strength training is upper body, lower body, and core. That poll'll maybe be for later (or maybe not at all?).

(I like the way that looks --- poll'll. Never before attempted a contraction that ends up with four "ells"!)

(And referring to someone who hates stoppages in play during fast-paced games: "The lull'll get to him every time.")

Never mind.

2010-01-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2589468

User image

Champion

MARK again -

Say "lull will" five times fast.

2010-01-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2589470

User image

Champion

MARK once more -

Never mind.

2010-01-02 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2589471

User image

Champion

ARTHUR -

I'm still thinking about your resistance question from a day or two ago. The only thing I'm prepared to say right now is that I learned early on to never try to swim after lifting. Even though my lifting is never the heavy stuff, and I don't do it for "bulking", what I do do seriously compromises my swimming if the swimming follows the lifting by less than about six hours.

However, since October I have begun lifting 2X a week within about 20 minutes of finishing a swim, and the lifting doesn't seem to be adversely affected. I'm not doing this to accomplish anything by specifically back-to-backing the two activities, it's just that the 50-meter pool option is available to me twice a week at the place where my preferred gym is located -- and that rec center is a minor nuisance to get to. So, I combine the two, but only with the swim happening first!

Still thinking, but remember -- my thought processes are as leisurely as the drifting of the continents!

2010-01-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Lisa & Steve - thanks for the info on the stretching I will try and see if it makes a difference.

Only 3 runs so far on the Sir Isaacs and so far so good no real noticeable soreness 

Edited by Dwayne 2010-01-02 3:09 PM

2010-01-02 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2589237

Master
Kitchener
Hepeoc - 2010-01-02 1:05 PM STEVE! And ANNE!I'd love to have a look at Anne's logs, but last time I checked they were not public, and as Anne has not added me as a friend (boo-hoo), I just get the annoying message: "You have to be a friend of this user to view their training log".Arthur

ARTHUR,

I am SO SORRY!!!!   I started adding people as the group was forming and obviously didn't finish the job.  Embarassed   You have been added as a friend if you'll still have me.   Smile   However, I must add your log detail looks pretty darned impressive.

Anne
2010-01-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2589263

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-01-02 1:22 PM
stevebradley - 2010-01-02 11:55 AM M - As much as I would like to bestow the Polar Bear Award on Denise, I can't in all conscience do so, seeing as how she didn't do a swim as well.

Oh! Oh!  I could still win that award.  I'm scheduled for a 5k in Bemidji in 2 weeks.  It's a festival and as part of the festivities, they also have a Polar Plunge.  They cut a hole in the lake ice, and for a fee, you get to jump in.  I haven't done the "plunge" before,  but if I did and I did a couple of strokes, I think that should count.

Anne - yes - please ket us see your logs

Denise

I can't believe I missed you too.  Dah!!!!   Yell   You have been added.   

Anne
2010-01-02 3:46 PM

STEVE!    Thank you for your initial reply on the resistance /swimming issue. Your sequence makes intuitive sense, as even lifting light weights requires a longer recovery time that swimming for most people.
I want to use the off season to strengthen my core (and maybe arms and legs a little too), but I suspect I don't get as much as I should out of the time I dedicate to the exercises. So trying to make sure I'm giving the muscles enough time to recover...   

A. 
2010-01-02 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2589477

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-01-02 3:50 PM ARTHUR - I'm still thinking about your resistance question from a day or two ago. The only thing I'm prepared to say right now is that I learned early on to never try to swim after lifting.  

I agree totally with Steve.    I am toast if I try to swim following upper body strength training.   However, I find it interesting that I swim phenomenally well the day after a yoga class.   Balance???  Whatever, it works.  

Anne
2010-01-02 3:51 PM

Anne!!!Thank you very much! Your log is indeed impressive! I wish there was a good yoga instructor / class around here, I find that's an amazing complement to any other sport, as long as the movements are right.Keep going, and make sure you keep listening to your body when it tells you not to push too hard!A.

2010-01-02 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2589541

User image

Champion

ARTHUR -

Was your initial question geared towards combining weight training with the swim and the bike and the run? I'm wondering, seeing as how in your most recent post you refer to giving your muscles enough time to recover.

I think you can benefit from as few as two or three 30-minute sessions a week. If you do lower body one day, upper body another day, and core a third day, then you've provided soem decent strength training from the neck down. And as for the neck up, the focus and discipline required to do each lift correctly and patiently will sufficiently address that region!

If you can only get to a weight-training destination 2X a week, then extend each visit by 10-15 minutes and include some core in each. Doing a rudimenatry strength program is not exactly science, and I think just about every little bit helps.

As for giving your muscles time to recover, you should separate lower body from running, and upper body from swimming, by at least 24 hours. Unless you are doing massive squats and then going for long hilly rides, I think you can get away with lower body and cycling close together. (If anybody disagrees with me about this last point, however, I will defer to their better judgement! )

Am I getting closer to what you were after in your initial question?

2010-01-02 6:27 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

I would like to run tomorrow.   What would you suggest?   Stick with the same distance?   Increase a bit?   RI's??  I know I will not try to do any speed work for 2-3 weeks.    The only other activity I would do tomorrow is another hour of x-country ski.   My energy level is good. 

Thanks. Smile

2010-01-02 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2589468

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-01-02 2:39 PM
When you do strength stuff, are you working both upper and lower body? Simce my meniscus tear in '06 I have kept mostly away from any leg stuff. I know there is some middle ground there -- but I'm afraid to tempt the fates!

There's a topic for a future rough poll -- what percent of strength training is upper body, lower body, and core. That poll'll maybe be for later (or maybe not at all?).

Steve
Thanks for the comment. For strength training I'm doing the following exercises: squats, bent-arm standing lat pulldowns, single leg press, dumbbell bench press, seated rows and hamstring curls.

Following up on my question-post regarding periodization, even though I addressed my question to Mike, I'd appreciate any thoughts you and/or any of the others have on this.

Lastly, regarding stretching, from what I read, the recommendation these days is to do 'dynamic stretching' (vs. static stretching) prior to exercising, the type of stretching Lisa described in her post. Static stretching (reach and hold type stretches) are recommended for after exercise.

Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year. Mark
2010-01-02 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2589470

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-01-02 2:40 PM

MARK again -

Say "lull will" five times fast.

lull will, lull will , lull will, lull will, lull will
2010-01-02 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2589773

User image

Champion

Re-education on the rollers!

Just did my first rollers session since last Feb. 28 -- and as usual after a long layoff, it was learning all over for the first ten minutes. Those ten were rife with swerves, sways, slips, and slides, but gradually it got controllable. At about 12 minutes in I braved a swipe in order to flip off my glasses. Maybe 18 minutes in I managed a gear shift, and with each passing minute I was able to spend more mega-seconds tending to an itch near my right eye. And for the final 10 minutes I could watch the hockey game on TV without having to worry about slithering into the "gutters" of the rollers.

Within another session or two I will be back to reaching around for a water bottle, switching channels on the remote, and, best of all, getting out on the aerobars. I really wanted to try the aerobars towards the end of tonight's ride, but decided to let discretion be the better part of valor and just stt perfectly upright!

Rollers are a hoot, and a real benefit to bike-handling skills. In another hour I will do a second ride, this time on the trainer, which, compared to the rollers, is a no-brainer. But at least I will be able to do more variety if I want, such as standing grinds and one-legged drills, among many others. Fun? Well, sort of......

2010-01-02 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2589789

User image

Champion

ANNE -

If you're feeling good, then feel free to extend the run some. Today was a pretty easy day for you, with the 60' ski and the 90' Bikram, so I'd say your running muscles should be ready to go. If I were in your shoes I'd plan on 15', go for 18' hopefully, and stop at 20' -- regardless!! And that's just me, being overly-cautious as I get older and (here's a good one......) wiser.

The other thing here is ---- I hardly know you!

But what I mean is that I'm not all that attuned to how your body is going to respond to all you do with it, and I'd much, much rather err on the side of being cautious, as opposed to recommending something and then finding out that you're hurtin' afterwards. Yes?

2010-01-02 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2589838

User image

Champion

MARK -

Good variety with the lifts! It's especially good to see you have the oppositional upper leg ones with the squats (quads) balanced by the hamstring curls. As for your standing lat pull-downs, I do mine straight-arm; I'll have to figure out the benefits for bent-arm ones.

Yup, I'll chime in within a day or two about periodization. Stay tuned!

And thanks to you, too, for your contributions on stretching. I too have read the stuff (or some small part of it) about dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching, but I'm waiting to see the counter-arguments. I cna see arguments on both sides, but as a non-participant I shouldn't venture a thought one way or the other!

2010-01-02 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2589839

User image

Champion

Mark again -

Your effort on "lull will" ------ smartypants!

2010-01-02 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2589861

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-01-02 8:10 PM Re-education on the rollers! Just did my first rollers session since last Feb. 28 -- and as usual after a long layoff, it was learning all over for the first ten minutes. Those ten were rife with swerves, sways, slips, and slides, but gradually it got controllable. At about 12 minutes in I braved a swipe in order to flip off my glasses. Maybe 18 minutes in I managed a gear shift, and with each passing minute I was able to spend more mega-seconds tending to an itch near my right eye. And for the final 10 minutes I could watch the hockey game on TV without having to worry about slithering into the "gutters" of the rollers. Within another session or two I will be back to reaching around for a water bottle, switching channels on the remote, and, best of all, getting out on the aerobars. I really wanted to try the aerobars towards the end of tonight's ride, but decided to let discretion be the better part of valor and just stt perfectly upright! Rollers are a hoot, and a real benefit to bike-handling skills. In another hour I will do a second ride, this time on the trainer, which, compared to the rollers, is a no-brainer. But at least I will be able to do more variety if I want, such as standing grinds and one-legged drills, among many others. Fun? Well, sort of......

Just curious - how many hours per week do you train in the 'off season' and what's the max you get up to?   Do you follow a plan?  Have a trainer?   Create your own plans?  

Anne
2010-01-02 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

Steve,
Oh poop!  I think you answered, in a previous post today, a question I was going to ask you in a couple of days.  The reason, I say "Oh poop" is because it's not the answer I wanted.

I just got an entry-level road bike last spring and my bike-handling skills are still practically non-existent.  If I just go straight and don't have to do anything, I'm ok.  The bike portion of the 2nd tri I did last August was 17 miles and I did not have any water the whole leg because I cannot manage the water bottle.  There were a few people I could have passed, but usually I didn't because turning my head to look for traffic is difficult.  You see what bad shape I'm in.  I'm proud to say that I did reach the point where I can scratch my nose quickly.

Anyway, instead of mindlessly watching movies on the trainer for 2-3 months, I have a feeling you're going to suggest rollers.  I don't exactly know what they are, but I'm going to google them right now (oops, not now - tomorrow)

So - thanks - I think
Denise

2010-01-02 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2585060

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
8 pages of posts later, I'm finally getting a reply in. I've been gone for 3 days for New Year's and now I'm swamped with updates. Anywhos...

latestarter - 2009-12-30 4:40 PM
Is this your first Olympic distance?   It will be nice to have someone else on the same journey.   

ANNE -

Yeah, it's my first Olympic distance. In fact, it's my first triathlon ever. My training technically started this past week, but I didn't get much of anything in these past few days, so I will definitely need to get back on track. When's your tri?

Kasia
2010-01-02 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2589978

User image

Champion

DENISE -

No, no, no ---- don't worry, I'm not goint to recommend rollers. A trainer is ideal for you for now, probably much better than rollers. Rollers are something for further down the road; I'll explain more later.

But rest easily for now -- and enjoy the trainer!!

2010-01-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2589089

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
LadyNorth - 2010-01-02 10:05 AM
lufferly - 2010-01-02 9:40 AM
LadyNorth - 2010-01-02 9:33 AM 8:13 AM -32.8 °F - good thing my 5k was yesterday - it's COLD this morning.
Denise

Denise, it was colder down here in Texas this morning then up that way.  30 degrees when I set out for my run this morning ... and it felt great!

I think you missed the minus sign in front of my temp - it was minus 32.8 here
Denise

Ha, I figured that out. That's just so insanely cold it escaped me. I just can't imagine!!
2010-01-02 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2589978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
LadyNorth - 2010-01-02 8:12 PM Hi,

If I just go straight and don't have to do anything, I'm ok.  The bike portion of the 2nd tri I did last August was 17 miles and I did not have any water the whole leg because I cannot manage the water bottle.  There were a few people I could have passed, but usually I didn't because turning my head to look for traffic is difficult.  You see what bad shape I'm in.  I'm proud to say that I did reach the point where I can scratch my nose quickly.

Denise

That sounds like me ... I can get awful thirsty on the bike.  I had a bad bike accident in '07 (landed on my head and shoulder, cracking my helmet and knocking me unconscious) and am still very tentative on the bike.  I actually had a panic attack (heart rate to 200) on a hilly ride with my husband summer before last.  I'm hoping to work on that this spring.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276