BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-19 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!
CONGRATULATIONS, LOVEY! What a great time- way to smash that old time!!! We are all so very proud of you.

I have a nice, slow spin scheduled today. I had a lesson in dehydration yesterday- I must have not had much water Saturday; sunday was crazy busy; I was drinking on my run, but I obviously went into the run not at peak hydration. Take into account the nursing baby (I always forget that) and when I got home I was fine, fifteen minutes later I was NOT. Ick. Today is a big recovery day for me and I will not let that happen again!

So I'm at 50 miles for the bike and man am I panicked. Anyone else having troubles meeting the bike challenge this month? I'm very run focused with my race on May 2 closing fast. I just can not put in the extra bike time. Next month would not be a problem; but this month is rough!!!! I guess all I can do is get as close as possible.

Hope everyone has a good training week!!!!

2010-04-19 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Great job Lovey!  That's awesome. 
2010-04-19 9:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2800765

Arcata, CA
Congratulations LOVEY, you did fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually found a moment in time to get in the pool and put in a short swim yesterday!!!!  I was so proud of myself.  With my tri less than a week away I am starting to get really nervous.  I was wondering if any of you had any advice as far as transitions go.  How do you suggest that I set up my area?  Is it better to set up closer to where I will start the bike or closer to where I will get back in and start the run?  somewhere in the middle???  How do you guys practice your transitions?

Hoping to go on a quick bike ride today, if it doesn't rain.  If so, I need to get going   Thanks in advance for your help.
2010-04-20 4:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I'm not sure how your race is set up, but most races you do not have a choice for your transition spot. You either get assigned and EXACT SPOT, or you get assigned to a rack. Normally space is very limited, so you rack your bike, then set a towel or transition mat immediately next to your bike and slightly under the rack; then you lay out your stuff and that is all the space you get. And not a beach towel- most transition mats are the size of a normal bath towel.

If this is an outside tri, take a couple of plastic grocery bags with you so if it looks like rain, before you start the race you can put your running shoes and socks, and anything else you lay out on your mat that you do notw ant toget wet- into the bags for safety. COMES IN VERY HANDY because nothing sucks like being whoop tired from the swim and realing your socks and shoes are soaked.

Fit in a bike, hoping to fit in a run either late tonight or early tomorrow morning- the morning is the most likely - intervals. How is everyone else doing?
2010-04-21 8:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
So, Sharyn, is it just me and you on the cycling goal???

I'm almost at 60. Man I have a lot to try and do, but I'm hoping if I try and do a tiny bit each day I will get in the 100.

This morning we are off to the Y and hoping everyone cooperates so I can run and swim. Crossing my fingers....

Then maybe a quick bike (20 minutes?) later on today to work on that mileage goal.

2010-04-21 8:52 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am still aiming for a quarter or half century. Dont give up on me yet.
Its been hectic in my house and my training is suffering in all areas. I am going to be cycling this afternoon so I will get a f miles in. Not much, but some.

I was actually worried about the 10K race too because I hadnt run all week and finally got 2 miles in the day before the race. I think the rest was good but if I go another week, my body might regress.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-21 8:54 AM
2010-04-21 4:11 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Pain in my butt, literally.

Mine is on the bottom of my butt (right cheek), especially when sitting, and while waliking around at home or work I get pain that radiates from my butt into the upper back part of my leg where my butt and thigh connects. The pain doesn't go all the way down the back of my leg just radiates in that one area, and I have no back pain. When it happens as it did several times today when I was walking in my office, I would stop for a few seconds to let the pain pass. When I am sitting, the area just feels sore.

I looked online and it seems like its piriformis syndrome/pain.
Anyone experience this before?

Lovey
2010-04-22 7:58 PM

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Hey ya'll!  It's been a while, so I thought I'd 'check-in'....

I had a bit of a set back with some depression over the last two weeks, but things are looking up now.  I think it was partially related to the fact that over Easter break, I got out of my work out routine since the kids were off school.. It was only a week, but I felt it.

Now, thanks to good friends and a faithful, loving God and amazing husband, I'm on the way back to normal, if there is such a thing... 

I got on the bike for the first time this year just this afternoon.  It was like coming home after a long vacation!... you know that feeling when you just open the door and feel a huge relief to be back where you belong?  Well, that's what it felt like getting on the bike!  Ah.... now if I could only find a reliable partner to ride with.  I really don't like going out on the roads alone.....

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with reading the log and all, so I hope you are all doing okay.  I glanced briefly and noticed that Lovey is doing amazing things (as usual!)

I'll try to be better about checking in a couple times a week.. but you know, sometimes it's hard just to log in the workouts!

TTYL
Joyce

2010-04-22 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2808336

Expert
Troy, MI

Lovey - 2010-04-21 5:11 PM Pain in my butt, literally. Mine is on the bottom of my butt (right cheek), especially when sitting, and while waliking around at home or work I get pain that radiates from my butt into the upper back part of my leg where my butt and thigh connects. The pain doesn't go all the way down the back of my leg just radiates in that one area, and I have no back pain. When it happens as it did several times today when I was walking in my office, I would stop for a few seconds to let the pain pass. When I am sitting, the area just feels sore. I looked online and it seems like its piriformis syndrome/pain. Anyone experience this before? Lovey

Lovey, I don't have any experience with piriformis but my neighbor does.  She is on here as TrishM.  You should pm her and ask her what kind of stretches she did.  She got a whole routine from a sports med doctor.  She is out of town until Sunday night but I'm sure she will answer on Monday.  Whatever she did worked for her.  Good luck with it.  Let us know how its going.  And GREAT JOB on the 10K!!!!!

2010-04-22 11:06 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I had a PT appt today for my knee issue I had a few weeks ago. I followed my ortho recommendations including taking glusoamine plus MSM and she told me to see a PT. The PT stretched me and gave me exercises o do. No more pain in my knee as long I keep taking my supplements and doing my strectches.

Today was suppose to be my last PT visit but I told her about my pain in the butt. Since no knee pain she worked on my butt instead. She did a deep massage (a little painful), heat and disc therapy on the area. She gave me stretches but the pigeon pose was top of the list.

She showed me the pigoen pose and modified versions I can do sitting down and standing up. Even at my ork desk, I can stretch it throughut the day.

So far, I can sit without the burning pain.

Lovey

2010-04-23 8:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Lovey- so happy you are staying on top of the injures and getting help with the PT. Good choices! So often as athletes we diagnose ourselves- I live with the #1 offender, my husband. Getting professional help is a very good thing!

My husband told me my bike heads into the shop next week for the tune up- so, um, I am guessing I will not make my cycling goal of 100 miles unless I get some time on the spin bikes at the Y. We'll see.

I'm down to my last two long runs before my race next weekend. Today is 6miles, I am hoping the children cooperate in childcare and the childcare workers let me run on the outdoor track- I need to work on pace and NOT on a treadmill. Sunday is an 8 mile run and that is likely going to be in the rain.

SO....one week out from racing, what is everyone doing? HYDRATING. Right? Start now. Make sure you are drinking enough every single day during race week.
2010-04-23 12:09 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I completed my Indoor Triathlon at work today. With only 2 runs in the last 2 weeks and no other workouts, my body wasn't prepared. I need to find a way to get back into my workouts.

The indoor triathlon was a 2500 meter row, 2 mile seated bike ride, and a 1 mile walk . I completed it in a total time of 36:28.

The details of each discipline is in my training log.

Lovey
2010-04-24 9:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Congrats on that interesting tri, Lovey.

Glass City Marathon here this weekend- supposed to rain, I'm hoping it is just a tiny sprinkle or drizzle for all my friends that are running the Half. Mike is volunteering; I'm staying home with the kids.

BIKE CHALLENGE- I'm just barely over 80 so this week I have to get in two days cycling. My bike leaves Monday evening, so I get my last ride then at home, and then I will have to get the rest of my miles in on the bike at the Y on Wednesday before my swim. Here's hoping I get there!!!! Sharyn I think is going to make Century; Lovey is working towards her goal, too?

NO CHALLENGE for May. Since most of you are busy training for races, and technically our 4 month mentor group is over, we'll just keep the forum going for questions and support.

Enkidu has a tri this weekend- hope it goes well!
2010-04-25 5:33 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I did a little over 3 miles today. This was the first time I have ridden outside since Thanksgiving. I rode arounsd the campus loop while my kids were in swim lessons/practice.
Damn!! College campus loop felt hilly. Then I decided to turn down in the neighborhood and instantly regretted it. As soon as I turned down the street, it was a fast downhill like going into a valley and all I could think of what I am going to do to get back up it. That was a slow and tiring ordeal. After 3 miles of hills, I was tired.

My butt (piriformis muscle) didn't hurt while riding but it felt sore afterwards. I am stretching it and massaging it the rest of the day.

It still felt good to get out there though. Plus I had a good 8 mile run yesterday even though I felt tired for the first 2 or 3 miles.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-25 5:43 PM
2010-04-25 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2806591

2010-04-26 6:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Happy Monday Everyone!

It's race weekend!!!! Who all is racing this weekend? I thought at the beginning of this mentor group many of us were training for an event May 1 or May 2. Lovey, is this weekend your Half Marathon?

Light week for me- all nice and easy. Bike today, 3mile run Tues, Bike and swim Wednesady, 3 mile run Thursday, and then OFF for two days before my race!

Yesterday was supposed to be my 8 mile run, we had horrible storms. I headed out in what was supposed to be a 2 hour break in the storms.....half an hour into my run the drizzle stared; by 45 minutes it was POURING and there was thunder. I was at the point in my run where I head into the woods on some trails, so instead I stopped and called Mike to ask him if the rain was going to let up anytime soon- turns out he was putting kids in the car and already on his way to come find me! So I ran out of the park and met him down the road. Was only a 5 mile run. Oh well. Mike says I am more than ready- my leg of the marathon relay on Sunday is about 6.8 miles long.
2010-04-26 10:56 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
This Sunday is my half marathon so I am definitely not missing any runs this week. I won’t bike after Wednesday so my legs can be rested.

My group coach wants us to do the following;
Tue- 3 miles @ 6pm group run
Wed – 2 miles
Thur – 3 miles @ 6pm group run
Sat – 2 miles @ 7am group run to keep the muscles loose and rest the rest of the day
Sun – RACE DAY

After the first two weeks of training, I dropped the Wednesday 2 mile run and cross-trained instead. She says it was the one run we could drop if we needed to or we can cross train but nothing all out.

Lovey
2010-04-26 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2816887

2010-04-26 2:49 PM

Veteran
Central Ohio
Good luck Lovey and Anne.  I know you'll both do great. 
2010-04-26 3:27 PM

Arcata, CA
My race report is up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had soo much fun. 

2010-04-26 9:29 PM

Expert
Congrats Enkidu!! So glad to hear you had fun!! Yeah!!!

Good luck Anne and Lovey this weekend. I'll be doing the half marathon on Sunday too. It will be a lot of jogging mixed with quite a bit of walking and if it is pouring down rain, I'll probably skip it entirely. Boy, don't I sound enthused?

2010-04-27 6:33 AM

Expert
Troy, MI

My son is graduating from college on Saturday on the other side of the state and my daughter has senior prom the same day.  I am picking my other daughter up from college to help the prom princess get ready while I am driving to and from the graduation, hopefully making it back in time for pictures.

My running group is all doing the Flying Pig.  I am so jealous.  Anne, you will do great and have a blast.  Anyway, because I will be the lone runner here in Michigan this weekend on Sunday (even the tri people will be doing a bike tour for training), I have planned to do a virtual Piggy half marathon.  I plotted it out at our metro park and included the biggest hills I could find.  I will start at 6:30 a.m, pig start time.  13.1 baby!  My running group will bring me back a pig tech shirt so I feel like I was at a real race and there with them.  Just no bling for me.    I will do the pig next year and get that sweet medal.  Squeeeaaal, I'm so excited for you Anne! 

Good luck to everyone this weekend whether you are racing or training, or pretending you are racing!!!!!

2010-04-27 8:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
JO! Aw, man, I wish you were going to be there. It is such a cool race but your hills will be SO Much better than the mountain we go up @ mile 6!

I go halfway up this, um, GINORMOUS HILL. My brother meets me halfway up and then he starts his leg halfway up the hill. Good times.

The coolest part of the Pig is the finish- up and over the bridge and back- so cool!!! I am not sure what the HM course is or how they finish- have to check the map.

Mike swears he is doing that race next year. I said Oh, well, maybe I would do it is a half marathon. NUTS, I tell you!!!!

I rode too hard yesterday and my legs are sore- need to take it easy! SLOW 3 mile run today, have to make myself take it easy and keep my legs loose. Taking the children to grocery shop DURING naptime just so i can get my run in this morning- sounds like a bad decision already!

So there are at least 3 of us racing this weekend! and 1 virtual racer! SO COOL!

2010-04-28 12:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
APRIL BIKE CHALLENGE-

just a few days left if you are participating! Post your mileage here and if you met your initial goal, or if you changed your goal.

Sharyn is past 100 miles- I passed 100 today. Congrats Sharyn on your Century Club total for this month!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29