BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-06-06 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
Attempted swim training today, but felt lousy. Kind of dizzy with the turns (maybe too much beer at a graduation party yesterday!). Did a brick with a run since I was trying my new Nike Free Running shoes. My old shoes are Nike Free Everyday trainers (7.0). I figured I would go easy to break into them. Well, it turns out these babies are so soft there is no break in. Went tempo pretty much from get go, and felt great (no dizziness). Feet felt awesome, truly close to barefoot. I have never tried the VFFs, but man, these shoes are fantastic!!!. 

2010-06-06 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2903436

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-06 1:07 PM

cspreiter - 2010-06-06 4:26 PM
I think I'll try it. It seems easier to me. I have trouble getting the pedal in the right direction and then the spd in and secure without weaving all over and losing my stride. I think I would do better with the idea of getting to the mount line and just pedaling. I may not use rubberbands though.

Ok then, race tomorrow. A 5K but it will be fun. The run is in memory of a kid in our area that passed of asthma compilcations. I have two asthmatic daughters that are active. One will run with me tomorrow. Check out Shanesway.org and everyone have a great weekend.

I rubber-banded my shoes for my first tri and it worked real well for me.  I also took my feet out before I dismounted too.  There was quite a distance from the transition area to the mount line so I was glad I wasn't running in my cycling shoes.  I didn't do the running mount.  I just got to the mount line and mounted like normal.  Like Jenny mentioned, the key is to practice and to get your speed up before you try to get your feet in or out.  If your speed isn't high, that's when you start weaving all over the place.  I practiced the night before on my indoor trainer.  I also watched all the videos on BT.  I'm definitely doing it again for my next tri.
I saw a recent video on Chrissy Wellington and she mounts at the mount line slipping her foot in the shoes but the shoes are definitely in the upright correct position for that. She didn't place her foot on the shoe she got it inside right away, but the shoe was loose. The shoe was very open and visibly loose when she first started riding. So....my plan is set the bike up where the shoe is in the up right position using smaller rubber bands and open the shoe up so that when I mount I will be able to easily slip my foot in and move up to speed quickly. Then later tighten the velcro and make position adjustments.

Question for you people: I am starting to feel some of the "play" in the pedal. Recently i  was doing hill work and the back edge of the shoe slipped out of the SPD clip. Is it wise to tighten up the play? And how the heck do you do it? I have never tightend pedals before.

Jeff -

How old are your cleats? Is the play you notice in your pedals something new? My first guess would be that your cleats might need to be replaced, especially if you've been riding on them for a while. Do you have the regular SPD cleats (the metal ones) or SPD-L cleats (triangular plastic ones). The metal SPD cleats last longer, but they definitely do need to be replaced after time. If the play is something new, I would try a new pair of cleats first and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you can adjust the tension on most pedals. What kind of pedals do you have?
2010-06-06 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2903841

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-06-07 3:46 PM
StrayDog - 2010-06-06 1:07 PM
cspreiter - 2010-06-06 4:26 PM
I think I'll try it. It seems easier to me. I have trouble getting the pedal in the right direction and then the spd in and secure without weaving all over and losing my stride. I think I would do better with the idea of getting to the mount line and just pedaling. I may not use rubberbands though.

Ok then, race tomorrow. A 5K but it will be fun. The run is in memory of a kid in our area that passed of asthma compilcations. I have two asthmatic daughters that are active. One will run with me tomorrow. Check out Shanesway.org and everyone have a great weekend.

I rubber-banded my shoes for my first tri and it worked real well for me.  I also took my feet out before I dismounted too.  There was quite a distance from the transition area to the mount line so I was glad I wasn't running in my cycling shoes.  I didn't do the running mount.  I just got to the mount line and mounted like normal.  Like Jenny mentioned, the key is to practice and to get your speed up before you try to get your feet in or out.  If your speed isn't high, that's when you start weaving all over the place.  I practiced the night before on my indoor trainer.  I also watched all the videos on BT.  I'm definitely doing it again for my next tri.
I saw a recent video on Chrissy Wellington and she mounts at the mount line slipping her foot in the shoes but the shoes are definitely in the upright correct position for that. She didn't place her foot on the shoe she got it inside right away, but the shoe was loose. The shoe was very open and visibly loose when she first started riding. So....my plan is set the bike up where the shoe is in the up right position using smaller rubber bands and open the shoe up so that when I mount I will be able to easily slip my foot in and move up to speed quickly. Then later tighten the velcro and make position adjustments.

Question for you people: I am starting to feel some of the "play" in the pedal. Recently i  was doing hill work and the back edge of the shoe slipped out of the SPD clip. Is it wise to tighten up the play? And how the heck do you do it? I have never tightend pedals before.
Jeff - How old are your cleats? Is the play you notice in your pedals something new? My first guess would be that your cleats might need to be replaced, especially if you've been riding on them for a while. Do you have the regular SPD cleats (the metal ones) or SPD-L cleats (triangular plastic ones). The metal SPD cleats last longer, but they definitely do need to be replaced after time. If the play is something new, I would try a new pair of cleats first and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you can adjust the tension on most pedals. What kind of pedals do you have?

Jenny: The cleats are fairly new and the pedals too. I didn't abuse them like walking on concrete and stuff. The spd cleat is metal. I just have this wiggle thingy going on. You know when you are kickin it on a hill and the bike is wavering back and forth plus your butt is going the oposite direction of the bike but in a sideways motion over the seat and you sound like you breathing through a ball of cat hair....thats when it comes out. I think I wiggle my heel too much when clipped in. When I ride on a flat it's all good. It's just the hills that are a bit worrisome.
2010-06-07 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2904141

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Aaah - well, in that case, it does sound like you might want to increase the release tension on your pedals. Like Fernando said, it's usually an adjustment made with an allen wrench somewhere on the front, back, or top of the pedal. If you have a trainer, you might want to set the bike up on it and play with adjusting the tension and trying to clip out to make sure you don't get it too tight. Nothing worse than coming to a stop and not being able to clip out of your pedals (not that I've ever tipped over on the road at a traffic light in front of a group of other riders and drivers and would know anything about that kind of embarrassment, or anything )

By the way, congrats on a smokin' fast run last weekend! I was THRILLED when I finally broke the 25:00 barrier for a 5K last fall -- I'm not sure I ever see myself running in the low 7:xx/mile for any distance! Nice work!
2010-06-07 12:56 PM

Veteran
Fernando-
How did your calves feel after your run in the new Nike's?  Any issues?
2010-06-07 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2902737

User image

StrayDog - 2010-06-05 5:30 PM Look Mama I'm goin' fast... I pulled a 7:17 mi. by my watch (unofficial) and a 7:09 (unofficial) by the race clock. So I was just dying in the heat of this race though and to top it off my son (14) beats me. Where do these people get the energy? These young kids have so much reserve it's incredible.

Jeff-You are FAST! and your son is FASTER! I consider it a feat if I run a mile in 11 minutes! 

2010-06-07 7:15 PM

User image

OK so tonight I got my first taste of what the swim part of the tri will be like. Circle swimming at my gym. During the recovery part of my stroke my hand hits the guy in the other lane. I'm pretty sure it hit his tooth as he was breathing! My hand starts bleeding in the pool and hurts so much I can't continue my workout. It hit the part of my hand between the thumb and index finger. I can't even make a fist. What the heck!

On a brighter note, finally got my Mini Cooper last weekend. Red convertible. Adorable and so much fun to drive a manual again! Between the tri and the car I must be in midlife crisis mode! I am still trying to figure out how to get my bike in it!  
2010-06-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2905645

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-06-07 1:56 PM Fernando-
How did your calves feel after your run in the new Nike's?  Any issues?

No issues at all. Even though different than the Free 7.0 (closer to barefoot), have had enough stride modification that I didn't even notice the new shoes. 
2010-06-07 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2906789

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Keiren - 2010-06-07 8:15 PM OK so tonight I got my first taste of what the swim part of the tri will be like. Circle swimming at my gym. During the recovery part of my stroke my hand hits the guy in the other lane. I'm pretty sure it hit his tooth as he was breathing! My hand starts bleeding in the pool and hurts so much I can't continue my workout. It hit the part of my hand between the thumb and index finger. I can't even make a fist. What the heck!

On a brighter note, finally got my Mini Cooper last weekend. Red convertible. Adorable and so much fun to drive a manual again! Between the tri and the car I must be in midlife crisis mode! I am still trying to figure out how to get my bike in it!  

Sounds like a good hit! Is the other guy still alive?
Hope you recover soon. 
2010-06-08 1:21 AM
in reply to: #2906789

User image

Veteran
Keiren - 2010-06-08 5:15 PM OK so tonight I got my first taste of what the swim part of the tri will be like. Circle swimming at my gym. During the recovery part of my stroke my hand hits the guy in the other lane. I'm pretty sure it hit his tooth as he was breathing! My hand starts bleeding in the pool and hurts so much I can't continue my workout. It hit the part of my hand between the thumb and index finger. I can't even make a fist. What the heck!

OMG. Keiren what story. I am so sorry that happened to you. Hey, they are acceidents right.. If they were planned, you could avoid them. Oh well, life in the way again. Take care of your hand and you will be back in the pool in no time.  
2010-06-08 1:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Fernando/ Jenny: Thanks for the tips on the adjustment to the pedal. I know what both of you mean about falling. I am trying to avoid just that. As a projected thought, why do I feel like if I mess with the pedal adustment I will fall while a bunch of people are watching. It seems like a right of passage or something. Jeez I can wait for the embarassment, I always turn bright red.

2010-06-09 5:50 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
The weather has been SO NICE the past few days! Beautiful sunny skies, not too hot, low humidity - I love it! I had a great run yesterday. Went for an early morning run with my hubby this morning, though, and was feeling very sluggish... maybe it was just too early... I feel like my mileage build-up for marathon training is going pretty well. I'm on target to get 30 miles of running in this week, and hoping to be built up to 40 miles per week by early July. Biking and swimming are just kind of getting squeezed in where they can.

How's everyone else doing?
2010-06-09 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Finally, after a week of almost no workouts, I got back in the groove on Saturday.

With a sore calf and Achilles tendon I was limping mid week last week. With rest, self massage and ice, it went away. Plus with kids sports, school concerts and other activities, I had no time last week but to sleep.

Saturday, I missed my group run at 7am and so went and did a 5K race instead about 10 minutes away. I took it easing not wanting to stress my leg. Finished in 40 minutes. A year ago, race pace would have me at the finish line in 43 minutes or so. Taking it easy and finishing in 40 mins is good.

Sunday, I about died on the hills of my triathlon (Iron Girl in august) bike course and I only did 13.5 of the 17.5 mile course.

Finally back in the pool yesterday. I only had 30 minutes to spare so I got in 600 yards (slow swimmer) but it was better than nothing.

Today, I hope to get a run in on the Iron Girl (3.5 mile) or the Columbia Triathlon (10K) run course.

Lovey
2010-06-09 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2910691

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Lovey - 2010-06-09 11:02 AM Finally, after a week of almost no workouts, I got back in the groove on Saturday. With a sore calf and Achilles tendon I was limping mid week last week. With rest, self massage and ice, it went away. Plus with kids sports, school concerts and other activities, I had no time last week but to sleep. Saturday, I missed my group run at 7am and so went and did a 5K race instead about 10 minutes away. I took it easing not wanting to stress my leg. Finished in 40 minutes. A year ago, race pace would have me at the finish line in 43 minutes or so. Taking it easy and finishing in 40 mins is good. Sunday, I about died on the hills of my triathlon (Iron Girl in august) bike course and I only did 13.5 of the 17.5 mile course. Finally back in the pool yesterday. I only had 30 minutes to spare so I got in 600 yards (slow swimmer) but it was better than nothing. Today, I hope to get a run in on the Iron Girl (3.5 mile) or the Columbia Triathlon (10K) run course. Lovey

Good thing you are back on the saddle!
I'm hoping we can meet in a few days, the DC tri is just around the corner.
It was rainy here today, so I did a bike/run brick @ the gym. Chose a hilly course on bike and pushed hard, just to test the legs later on treadmill. Didn't feel as bad as Mt Gretna, so I think we are achieving some progress.   
2010-06-09 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2910078

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-06-09 6:50 AM The weather has been SO NICE the past few days! Beautiful sunny skies, not too hot, low humidity - I love it! I had a great run yesterday. Went for an early morning run with my hubby this morning, though, and was feeling very sluggish... maybe it was just too early... I feel like my mileage build-up for marathon training is going pretty well. I'm on target to get 30 miles of running in this week, and hoping to be built up to 40 miles per week by early July. Biking and swimming are just kind of getting squeezed in where they can. How's everyone else doing?

I'm doing a half Mary with my wife 5-6 weeks after an Oly in early fall. Do you think that is enough time to get ready? 
2010-06-09 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2910691

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-06-09 11:02 AM

Finally, after a week of almost no workouts, I got back in the groove on Saturday.

With a sore calf and Achilles tendon I was limping mid week last week. With rest, self massage and ice, it went away. Plus with kids sports, school concerts and other activities, I had no time last week but to sleep.

Saturday, I missed my group run at 7am and so went and did a 5K race instead about 10 minutes away. I took it easing not wanting to stress my leg. Finished in 40 minutes. A year ago, race pace would have me at the finish line in 43 minutes or so. Taking it easy and finishing in 40 mins is good.

Sunday, I about died on the hills of my triathlon (Iron Girl in august) bike course and I only did 13.5 of the 17.5 mile course.

Finally back in the pool yesterday. I only had 30 minutes to spare so I got in 600 yards (slow swimmer) but it was better than nothing.

Today, I hope to get a run in on the Iron Girl (3.5 mile) or the Columbia Triathlon (10K) run course.

Lovey

Way to go, Lovey! This time of year is so hectic with kids! I know for me it will calm down in a few weeks.... hopefully the same is true for you. Nice job on your 5K! Isn't it cool when what used to be a hard pace becomes an easy pace? It shows all your hard work is paying off! Keep up the good work!

2010-06-09 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2911711

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-06-09 4:35 PM

jsnowash - 2010-06-09 6:50 AM The weather has been SO NICE the past few days! Beautiful sunny skies, not too hot, low humidity - I love it! I had a great run yesterday. Went for an early morning run with my hubby this morning, though, and was feeling very sluggish... maybe it was just too early... I feel like my mileage build-up for marathon training is going pretty well. I'm on target to get 30 miles of running in this week, and hoping to be built up to 40 miles per week by early July. Biking and swimming are just kind of getting squeezed in where they can. How's everyone else doing?

I'm doing a half Mary with my wife 5-6 weeks after an Oly in early fall. Do you think that is enough time to get ready? 

Fernando - you might want to take a look at a few Half-Mary training plans. My guess is that you will probably want to be doing a bit higher volume running than is strictly called for in your Olympic training plan. You could strip out the running from the Oly plan you're following, and substitute the run schedule for a half-mary plan that looks like it would work for you. Make sure to build a few weeks into the half mary schedule to allow you to taper and recover from your Oly. Is that Steelman?? If so, I'll probably see you there!
2010-06-10 12:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Day off. Yea Us! We have achieved another kid through High School graduation today. All the family in attendance and cheesecake too. On to the University next year....Again, yea US!
2010-06-11 4:58 AM
in reply to: #2912541

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-10 1:36 AM

Day off. Yea Us! We have achieved another kid through High School graduation today. All the family in attendance and cheesecake too. On to the University next year....Again, yea US!

Woo-hoo! Congragulations!! I think... I guess maybe that means another college tuition to pay for?? We have a "graduation" next week too - my middle daughter will be graduating from elementary school and getting ready to make the big leap into middle school. Five years to go for us before the high school graduations begin.

Anybody racing this weekend? I know Keely (Kiwi) has Eagleman Half Ironman coming up this weekend! Stop by her logs and wish her luck!

Long run on tap for me today.... What's on tap for everyone else?
2010-06-11 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2914976

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Yesterday, I swam 800 yards non stop in about 35 minutes (slow swimmer here). After my son's simulated congressional hearings at school, I went and pick up my wet suit. Talk about feeling like you are in a straight jacket. I tried it on and was shown how to do that and tkae it off, where to pull and not pull. Then I had to rush back for more simulated congressional hearings and closing ceremony.

TODAY, I tried out my wetsuit at the beach. We swam for about 45 minutes which included stopping for tips and talk for about 10 minutes. We covered about half of a mile. The wetsuit kept me warm but comfortable. If I wasn't kicking hard enough, my legs tried to float on its own too.
My mentor was very patient as well another club member who swam with us. Both gave me great tips. My mentor stayed with me and had me practice sighting because I kept veering off course.
I treaded, floated or breaststroke when I felt my heart racing.

After the swim, I practiced getting it off as I got out of the water and peeling out of it once I was out. I wore my 2 piece tri suit plus sports bra underneath, exactly what I will be wearing race day.

It was a great workout but why do I want to do this again?

Swimming tomorrow again and a brick planned for Sunday (13.5 ride/10K run).

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-06-11 2:48 PM
2010-06-12 7:51 AM

Good Morning All;
I finally got a wetsuit and was finally able to get into open water.  I had two issues while swimming, one is that I started to feel really nausea, not sure what to make of this. Second is that my leg seem to have a mind of there own. They seem to go apart. I have only swam in a pool without the wetsuit and they seemed to be in the correct position according to my swim coach. Any suggestion with either of these?

2010-06-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2917234

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
dojorun01 - 2010-06-12 8:51 AM Good Morning All;
I finally got a wetsuit and was finally able to get into open water.  I had two issues while swimming, one is that I started to feel really nausea, not sure what to make of this. Second is that my leg seem to have a mind of there own. They seem to go apart. I have only swam in a pool without the wetsuit and they seemed to be in the correct position according to my swim coach. Any suggestion with either of these?

Leg buoyancy with a wetsuit on is a different feeling. With the TI swim system legs are just for stroke balancing anyways, not for thrust. I agree it's good to save legs for bike/run.
2010-06-13 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
did a mini brick with my 9 year old today. Temp/humidity was worse than Broad Street run. OMG, when running without shade, or breeze, it felt like running in hell!My kid only survived 1 mile running. Did the rest on my own.
2010-06-14 12:56 AM
in reply to: #2918499

User image

Veteran
guticur - 2010-06-14 11:00 AM did a mini brick with my 9 year old today. Temp/humidity was worse than Broad Street run. OMG, when running without shade, or breeze, it felt like running in hell!My kid only survived 1 mile running. Did the rest on my own.

Fernando I totally get it. It seems like the worlds axis has changed. I did my run in relatively hot 1000am heat. Then decided to get my bike in along the same route. It was hotter...I had to stop at the top of the ride and lay down on the gravel till it went away. We aren't meant to handle such drastic weather changes. My water bottle had been out in the heat and I had left the old water in it and it tasted like plastic. I know that can't be good. Does everyone here use plastic water bottles or pvc free or another material?
2010-06-14 5:57 AM
in reply to: #2916402

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-06-11 3:46 PM

Yesterday, I swam 800 yards non stop in about 35 minutes (slow swimmer here). After my son's simulated congressional hearings at school, I went and pick up my wet suit. Talk about feeling like you are in a straight jacket. I tried it on and was shown how to do that and tkae it off, where to pull and not pull. Then I had to rush back for more simulated congressional hearings and closing ceremony.

TODAY, I tried out my wetsuit at the beach. We swam for about 45 minutes which included stopping for tips and talk for about 10 minutes. We covered about half of a mile. The wetsuit kept me warm but comfortable. If I wasn't kicking hard enough, my legs tried to float on its own too.
My mentor was very patient as well another club member who swam with us. Both gave me great tips. My mentor stayed with me and had me practice sighting because I kept veering off course.
I treaded, floated or breaststroke when I felt my heart racing.

After the swim, I practiced getting it off as I got out of the water and peeling out of it once I was out. I wore my 2 piece tri suit plus sports bra underneath, exactly what I will be wearing race day.

It was a great workout but why do I want to do this again?

Swimming tomorrow again and a brick planned for Sunday (13.5 ride/10K run).

Lovey

Nice job on the open water swim, Lovey! That's great that you had a mentor to go out and swim with you! How did you like the feeling of the wetsuit?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32