BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-08-25 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3063991

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
DannyK - 2010-08-25 5:42 PM Anthony:  Great pic!  I'd be enlarging that dude, framing it, and hanging it in the foyer entrance to the house =).

Hang it in the foyer? Why? To scare away my in-laws?

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-08-25 5:50 PM

2010-08-26 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3064075

User image

Expert
I finally got a chance to read through everyone's logs today. Sorry for the delay, but I have had a busy and somewhat aggravating week. The plumbing emergency over the weekend was in my office, but it also caused some damage to several units in the 2 floors below me. So now it's been a whole big mess regarding who is responsible for what, and whose insurance the claims go to first. So, I have had to deal with some nonsense while still trying to make a living.

Luckily, training makes for excellent stress relief!

Anthony
2010-08-27 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3066199

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-08-26 6:29 PM Luckily, training makes for excellent stress relief!

Anthony

Sorry to hear about that mess Anthony.  How true on the stress relief.  I can just feel the stress melting into the pavement on my long runs lately.
2010-08-29 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3057099

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-08-22 9:48 AM The Timberman race was awesome.  I used someone's advice and had three goals - happy, stretch, and "if the stars align".  My stars align goal was 1:24, and I hit 1:22:58!  Gotta be happy, even it was partially due to the run being a little short (though the bike was long!).  After the swim and bike I was 10/82 in my age group, and I finished 23/82.  Running is still my downfall! 

My splits with times were: 8:30, 1:26/100, 46:05, 19.5 mph, 22:31, 7:30.  I'm amazed at the swim time since I had my goggles kicked totally off my head and I had to stop and find them about 75 yards into the swim.  It took me almost the whole rest of the swim to get back into a normal stroke again, though I drafted a fast guy and I think that was key.

I'll work on a race report for later.  Thanks for all the encouragement.

Paula, definitely rest that injury.  Stress fractures are nasty.  I had a good friend not take care of one several years ago and he's still not right.

Warren, Great Job on your race! That is a fantastic swim time, and I would kill to have your run times as well.  My weakness is also running but my times are reeaallly slow. 
2010-08-29 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3066868

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-08-27 9:09 AM
amschrod - 2010-08-26 6:29 PM Luckily, training makes for excellent stress relief!

Anthony

Sorry to hear about that mess Anthony.  How true on the stress relief.  I can just feel the stress melting into the pavement on my long runs lately.

Anthony sorry to hear about your office.  You are correct however about training to relieve the stress.  This past week at work has been CRAZY. Long hours and just no time to train.  Sat. morning was the first time I was able to get in some training or stress relief.  I admit it was AWESOME to get away from work and ride.  The ride was not fast due to the fact the 2 guys I was riding with are running the A10 (Annapolis 10mi) this morning.  They did not want to push it. 
Your picture was great! 
2010-08-29 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3069530

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-08-29 7:19 AM
wbayek - 2010-08-22 9:48 AM The Timberman race was awesome.  I used someone's advice and had three goals - happy, stretch, and "if the stars align".  My stars align goal was 1:24, and I hit 1:22:58!  Gotta be happy, even it was partially due to the run being a little short (though the bike was long!).  After the swim and bike I was 10/82 in my age group, and I finished 23/82.  Running is still my downfall! 

My splits with times were: 8:30, 1:26/100, 46:05, 19.5 mph, 22:31, 7:30.  I'm amazed at the swim time since I had my goggles kicked totally off my head and I had to stop and find them about 75 yards into the swim.  It took me almost the whole rest of the swim to get back into a normal stroke again, though I drafted a fast guy and I think that was key.

I'll work on a race report for later.  Thanks for all the encouragement.

Paula, definitely rest that injury.  Stress fractures are nasty.  I had a good friend not take care of one several years ago and he's still not right.

Warren, Great Job on your race! That is a fantastic swim time, and I would kill to have your run times as well.  My weakness is also running but my times are reeaallly slow. 

Thanks Scott.  In fairness the run was shorter than 3 miles, so my real pace was more like 7:55.  I'm still excited.  A yeasr ago that pace would have been completely out of the question.

2010-08-29 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3070187

User image

Expert
Hey folks! How's it going? I had a busy weekend, but I managed to get some good training in. Yesterday I helped my son move back from Connecticut about 2 and a hallf hours away where he had an internship job for the last 6 months. Next week we have to move all the same stuff to Rochester which is about 4 hours away for his last year of college. My backside is going to be tired!

Today I took my 2 boys to a Mets game. Great day, plus the Mets won! We were in the upper deck, but in the first row right by 3rd base, so pretty good seats:

Life is good!
2010-08-30 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

NH
Way cool trip Anthony, but that's no Fenway Park!
2010-09-01 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3070949

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-08-30 10:18 AM Way cool trip Anthony, but that's no Fenway Park!

I was lucky enough to go to  a couple of games at Fenway when I was in college, and it is a very cool place. Citifield is pretty nice though; a huge improvement over Shea.
2010-09-01 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3077143

User image

Expert
Boy, my office has not been a lucky place lately. Yesterday, one of my assistants, who had just got back from vacation, started feeling sick around lunchtime. Later in the afternoon she got violently ill, so she went home. She continued throwing up at home, so her husband brought her to the hospital in the middle of the night and it turned out to be appendicitis. She had it out today, and she is already at home and not feeling too bad. That laparoscopic surgery is amazing!

Anthony
2010-09-01 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Anthony glad to hear your assistant is doing well.  I have to agree with Warren, Fenway is awesome! (Boston fan) so I am also a little bias...Orioles are playing Boston in Baltimore and my partner is taking his son (1st game) Go Sox's...

2010-09-02 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3077313

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-09-01 8:39 PM Anthony glad to hear your assistant is doing well.  I have to agree with Warren, Fenway is awesome! (Boston fan) so I am also a little bias...Orioles are playing Boston in Baltimore and my partner is taking his son (1st game) Go Sox's...

Haha, Red Sox nation is everywhere!  It's funny you mention the Baltimore games.  It's almost impossible to get tickets to a game at Fenway, so I usually catch a Sox game or two at Baltimore with a group of friends.  This is the first year we've missed in a while, and based on all those empty seats it looks like we weren't the only ones skipping this year.  I think there are actually more sox fans than Oriole fans.
2010-09-02 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Warren, that is so true. My partner was at the game last night. He said the only reason most of the seats were filled was because of the Sox fans.  You should let me know when you will be down this way.  Come a day early and I will take you out to some great areas to bike.  If not then I know some good bars also...haha.  Sox came back last night we will see about tonight.

Anthony you are also welcome to join in the festivites

Edited by scott1223 2010-09-02 7:38 PM
2010-09-03 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3079698

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-09-02 8:37 PM

Warren, that is so true. My partner was at the game last night. He said the only reason most of the seats were filled was because of the Sox fans.  You should let me know when you will be down this way.  Come a day early and I will take you out to some great areas to bike.  If not then I know some good bars also...haha.  Sox came back last night we will see about tonight.

That would be a cool BT reunion.  Maybe if there's a tri that weekend we could really do it right.
2010-09-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3080975

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-09-03 2:46 PM
scott1223 - 2010-09-02 8:37 PM

That would be a cool BT reunion.  Maybe if there's a tri that weekend we could really do it right.

Baseball and tri! That would be a great weekend!
2010-09-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3081089

User image

Expert
Just wanted to let everyone no that Calvin is racing this weekend at the Calloway Gardens Tri in Georgia. I have always heard this is a great race. Good luck and have fun Calvin!

Anthony

2010-09-04 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3081099

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-09-03 3:30 PM Just wanted to let everyone no that Calvin is racing this weekend at the Calloway Gardens Tri in Georgia. I have always heard this is a great race. Good luck and have fun Calvin!

Anthony

Good luck Calvin.  Kill it.  And put a pic from the race in your avatar!
2010-09-07 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3082159

User image

Expert
Hey, everyone! Calvin has completed his race report, so take a look when you get a chance. He had a great race, so congratulations!

Anthony
2010-09-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3085440

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-09-07 1:44 PM Hey, everyone! Calvin has completed his race report, so take a look when you get a chance. He had a great race, so congratulations!

Anthony

That's a great race Calvin.  I love to read these race reports.

I'm finishing up the taper for Sunday's half.  The swim still has me scared as I still cough violently whenever I take a deep or fast breath, so I think I have to make some adjustments to my swimming technique.  So far the bike and run don't seem like they will be too bad, especially with the inhaler.  I suppose this is what anyone with asthma goes through all the time, so no huge deal I think.
2010-09-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3088854

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-09-09 9:46 AM
That's a great race Calvin.  I love to read these race reports.

I'm finishing up the taper for Sunday's half.  The swim still has me scared as I still cough violently whenever I take a deep or fast breath, so I think I have to make some adjustments to my swimming technique.  So far the bike and run don't seem like they will be too bad, especially with the inhaler.  I suppose this is what anyone with asthma goes through all the time, so no huge deal I think.

Hey Warren, I have a couple of thoughts FWIW. Fiirst, I feel like you will be pretty well recovered by Sunday. Second, and most important, you are extremely well prepared. Your training has been excellent! You should all check out Warren's logs to see some really good training. Plenty of volume with some good intensity sprinkled in. Also, he has tested out his nutrition on his long bikes, which is very important at the HIM distance. I am really looking forward to seeing how you do, because I think you are gonna rock!

Anthony
2010-09-09 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3089949

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-09-09 4:13 PM
Hey Warren, I have a couple of thoughts FWIW. Fiirst, I feel like you will be pretty well recovered by Sunday. Second, and most important, you are extremely well prepared. Your training has been excellent! You should all check out Warren's logs to see some really good training. Plenty of volume with some good intensity sprinkled in. Also, he has tested out his nutrition on his long bikes, which is very important at the HIM distance. I am really looking forward to seeing how you do, because I think you are gonna rock!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony - you make me feel like a rock star!  The truth is I'm just another old guy chasing dream.  But I do feel ready for Sunday.  I'm excited and nervous.  My friend/coach suggests I take some of my newfound bike speed out for a spin from miles 30-56 if I feel good, so that will be my plan.  Not too hard, but I'm planning a good effort on the bike and let the run fall where it may.  Survive the swim, rock the bike, and run to my fitness.

2010-09-09 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Warren, Anthony is right.. your training logs are awesome.  You are going to rock this race.  Just remember the inhaler on your transitions.   Good luck to you!! 

My daughter who is 9 wants to run in the 5k- 9/11 Heros Run this Sunday.  We ran this afternoon and she did well.  We will be running it with friends so it will be fun. Trying to get the rest of the family to do the fun run/walk with us.
2010-09-11 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3090339

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-09-09 8:21 PM
Thanks Anthony - you make me feel like a rock star!  The truth is I'm just another old guy chasing dream.

Old guy?!?! You're still a kid! I consider anyone younger than me a kid

But I do feel ready for Sunday.  I'm excited and nervous.  My friend/coach suggests I take some of my newfound bike speed out for a spin from miles 30-56 if I feel good, so that will be my plan.  Not too hard, but I'm planning a good effort on the bike and let the run fall where it may.  Survive the swim, rock the bike, and run to my fitness.

Sounds like a good plan; pretty much what I will be doing.

Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to hear about it!

Anthony
2010-09-11 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3090375

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-09-09 8:44 PM Warren, Anthony is right.. your training logs are awesome.  You are going to rock this race.  Just remember the inhaler on your transitions.   Good luck to you!! 

My daughter who is 9 wants to run in the 5k- 9/11 Heros Run this Sunday.  We ran this afternoon and she did well.  We will be running it with friends so it will be fun. Trying to get the rest of the family to do the fun run/walk with us.

That's great that your daughter wants to run, especially in such a meaningful event.

Anthony
2010-09-11 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3092688

User image

Expert
Big day for me tomorrow as well: Toughman HIM. I guess they call it "Toughman" because it's a pretty challenging course. Pretty hilly on the bike, and extremely hilly for the run. Nothing like Savageman HIM, but still very challenging. At least the swim is flat

The hardest part of the race is between mile 9 and 10 on the run where there is a difficult climb. I should be there sometime around 1 o'clock, so if you think about it, right about kickoff time for the first games, please send some good thoughts my way. Maybe send a boot in the backside, and some "suck it up, buttercup" as well.

Anthony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24