BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-06-05 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
Tour de Cure in the early am on Sunday--hope for nice weatherCool

2010-06-06 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT

Haven't checked in for quite some time. Sounds like everyone's season is starting up nicely. Just had my first tri on thursday nite. It was mini - but almost a full sprint (600 swim, 12 mi bike, 3 mi run) - really nice race. Race Report is finally up.

Has anyone found a good way to view all your friends recent posts. I was playing around with RSS feeds, and was able to subscribe to mine, but i had to set the privacy to "allow guests" to view to get it to work. This was based on some posts i'd seen in BT. There's another feature in BT to view all your friends blogs, if you go into "BT Blogger" and click the "Show Friends" link it lists the posts by most recent. You still have to go to each persons log to inspire.

I've been havin a difficult time keeping up on everyones logs, so i've been looking for a way to get to them all more easily.

2010-06-06 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2901302

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
charlotte hobbs - 2010-06-04 6:29 PM i have a road bike, and like swimming and running i am very slow.  my neck and back often are uncomfortable while riding - but discomfort rather than persistent pain.

i took a tri-bike out earlier this spring for a test run.  after the test, i was not convinced that i would be faster or more comfortable. now with our discussion i am second guessing myself.

do most of you have a road bike and a tribike?  the cons are obviously the extra expense. what are the pros for a slow age-grouper?

thanks.

charlotte

I have a road bike, considering i was neither a cyclist or triathlete last august i thought a road bike was more likely to get used, whereas a tri bike, well, if i hated it then it gathers dust in the garage. So is spent £1000 on a bike got a good spec on the components, full carton frame, now i hooked on tri's i am, eying a p2 ! oops, there goes another £2500 !!
2010-06-06 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I too am taking a serious look at bikes.  Right now I have a entry level Tri bike but am not totally satisfied with the performance.  After riding today 50miles with others--I am starting to look at road bikes--not sure which way to turn at this time.  Ride went great!
2010-06-07 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Hi Everyone- SO things have finally calmed down here- I'm done coaching high school lacrosse, premier soccer is over in a week, and summer vacation is coming. So now I can return to the world of triathlons. Looks like I have a fair amount of catching up to do.
 Last week I managed to do a 25K trail race. It was so much fun, all up hill or downhill no flats. Gave me a new prospective on eating on the run. Pretty much had to eat every few miles or my body wouldnt' function. I ended up with 1 black toenail that was so sore it took me 6 days before I managed to put sneakers on. I managed to finish in in 2hrs and 39 mins.
Hope everyones training is going well!

2010-06-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2903629

User image

charlotte hobbs - 2010-06-04 6:29 PM i have a road bike, and like swimming and running i am very slow.  my neck and back often are uncomfortable while riding - but discomfort rather than persistent pain.

i took a tri-bike out earlier this spring for a test run.  after the test, i was not convinced that i would be faster or more comfortable. now with our discussion i am second guessing myself.

do most of you have a road bike and a tribike?  the cons are obviously the extra expense. what are the pros for a slow age-grouper?

thanks.

charlotte

I have a road bike too, it's pretty new, and I went for the fitting because I was having upper back and neck pain.  The fitter said it was because my top tube was too long for my body and therefore i was leaning too far forward.  I have a Specialized Ellite and absolutely love it, but I am looking for some clip on aerobars for the longer rides.

2010-06-07 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Question on swimming--did quite a few laps today in the pool--when I got out I thought I was going to fall over--very dizzy.  Have heard you should wear ear plugs when swimming but does that apply to pools also?
2010-06-08 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2907035

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
I have been swimming competitively for a long time and have never worn earplugs.  I don't think your dizziness was caused from water in your ears, probably more from the exercise in a horizontal plane then jumping up to a vertical plane when you got out of the water.  Most of your blood was feeding muscles and had to be quickly rerouted to your brain when you got out of the water.  Sounds to me like orthostatic hypotension.
2010-06-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2905050

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
zachkoe - 2010-06-07 11:24 AM Hi Everyone- SO things have finally calmed down here- I'm done coaching high school lacrosse, premier soccer is over in a week, and summer vacation is coming. So now I can return to the world of triathlons. Looks like I have a fair amount of catching up to do.
 Last week I managed to do a 25K trail race. It was so much fun, all up hill or downhill no flats. Gave me a new prospective on eating on the run. Pretty much had to eat every few miles or my body wouldnt' function. I ended up with 1 black toenail that was so sore it took me 6 days before I managed to put sneakers on. I managed to finish in in 2hrs and 39 mins.
Hope everyones training is going well!

Sounds like a great race. Trails are so much fun, make you feel like a kid. Hope the Toe-nail is healed up! 
2010-06-08 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2903234

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
rbriggz - 2010-06-06 9:20 AM

Haven't checked in for quite some time. Sounds like everyone's season is starting up nicely. Just had my first tri on thursday nite. It was mini - but almost a full sprint (600 swim, 12 mi bike, 3 mi run) - really nice race. Race Report is finally up.

Has anyone found a good way to view all your friends recent posts. I was playing around with RSS feeds, and was able to subscribe to mine, but i had to set the privacy to "allow guests" to view to get it to work. This was based on some posts i'd seen in BT. There's another feature in BT to view all your friends blogs, if you go into "BT Blogger" and click the "Show Friends" link it lists the posts by most recent. You still have to go to each persons log to inspire.

I've been havin a difficult time keeping up on everyones logs, so i've been looking for a way to get to them all more easily.

So here's my new way of browsing blogs. Go to BT Blogger, click "Show My Friends" - sorts all my friends blogs by "Most Recent" posts, right click on Friend, open in a new tab, inspire, close tab, move to next blog entry.

I still don't think i'm seeing all of my friends blogs tho. You may have to "Make Public" for it to show up in the BT Blogger list. Maybe some smarter person knows this? 
2010-06-08 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been away for a while - I blame work, work, illness and holidays. I am thankfully able to have a little more time to myself now. Consequently I ducked the tri last weekend as I know I wasn't ready. Now I have to get geared up for the next one at the start of next month.

Oh .... and I bought a new bike. I wasn't sure which one to go for so my local shop did a fitting and it turned out that I am a freak! Unusually long legs for a standard torso and narrower shoulders than would be expected. So all in all the guy in the shop suggested that Trek would be best for me on account of their bike proportions. So I ended up with a Trek Madone 4.7.
I love it but have yet to get out on it as I only managed to collect it before coming away - tomorrow though! *squee*

2010-06-08 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2907680

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
gobluedds - 2010-06-08 2:19 PM I have been swimming competitively for a long time and have never worn earplugs.  I don't think your dizziness was caused from water in your ears, probably more from the exercise in a horizontal plane then jumping up to a vertical plane when you got out of the water.  Most of your blood was feeding muscles and had to be quickly rerouted to your brain when you got out of the water.  Sounds to me like orthostatic hypotension.

Agreed, i am dizzy if i jump straight out the water, just the change in body position and the head losing the easy blood flow it enjoyed in the horizontal position. it passes within a minute, by then i am getting my shoes on
2010-06-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2908149

User image

Regular
Billerica
Kate_r - 2010-06-08 11:03 AM Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been away for a while - I blame work, work, illness and holidays. I am thankfully able to have a little more time to myself now. Consequently I ducked the tri last weekend as I know I wasn't ready. Now I have to get geared up for the next one at the start of next month.

Oh .... and I bought a new bike. I wasn't sure which one to go for so my local shop did a fitting and it turned out that I am a freak! Unusually long legs for a standard torso and narrower shoulders than would be expected. So all in all the guy in the shop suggested that Trek would be best for me on account of their bike proportions. So I ended up with a Trek Madone 4.7.
I love it but have yet to get out on it as I only managed to collect it before coming away - tomorrow though! *squee*

Congratulations on your new ride. Just got off Trek's website and that really looks like a nice ride.
2010-06-08 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2909659

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
scogz1 - 2010-06-08 8:51 PM

Congratulations on your new ride. Just got off Trek's website and that really looks like a nice ride.

X2!  Hope things are going better for you.
2010-06-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2909659

User image

Expert
Boston

X2 on the sweeeet ride.  It looks like a lot of folks are getting new bikes.  Is it christmas?    Well I am off to Cape Cod tomorrow.   Have what rbriggz  calls a trication.    Race is Saturday.  I feel ready.  I have rested my damn calves, I got a new bike, got Michael a new camera so he can take better pictures.  WHat else do I need?  So I won't be posting for a few days as the iPhone is quite fickle about the BT site!     I will be posting on facebook though....they have an app!
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?id=100000620165905

Hope every one has a great weekend and good luck to those racing this weekend....

Edited by Seren 2010-06-09 10:22 AM
2010-06-09 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2910742

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Seren - 2010-06-09 11:20 AM

X2 on the sweeeet ride.  It looks like a lot of folks are getting new bikes.  Is it christmas?    Well I am off to Cape Cod tomorrow.   Have what rbriggz  calls a trication.    Race is Saturday.  I feel ready.  I have rested my damn calves, I got a new bike, got Michael a new camera so he can take better pictures.  WHat else do I need?  So I won't be posting for a few days as the iPhone is quite fickle about the BT site!     I will be posting on facebook though....they have an app!
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?id=100000620165905

Hope every one has a great weekend and good luck to those racing this weekend....
Good Luck

2010-06-10 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
My planned training has pretty much gone out the window lately. I seem to be on an every-other-day intense workout plan. Which has actually been feeling okay. If i could throw in some swimming on the "other" day and call it active recovery - i might have something. Right now i'm not as concerned with my swim speed or endurance as i am with getting enough days per week in the pool to stay tuned (not that i'm any great swimmer). The run seems to be what is killing me, so i'm trying to run hills and get in some brick workouts to feel good getting off the bike and running.

Good Luck Serenity and everyone else who is racing this weekend !! 
2010-06-11 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Boise 70.3 is tomorrow and I am soo excited to go spectate! Chris Lieto will be there, which I am jazzed about.

I'll try not to cheer so much I get accused of being a volunteer like I did at Emmett last year.lol

I am hoping going to do this race next year.
2010-06-12 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Have a nice warm up race Sunday Morning--5K all in preperation of my first Sprint of the year in two short weeks.  Also this race in my wife's first ever!!!  Going to be a lot of fun--how all my work with her pays off and she enjoys.   It's always fun to have other family members becoming involved.  My son and girl friend are driving over from VT to be in the race too.
2010-06-12 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2917540

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Dragonflyer - 2010-06-12 3:19 PM Have a nice warm up race Sunday Morning--5K all in preperation of my first Sprint of the year in two short weeks.  Also this race in my wife's first ever!!!  Going to be a lot of fun--how all my work with her pays off and she enjoys.   It's always fun to have other family members becoming involved.  My son and girl friend are driving over from VT to be in the race too.
Have fun!  And best wishes to your wife for a great first race!!!
2010-06-13 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
I see that a lot of people got training in this weekend, despite the weather. Did a group pre-ride /run of next weeks OLY course with a bunch of CT BTers. Bought a used MTB on the way home - pretty great Sunday i'd say. Didn't get rained on at all.

Alana - have to stop by your blog to read about the Boise 70.3 !
You made i there i hope !

2010-06-13 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Good job this weekend racers!

Got a couple of good workouts in this weekend as well as some jockstrapping for some friends who were racing without me.  Glad to see folks are still keeping with the swing of things.  First Oly distance race of the season next weekend.  Should be fun its a Mid-East Regional Championship qualifying race so there should be a few big names there.. Certainly going to be some cool bikes to look at.
2010-06-14 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Hi everyone!  Finally made it back home.  What a fun race the Escape the Cape was.   It was my first tri that all 5 splits were recorded and I wasn't nursing an injury!!    Didn't quite make that top 10% in my AG - more like 38%  but I have a goal!!!  Next up is my "A" race - the Black Fly Tri - international distance next month! 
2010-06-14 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Was looking for some bike maintenance info and came across this site. Looks like a fairly comprehensive resource.

http://bicycletutor.com/

2010-06-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2920713

User image

Extreme Veteran
rbriggz - 2010-06-14 1:43 PM Was looking for some bike maintenance info and came across this site. Looks like a fairly comprehensive resource.

http://bicycletutor.com/

Maintenance issues already with your new bike?lol 

Thanks for the resource.  I have so much to learn in this area.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27