in reply to: #3052895

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3234193

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Yeah, my wife and I are going to classes that will qualify us to adopt or foster.
2010-12-02 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3234806

Expert
pistuo - 2010-12-02 8:36 PM Yeah, my wife and I are going to classes that will qualify us to adopt or foster.

That's great, congratulations! Must be very exciting! 
2010-12-03 9:07 AM

Pro
CyFair
Little over 10 miles on the jog this morning after some single leg presses, GHRs, and wall squats.  Legs are SHAKING now.  Oh how I love this feeling.
2010-12-03 12:37 PM

Expert
San Jose
So I just started 'lap' swimming last February. I did 3 sprints and an Oly this year. My swim got better with each race but I still have so much more to work on.

With so much to learn, I've just  been breathing on one side. So today at masters swim, I asked my coach to go over how to breath on both sides. Sounds simple but I needed instruction

I feel so much more relaxed, almost like my body works better in the new pattern. Coach said that I looked totally relaxed, like I had been swimming that way all along. Yippee!

Great way to end the week. Tomorrow is a rest day and heading to Vegas to run in Sunday's Rock n Roll 1/2 M.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Johanne
2010-12-03 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3235652

Expert
50andgettingfit - 2010-12-03 12:37 PM So I just started 'lap' swimming last February. I did 3 sprints and an Oly this year. My swim got better with each race but I still have so much more to work on.

With so much to learn, I've just  been breathing on one side. So today at masters swim, I asked my coach to go over how to breath on both sides. Sounds simple but I needed instruction

I feel so much more relaxed, almost like my body works better in the new pattern. Coach said that I looked totally relaxed, like I had been swimming that way all along. Yippee!

Great way to end the week. Tomorrow is a rest day and heading to Vegas to run in Sunday's Rock n Roll 1/2 M.

Johanne

Sounds great, congrats! Relaxing in the water is so important...I'm finding that out too. 

2010-12-04 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3235652

Elite
Hendersonville
50andgettingfit - 2010-12-03 12:37 PM So I just started 'lap' swimming last February. I did 3 sprints and an Oly this year. My swim got better with each race but I still have so much more to work on.

Johanne

Good luck this weekend!
2010-12-04 10:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tx
The bad news - our adoption training got cancelled.

The good news - I get to train this weekend.  Got a good run in today and planning on sneaking a bike in tomorrow. 
2010-12-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3236964

Expert
pistuo - 2010-12-04 10:54 PM The bad news - our adoption training got cancelled.

The good news - I get to train this weekend.  Got a good run in today and planning on sneaking a bike in tomorrow. 

Hopefully just postponed but enjoy the ride!

I am just finding that like 100% of my success training is going to be about managing my time.  Not getting in these crunches for school/exams where I have to lock myself in the library for tons of hours straight is so important. I got every final paper I needed to get done (over 70 pages of writing!) then have my last exam friday--econometrics .  After that I'm taking a week off work and done with school just to get my training perfectly on course.  I cant wait!
2010-12-05 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3234664

Veteran
Grand Rapids
adamamelia - 2010-12-02 7:34 PM

Hello to everyone and thank you for 24 pages of great information!

I just signed up for my first triathlon, the 2011 Steelhead HIM in August and appreciate the awesome dialogue going on in this forum.

I do have a question regarding racing between now and August.

Obviously I need to wet my feet with the whole triathlon racing experience. I'm thinking of doing a few Sprints, and a few Oly's during my training but don't want to overdo it. I'm using the "Beginner 1/2 Ironman" training plan as a base building program over winter and will likely continue the plan (with increased distance modifications) as I approach my A race, the Streelhead. Here's my question:

Will two Sprints and two Oly's be too few, too many, or just right to get the hang of things before my A race?

If two and two is good, how should I spread them across the 18 month training plan?

You all are an awesome and talented group. Keep up the good work!

Hey Adam! I haven't posted in here before, but I am also doing my first HIM at Steelhead this year. I'm no expert, but I have done some sprints and olys in the area in the past couple of years if you have any questions or need anything.

Hi All!

My name is Kat and I am officially signed up for 2011 Steelhead HIM! Yes, I actually said it (typed it) out loud...now I have to do it. I've done 3-5 triathlons a year for the past couple of years....mostly sprints, some middle distances and one oly. Last year I also ran my first 25k, half marathon and marathon (Chicago). The half went great, the 25k was OK and the marathon sucked (too hot)! This year I'm looking at doing a 25k (local race), one sprint tri, a couple olys and then the HIM....(followed by another marathon).

I'm a stay-at-home-mom of two children (ages 1 and 4). I usually train in the mornings when I can bring the kids to the daycare at the gym. I was a competitive swimmer in highschool so the swim usually goes pretty smoothly...then it all goes downhill. I've learned to like running, I'm not sure I will ever love it. But I really just don't like the bike. I know that I haven't trained well on the bike for the most part and so my performance isn't as good as I would like. I just bought a Cervelo P2 this fall so I am planning on using the trainer over the winter. I'm hoping to the new bike will help my attitude .

My goal for this year is to smile, take it in and have fun!

Kat
2010-12-05 6:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
OK so I've been laying low here. My tri season ended and I wanted to do a HIM. I really ramped up my running. Did an 11 miler yesterday in a light, now and 29°. Tough time of year for training in western NY. Still maintaining, program should kick in the end of February.

2010-12-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3237514

Veteran
Washington D.C.
lextek - 2010-12-05 7:27 PM OK so I've been laying low here. My tri season ended and I wanted to do a HIM. I really ramped up my running. Did an 11 miler yesterday in a light, now and 29°. Tough time of year for training in western NY. Still maintaining, program should kick in the end of February.

My brother and I share your hardships.  We train in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid.  We can usually make it out for the runs but find we get too cold on the bike when it dips below 30 degrees.  Time to throw the bikes on the trainer.  I thought I was going to lose my toes on my last ride.
2010-12-06 7:52 AM

Veteran
Washington D.C.
So the fundraiser triathlon went as well as I expected on Saturday.  We were given 10mins to swim, 30mins to bike, and 20mins to run as many miles as we could.  Swam about 250m (about 4min/100m), biked 10.85mi (avg about 22mph), and ran about 2.4mi (about 8:20min/mi).  Would have done better on the run but at some point in the event I forgot how long we had to run.  I paced myself for and stopped after 10mins (was already at 1.61mi so I was running about a 6:15min/mi).  The guy timing me ran up and told me I wasn't done and to keep going.  I got so mad at myself.  I had sprinted the final 90sec of my 10mins so I was all burnt out and had to slowly build up my pace again.  Lesson learned though and the event was a big success.  We were able to raise alot of money.
2010-12-06 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3234664

Elite
Hendersonville
adamamelia - 2010-12-02 6:34 PM

I just signed up for my first triathlon, the 2011 Steelhead HIM in August and appreciate the awesome dialogue going on in this forum.

Obviously I need to wet my feet with the whole triathlon racing experience. I'm thinking of doing a few Sprints, and a few Oly's during my training but don't want to overdo it. I'm using the "Beginner 1/2 Ironman" training plan as a base building program over winter and will likely continue the plan (with increased distance modifications) as I approach my A race, the Streelhead. Here's my question:

Will two Sprints and two Oly's be too few, too many, or just right to get the hang of things before my A race?

If two and two is good, how should I spread them across the 18 month training plan?

Welcome! Congrats on signing up for your first IM! You don't have to race at all before your "A" race if you don't want to. That will allow you to do all of your training and not make accommodations for post-race recovery. However, if you want to race, that is fine. Don't do more than 1 per month. I would prefer the 1-2 sprints and one Oly rather than all of them.  Start with the Sprint in the early season, then the Oly at least 5 weeks before the HIM.
2010-12-06 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3237484

Elite
Hendersonville
clarkka7 - 2010-12-05 5:56 PM
adamamelia - 2010-12-02 7:34 PM

Hey Adam! I haven't posted in here before, but I am also doing my first HIM at Steelhead this year. I'm no expert, but I have done some sprints and olys in the area in the past couple of years if you have any questions or need anything. Hi All! My name is Kat and I am officially signed up for 2011 Steelhead HIM! Yes, I actually said it (typed it) out loud...now I have to do it. I've done 3-5 triathlons a year for the past couple of years....mostly sprints, some middle distances and one oly. Last year I also ran my first 25k, half marathon and marathon (Chicago). The half went great, the 25k was OK and the marathon sucked (too hot)! This year I'm looking at doing a 25k (local race), one sprint tri, a couple olys and then the HIM....(followed by another marathon). I'm a stay-at-home-mom of two children (ages 1 and 4). I usually train in the mornings when I can bring the kids to the daycare at the gym. I was a competitive swimmer in highschool so the swim usually goes pretty smoothly...then it all goes downhill. I've learned to like running, I'm not sure I will ever love it. But I really just don't like the bike. I know that I haven't trained well on the bike for the most part and so my performance isn't as good as I would like. I just bought a Cervelo P2 this fall so I am planning on using the trainer over the winter. I'm hoping to the new bike will help my attitude . My goal for this year is to smile, take it in and have fun! Kat

Hi Kat! Welcome the the forum! You might want to look around in your area to see if anyone offers indoor cycling classes over the winter. We do that here in Nashville to help triathletes stay in shape over the winter. If you can't find anything, try spinning at the gym. It may not be perfectly geared toward triathletes, but it's better than the trainer over and over again.
2010-12-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3237884

Elite
Hendersonville
mrfranks_84 - 2010-12-06 7:52 AM So the fundraiser triathlon went as well as I expected on Saturday.  We were given 10mins to swim, 30mins to bike, and 20mins to run as many miles as we could.  Swam about 250m (about 4min/100m), biked 10.85mi (avg about 22mph), and ran about 2.4mi (about 8:20min/mi).  Would have done better on the run but at some point in the event I forgot how long we had to run.  I paced myself for and stopped after 10mins (was already at 1.61mi so I was running about a 6:15min/mi).  The guy timing me ran up and told me I wasn't done and to keep going.  I got so mad at myself.  I had sprinted the final 90sec of my 10mins so I was all burnt out and had to slowly build up my pace again.  Lesson learned though and the event was a big success.  We were able to raise alot of money.

Awesome! That's really cool.

2010-12-06 11:20 AM

Pro
CyFair
Have my first group ride really ever coming up Saturday.  I train solo so never really had the occasion to ride in a large group.  Kinda nervous about it.
2010-12-06 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3238273

Expert
uhcoog - 2010-12-06 11:20 AM Have my first group ride really ever coming up Saturday.  I train solo so never really had the occasion to ride in a large group.  Kinda nervous about it.

I need one.  I just rode through a freakin monsoon yesterday it was SO windy could hvae used a group.  Rode like 23mi in 95 minutes.  Was a disaster, and i was the only one stupid/brave enough to be out there  
2010-12-06 6:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-06 8:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Edited by arkmann 2010-12-07 12:20 AM
2010-12-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3238908

Veteran
Grand Rapids
adamamelia - 2010-12-06 7:04 PM

Kat,

Cyber high-five for hitting "submit" on the race registration. It felt like a first kiss when I did it! I'm so excited. Training now has meaning :-) Best of luck with your training over the winter. It's officially too cold to ride outdoors for me and I did my first indoor spin tonight (only 30 minutes). This MI winter is really going to drag.

Jessica,

Thanks for the answer about racing before my "A" race August 14th. I'll plan two sprints and an Oly (Grand Rapids June 5th) http://www.grandrapidstri.com/. Maybe a sprint, oly, sprint instead of a sprint, sprint, oly. If I do the GR Oly I'll have 10 weeks before the HIM. That seems too long not to race. I'd like to have at least three races under my belt before the Steelhead so I'm somewhat familiar with pre-race stuff, transitioning, etc....

I got my USA Triathlon membership card today and discovered that in 2011 I'll be racing in the 35-39 year old group (age group defined by your age on Dec 31st of the year you're racing). That was news to me :-)

I started brick sessions this week and was overjoyed with how great they felt. Hope everyone else is experiencing the same joy in training!!!

Hey Adam,

I'm also doing the new Grand Rapids triathlon. I was thinking of doing the oly, but I'm also doing a sprint distance the weekend before (Seahorse). Are you thinking of doing Tri Del Sol or Johans Trifest? I did both last year and they are pretty good as well.

2010-12-07 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3238095

Veteran
Grand Rapids

Thanks Jessica! I do spin inside weekly...and I really like it. Its the actual time I spend riding outside that I don't like. I don't know if I'm just nervous when doing it or if its just not enough time in the saddle. I also need to work on getting set up more comfortably in the aero position. I've had both shoulders surgically repaired so the aero position for me is a little different than most.

Kat
2010-12-07 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3238273

Elite
Hendersonville
uhcoog - 2010-12-06 11:20 AM Have my first group ride really ever coming up Saturday.  I train solo so never really had the occasion to ride in a large group.  Kinda nervous about it.

Very cool. Let us know how it goes.
2010-12-07 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3239883

Elite
Hendersonville
clarkka7 - 2010-12-07 12:32 PM Thanks Jessica! I do spin inside weekly...and I really like it. Its the actual time I spend riding outside that I don't like. I don't know if I'm just nervous when doing it or if its just not enough time in the saddle. I also need to work on getting set up more comfortably in the aero position. I've had both shoulders surgically repaired so the aero position for me is a little different than most. Kat

Biking is NO FUN when your bike isn't comfortable. Try to get re-fit on it as soon as you can. It will make a difference!
2010-12-07 9:29 PM

New user

Sydney

Hi All, Surprise I’m new to the site, although been an on and off visitor for a few years now… more off than on for a while, but that is a reflection of my training too. I’ve been enjoying reading the stories in this thread, especially as I don’t have any training buddies, so thanks people for sharing the love.

Here’s my brief story, I’m 33 and living in Sydney Australia. The past few years have seen me focus on career and all but drop training, I’ve completed a couple of Olympics and a sprint and a couple of half marathons, but that was a few years back now. I decided it was time to get back to training and I decided to sign up for the Australian Long Course (Jervis Bay), and that’s what brings me here because I figure a HIM training plan and group to match is a pretty good fit.

But wait, the crazy thing is that I’ve only got 14 weeks to train (from a very soft base of almost nothing). I know this is no way to plan or train, but my goal is just to finish and hopefully enjoy the day so I’m hoping I can manage that. As it’s just been a couple of days my starting point so far is a couple of 5km runs, a 20k training ride and no pool yet…. So from here it begins!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150