BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-02-12 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Packing for my first race of the season, feel ready except for what to wear.  We went from 70's early in the week to 45 at start time.  Hard to plan for that temperature when you haven't trained in it.  Will report back tomorrow afternoon.

2011-02-12 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
GO CHRIS!!

Good luck tomorrow.  You will get the clothing figured out.  The run will be nice a little cooler.  I like arm warmers on the bike at that temp so i can peel them after I get warmed up, still tri shorts though and a wetsuit for the swim.

Jeff- How did it go today?
2011-02-12 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3352340

User image

Veteran
cbarnes1 - 2011-02-12 6:55 PM GO CHRIS!!

Good luck tomorrow.  You will get the clothing figured out.  The run will be nice a little cooler.  I like arm warmers on the bike at that temp so i can peel them after I get warmed up, still tri shorts though and a wetsuit for the swim.

Jeff- How did it go today?

I was this close a clean get away...well ...Chet you asked.

Today was wierd.  Let's recap shall we..
I started the race and hit "the wall" knowing that this always happens and trying to pace at the McMillan calc pace and... (ladies avert your gaze) I got this huge mucous frothy thingy going on and felt like I could not breathe. But it wouldn't stop, I had to slow or it was going into my Right main broncus. Couldn't slow. Had to spit. Which started a huge coughing spasm. So...I turned around and went home.

Upon which...
My wife says .."With all that overtime, I would have thought you would have bought your road bike by now.  Now folks, knowing that it is fairly new in the season...I knew that there were last season bikes out there for sale.

TO WHich ...
I said, "Are you giving me permission to buy a new bike? "

WHere as ...
She said, Yeah..."

and....
I was gone. To the bike store. Let's cut ....I got a Scott CR-1. Carbon. Love the responsiveness of this bike.

Then...
My two boys got lost on a trail Mtn Biking and were out passed dark. Mom freaked. Had to go look for them. Both had cells but decided not to use them being that the 15y/o did not want to admit that he was lost (ladies I know, don't say it) I had a discussion with him later.

But other than that I had two killer training sessions on the spin (too windy in the mtn to ride on the road today) and then in the pool ...with no interruptions. Yea me.

Oh and Chris..Kick butt tomorrow. Go man.
2011-02-13 4:22 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks guys! Out the door and on my way.
2011-02-13 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
1:24:36 official time. Race report later.
2011-02-13 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Congrats Chris.   I look forward to the RR.

Jeff- That is quite a day!  Sorry about the race.  You will get "race pace" figured out.  That calculator is usually pretty close but of course not for everyone.  So, hmm... a couple questions:  are you warming up?  I run, stretch and do stride outs before any running race other than the marathon.  Are you going out too fast?  Maybe you need to ease into race pace a little slower?  It just sounds like your heart rate is spiking when it shouldn't.  Keep us updated. 

So how do I get my wife to say that about buying a bike?  Congrats on the new bike and of course the post means nothing without pictures  Sounds like a sweet ride!!

Kids are great at creating stress in our lives aren't they.  Now that they are home safe, I can say I laughed at the not using the cell phone.  That is too funny.  Quite a day  

2011-02-13 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Well done Chris! I looked up the Chilly Willy website, looks like a fun event.

Jeff - hope the bike makes up for the wierd sputum event!!! Please tell me that a good bike makes you faster, I'd like to think that when I upgrade it'll "transform my cycling"!!!

Chet - how are legs and what happened with the heel???

I finished my weekend with a relaxed 8k run around the coast path in the National Park followed with pizza with the kids and Modern Family.

Be great to hear what some of the others in the group are up to.
2011-02-13 2:59 PM

Congrats on the race Chris. What race was it? Happy with your time?

Sounds like you had a tough day Jeff.

I chose a decent weekend to work as the weather was atrocious here, horizontal sleet and rain so just a turbo session this evening. Good fun though! Just got to get through tomorrows "on call" then its all downhill at work until my week off next week. Hoping to get lots of quality training in that week.

Just found out that I am working the morning of the 10k I had planned but I may just be able to scoot off early to get to the start line! If not then I may have to do the half marathon the following week after all as I feel the need of a first medal for the year. We shall see.

Ross
2011-02-13 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks everyone for the support.  Had a great race.  Ran a smart first leg, passed a lot of people on the bike, but didn't blow up and then had probably my best 5k ever.  Set my Garmin to auto lap every 1/2 mile and had negative splits on the 2nd run leg.  Race report is up under Chilly Willy.
2011-02-13 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
David- legs are feeling much better.  Recovery is coming along.  The heel is just still a little tender.  Doesn't bother me biking or swimming so I will be able to rebuild base there while the heel recovers.  Just a twinge is all.

Chris- I forgot it was a duathlon.  Great race!  You had plenty left in the tank at the end to have negative split by that much.  Nice job.

Ross- I think it is time for the first medal of the year too!  Race man, race!! 
2011-02-14 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Good morning everyone.  What's on tap this week?

2011-02-14 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Short spin today.  Doctor's appointment on Wednesday.  Hope to get a couple swims in this week too. 

Anyone have a pr there are close to reaching?
2011-02-14 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Day off after the race.  Worked out well, was able to get some work done around the house.  Bought and installed shelving in our laundry room as my Valentine's Day gift to the wife.  (Before I get blasted, she asked for it.)

I am now 4 weeks away from my next attempt at breaking the 2 hour mark in a half marathon, time to focus on the training and get healthy.  Thinking about switching to Speedplay pedals to see if that helps eliminate the knee pain I am experiencing after long rides.  Any thoughts?
2011-02-15 5:04 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Weight session this morning at surf club then swim in the ocean, short bike ride after work.
I can feel my cycling improving every ride at the moment, getting a decent bike computer has really helped, I seem to be able to consistently stick to 30+ km/hr on the flat now. 

I got an e-mail today confirming that I've got a place in the Noosa Tri this year, got in on the second ballot!!! Woo-hoo!!Cool

http://www.usmevents.com.au/Triathlon___Multi_Sport/Noosa_Triathlon_Multi_Sport_Festival.htm

Edited by copa2251 2011-02-15 5:13 AM
2011-02-15 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Chris, it sounds like bike fit to me. The cleetes are often over looked. When was your last fitting?David, congrats on Noosa!
2011-02-15 11:58 AM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Hello everyone, I have been so out of touch on the boards.  My appologies for not keeping up with all the wonderful things everyone is doing and accomplishing.  I have been thinking of you all and need to go back and catch up on everyone's news.

I just wanted to check in.  I have been getting in my workouts but having a motivation problem. I  updated what I have been doing.  A little bit of each.  S-B-R

I really need to get into the "Zone"!

Hope you all have a great day.

2011-02-15 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Hey Sheila!  The nice weather is going to help with that motivation.  You will find the groove.

So I heard the changes to the Boston Qualifying procedure is going to be announced by the end of the month.  I have my fingers and toes crossed that I will still be qualified after the announcement.  The whole thing the last two years has been brutal.  I have a back up race in September as "last ditch" but would really like not to need it. 

The rumored changes are 0-10 minutes per age group (hope my age group is a 0 ).  The biggest complaints are the women's side but I expect changes to both.  They want 3,000 more slots added if they figure out how to house them.  Last year over 25% of the field was nonqualified runners on sponsored spots (that bothers me the most) so they are looking to reduce that number hopefully.  They already made a rule that you cannot defer to the following year which will also free up many spots. 

We will see but oh the agony of the waiting!!!!

Edited by cbarnes1 2011-02-15 1:59 PM
2011-02-15 5:34 PM

User image

Amsterdam
Hey guys!

Quick training update:
- Sunday, I went for a ~2 hr run along the Amstel river -- which ended at the "Pianola museum" across town (the player-piano museum -- which I've wanted to visit for YEARS!)   ;-)
- Today, I went to the gym for cross training / speedwork.  (Just to mix things up, since all I ever seem to do lately is LSD at 11 min/mile pace.)   I did 1hr 20 mins of random cardio (ellipical/bike/row/stairs) plus 30 minutes of 4/1 run-walk intervals at an ~8:00 min/mile pace for 25 minutes + 5 minutes of steady state on a big incline.   (I can only manage speedwork on a treadmill -- I'm way too lazy to run that fast if the ground isn't moving!)   ;-)

In other news:
- I (finally!) visited the physiotherapist.   He performed some tests on my shoulders, and we made an appointment for early next week, when he's going to take me through the exercises that I'll need!
- I also have an appointment tomorrow w/ a podiatrist to get measured for new orthotics -- since my old ones are 3 years old (and almost have holes in them!)

And finally:
- I've got my first trail race of the season (the 10km Phanos Boscross) this upcoming weekend..   :-)

Anyways..    I hope that you all are having fun w/ your training this week.

Cheers!
Mel
2011-02-15 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3356819

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
grrlrunner - 2011-02-15 6:34 PM Hey guys!

(I can only manage speedwork on a treadmill -- I'm way too lazy to run that fast if the ground isn't moving!)   ;-)

Best comment I've heard about speedwork.  I just did 1000 yard repeats at the track and it sucked.  Good luck on your race! 
2011-02-15 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
I have a love/hate relationship with speework.  It is needed to improve turnover but be careful, speed kills.

Go Mel!!  Anyone else racing this week?
2011-02-16 12:47 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
My HM training plan had 800m repeats on alternate weeks near the end, we don't have a track near us so I measured 400m along a road and ran up and down!

I always wondered if the neighbors would call the police after I'd run past their house 14 times!!! 

2011-02-16 5:00 AM

Haha! I alway feel the same about the speedwork, I wonder if people think I am running away from the scene of a crime when I am going flat out around a residential area.
2011-02-16 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Well, that was quick.  The Boston changes were worst case scenario for me.  Last year's time would have probably got me in, not so much with Surf City's time.  

Hope everyone is well.

2011-02-16 2:54 PM

Bummer man! Such elation at getting the time only to be dashed a week later. Sorry to hear that.
2011-02-16 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
So it looks like 2012 is out but a 3:10 will likely get me into 2013.  I get an extra 5 minutes by turning 40 an this would get me in on an earlier registration group.  Fast fall marathon might do it.  Just a thought.

Thanks Ross.  Boston has been a heartbreaker for me.  I don't dislike the new standards, I just they waited 32 years instead of 31 to change them  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28