BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-03-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3256830

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL

I will be doing my first brick tomorrow - 10k bike, 5k run. Does anybody have any tips for success?

I plan to wear my running tank top under my cycling jersey so that will be an easy clothing change. I'm not timing the transition (yet!) but I guess I will have to change into shorts because I can't imagine running in cycling shorts. I know the tri shorts have a more minimal chamois, but can you really run in those?

~Amanda

2011-03-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3394714

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Amanda,

I dropped the weight training portion of my plan.  On my plan it is scheduled for the 1st workout of the week along with a swim.  I just don't have the time to fit it in.  The last thing I drop from the plan are Swims/Bikes & Runs.  As a "older" AGer it is probably more important for me to incorporate strength training than it is for you.

Regarding the value of weight training what I have found is that there are mixed opinions.  The folks at Endurance Nation say if you want to get faster at swimming/biking and running you should swim/bike and run.  If you want to get better at lifting weights then lift weights.  Likewise, I have heard Brett Sutton say similar things.  On the other hand, Joe Friel and Gordo Byrn really believe in the value of strength training particularly during base training periods.

If you want to incorporate weight training into your program here is a good source of strength training advise for triathletes:  http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/strength_training

atlveg - 2011-03-12 5:40 AM

I REALLY need to work in some sport-specific strength training. I keep saying I will do it, but never do. I have seen plenty of routines out there for triathletes that depend on body weight and functional movements (perfect for me since I can do these at home), but I never pull the trigger! Does anybody else have problems working that into their schedule? I have the time, just not the motivation.

~Amanda

2011-03-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3394715

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

I hope new batteries fix it.

atlveg - 2011-03-12 5:44 AM

Jeff - I'm going to try the new batteries, and if that doesn't work email the friend who gave it to me (he is a serious cyclist and gets all kinds of free stuff from different vendors).

~Amanda

2011-03-12 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3394715

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Amanda,

I use a Garmin 305 Edge.  I suppose it is designed for the bike but it is a GPS so I use it for my running as well.  I purchased it about 1 year into my triathlon training.  I didn't want to spend a ton of $'s so it really fit the bill as an entry level GPS/HRM. 

It comes with a bike mounting kit so when I'm biking it sits on my handlesbars directly in my view.  When I run I hold it in my left hand.  At 1st I thought this was going to be an issue but now if I run without anything in my left hand I feel naked.  It is not designed for swimming however for my OWS's I have put it in a ziploc and placed it under my swim cap.  It worked but I'm not sure how accurate it is (the results where about what I was expecting).  I have the HRM sensor (a strap that goes around your chest) but I don't have the cadence sensor.  Thru my training I have gotten pretty good at judging my cadence on the bike so I really don't need it.

I don't have a trainer and I don't have the cadence sensor so I'm not certain if this particular unit has the capability to measure speed/distance when your bike is on the trainer.  My guess is that it doesn't have that capability.  I do use it to measure HR while I'm indoors on a spinner.

The 305 does not measure power (i.e.. watts).  In fact, I don't think that Garmin has any device that measures power.  I do know that Garmin recently purchased a company that was designing a new powermeter that was suppose to be lower cost than those on the market today.  So I'm holding tight and hoping that they will annouce a much lower cost powermeter.  BTW: if you want a device that measures power on the bike it is going to cost you big $'s (at least by my budget standards).  Powermeters that I'm slightly familar with are the PowerTap from Shimano (which is rear hub on your bike) and the Sram Quarq (which is a crankset on your bike).  Pricing starts around $1K (perhaps you can get it cheaper, I don't know).  Obvious these powermeters are not useful for anything but biking.

atlveg - 2011-03-12 5:44 AM

I have a Garmin 205 for running, and for cycling outside. It is 3+ years old and will need to be replaced soon. Do you have a Garmin that can work indoors on the trainer? Which Garmin do you use? I would like to start looking at power and cadence, but my Garmin doesn't do either of those things (just distance and time) - I know cadence requires the footpod, but I'm not sure how power is measured. Same way?

When I get a new Garmin or similar device, I want to make sure it will fill all my needs for running and cycling.

~Amanda

2011-03-12 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
I know you guys have a couple more questions for me but I gotta run for now - I'll get back to ya later tonight.
2011-03-12 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3394973

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

I'm back - didn't have to run that errand.

Amanda,

My advise is to not go out and hammer the bike or run.  Bike and run at your Steady pace and just get an idea of how it feels.  Given your level of fitness a 6 mile ride on Steady my not fatigue you legs at all?  But test it out and see.

There are a few sensations that I had to get use to while doing bricks:

1) The sensation of going slow initially on the run after getting off the bike.  So I'm biking along at 15-25mph and suddenly I'm off the bike running and things (i.e.. trees, street signs, roads) are going by me but not nearly as fast.  So I push the run pace - not a good idea.

2) The sensation of running on fatigued legs.  Much, much different than running on fresh legs.

3) I ride on aerobars so sometimes my back will be a little stiff when I get off the bike.  Takes a little while on the run for it to loosen up.

4) Running rhythm, it will take me a good mile at least before I can get into my run rhythm.  It is really hard for me to judge how fast I'm running initially off the bike.

Most of all have fun and let us know how it goes.

atlveg - 2011-03-12 2:47 PM

I will be doing my first brick tomorrow - 10k bike, 5k run. Does anybody have any tips for success?

I plan to wear my running tank top under my cycling jersey so that will be an easy clothing change. I'm not timing the transition (yet!) but I guess I will have to change into shorts because I can't imagine running in cycling shorts. I know the tri shorts have a more minimal chamois, but can you really run in those?

~Amanda

2011-03-12 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta

Change of plans. I won't be doing the Hokie Tri this weekend. My dog got out of the house at 4PM, and as of 9PM she is still gone. i have hung fliers everywhere. I will be hanging more tomorrow and walking/running the entire area again in the morning. I need to stick close to home so the brick is the last thing on my mind.

~Amanda (very sad Amanda)

2011-03-12 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3395235

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

O'no.  We had a similar situation with our dog years and years ago.  Lost him one Sunday evening and could not find him all night.  Our dog was a really friendly animal.  We went to the local elementary school the next morning, put up a reward and they ended telling the students.  Kids found him the next day.

I know how heart breaking that can be.  I'm so sorry and hoping you find her tonight.

atlveg - 2011-03-12 9:16 PM

Change of plans. I won't be doing the Hokie Tri this weekend. My dog got out of the house at 4PM, and as of 9PM she is still gone. i have hung fliers everywhere. I will be hanging more tomorrow and walking/running the entire area again in the morning. I need to stick close to home so the brick is the last thing on my mind.

2011-03-12 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3395235

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
atlveg - 2011-03-12 6:16 PM

Amanda, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I've had a dog get out before and I know the feeling....it is awful.  I hope you find her soon. Fingers crossed for you and your dog.

Christi

2011-03-12 9:33 PM

User image

Oh, Amanda...so sorry to hear that...hope you find her soon!
2011-03-14 5:44 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta

Thanks Jeff, Christi, and Mel! She still isn't home, but my sister tracked down an email address for an animal control officer and sent him my 'lost dog' flier yesterday afternoon. A few minutes after she sent the email, he called me to say he picked Roxie up Saturday night and took her to animal control. When I got home I called him back with her rabies tag number, and he said it is a match. They are closed on Sunday, and don't open today until 10am. Until then I remain cautiously optimistic in case there is some sort of a mix up.

~Amanda

2011-03-14 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3396332

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Great news!!

atlveg - 2011-03-14 6:44 AM

Thanks Jeff, Christi, and Mel! She still isn't home, but my sister tracked down an email address for an animal control officer and sent him my 'lost dog' flier yesterday afternoon. A few minutes after she sent the email, he called me to say he picked Roxie up Saturday night and took her to animal control. When I got home I called him back with her rabies tag number, and he said it is a match. They are closed on Sunday, and don't open today until 10am. Until then I remain cautiously optimistic in case there is some sort of a mix up.

~Amanda

2011-03-14 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta

I posted bail around 11am, took down all the signs, and am back at work for a few hours. She was very scared and confused when I saw her in the cage at animal control. Poor baby.

~Amanda

2011-03-14 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3394973

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Amanda,

Running in cycling shorts - I do it.  In fact in all the races I have done prior to getting a Tri suit I ran in my cycling shorts.  I would swim in my jammers get into T1 and put on my cycling shorts, shirt and cycling shoes (cycling shorts overtop my jammers).  When I got off the bike  into T2 I would simply take off my cycling shoes, put on running shoes and off I would go.  Didn't bother me.

None of the races that I have done have had a changing area for taking off swim or cycling clothing.  So I really didn't have much of a choice (other than exposing myself I guess).  Honestly I never paid attention to how the ladies do it in the races that I have participated in (but I can say that I have never seen any naked ladies in the transition areas).

As you mentioned, the Tri suit that I have (one piece) is not padded as much as cycling shorts so it is easier to run in.  So I do all my races in a Tri suit now.

I can't imagine going "old school" and biking in my jammers.

atlveg - 2011-03-12 2:47 PM 

~Amanda

Edited by junthank 2011-03-14 9:01 PM
2011-03-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3397125

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

I'm sure she is happy to be back home. 

atlveg - 2011-03-14 1:57 PM

I posted bail around 11am, took down all the signs, and am back at work for a few hours. She was very scared and confused when I saw her in the cage at animal control. Poor baby.

~Amanda

2011-03-14 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Hey Team,

I did my "Hokie Virtual Tri" on Saturday.  It was not a true race simulation as I originally planned.  I woke up early Saturday morning and there was steam coming off our pool on the lanai so I didn't want to bike wet from the swim for 25 miles.  So I ended up driving to the pool, did the swim, then drove back home and got on the bike nice and dry.  So my T1 time was slow (40 minutes... ha..ha).  Overall I was pleased with the results.  Swim was better than I thought it would be.  Bike was about what I thought it would be.  Run was a little slower than I thought it would be (however, I left a some in the tank and didn't collapse at the end).  9 weeks till race so I happy with where I am.

2011-03-14 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Congrat's go out to Melissa on completing another HM this weekend.  Won't be long and she will be in the Guinness Book of World Records.
2011-03-14 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Congrat's go out to Melissa on completing another HM this weekend.  Won't be long and she will be in the Guinness Book of World Records.
2011-03-14 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
2011-03-14 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3397125

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
atlveg - 2011-03-14 10:57 AM

~Amanda

Amanda....so relieved for you.  Glad it worked out.  

2011-03-14 11:24 PM
in reply to: #3397962

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
junthank - 2011-03-14 7:47 PM

Christi,

Here's one for ya:  http://www.trainstravels.co.uk/2011/03/14/the-hardest-part-of-triathlon-training/

Jeff....I'll check it out tomorrow.  I'm running behind tonight and unfortunately this kind of "running" doesn't count as training.  Sealed

2011-03-15 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3398039

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

As long as your moving Christi everything counts!!

cvochristi - 2011-03-15 12:24 AM
junthank - 2011-03-14 7:47 PM

this kind of "running" doesn't count as training.  Sealed

2011-03-17 8:08 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta

Hey guys. I think I am finally getting back to a normal schedule after the disruption of my dog getting loose!

I have a question about the virtual tri - is it okay if we go over the distance in a few events, but not all the events? For example, i ran 7 miles this morning and plan to do my 750m swim tomorrow. So I am wondering if I can go ahead and throw in a bike either tonight or tomorrow night even though I ran farther than the sprint distance 5k? Also, I might end up cycling more than 20k. The swim is clearly my weakest sport.

2011-03-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3401603

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Glad to see that things are getting back to normal for you.  Pets are members of our families so I'm certain you had a very stressful few days there.

The great thing about the "Virtual Hokie Tri" is that WE are the race directors so WE get to make up the rules.  In that light, more is better, so go for it!!

One other thought, train your limitters (i.e.. swim

atlveg - 2011-03-17 9:08 AM

Hey guys. I think I am finally getting back to a normal schedule after the disruption of my dog getting loose!

I have a question about the virtual tri - is it okay if we go over the distance in a few events, but not all the events? For example, i ran 7 miles this morning and plan to do my 750m swim tomorrow. So I am wondering if I can go ahead and throw in a bike either tonight or tomorrow night even though I ran farther than the sprint distance 5k? Also, I might end up cycling more than 20k. The swim is clearly my weakest sport.

Edited by junthank 2011-03-17 1:07 PM
2011-03-17 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta

"train your limiters" - I know, I know. It is been awhile since I was in the pool, between spring break pool hours and the dog issue getting me off schedule this week. Needless to say, tomorrow is going to be tough!

The only downside of doing the bike tonight is that I will need to do it on the trainer because I can't ride after work in traffic. And, I won't get to do the brick (but I might throw in a few extra running miles tonight if I'm feeling ambitious).

~Amanda

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24