BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-11 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3392956

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
Jacks4life - 2011-03-10 9:56 AM

2 weeks from Saturday. Business trip this week and business trip next week are helping me taper. Everyone please send warm water thoughts. Lake mead Temp today 56 degrees

Man - that is brisk! Seriously, an extra swim cap and booties will help. Enjoy the taper!

<Edited because I can't spell>

Edited by itsallrelative_Maine 2011-03-11 5:39 AM

2011-03-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

NH

Hey everyone, we're home from Cancun.  It was awesome.  Of course.  The ocean water was way warm, and VERY salty.  It's amazing how much buoyancy it adds - I actually felt like I had a wetsuit on in terms of floating.

Lovey - awesome race.  You are a MARATHONER!  A marathon seems like something way beyond, far more than twice a half.  And good to hear your foot may be figured out.  But running through a stress fracture - are you kidding?!?  You must have some serious pain tolerance.

And that temp is seriously cold Wendy.  Here's to hoping it goes way up before race day, but if not, you'll still hammer it.  I second and third the earplugs.  It doesn't make sense, but they really help.  I find the key to cold water is just get your face in there and get past that take-your-breath-away- and-scream-expletive period, and then it's not *quite* so bad.

And for all - we had plenty of Hurricanes and amazing food.  Despite working out plenty I gained 4 pounds.  Time to shed the winter coat and get into running shape!

2011-03-12 3:57 PM

User image

Nevada

It's been pretty quiet on the forum lately. I hope that means the weather is better and you all are taking advantage by getting outside.

Welcome home Warren!!

I went for another dip in Lake Mead today after a short brick workout. I did find, this time, that spending a couple minutes aclimating before I actually "plunged"in helped reduce that "take yourbreath away, scream expletives" period. Feeling much better about it than last week. Off on another business trip tomorrow so next chance to get in will be next Saturday. 

The countdown is on...2 weeks to go...

2011-03-13 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3395060

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Jacks4life - 2011-03-12 4:57 AM

I went for another dip in Lake Mead today after a short brick workout.

For me, the more practice, the less anxiety...the first time I got into our local pond, I swam from the boat dock straight out to the middle, freaked out and struggled back to land. When my feet touched down, I asked my husband how long I had been gone (felt like 30 minutes), he said, "4 minutes." Sigh. I almost threw in the towel at that point - but a good friend of mine said I should just go back out and try it again, as many times as I could before the actual race (she also recommended that I swim around the edges where I could always put my feet down if I freaked out until I was more comfortable - which helped a lot as well). It made all the difference knowing what to expect.

Hope all is well with everyone - it's warm enough here. If we can avoid the rain today, I'm running outside! Woot! (Not quite able to swim outside though - the ice layer on the top of the ponds is a little daunting).

2011-03-13 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3395461

User image

NH

itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-03-13 9:34 AM(Not quite able to swim outside though - the ice layer on the top of the ponds is a little daunting).

HTFU!  

2011-03-14 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3395860

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2011-03-13 6:01 AM

itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-03-13 9:34 AM(Not quite able to swim outside though - the ice layer on the top of the ponds is a little daunting).

HTFU!  

That's what my husband said!

2011-03-14 7:33 PM

User image

Nevada
I have taken race tapering to a new level. In Lodi CA for a business meeting but spent the day visiting vineyards and doing wine tastingsTongue out
2011-03-15 4:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Wendy- Great job on tapering..I like that training plan..I guess when I start my tapering I will have to travel to CA for a tasting adventure.  Let us know how the vineyards are.

Warren- Welcome back!  Hola it is so nice to train and not worry about laying or being cold.  The best part for me about being away is being disconnected from work.  

My weekend started out in extra innings from Friday nights adventures with work, but it was good and I felt really strong on my run yesterday.  Maybe my 3 days out of the gym was a good thing.

2011-03-15 4:08 PM

User image

Regular

Wendy - that's my kind of taper! 

Lovey - a belated congrats on your marathon.  I don't know how you ran through a stress fracture, etc., but way to dig it out!

Today starts a recovery week for me.  My goal is to get in some fun cross-training - all those things I can never find time to do while keeping up training in swim/bike/run. 

I do have two tri things planned, though.  Today was swim time trials - no workout, just a warm-up followed by a timed 500 and 200.  On the 500, I never really felt like I got into a groove (or maybe it was my splasy-swimming lane mate who ensured I never got a good breath to his side).  I was surprised, then, to find my time was 11:50 (avg of 2:22/100).  On the 200, I felt great going out & finished the first 100 in 2:00! (I didn't catch my final time, I'm sure I slowed some, but it still felt good).  Given that I started the season at around 2:45+ per 100 and was working hard to break 2:30 for just a single 100 at a time, this time trial was a most welcome shot in the arm.  

On Sunday, I'll be doing an indoor tri at my gym.  It's just for fun.  I'm looking forward to seeing if I can push just a little bit on the swim & still feel strong in the bike & run. 

happy training, all -

2011-03-16 6:08 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
That's great news with the swim! It's so nice to see improvements - makes it easier to get up for that next workout, huh?
2011-03-16 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Great job on your swim Ally. 

How's your tapering going Wendy??  Have you left the winery yet?

Tomorrow is Guinness Day!  I will only have 1 pint as training, lacrosse and other domestic actives must prevail

2011-03-16 5:54 PM

User image

NH

Those are just amazing swim improvements.  Isn't it fun when things start to come together?

Guinness day?  That sounds made up.   Enjoy...

2011-03-16 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3401013

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2011-03-16 6:54 PM

Those are just amazing swim improvements.  Isn't it fun when things start to come together?

Guinness day?  That sounds made up.   Enjoy...

I wanted All Scotts Day, but wife wouldn't go for it so Guinness Day it is...haha.

2011-03-17 12:44 AM

User image

Nevada

A sad farewell to the vineyards today as we returned home. Unfortunately with 2 10 hour days in the car, 2 days of business meetings, lunches and dinners AND wine tasting, I didn't manage to fit in any workouts at all the last 4 days. I think I need to do some real work tomorrow.

Happy Guinness Day !

Edited by Jacks4life 2011-03-17 12:44 AM
2011-03-17 6:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Happy St. Patricks Day! 

Don't forget to wear yer green, swim suit, bike shorts or running attire today...S/B/R and also have a Guinness...Wink

2011-03-17 8:07 AM

User image

NH

???Happy Guiness Day all.  It's not just for breakfast anymore!

That's a nice forced taper Wendy.  You're going to feel very strong when you get out there.

2011-03-17 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I went out for a St. Patty's day 4 mile run with a local running store. They promised a fun run, free shirt for the first 50 registrants and free beer at the end.

Maintaining my 10K pace was a little hard. Side stitches from a half mile to about the 2 mile mark. I haven't ran in almost 2 weeks due to injury but I pushed on hard as my heart rate shows a high of 174. that thing beeped the whole time.
My ankle felt out of place at the beginning but after a half mile it felt fine. Most of the run was sore-free. Towards the end, it didn't hurt but my left arch felt slight sore. I knew my plantar fasciitis was flaring up due to overcompensating for my stress fracture. After the run, I was limping and the overall foot felt ok. Free beer even though i don't drink beer. Won a free pair of running socks.

I am not pushing it. Doc said a week, I waited 11 days. I plan on resting and icing it before doing another short run on Sunday, about 5 miles. I have 3 weeks until my 10 miler so I am maintaining short runs for another week, then ease into a 6 and 8 miler. I don't think I can race the 10 miler so I am going to just go out there and have some fun.

UPDATE: Today my arch on my left foot is sore. I swear the pain has a mind of its own. Also, my right hip hurts a little. Is that because my gait might be off from injury to my left foot, I have no idea. Resting a couple days and see how it feels.

Edited by Lovey 2011-03-18 9:50 AM
2011-03-19 4:29 PM

User image

Nevada

After 6 days off I jumped right back in today! I have joined a local Tri club and they put on a duathlon today. 1 mile run, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run. I was scheduled for a 90 minute brick workout today so what the heck...why not workout with some others. Was a pretty causal event with about 45 other folks. I fininshed in my 90 minute time frame and felt good. With my event coming up next Sat, the intent was to hold back, which was kinda hard....after I jumped into the lake for some more getting used to COLD water..Yippes!

Hope you all are having good weather and a great weekend!

A short blog about body markings   http://bit.ly/hkmeYi

Edited by Jacks4life 2011-03-19 5:59 PM
2011-03-19 11:14 PM

Burlington

Hello to all! I've been thinking of you all, and just got caught up on posts here, but not yet caught up on training posts or messages.

Congratulations, Lovey, on your marathon! That is awesome!!!

Wendy, congrats on your 'fun' triathlon - it sounds more intense than the triathlons I did while in Puerto Rico: biking, snorkeling, drinking. Smile

Hurray to Ally and her swim times!

I am putting a call out for extra moral support (if you in fact extend that to people who went to warmer climates) in the coming couple of weeks. While I did a little biking, a little hiking and a little swimming while on vacation, I did only one real workout (50 minutes on an elliptical) ...and then I came home and got horribly sick and missed all workouts this past week. So in a sense, until I got on the bike today, I hadn't done a proper workout in nearly 2 weeks. I *can* recover from that, right?

I am supposed to do the Spring Fling next weekend, but am feeling like I should go run a 5K all by myself instead on a track somewhere so that I don't have to experience such a crappy time in public so early in my training process. (In Vermont, it's tough to *not* run into people you know while at race events, and times get posted in the newspaper, blah, blah, blah -- nice to have community, but not when they see how slow I am!)

Looking forward to getting caught up on everyone's training logs and blogs.....

2011-03-20 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
The weather outside is awesome.

i had a nice easy paced run this morning. The gang did 10 miles but i opted to do 4. As my state of healing, slow and easy is better. As much as I wanted to run more, I know it was a wise decision.

i hope everyone can get outside. I can't wait to start biking again.
2011-03-20 5:09 PM

User image

NH

Lovey, that's great discipline.  Making sure you're recovered is important, so holding back even as you start to feel better is a great decision.

The weather is starting to break for sure.  Though I think I prefer this weekend's weather to hot summer days.  Low 40s is my ideal running temp as I tend to overheat easily.  I've started doing some faster running within my runs, to get ready for my half marathon coming up in 6 weeks.

2011-03-24 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Hey Gang,

The boards been pretty quite...I wanted to shre this swimming site I came across.  http://www.swimplan.com  Once you register it will give you different workout plans to use.  I finally made it to the pool today.  No shoulder pain as I am trying to use the new stroke technique.  I felt good and did manage to go 1500yds. 

How is everyones week been?

2011-03-24 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I ran 5 miles on Tuesday. Today I rested since it is my son's birthday.

I have checked out www.swimplan.com before. Since my foot isn't 100%, I am going back to swimming this weekend.
I will either do the drills I use to do in my swim class or the swim zero to one mile workout.

I hope everyone else is doing ok. I think the weather got nice, everyone ran outdoors and forgot to come back in to check in with the boards.

Happy Trails
Lovey
2011-03-25 8:32 AM

User image

NH

Scott - Glad to hear the shoulder felt good and great job on the swimming.   I love that site and use it to get pool workouts and paces.  I  also use Mr. Smooth (www.swimsmooth.com) - check him out as well.

Lovey - Way to keep listening to your body and doing what it allows.

Good luck to Wendy racing tomorrow.

Kim - are you doing the 5k/10k race?  If so, good luck.

And here's to Jennifer, who is about to start her TAPER for the half next weekend!!!!!!!

2011-03-25 4:10 PM

User image

Nevada

Thanks Warren,

Now I know why I should have taken today off work, not to make sure I'm rested but cuz I can't concentrate!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23