BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-02-17 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3360772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
jordiebrigs - 2011-02-17 7:03 PM And, it has been rather quiet in here.  Wilson must be planning our demise. Have you seen the movie Facebook Killer? Just sayin.

Hey, looks like it has been quiet...wow...yesterday was super busy and I was exhausted at the end and just chilled.  Having all three kids in activities and running around without the assistance of wifey is much harder....She'll be home tomorrow..

Funny Jordan....facebook killer....haha....I would hope I could create something that is better named than that.....haha...Yep, I've been planning, scheming and buying supplies....haha...oh yeah and reinforcing my dungeon and adding sound proofing materials....haha..I guess I better do something with the 4-4foot windows down there..  Nope, sorry - just been busy. 

2011-02-17 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Okay, so before I put the girls to bed I want to get the pulse of the group on what I'm leaning towards experimenting with.....read on Hilde...it's not that.  Okay, I've been talking to some folks about barefoot running or at least minimalistic footwear.  So after doing some research and talking to people....remember, I'm an Engineer so all the geeking stuff interests me....I'm going to buy a pair of Vibram fivefingers shoes.  All the research looks pretty damn convincing and honestly I think God did pretty good with the human body design and it just makes sense to run barefoot...or nearly barefoot.  This is a crazy crazy departure from my normal thinking...I may be ready to hug a tree, recycle or becoming a vegan.......NOT...anyhow this barefoot thing really has me intrigued.  If you wanna know what the hell I'm thinking about - do some barefoot running/ vibram fivefingers research on youtube to see the videos of tests...pretty cool.  So I'm thinking about purchasing these and start conditioning my body to do this........The only reservation is that it may take a month or so to get the kinks worked out...and then I'll be faster than ever...my first tri is about 2 mos away...so worried a bit about messing that up some...dunno....you guys chime in!!!

Here are the new shoes I'm thinking about....go ahead and laugh...I did...but the data is very intriguing.  Thoughts????  And darn...I just spent $120 on my new kicks.......we'll see.

2011-02-17 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
You should definitely do it.  I've heard and read so many positive things about them. People who have had pain in knees and joints while running don't have them anymore after wearing them.  I also heard to start slow with them, because they may be uncomfortable at first since we are not used to running bare foot.  Good luck with what ever you decide!
2011-02-17 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Please BE CAREFUL if you try to switch to the (nearly) barefoot running - I have seen several attempted converts as patients. Although it seems like a good theory, its HARD for the body that is SO used to functioning in shoes to go to barefoot function. Although we were born to be barefoot we all have 20-30-40-50+ years of functioning in shoes and (good, bad or otherwise...) that is the new "normal" for your body.
2011-02-17 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3360949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Marsha, I plan on taking my sweet time...but - I have to ask.....what were the mistakes your patients made???  I've been doing lots of research.....the overall learning is go real slow!
2011-02-17 11:52 PM
in reply to: #3357330

User image

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2011-02-16 5:03 AM Ugh on the swim water, Tammy.... the other Tammy and I did a sprint last year at the Texas Ski Ranch (obviously not snow skiing)... they have this set up for water skiiers, boogie boarders and such, and the water is nasty, DOES taste like fuel, even though there are no boats in the water.  Ha ha, we're talking about doing it again!  There's a little island in the middle of it, there are goats on it... do goats swim?

How iffy is stand by???  Would hate for you not to get a flight out!!  So if YOU fly free, does your BIKE fly free too?? 

I am sooo sooo excited about all the MMMer's that are coming!!  Wilson's Harem!!  But he'll share with Shawn if he can make it out...

Well, the bike will have to pay its own way :-)  I'm thinking Southwest, because I hear they only charge $50 or so for bikes. And I can pretty much always get where I need to go, since I can ride in the cockpit in a pinch.

I'm fully in favor of fueling with carbs, Hilde... bring on the chocolate!! Maybe if you save the carbs for before/during exercise, it won't interfere with your diet- you'll just burn 'em off. 

And as for those shoes, Wilson, proceed with caution. Our feet were made for barefoot running, but since they haven't been used for that for a few decades, they're just not ready for it any more. I switched to Newton's last year to kinda split the difference, and I've been VERY happy with the results- I got faster, and I can run more with fewer injuries. I had to ease into them gradually, though- they use different muscles. Maybe it would make sense to wear the foot condoms Vibrams for everything BUT running for a few weeks first to get used to it? 

Oh, and if you go with the 5 fingers, be prepared for the public reaction! A guy in my Krav studio wears them, and every new person who comes in stops in their tracks and asks "What the he11 is that on your feet?!" 

2011-02-18 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3361115

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wilson, if you haven't already you should read, "Born to Run" which is a huge advocate of the barefoot running phenomenon.  It's like a documentary, but a fascinating read.  I was all set to try it out after reading it, so I tried running around the block in water shoes just to see how it would feel, that was enough for me!  Felt like I was really pounding the pavement, but in all honesty I really didn't give it a fair shot.  That said, I know people that swear by the Vibrams, and then some that kind of use them on and off.  One drawback might be the time it takes to get them on in transition... there was a girl that ran the last half marathon in them.

It's supposed to take quite awhile to get used to them, as you do use different muscles, supposedly you'll really feel them in your calves.  I remember  reading on BT how it took months for some people just to work up to running 3 miles in them.  It might take longer if you are wearing stability shoes now?

That said, they ARE weird looking, I'd love to see the footprints you leave behind on the trail, BIG FOOT (after all if the schlong is gigantic, well your feet must be too!)...  our computer tech at school wears them almost all the time.  He says he just likes to be barefoot, he's not really a runner.  Of course he sports a full beard on and off and currently has his hair in a pony tail ala Pebbles...

We'll all be watching your logs Wilson to see how you like 'em!! 

I totally forgot that we'll all get to see your torture chamber!!!!  Um, the princess beds are not down there are they???
2011-02-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3355359

User image

Expert
jordiebrigs - 2011-02-14 9:41 PM
wrkinprogress - 2011-02-14 9:33 PM I laughed mightily at the T-shirt, Hilde: thanks for my one chuckle of the day!

And yeah, gang, I'm wrking on the Indy tri weekend-- will let you know ASAP... it sounds like an utter blast for sure! (Hey Wilson and Jordie-- any chance either of you will come up/down to Chi-town for the tri there? It's a huge keg o' tri madness!

MMMers are awesome. I'm just sayin'.

That's an idea.  I don't have a tri for August. And I could do the Oly there instead of June. I think I would feel more confident about that.  Consider this a strong probably.   

W000T! Bring it, girlfriend! I'll do it if you do... (said enticingly) Laughing
2011-02-18 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3356935

User image

Expert
wsilverthorne - 2011-02-15 7:11 PM
wrkinprogress - 2011-02-14 10:33 PM I laughed mightily at the T-shirt, Hilde: thanks for my one chuckle of the day!

And yeah, gang, I'm wrking on the Indy tri weekend-- will let you know ASAP... it sounds like an utter blast for sure! (Hey Wilson and Jordie-- any chance either of you will come up/down to Chi-town for the tri there? It's a huge keg o' tri madness!

MMMers are awesome. I'm just sayin'.

Hey Alex, I think I would be game.  When is it?  The wifey loves spending time in Chicago.  I could make it a fun weekend for me and her.  That'd be cool!  By the way...you had me at keg o'tri madness.....ME LIKES BEER!!! 

W000T!! It's August 28th, and I know of several pubs in Chicago that serve excellent beer! Laughing
2011-02-18 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hey, got another pair of new kicks!!!!  The Vibrams...Had to take a few shots for you guys...since they are so damn weird.

Wilson's New Shoes

I picked the wifey up from the airport and told her what I wanted to go buy....I had to explain it to her twice....She thinks I've completely lost it......It went something like this  --  "Welcome home honey....by the way I'm gunna start barefoot running and I need some shoes to help me get there".....You should have seen the look on her face. haha  LMAO 
2011-02-18 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Shawn, excellent plan of me being down in the basement and you play my double up stairs...I think the wifey would love that!!!!  And of course I'd have all the girls to myself....to show the the dungeon of pain!!!  haha....

Turtle, Marsha, Hilde, I promise to take it easy in the new kicks....I'm gunna take it SLOW AND EASY!!!  They feel pretty cool on my feet....my small toe isn't quite made to fit in a toe condom glove.   

Hilde, I downloaded the audio book "Born to Run" last night....I've listened to a little bit. It is pretty interesting so far.  Oh yeah Hilde my shoe size was 45!!!!  And 45 is a lot of SHOE!!! haha  I'm going to move the princess beds downstairs....just for you Hilde....the torturous treats I'm contemplating are delightful!  

Alex, I'll check the schedule and talk with the wifey about Aug 28th....She may really like that idea!  I'll let you know.

Whew, now i'm gunna walk around a bit..whew!

2011-02-18 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3360982

User image

Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-02-17 9:55 PM Marsha, I plan on taking my sweet time...but - I have to ask.....what were the mistakes your patients made???  I've been doing lots of research.....the overall learning is go real slow!

SORRY, I haven't been on to answer until now ut, I see you already got them! You're looking snazzy! LOL! Most of the patients I have seen with problems related to these have had hip, knee, or low back pain since ramping up mileage. It is all related to muscle imbalance. MOST runners are too weak on the lateral hip (hip abductors) and these muscles can not keep up with the strength and power of the front hip muscles (hip abductors) so there is an imbalance. This results in the leg responding in a certain way when it is loaded from the ground up. When you suddenly change the way the leg is loaded you change the requirements of muscles that aren't functioning 100% due to imbalance and that leaves you with pain. Kinda hard to explain over the computer... I hope you will be one of the few with no problems!
2011-02-18 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I don't want to start any kind of political debate, but there's huge protests going on here right now involving our governor. I just wanted to put a picture up of the inside of our state capitol. I just think it's pretty awesome.  Wednesday there were 10,000. Thursday there were 25,000. Today there were 40,000 people gathered protesting.  There is a lot of tension going on. 

(4d5ec57c42a1d.image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
4d5ec57c42a1d.image.jpg (47KB - 7 downloads)
(0KB - 9 downloads)
2011-02-18 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Oh, and just some advice for the fella's. Don't wear light yellow, short, loose fitting swim trunks while swimming. I saw way to much of my neighbor in the lane next to me today.
2011-02-18 11:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wilson - nice shoes! I LOVE the color! And those calves - so shapely! Wish I had curves like that!
2011-02-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3362731

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh Wilson, now you've got me hot and bothered with those pictures of your sexy legs!  I love the colors of your shoes, they would match my bike!

Jordan, I haven't read about all the details of what's going on in Wisconsin, but isn't there stuff about teachers going on?  We're having huge budget cuts in education in Texas.... the district is taking any and all suggestions of where to make budget cuts, and of course as a music teacher, I hope I don't lose my job!!  Our district is VERY pro-arts, so I don't THINK I have anything to worry about...

2011-02-19 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3362857

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
hildekq - 

Jordan, I haven't read about all the details of what's going on in Wisconsin, but isn't there stuff about teachers going on?  We're having huge budget cuts in education in Texas.... the district is taking any and all suggestions of where to make budget cuts, and of course as a music teacher, I hope I don't lose my job!!  Our district is VERY pro-arts, so I don't THINK I have anything to worry about...

It will effect the teachers in the public sector and all state employees. They've been covering it on MSNBC. I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've ever watched that channel and been interested in it.

So I have my long run today, 7 miles and it is back to freezing out! It's 27 today. Brrr! And we have a snow warning again. Can't it just be spring already?

Hope everyone has a good weekend! 
2011-02-21 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3363031

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Uh oh, we'd fallen to page 2!!  Hope everyone is having a nice long weekend, at least those of us who are not working on this FEDERAL HOLIDAY!! 

So sorry for all you FFNers that are having winter weather again... will it ever end?? 

Congrats to our man, Shawn on getting a new job!

Sending hugs and love to our sickos (I mean physically sick, not the Wilson type of sick, LOL) and our injured.  Thankfully it's off season even though many of us are racing...

Long run for me today... I am procrastinating... I will be eating carbs this week, so I expect the scale to go up a bit, but I know I need to start getting ready for my half marathon on Sunday... Tammy and I will be driving up to Ft. Worth on Saturday, I'm looking forward to the girlie time!  And it's always good to be around someone that actually WANTS to talk about triathlon, ha ha!

Have a great week everyone!!!
2011-02-21 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
W000T! Go Hilde on the girlie/tri-talk/HM weekend to come! Congrats on the new job, Shawn!

As for me, I've the prospect of a decadent weekend in NYC to look forward to-- my sister and I are meeting up there (and we'll meet up with some friends) to celebrate my birthday. Yay! So I'm trying to be conscientious this week so I can blithely ignore training this weekend... Laughing

Have a great week, everyone!
2011-02-21 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Wilson, I love my five fingers.  I have 2 pair, but switched to a pair of Nike Frees for the winter, cause MAN your feet can get cold in those.  My next five finger purchase will be either the Flows (neoprene baby!) or a pair of Bikala's.  Course, I have to get money first.....
2011-02-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3364787

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I'm not sick Hilde.....maybe a little F'd up...but not sick...maybe a little sick...okay - a little.  Glad you enjoyed my sexy legs..haha...Things do look bigger in pictures!!!  Just sayin'

Shawn - big congrats on the new job....and we'll forgive you for slackin' on the workouts...now get your A$$ busy!

Alex - hope you enjoy the weekend with the sis and friends!!  Be a good girl - don't visit any.....you know....Hilde type establishments.  AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Jen, do you run in the five fingers???  You have two pairs - cool.  I should have gotten the black pair...the blue and white are almost like neon signs...very noticeable.  I'm trying to come up with a real funny story for when someone asks me about them.

Hope everyone week is going okay...Hilde, Peggy and the rest of government employees had the day off!!!!!  WTF.... I had to work all day today....But I do get Good Friday off.....and then Better Monday!!!!  Wow, that's the next holiday......eeek.

2011-02-21 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey! This is probably my last check-in before the trip...unless I get a chance to pop in quick tomorrow. Hope you all have a great week!
2011-02-22 12:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey, at least three of you guys are leaving for trips... Hope you all have an amazing time! Hilde, good luck on the HM. Cowtown - the 10k - was my first race EVER, 20 years ago. Alex, happy birthday! And Marsha, have fun on your vacation! Me, I'm just chillin' in Des Moines for a day and a half, to remind myself why I live in AZ!
2011-02-22 9:45 AM

Veteran
Just got back from a fabulous weekend at Black Butte Resort by Bend and Sisters and thought of Wilson during my run . . . I'm crunching through a thin layer of ice to the snow below with each step and I start seeing footprints. As I'm running I'm drifting in and out of making sense and also saw deer prints, steaming deer nuggets, and many bunny tracks. Then I think "what idiot is running in bare feet in this weather?". I finally stop and bend over only to realize it is someone wearing VFFs in the 13 degree weather running in the ice and snow. Not my cup of tea.

-k
2011-02-22 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Guys, I just got in from the awards banquet tonight...I have catching up to do on here and inspires...

I collected some corporate bling tonight - this is probably the best award I've won in my working career and is extremely near and dear to my heart.

Tonight I won the "Engineering Inspirational Leadership of the Year" award for Rolls-Royce Corporation (jet engines, not cars)...I'm so stoked!!!  This is just one step in my Journey to change corporate americas people culture!!!!  This was awarded primarily for my team's performance cultivated out of servant leadership but also for my personal achievements in becoming more fit and inspiring my group to become more fit.  Funny thing is that they said I inspired them.....maybe, but they inspired me in the first place!!!!

Okay, gotta go into work early tomorrow to finish up my end of year reviews......eeeek.....So off to bed...with nice dreams! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70