BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-05-25 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3276373

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

haha.  I'd trade with you (except for the rain part!)  I can always bundle up.  You can only take so much stuff off before you get arrested!

2011-05-25 5:26 PM

Veteran
Indiana

Haven't checked in for a while - busy weeks. Have generally kept up with my training pretty well, with one or two exceptions. Looking back on my training logs, the things I've been missing most are high-intensity rides on my road bike (especially longer rides), and longer endurance swims. For cycling, I have not had great luck with the weather and have wound up with more trainer and spin class rides - plus a number of 'family rides' pulling kids in the trailer.

This week I am out of town for work, which is a mixed bag. Yesterday was a lot of time in airports and on planes and in meetings, one of those brutal 18 hour days and no real opportunity to exercise. Much better today though - just one meeting for one hour, and the rest of the day free. Took advantage with a treadmill run in the hotel workout room, long walk to the local Y here where I had a long swim, a bunch of stretching, 25 minutes on the stationary bike, and a long walk back. I do have one more meeting coming up, but will probably get some weight lifting in before bed time. Tomorrow will be more busy with work, but should be able to get in a nice long run and maybe a quick swim.

The killer on business trips is trying to eat healthy. At home I am used to eating high volumes of fresh produce, moderate amounts of proteins and fats, and minimal carbs. Trying to eat in a convention district is the polar opposite of that - massive carbs and fats, moderate proteins, and minimal fresh produce. So far I have managed to stay within my program, but it is not easy.

My first tri is coming up soon - June 11. It is a sprint - 450m in a quarry, 12mi on roads, and 3.2 mi on forest paths. Not sure how ready I am - physically I think I am good, probably the best shape I've been in my life. Where I don't feel ready is the logistics - being organized, having my stuff together, transitions, etc. There was a transition practice at my Y this week, but this business trip killed that for me. I still don't have a number belt, and there may be some additional gear I lack. Would appreciate any suggestions or links you have to help with this.

Edited by alath 2011-05-25 5:28 PM
2011-05-25 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3513252

St. Paul

Jeannie - thanks for the stretch tip and the exercises. I've actually been doing that it band stretch - someone taught me that in pilates class of all things... but the other exercises sound like a good idea too. The swelling has gone down on my knee.

Mary

2011-05-25 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3513734

St. Paul

Was on a great bike ride today -despite the wind (i'm in the same weather pattern as spd) seems to be about 50 degrees today. sigh.

Unfortunately right at the end I completely broke my derailer. Of course the bike is about 35 years old, and it's the original derailer, so I guess I shouldn't complain. So I'm off to the bike shop to see if they can replace it.

Mary

2011-05-26 5:56 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Good Luck bakerswife on the bike repair, hopefully they get you fixed up and back on the road soon!

Good to see you back Alath! I too have a race that same weekend though mine is just a Duathlon of 5k/18mile/5k. Hope your trip goes well and you get some good training in.

Well I'm off for a 3 mile run, later today 19 mile bike ride. Happy Training all!

2011-05-26 8:36 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Sorry have been awol since the tri, but only had wifi at restauranst while I was down at the beach, nice to unplug for a bit.  But it kind of hurt me too as I came back in to town tuesday and found I had to do a 60 page background info packet for an application so I've been doing that in my free time the last two days.  Today is a trip to columbia to drop it off then some normalcy can resume.  Not sure what I am going to be doing training wise as I leave for a trip to Ireland in 2 weeks so I am debating just running different distances and speeds from here until then just to try to get my speed up, any thoughts?

SFD156-  That sucks about the cold, although we hit 100 degrees in SC yesterday with humidity I'd take that any day over cold.  I hate the cold with a passion stick it out you'll get to warm and sunny

alath-  My advice is only take what you plan to actually use and lay it out in sequencial order.  I had a bag that I was able to throw my googles and swim cap in then picked my bike stuff up right off the top, put your helmet first since you can get dq'd if it isn't on and strapped down.  got back and threw that stuff into the bag and grabbed the shoes and went.  The transitions were alot less nerve racking than I thought it was going to be just get there early enough to set it up.

Have a good training day y'all

2011-05-26 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Well ended up not doing 19 miles but instead went ahead and did 20, i mean what's 1 more mile right? It was a great ride considering the heavy wind gust we have today but temperature was great. So 3 mile run and 20 mile bike ride. Might throw in some Yoga tonight.

Tripopo - Good to see you back! Hope your runs go well!

Happy Training All!

2011-05-27 7:01 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Anybody got races this weekend?
2011-05-27 7:20 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

No but I got a nasty 25M Bike/7 Mile run Brick LOL

Rest day today for me in preperation of my Brick tomorrow.

Happy Training All and Happy Memorial Weekend! Have a Safe Time!

2011-05-27 9:15 AM

St. Paul

Yikes- i just looked at my training schedule and realized that i have only 4 weeks til my tri... and I 'm going to be on vacation for one of those weeks. When I look at the schedule from the 13 week plan I downloaded here, I realize that the schedule has the peak week  (245 minutes) for the week I'm on vacation. aaagghhh! (mild panic... remember if you need to walk, just walk, don't hurt yourself. the goal is to finish and not hurt yourself. caaaaalllmmm down...

So here's a question:

Week 9 - 205 minutes (that's this coming week)

Week 10 of the plan (week I'm on vacation) is 245 minutes total. I know I'm not going to be able to bike or swim that week, so there's no way I'm making those minutes.

Week 11 - 215 minute,

Week 12 - 115 minutes

Week 13 - 45 minutes and the race.

So I'm pretty sure I will be able to run during that vacation week - could probably even run every day. I think I've heard that if you miss a week, you should not try to add those minutes, but it's just so close to the race. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mary

2011-05-27 11:50 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
You could do a couple of different things I guess, add a couple of more runs in just to make sure that you are good to go on the run, switch a week with the peak week, are you staying at a hotel on your vacation?  if they have a fitness room/closet they will most likely have a stationary bike, not ideal but use what you can get, otherwise just realize life sometimes takes precedence and enjoy yourself and not worry about it too much.  It's not going to make or break your tri performance if you miss a week.  But i'm a noob too so I could be completly off base Laughing

2011-05-27 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3521321

Lexington OH

Tripopo - 2011-05-27 8:01 AM Anybody got races this weekend?

Hey Guys:

I'm doing my very first 5k this weekend.  My plan wasn't to do a 5k until early August, but this event came up and it's put on by my church to support a teen mission trip to Haiti.  Very good cause!  I was sort of talked into it, and I know I'm not ready.  The longest I've ever run so far is 2.2 miles, so that's 2/3 of what I have to do.  As long as I finish and don't get passed by the walkers (who are starting 15 minutes after the runners) then I guess I'll be happy.  It will give me a gauge as to how close August 6th is.  I'm treating it as a training run.. Laughing

2011-05-27 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3521611

Lexington OH
bakerswife - 2011-05-27 10:15 AM

Yikes- i just looked at my training schedule and realized that i have only 4 weeks til my tri... and I 'm going to be on vacation for one of those weeks. When I look at the schedule from the 13 week plan I downloaded here, I realize that the schedule has the peak week  (245 minutes) for the week I'm on vacation. aaagghhh! (mild panic... remember if you need to walk, just walk, don't hurt yourself. the goal is to finish and not hurt yourself. caaaaalllmmm down...

So here's a question:

Week 9 - 205 minutes (that's this coming week)

Week 10 of the plan (week I'm on vacation) is 245 minutes total. I know I'm not going to be able to bike or swim that week, so there's no way I'm making those minutes.

Week 11 - 215 minute,

Week 12 - 115 minutes

Week 13 - 45 minutes and the race.

So I'm pretty sure I will be able to run during that vacation week - could probably even run every day. I think I've heard that if you miss a week, you should not try to add those minutes, but it's just so close to the race. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mary

If it were me, I'd do what I could on vacation week, and add more time to the following two weeks, but keep your rest/taper week intact.  But I would defer to a coach's opinion if I were you.

Good Luck, and have a blast on vacation!!!   The goal is to finish and ENJOY!!

2011-05-27 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3522216

User image

Coastal Carolina
Good luck Viking!
2011-05-28 8:03 AM

Extreme Veteran

Good luck Viking! You've probably already finished the race as I type this.  You shouldn't have a problem finishing a 5K at your current distance.

Mary, I would just run.  I'm on vacation right now too (left Thursday night) for a Memorial Weekend so 4-5 days with no bike and swim.  I using the opprotunity to beef up my run volume a bit.  At this point my guess is that your swim form and bike form are going to be pretty close to what it will be like for the race.  It's just a matter of endurance and while biking and swimming exercise different muscle groups, running should still help in terms of overall endurance.  At least that's what I tell myself for now!

2011-05-28 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Well Hope your 5k was all you had hoped it would be Viking, please let us know!

I finished my Brick. I mixed it up a little and made it like a Du. I started off with a 4 mile run at a moderate pace, it felt fine. Jumped on the bike and did 27 miles, made sure I hydrated plenty and made sure I had Gu to help me get through the Bike and to help for 2nd run. After bike I took off on a 3 mile run. It took about the first half mile to get my running legs back. That Bike/Run transition is definitely one to get used too. Overall I was pretty happy with my performance for a training Brick. I did start to feel my chest again in the second run. Figure it's just still some of that lovely congestion lingering around but it has got a lot better. Well that is it for me. Going to get a 32 mile bike ride in tomorrow.

Happy Training All! And Happy Memorial Weekend!

2011-05-28 2:46 PM

Lexington OH

I Must Be Crazy:

Now I know why you plan your training and stick to it.  As part of my tri training and overall training plan, I wasn't scheduled to run my very first ever 5k until August 6.  My focus has been on the bike, with the ultimate goal of doing Cycle North Carolina the first week of October.  A few weeks ago, a missions team heading to Haiti in June, decided to have a 5k run/walk/jog race to raise some funds for this team.  It was scheduled for today, and I decided I'd give it a go.  With this decision, and the race only two weeks away, and struggling with some allergies, I eeked out some very meager running workouts on the treadmill, never beeing able to run more than 1/4 mile at a time.  When today started, I was going on not a lot of sleep, and was running late.  I got there, saw the big crowds, hustled to pick up the pre-registration packet, get my HR monitor on, my running socks, and shoes on, use the restroom, and get to the starting line.  I had 3 minutes to warm-up, so basically did some running in place, some jumping jacks, and some stretching, and about the time I got toward the end of the mass of runners lined up at the gate, I had 10 seconds before the gun went off.  No time to worry about how stupid this is, just GO FOR IT!! .. 

Started off pretty well, kept pace around a 12 min mile for about the first 1/2 mile and then I checked my HR monitor watch.  I immediately started walking.  My heart rate had never gotten this high, this fast.  I knew it was going to be a long day, so I finished walking to the bottom of hill, turned the corner, and my heart sank.  The first "real" hill, and I started thinking that this is going to kill me.  I made a decision that I would run for 1 minute, and walk for 1 minute and try to save enough for the last 1/2 mile to try and run the 1/2 mile continuously.  5 big hills later, a numbing feeling in my left foot, and a heart rate that finally settled comfortably in my zone, I passed the two mile mark.  I stopped, slid down the knee brace, loosened my shoe string on my numbing foot, did some stretching and jumping to get some feeling back, and took off.  Around the 1/2 mile to go mark, I decided I was just going for it.  when I hit the finish line, my HR was at 95% of MAX, but the pain in my legs were gone and I had finished strong.  I looked at my time, and realized that I had missed my target by 28 seconds, which was the amount of time I took to get the feeling back in my foot.  All in all, not bad for a guy's first 5k, having never been a runner, and having lost 42 pounds from last year, where I couldn't walk a mile without passing out.

Race: Hustle for Haiti  
2011-05-28 7:27 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Way to go Viking!!!! Awesome performance for a first race!! I too am a "non runner" struggling with this insanityTongue out I've talked myself into trying......you are an inspiration.
2011-05-28 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Nice job Viking!!
2011-05-29 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Excellent job Viking!  I've had many of those workouts that you are describing, and to have one like that during a race and gut your way through it just awesome.  With all the distractions a race brings it sounds like you did a great job of getting back on track and hitting your goal, less one pit stop.

2011-05-31 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Did weights this morning, Yoga tonight. Hope everyone is recovering from the weekend well Laughing

Happy Training All!

2011-05-31 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

OK, here is a sort of stream of thought posting.  I'm really struggling at the moment.  I have some sort of minor injury in my right calf that is just bad enough to make anything more than a 1.5 mile run impossible, so that ticks me off.  My Dad died two weeks ago and I have been traveling to Chicago (5 hours away) for the last three weekends and every other weekend for 3 months prior so I feel like I have hardly been home.  I've only gotten four workouts done in the last two weeks.  Ironically the break hasn't been enough for my calf to heal...  And summer has finally arrived in St Louis so it will now be hot and muggy until September.  And when you're as well insulated as I am hot and muggy is not good for triathlon training. 

On the upside I've been reading Slow, Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams.  She has such a refreshing and positive outlook on life it is a joy to read.  And she also has great perspective on the long term nature of turning a slow, fat couch potato into a slow, less fat triathlete this book is a must read I think for anyone starting out in this sport.  And no, you don't have to be slow and fat to appreciate this book.  So I am trying to internalize the lesson of her book (that this is all about fitness AND fun, and the process takes a long time with many peaks and valleys so be patient) but patience is not one of my strong suits. 

I need a kick in the @#$ to get myself back in the groove, I'm getting one tonight when my masters swimming group starts, I'm asking for another one from you guys.  Please check my logs and yell at me when I don't work out, I'm going to try to get back to logging my nutrition so yell at me about that too (I love ice cream...).  I'm trying to find a balance on working out with this leg issue but that is no excuse to not go do something other than running, right?  I need some accountability, anyone is welcome to join the party.  Thanks guys and have a great day.

2011-05-31 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Dnoble, sorry to hear about your calf issues. Have you incorporated any kind of calf stretches before and after your runs? There are a few of them i do but mainly after my runs and then of course Yoga stretches them very well. Might try a foam roller as well to massage them after a run. As far as the heat goes, I hear you on that. I am just south of you in Arkansas and the humidity is already getting unbearable. I find I am having to start my runs well before 6 am and I will continue to do that until I am forced to the dreadmill (which I hate). Hang in there Dnoble, we will hopefully keep you motivated and moving forward. I will have to check out this book you refer to. I read as much on this sport and running in general as possible. So I am always looking for another good read, thanks.
2011-05-31 9:40 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Sorry for your loss dnoble.

I'll try to keep you honest on your training haha.

As for me, I need to get back into it, the idea of just running isn't going to work so I'm starting a run focused 2x week plan today so 3 runs 2 bikes/2swims.  Hopefully that will help my running times without me going bonkers just running.

South Carolina heat and humidity is in full effect mid 90's in temp and humidity today...  gotta hydratre at work then a run tonight

2011-05-31 10:12 AM

Extreme Veteran

Sorry for you loss dnoble and I hope you feel better soon.  Try not to push your injury too far.  Listen to what your body is telling you.  Could the calf injury be related to shoes?

As for training in the heat, I'm right there with you.  I really don't enjoy it and being Florida it gets up to the upper 80s with lots of humidity early in the morning.  Still what motivates me is an article I read about how athletes that train in warmer conditions outperform athletes that only train in cooler temps.  Keeps me motivated.  Of course it also requires more preparation.  Pre-hydrating, staying hydrated, keeping cool, and nutrition for longer workouts.

Keep at it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29