BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-01 1:47 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Originally posted by RZ0

Ran a 5K today. Goal time was 24:04, a 7:45 pace, with a stretch goal of 7:30 pace. I timed myself at 24:05, which is right where I wanted to be. The official time was six seconds longer - the time to get to the start line. So I made goal or close, depending on how you look at it.
Either way, I'm where I wanted to be, more or less. Also :30 faster than my previous personal best, which is OK for a 52-year-old.
WTG!!

2013-06-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

Thanks much - turtles rock!
2013-06-01 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Well today was a mixed bag of good and bad. Due to recovering from a hip injury I'm doing more volunteer work and only three races this year. Today I volunteered at my all time favorite road race, The Dam to Dam 20k distance. My post was right at the finish line cheering on the runners as they crossed into the finish area and making sure they didn't need immediate medical attention. I saw a lot different emotions from the runners as they finished the race. I was even honored to be able to cheer on several of my friends as they finished. I also named out a few medals. Towards the cut off time I was cheering them on and congratulating them on a strong finish. Normally I would want to race this one but I really enjoyed my time as a volunteer.

After 5 hours I headed back to my car only to discover that someone had busted out the back window and there was glass everywhere. I was upset (trying to keep it clean here. But I'm sure you understand how I felt). I called my insurance company and on my way to the auto glass shop it v started training. Just my luck.

The initial plan was to just have the broken glass removed and the area wrapped since I didn't have an appointment. But after they had it cleaned up they said that they would squeeze me in between other cars since I was about 100 miles from home and I would have to wait three days. And they charged me $200 less than my insurance!

So loved being a volunteer, hatred having some jerk knock out my back window, loved that nothing was stolen (don't have anything of value anyway), and loved they guys at the glass shop who got me in when they didn't have to.

So how did everyone else do this Saturday?

Beth
2013-06-01 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Well today was a mixed bag of good and bad. Due to recovering from a hip injury I'm doing more volunteer work and only three races this year. Today I volunteered at my all time favorite road race, The Dam to Dam 20k distance. My post was right at the finish line cheering on the runners as they crossed into the finish area and making sure they didn't need immediate medical attention. I saw a lot different emotions from the runners as they finished the race. I was even honored to be able to cheer on several of my friends as they finished. I also named out a few medals. Towards the cut off time I was cheering them on and congratulating them on a strong finish. Normally I would want to race this one but I really enjoyed my time as a volunteer.

After 5 hours I headed back to my car only to discover that someone had busted out the back window and there was glass everywhere. I was upset (trying to keep it clean here. But I'm sure you understand how I felt). I called my insurance company and on my way to the auto glass shop it v started training. Just my luck.

The initial plan was to just have the broken glass removed and the area wrapped since I didn't have an appointment. But after they had it cleaned up they said that they would squeeze me in between other cars since I was about 100 miles from home and I would have to wait three days. And they charged me $200 less than my insurance!

So loved being a volunteer, hatred having some jerk knock out my back window, loved that nothing was stolen (don't have anything of value anyway), and loved they guys at the glass shop who got me in when they didn't have to.

Beth
2013-06-01 11:44 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

" La Espada " ( The Sword, names after Miguel Indurain's bike used to beat the 1 hour time trial world record )

I grew up watching Indurain and we would almost always name any bike that. LOL !

(photo copy.JPG)

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo copy.JPG (143KB - 11 downloads)
photo.JPG (146KB - 12 downloads)
2013-06-02 2:29 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Originally posted by RZ0

Ran a 5K today. Goal time was 24:04, a 7:45 pace, with a stretch goal of 7:30 pace. I timed myself at 24:05, which is right where I wanted to be. The official time was six seconds longer - the time to get to the start line. So I made goal or close, depending on how you look at it.
Either way, I'm where I wanted to be, more or less. Also :30 faster than my previous personal best, which is OK for a 52-year-old.

Fantastic run! Great time and a PB too

2013-06-02 11:32 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Hubbie

Beth

I've had my car broken into before too so I know how you're feeling. It sucks! But it's good you got it worked out. As far as volunteering, I LOVE IT! I volunteered at a trail marathon yesterday and it was so much fun! I've done some trail running before and really liked it but I've never raced and now I totally have the bug! Not sure that a trail MARATHON is on the books any time soon but a trail race is for sure! Do any of you do any trail running?
2013-06-02 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Beth, really sorry about your car but glad you got it handled.

SATURDAY - no workout. Both kids had lacrosse. Hubby had older one for a 930 lacrosse championship game (we lost), then basketball tryouts from 12-2, and finally a friend's hs graduation party.
I had my youngest at his tournament where we had 9, 1130 and 2pm games followed by a team pool party.

SUNDAY -
I started off well today. I did a 3 mile run (20/2 intervals). Then I did a half mile swi mm (800 yards).
The swim started out as my 2nd week work out but I didn't have time to finsh.
I did 800 of the planned 900 yards workout.
The first 200 yards was goofy. One of my goggles strap can loose in my face. My swim cap started slipping off but because it was held by the last goggle strap, it started floating on the back of my heaf like an air balloon. The life guards had a good laugh. I still had a good albeit shortened workout.

Edited by Lovey 2013-06-02 4:31 PM
2013-06-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
First Olympic Done!!!

2:26:22 Total Time

1500 Swim - 25:16, 1:41 per 100
22 Mile Bike - 1:06, 19.8 mph
6 Mile Run - 50:24, 8:24 per mile (I don't think this is right, I think the run was short because I've never run that pace in a stand alone 5k before)

Good Points of the Day:

Made it through still smiling, Never walked, First wetsuit swim went well, Beautiful Day to Race, Very pleased with my time.

Bad Points of the Day

Never practiced with wetsuit before warm-up this morning, forgot my food leaving T1 on the Bike, Forgot to take off my Helmet leaving T2 to Run (luckily a volunteer took it for me and put it with my stuff)

Biggest plus for me was that I could tell that this time I had trained for months before this event. I made the ref. to not walking becuase in every sprint (5K) prior to this race I walked Some, but not today and a much longer race.

Various Pictures of the Day (I am the one in the middle of the washing machine just behind and to the right of the guy with red in his wetsuit). The little angel is my daughter Tricia.

Thank you everyone for your words of encourgement before the race.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-06-02 9:02 PM

(Run.JPG)

(Finish Up.JPG)

(Washing machine.JPG)

(Coming into T2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Run.JPG (53KB - 10 downloads)
Finish Up.JPG (59KB - 9 downloads)
Washing machine.JPG (62KB - 21 downloads)
Coming into T2.JPG (57KB - 11 downloads)
2013-06-02 9:00 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Beth, so sorry to hear about your window and double sucks for happening on a day that you volunteered and were doing for others.
2013-06-02 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Almost forgot we went to the World Aquarium in downtown Dallas and even the wife told me had to click this picture.

(Sony Camera 807.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Sony Camera 807.JPG (58KB - 21 downloads)

2013-06-02 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Todd congrats on the amazing race!!!!! It looked like you had a great time on your first Olympic distance. That is my favorite distance to race.

Again congrats on the race. And the turtle pic is cool too

Beth
2013-06-02 10:45 PM

Those pictures look amazing, what a wonderful feeling it must be to finish without stopping. Congrats !!!
2013-06-03 4:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

First Olympic Done!!!

2:26:22 Total Time

1500 Swim - 25:16, 1:41 per 100
22 Mile Bike - 1:06, 19.8 mph
6 Mile Run - 50:24, 8:24 per mile (I don't think this is right, I think the run was short because I've never run that pace in a stand alone 5k before)

Nice! Strong pace across the sports. If your really curious about the run you could try either finding someone else's GPS track of the race on garmin (someone is bound to have posted it,) or even mapmyrun.com might give you an idea. Those pics were great, the swim looks like a straight up battlefield!
2013-06-03 5:03 AM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
What an achievement! Great pace, and you look like you're having a ball :D. Something to inspire all of us!
2013-06-03 8:07 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, run pace was figured out. The true run distance was right at 5.40, which would have made my true mile per pace, 9:37. That is still a really, really, good pace for me for that distance and off the bike.

2013-06-03 8:16 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete First Olympic Done!!! 2:26:22 Total Time 1500 Swim - 25:16, 1:41 per 100 22 Mile Bike - 1:06, 19.8 mph 6 Mile Run - 50:24, 8:24 per mile (I don't think this is right, I think the run was short because I've never run that pace in a stand alone 5k before) Good Points of the Day: Made it through still smiling, Never walked, First wetsuit swim went well, Beautiful Day to Race, Very pleased with my time. Bad Points of the Day Never practiced with wetsuit before warm-up this morning, forgot my food leaving T1 on the Bike, Forgot to take off my Helmet leaving T2 to Run (luckily a volunteer took it for me and put it with my stuff) Biggest plus for me was that I could tell that this time I had trained for months before this event. I made the ref. to not walking becuase in every sprint (5K) prior to this race I walked Some, but not today and a much longer race. Various Pictures of the Day (I am the one in the middle of the washing machine just behind and to the right of the guy with red in his wetsuit). The little angel is my daughter Tricia. Thank you everyone for your words of encourgement before the race.

Great race Todd! Way to go!!

2013-06-03 8:52 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Almost forgot we went to the World Aquarium in downtown Dallas and even the wife told me had to click this picture.

Hey look, a group pic! Congrats on the race Todd!
2013-06-03 9:22 AM

The washer machine is intimidating the crap out of me, That looks like it will throw my breathing off right from the get go. Hey I have a couple of Questions :

1 - Im looking for a Triathlon Suit and Im sucker for nike ( Almost everything I own in terms of gear is nike ) what do you guys think about this : http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-423...

With something like this, thats all I really need right ? I would do all three thing with that TRI suit or should I really change to running shorts after swim and bike ?

2 - I believe that my bike route will be mostly flat and I think I might be able to muster about 18 to 22 MPH depending on wind and stamina and I would be happy with that. I also think my 5K pace will be somewhere around 9:30 a mile provided I keep training possible a tiny bit faster and I would also be happy with that. But the real question of the swimming, I have to do 400M and that washer machine pic has me a bit worried about pushing and pulling and breathing etc.. What would be a good pace to aim for in the pool ? I have not yet timed my self and I dont even take a watch with me. Im not yet at the 400M distance without stopping for a quick breather, can somebody give me some tips on preparing that ?

3 - My spring it 400M swim/12mile Bike/ 5K run Every session of Bike for me I do at least double and now my running session are minimum 4 to 6 miles to make sure Im well over the 3 miles required.. How much do you think I should aim to swim eventually to prep the 400m .... 800 ?? I just wanna make sure Im nice and ready considering that day it all happens in one shot.
2013-06-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ibr80

The washer machine is intimidating the crap out of me, That looks like it will throw my breathing off right from the get go. Hey I have a couple of Questions :

1 - Im looking for a Triathlon Suit and Im sucker for nike ( Almost everything I own in terms of gear is nike ) what do you guys think about this : http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-423...

With something like this, thats all I really need right ? I would do all three thing with that TRI suit or should I really change to running shorts after swim and bike ?

2 - I believe that my bike route will be mostly flat and I think I might be able to muster about 18 to 22 MPH depending on wind and stamina and I would be happy with that. I also think my 5K pace will be somewhere around 9:30 a mile provided I keep training possible a tiny bit faster and I would also be happy with that. But the real question of the swimming, I have to do 400M and that washer machine pic has me a bit worried about pushing and pulling and breathing etc.. What would be a good pace to aim for in the pool ? I have not yet timed my self and I dont even take a watch with me. Im not yet at the 400M distance without stopping for a quick breather, can somebody give me some tips on preparing that ?

3 - My spring it 400M swim/12mile Bike/ 5K run Every session of Bike for me I do at least double and now my running session are minimum 4 to 6 miles to make sure Im well over the 3 miles required.. How much do you think I should aim to swim eventually to prep the 400m .... 800 ?? I just wanna make sure Im nice and ready considering that day it all happens in one shot.

Answers:

1. Yes, you would wear the Tri Suit for the duration of the event. People do not really change from one garmet to another until they do a Full Ironman, and then it's mostly for comfort and the larger pad that bicycle shorts offer. Whether or not you buy the Nike one is up to you, but make sure it's comfortable to you and fits properly. I can tell you that I started with a Tri Suit, but as I'm going up in distance I switched to a two piece for comfort, which is what I wore this weekend for the first time. Some people do not like the feel of a tri suit, but it's a personnal thing.

2. You don't need to concern yourself right now with your swim time, you only need to ensure that you can do the distance (the time will be what it is). Don't let that picture get you scared, becuase this was a larger event and I positioned myself in the second row at the front of the group. You can always stay back or way out to the side and not have to deal with that. As far as breathing and everything in a situation like that it is just key to remain calm, if you have to slow down you do, main thing is not to panic. The other thing here is what kind of swim your doing, how you will start, and where it is. Pool swim, lake, wave start, time trial start, group flights, What kind of swim and start will yours' be?

3. Yes, 800 would likely be a good mark for you to set that you know you can swim non stop with little problem. It is not neccesary, but will help with your confidence on the day in question to know that you have done double the distance several times before.

On another note to your quesitons, make sure that on some of your training days to shorten the bike and then do a run afterwards. Your body needs to be conditioned to getting off the bike and running. No, you don't need to bike 12 and then run 3 to be ready, but if you get to that point then great, you will know how hard you can push on race day.
2013-06-03 10:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: Lovey

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Biking / spinning question:

Even though I am not cleared yet to ride, I have serious reservations about biking outside just yet. After shattering my ankle a year ago, the thought of wiping out again is never far from my mind.

found two biking training plans:

BT has a 3 month “Beginner Cycling Training” program. This plan is specifically created with the overweight person in mind who is looking for a no-impact weight loss plan to start losing the pounds and getting fit. The plan is 3 month’s long. Workout is 5 to 6 days per week, some are short to medium workouts. At least one day is on the trainer. Until I get cleared or I get past my fear to heading back out there, I was thinking of doing this but all on a trainer.
http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1671

Selene Yeager's (Bicycling Magazine's Fit Chick) has the 8-Week Weight Loss Cycling Program

http://www.box.net/shared/avkj6vvcwo

Would it be better to just stick to spin classes for now?

Sorry, that I missed this question. The trainer would likely be the next best place to train, but if you like the spin classes then do that. You are still trying to build confidence, loose weight, get in a routine, so do what feels right. The one plus to the trainer as others have said is getting use to your bike with no fear of falling. As far as the fear of getting back on the bike, I view this almost like being in a wreck with your vehicle, you did not stop driving. What will be will be, but you can control your bike handling skills and comfort level. Start out in open parking lots with no traffic, or smooth rodes with not traffice (like park bike paths). Find a place where the only thing you have to worry about is the safe operation of your bike. I know this may sound goofy, but do bike drills. When I got my Tri bike, I practiced swearving to avoid make believe objects in the road, hitting certain points, keep up quickly to break, just little things to increase my confience. The fear is understandable there, but as your miles add up and your confidence improves it will fade away. You will always think what if I wreck, but it doesn't have to freak you out. Again sorry for missing this before.

Also, yes spin and / or trainer time counts as bike time becuase that's what it is.
2013-06-03 10:12 AM

Rensselaer, New York

Scored this little gem over the weekend off eBay for $30.56

(vflow.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
vflow.JPG (105KB - 11 downloads)
2013-06-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: MJSolt

Extreme Veteran
Mike, Congrats on the score, but don't spoil her to much at the start or she might start taking advantage of you.
2013-06-03 10:48 AM
in reply to: MJSolt

Originally posted by MJSolt

Scored this little gem over the weekend off eBay for $30.56

"v flow"???? With that vent and that name are sure that's not a women's seat? Haha sorry i couldn't resist. The price was right! That's for sure!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45