BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-02-21 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4953569

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Finished 5th in my age group with a time of 23:02. Almost 2 minutes faster than I thought possible for me. My legs started cramping as I walked back to my car, so I feel confident that I gave it all I had. Well I'm so glad I did it. Time to put another race on the horizon to keep the training motivated.

2014-02-22 12:00 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Great effort Cassowary. Well Done
2014-02-22 3:50 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by cassowary Finished 5th in my age group with a time of 23:02. Almost 2 minutes faster than I thought possible for me. My legs started cramping as I walked back to my car, so I feel confident that I gave it all I had. Well I'm so glad I did it. Time to put another race on the horizon to keep the training motivated.

Way to go! Nice work Cassowary 

2014-02-22 3:54 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: NEW CHALLENGE

Originally posted by AussieTurtle It's Saturday afternoon (in Oz) so it's a bit late to issue a challenge for the weekend so the challenge for next week (Monday - Sunday) is for each Turtle to complete each Tri discipline during the week. IE Swim, T1, Bike, T2 & Run. It's up to you if you want to do some or all disciplines together or separately. If bad weather is keeping you indoors you can complete the disciplines on an exercise bike or treadmill or simulate a transition I thought I'd include the transitions as they are not often practiced. T1 should include a run to the bike, change to bike gear, running with the bike and then mounting the bike. T2 should include dismounting the bike, running with the bike and and change to run gear. Have Fun Aussie Turtle

Good choice of challenge! I'm already entered in a tri next Sunday, but it kind of feels like cheating to use that as the response to the challenge, so I'm going to try and get all that done in practice between now and then. Thanks for the inspiration!

2014-02-22 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

Finished 5th in my age group with a time of 23:02. Almost 2 minutes faster than I thought possible for me. My legs started cramping as I walked back to my car, so I feel confident that I gave it all I had. Well I'm so glad I did it. Time to put another race on the horizon to keep the training motivated.

That is a freaking awesome time!! I would love to run a 23 minute 5K. Way to do yourself and the Turtles proud.
2014-02-22 10:54 PM

User image

Way to smash it Cassowary! very proud of you! Amazing!!!! Great job!

2014-02-22 11:03 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Friday I did a swim/spin bike and a shirt treadmill run...another 4:00 am day! Today me and hubs FINALLY GOT OUT and got to ride our bikes OUTSIDE! Hubs put his awesome Zipp wheels on my bike since he can't race with upcoming surgery then out for 8 weeks. I loved the Zipps! Wow we went out for 18 miles and those things want to keep on Rollin all day long! Loved the ride and we plan on doing it again tomorrow!

Taringa~. No I am not holding my breath under water....I just don't seem to get enough in when I turn my head. Thanks for the link to Total Immersion forums. I LOVE his teaching style and I do a lot of his drills! This is all so new and I need to just give it time. I just hate being out of breath!

I accept the new challenge and look forward to it!,

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Darci
2014-02-23 7:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

It's Saturday afternoon (in Oz) so it's a bit late to issue a challenge for the weekend so the challenge for next week (Monday - Sunday) is for each Turtle to complete each Tri discipline during the week. IE Swim, T1, Bike, T2 & Run. It's up to you if you want to do some or all disciplines together or separately.

If bad weather is keeping you indoors you can complete the disciplines on an exercise bike or treadmill or simulate a transition

I thought I'd include the transitions as they are not often practiced. T1 should include a run to the bike, change to bike gear, running with the bike and then mounting the bike. T2 should include dismounting the bike, running with the bike and and change to run gear.

Have Fun

Aussie Turtle

I am in for the challenge. I won't be able to do the real bike as weather is not cooperating. Roads are too wet for me to ride on and many ice patches to dodge. I will be a bike to run and a bike to swim.

During the summer, the tri club does a free transition clinic. They go to the actually race site and set up. You start bare feet at the water and run as if you just got out, transition to the bike, ride a short distance and come back to the dismount line and transition to the run. Having the race so close is really nice when it comes to practicing on the course.

Edited by Lovey 2014-02-23 7:10 PM
2014-02-23 7:50 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Friday I did a swim/spin bike and a shirt treadmill run...another 4:00 am day! Today me and hubs FINALLY GOT OUT and got to ride our bikes OUTSIDE! Hubs put his awesome Zipp wheels on my bike since he can't race with upcoming surgery then out for 8 weeks. I loved the Zipps! Wow we went out for 18 miles and those things want to keep on Rollin all day long! Loved the ride and we plan on doing it again tomorrow!

Taringa~. No I am not holding my breath under water....I just don't seem to get enough in when I turn my head. Thanks for the link to Total Immersion forums. I LOVE his teaching style and I do a lot of his drills! This is all so new and I need to just give it time. I just hate being out of breath!

I accept the new challenge and look forward to it!,

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Darci

Always a great feeling when you can finally get outside and then to get to throw on some ZIPPS
2014-02-23 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Turtles
I accomplished my weekend goals and then some.

Friday (2200 - 1.2+ mile) non-stop swim with an average of 1:57 per hundred

Saturday (35 mile ride) average just over 17 mph and got to practice changing flats

Sunday (5 mile run) average just over 10:30 per, which is pretty good for me.

2014-02-23 11:10 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I've made a start on the challenge this morning practicing T1. It was meant to be a bike/run brick session but when I got to the park I discovered I left my running shoes at home. Doh!

It worked out well in the end, I did 5k on the bike, then 10 mins of riding around the carpark jumping on and off the bike, then repeated the 5km bike and 10 min practice again. By the end of the practice I'm happy with jumping onto the bike at the run, I still need to get used to riding straight while I put my feet in the shoes, but that should fall into place soon I think. Now to practice T2, the run, and the swim!

I found this link helpful:

http://www.active.com/articles/triathletes-10-tips-for-a-fast-transition

and this video:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTOBnu7w-

2014-02-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Houston, Texas
Wow, Cassowary... nice time! I'm working on getting my time back down after an unintentional hiatus from running, but that is fantastic!

Darci, I don't know how you do those 4 am workouts. You should be proud, that's great commitment. I bet the outside ride felt great. I need to get new wheels for my bike, and your enjoyment of your husbands wheels is making me want to go get them now!

Todd, your swim time is killing me... I've got to practice more or I'll never get better. I know that, but I get so frustrated when I do half a lap and have to stop. I plan on hitting the pool a couple of times this week.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned the Wellness 5K earlier. I made it to the one in January, and as foggy and kinda gross as it was yesterday, I made it out to that one as well.

It was a nice run. I finished 26th out of 149 women, they didn't keep track by age. 81st over all out of 259. I did it in 29:02 which was an improvement. I've done better before, but I was happy with it for now since I haven't really been running all that much. I pushed pretty hard at the end. I plan on using that race each month as a measuring stick for my running.

Hope you all had a good weekend. I'll have to see if I can't get everything in for the challenge by Wednesday. I'm going out of town to visit my grandparents after that and won't be able to do much. I'm going to need to do a lot of training when I get back... there's lots of good food at my grandparents ^_^
2014-02-24 1:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I accomplished my weekend goals and then some.

Friday (2200 - 1.2+ mile) non-stop swim with an average of 1:57 per hundred

Saturday (35 mile ride) average just over 17 mph and got to practice changing flats

Sunday (5 mile run) average just over 10:30 per, which is pretty good for me.

Wow - very impressive, especially the swim! Nice work.
2014-02-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Subject: Triathlon Tips
I read an article in the Boston Globe Travel section today that talked about training for the Iron Man on the Big Island. Here are some fun tips:

Cycling
"Upright at 20 mph creates about the same drag as as an aerodynamic position at 25 mph."

Swimming
"You want to keep a high elbow through your stroke, and scoop the water as if you're reaching over a big ball and pulling yourself over it."

"The idea is to get on someone's feet and hold on as long as you can. By drafting, you can gain 30 percent energy savings in the water."

General
"You expend a lot of energy when you worry, and everything can go south fast. Remember, it shouldn't be a nerve-racking thing, it should be fun and exciting."

Keep up the good work everyone, I love hearing about the training!
2014-02-25 4:48 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Triathlon Tips

Swim section of the challenge done and dusted, it was fairly quiet in the pool this morning, I had a lane to myself so set myself a 400m time trial, followed by a 200m time trial. I can tell I don't so a lotof speed work, I really must work on that as well as the long slow swims.

2014-02-25 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Taringa

Swim section of the challenge done and dusted, it was fairly quiet in the pool this morning, I had a lane to myself so set myself a 400m time trial, followed by a 200m time trial. I can tell I don't so a lotof speed work, I really must work on that as well as the long slow swims.

Great job on the swim. I like how you do periodic time trial on yourself. We did a timed trial in swim class a few weeks ago. I am hoping to improve on the next one.

I got in a short 20 minute swim this morning. My time has gotten better and makes for a good motivator since I can easily talk myself out of going to the pool. I did some kicking drills as well.

Why is it that my pace is better after the kicking drill vs. before?

2014-02-25 7:10 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Originally posted by Lovey

Why is it that my pace is better after the kicking drill vs. before?

You're right, I get this too. It might be that the good muscle memory we're building from kick boarding outweighs the fatigue.
2014-02-25 7:16 AM

User image

Hi Turtles,

Great to see progress being made in the Challenge.

I'm struggling to find time as I'm up to day 15 of 19 days straight work. I'm currently doing night shift so I can't get to the pool during my lunch break as it's closed. I had hoped to go for a swim when I knocked off work yesterday but I was so tired I couldn't even drive home without stopping for a break. Still a wise person once told me "You have all the time there is" so it will be a matter of finding an hour here and there to get my training done.

I feel like I'm going backwards these last few weeks with limited training and my weight fluctuating due to lack of aerobic work due to my ankle injury, poor meal planning and interrupted sleep due to working odd hours. I'm currently working on a meal plan of 6 small meals over a 24 hour period so I watch what I eat as it looks like the varied working hours will continue until June.

I went into a bike store today and was asked by the sales person if they could assist me. I told the guy I was thinking of getting another bike while I was standing next to a Tri bike. He told me that bike would be no good for me as it is for triahlons. I laughed to myself and walked away.

Rod
2014-02-26 7:49 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to miss this challenge too : ( I'm going out of town this evening, so I've been stuffing a weeks worth of work into 3 days. I've been coming in early and staying late, which pretty well kills any motivation I had to go to the gym. I'll be visiting my grandparents so there is limited opportunity to be active while I'm there. However, I will be back Tuesday and I'll get started again.

Nice work on the challenge so far for those that have started.
2014-02-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Spin Class was full this morning so I opted to do Body Pump strength training instead. Went for the class to the track for a 1 mile run.
After I got home, I had to shovel snow. Does this count towards the challenge?
2014-02-27 4:39 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by AussieTurtleI went into a bike store today and was asked by the sales person if they could assist me. I told the guy I was thinking of getting another bike while I was standing next to a Tri bike. He told me that bike would be no good for me as it is for triahlons. I laughed to myself and walked away. Rod

That's so typical of so many bike shops (especially, around here, the chain stores). We have one local shop nearby that offers excellent service, friendly advice etc, and has higher prices. There is another store with bargain bucket specials and flashy marketing but the kind of condescending attitude you describe. I'm happy to pay the extra and spend my money at the shop with great service.

2014-02-27 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Spin Class was full this morning so I opted to do Body Pump strength training instead. Went for the class to the track for a 1 mile run.
After I got home, I had to shovel snow. Does this count towards the challenge?

It would certainly count as strength training!
2014-02-27 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Originally posted by AussieTurtleI went into a bike store today and was asked by the sales person if they could assist me. I told the guy I was thinking of getting another bike while I was standing next to a Tri bike. He told me that bike would be no good for me as it is for triahlons. I laughed to myself and walked away. Rod

That's so typical of so many bike shops (especially, around here, the chain stores). We have one local shop nearby that offers excellent service, friendly advice etc, and has higher prices. There is another store with bargain bucket specials and flashy marketing but the kind of condescending attitude you describe. I'm happy to pay the extra and spend my money at the shop with great service.

Yep, there are a lot of elitist and judgmental bike shops out there. I really like how they size you up in 10 seconds and then think they know who you are. The better one for me is when you tell them what you want to spend (entry level amount) and from that point on it's rush, rush, rush. I have found that certain shops around me do certain things that I like, so I go to specific ones for specific reasons.
2014-02-27 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

I went into a bike store today and was asked by the sales person if they could assist me. I told the guy I was thinking of getting another bike while I was standing next to a Tri bike. He told me that bike would be no good for me as it is for triahlons. I laughed to myself and walked away.

Ha, I'm glad the idiot didn't get your business.

I generally like being underestimated - it makes it that much more satisfying to blow by the guys who look and act like they're invincible. And if you don't blow by them... well nobody was expecting us to anyhow, so no big loss. We're just turtles after all

Edited by cassowary 2014-02-27 2:26 PM
2014-02-28 4:01 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Well, I've finished my workouts for the week (rest day tomorrow before the race) and I'm happy to have completed the challenge. Bike and T1 Monday, swim tuesday, brick and T1/T2 Thursday, and a swim again today. Could have done more T2 practice but didn't quite manage it. Looking forward to the sprint on Sunday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.