General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-03-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: TRI - AJ

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
30 in Houston!?!? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypses or something? Life does get in the way and it sucks! I have a fairly demanding job but no kids or anything like that so I can get it done, but I have no idea how all you people with kids and commitments and all that do it, mad props to all of you!!! Keep pushing stay focused, you can do it!

WebFoot - found this and it has you written all over it!

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

I'm going to do the Zero to 1 Mile program, but thought it would help you.

Ok team I've decided to start a motivational quote of the day, so here is today's!

"If you can dream it, you can achieve it." –Zig Ziglar

Simple and to the point, put your mind to it and possibilities are endless! Have a great day everyone...

2014-03-03 5:19 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

OK! THANK YOU!

1. Took ALL girl scout cookies to work. Throwing ice cream away when i finish this post.
2. Skipped the cheesecake in the break room (I love cheesecake)
3. Weighed and faced the bad news.
4. Leaving for 5 mile run/walk.

Thank you and if message if I feel like cracking - I will message you guys.

You guys are motivating!

Donna
2014-03-03 5:29 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
Donna,

That's awesome! Those actions prove your dedication. Enjoy your walk! Just remember, moving forward is always progress!
2014-03-03 5:34 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Donna that is a very good idea. I starting not to completely buy the cals in cal out atleast not completely. I lost more weight this week ( 9 lbs) than I did last 6 weeks which was about 6 lbs.

My biggest differences is I staying away from sugar and wheat.
2014-03-03 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Diablo- absolutely going to give that a closer look.

Donna- good first steps!

Well... this week is going to be messed up. I got a short bike ride in yesterday before work, but the temp was already falling. I did my 2K walk in a sleet thunder storm (that was kind of weird). Woke up this morning to 6" of ice. Not only did I call out from work, but with the Y closed there was no swimming either. I also had a nasty slip on the ice and landed on my right hip/shoulder. I can still do my strength training tonight, but I have a feeling most of this week is going to not happen. Oh well, I still have time!
2014-03-03 8:49 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

30 min on the treadmill.
Was feeling good, but then got hit w\ the dreaded stitch/back spasm.
had to slow down and walk for about 5 min.
got 2.5 Mi in

Weight training then core

then put a half hour in the pool.

Gotta work off all the bad stuff I ate this weekend.
(actually drank a good amount of beer).

2014-03-03 9:28 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by luvschips

OK! THANK YOU!

1. Took ALL girl scout cookies to work. Throwing ice cream away when i finish this post.
2. Skipped the cheesecake in the break room (I love cheesecake)
3. Weighed and faced the bad news.
4. Leaving for 5 mile run/walk.

Thank you and if message if I feel like cracking - I will message you guys.

You guys are motivating!

Donna

Woohoo!!!!! That's what I'm talking about, take action!!! Love it!

Did 45 mins on trainer tonight, interval workout so legs were dead by the end. Got myself a swim coach today, it's by far my weakest point and also IMO the hardest to self learn and access. She is actually the mother of my best friend (the swim coach) I mention from time to time. She was always like a second mother to me and while she has been removed from coaching for about 8 yrs I'm sure she still knows way more than I and well she is also doing it for FREE! So I got that going for me, which is nice

Want to add some upper body weight sets to my routine, anyone have a quick and easy routine to share?

Keep up the great work everyone, love how active everyone is getting! Every time that notice pops up in my email I get excited to see what y'all have to say.
2014-03-04 4:43 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Quote of the day people:

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn
2014-03-04 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4958915

Sounds like everybody's working hard in here. Keep up the good work Donna, I struggle with saying no to temptation, and having 2 young kids in the house provides me with plenty of it. I am also in charge of stocking the snacks and sodas at work, so I have even more there. I have been bad these last couple weeks because my motivation and mood have a direct correlation with the weather, which has been lousy lately. It is starting to warm up here in the inland northwest though. If the forecast holds for Saturday (50° and not raining), I am going to get my bike outside for it's 2014 outdoor debut.

Today was an hour on the trainer, and a 4 mile run at lunch. I was so close to breaking 10 min/mi at 10:02/mi. I have done it a few times, but I would like to be consistently below that. That will come with time though.
2014-03-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by DBGlobal

Sounds like everybody's working hard in here. Keep up the good work Donna, I struggle with saying no to temptation, and having 2 young kids in the house provides me with plenty of it. I am also in charge of stocking the snacks and sodas at work, so I have even more there. I have been bad these last couple weeks because my motivation and mood have a direct correlation with the weather, which has been lousy lately. It is starting to warm up here in the inland northwest though. If the forecast holds for Saturday (50° and not raining), I am going to get my bike outside for it's 2014 outdoor debut.

Today was an hour on the trainer, and a 4 mile run at lunch. I was so close to breaking 10 min/mi at 10:02/mi. I have done it a few times, but I would like to be consistently below that. That will come with time though.

Way to go DBG!!! Go I can't wait till I'm sub 10 as the norm, I keep hovering right there around 10 too and it is soooo frustrating!

Ok quote of the day: The battles that count aren’t the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself–the invisible battles inside all of us–that’s where it’s at. –Jesse Owens

So much like Donna a cpl days ago I'm struggling with making good food choices, it is amazing how 1 week of not grocery shopping and menu planning just leads to complete chaos of eating out and eating crap!!!! So need to focus and get everything back on track...

First session with swim coach tonight, so that should be interesting and I hope productive, I'll give y'all a report after me sssion. Have a great day everyone, keep up the good work!
2014-03-05 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4959717

User image

Been feeling crappy so I took yesterday off, I had a light workout planned but I scrapped it!

I have a long run (for me) planned for tonight 4 miles on the mill! - then a swim. I'll let you know how it goes!
Maybe next wee I can get outside as it is going to warm up a bit!!

2014-03-05 7:55 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Ok so first and foremost, if you are new to this whole triathlon thing or been in a few years but shelf taught, do yourself a favor and work with a swim coach! The 1 hour I spent tonight was more productive than all the reading, videos, and self assessment I've done to date. So skimp on the bike, or the clothes or the supplements and spend a few sessions with a swim coach and change your whole game!
2014-03-05 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I second that. my swimming greatly improved after I started going to master swim. In fact once I understood one thing my coach talked to me I could barely swim 3.1 miles and I then swam 3.5 miles and stopped because I figured I will swim longer on another night.

Once I can get back my endurance I will go back to master swim.
2014-03-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Inspirational quote of the day!

Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is. –Vince Lombardi

Keep pushing people!!!!!
2014-03-06 8:26 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Ok people another group exclusive, 3rd Gen iPod Shuffle 2GB like new, maybe used 3 times since new. Comes in original box, includes all accessories and manuals as if new. Lets say $23 shipped and it prob even has music on it

photo 2D89956A-6A17-48D9-91EF-CDEE019603D1_zps0ixlifo4.jpg
2014-03-06 10:16 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Great work by everyone! It seems like we may have turned the corner on winter (I hope I didn't jynx us) and as the weather warms, we should all be getting out more! Sounds like swim progress is being made too!

Peter - your words of motivation are great! It's a great additon to the board.

I've been knocked down this week. I caught some sort of bug on sunday and am finally starting to get back to it. I worked yesterday and today but have missed several workouts this week. I'm hoping to swim tomorrow (first time in weeks). I've just spent time updating and uploading training plans for now until the Princeton 70.3 (just bike relay for me). It's tough juggling all the plans and making a nice progression from sprint to oly to 56 mile bike. I've been running all winter, but it's time to knock the dust off the swim googles, jump on my new bike and get back into triathlon training! After looking at all the training, this s%#t got real!

2014-03-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4960240

Well, the weather wasn't gorgeous, but it was good enough for shorts and a t-shirt. It was 51 and mostly cloudy, and the trail was calling my name. The only problem was that after having not run in anything above freezing temps, my body was a little shocked by the increased temperature. I got done with my 4.5 miles run and felt like I was overheating. I'm okay with that though because I got to run in SHORTS AND A T-SHIRT!!!! Still right around the 10 min/mi, but not below.

I Agree with those who have said invest in a coach. It made such a difference for me last year. I need to do it again this year , I am struggling to make any improvements in the swim right now. The harder I try, the slower I go, which to me means I got some technique issues.
2014-03-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Your Friday Quote: A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. – Albert Einstein

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!!
2014-03-08 10:38 AM

User image

Skimp on the clothes? I think not! LOL - but seriously, I have been swimming a year and have not seen any speed improvement in my swimming and need to get off my butt and do the coach thing. I wish I could go to the master's swim group (I hear they are awesome - but it doesn't work with my work schedule).

Mike - I would really like to do 70.3 this year...but it seems so hard! Especially being on the bike that long. Someone suggested I should get a trainer so I could get more time on the bike. Any thoughts?

Well - I stuck to my workout plan this week and got all my sessions in (even did 9 miles today)! But even with clearing out the junk, I ate pretty poorly when I went out to dinner with friends. So next weeks goal will be to stay dedicated to training and to make better choices when I am with friends. It's like I am 13 and feel "peer pressure" to eat like they do. Big test tomorrow - they want to go to a buffet for brunch!

I am enjoying the motivational quotes too!

HAPPY HAPPY TRAINING SATURDAY!

Donna
2014-03-08 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4961079

User image

I had a nice run today 5.2 miles about 55 min.
New PR for me for distance!
2014-03-08 4:28 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Donna - keep up the good work on the training. It is tough with the peer pressure while eating out. They key is for you to lead instead of follow, it's ok to tell people you're eating a lower calorie choice instead of the fried appetizers, etc.. Maybe they will catch the bug and before you know it, your peer pressure will make them eat better,

As far as a trainer, YES! We have 2 and we use them during the winter and even in the warmer months when it's raining, or really early or late. Our favorite is the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. It gives a nice ride, you shift using your own gears and it's relatively quiet. We also picked up a magnetic trainer off of Craigslist. It's not bad, but just not as solid a ride and not as quiet as the KK. I highly recommend training on it because you can always jump in the saddle and go regardless of time of day of weather. I would recommend that you use a bike computer with a cadence option and also speed sensor on read wheel. This will give you an idea of how fast and far you're riding. The trainer is basically the bike version of the treadmill. Thee are also programs available for "rides" through sites like Paincave or TrainerRoads.

Today I rode the trainer for 45 minutes. Unfortunately the computer I put on my new bike (used computer) wasn't working right and I have no idea of how far or fast. My HRM was working so at least I have that data... This afternoon I ran 3.1 in 30.32 which is fast for me. I was psyched to break that 10 min mile for 5k!

2014-03-08 4:29 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Clarkey77

I had a nice run today 5.2 miles about 55 min.
New PR for me for distance!

Great job! Way to go!
2014-03-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Quote of the day: I would rather die of passion than of boredom. –Vincent van Gogh
2014-03-08 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4961937

Good job on the runs mike and clarkey! It always feels so good to get a PR or make some goal pace. I'm a big fan of programs like Strava that help me keep track of paces and distances, and love trying to beat PRs.

Got the bike outside today. It felt amazing! Did 30 miles and just went out fairly easy. I still don't have a bike computer (coming soon) so I was happy when I checked Strava when I got home and saw that I averaged 17mph. I was expecting it to be a little lower for my first ride outside for the year. Looking forward to the spring when I can do this every weekend.

Have a fantastic weekend all!
2014-03-09 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4962003

User image

Thanks for the encouragement guys! It feels really good and that's very helpful!
Also great job on the quick 5k!

Shockingly I feel really good today! I thought I would be sore as all get out!

Planning on a swim tonight - but I may not be able to get to the gym before early close on Sunday. If I miss it I will bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28759 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 101655 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16675 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30905 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?