BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-07-02 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2958499

Master
Kitchener
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
thall0672 - 2010-07-02 2:29 PM
stevebradley - 2010-07-02 9:29 AM TRACEY - I FINALLY got around to going through the goodie bag from Escape, and came across tow coupons that you might want. One is from Balance Muscular Therapy in Taunton, and the other is from Greater Boston Running Co. in Hingham. The BMT one is $20 off and is good through August, while the GBRC is for 15% off any in-store purchase, and with no expiration date. I know you got these, too, but if you can use either of mine I will be happy to send them to you. How's the neuroma and the Newtons?
Thanks for thinking of me SteveB! I ended up tossing those coupons after briefly considering a massage at the BMT place. But thanks anyway. No sign of the neuroma these days. Let's hope it's gone for good. I had a great run yesterday in them. In fact, that was the first time I've had a run and could call it "great." I've had other runs that I called great, but it was always after the fact and the greatness was more due to the fact that I had gotten through them and they were over with. Yesterday's run actually felt great DURING the run. I had lots of energy and my legs didn't feel tired. In fact, I was running with Donna and actually felt at several points that I could have run faster but since we were chatting I stayed with her. We did just under 4 miles in about 48 minutes. (About 12:18 pace I believe). I don't know if the high energy and lack of tiredness in my legs was due to the shoes, the food beforehand or a combination of both. (I plan to duplicate the breakfast and pre-race snack I had when I do the 10k on Sunday).

This is REALLY good news.   It shows we should always keep the faith and stay positive.   Better days could be just around the corner.  

Good luck on your 10k on Sunday!    

2010-07-02 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2958563

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Great and great -- great on the "great" run, and great on decding to do the 10K. I couldn't remember if you were on it or off it, but it sound like it is a go and Gillette Stadium, here you come!!!!

I too am a quinoa fan, which was a protein staple from my vegetarian days of '03-'06 or so. It tastes good, and has a beautiful name. I wonder how many children of "earth" parents have been named Quinoa!

2010-07-02 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2958207

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I didn't know you know Harry Barnes! I've met him twice at races, and for what it's worth, I couldn't beat him in a month of Sundays. His strongest strength is, as you say, his run, but he is a super cyclist and a very good swimmer. I haven't crossed paths with him in about four or five years, but would like to again. Do you have any idea what his schedule is for the rest of the season? I saw one race result in which his address was listed as Florida, so I figured he was living down there during the season. But then I saw him in the results for Guelph, i guess it was. If you see him at Peterborough, ask what he has on tap for the rest of the season, okay?

I definitely think there is a point of diminishing returns, and not only that, but for people of our vintage there is the ever-present spectre of injury. It will bite me if I run too much or too hard, and if I am swim too often and too long. Cycling seems to hold up to big volume --- but then again, I'm a veteran of perhaps just four century rides, and two of them were attached to my two irons, so who I am to tout the benefits or lack thereof of big bike miles?

I wouldn't be too concerned about a lackadaisical attitude these days/weeks, for the rreasons you suspect -- the knee, the cold, the residuals from Florida. One of the toughest aspects of being injured is feeling you are not really "in the game", and at least for me, without that sense there tags along a less-than-committed attitude towards training. In fact, during my injured times that was the hardest part of training -- keeping my head into it at all times. That was where the aquabikes came in handy, even though part of me "resented" them because I had to stop when everybody else was heading out on the run!

It might be, too, that you are having trouble dealing with these less important races, and hopefully you will get your groove back as you work up towards Muskoka. I was in a better head space in '06, my aqbk year, with The Canadian, just because for some reason that mattered to me more than the others I had done. I think I trained quite hard for that one, in fact!

Really, it's been a tough slog for you over the past three months or so, and I hope you don't get too tough on yourself. You had some great goals at thestart of the year, but as with any season in which a serious injury rears its ugly head.....

Good decision to get to the bike tech guys tomorrow, and good too to be armed with both sets of wheels!

Keep in touch, and I hope you don't disappear until sometime Sunday. But if that's how it happens, have a great race on Sunday -- and let those water weeds sooth your troubled mind!!

2010-07-02 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2958984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-07-02 6:14 PM

thall0672 - 2010-07-02 2:53 PM Anne and Mandy: Knowing you are both fans of quinoa, I thought I'd share a recipe. I had a bunch of sliced mushrooms on hand the other day that were about to go bad and I didn't know what to do with. I have a mushroom barley soup recipe but didn't have any barley, so I replaced the barley with quinoa. It came out yummy. Let me know if you want me to post the recipe. Tracey

I'd like to try that recipe, Tracey.    If you enjoy quinoa dishes, I have another good one - Quinoa with Charred Corn, Bell Pepper and Spinach.   I got it from Rose Reisman who has written a book of recipes aimed at runners - The Complete Light Kitchen. 

That sounds like a good one, I'd like to try it. Here's the recipe for the soup:

MUSHROOM QUINOA SOUP

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 10-ounce packages sliced mushrooms
8 cups vegetable broth (or whatever flavor broth you like)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes more.

Add water, broth and quinoa and bring soup to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and continue simmering for 30 minutes. Season with pepper and serve.

2010-07-02 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2959081

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Congratulations on snagging the coveted 5000th post here at GrooveTime!! You have brought fame and glory to the family name!

And if that doesn't bode well for having a good race at Peterborough, I don't know what does!

2010-07-03 12:59 AM
in reply to: #2957932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
stevebradley - 2010-07-02 10:20 AM DENISE - There are 2,493,623 unique and great eateries in NYC, and you're right in scratching your head as to why they chose an Olive Garden instead. It must be the loaf of warm bread that comes on the cutting board! And how are you filling your days in his absence. (Don't tell me that you ate at an Olive Garden last night!)

Well - our daughter decided she wanted to come home for the 4th so I just got back from a 13 hr round-trip to Madison to pick her up. (that's like a SteveB trip)
Denise

2010-07-03 3:33 AM
in reply to: #2949429

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
ANNE,

Good luck this weekend!!! Rock out that swim and bike!

Kasia
2010-07-03 3:47 AM
in reply to: #2959351

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
I know there's been a lot of silence on my part this week, but that's all due to work and being busy rather than the debacle of a tri last week. I'm still in it, not to win it, but instead to move up to middle of the BOP. I've finished it, now I want to get better!

I appreciate all the comments and will get back to you guys more personally after the 4th of July weekend (Happy Independence Day for you Americanos!).

On the triathlon front, I've done absolutely nothing all week. There're a few group rides scheduled for this weekend, but the day after the Oly I developed a weird foot skin problem that I have yet to diagnose. Yup, yet another insult to injury situation from the dreadful Oly. So far: LL2L 3 Kasia 0. And I definitely count the bike scratch/gash/disfiguration as a point for the tri. And whatever's going on down there (the foot, that is), is also the triathlon's fault. Duh.

Anywhos, I'm wary of going into the pool or slipping on my biking shoes while I figure this thing out, and you all know my *love* of running (sarcasm, anyone?), so it's been pretty easy to justify hanging out instead of exercising. That will all change next week, I promised myself, since now that I've looked at the calendar, it's already July, which means August and September are not nearly as far away as I thought. Gotta get to training!

From what I've been glimpsing, seems like everyone is having very successful training sessions. Keep on kicking butt, guys!
2010-07-03 3:51 AM
in reply to: #2959352

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
And I want to thank you all for not being soccer/football-philes. I've had to avoid all internet during the day (except for work email) for the past month in order to be ignorant about the scores of the World Cup matches. You are one of the few websites I can check knowing I will be safe. Yet another reason BT and GrooveTimers are amazing.
2010-07-03 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Just checking in quickly while my daughter is still in bed.  Couldn't figure out why I couldn't post anything until I realized I wasn't logged on.

Olive Garden in NYC??  That just seems sacriligous (sp?).  DENISE, too bad you didn't come with them, we could have met up. We ate at Max Brenner's last night and then went to see an off-Broadway show that my daughter is currently in.  Thinking about going to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens today.  Should be nice today before really warming up tomorrow.  My flight was delayed for 40 minutes on the tarmac yesterday waiting for one the the rain bands from Hurricane Alex to pass over.  Evidently Houston had a lot of rain yesterday.

Good luck to ANNE and TRACEY this weekend in their races!!  DENISE and STEVE B, enjoy your time with your daughters.  

LISA 
2010-07-03 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2959352

User image

Champion

KASIA -

So glad to have you back, to hear that you're mostly okay. The foot thing (whatever it is....) sounds a bit odd, but then again, in my experience many foot things are odd. My feet have taken a colossal battering over the years, to the point where they look very wretched 24/7/365. When I was about 20 I had a girlfriend for a while who fancied herself an astute photographer, and she said that I had beautifully photogenic feet. (How's that for a pick-up line?? ) So, she took lots of photos of them. But that was this and this is now, and my feet have suffered the ravages of time to a fare-thee-well. Ah, me.....

Anyhow, I don't know what's up with yours, and I hope at least it is something that isn't causing pain or discomfort (as in itchscratchitchscratchitchscratch). It might be time to hit the foot product aisle at your favorite large pharmacy!

Don't feel bad about taking the week off -- many people do after a demanding race, and more people should. That was a very big effort you put forth at LL2L, and I can tell you with all certaintly that your body has appreciated every relatively inert thing you've done in the past six days. And with nothing on the schedule for you, it's simply the perfect time to let those numerous micro-tears in your muscles repair themselves.

A week or so after I bought my first Cervelo in '01, I brought it to my school because I was planning to do a ride after work. I didn't want to leave it in the car in the kinda-removed parking lot, so I brought it into the classroom with me and parked it behind my desk. i had a terrific group of grade 5s that year, and let them look at it with the simple instruction to not mess with the shifters get on and not to try to get on it. The kids observed this fully, but one of the boys wanted to see how much it weighed and picked it up slightly....then stumbled......and the down tube scraped against the metal on the edge of my chair. Result -- a three-inch scratch, through the paint and down to the aluminum. I was floored, but the poor boy was devastated, practically in tears. I couldn't be mad at him, but everytime I saw the scratch over the years, it bothered me just a little. However, the good news is that it never affected the performance of the bike, and the other good news - if you ant to view it this way - is that that first scratch was joined, over the years, by many, many others. I guess I HOPE your bike doesn't sustain any more war wounds, but.........

2010-07-03 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2959448

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

As for World Cup, I juts have too much trouble with all of the histrionics to enjoy it fully. There is the hands-aside-the-head in disbelief, the shirt-into-the-mouth in incredulity, and the goal celebrations that seem to ignore any of the teammates, even the guy or two who made the gorgeous passes. I do love the low-key announcers and some of their phraseologies, but that's not enough to get me stuck to the TV. I watched much of the Netherlands-Brazil game, though, and pleaswd with the outcome. I might watch them in the semi, and then again in the final if they make it there.

2010-07-03 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2959452

User image

Champion

LISA -

Miracle of miracles, Jane''s flight here from LaGuardia not only left on time, but arrived about 12 minutes early. I mean, is that even POSSIBLE in this day and age of air travel?!?

Enjoy the city, enjoy the show! Which one is it that she's in?

2010-07-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2959455

User image

Champion

RACES TOMORROW --- SUNDAY, JULY 4

ANNE -

Peterborough Triathlon Half-Iron Swim Bike
(2km swim, 90km bike)
or
(1.2mile swim, 56mile bike)

Peterborough, Ontario
8am mass start

TRACEY -

Harvard Pilgrim 10K

Foxborough, MA
9am mass start
(finish at 50 yard-line of Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots!)

2010-07-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2959329

User image

Champion

DENISE -

So it not just you and the dogs and cats after all! Do you have to repeat that trip when she goes back to Madison? ACK! Well, at least put her to work in the garden while she's there, eh?

2010-07-03 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Good luck Anne and Tracey! Kick some butt!

2010-07-03 5:14 PM

Master
Kitchener

Hello from PETERBOROUGH!      

Thanks to all who sent their best wishes.   It's nice to know that someone cares.   

Weather is great; water is great; body is feeling good (what's this you say - is that actually Anne talkingWink

Had my bike looked at by the owner of a shop in Milton who just got back from Couer d'Alene in Idaho.   He transports bicycles for the Ironman races and services them.   He worked on the cables, adjusted the derailleur, trued the front wheel - all for $10.00.   Gave me heck because my chain was dirty and I actually clean it all the time (mostly).  Said I was putting too much lub on it.  Took it out for 10km and COULD NOT believe the difference, and that I have been riding around for the last month or so with it like it was.  

Hope I can tell you that I am still feeling great after the race tomorrow.   Laughing

2010-07-03 7:13 PM

New user
Anne and Tracey,

Best of luck in your races!!!!

Everyone else, I hope you're having a great 4th of July!

Edited by smarx 2010-07-03 7:19 PM
2010-07-03 7:18 PM

New user
STEVEB,

Master running shoe fetish man...So I went to a running store today. Not the greatest experience but I was not looking to buy and was up front with them about that.

Based on wear and what I wanted their biggest recommendation was the Nike Free or a pair of those water shoe looking running shoes that are purely meant to be barefoot running on a paved surface.

Other recommendations were the Saucony Ride 2 and Mizuno Rider 13.

So what do you think?? Huh?? No rush. We shall talk about this more when I am in your neck of the woods.

Also, my oh my do I like REI's garage sale's. I am now the owner of a set of Profile Design T2+ aero bars (ones I was looking at anyways due to the s bends vs my L shaped bars), Keo Classic pedals (no cleats though), a couple more fitness shirts, some biking and x-country ski gloves and a pair of cool/cold weather padded cycling tights.
2010-07-03 10:30 PM
in reply to: #2960058

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

I have tried the Saucony Ride, and found it clunky; I returned them after about 20 miles. I have never owned a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider, but they get great reviews and one of my other group switched to them late last season and is now a True Believer. As for the Nike Free, I think people either love 'em or hate 'em. hey're the opnes that best simulate barefoot running, yes? And weigh about 6.5oz? I think I have heard that you need REALLY good mechanics to make those work perfectly and without threat of injury, but I might be confusing them with somehting else.

All of the above are for people with high arches and/or who are neutral or underpronate, so that supports the initial assessments of your foot type. This seems to put you on a clar path with what to look for, anyhow!

And good job on the REI haul -- that's quite a fine stash of goodies!

2010-07-03 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2959944

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Is that the best use of $10, or WHAT?!? Bonus, bonus, bonus!

Enjoy the new feel tomorrow - it should be a revelation at the very least. Have a great race, and just chew up those distances!

2010-07-03 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2959459

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
TRACEY,

Good luck in your 10k tomorrow! Gillette Stadium must be an awesome place to finish.

Edited by augeremt 2010-07-03 10:34 PM
2010-07-03 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2960223

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Have fun frolicking at the fifty! Keep your pace in line, just like at Escape, and have a grand old time cruising through Foxborough. (Is that a Harvard Pilgrimage you're undertaking tomorrow?) (groan......)

Regards to Donna from me. (She's quite the enthusiastic character, isn't she?)

2010-07-04 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2959459

User image

Champion

YO! ANNE! TRACEY!

Mojo to both of you!

Anne, you must be milling around t-zone now, listening to the 14th in a series of 23 pre-race announcements, soon to head to the lapping waters of bucolic Beavermeand Lake. I will do whatever I can to make sure the winds are favorable to you going BOTH ways on the bike!

Tracey, I see you getting together that sweetly lmited amount of gear needed for a road race, and heading off to Mecca de Patriots. Lewis Carroll coined the term "galumphing" from gallop and triumph, so I hope you have a fine time galumphing your way to the 50-yard line. May Wes Welker be there to drape the medal around your neck!

Have fun, ladies!

2010-07-04 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts

Hey all. Very quick check in after the 10k.

It was HOT. That's all I have to say! My performance wasn't great, but I finished. I couldn't believe the number of people. One guy told me there were almost 4,000 registrants.

More details later...

Tracey

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276