BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-07-18 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2988515

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

LOGO ALERT!!!

For a view of a different sort of triathlon logo, go to www.westpointtri.com, and then click on 21st Annual West Point Triathlon --- and remember that West Point, when not known as the Mules, are known as the Black Knights.

I hope that's the design on the t-shirt!!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-07-18 8:08 PM

2010-07-18 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2988441

User image

Champion

TRACEY --

THERE you are! I've been looking all over for you! I was wondering if there was a big vacation that I had missed reading about, but alas and woe, just work. Yech! But --- is this the project you had mentioned at the pasta feed, something that you hoped would materialize. if so, then I guess overall it's a good thing, yes?

It is too bad, however, that your first plan isn't going to work, but keep in mind that for many people the plans just keep getting re-tooled and born again as various of life's other pressure exert themselves. So, don't feel badly that you are having to bring down your weekly hours from 6-8 to 3-5. If you can make those 3-5 hours serve as quality workouts, then you should be fine for Timberman. And, yes, i will be happy to look at what you've come up with for the new plan!

On that course with Mandy on Friday, I feel safe saying that your emphasis should be bike and run, probably in that order. The run will have you doing a gradual climb for the better part of the first 1.55 miles, and then you will be rewarded by the gradual decline for the second 1.55 miles. The bike will present you with 2-3 decent climbs going out and 2 on the return -- a good swack of which will be a sweet, long descent. And the swim, as I've said, will be nice and straightforward -- a diagonal out to the firts buoy, then staringth across, and then a 90-degree right turn for the return to the beach. Piece of cake!

As for Whaling City, i don't think you're as poorly prepared as you might fear. Five runs is pretty good, and while another ide or two might've helped, remember that it is a pretty simple course AND closed to traffic. I don't remember any mention of topography beyond flat, so it'll just be cranking away for the three (I think?) loops and then heading out on the run. And the swim is .25, or .33 at most, and you know you can do that with impunity! Have you gotten there yet to swim the actual site?

Fear not! You'll have fun at Whaling City!

2010-07-18 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2988557

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Yes, it was a good week for some of us connecting! I double-dipped with Shaun on Monday and Tuesday and then Mandy on Friday, while Shaun double-dipped with me as above and then Anne (and Ken) on Thursday. For me it was great -- roughly seven times the human contact I normally have per month!

As I told Mandy, my ride was her was obly the 5th time EVER that I have ridden with anyone else outside of a race. Consequently, i have poor bike manners, and have yet to fully figure out hand signals. Part of that is due to where I do 99.9999% of my riding -- no traffic lights, and not enough traffic to justify signaling for anything at all. I think the hardest part of riding the 56 miles of the Timberman course was trying to do the right thing so as not to get Mandy or Winnett killed! WHEW!!

2010-07-18 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2988166

User image

Champion

LISA -

Thanks.....but in that photo I see two female humanoids and one male mannequin. Could I look any more rigid and stunned?

Edited by stevebradley 2010-07-18 8:09 PM
2010-07-18 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2988515

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-07-18 8:41 PM MANDY - "Class IV whitewater recovery", eh? THAT'S hard-core! Today was not a whole lot bettwer than yesterday. There was a none-too-swift 30-minute swim, then an okayish 43-minute run. About half an hour later I embarked on the bike, and just felt flat as I struggled against the wind and fought the rollers and fairly minor hills. I thought I would fare better coming back with the wind behind me, but I just didn't have any "punch" in the legs. i ended up doing 34km, which is about 21 miles, and was glad when it was over. I will only swim tomorrow, and then see how recovered I feel for a bike and a run on Tuesday. And it was yo-yoing I did , I tell you! How's the Bailster?

As you know, I live very close to a world-class whitewater gem of a river and am a retired raft guide.  So I go down the river for fun now and then for kicks.  This weekend was a good one to go!  I swam in the AM before.

I hope you recover OK!  My legs are a little tired still, I am thinking a swim tomorrow myself.  That yo-yoing was impressive, I will tell ya that!    I just got an email from Winnett asking me to thank you again, and that you are her hero. 

Bailes, the Bailster, Bailey boo...bubba. My boy!  Thank you so much for asking!  He is doing...OK.  he can't eat hard food so now he is on a diet of brown rice, veggies, and whatever meat/protein we had for dinner.  So now we cook for 3 at night..."Don't forget to throw a burger on for Bailey!"  Tonight it was an extra chicken breast, extra rice, and extra veggies - so we make tomorrows meals for him tonight - basically he gets the leftovers I guess, but at least he is eating.  I swear, when he gets better he isn't going to want to go back to his boring old dog food.  He isn't himself, but he is eating, drinking, moving around some.  He gets tired very easily.  I am now not sure about going to IMLP...I am waiting to see what the vet tells us the test results are.  I will keep you posted!

Cheers,

Mandy

2010-07-18 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2988593

User image

Champion

MANDY -

I hate to tell you this, but I think Bailey-boo is playing you. I have heard that Berns are quite intelligent, and he has this all figured out -- no more kibble, but rather a sympathy diet of burgers and chicken and all sorts of exotica. Bliss for Bailes!

Regards back to Winnett, and also this:

When I told her about the no-passing zone on that final downhill, she asked me if the USAT three-bike-length rule is in effect, and I said I thought so. I guess I still do think so.....but it seems as if people have not observed that rigorously in the past. I suspect that lots of people "cheat" on it, maybe because they are tired and maybe becasue they're just impatient. It is definitely not one of those cases where anything will be gained by drafting, which is why I put "cheat" in quotation marks.

If you and she and everybody else can contain themselves for that final 1/4 mile (at most) that would be best, as it would be terrible to get a 4-minute penalty at mile 55.84 of the bike. Or, just ask at the info session....but I'd just try to be a good do-bee and sit back the three bike lengths.

Another way to manage it is to make sure you know the landmarks leading up to that spot so that you can gun it and pass soemone isf you think they will be slower han you are in the no-passing zone. I think there is the scenic viewpoint just before the n-p zone, so at that point if you or Winnett have anything left in the tank, you can go for it.

But the final way to manage it is maybe the best -- use that stretch to go into a moderate spin by way of loosening your legs up for the run. Preceding that, get out of the saddle and work your long muscles that -- put it in the big ring and maybe your 14 or 15 cog, and stand up and work it. That will help to activate your calves some, and also your quads. And then in the n-p zone, just spin along and get used to a faster turnover -- which you will want as musch as possible on the run.

Lotta words to a simple question, huh?

2010-07-18 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2988842

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

As for the vanilla milk shake, which seemed like a good idea maybe gone kind of bad........it was gone before I made it to route 89. In fact, i think it was gone by the time I made it through Andover, and probably by Franklin I was regretting that I hadn't bought TWO of them! I hydrated quite heavily going home, but nothing tasted as good as that milkshake. Yummilicious!

2010-07-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2988557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-07-18 9:00 PM

TRACEY --

THERE you are! I've been looking all over for you! I was wondering if there was a big vacation that I had missed reading about, but alas and woe, just work. Yech! But --- is this the project you had mentioned at the pasta feed, something that you hoped would materialize. if so, then I guess overall it's a good thing, yes?

It is too bad, however, that your first plan isn't going to work, but keep in mind that for many people the plans just keep getting re-tooled and born again as various of life's other pressure exert themselves. So, don't feel badly that you are having to bring down your weekly hours from 6-8 to 3-5. If you can make those 3-5 hours serve as quality workouts, then you should be fine for Timberman. And, yes, i will be happy to look at what you've come up with for the new plan!

On that course with Mandy on Friday, I feel safe saying that your emphasis should be bike and run, probably in that order. The run will have you doing a gradual climb for the better part of the first 1.55 miles, and then you will be rewarded by the gradual decline for the second 1.55 miles. The bike will present you with 2-3 decent climbs going out and 2 on the return -- a good swack of which will be a sweet, long descent. And the swim, as I've said, will be nice and straightforward -- a diagonal out to the firts buoy, then staringth across, and then a 90-degree right turn for the return to the beach. Piece of cake!

As for Whaling City, i don't think you're as poorly prepared as you might fear. Five runs is pretty good, and while another ide or two might've helped, remember that it is a pretty simple course AND closed to traffic. I don't remember any mention of topography beyond flat, so it'll just be cranking away for the three (I think?) loops and then heading out on the run. And the swim is .25, or .33 at most, and you know you can do that with impunity! Have you gotten there yet to swim the actual site?

Fear not! You'll have fun at Whaling City!

SteveB:

Woe and alas indeed, just work! The project I told you about that I had been assigned to was actually put on "indefinite hold" (which essentially means it was cancelled). But because of all the layoffs the company has made since Pfizer took us over, project teams are now quite "lean", which has left some gaps, so they quickly re-assigned me to another project that had a hole to fill. I'm very grateful to have work for sure, but they are getting their money's worth! I haven't been this busy in a long time. My new manager is real doozie. No more taking off from my office for 2 hours at a time for training. But anyway...

I really appreciate you having a look at my training plan! You can actually see it here on bt.com. I think I made my training plans visible to others, so I think you just click on my user name to access my profile, then click on logs. Then at the top where it says "jump to", go to Calendar, then Planned. If you select August 2010 you'll see a full month of the training.

So this is actually a 16-week sprint training plan that I downloaded from BT.com. Of course I’m racing during this 16-week period, so the build-up and taper that they’ve presumably worked in don’t really apply. But hopefully that won’t matter too much since we’re talking sprint distance. I’ll be building in taper weeks as needed for my race weeks anyway.

It’s a 6-day-a-week schedule, but I’ve condensed it into 4. This allows me to have weekends off, which is almost a necessity for me, and also have 1 weekday off per week (I thought it would be good to have this cushion in case there’s ever a day during the week that work is so crazy I can’t fit in a workout). (I think I mentioned to you before that my husband works nights and weekends so my workout time is limited at those times with the little one around...)

I consolidated the Sunday and Monday runs, which I don’t think is a big deal, since that puts the longest run at just under 1 hour, and there aren’t too many of those. Same deal with the swim. It will be hard to get to the Y more than once per week, given the travel time involved, so I doubled up on the two workouts to make one. Again, the longest swim is less than an hour. The only thing is that an hour of laps can get pretty boring (back and forth, back and forth...)

I also moved the Friday ride to Thursday, to make it a bike/run brick.

I need to also do 2 30-minute strength training sessions per week, so I'll be working those in wherever I can fit them.

Let me know what you think once you’ve had a look. Thank you, thank you!

I was afraid you’d be warning me about Timberman hills! I’ve gotten spoiled by the relative flatness of the Cape Cod area. I had a feeling Timberman would be challenging, being up in NH. After all, the race website calls the course challenging, so that means IT IS!

Donna and I are actually headed to the Whaling City course this Wednesday after work to practice the swim. I think we’re going to do at least part of the run course too. And I’ll be sure to drive the bike course to check that out as well.

Thanks Steve!

Tracey

2010-07-19 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2988469

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-07-18 8:09 PM ANNE - First and foremost, far be it for me to not be happy with anything that any of you do! I'm thrilled with every accomplishment -- big, small.....or even maybe just perceived -- and mostly just want to see people staying motivated and encouraged to keep working at it. NOW! That out of the way, you have every right to feel very excited! That overall bike placement is phenomenal, especially against the field of talent that is usually drawn to the Trisport races. Another bike step towards learning how to push it on the bike! Speaking of which, at least for me it was a loooong process of learning how hard to push and still have something in the tank for the run. I could probably go back through all of my 2007 races and figure out at which point the lessons of my '06 aqbks began to bear fruit in my '07 tri runs; I will do that later. But what I can tell you now is that it is an on-going process, and even at the point at which you might think you have something left.....you sadly find out that you really didn't. Or, conversely and more satsfyingly, you fear you've maybe overshot yourself ('Uh-oh......") and left it all on the bike, only to realize that in fact there was something good left for the run. Ta-da! So, you did what uyou did, and finished strong, and felt after the bike that you could've continued..........it doesn't get much better than that! I guess you must be REALLY psyched for Muskoka, huh?

Understood.      It's really just me slightly unhappy for not executing the ride quite how I wanted.   Wanting to please the teacher, you know!   Laughing  You have given me great advice and instruction and just a tad disappointed I didn't come through, but I WILL say 'didn't' NOT 'couldn't'.    I made some conscious decisions during the ride which did affect the final outcome but I'm OK with that. 

As I'm writing up the RR, I am making some notes and just want to throw them out to you now.

At 8km mark, avg speed was 31.8; turned into west wind till about 11km where we turned around and at 15km average speed as 31.36; at 17km it was 32.14.   This is where we turned into the north wind with the 5km gradual climb - at 20km my avg speed was 29.9 and finished with 29.3.    I felt the best I have on this little stretch but my speed was only 23km/hr.    I forgot to look at avg speed when we turned back into west wind for final stretch, but even into the wind it is a slight down hill and I was always about 34km/hr so probably gained back a bit.

Although the route was different than last year, the important stretch where I lose the speed was the same and the winds were the same.    Last year at 15km I was 32.5 and finished at 29.0; this year I went from 31.3 at 15km to 29.3 so didn't lose as much, which hopefully means I am stronger.   From 15-17km we are also doing a gradual climb but had the wind behind us so was able to get to 32.14 at the 17km mark.

I hope all this data isn't too much information to be giving you to try to make some sense of it.   

I have been paying attention to your talk on strength training and both Ken and I have strayed from it the past 2 years and we have noticed the difference.   We don't do heavy duty lifting, but what I would call functional strength training for triathlets.   Just in the past month where we have upped the intensity on the bike can I feel some strength coming back into my legs.    That is going to be a focus for us over the winter.

WHAT ELSE?    When I was cycling the first 10km my average speed was 35km/hr for a great part of it, and it was feeling fairly comfy, so I said to myself why push it - this is a good speed.   Ken called that lollygagging (jokingly).  In retrospect, I think I should have pushed harder through there.   I think I only came out of aero 3x to take a bit of 'recovery' and slowed a bit - drank, ate a fig.    Even though my speed up the gradual climb was 23, I passed everyone and no one passed me.   I was breathing very hard but not dying, but my legs didn't have any more push to give, so I think this is telling me that I need more strength.   When I had my LT testing, he told me my legs gave out way before my lungs. 

Realistically, if all goes well, and the winds stay at 20 or less for Muskoka, I think I should be able to finish the bike with an average speed between 26 and 27.    Just judging from previous races, and people that I know who are stronger than me on the bike, that is what I am hoping for.  

ONE MORE THING:   I wore my HR monitor and didn't look at it once - just wanted to see what the end result was and compare to my RPE and get a good feel for how much harder I could push in Muskoka  Well, I forgot to press the button until 20 minutes after stopping the bike and the average HR was still 130 at that point.   Based on the # of calories burned and what Ken's average HR was (145), I know I was in Z4 for the entire time.   Ken and I have the same average HR's on all our rides within 1-2 beats of each other.   I think it is because we train together and do pretty much identical training.   I tend to push harder on the training rides than he does.   He pushes harder on the races than I do.   

I'm feeling really good today with no heavy/sore legs so I do plan to push harder in Muskoka. 

Going to recover today and do a yoga class.    I realize no training I do this week is going to make me faster for Muskoka.   What might you suggest as a plan for the week?  

Thanks Steve.  

2010-07-19 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2981668

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-07-14 7:43 PM RACE REPORT -- Mini-Mussel Triathlon (sprint - 750 meter swim, 16.1 mile bike, 3.2 mile run), Geneva NY, 10 July '10 PROLOGUE This is my third year here. The race began in '04 with a sprint and hal-iron, both on the same day. It became a two-day event in either '05 or '06. In '04 I did the sprint, in '08 I did DoubleMussel88.7 (sprint on sat, half-iron on Sun), and then this year it was just the sprint. For about 23 different reasons, this is my favorite event anywhere. Lynn and I drove down on Friday, accompanying heavy rain and thunder much of the way. I picked up all my packet stuff at about 6, and then we ate in a good downtown Geneva restaurant. We were in the motel about 10 miles away by about 8pm. The race didn't begin until 9am with transition not open until 7, so it was a rare chance to take things kind of slow and easy on race morning. I ate my usual - apple juice, a bagel, and tea. I got to the site shortly after seven, did all my check-in stuff, found my rack, figured out the flow of things, and just just hung out with Lynn -- as well as talking to a couple of people I had met at previous races. The only confusion was that since I was there in '08, the swim had been moved a fair bit east, so everything was differnet than it was two years ago. This added distance to the previous bike and run --- but that sort of thing always works to my advantage! SWIM I was in the 6th (55+, both M and F) of 7 waves, each separated by 6 minutes. By the time I entered the water, the first turn buoy had drifted about ten feet closer to the corner, shortening by swim by that much. Yay! I got off to what I thought was a good start, the furthest person on the right side. As the swim progressed, i felt great AND was surprised that not more people were pulling ahead of me by leaps and bounds. i managed to catch a draft off a woman for about a minute, and then she pulled ahead and stayed just about 12 feet in front of me for the rest of the swim. I continued to feel that I was swimming well and not being overtaken by others, and shortly after the first turn I started passing people from the previous wave.....and then some from the wave before that. As the swim contuinued to wind along the canal (VERY cool swim course!), I was passed by no other white cap. What the ??? I was thrilled to exit the water at about 13:40, and even more thrilled to arrive at t-zone and find most of the bikes in the area of my swim wave still there. Whoopy! 13:44 (1/13 age group, 208/868 overall) T1 Mostly okay, but had some trouble with my chip strap getting all twisted as I took off my wetsuit. And speaking of which, i should've gone sleeveless -- by about 500 meters into it, I was feeling very warm! 1:45 (1/13 a.g.) BIKE I love this bike course, which is flattish and rollerish, with just one or two hillish things. It heads south for about 7 miles, then goes east for a couple, then back north for the final 7. The wind was at our backs on the out, and in our face on the back. It wasn't real bad, though, but it played a role. I was passed by no one, and reeled in lots of 50-54. I passed one 55-59, but as I wasn't certain as to who in my wave came out of the water ahead of me, I expected to find more. There weren't, and it was a superb ride for me, finishing at 21.5mph. I arrived back in t-zone to find NO bikes within 30 feet of either side of my racking spot. 45:18 (1/13 a.g., 55/868 overall) T2 Good, but I diddled around some with my laces, making sure they were just so. I think I was feeling a bit complacent, given that there were none of my peers there. That was not wise, it's one of those habits that could come back to haunt me sometime! 1:25 (3/13 a.g) RUN The run is flat except for a 4-foot rise at the turnaround, and goes along the north shore of Seneca Lake. It is very beautiful, and also user-friendly, traveling on paved bike paths. I was mildly taxed from the hard effort on the bike, but overall felt good. I was, however, very pleased to see the first aid station shortly before the turnaround, and had both water and HEED; same thing hitting it about five minutes later on the way back. At the two-mile mark I was passed by a 55 year-old, and while I hoped to catch up with him, i couldn't do it (but didn't try too hard, either); he finished ten seconds ahead of me. Other than him, I was not passed. I went through mile 1 at 7:12, and mile two at 14:04 -- those pleased me immensely! I finished the 3.2 miles with a 7:08 pace. 23:49 (1/13 a.g., 84/868 overall. TOTAL 1:25:01 1/13 M60-64 71/868 overall finishers FINAL THOUGHTS: Probably my most complete race ever. Skimpy nutrition: a gel before the swim, ~14oz of CarbBoom! drink on the bike.....and that's it! Silly sloppiness in T2. Best t-shirt EVER!!! In goody bag were running gloves, with the intrepid mussel-dude* on each. BONUS! I love this event. LoveloveloveloveLOVE!! *I'll try to steer you all to a picture of him. Or is it a her?

I loved reading your race report.   You have made me REALLY want to do this race.   Forwarded the link to Ken and put it into next year's calendar.  

Your entire race was great and even your swim was awesome.  
2010-07-19 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
STEVE, MANDY,

I'm looking at what races are available for me to do after Muskoka that might allow me to get that bike goal I am after and noticed the Lobsterman says flat and fast and has an aqua/bike.    I know you both have mentioned it, but can't remember what you said.   I think you liked it?

I checked out the Burlington, Lake George and Esprit races but they don't have the a/b and Lake George doesn't sound flat.   I'm not going to start back with the running for this season at this point.  

Any other thoughts? 

2010-07-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2989988

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
latestarter - 2010-07-19 1:11 PM STEVE, MANDY,

I'm looking at what races are available for me to do after Muskoka that might allow me to get that bike goal I am after and noticed the Lobsterman says flat and fast and has an aqua/bike.    I know you both have mentioned it, but can't remember what you said.   I think you liked it?

I checked out the Burlington, Lake George and Esprit races but they don't have the a/b and Lake George doesn't sound flat.   I'm not going to start back with the running for this season at this point.  

Any other thoughts? 

Lobsterman! Lobsterman! Lobsterman! Lobsterman!

Great race.  Fabulous course.  Super well organized.  But I wouldn't call it flat at all.  Constant, relentless rollers.  No major climbs come to mind, but what I do remember is that it is not flat.  I don't think Will Thomas knows how to create a course with a flat bike ride, but he sure knows how to run an organized and fun race. 

The water is freaking cold on the swim, you want a wetsuit with sleeves, buoy temp was 54 degrees last year, I came out with claws for hands.  The year Steve did it I think he said it was warmer, so it is a crap shoot depending on the currents I guess.  People I talked to loved the Aquabike.

I will be there, so let me know what you decide so if you go we can say hello!

Mandy
2010-07-19 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2987312

User image

Hey Steve et. all!

Yes, pics will be posted...just need to figure out how!  LOL. 

Yes, was bummed not to race this weekend, but glad I did not.  Did a good swim and bike on PCH on Saturday, but the run on Sunday as a DISASTER!  Just don't have the legs back yet to do the 13 miles the way I'd want to. Plus, with the heat wave out here, I would have really, really suffered - and not in a good way.  I completely understand suffering when you are strong and pushing the bleeding edge.  But to suffer when you are weak - that's just not a good policy in my book.

Also, got me thinking that I probably did not execute my Post-IM recovery as well as I should have - I think I may have pushed too hard too soon - especially with the running and that set me back both physically and mentally.  I'm HOPING that the past three weeks of pretty much complete rest will pay dividends both physically and mentally as I ramp things back up.

Anyway, regarding Silverman...I had to laugh when I read that, as right now, I am now completely undecided on what to do with the rest of my season.  I'm changing my mind every 5 minutes about what I want  to do:

Definitely will do:
Long Beach Half Mary - 10/14
Nautica Malibu OLY - 9/11

Then it's either:
Plan A:
Pumpkinman HIM on October 24
Silverman HIM on 11/7

OR
Plan B: 
Silverman FULL on 11/7

Until I backed out of Vineman, I was planning on doing Plan A.  Now I'm a bit peeved at myself and thinking Plan B would be a good and fitting punishment.  I'm really trying to decide (or my ego is trying to decide) which would be a more rewarding challenge - two HIM's in 15 days, or a tough IM course to avenge the performance at IMSG.  (Yes, the male ego is a fragile thing!)

I have 14 weeks till Pumpkinman and 16 till Silverman.  Like I said, I'm hoping that the rest will help me ramp more quickly and with more passion in the coming weeks.  I'm not particularly worried about the swim or bike for an IM distance - I'm confident I can rebuild in that time frame -  just the run is a concern at this point.  My goal for the next 4-5 weeks is to see what I can achieve in building my run back up while preventing any injuries, and will decide by August 31st if I potentially have the legs back to give an IM distance another shot this season. 

My run yesterday was tough, a lot of run for 10, walk for 2.  The lungs felt fine, but the legs felt like jelly.  I'm sure part of that was just the absurd heat we have here right now, and that the legs have gone kind of soft in the past couple of weeks.  I'm looking at the next 2-3 runs to tell me if the muscle and joints respond well and will rebound. 

We'll see!  Onward and upward!

2010-07-19 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Oh - HUGE milestone (of a sort) was hit this weekend!  First flat tire in 5 years. 

I've now decided that there is nothing scarier than doing 30+ mph downhill in aero position after changing a flat. 

Spiders, maybe.  But it'd be a close call. 
2010-07-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2991176

User image

Champion

GANG!

Looooong day today, with phone line repairs down the road affecting our phone service and, of course, our internet. So here we are, all nicely restored......and I'm off to bed. I shall return tomorrow!

2010-07-19 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2991439

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Just a couple of quick thought before going to bed:
(1) Lobsterman is great, although Mandy is right about the swim being frigid. My year, '08, was maybe about 60-62, that sort of thing. The swim was measured short, which I think was just a goof rather than a concerted effort ot get us all out of the water as quickly as possible. As for the bike, it is a blast! I don't tremember any serious hills, but much as Mandy said - rollers, rollers, rollers. We satyed in a tent in the adjacent campground, with t-zone a four-minute walk. Our tent faced east over Casco Bay, and the morning was beautiful. How often can you watch the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean on race morning???
(2) Look in the 113 (half-iron) swim-bike at The Canadian (www.somersault.ca)!! It costs only $82 up to Aug. 23, and $101 up to Aug 29. This is the one that has six out-and-backs along a completely closed-to-traffic Colonel by Drive, and the course is kind of made for time trial efforts -- maybe just the thing you're looking for? The swim is in Mooney's Bay, which is very clean and pleasant. There is a kind of long jaunt from the water to t-zone, but in '06 with my meniscus torn (but mostly repaired by then), it wasn't too much at all. I've done the HIM here three times, the iron once, and the aqbk once. maybe I'm due for another visit this year! (Can I do two HIM in two successive weeks? I will probably sign up for Half Vermomnt Journey on the 29th.)
(3) Half Vermont Journey has an aquabike.....but the cost is $179 US -- same as for the whole half-iron. It is a BEAUTIFUL venue, though, and worth considering if the price isn't too prohibitive.

Let's talk about #2 and #3, okay?

And now it is past my bedtime!!

2010-07-20 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2989019

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

I've got the goods! That is, I found the plans and have printed them and will go over them carefully later. For now, though, they look really fine, and you've done a great job of adjusting the base plan to meet your own specific needs. Without even considering that the core is another plan, what you have will set you up quite well for Timberman.

Here are a couple of thoughts for you:
(1) If you are kind of dreading the laps at the Y, then reduce those sessions. I think at this point you can take a good guess at your swim time for Timberman; what's your prediction? Let's say it's 15 minutes, and then add 5-10 minutes for that for your longer continuous swim sessions. I just don't think for the Timberman swim that you will benefit a lot from going too "overlong".
(2) What might help you for that swim is to take a "lurk and pounce" approach in the pool. What that means is wait at the end of the lane until someone comes along, and right when they turn you follow after them. And then when you get to the end, lurk until the next person comes along. This will get you used to swimming in bubbles, just adjusting to the bit of turmoil that might happen at Timberman. I have meant what I've said about the T-man swim being very straightforward and user-friendly, but the waves are a tad large and there is some funneling heading out diagonally to that first buoy. I truly doubt you'll get thumped or anything like that, but the lurk and pounce tactic in the pool will make you just a bit more comfortable on race day.
(3) You've been really good at working on technique stuff, and if you want to honor the time commiyment of the BT plan that you have adapted on Tuesdays, then do a continuous swim and follow it with some drills, or vice-versa. I guess you know that many people say that ALL swim workouts should include drillwork, so you can do that and end up feeling quite righteous!
(4) How much flexibility do you have on August 11 and 12? Could you take the 12th for a bike day and go for the whole 67 minutes on your wheels? (And switch the Thursday run to the day before?) It would be good to get in at least one one-hour-plus ride, which leads me to....
(5) August 4 and 6 -- could you combine those two to make one ride; pick your day? That would have you at 70 minutes for your long ride that week, and that would be good. I rode well at T-man last year, and lost just a minute to a small mechanical issue, and my time was 44:50. I don't quite know how to extrapolate (interpolate?) that to get a prediction for you, but I just think that at least two hour-plus rides would help you get both physically and mentally ready.
(6) Can you get to any hills for a ride or two? That would also be beneficial!

Later I will try to summarize the bike course for you, seeing as how it's fresh in my mind from last Friday. There is one small change in the sprint course from what Mandy and I did on the HIM course, but that actually works in your favor (i.e., nicer stretch of road). Anyhow, I will try to give you an accurate "walk-through" of the bike course!

2010-07-20 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2991460

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-07-19 10:57 PM ANNE - Just a couple of quick thought before going to bed: (1) Lobsterman is great, although Mandy is right about the swim being frigid. My year, '08, was maybe about 60-62, that sort of thing. The swim was measured short, which I think was just a goof rather than a concerted effort ot get us all out of the water as quickly as possible. As for the bike, it is a blast! I don't tremember any serious hills, but much as Mandy said - rollers, rollers, rollers. We satyed in a tent in the adjacent campground, with t-zone a four-minute walk. Our tent faced east over Casco Bay, and the morning was beautiful. How often can you watch the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean on race morning??? (2) Look in the 113 (half-iron) swim-bike at The Canadian (www.somersault.ca)!! It costs only $82 up to Aug. 23, and $101 up to Aug 29. This is the one that has six out-and-backs along a completely closed-to-traffic Colonel by Drive, and the course is kind of made for time trial efforts -- maybe just the thing you're looking for? The swim is in Mooney's Bay, which is very clean and pleasant. There is a kind of long jaunt from the water to t-zone, but in '06 with my meniscus torn (but mostly repaired by then), it wasn't too much at all. I've done the HIM here three times, the iron once, and the aqbk once. maybe I'm due for another visit this year! (Can I do two HIM in two successive weeks? I will probably sign up for Half Vermomnt Journey on the 29th.) (3) Half Vermont Journey has an aquabike.....but the cost is $179 US -- same as for the whole half-iron. It is a BEAUTIFUL venue, though, and worth considering if the price isn't too prohibitive. Let's talk about #2 and #3, okay? And now it is past my bedtime!!

You've got me excited!    They both sound good but right now I'm liking the Vermont one.   Either one, we would make a mini-vacation of it.   I am still checking out the Vermont race, but don't think I would be setting any records there.    I also already have it in our plans to do the Cdn IRON aqua/bike next year.   I didn't even know we could do that distance - just figured we would have to take a DNF and that's alot of money to pay for that.   

2010-07-20 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2991176

User image

Champion

STEVE -

You're not a tubular guy, are you? That's one reason I haven't gone that way -- the fear that I would glue them back on all wrong and they would shred and slough off under the first sign of duress. Clinchers may have their problems in changing, but I usually feel that once done, I'm okay.

But, yeah, 30+mph after a change would have me white-knuckled, too!

And remember -- spiders are our friends. They eat all the bad buggies in the house!

For me, it's cheese that is scary. Boogedy-boogedly!

2010-07-20 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2991082

User image

Champion

STEVE again -

Great decision on by-passing Vineman, for the reasons you state in your post. Suffering in general is not necessarily a good policy, but to do so when weak(ened) just magnifies any pre-existing or potential problems. When I have had to bail on the race, most everything is better the day after. I mentall suffer the day of, wondering "what if", but if I can make it past that, i'm usually okay. Or at least most of the heart tugs are gone by then.

You know, though, I thought you handled the post-IM recovery quite well. i can't remember the specifics, but I never thought "Oh, my....", or anything even close to that. It seems that you treated yourself really well for several weeks, which usually should be enough before jumping bACk into things.

The more I hear about IMSG, however, the more I realize it was a very "special" race in terms of exquisite torture. So whereas my ideas of post-IM recovery came out of a quite-hard IMLP and a relatively-easy The Canadian, that just may not be enough to make any judgment about how to manage recovery after St. George.

Finally, there is no exact template for post-IM recovery. I guess it all comes down to trying to guage one's body as accurately as possible...............and hoping that the assumptions turn out to be correct!

"Fitting punishment", eh? Oh, you are a tough taskmaster! You know that many people would say that Silverman half-iron is punishment enough, but of course the real thrill comes from doing the whole deal. Right? But it's close enough to you that there is a lot to be said for doing the half this year and then using that experience to attack the full in 2011.

HOWEVER --

Maybe you know this, but the world long-course tri championship in '11 is on the Silverman course, so there is a chance that the full iron will not be given its full due in '11. I doubt the organizers would allow that to happen, but it's maybe human nature to give more attention to the marquee event. The other thought here is that I'm not sure the Silverman half will be open to general entry in '11, as I believe the only U.S. qulaifier for it is this year's new race in Myrtle Beach. Probably what they will do, however, is have two divisions -- the one competing for the Worlds, and the one for pople just wanting to do Silverman HIM. Blah, blah, blah.

Finally, your time line for reaching a decision is a good one, giving you ample time to see how you feel about your running legs --- and to see where exactly your head is at. I'm kind of on the same time line for Beach 2 Battleship, with two differences -- the half is already closed out, and I have until Oct 1 before the price increases again. Ideally, though, I would like to know by September what I might be doing in November -- especially if it's a full iron!

Yup -- onward and upward!

2010-07-20 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2991839

User image

Champion

ANNE!

YEAH! Keep thinking hard about HVJ! I've been a mouse-click away from signing up for a couple of days, so if you go, I will, too.

Later on I will tell you what I know about the bike course, which isn't near as bad as the compacted profiles make it look on the course map. (A better idea comes from the elongated profiles that are on the Course Description page.)

But I'm back to the TdF now, and will return in a while.

(And think about the vacation options, with wondeful hiking, great shopping, one of the best small cities in the world (Burlington!!), and so much more!)

2010-07-20 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2992028

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Happy anniversary! It was a week ago that you made your first assault on the Gats, and I wish you many happy returns!

Beyond that, any positive updates from the doc yesterday?

2010-07-20 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2992020

User image

stevebradley - 2010-07-20 7:26 AM STEVE again -  It seems that you treated yourself really well for several weeks, which usually should be enough before jumping bACk into things. The more I hear about IMSG, however, the more I realize it was a very "special" race in terms of exquisite torture. So whereas my ideas of post-IM recovery came out of a quite-hard IMLP and a relatively-easy The Canadian, that just may not be enough to make any judgment about how to manage recovery after St. George. Finally, there is no exact template for post-IM recovery. I guess it all comes down to trying to guage one's body as accurately as possible...............and hoping that the assumptions turn out to be correct!

Finally, your time line for reaching a decision is a good one, giving you ample time to see how you feel about your running legs --- and to see where exactly your head is at. I'm kind of on the same time line for Beach 2 Battleship, with two differences -- the half is already closed out, and I have until Oct 1 before the price increases again. Ideally, though, I would like to know by September what I might be doing in November -- especially if it's a full iron! Yup -- onward and upward!

Hey Steve, thanks for the post.  Yes, tricky on the recovery on IMSG.  I don't think it really has anything to do with that course (hey, an IM is an IM).  I took about a week off and then started to ease back into things.  But, 2, 3, 4 weeks out, my run was still terrible, joints hurt, HR was high, stuff like that.  Arms/back/shoulders were sluggish in the water.  The only thing that felt somewhat good was the bike, and that was not great either.  I'm not sure if I should have pushed harder to work through some of that, or should have backed off and spent more time away from tri all together.  It's weird really.  I remember finishing Showdown at Sunset and immediately after crossing the line, thinking to myself, "WOW, that was hard!"  I was really exhausted, afraid I had pushed myself too hard - but come that Monday, I felt fine and was right back at it.  Post IM, I'm still just not quite right - although the motivation level is back.  I'm going to try to ride this motivational burst to some better training sessions (within reason of course).

We're on the same exact page with regard to our race day decisions!  My deadline for deciding is based on registration discounts as well - hey, it's good to have a deadline!  I see your points on the IM vs. HIM....the pendulum is swinging back to HIM right now! 

Anyway, today is 2 days in a row getting up early to train...we'll see if I can make the trifecta tomorrow...3rd day is always the hardest for me when starting up again.  Swim yesterday was good, bike this morning was good, and I'm going to try to do a 30-minute run this afternoon (nice and easy and see what shakes out). 

Here's to the process!
2010-07-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2992028

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-07-20 10:30 AM ANNE! YEAH! Keep thinking hard about HVJ! I've been a mouse-click away from signing up for a couple of days, so if you go, I will, too. Later on I will tell you what I know about the bike course, which isn't near as bad as the compacted profiles make it look on the course map. (A better idea comes from the elongated profiles that are on the Course Description page.) But I'm back to the TdF now, and will return in a while. (And think about the vacation options, with wondeful hiking, great shopping, one of the best small cities in the world (Burlington!!), and so much more!)

OK, I've got Ken thinking now.        We may have to forego our August canoe trip to make this one work but I'm OK with that.   September is still a good month for canoeing.

We could make a big loop going via Kingston and coming home through the Finger Lakes.   The price kind of threw Ken off a bit, but I'm doing a good job of selling it.      It seems to be well run and you get lots of cool stuff!     I'd say were 90% there.   Will confirm 100% tomorrow.  Keep that mouse handy.  
2010-07-20 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2989019

User image

Champion

THIS COMING WEEKEND ----

Is it TRACEY at Whaling City and ANNE at Muskoka......and nobody else? Let me know if any of you are getting kind of twitchy to be racing, okay?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276