BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-25 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
Wendy- Good luck tomorrow! Have fun with it and smile for the camera.

2011-03-27 12:40 PM

Burlington

Hello to all. Can't wait to hear how your race went, Wendy!

Worked out this week, but didn't log anything until today. And I did my race yesterday, but modified -- I hadn't signed up, just in case it was cold, and I could not bring myself to race outside in 20-degree weather. It probably would have been OK, except that the wind was bitterly cold. So I allowed the native Californian in me to decide Friday night that I would 'race' all by my lonesome, and I suspect I was a happier camper for it.

Putting together my race goals today for between now and September. Swim clinic is going OK; need new goggles so gotta get those today. 

How's everybody else doing this weekend?

2011-03-27 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3416500

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
greenhousevt - 2011-03-27 1:40 PM

Hello to all. Can't wait to hear how your race went, Wendy!

Worked out this week, but didn't log anything until today. And I did my race yesterday, but modified -- I hadn't signed up, just in case it was cold, and I could not bring myself to race outside in 20-degree weather. It probably would have been OK, except that the wind was bitterly cold. So I allowed the native Californian in me to decide Friday night that I would 'race' all by my lonesome, and I suspect I was a happier camper for it.

Putting together my race goals today for between now and September. Swim clinic is going OK; need new goggles so gotta get those today. 

How's everybody else doing this weekend?

Hey Kim - Welcome back from your vacation.  I understand about training in the cold. I can do with warmer temps...hopefully soon.  If you're looking for a new pair of goggles I would check out swimoutlet.com they seem to have the best prices.  Also checkout swimplan.com the site will make up workouts for your level of swimming.  

Wendy - How did your race go? Looking forward to reading your race report.

2011-03-27 2:21 PM

User image

NH

Kim - It's fine to do a "race" by yourself.  In fact, if you learn to push on your own it becomes even easier in an actual race.  Be aware that there's something about being around other people competing which brings out the best in us all, so expect a little worse results on your own.  In terms of cold weather training, that's a personal thing.  My "too cold" is someone else's acceptable weather.  Personally, I don't mind cold but I can't stand rain, even when it's warm out.

Wendy - Can't wait to read your race report, hope it went well and you had some fun.

I got to swim today, so I'm feeling really good.  I just love swimming, even though I mainly give it up for the winter.  My Achilles is really bugging me while running, so I'm going to see my ART guy tomorrow.  Hopefully it's nothing which will require down time.

2011-03-27 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Wendy, I hope your race went well.

I took 2 and a hlf times the recommeded rest from my doc. Started back on 3 miles runs and was up to almost 6. Well, Saturday, I went for an 8 miler. At mile 5, my left knee felt funny (same leg as previous stress fracture). It started as pin pricks then it started to hurt a little. I took a motrin hoping to get back to my car. The pain got worse. It hurt t bend my knee but if I keep it straight, it felt stiff. I got to mile 6.75 and absolutely knew I couldn't make it to the end. The pain was there and i had so little motion. My group dropped me at a local school and headed back then someone came back for me with her car.

Everyone keeps telling me I may have been ovecompensating because I was scared to reinjure my foot.
With icing and ibuprofen, my knee is still stiff and painful to bend.

I am a chronic case of injury. Do I need to take the whole summer off or what?

Lovey

2011-03-27 8:17 PM

User image

Nevada

Well....For my first triathlon..the swim was disappointing...the USTA said the water was too cold so we couldn't swim, it became a duathlon. Since I had trained on the bike and run course previously I changed my strategy of finish with a smile to PUSH IT. With a head wind of 12-24 mph and uphll of 1500ft in 10 miles, My avg was 8.9 mph. My 5k was under 10 minute miles. Don't have my final times yet, but was pleased with my performance. If there was any doub, my legs are sore today!

For now instead of a formal race report..I understand the swim cancel, but for money spent, lousy food at finish, had to pay for beer, which they ran out of way early, and had to wait 2 hours after last sprint person finished for awards. 

3 weeks until the next attempt. Hope the water is warmer

2011-03-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3416997

Burlington
Wendy, congrats on your duathlon! Your times sound great for both bike and run. I'll be rooting for warmer water temps for 3 weeks from now so you can do the swim, too. In the meantime, it sounds like your focus will need to be on packing good food and entertainment for after the next race based on your mini report!
2011-03-28 3:30 PM

User image

Regular

Wendy -  great job on your race!  I know I'd be disappointed if the swim was canceled (mainly because of how slowly I run!) but if the water was cold enough to cancel, it probably would have been pretty miserable, right?

Lovey - so bummed to hear you're battling another injury!  how very frustrating that must be

2011-03-28 3:48 PM

User image

Regular

Well, I now have the triathlete's equivalent of "the little black dress" -- I bought a wetsuit this weekend!  (for the guys here, we women believe that if you have the perfect black dress, the event will come)  So far, the tri's I'm registered for this year won't require a wetsuit, but I've got some cold open water swims planned and just might be able to get into a local tri in May. 

Edited by alsiedee 2011-03-28 3:52 PM
2011-03-28 7:15 PM

User image

Nevada

Okay if you want to read the down and dirty on the Showdown at Sundown here you go...

http://bit.ly/fBHKSa

ps i don't know how to put in a direct link. If someone could let me know that would be great

Edited by Jacks4life 2011-03-28 7:17 PM
2011-03-29 6:56 AM

User image

NH

Wendy - Serious bummer to miss out on your first tri.  But wow, what a great race given the conditions.  It's strange to cancel the swim due to water temps, but that's the game.  We can't control the things beyond our control!  Great job HTFU'ing and hammering a great run.  After that bike, I can't believe you put together such a solid run.  Super job.

Ally - Have fun with the wetsuit.  And come do some tris in New Hampshire/Maine!  I don't ever anticipate a tri without a wetsuit up here.  Timberman was close last year, but the 10 days before the race we were in the high 20s/low 30s at night (in August!) so the water cooled off for race day.

Swimming in a "black dress" is very different so I would suggest trying it out for all of you who plan to use one in a race.  It feels so restrictive when you start, but once some water gets in there and you get used to it, you can really fly due to near perfect balance.

2011-03-29 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Wendy - Great job on your race.  Nice job making the decision to knock out the bike and run, when the swim got cancelled.  I hope you enjoyed it and smiled for the pictures.  Congratulations! 

When is your next race?

Warren - How's your Achilles??

Alli - You'll need your "Black Dress" for your Tri Rock - Annapolis race.  Is your Tri group doing any open water swims before the race? 

2011-03-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3419737

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2011-03-29 11:59 AM

Wendy - Great job on your race.  Nice job making the decision to knock out the bike and run, when the swim got cancelled.  I hope you enjoyed it and smiled for the pictures.  Congratulations! 

When is your next race?

Warren - How's your Achilles??

Alli - You'll need your "Black Dress" for your Tri Rock - Annapolis race.  Is your Tri group doing any open water swims before the race? 

Achilles was somewhat better on today's run.  My ART guy really tweaked me yesterday - it was the most painful session I've ever had.  He said there's a lot of "junk" in the calf, but hopefully only one or two more trips should clear it up.

2011-03-29 6:58 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Hi Gang!!

Sorry for the lack of posting but I have been a little out of sorts.  Training is going but I have a lousy cold, now going on week 2, so I have cut back on my workouts some.  Almost no running last week.  Like everyone else we are having a 50 degree day rapidly followed by snow flurries the next, so I have yet to pull my bike off the trainer. 

In addition to work and working out, we are doing some construction on our house and we hosted our annual St Pat's party on the 20th for 25 people. This week my car decided to not start so I am wasting some time trying to arrange rides and such.  Will tow it into the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out.  Hoping to be back in the groove in April!!

2011-03-29 8:26 PM

Burlington

Wendy - loved the Showdown at Sundown race report! And while already I was impressed with the times you shared earlier this week -- now that I see how bad the wind and hills were, I have more kudos flowing! Nice work. Though, I do have a question -- did the race start at Sundown? Wink

Congrats on the black dress, Ally. I am jealous! Can't wait to hear about the dress rehearsals.

I think I have recruited my first person to BeginnerTriathlete.com -- someone from my swim clinic. Yahoo!

Kathy - take care of yourself; this cold/flu thing has been traveling everywhere. I hope you feel like you're on your way out of it. 

And Warren -- OUCH! I do hope the pain precedes the improvements....

2011-03-30 6:03 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Hello all!

Congrats on the race Wendy - great job out there. Wind on the bike is really my nemesis - you did a great job pushing through it and putting in a very solid race. Next time - with water!

For the wetsuit - a couple of pointers:  1) get a gallon ziploc bag and put it over the appendage you are trying to put on (on your foot if you are putting your leg in, on your hand if you are putting your arm in) and push until your foot/hand pop out the end - then you can take off the plastic bag - it just makes sliding the whole thing on easier and 2) pull everything up much farther than you ever thought you needed to. It's kind of like putting on panty hose (the women will understand)....just keep ooching the suit up - how I think about it is the more room I get out of the legs, the more room I have for my shoulders.

Warren is right - definitely practice swimming in the wetsuit - it feels really different.

Warren - so sorry to hear about the junk in the ankle (just doesn't sound the same as junk in the trunk)...I hope it gets better.

I had my first "Bike Maintenance" class last night (four weeks of learning how to work on your own bike given at the LBS)...it was really good, but I am still covered in chain grease.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2011-03-30 2:22 PM

User image

Nevada

"just keep ooching the suit up" 

Hey Jennifer, "ooching", is that a technical term or like "LBS"  HahaLaughing

Wendy

2011-03-31 6:01 AM

Burlington
Oh man! Does anyone else in the Northeast feel like the approaching storm is one cruel April Fool's joke?
2011-03-31 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3422867

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

greenhousevt - 2011-03-30 7:01 PM Oh man! Does anyone else in the Northeast feel like the approaching storm is one cruel April Fool's joke?

Truly - we're supposed to get 6 inches and most likely school will be cancelled. After spending yesterday walking the dog with only a t-shirt on - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

(and yes, "ooch" is a technical triathlon term...snerk)

2011-03-31 6:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
We are getting a cold rain, which I shouldn't complain...since it isn't SNOW!  
2011-03-31 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3422867

User image

Nevada

greenhousevt - 2011-03-31 6:01 AM Oh man! Does anyone else in the Northeast feel like the approaching storm is one cruel April Fool's joke?

Wow I feel for you guys. You've had such a rough winter and now more! You probably don't want to hear that I'm thinking I need to change my workouts from afternoon to morning because we're having highs in the 90s already. It was almost 70 when I left for work this am. 

Hang in there it has to be Spring Soon!

Edited by Jacks4life 2011-03-31 1:47 PM

2011-03-31 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3423386

User image

NH
Jacks4life - 2011-03-31 11:52 AM

greenhousevt - 2011-03-31 6:01 AM Oh man! Does anyone else in the Northeast feel like the approaching storm is one cruel April Fool's joke?

Wow I feel for you guys. You've had such a rough winter and now more! You probably don't want to hear that I'm thinking I need to change my workouts from afternoon to morning because we're having highs in the 90s already. It was almost 70 when I left for work this am. 

Hand in there it has to be Spring Soon!

Actually, I enjoy living vicariously though those who are in a more fortunate weather reality than we New Englanders, so post away.We're expecting 4-6 inches as well, but mixed with rain, so I'm prepping for my first really nasty commute. It's supposed to be almost all rain where I work, so that makes me think it'll be messy snow/rain/mush at home since I'm on the crossover line.Think of this Jennifer - the half you're running Sunday was 75 degrees last year! Ah New England...
2011-04-01 8:38 AM

User image

Regular
okay... after seeing your wx reports of snow & sleet, I guess I'll stop whining (to myself) about it being a cold & dreary day & get out there ...
2011-04-01 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

My Oly race, May 22 in Columbia, MD I was able to  drive part of the run course yesterday, which winds through a neighborhood.  The neighborhood is very hilly and I have only been running on the treadwheel.  Some of the hills would be difficult on a bike, much less running them.  The bike course is also hilly with 2 or 3 good climbs.   I think the swim is even hilly...haha. Yes I will take some cheese to go with my WHINE!

My question is do I increase my distance, or start doing some major hill work??  or maybe try to combine a little of both??  I was hoping to do 3.5hr race, but after seeing part of the run, I just want to finish.  

Hopefully you guys further north did not get any snow...

2011-04-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3425196

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
scott1223 - 2011-04-01 11:04 AM

My Oly race, May 22 in Columbia, MD I was able to  drive part of the run course yesterday, which winds through a neighborhood.  The neighborhood is very hilly and I have only been running on the treadwheel.  Some of the hills would be difficult on a bike, much less running them.  The bike course is also hilly with 2 or 3 good climbs.   I think the swim is even hilly...haha. Yes I will take some cheese to go with my WHINE!

My question is do I increase my distance, or start doing some major hill work??  or maybe try to combine a little of both??  I was hoping to do 3.5hr race, but after seeing part of the run, I just want to finish.  

Hopefully you guys further north did not get any snow...

Can you get time to ride and run the course? Sunday mornings there are bikers riding the course from Centennial park. You could run the course after for a brick workout. I have run the course before and my running ladies gave me mean looks the whole time when they had to run those hills. I would highly recommend you trying to get ont he course before race day. If you can't, the treadmill needs to be on some hill work. the race director, Vig, is known for hilly courses.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23