BT Development Mentor Program Archives » IronAnneKidd's Mentor Group - Closed for business! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-02-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3365951

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Subject: RE: IronAnneKidd's Mentor Group - Closed for business!
oliveu363 - 2011-02-21 6:51 PM Hey Everyone!

I have been occupied by my grant writing but worked out pretty much everyday this past week and started with a 15 mile bike ride today! I would really like some suggestions on bikes! I have a Fuji and its really light weight but its only a 7 speed.  There is a bike shop that is willing to make modifications to my bike but i was wanted to get some suggestions from you guys first. Hope everyone is doing well! 

If you trust the bike shop and your Fuji is in reasonably good shape, I would say go for it. Bikes are the easiest way to sink a ton of money for the least amount of gain in terms of time. This is universal in biking. The engine (you) is where you will make the most gains in time unless you are competing at a very high level. IF your bike is safe and reliable and you can modify it for a reasonable cost, this is much more cost effective than sinking thousands in a new bike. This of course also depends upon your future plans and aspirations. If you intend to compete in many tri's for years to come, especially at higher levels, a new bike can be considered an investment towards that goal. Did that sufficently muddy the waters? Laughing

2011-02-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3366927

User image

New user

Thanks! You actually told me what i was hoping to hear.  I dont know how trustworthy the bike shop is but there are several in the area if i don't like the one I have found. 
2011-02-22 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3366637

I am here today Anne! glad to hear you and others are starting to feel better!

I did fianlly get some more serious training in this weekend I took the racing bike out on Sat. while my kidlets were at a 3+hour long class. I encounterd some really strong cross winds which I am not used to, one gust nearly took the bike out from under me!

Then Sun i got in a pool for the first time since last summer. It was rough at first, my breathing is terrible but it was a coached workout I tend to push harder during those even though I was the only "beginner". I got in 850yds and a little bit of ab work which I am still feeling around my waist!
2011-02-22 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3365951

Veteran
Indiana
oliveu363 - 2011-02-21 7:51 PM Hey Everyone!

I have been occupied by my grant writing but worked out pretty much everyday this past week and started with a 15 mile bike ride today! I would really like some suggestions on bikes! I have a Fuji and its really light weight but its only a 7 speed.  There is a bike shop that is willing to make modifications to my bike but i was wanted to get some suggestions from you guys first. Hope everyone is doing well! 

Depending on how hilly the area is where you're doing your Tri, I would not worry about the number of gears. If it's relatively flat, you may not even need all 7 of the gears you have.

I am not a bike expert by any stretch of imagination, but generally it seems to me you can usually upgrade the whole bike - and do better for your money - rather than re-componenting an old bike. "Personal fit" items like saddles, handlebars, stems, seat posts, etc - are the exception that often do make sense. But it is hard to imagine turning a 7 speed bike into a 21 speed or whatever and that turning out to be a good value for the money you spend (particularly paying a professional mechanic to do the work).

Edited by alath 2011-02-22 9:46 PM
2011-02-23 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3262562

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Good morning mentee's!
2011-02-23 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3368008

User image

Champion
alath - 2011-02-22 10:44 PM

Depending on how hilly the area is where you're doing your Tri, I would not worry about the number of gears. If it's relatively flat, you may not even need all 7 of the gears you have.

I am not a bike expert by any stretch of imagination, but generally it seems to me you can usually upgrade the whole bike - and do better for your money - rather than re-componenting an old bike. "Personal fit" items like saddles, handlebars, stems, seat posts, etc - are the exception that often do make sense. But it is hard to imagine turning a 7 speed bike into a 21 speed or whatever and that turning out to be a good value for the money you spend (particularly paying a professional mechanic to do the work).

This!

You could buy a new bike for what it would cost you to upgrade components.

2011-02-23 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3367014

User image

Champion
TriathlonMum - 2011-02-22 12:10 PM I am here today Anne! glad to hear you and others are starting to feel better!

I did fianlly get some more serious training in this weekend I took the racing bike out on Sat. while my kidlets were at a 3+hour long class. I encounterd some really strong cross winds which I am not used to, one gust nearly took the bike out from under me!

Then Sun i got in a pool for the first time since last summer. It was rough at first, my breathing is terrible but it was a coached workout I tend to push harder during those even though I was the only "beginner". I got in 850yds and a little bit of ab work which I am still feeling around my waist!

Good job!!!
2011-02-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3368169

User image

New user
NW Indiana
ironannekidd - 2011-02-23 6:27 AM
alath - 2011-02-22 10:44 PM

This!

You could buy a new bike for what it would cost you to upgrade components.

Good morning all......hope everyone is having a great day. Got my swim and bike workout in last night. Weather is iffy around here again so I put my "new" bike on the trainer for my first workout on it. Hoping to do an outdoors run between jobs this afternoon. In regards to Olive's bike question, I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse or be argumentative, but I would respectfully disagree with purchasing a new bike vs recomponenting. Again....assuming her Fuji is sized correctly for her and in good repair, a COMPLETE groupset upgrade to Dura Ace can be had for less than $500.00 plus labor. It's unlikely it would need a complete group and also unlikely to need Dura Ace quality. A drivetrain only upgrade to a mid level components is a $200-$300 project. Even assuming a top dollar upgrade with labor of $750......you cannot buy a quality tri bike for that or even a top quality road bike. Just my humble opinion.Wink
2011-02-23 9:32 PM

Did it again walked three miles today taking my 10 year old with me. She kept up nicely I was doing only 20 min/miles it is a start for both of us though!

Edited by TriathlonMum 2011-02-23 9:36 PM
2011-02-23 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3369711

User image

New user
NW Indiana
TriathlonMum - 2011-02-23 9:32 PM Did it again walked three miles today taking my 10 year old with me. She kept up nicely I was doing only 20 min/miles it is a start for both of us though!

Great job!

Didnt get my run in but made up for it at work.....2 hrs of scba training....kicked my butt! But was able to keep up with the youngsters 20 yrs younger than me. Will get my run in tomorrow AM before work, I hope.
2011-02-23 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3369720

That reminds me I need to set up for a ride in the am. I have a really hard time getting out of bed in the am due to sleep apnea. I need to workout in the morning while one or the other of my elder DDs are home with the 8 and 10 year old so it is get out of the bed or give up on Triathlons and good health. never mind all the productive hour I loose trying to squeeze a bit more worthless sleep out of the morning...

2011-02-24 5:55 AM

User image

Champion
Good morning everyone!

Got some yoga in last night. It's officially time to start moving again. They are calling for cold, windy, and rainy here the next few days so most of my time will be spent on the trainer, and lifting weights, plus doing more yoga.

What does everyone else have going on?
2011-02-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3369861

Veteran
Indiana
ironannekidd - 2011-02-24 6:55 AM Good morning everyone!

Got some yoga in last night. It's officially time to start moving again. They are calling for cold, windy, and rainy here the next few days so most of my time will be spent on the trainer, and lifting weights, plus doing more yoga.

What does everyone else have going on?

Long work day today for me.

Did manage to get up early enough for a 30 min treadmill run, but that will be about it for today.
2011-02-24 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Looks like everyone is moving along.  That's great.  Finally got to the gym for some work the last couple of nights.  Snowed here last night so back to the gym tonight for a short brick (first one).  Plan is calling for a 25 min ride/20min run.  Hope everyone has a good day.
2011-02-24 4:12 PM

9.2 mile on the bike for another pair of workouts Lets see if I can make it a trio. I went in the early afternoon asi simply could not get out of bed this am. I will ahve to get over that as by summer afternoon ride will be to dangerous! Evening are out as the kids are at dance classes and other activities so either i firgure a way to get out of bed or well or nothing have to work this out.

I had a pretty good ride though I am finding it more discouraging as the first season of Tri's I trained for I started in Aug Post a major surgery the one that made this all possible to start with) I started with one mile run 3 miles bike and  few hundred yards swim all at painfully slow paces so anything was an improvment! LOL Now I know waht I was doing before and am falling far short. I just have to keep telling myself I will get it back and more!
2011-02-24 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
I'm officially registered for the Marine Corps Marathon.

I have a half marathon in April, then nothing until the end of August. 3 races in August, and 2 in October. I might have to find something else to add.

2011-02-25 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Good morning everyone!
2011-02-25 6:41 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Hello everyone. Hope everyone had a productive week. I, for one, am struggling to stay focused and motivated. I don't feel really challenged by the training plan. (except for the swimming, which continues to be drudgery). As far as the running and biking portion, I feel like I'm just getting going when I reach the time suggested for the day. I dont want to over reach and injure myslf, but I feel like I can do more. Well, I have a couple 5k's in the next few weeks....perhaps that will challenge me enough to keep focus. And....the weather HAS TO get better so I can move my run and biking outside.....have I mentioned I loath winter? Hope everyone has a great weekend...Dan
2011-02-26 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3373116

I love winter but not the kind they have out here. First it is cold but no snow just cold with biting  hard winds. Then we pop up to the 70's and just as you begin to think it will stay that way it is cold with the winds again only this time snow and ice are prideicted. not the fun snow just enough to make a mess not enough to play :P 70's yesterday Snow and Ice tomorrow @@ make up your mind already! LOL

I have had trouble motivating also but I have now gotten in 3 days in a row! Past experience tells me no areobic work today I have most often ended up with over training issues wehn I shoot for more than three days in a row especially at first. When I am back in better form I con put in shorter efforts on the 4th day but larger efforts stay in the 1 - 3 day range. I am not as young as I look (humble brag!!!) I am thinking Yoga and some strength and ab work. I wanna go play catch with my 8 pound ball...

Edited by TriathlonMum 2011-02-27 9:46 AM
2011-02-27 1:28 PM

I am on a waiting list to get into a Sprint Triathlon in May I found out today I am #28 so looks good for me getting in! I plan on spending part of this afternoon making a training plan!
2011-02-28 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Good morning everyone!

How was your weekend?

2011-02-28 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3374977

User image

Expert
CenTex
Morning all!  Weekend was good.  No training to speak of but the weather was great!  Went to my son's track meet where he threw the shot 36'5".  He's a sophomore and just learning how to throw shot and discus.

Knee reconstruction #3 scheduled for Friday, so I think this season is mostly shot.  I may do some "aqua-bike", or whatever they're called, but won't be able to run much until late in the year.  I think that after the left knee heals, I'm going to need to have the right knee fixed as well.  MRI showed some tears and it is getting worse, without training.  I can only imagine what it's going to feel like when I get the pain in the left one under control.  Oh well... The perils of being a clyde, I suppose.

Hope everyone is well!
2011-02-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3375461

User image

Champion
cornchexs - 2011-02-28 11:45 AM Morning all!  Weekend was good.  No training to speak of but the weather was great!  Went to my son's track meet where he threw the shot 36'5".  He's a sophomore and just learning how to throw shot and discus.

Knee reconstruction #3 scheduled for Friday, so I think this season is mostly shot.  I may do some "aqua-bike", or whatever they're called, but won't be able to run much until late in the year.  I think that after the left knee heals, I'm going to need to have the right knee fixed as well.  MRI showed some tears and it is getting worse, without training.  I can only imagine what it's going to feel like when I get the pain in the left one under control.  Oh well... The perils of being a clyde, I suppose.

Hope everyone is well!

WOOHOO!!! For your son.

Sorry to hear about your knees.
2011-02-28 1:36 PM

Well it wasn't exactly the weekend I had planned....

Fri. When leaving for the children dance classes we found the driver side rear window was shattered! Turn out if you tell my son to throw the gravel back in the driveway he will literally throw the gravel... DD thankfully had full glass coverage on it so we took the other vehicle into town while elder DD arranged (from her vacation at an archery shoot) for the repair. While in town took a 2 mile walk with youngest DD on getting back to the dance studio we discovered a red fluid had leaked for the car. A lot of red fluid... nice there goes the transmission now stranded and after the close of the business day we went hunting a solution. Found a transmissin shop nearby that I called and the gentleman came in after close to have a look. ended up being a minor repair but since it was a sealed system it had to wait for morning when the shop would open. The shop owner graciously gave us a ride to the airport where we rented a car to get home! (We live outside the city taxi would have cost more!)

Saturday's plans were scrapped and I spent most of the day in the city getting the cars taken care of and other errands. Plus a lovely hour at Barnes and Noble their toy train set is a sanity saver!!

Sunday we had to make up for all the cleaning we were supposed to do Sat so DD would not come home to a trashed house! So no runs or rides and had to skip the weekly swim workout with my tri club I did however get in a dance aerobics class that kicked my butt. hard to skip as the instructor is my 18yr DD Grace! LOL She did a fun workout for us including the little ones age 8 and 10. eldest can't participate but did walk through and roll her eyes a few times LOL we were a sight. Grace did a core and ab workout after the main aerobic part so it was a good all round workout! (I am still stiff!)
2011-03-01 5:45 AM
in reply to: #3375850

User image

Champion
TriathlonMum - 2011-02-28 2:36 PM Well it wasn't exactly the weekend I had planned....

Fri. When leaving for the children dance classes we found the driver side rear window was shattered! Turn out if you tell my son to throw the gravel back in the driveway he will literally throw the gravel... DD thankfully had full glass coverage on it so we took the other vehicle into town while elder DD arranged (from her vacation at an archery shoot) for the repair. While in town took a 2 mile walk with youngest DD on getting back to the dance studio we discovered a red fluid had leaked for the car. A lot of red fluid... nice there goes the transmission now stranded and after the close of the business day we went hunting a solution. Found a transmissin shop nearby that I called and the gentleman came in after close to have a look. ended up being a minor repair but since it was a sealed system it had to wait for morning when the shop would open. The shop owner graciously gave us a ride to the airport where we rented a car to get home! (We live outside the city taxi would have cost more!)

Saturday's plans were scrapped and I spent most of the day in the city getting the cars taken care of and other errands. Plus a lovely hour at Barnes and Noble their toy train set is a sanity saver!!

Sunday we had to make up for all the cleaning we were supposed to do Sat so DD would not come home to a trashed house! So no runs or rides and had to skip the weekly swim workout with my tri club I did however get in a dance aerobics class that kicked my butt. hard to skip as the instructor is my 18yr DD Grace! LOL She did a fun workout for us including the little ones age 8 and 10. eldest can't participate but did walk through and roll her eyes a few times LOL we were a sight. Grace did a core and ab workout after the main aerobic part so it was a good all round workout! (I am still stiff!)

Oy vey! I've had weekends like that, too, Cheryl. Things rarely go as I have planned.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » IronAnneKidd's Mentor Group - Closed for business! Rss Feed  

of 24