BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!
I had changed my goal to a quarter century but I won’t make that either. As you can see from my logs I had very little training due to schedule changes. I am finally trying to get back on track but with an upcoming half marathon, my run has been my focus whenever I could get any workout time.

Hopefully, my swim and bike will be my focus for May.

Bike 9.87 miles so far

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-28 1:12 PM

2010-04-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2823196

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-28 2:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
No more challenges- most of us are now heavy into training for our first races- like Lovey having to focus on the run, my play months are over and this month was a struggle. We did a run challenge/goal in March.

There is a forum with monthly challenges- you should go check it out!

This mentor forum was really for Dec/Jan through end of March, so technically we're done and just here for questions and support. Sorry, Sharyn. LIke I said, check the challenges forum. Those are pretty cool.

2010-04-28 5:07 PM

Arcata, CA
Hey guys, just checking in.  Congratulations to all who participated in the century bike goal!  And good luck to all who are racing this weekend, I know you will do great! 

I am headed across the country starting tomorrow, so I will be in and out as we get to hotels and I find some time to check in.  12 day journey between Central Illinois and Northern California, stopping in middle of nowhere Kansas, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Carson City, Yosemite National Park, and then driving up the coast of California!

While out, I'm hoping to put in a few morning runs to keep my training going.  Once I get to California I will regroup and hopefully find another race to sign up for.  I'll check in when I can...
2010-04-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2823196

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
I have a question about gear for the group....

for the tri, I was thinking about biking in my running shoes, and using toe clips instead of my clipless pedal/shoes...

Is this what everyone else does, or do you take the time to change shoes? 

I'm thinking I can swim bike and run in a pair of spandex shorts and a sports bra (and a wetsuit if legal), in order to minimize transition hassle...

I'd love some advice on this topic!
2010-04-28 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2823683

2010-04-28 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2824499

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am not an expert.

I dont use clipless pedal/shoes.

I swim in a two piece tri-suit with a sports bra underneath (need the support for my large chest). I bike in mountain bike shoes on my hybrid bike and switch to my running shoes for the run.

To make the switch easy between the bike and running shoes, I use elastic shoelaces. Pull off and pull on. The last thing I want is to forget to tie my shoelaces.

Lovey
2010-04-29 8:09 AM

Veteran
Central Ohio
Good luck on the move and the trip across country enkidu.  Be sure to check back in and let us know how it all went.

Run2pray for my tri's I have always just worn spandex shorts, sports bra and a tighter fitting tech shirt.  I have a problem with showing my belly so that kept me covered there.  However there are lots of people swimming in just a sports bras. 

I don't have fancy bike shoes and pedals so I have always just biked in my running shoes.  However people I know who use the clipless pedals and are used to them say they are worth the extra time it takes to change shoes. 
2010-04-29 9:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Run2Pray-

If I'm wearing a wetsuit, I wear a sports bra and bike shorts and my wetsuit for the swim; then off with the wetsuit and throw on a bike jersey for the bike and run. And I do not have clippy bike shoes. I wear my running shoes and have the pedals with toe cages on my fancy tri bike. If I am not wearing a wetsuit, I wear my swimsuit and bike shorts for the swim; toss on a bike jersey for the bike and run.

LOVEY- good recommendation. I highly recommend getting Yanks, elastic shoe tie thinggeeeees. My husband has them on his running shoes; I do not, but he says I should get some.

I'm also planning on purchasing a pair of Tri shorts for my races this year simply because bike shorts absorb so much water in the padding and it bugs me, and for a Sprint race that's fine....but if I want to do an Oly that is a long time to be squishy.

2010-04-29 9:35 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
One of my bike shorts is like adiaper even when its dry so I would never wear those.
My older bike shorts has pads as thin as my tri shorts but I don't know if that's from age or how it was made.

I need new tri shorts. I bought mine from my tri club and the womens didn't fit my big behind.
I bought a men's one. What I hat about it is the length. I don't like my thundr thighs showing but I don't like very long ones either. The club shorts are long and I can feel the band right over my knee. After riding miles, I still feel it so I constantly yank it up my thigh, temporay relief untils it inches back down. I am out to find one that fits mid thigh.

I love skirtsports stuff. They are the only tri top I found that would actually go over my chest and still fit properly.

Lovey
2010-04-29 10:04 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I did 2.34 miles thru the neighborhood today with my son while the other had lacrosse practice. We did a warm up walk followed by a 2 mile run. Well I ran he run/walked. I went slower even though I am already slow.

I am trying to get him to appreciate the benefits of exercising for his health not just what he does in sports. His game in any sport would improve dramatically if he had any running endurance and even a little speed.

I am hoping I can get him to run 3x a week for 30 minutes. I told him he can do the couch to 5K program. We will do 1 day at the gym, my one free night of kids practices, another day while his brother practices and he can do the treadmill on the weekends.

If he runs with me he can get fit and I can get a short but good workout. I worry about his health more because he is 11, 5'3" and about 150lbs. Diabetes run on both sides of the family and so he has a high risk. If I can get him fit, healthy and lose a little weight, that would be a relief. According to the charts, his doc said he should be around 110-115lbs but I am realistic and know unlike his brother, he is not built to be small. That would be too low of a weight for him. He's thick and I accept that but he still needs to lose about 15-20lbs. I think 130 - 135lbs would e a good weight.

Lovey

2010-04-30 6:32 AM

Expert
Troy, MI

Tri Shorts:  My favorites are danskins.  I bought them at the local REI.  They are longer and they have silicone so they don't ride up.  Very think shammy but just enough for a sprint/olympic distance. I like the longer ones for the same reason.  No thunder thighs showing here!

Lovey, boys at 11-14 seem to always bulk up.  You are doing the right thing teaching him good habits now.  Somehow those same bulky boys always tend to thin down when their height shoots up in puberty and then they can eat you out of house and home and still be pretty thin.  Its such a balance with boys.  My son would go between 170-220 in high school at 5'10" depending if he needed to "bulk" up for football.  Have fun.  Just getting him out there is an accomplishment for you. Don't worry about him too much.  He'll be fine as long as he stays active.

Edited by jogo 2010-04-30 6:33 AM
2010-04-30 7:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I totally agree here- boys shoot up with a huge growth spurt in their late teens. But teaching him good habits now is still a very good idea!

LOVEY- good luck this weekend! I'll be thinking of you on Sunday. PHOENIX- I hope the weather holds and you do your half mary, too.

Jo- have fun doing your virtual Half Pig!

Weather forecast is for rain and thunderstorms- hooooooo ray!!!!! Gotta love it! Rest day here, short one mile loosen the legs up run tomorrow before soccer games and driving down to Cincinnati. So excited!

Everyone else- have a great weekend!
2010-04-30 11:19 AM

Veteran
Central Ohio
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  Can't wait to hear all about it. 
2010-05-02 12:58 PM

Expert
Hi Ladies! It was a beautiful day for a run! I did it, as the large blisters on my feet will attest to. Never had blisters like this before. Not sure why, but I'm surmising that it may be because I am learning to run on the balls of my feet more??? The shoes were broken in adequately, so it can't be that. I had fun. Didn't beat my last time, but I'm heavier than I was then, I'm older, I'm much less motivated for some reason (could I be settling into my comfortable little life and not so keen on proving something to myself???) and I didn't train nearly as much. So, all in all, I'm satisfied. And...there is actually another half marathon just about 5 miles from my front door in November on the bike trails. You get to run through an old train tunnel that is 3/4 mile long and dark! I walk with the family and occasionally ride with the family on those trails all the time, so I am well acquainted with the course and it sounds fun, so that's my next goal. To do the full marathon, you have to be able to finish in 6 hours, so that won't be me this year. Not sure why they set that limit...seems a bit unfair! I think marathons should accommodate us old slow folks too!

How did it go for you Anne and Lovey??? Anyone else do a race this weekend?? Hope your weather was as beautiful as it was here in Wisconsin!
2010-05-02 8:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
are you serious about the weather?

at gun time, it was pouring rain, thunder, and lightning, and the power had JUST come back on.

hills. in the pouring rain. for 6.8 MILES.

I had fun- truly. I ran the whole thing, I kept a decent pace (12 mi/mile I hope), and I survived. My blisters and peeling feet are frombeing in wetsocks and shoes for 5 plus hours. I'm still cold. off to bed-

OH, and so far, no official time for me. And I did not stop my watch. HA!

Edited by AKR18 2010-05-03 7:33 AM

2010-05-02 9:39 PM

Arcata, CA
On my journey across the country.  Currently in Colorado Springs   Having a great time, although I attempted my first crazy mountain road and that was enough for me...  oh, what I have to look forward to.

The first leg of my trip took me to Southern Illinois, where I promptly found the sign advertising a triathlon on Saturday.  Turns out it was a mini-sprint with a OWS... so I signed up.  I was by NO means ready for an open water swim and thankfully finished and lived, although in the middle it was questionable.  I've never swam in open water, and granted it was just a lake but with everyone in there (200ish ppl I'd say) and the boats... I just was by no means prepared but finished in 1hr 23 minutes (350m swim, 5 mile bike, 2 mile run).  So... I was happy for a spur of the moment decision.  Upon finishing I showered and left for my ten hour stint of driving for the day and made it to mid Kansas.  Spent the night and made it here to Colorado this morning.  Had a fun day in the caves, and looking all the little shops.  Tomorrow the plan is to go to Garden of the Gods!

Hope all is well, and that everyone is recovering from their race weekends!
2010-05-02 10:03 PM

2010-05-03 7:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
So- timing chip is all crazy. I'm guessing, based on my brother's and my calculations, my run was 1:25 for 6.84 miles. I'm thrilled. The rest of my relay team was much faster- they are not so thrilled.

BUT my big lesson was- I had so much fun, seriously, and I did not care that I was going slow, because I think I can run slow forever. I decided to do a HalfMarathon- told my husband and he is shocked. Because to me, I did not even care about my time. When I ignore my watch I have so much more fun.

Recovery day here. My legs are so sore from the HILLS. And bridges are man-made hills. TOTALLY COUNT BRIDGES AS HILLS.

Congrats on the impromptu tri, Enkidu- glad you survived the OWS.

2010-05-03 8:15 AM

Expert
Anne, you are such a trooper! I am proud of you for finishing in the rain. You don't have to run the whole half marathon. Lots of folks do what I do and run/walk it. It's still an achievement to cross the line. There was a local gal in the race that I knew and we touched base before the run started. She had only done 5 miles in practice. Yikes! She finished, but she said it REALLY hurt, especially mile 11 and on. I am proud to say that only my feet hurt, which is a big improvement over the last half I did. So, maybe my slow training paid off anyway. I did only one 10 mile run in practice and then took it easy, because I had fallen and sprained everything. My ankle felt fine so I'm glad I took it easy in practice. I guess my point is this..even if you can never run the whole 13 miles, at least push yourself in practice to hit the higher miles run/walking so you train your tendons and joints.

Enkidu--you crazy cat!! I know of no one else who would just do a tri on vacation at the last minute!! Congratulations!! I think you've caught the tri bug!!

Sharyn...hmm....impatience. Boy, do I know the feeling. You may never get much faster. I will never ever be a 9 minute or less a mile person. I did the first 2 miles of the race at an 11 minute mile pace, which is pretty much a record for me and then got slower as the miles progressed. My long term goal is to gradually get my stamina up to a point where I run more than I walk. Don't really care how fast, as long as I feel less sore and tired afterwards and feel I pushed myself well. I am always impressed with the number of 70 year old folks out there at these events. They are not fast, but they are really steady. They just know their pace and they keep it! That is my goal. To be out there moving at my own pace when I am ancient. Practice makes perfect.

Jo..how did the virtual race go?? Not sure what that means exactly, so please enlighten me??

Lovey..hope you had a good day for your race!
2010-05-03 11:39 AM

Veteran
Central Ohio
OH my running in the pouring rain does not sound fun at all.  I would probably DNS!  Good job Anne!  And now you're thinking about doing a half marathon I hear.  Woo hoo! 

Endiku - sounds like a great race you lucked into.  Great way to try out the OWS for the first time.  Have a safe trip the rest of the way across the country.

Phoenix - Good job on the half.  It doesn't matter that you went slower than the last time, the main thing is that you got out there and did it.  I cancelled my half this year because I didn't feel I had enough training in to do as well or better than last time.  Today after hearing about everyone's races, I'm regretting not having at least gotten out there and had a good time.  (Although it rained here too, so maybe it was ESP to not do this one)

Sharyn, I'm very impatient too...I just keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race.  Just be consistent and keep at it.

2010-05-04 12:39 AM

Arcata, CA
I'm just crazy, and spontaneous enough and yes, definately have been bitten!!!!  I'm hoping to do a half marathon sometime later this season, though depending on school/work it may have to wait for next summer.  I'll have to wait and see.

Today, I did something crazy.  I walked up the Manitou Incilne in Colorado Springs, CO.  It is a 1 mile walk/run up the Manitou mountain.  It is 1 mile long and goes from an elevation of 6600 ft. to 2100 ft. It used to be an old cog railway, so the rail ties make "imperfect" steps.  It increases at grades of up to 68%.   It took me an hour and a half and was quite the mental battle just to keep walking.  But I DID IT!!!!! 

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

the brown bare spot with no trees running up the mountain is what I hiked up today, took me an hour and a half!
2010-05-04 1:49 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am recovered now. See my race report.

Despite the hot weather (start in 70s, end of race 86), I enjoyed the race and actually liked the 6:30am start. Great organization, easy parking and race small enough not to feel overly congested or crowded at the beginning or finish area. I tried pushing it at the end but didn’t make it with the heat. I didn’t meet my 3 hour goal but I did pass Wal-Mart (mile 9.75) with 30 minutes to spare before the cutoff time and I still beat my last half marathon time by 18 minutes!! Well 18:47 to be exact.

Time: 3:06:05.26

Lovey
2010-05-04 2:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
GINNY- Oct 17- you doing the Columbus Marathon?

(I'm considering doing the Half there)
2010-05-05 8:18 AM

Expert
Enkidu--Wow! A mile straight up into the sky is pretty durn impressive! Did you lose a lung about a fourth of the way up??

Lovey--Way to smash your last time!! Woo hoo!! You are lots faster than me and that is all due to your hard work training. I didn't train nearly enough and was looking all sad faced and quiet the day before the race. My husband just looked at my pitiful "I can't do this" face and said he would MAKE me do it since he had to give up his slimy crud motorcycle ride that was also scheduled that day. I'm glad he made me. Heat is really a big factor! You have now successfully ran in snow and heat! I think you are ready for the pro's.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29