BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-06-14 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2917234

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
dojorun01 - 2010-06-12 8:51 AM

Good Morning All;
I finally got a wetsuit and was finally able to get into open water.  I had two issues while swimming, one is that I started to feel really nausea, not sure what to make of this. Second is that my leg seem to have a mind of there own. They seem to go apart. I have only swam in a pool without the wetsuit and they seemed to be in the correct position according to my swim coach. Any suggestion with either of these?

hmm.... I've never had issues with nausea in a wetsuit, I'm not sure what to tell you on that one. Maybe if you do a few more practice swims in the wetsuit, it will help you get used to the feeling....

As Fernando said, your legs will definitely be more bouyant in a wetsuit! One of the advantages of this is that you really don't need to kick as much, or as powerfully when swimming in a wetsuit, which helps "save your legs" for the bike and run. Again, more practice will help you get used to the way this feels.

I don't know if that's all that helpful, but it's all I got!!!!

2010-06-14 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2918499

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-06-13 2:00 PM

did a mini brick with my 9 year old today. Temp/humidity was worse than Broad Street run. OMG, when running without shade, or breeze, it felt like running in hell!My kid only survived 1 mile running. Did the rest on my own.

I hear ya, too! The heat and humidity are killers for me! For all of you out there, just take it easy and don't try to push your pace too much when the weather is like that. You WILL be slower in high heat and humidity!

Edited to add: make sure you keep yourselves HYDRATED in this weather!!

Edited by jsnowash 2010-06-14 6:03 AM
2010-06-14 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I did a BRICK yesterday. We started a 6am thinking we could beat the heat but it was still hot. After 13.7 miles of hills, we did 4.5 mile run. It was so hot and our bodies seem to not want to respond so we ended up doing a lot of walking.

Lovey
2010-06-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2917234

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
dojorun01 - 2010-06-12 8:51 AM Good Morning All;
I finally got a wetsuit and was finally able to get into open water.  I had two issues while swimming, one is that I started to feel really nausea, not sure what to make of this. Second is that my leg seem to have a mind of there own. They seem to go apart. I have only swam in a pool without the wetsuit and they seemed to be in the correct position according to my swim coach. Any suggestion with either of these?

Missed the nausea part of the question....could that have been the open water factor? How choppy was it? A lot of people can be very sensitive to that (i.e. motion sickness disorder). I happen to be one of them. I use ear plugs, just cause I hate water in my ears, but I have read it can help a bit with the sickness issue. I haven't had a problem while wearing them. Other helpful gadgets include anti nausea bracelets. I hear they work! 
2010-06-15 8:37 AM

Veteran
Hey gang-
Sorry I have been AWOL.  Like Lovey last week, training has taken a back seat to kids, school activities, baseball and everything else in life for the past too many to count days.  It think is is slowing down, finally.  So my running shoes are in the car and ready to go at lunch time.  I am taking a swimming break for a bit.  I know I need to keep at it, but I feel like I am stressing over it too much and sucking the fun out of it.  I met with a swim coach who told me my stroke is pretty good, and I just need to nail down the best breathing rhythm for me.  I think Peddie Lake in Hightstown starts open water swims this week, so my plan is to head over there within the next two weeks and give it a go.  I know I can do the distance, it's my form that's lacking. 

Anyway, I am eager to hear how Kiwi did at Eagleman!  Have fun training all!
2010-06-15 2:40 PM

User image

Hi Everyone,
Training question here. It is tri week for me. I have a 31 min swim scheduled for tonight and a brick scheduled for Wed. Thurs and Fri are scheduled as "off" and my sprint tri is Sat. Here is my question, I have an opportunity for an open water swim and transition clinic on Thursday night (never did an OWS in NJ lakes only Caribbean-haha) My question is should I forgo my swim at the gym tonight and do the OWS on Thursday? Or will that screw up my taper week too much? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2010-06-15 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2923515

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-06-15 3:40 PM

Hi Everyone,
Training question here. It is tri week for me. I have a 31 min swim scheduled for tonight and a brick scheduled for Wed. Thurs and Fri are scheduled as "off" and my sprint tri is Sat. Here is my question, I have an opportunity for an open water swim and transition clinic on Thursday night (never did an OWS in NJ lakes only Caribbean-haha) My question is should I forgo my swim at the gym tonight and do the OWS on Thursday? Or will that screw up my taper week too much? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keiren,

Swimming is pretty easy on the body compared to biking and running. I don't think doing the swim on Thursday would mess up your taper at all, and sounds like a good learning opportunity. Good luck in your race this weekend!
2010-06-15 6:38 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I think we have several people racing this weekend, so good luck, all of you!! We'll be looking for race reports early next week!
2010-06-17 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA

Hi gang. Kinda quiet lately! I'm taking it easy this week for upcoming race...taper I guess.
Never heard from last weekend racers!!
Lovey: My bib # is 119. I'm on the second swim wave....starting @ 5:35 am...ouch Surprised

Maybe I'll see you at expo or transition area on Saturday. I think I might get in the water and swim also on Saturday, just to check it out.

2010-06-17 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2927534

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-06-17 10:14 AM

Hi gang. Kinda quiet lately! I'm taking it easy this week for upcoming race...taper I guess.
Never heard from last weekend racers!!
Lovey: My bib # is 119. I'm on the second swim wave....starting @ 5:35 am...ouch Surprised

Maybe I'll see you at expo or transition area on Saturday. I think I might get in the water and swim also on Saturday, just to check it out.

Wow! That's early!!! They must need to get everybody off the roads pretty early in the day or something.... I usually like being in an early wave, but that's REALLY early!!

Good luck everyone racing this weekend!!

2010-06-17 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2927915

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
p.s. I'll be in DC over the weekend too, but not to race! Going to see my niece graduate from High School!

2010-06-17 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2927534

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
BIB#:919 Swim Wave#:7 Swim Cap:FL_PINK Swim Wave Time:6:00:00

I am glad I am early to get it over with. Hopefully with my slow pace, I can finish with swim waves still behind me.

I will be at the expo on Saturday, I will get my packet, drop my bike and do the practice swim in my wetsuit. I have swim team meet until noon and my older son has an All Star Lacrosse match (last one ) at 12:45 and goes for about an hour. That might be cutting it close.

They suggest we ride our bike from the parking lot and take the shuttle back.

1. How far is it from the parking lot to transition?
2. Am I suppose to ride with my swimming gear and wetsuit on my back?

Lovey
2010-06-17 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2928067

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
The race director answered my question:

It’s about 1.1 miles from the Old Convention Center lot to transition. And yes, you will need to bring everything with you. You could also drive down, but parking is limited.

Sally Mazzocchi

Director

202-629-0200 x 104

[email protected]

2010-06-17 8:51 PM

User image

Tried my first OWS tonight. I'm glad I did it before the tri on Saturday. What a learning experience. I must admit it freaked me out and I consider the swim my best portion of the tri. I couldn't concentrate on my stroke, form went out the window. I think I swam fairly straight but my breathing was an issue. Any hints or suggestions?
2010-06-17 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2929285

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-06-17 9:51 PM

Tried my first OWS tonight. I'm glad I did it before the tri on Saturday. What a learning experience. I must admit it freaked me out and I consider the swim my best portion of the tri. I couldn't concentrate on my stroke, form went out the window. I think I swam fairly straight but my breathing was an issue. Any hints or suggestions?

Keiren,

Were you having trouble breathing because you were a bit panicked about being in open water? Were you in a wetsuit? Sometimes if a wetsuit is too tight, people can feel like they have trouble breathing because the chest has trouble expanding if the suit is too tight...

If it was more of a panic situation, I would say if at all possible get in the water ahead of time to warm up a little bit. Start toward the back and off to one side of your wave so that when your wave starts you're not right in the middle of all those swimmers, which can add to that feeling of panic. Try to take it easy at the start. Sometimes the adrenaline rush of starting a race can lead you to take off to fast, and you find yourself winded pretty quickly. Just try to remind yourself to take slow, steady strokes, and if and when you find your rhythm and feel more comfortable, then you can pick up the pace. Good luck on Saturday!!
2010-06-17 9:52 PM

User image

Thanks Jenny. I'll keep those tips in mind. I wasn't wearing a wetsuit, the water temp was very comfortable. I don't know why I couldn't get a rhythm going. Maybe because I kept lifting my head out of water to sight? I just never got into a groove. I'm sure adrenaline had something to do with my inability to get the breathing under control. It wasn't even that crowded. I wish I had more opportunities to get in more OWS. I just never thought I would have a problem with the transition from pool.

2010-06-18 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
WATER TEMP ALERT - Over the last few days the average water temp in the Potomac has been 79-82 degrees. Per USAT rules if the water temp is above 78 degrees on race morning then wetsuits are allowed BUT athletes wearing them are NOT eligible for age group awards. If you choose to wear a wetsuit anyway you will be placed in the wetsuit wave which will be the last wave of the Sprint athletes and the last wave of the Olympic athletes.

The swim is .8K which is about 875 yards. I am not a strong swimmer and on top of that I am slow. It takes me 35 minutes to swim 800 yards nonstop in the pool. I am anticipating it will take me longer in the Potomac River especially without a wetsuit. (It use to be 45 minutes but I got better with practice and hope to get that time down even more by my August triathlon).

Per race director:
The first sprint wave goes off at 5:30, the first Olympic wave at approximately 6:30, the race will be small, so the last wave should be in the water around 7:30

I am in swim wave 7 at 6am. Knowing how long it will take me, I don’t want to be at the back and the last one out of the water. Don’t care about being last but worried about being seen out there by myself and get the officials worried that they may want to pull me. That’s what happened on my first attempt at a sprint last year.

What do I do?
Do I move to the wetsuit wave? Or
Do I try my best in my wave and swim buoy to buoy stopping only when necessary?

Lovey
2010-06-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2930286

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-06-18 12:10 PM

WATER TEMP ALERT - Over the last few days the average water temp in the Potomac has been 79-82 degrees. Per USAT rules if the water temp is above 78 degrees on race morning then wetsuits are allowed BUT athletes wearing them are NOT eligible for age group awards. If you choose to wear a wetsuit anyway you will be placed in the wetsuit wave which will be the last wave of the Sprint athletes and the last wave of the Olympic athletes.

The swim is .8K which is about 875 yards. I am not a strong swimmer and on top of that I am slow. It takes me 35 minutes to swim 800 yards nonstop in the pool. I am anticipating it will take me longer in the Potomac River especially without a wetsuit. (It use to be 45 minutes but I got better with practice and hope to get that time down even more by my August triathlon).

Per race director:
The first sprint wave goes off at 5:30, the first Olympic wave at approximately 6:30, the race will be small, so the last wave should be in the water around 7:30

I am in swim wave 7 at 6am. Knowing how long it will take me, I don’t want to be at the back and the last one out of the water. Don’t care about being last but worried about being seen out there by myself and get the officials worried that they may want to pull me. That’s what happened on my first attempt at a sprint last year.

What do I do?
Do I move to the wetsuit wave? Or
Do I try my best in my wave and swim buoy to buoy stopping only when necessary?

Lovey

That's a tough one, Lovey.... If it were me, I would probably go with the earlier wave without a wetsuit. Honestly, in water that warm, I think a wetsuit might be pretty uncomfortable. The extra floatation provides some added security, but I think on balance, you might be better off with the earlier start. If you wait for the wetsuit wave, you're waiting an extra hour and a half for your wave to start, which will put you out on the bike and run course that much later, when heat could potentially be a bigger factor. However, if you think the extra flotation of the wetsuit will give you more confidence for the swim, the wait might be worth it. I guess you need to decide which you think will be more of an advantage in the overall race: an earlier start, or the flotation of the wetsuit....
2010-06-18 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2930959

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My goal is to gain confidence and finish.
I have to decide which is better: an earlier start, or the flotation of the wetsuit?

I think the earlier start would be better than waiting until the end. I will swim without a wetsuit BUT if by a fluke of nature the weather cools and the water is cold, I will use it. I will still pack it.

There is a practice swim tomorrow at the race site so I am going to go for a short swim with no wetsuit.

Lovey

2010-06-19 4:43 AM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I got back into the water two days later and used ear plugs and no more nausea. I stayed in the shallow end for a few days then worked my way over to the deeper end. With the help of my husband I was able to stay calm. I think if I do my practices from now on in the deeper end, I should be able to make my 600m in a few weeks. I know I'm cutting it close, but got to to what I got to do. I have a plan of action, so if I stick to it, I should be ok (fingers crossed).  I am also thinking about joinging the local TI class. Next one will be in a few weeks.

Upcoming races: Corporate Challenge 6/22, Henderson Harbor Tri 7/10, and Ride for the Rescue 7/17.
2010-06-19 4:30 PM

User image

Finished my very first tri today! It went pretty well considering I had a nerve wracking open water swim on Thursday. After doing some reading, I decided to sight using other swimmers instead of buoys. I went out to the right of the pack and always tried to make sure someone was to my right. The water was about 77 so no wetsuit necessary. I finished middle of the pack with the swim. Under 10 minutes! T1 could have been better, I need speed laces and am considering going sans socks. I have toe cages on my bike which will be replaced with clipless pedals soon. My bike was pretty good, I had a faster average than when I train but I think I'm still too slow. Finished towards the back of the pack at around 44 min. My T2 went well since I only needed to get my hat on. My run was super slow. I had nothing left in the tank...I am a weak runner to begin with and even more so today. My 5K time was 37 min.

My goal was to finish without walking, hanging on to the kayak or falling off my bike. I accomplished all three of my goals and am ready to do another tri in June! 

2010-06-19 4:53 PM

Congrats, good job!!Cool
2010-06-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2931940

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Keiren - 2010-06-19 5:30 PM Finished my very first tri today! It went pretty well considering I had a nerve wracking open water swim on Thursday. After doing some reading, I decided to sight using other swimmers instead of buoys. I went out to the right of the pack and always tried to make sure someone was to my right. The water was about 77 so no wetsuit necessary. I finished middle of the pack with the swim. Under 10 minutes! T1 could have been better, I need speed laces and am considering going sans socks. I have toe cages on my bike which will be replaced with clipless pedals soon. My bike was pretty good, I had a faster average than when I train but I think I'm still too slow. Finished towards the back of the pack at around 44 min. My T2 went well since I only needed to get my hat on. My run was super slow. I had nothing left in the tank...I am a weak runner to begin with and even more so today. My 5K time was 37 min.

My goal was to finish without walking, hanging on to the kayak or falling off my bike. I accomplished all three of my goals and am ready to do another tri in June! [/QUOTE

Great job! It sound like things went fine...you achieved your most important goal. I think your times are pretty respectable....they will only get better anyways Wink 

Edited by guticur 2010-06-20 11:25 AM
2010-06-20 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Just got back from my tri. Currently in the process of celebrating Father's Day with my family (Crab feast and Sauvignon Blanc....what better post race menu!). Happy Father's day to all dads out there.
I loaded the unofficial times both on my training blog and on the race evaluation. I thought I did fine. I held off on bike a little to save legs for run. It worked....no leg problem...but man do I need to figure out a way to run faster. 20 and 30 year old guys were passing me at what appeared to be WARP speed...I wish I had that pace!. I have to say this was an awesome race though...highly recommend it!
I'll come back with more details later in the week.
How did you do Lovey? 
2010-06-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2931940

User image

Veteran
Keiren - 2010-06-20 2:30 PM Finished my very first tri today! It went pretty well considering I had a nerve wracking open water swim on Thursday. After doing some reading, I decided to sight using other swimmers instead of buoys. I went out to the right of the pack and always tried to make sure someone was to my right. The water was about 77 so no wetsuit necessary. I finished middle of the pack with the swim. Under 10 minutes! T1 could have been better, I need speed laces and am considering going sans socks. I have toe cages on my bike which will be replaced with clipless pedals soon. My bike was pretty good, I had a faster average than when I train but I think I'm still too slow. Finished towards the back of the pack at around 44 min. My T2 went well since I only needed to get my hat on. My run was super slow. I had nothing left in the tank...I am a weak runner to begin with and even more so today. My 5K time was 37 min.

My goal was to finish without walking, hanging on to the kayak or falling off my bike. I accomplished all three of my goals and am ready to do another tri in June! 

Keiren:
Killer job on the race and accomplishing your goals. This post was inspiring too. I need remember to keep my goals challenging but attainable for me. I have a tendency to set goals too high. Thanks for posting all that ...keeps us going ya know. It was also cool that the water was so warm. Who would have thunk it after this winter, it seemed soooolonng. Every one have a great fathers day.

P.s. Does anyone know how to reduce the size of photo files so I can post in an album? BT only allows a certain size. I am just not a computer whiz.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32