BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-09-11 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3092698

User image

NH
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
amschrod - 2010-09-11 1:30 PM Big day for me tomorrow as well: Toughman HIM. I guess they call it "Toughman" because it's a pretty challenging course. Pretty hilly on the bike, and extremely hilly for the run. Nothing like Savageman HIM, but still very challenging. At least the swim is flat

The hardest part of the race is between mile 9 and 10 on the run where there is a difficult climb. I should be there sometime around 1 o'clock, so if you think about it, right about kickoff time for the first games, please send some good thoughts my way. Maybe send a boot in the backside, and some "suck it up, buttercup" as well.

Anthony

Good luck Anthony.  Rock it.  I'll be thinking of you on mile 9 of my run!

2010-09-12 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Anthony and Warren,  How did you guys do?  In Maryland it rained all day and at times it was really coming down.  I hope you had better weather up were you guys live.  Looking forward to your race reports...WAY TO GO!!!

My daughter did not want to run in the rain, I couldn't argue with her.  I went to the gym and had a good workout.

2010-09-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3094220

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-09-12 8:35 PM

Anthony and Warren,  How did you guys do?  In Maryland it rained all day and at times it was really coming down.  I hope you had better weather up were you guys live.  Looking forward to your race reports...WAY TO GO!!!

I had a great race! 6:05:47. My goal was 6:15, so I am very pleased. It was overcast and in the 60's all day but no rain, so really good weather for a race. I felt really strong on the run, and I even ran the toughest hill and passed some people going up it. Thanks for the extra push! I'll try to get my RR done later today.

My daughter did not want to run in the rain, I couldn't argue with her.  I went to the gym and had a good workout

That's too bad that you got rained out. Is there another run you could do together any time soon?
2010-09-13 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3094220

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-09-12 8:35 PM

My daughter did not want to run in the rain, I couldn't argue with her.  I went to the gym and had a good workout.

I had a fun race, and finished in 5:53:33, so I was pleased with result as 5:55 was my goal.  I had a great swim and an smart energy saving bike.  The run was tough for me, but I struggled in.  Work is nuts today so I haven't done the RR yet, but I'll get to it.  Weather was nearly perfect - very cool and some light rain.
2010-09-13 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3095474

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-09-13 1:08 PM
I had a fun race, and finished in 5:53:33, so I was pleased with result as 5:55 was my goal.  I had a great swim and an smart energy saving bike.  The run was tough for me, but I struggled in.  Work is nuts today so I haven't done the RR yet, but I'll get to it.  Weather was nearly perfect - very cool and some light rain.

WOO-HOO!!! 5:53:33, and you beat your goal! You ARE a rock star! Congratulations!

I am looking forward to your RR, but take your time; we want all the details.
2010-09-13 3:34 PM

User image

NH
Race report is here.

Edited by wbayek 2010-09-14 9:47 AM

2010-09-13 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Awesome job Warren!!! You are the man (Rockstar!) I just read your race report...fantastic.  You are the man...your swim was awesome, biking almost 20mph for 56mi. and the run I would take all day.  I am going to try to get brochitis before my race in Oct.

Way to GO!!!

Edited by scott1223 2010-09-13 6:34 PM
2010-09-14 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3096401

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
You guys are amazing!  Great job on the training all year and the races.
2010-09-14 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3094906

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-09-13 9:39 AM
I had a great race! 6:05:47. My goal was 6:15, so I am very pleased. It was overcast and in the 60's all day but no rain, so really good weather for a race. I felt really strong on the run, and I even ran the toughest hill and passed some people going up it. Thanks for the extra push! I'll try to get my RR done later today.

Awesome race Anthony, that looked like a bear of a course.  Get the race report done!

Edited by wbayek 2010-09-14 4:23 PM
2010-09-14 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3098535

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-09-14 5:22 PM

Awesome race Anthony, that looked like a bear of a course.  Get the race report done!

Thank you very much! It was definitely my best race ever, and yes, the course was definitely challenging. Finally finished my race report.
2010-09-15 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Anthony, you also ROCK!!!  A PR on that course is fantastic.  That is why you are the mentor...leading the way.  All your training paid off and the results of your efforts are a PR. 

Both you and Warren have been very motivating and inspirational.  Thank you guys for answering all of my questions and sharing your wisdom from your training and racing.  Being a newbie and getting my first Tri under my belt was an experience.  Thanks for your support.  

Balancing family, training, and work is and will be the hardest part for me.  Work always seems to get in the way...haha.  You guys also have the same balancing act and have showed it can be done.  If it was easy, everyone would do it.  It is always nice to have a goal and to train for.  Again... WAY TO GO!!!  You both are ROCKSTARS

2010-09-16 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3099787

User image

Expert
Thank you for the very kind words, Scott. Seeing what you and the others have done is truly inspirational to me as well. Believe me, you are all rockstars!!

I also would like to mention to you that we have another big weekend coming up. DannyK is doing his very first tri on Sunday. He is a great athlete and has put a lot of work in. I am really looking forward to hearing about his race.

Anthony
2010-09-17 11:05 AM

User image

NH
I echo Anthony's sentiments.  You guys are all very inspirational to me.  Part of what got me through that last 2 1/2 miles was the people here.

Go rock it Danny, you will really kill this.  He's the speed demon among us I think!
2010-09-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3104430

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for all the inspires and words of encouragement.  The year flew bye didn't it?  I'm answering in the forum instead of each individual question/comment.  I'm glad I had put in tons of miles and yards earlier in the year.  Even though I picked up a bacterial infection and minor cold the last few weeks I feel very fit.  I don't know how fast I am compared to other 43 yr old guys, but I'm about to find out.  I'm not too discouraged about being sick with the race around the corner.  I met all my goals with the race being the reward not the ultimate goal.  I lost weight, dropped my diastolic blood pressure and did actually pick up some speed in my runs and swims.  I wasn't a biker before but my legs are definitely stronger.  A few of my brick workouts lately showed me I could bike for an hour and still run 8 min miles which was a reward in and of itself.  It's pretty cool being fit.  I like it.  Tomorrow I turn 43 and my wife is making me a homemade lasagna dinner....it's gonna be awesome.  I'm picking up my packet at around noon....I can't wait to see my tech shirt.  I'll take a few turns in the 'hood' with the bike to make sure it's ready to go and ready for race day Sunday.  My wife already has commitments from friends to turn out and cheer me on.  Some family might show up too!  Hopefully I can get some tongue shots in front of the camera for the foyer =).  I'm as ready as I'm going to be this year.  I feel ok but I do have a nagging cough.  I'm going to back off of all junk food for the next 2 days (I think I can I think I can).  Other than that, I'm not going to do anything special.  Again thanks to all you in the group and especially Anthony for sharing your input, inspires, stories, etc.... It's been a blast.  I did sell my home gyms (a Smith machine and leg press machine) and am going to buy an indoor bike trainer.  I'm already planning for my 2nd race at Portage Lakes next year.

Dan
2010-09-17 12:28 PM

User image

NH
Danny, sounds like an awesome race ahead for you.  Having some people along the path will be a great lift.  You are so fit the race will be over before you know it.  Don't sweat the sickness, adrenaline and the rest you've gotten will trump the day. 

Congratulations on all the improvements over the year, that's the part which really matters.  This tri is simply the dessert, go enjoy it!
2010-09-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3104592

User image

Expert
That is great stuff, Dan! You have done some really good things this Summer, and it will all come together for you this weekend. I like the way Warren put it: "This tri is simply the dessert, go enjoy it!"

I hope you don't mind one more reminder/bit of advice. Take a little time to really familiarize yourself with transition, including all the exits and entrances, and wher your bike is in relation to them. Especially going from swim in to your bike, because you might be a little dizzy and disoriented when you get out of the water.

Thank you for the kind words.

Anthony

2010-09-19 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3105284

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hey everyone:

I had a great race!  Warren was right, adrenaline and rest trumped the day.  No official posting on times until tomorrow.  There were over 800 participants.  My bike computer said I did the 23 miles in 1:16 (18 mph pace).  I felt great on the swim....73 degrees water temp, my arches on my feet were cramping up alot during the swim because of the cold I think.  My family and (mostly my wifes friends) did a great job of maneuvering the course and cheering me on...that was awesome.  I kept moving on the run and the last mile felt better than the first 5.2.  I'll post the race report as soon as I can.  Still baffled as to why they didn't even have a clock at the finish with the time of day displayed?!!?  The race started late so I'm not sure what my final time is.  Next time I'm going to have a water proof stop watch on my wrist =).
2010-09-20 4:30 AM
in reply to: #3106706

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hi, all, this is Dan's wife, Chris, and I have to say he did AWESOME!!  We were able to see him out of the water - looking a little tired but not so tired I worried he'd left it all in the water.  Missed the first lap of the bike, but second lap coming uphill, he was zipping along and looked STRONG.  No wobbling or veering the bike around like the fatigued athletes were doing, still down on the aerobars and able to shout out to our son.  On the run, we saw him about mile 2.5 and again about 3.5 - at 2.5 he had the "I'm tired" lurch with slight roll to one side, but no shuffling, I wasn't worried.  At 3.5, on an uphill, the lurch was less pronounced and he was looking good. 

We had to hustle to get to the finish, where we could see the runners round the the final bend almost half a mile away - and there was Dan, almost 2 minutes ahead of when I expected to see him!  He was flying along at least a minute per mile faster than when we'd seen him at 3.5! 

I ran 20 miles on Saturday myself and was worried about how uncomfortable I was going to be trying to chase this race.  I was surprised that the excitement of watching Dan bring to fruition the goal for which he has labored all summer made the discomfort in my legs a distant distraction - everything came together for him yesterday, and it was terrific to be part of!
2010-09-20 6:06 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
WOW guys!!  You guys all rock!!!  Great races for everyone!!!  I started running again last weekend, I feel pretty good.  No pain in the foot with the stress fracture but I can feel some plantar fascia issue coming on the good foot.  I will sleep in the strassburg sock for a few days and it should be fine.  (If anyone has PF or achillies issues I highly recommend the strassburg sock)  I am bummed at my slow speed so far but I know I have to ease back into it so I dont get hurt again.  I got inspired this weekend seeing my brother in law in action.  We went to a park for a 5 miler for me and 8 for him.  He is in training for the Richmond Marathon in nov.  He was injured and took a year off but he is flying now!  last mile was 7:15- mine was much slower LOL  Makes me have hope that my "year off" will allow me to come back faster than ever.  You guys are great motivators, Keep up all that hard work, it is certainly paying off.
Paula
2010-09-20 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hi All:

My race report is done.  You'll have to go to my log....I wasn't able to figure out how to do the link.  If you'd like to see a picture of me crossing the finish line, it's #526 on the photos link....Portage Lakes Triathlon, Hfp racing results page.

Dan
2010-09-21 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3108919

User image

Expert
Great job Dan!! That is an excellent race especially for your first. Great job by your support crew as well. I'm very impressed by your wife getting around to different spots on the course the day after a 20 miler. Great job to you, too Mrs. DannyK!!

I read through your RR briefly, but I will take a closer look later today when I have more time. Here's a link to Dan's Race Report.

Congratulations, triathlete!!!!

2010-09-21 9:19 AM

User image

NH
That's a super race Dan.  A hilly bike course can really sap your legs, but you still ran a nice 10k pace.  Awesome race, triathlete!  I'm also very impressed with your wife's support.
2010-09-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3108763

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-09-20 7:06 PM WOW guys!!  You guys all rock!!!  Great races for everyone!!!  I started running again last weekend, I feel pretty good.  No pain in the foot with the stress fracture but I can feel some plantar fascia issue coming on the good foot.  I will sleep in the strassburg sock for a few days and it should be fine.  (If anyone has PF or achillies issues I highly recommend the strassburg sock)  I am bummed at my slow speed so far but I know I have to ease back into it so I dont get hurt again.  I got inspired this weekend seeing my brother in law in action.  We went to a park for a 5 miler for me and 8 for him.  He is in training for the Richmond Marathon in nov.  He was injured and took a year off but he is flying now!  last mile was 7:15- mine was much slower LOL  Makes me have hope that my "year off" will allow me to come back faster than ever.  You guys are great motivators, Keep up all that hard work, it is certainly paying off.
Paula

I could swear I posted a response to this the other evening, but apparently I clicked incorrectly

Well anyway, it's good to see you back in business, Paula!  I am sure you will make a great comeback. Maybe you could start logging your workouts

Interesting that you bring up the strassburg sock, because it sure seems like calf, achilles, and PF issues are pretty common for us triathletes. Probably all related to tight calves so  I try to be good about stretching my calves, but I should be better. The strassburg sock just kinda keeps your calf stretched a little while you sleep, right?

2010-09-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3108763

User image

NH
Roadtoad22 - 2010-09-20 7:06 PM WOW guys!!  You guys all rock!!!  Great races for everyone!!!  I started running again last weekend, I feel pretty good.  No pain in the foot with the stress fracture but I can feel some plantar fascia issue coming on the good foot.  I will sleep in the strassburg sock for a few days and it should be fine.  (If anyone has PF or achillies issues I highly recommend the strassburg sock)  I am bummed at my slow speed so far but I know I have to ease back into it so I dont get hurt again.  I got inspired this weekend seeing my brother in law in action.  We went to a park for a 5 miler for me and 8 for him.  He is in training for the Richmond Marathon in nov.  He was injured and took a year off but he is flying now!  last mile was 7:15- mine was much slower LOL  Makes me have hope that my "year off" will allow me to come back faster than ever.  You guys are great motivators, Keep up all that hard work, it is certainly paying off.
Paula

Awesome to hear from you again Paula.  Don't sweat the pace at all, staying healthy is the #1 concern.  That's true for all of us, and you especially know it more than ever.  Awesome deal that you're able to get back out there again.  Take it easy, take it slow, and post your progress - and setbacks too.  That's why we're here!
2010-09-24 9:54 AM

User image

Oklahoma
Hey Guys - I am back in cyberspace.  I got caught up in life and put off my internet life - ah, summer was great!

Although my log doesn't indicate much activity, I was active all summer, with my family, my job and with training.  We did a two week Alaska vacation, which was fantastic.  I am looking forward to going again, too bad it is so expensive to get there.  

I did one sprint tri in August - my first OWS!  Had a good time.  I am not good at it yet, but truly enjoyed the lake swim.  The bike was fun - steep, rolling hills.  I was worried that it would be too hot (live in Oklahoma!), but we had cloud cover during my whole race.

Have another sprint on Sunday.  The Tie-Dye-Tri, can you guess what the shirt looks like?  It is held only a mile from my house.  I plan just to ride my bike over there.  It has a staggered pool swim.  A week ago, I was worried about the heat again, but the weather calls for highs in the 70s!  (it has been in the 90s most of this week).  It will be around 65 while I bike.  Now, I know some of you guys are from up north, but down here that will be CHILLY in a wet tri suit!  I am actually debating about wearing a vest for the bike.  What do you think? I am looking forward to running when it isn't so hot out.

I will take some time to read through what you all have been doing this summer - 27 pages of forum.  You all have been busy!  This time I will keep in touch.Smile 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24