BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-05-15 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4210127

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED!
Qua17 - 2012-05-15 5:42 PM

I got my swim and run speed workouts in this morning at the gym. 

With a 12 minute per mile pace at this weekend's tri - I figure that speeding up my run offers me the greatest chance of improvement (I used to run 7-8 minute miles in HS.)  Running I get - swimming I don't.

Two questions - I'm looking for a free swimming workout plan that will help me get faster.  I'm using one of the free plans but it's not detailed enough.  I need a plan that will help me work on my stroke and one that will tell me actually how hard to go.  I simply have no clue.  If I have to pay, I want to know that what I am paying for is worth the money.  I checked out the active.com workouts that come with videos and the videos would be great - I just don't want to pay the $$$ if I don't have to.

I'm also continuing to struggle with my weekly schedule.  The trouble is that working out in the afternoon is tough (three kids and their homework) so I like to get my workouts in during the AM.  But that sets me up for trouble because its hard to space my workouts for optimum efficiency.  My long run and bike are on the weekends and that leads to tired legs... It's just not working.  So my second question is - if I were to move to a six day schedule - would it be better for me to have my rest day before my long workouts to give me more energy or after my workouts to promote healing?

Thanks for the help!

I hit Long bike Friday in the a.m., and Long run Sunday's in the a.m. (or vice-versa). I swim on monday, usually rotating intermediate to long swim to with recovery pace.  It's the next best thing to taking a day off as it is low impact.

2012-05-15 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4124591

User image

Expert

Second open water swim of the season went better than the first!  Made it a whole mile, though it was still cold.  I found a new trick though.... If I tuck my ears under my swim cap, I stay much warmer!  Also, a friend told me ear plugs help, since then the cold water can't get in your ears and make you cold.  I hadn't realized how important ears are in heat regulation!

Bike ride didn't go so well, though.  I flatted, but when I went to change it, I realized I had the wrong type of CO2 cartridges for my inflator.  Last year, a friend had gotten several flats during one of our rides, and went through not only all of his, but all of my cartridges that day.  He bought me some to replace the ones he used, but they were the non-threaded kind, and my inflator only takes the threaded ones.  

Luckily I hadn't gone very far, and it's pretty easy for me to get home on the bus.  

2012-05-16 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4210127

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Qua17 - 2012-05-15 7:42 AM

I got my swim and run speed workouts in this morning at the gym. 

With a 12 minute per mile pace at this weekend's tri - I figure that speeding up my run offers me the greatest chance of improvement (I used to run 7-8 minute miles in HS.)  Running I get - swimming I don't.

Two questions - I'm looking for a free swimming workout plan that will help me get faster.  I'm using one of the free plans but it's not detailed enough.  I need a plan that will help me work on my stroke and one that will tell me actually how hard to go.  I simply have no clue.  If I have to pay, I want to know that what I am paying for is worth the money.  I checked out the active.com workouts that come with videos and the videos would be great - I just don't want to pay the $$$ if I don't have to.

I'm also continuing to struggle with my weekly schedule.  The trouble is that working out in the afternoon is tough (three kids and their homework) so I like to get my workouts in during the AM.  But that sets me up for trouble because its hard to space my workouts for optimum efficiency.  My long run and bike are on the weekends and that leads to tired legs... It's just not working.  So my second question is - if I were to move to a six day schedule - would it be better for me to have my rest day before my long workouts to give me more energy or after my workouts to promote healing?

Thanks for the help!

I guess my question would be whether you have tired legs that make it hard to execute your long run/ride or that your long run/ride weekend is causing tired legs that impact subsequent workouts? If you can answer one way or the other that should give you an idea if you need the rest before or after.

Personally, I like to have my rest day after a long run day.  If there's any single workout that can make me good and sore it's that one and having that extra day to recover seems to help a lot

2012-05-16 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4211150

User image

Expert
yogachic - 2012-05-15 2:05 PM

I'm looking for a free swimming workout plan that will help me get faster.  I'm using one of the free plans but it's not detailed enough.  I need a plan that will help me work on my stroke and one that will tell me actually how hard to go.  I simply have no clue.  If I have to pay, I want to know that what I am paying for is worth the money.  I checked out the active.com workouts that come with videos and the videos would be great - I just don't want to pay the $$$ if I don't have to.

Have you seen swimplan.com?  You enter in your speed and the amount of time you want to swim, and it generates swim workouts for you that incorporates drills and swim sets.  I used to use it extensively when I used to pool swim a lot (in recent years, I've mostly been swimming open water, but will probably start using it again to train for my 5k to get more efficient).  In any case, I really like that site.  They don't do videos, but maybe you could just youtube if there's a drill on there you don't understand.

Thanks for the help!

I think it might just be a matter of personal preference.  Generally, I'll do my long runs on Saturdays and rides on Sundays, so my Mondays & Fridays are usually either swim, yoga, or off days.  

For my Friday workouts, it's usually a short swim (eg 1/2 mile open water), or I'll practice drills/ work on my stroke in the pool (ie not interval or endurance sets).  On Mondays, if I'm beat after my weekend workouts, take Monday as a rest day or do another yoga/swim day.  If I feel fine, I'll do a regular workout on Monday, and keep Fridays as my rest/easy day.

If I workout both Friday and Monday one weekend, I might take of the Friday before the next weekend to give myself a chance to rest.  Generally I only take a rest day if I feel like I need it, or (more often) if something comes up and I miss a workout.

Swimplan,com is cool.  I plan on using it tomorrow morning for my long swim.  

As far as the workout thing goes - it's like calculus... The thing about the run and bike back to back on the weekends is the fact that my legs are dead on Sunday.  Plus - as my workouts increase in their intensity - I really need to start thinking about ways to balance my hard workouts with easy ones.  Take today for example, if I go hard on the bike, then I need to balance it with an easy swim... but getting those workouts to fit into a schedule that includes my wife working out and being a good dad - that's tough.  

I wonder if breaking the month up into units bigger than a week would work - like an 8 day block.. Hmm

THanks for your help

2012-05-16 9:28 PM

User image

Expert

Just a quick note before shutting it down for the night... I did lactate threshold workouts on the bike today.. brutal.  However, the fact that I couldn't make it three minutes at near max is a pretty good indicator that there is plenty of room for improvement.  

As I lie here in bed, the fact that my legs are sore pleases me immensely.  

Thanks for your help on the weekly schedule.  Still working on it... but I think it makes sense to find something that is sustainible.  If I exercise 30 minutes less per week, but I can support my wife who has gone out of her way to support me on this journey... then that's an easy choice.

Plus - as a teacher - all my problems will be solved in 4 weeks anyway when summer break begins. 

2012-05-16 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4211817

User image

Expert
yogachic - 2012-05-15 7:54 PM

Second open water swim of the season went better than the first!  Made it a whole mile, though it was still cold.  I found a new trick though.... If I tuck my ears under my swim cap, I stay much warmer!  Also, a friend told me ear plugs help, since then the cold water can't get in your ears and make you cold.  I hadn't realized how important ears are in heat regulation!

Bike ride didn't go so well, though.  I flatted, but when I went to change it, I realized I had the wrong type of CO2 cartridges for my inflator.  Last year, a friend had gotten several flats during one of our rides, and went through not only all of his, but all of my cartridges that day.  He bought me some to replace the ones he used, but they were the non-threaded kind, and my inflator only takes the threaded ones.  

Luckily I hadn't gone very far, and it's pretty easy for me to get home on the bus.  

Glad to hear about the mile long swim... someone gave me some wax before my race on sunday and it amazed me how much of a difference it made.  

Also glad you were able to make it home after the flat tire (seems to be catching like a bad cold).  Sounds to me like your friend owes you a beer...

2012-05-16 11:07 PM

User image

Champion

Hi team. Sorry I've been MIA...call is killing me slowly. Haha. Post call today. 

I've decided not to do a 70.3 this season because my training just isn't where I would like it. It will most likely get better once GIM is finished (>2.5 weeks...countdown), but for now I am where I am. Going to do Alberta Challenge in Aug as my "A" race it looks like. 

I might also be doing Mud Hero with the girls in my class at the end of July. Looks like fun. It is down near Calgary...one of those obstacle course races!

I'm heading off to Vancouver this weekend for my friend's stag. Leaving Fri evening. Plan to run along the seawall and go swim in the 137m kitsilano pool! WOOO WOOO!

2012-05-16 11:09 PM

User image

Champion

Hi team. Sorry I've been MIA...call is killing me slowly. Haha. Post call today. 

I've decided not to do a 70.3 this season because my training just isn't where I would like it. It will most likely get better once GIM is finished (>2.5 weeks...countdown), but for now I am where I am. Going to do Alberta Challenge in Aug as my "A" race it looks like. 

I might also be doing Mud Hero with the girls in my class at the end of July. Looks like fun. It is down near Calgary...one of those obstacle course races!

I'm heading off to Vancouver this weekend for my friend's stag. Leaving Fri evening. Plan to run along the seawall and go swim in the 137m kitsilano pool! WOOO WOOO!

2012-05-16 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4214058

User image

Champion
Qua17 - 2012-05-16 8:28 PM

Just a quick note before shutting it down for the night... I did lactate threshold workouts on the bike today.. brutal.  However, the fact that I couldn't make it three minutes at near max is a pretty good indicator that there is plenty of room for improvement.  

As I lie here in bed, the fact that my legs are sore pleases me immensely.  

Thanks for your help on the weekly schedule.  Still working on it... but I think it makes sense to find something that is sustainible.  If I exercise 30 minutes less per week, but I can support my wife who has gone out of her way to support me on this journey... then that's an easy choice.

Plus - as a teacher - all my problems will be solved in 4 weeks anyway when summer break begins. 

Nice workout today! LT sets are always a nemesis. Pure pain and more pain!

Scheduling is tough...it's tempting to try and cram things in sometimes but there are other things that are important to take care of as well. You can only train well if you recover well and having support is a great thing so always good to support those who support you in turn! 

2012-05-16 11:14 PM
in reply to: #4211817

User image

Champion
yogachic - 2012-05-15 6:54 PM

Ear plugs do help! Cold water in the ears can also make you feel quite dizzy/disoriented because it activates a vestibular response. 

Sorry about the flats. I've been lucky and only have had flats on the trainer...haha. 

2012-05-16 11:29 PM

User image

Champion

Just as a bit of general note RE: training schedule

Most people when they schedule workouts tend to follow a 7d plan and generally repeat; however, depending on the way you train, background and time constraints it isn't always possible. It is fine to stretch out over a 10-14 day cycle where you say do a long run one weekend and a long ride another weekend. Lots of controversy around here about doing a sat/sun long bike and long run back to back session. One train of thought is that it is good to ride/run on tired legs but another is that you are more likely to get injured running a long run on tired legs compared to fresher legs. Not sure which one is right and it probably varies person to person. I am guilty, especially during IM training last year of doing sat/sun gauntlets because for the most part I was busy during the week. 

I like the way Neal has organised his training in the past with a long run on Thurs and long bike on Sat to get both in with a recovery day in the middle to recover a bit. 

I'm on a bit of a mish mash schedule right now because call takes predictability and chucks it out the window...sometimes I am alright to train post call and then other times (like today) there is no way that is going to happen. Right now a 14 day cycle is working a bit better for me where I alternate long bike/long run weekends when I am not on call and try to get 2 sessions of SBR in throughout the rest of the week. Bit hit and miss right now though, so I am not the best example at the moment of successful training schedule modification. Haha. 

Basically the gist of my long babble is to not be afraid of working beyond a 7d schedule.

2012-05-16 11:34 PM

User image

Champion

swimplan.com is a good site for finding swim workouts. I have also stolen workouts from my BT friends too! I've been a bit uncreative as of late as far as my workouts go. 

There is a file somewhere on here with a list of swim workouts. I'll see if I can find it and post.

2012-05-16 11:46 PM

User image

Champion
I found them! 80 different swim workouts. More for IM distance but easily adjustable. Not so great for technique workouts as there is not a whole lot of drill incorporated at all. Figured I would post them anyways though

Attachments
----------------
BT swims.doc (69KB - 17 downloads)
2012-05-17 4:53 AM

User image

Expert
Melissa - thanks a ton for such a thorough answer in regards to the training. I agree and think that elongating the 7 day week is the right way to go.

Sorry to hear about your schedule. I would imagine that working all those hours sucks the life right out of you. The fact that you still find time to work out is something to be proud of. Good luck with the next 2 weeks!

Could you please post the link for those swim workouts. Many thanks!
2012-05-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4214279

User image

Champion
Qua17 - 2012-05-17 3:53 AMMelissa - thanks a ton for such a thorough answer in regards to the training. I agree and think that elongating the 7 day week is the right way to go.

Sorry to hear about your schedule. I would imagine that working all those hours sucks the life right out of you. The fact that you still find time to work out is something to be proud of. Good luck with the next 2 weeks!

Could you please post the link for those swim workouts. Many thanks!
I did. It's the BT swim file underneath near the sig line on the previous post. It should just load. Let me know if it doesnt work!
2012-05-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4214044

User image

Expert
Qua17 - 2012-05-16 9:18 PM 

Swimplan,com is cool.  I plan on using it tomorrow morning for my long swim.  

As far as the workout thing goes - it's like calculus... The thing about the run and bike back to back on the weekends is the fact that my legs are dead on Sunday.  Plus - as my workouts increase in their intensity - I really need to start thinking about ways to balance my hard workouts with easy ones.  Take today for example, if I go hard on the bike, then I need to balance it with an easy swim... but getting those workouts to fit into a schedule that includes my wife working out and being a good dad - that's tough.  

I wonder if breaking the month up into units bigger than a week would work - like an 8 day block.. Hmm

THanks for your help

I know people that do what Melissa suggested and alternate long run and long bike weeks, so they're kind of working in 14-day blocks.  They'll still do a run on Saturday and bike on Sunday every week, but on weeks where the run is longer than usual, the bike is the "normal" length and vice versa.  

It's definitely hard to juggle training with life!  In general, I almost never actually schedule an "off" day since often have to take off or easy days due to work, family, social, and weather constraints!  

2012-05-17 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4214170

User image

Expert
mndymond - 2012-05-16 11:07 PM

I keep going back and forth with trying to decide whether to do a 70.3 as well.  Things like weather and work have recently been getting in the way of my training plan!  

Glad you've decided on a game plan, though!  It's definitely exciting to see what your racing year shapes up to be!

2012-05-17 9:30 PM

User image

Expert

Ugh, so I've noticed my limp from last year was back this week.  I think it's because I did a 5-mile run in these shoes I don't normally run in.  I generally have a hard time running in new shoes and have tons of aches and pains until I break them in.  So I usually rotate between 3-4 pairs to give the newer pair(s) a chance to be broken in while still doing my longer runs in the shoes I'm used to.  

The pair I wore on Monday were actually from a while back, but they got "lost" in my closet.  They only have about 60 miles on them.  I re-found them about a month ago and have done shorter runs (track practice or easy 3-milers) with no problem.  On Monday, I ran 5 in them and felt fine, but then walked home in them after my run (about 3 miles).  I noticed it right away that my calf and hip were tightening up!  Maybe 8 miles was too long to be wearing those shoes Undecided  I was hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't yet....

Anyways, today I was supposed to do track practice, but decided to do yoga instead since I didn't want to run with a limp.  I have to get this hip/calf thing sorted out!  Luckily the teacher focused on hips tonight, and I could totally feel my tight hips and calves stretching out!  I also foam rolled after.... Owwwww.  If I'm limp-free tomorrow, I may sneak out in the afternoon and do my track workout (coach sent me my workout).  

2012-05-17 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm just catching up after a three day business trip with no working out. I did get a lot of sleep and tons of oxygen being at sea level. I can't wait to get a work out in tomorrow though!
2012-05-18 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4214173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mndymond - 2012-05-16 10:09 PM

See you at the Alberta Challenge!

Have fun in Vancouver! Great city for a weekend getaway!

2012-05-19 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4216140

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2012-05-17 9:30 PM

Ugh, so I've noticed my limp from last year was back this week.  I think it's because I did a 5-mile run in these shoes I don't normally run in.  I generally have a hard time running in new shoes and have tons of aches and pains until I break them in.  So I usually rotate between 3-4 pairs to give the newer pair(s) a chance to be broken in while still doing my longer runs in the shoes I'm used to.  

The pair I wore on Monday were actually from a while back, but they got "lost" in my closet.  They only have about 60 miles on them.  I re-found them about a month ago and have done shorter runs (track practice or easy 3-milers) with no problem.  On Monday, I ran 5 in them and felt fine, but then walked home in them after my run (about 3 miles).  I noticed it right away that my calf and hip were tightening up!  Maybe 8 miles was too long to be wearing those shoes Undecided  I was hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't yet....

Anyways, today I was supposed to do track practice, but decided to do yoga instead since I didn't want to run with a limp.  I have to get this hip/calf thing sorted out!  Luckily the teacher focused on hips tonight, and I could totally feel my tight hips and calves stretching out!  I also foam rolled after.... Owwwww.  If I'm limp-free tomorrow, I may sneak out in the afternoon and do my track workout (coach sent me my workout).  

Sorry to hear about the limp.  Hope a couple of days of rest get back on track!

2012-05-19 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Good morning guys!  I just finished a short ride to test out the race setup on the bike.  I've got a sprint tri tomorrow that I'm a little under prepared for.  Should be fun.

What does everyone else have on tap?  Kevin has his marathon this morning.  Any other racers?

2012-05-19 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck! I don't have a race but had fun today checking out the trails that the Xterra I signed up for is on. It was a fun not technical ride which was perfect. We only did one and a half laps of a two lap course since it started raining pretty good. It was a lot of fun though. The run looks brutal. I'm going to have to go check it out another day, but it's two miles of switchbacks up! I don't really know how to train for that kind of a hill. I'm also getting worried about nutrition as I think the whole race is going to take me a long time.
2012-05-20 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

BUST!

I missed my goal by 2:45.  Total time 3:32:45.  This is a PR for me at this distance. 

This is my attempt to put a link of the race report here, hope it works.Laughing

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=441248 

2012-05-20 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4218924

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
kevinbe - 2012-05-20 10:20 AM

BUST!

I missed my goal by 2:45.  Total time 3:32:45.  This is a PR for me at this distance. 

This is my attempt to put a link of the race report here, hope it works.Laughing

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=441248 

Sorry you didn't hit your goal, but at least you got a sweet PR out of the deal! And the post race beers probably still tasted pretty good.  Rest up and recover and get ready to get after that half ironman training

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 45