BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Mike, Congrats on the score, but don't spoil her to much at the start or she might start taking advantage of you.

I know. I can't let her get spoiled.

I decided to change my own tire instead of taking it to the LBS. Just bought the supplies and watched a YouTube video. Easy peasy.

I bout the Zinn Road Bike Maintenance book so i can try an do as much maintenance and repairs as I can. I also have a medium sized saddle bag on its way along with a CO2 inflator and some cartridges. I already have an extra tube, tire levers and a patch kit. 

I also have the quick release kit for the 310xt on the way. Pretty much set up for training.

Edited by MJSolt 2013-06-03 10:58 AM

2013-06-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by ibr80

The washer machine is intimidating the crap out of me, That looks like it will throw my breathing off right from the get go. Hey I have a couple of Questions :

1 - Im looking for a Triathlon Suit and Im sucker for nike ( Almost everything I own in terms of gear is nike ) what do you guys think about this : http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-423...

With something like this, thats all I really need right ? I would do all three thing with that TRI suit or should I really change to running shorts after swim and bike ?

2 - I believe that my bike route will be mostly flat and I think I might be able to muster about 18 to 22 MPH depending on wind and stamina and I would be happy with that. I also think my 5K pace will be somewhere around 9:30 a mile provided I keep training possible a tiny bit faster and I would also be happy with that. But the real question of the swimming, I have to do 400M and that washer machine pic has me a bit worried about pushing and pulling and breathing etc.. What would be a good pace to aim for in the pool ? I have not yet timed my self and I dont even take a watch with me. Im not yet at the 400M distance without stopping for a quick breather, can somebody give me some tips on preparing that ?

3 - My spring it 400M swim/12mile Bike/ 5K run Every session of Bike for me I do at least double and now my running session are minimum 4 to 6 miles to make sure Im well over the 3 miles required.. How much do you think I should aim to swim eventually to prep the 400m .... 800 ?? I just wanna make sure Im nice and ready considering that day it all happens in one shot.

Answers:

1. Yes, you would wear the Tri Suit for the duration of the event. People do not really change from one garmet to another until they do a Full Ironman, and then it's mostly for comfort and the larger pad that bicycle shorts offer. Whether or not you buy the Nike one is up to you, but make sure it's comfortable to you and fits properly. I can tell you that I started with a Tri Suit, but as I'm going up in distance I switched to a two piece for comfort, which is what I wore this weekend for the first time. Some people do not like the feel of a tri suit, but it's a personnal thing.

2. You don't need to concern yourself right now with your swim time, you only need to ensure that you can do the distance (the time will be what it is). Don't let that picture get you scared, becuase this was a larger event and I positioned myself in the second row at the front of the group. You can always stay back or way out to the side and not have to deal with that. As far as breathing and everything in a situation like that it is just key to remain calm, if you have to slow down you do, main thing is not to panic. The other thing here is what kind of swim your doing, how you will start, and where it is. Pool swim, lake, wave start, time trial start, group flights, What kind of swim and start will yours' be?

3. Yes, 800 would likely be a good mark for you to set that you know you can swim non stop with little problem. It is not neccesary, but will help with your confidence on the day in question to know that you have done double the distance several times before.

On another note to your quesitons, make sure that on some of your training days to shorten the bike and then do a run afterwards. Your body needs to be conditioned to getting off the bike and running. No, you don't need to bike 12 and then run 3 to be ready, but if you get to that point then great, you will know how hard you can push on race day.

Todd gives such great answers! As far as my personal experience, I'm terrified of the washing machine myself because I'm not terribly comfortable with OWS just yet (have only done it twice and the first time was...an adventure) so a mass start race just isn't one I'm willing to do just yet. The tri I did last summer was a time trial (I think that's what it's called) where they started us one at a time every 2 seconds and it was a beach start. I was able to position myself far left which added some distance to my swim since I made wider turns but kept me outside of the clutter so I was able to stay calm and not get kicked too much. This year I'm much more confident but still probably wouldn't put myself right in the thick of things. I would say for you to focus on your positioning during the swim if you're worried about chaos and make sure you're comfortable with sighting (particularly if it's an OWS) so that you can pause to look around if you start to feel overwhelmed.
2013-06-03 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran

The washer machine is intimidating the crap out of me, That looks like it will throw my breathing off right from the get go. Hey I have a couple of Questions :

1 - Im looking for a Triathlon Suit and Im sucker for nike ( Almost everything I own in terms of gear is nike ) what do you guys think about this : http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-423...

With something like this, thats all I really need right ? I would do all three thing with that TRI suit or should I really change to running shorts after swim and bike ?

2 - I believe that my bike route will be mostly flat and I think I might be able to muster about 18 to 22 MPH depending on wind and stamina and I would be happy with that. I also think my 5K pace will be somewhere around 9:30 a mile provided I keep training possible a tiny bit faster and I would also be happy with that. But the real question of the swimming, I have to do 400M and that washer machine pic has me a bit worried about pushing and pulling and breathing etc.. What would be a good pace to aim for in the pool ? I have not yet timed my self and I dont even take a watch with me. Im not yet at the 400M distance without stopping for a quick breather, can somebody give me some tips on preparing that ?

3 - My spring it 400M swim/12mile Bike/ 5K run Every session of Bike for me I do at least double and now my running session are minimum 4 to 6 miles to make sure Im well over the 3 miles required.. How much do you think I should aim to swim eventually to prep the 400m .... 800 ?? I just wanna make sure Im nice and ready considering that day it all happens in one shot.

Answers:

1. Yes, you would wear the Tri Suit for the duration of the event. People do not really change from one garmet to another until they do a Full Ironman, and then it's mostly for comfort and the larger pad that bicycle shorts offer. Whether or not you buy the Nike one is up to you, but make sure it's comfortable to you and fits properly. I can tell you that I started with a Tri Suit, but as I'm going up in distance I switched to a two piece for comfort, which is what I wore this weekend for the first time. Some people do not like the feel of a tri suit, but it's a personnal thing.

2. You don't need to concern yourself right now with your swim time, you only need to ensure that you can do the distance (the time will be what it is). Don't let that picture get you scared, becuase this was a larger event and I positioned myself in the second row at the front of the group. You can always stay back or way out to the side and not have to deal with that. As far as breathing and everything in a situation like that it is just key to remain calm, if you have to slow down you do, main thing is not to panic. The other thing here is what kind of swim your doing, how you will start, and where it is. Pool swim, lake, wave start, time trial start, group flights, What kind of swim and start will yours' be?

3. Yes, 800 would likely be a good mark for you to set that you know you can swim non stop with little problem. It is not neccesary, but will help with your confidence on the day in question to know that you have done double the distance several times before.

On another note to your quesitons, make sure that on some of your training days to shorten the bike and then do a run afterwards. Your body needs to be conditioned to getting off the bike and running. No, you don't need to bike 12 and then run 3 to be ready, but if you get to that point then great, you will know how hard you can push on race day.

Just wanted to add on to what Todd said regarding the swim. If the washing machine scares you be assured that almost all of us felt that way in the beggining. Another swim option for you is to wait till also the other swimmers get moving then jump in at the very back of the pack. this being your first time you want to enjoy the experience. Don't worry about your time, the swim will be over before you know it. And there is no shame in needing to grab the side of a support craft and rest for a few seconds and get your breath.

Regarding your tri suit you have to be comfortable as you will not be changing. You need to make sure it has the propper support so be sure to give it a few true before race day. Good luck!!

Beth

Edited by Hubbie 2013-06-03 2:00 PM
2013-06-03 6:13 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

Hey thank for the great answers gang.

The swim is open water in the beach you start out a few at a time and I believe its time trial so no matter basically you do
your very best and just enjoy the experience at the end, but for some reason my ego and my competitive spirit actually
wants to do a decent time and at least be a middle of the pack type guy. I really do appreciate how modest and down to
earth everybody is here and that help me realize that its just my first event and after I get this one under my belt perhaps
I can think about times and things of that nature in the future.

I going to go to a few places here in NYC that will let me try several TRI suits and I will make sure if feel perfect before I buy.
For some reason I like the one piece because it would seam less water gets in. Im also reading alot about the and some even
add material so your lower back and legs float more thus giving you more confidence.

Todd you are 100% right I need to do some bike to run sessions to get a feel for it. The other day I rode 20+ miles and jumped off while
the wife held the bike and ran around the block and although at first I thought I was gonna fall to the floor, It wasnt that bad my legs felt
strong and muscles swollen type feel. Also Im thinking about having my wife help me do a couple of sprint rounds at flushing meadow
park, I would jump in pool do the swim, run out ( As best as I can ) ride the 12 miles on bike and run the three just to see how it feels.

Again thanks for your help and if anybody has any suggestions on websites and brands for the TRI suit please do note them.

P.S. Yesterday I did a 51 mile ride that included two states ( NY/NJ ) and had a blast, but todays 3 miles run was a killer.
2013-06-03 7:04 PM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Extreme Veteran
The one that I use to use and still have is an Orca. I really liked it while I used it. Your choices are basically Orca, Zoot, 2XU, Pearl Izumi, Nike, plus others.

While talking about tri wear, no one commented on my bright green top I wore in recognition of the mighty turtles!!!!
2013-06-03 9:11 PM

User image

New user
Hi everyone! I hope your week is off to a good start. I have a question: what does your training on the bike really look like? I've read here on the site that in your first year of training for tris you should just concentrate on volume. I'm assuming volume = distance you can ride without dying. I think my question really stems from the fact that Im worried that Im losing my level of fitness now that I've started training. I'm just straight riding for time, increasing the time each week trying to stay around a certain RPM the entire time. I feel like I should be doing some intervals or something during these sessions, no? (Formerly was doing 30-45min interval class using the bike 2-3 times per week)...

2013-06-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Dawn I really shouldn't even be answering your question... You are probably more knowledgeable than myself on the subject. I would think if you believe you are losing fitness than you need to pick up the intensity possibly distance too. Maybe intervals as well. Sounds like your ability is above beginner cyclist maybe and you are an exception to the rule ;-)
2013-06-03 9:31 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Hi everyone! I hope your week is off to a good start. I have a question: what does your training on the bike really look like? I've read here on the site that in your first year of training for tris you should just concentrate on volume. I'm assuming volume = distance you can ride without dying. I think my question really stems from the fact that Im worried that Im losing my level of fitness now that I've started training. I'm just straight riding for time, increasing the time each week trying to stay around a certain RPM the entire time. I feel like I should be doing some intervals or something during these sessions, no? (Formerly was doing 30-45min interval class using the bike 2-3 times per week)...

Just my personal opinion here but I think that volume rule is assuming that the rider has no fitness level and has little to no ride time in. In my first year of racing I chose routes that had hills of various sizes and places of flat. That way I could get my volume in as well as hill work and I used the flat areas to do intervals.

Another thing to remember is that the plans here are just that: plans. I frequently alter and at times completely change my plan. I change it to sit my needs and time constraints of that day. So if you feel that your volume is okay but you need the hills and intervals than that is what you need to do. After all you plan came from a computer of some sort and not a human who can tune into what you truly need.

Hope this helps.

Beth
2013-06-03 9:33 PM

User image

Good run for me tonight personal record pace for me in my adult life anyway. Ran 2.5 @ a 8:19 pace. Now i need to get under 8! Im glad to see such improvement from when i started i couldn't even run a half mile without walking! that was only a few months ago. Feeling good right now. Tomorrow is my wife's birthday and i have a busy day before work cooking breakfast for her and going out to dinner after work so doubtful i will get a work out in. The next day is my birthday and i should be able to get one maybe two in.

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-06-03 9:36 PM
2013-06-03 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran

The one that I use to use and still have is an Orca. I really liked it while I used it. Your choices are basically Orca, Zoot, 2XU, Pearl Izumi, Nike, plus others.

While talking about tri wear, no one commented on my bright green top I wore in recognition of the mighty turtles!!!!

I have a full sleeve Orca and I love it.

By the way Todd, love your Turtle Green top!!

Beth
2013-06-03 9:58 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Good run for me tonight personal record pace for me in my adult life anyway. Ran 2.5 @ a 8:19 pace. Now i need to get under 8! Im glad to see such improvement from when i started i couldn't even run a half mile without walking! that was only a few months ago. Feeling good right now. Tomorrow is my wife's birthday and i have a busy day before work cooking breakfast for her and going out to dinner after work so doubtful i will get a work out in. The next day is my birthday and i should be able to get one maybe two in.

WOW! Thats the one thing Im having trouble with... PACE. I have gone from running nothing to being able to do 5 or 6 miles but even when I do 2 or more miles I cant come down so far from 9:10. Thats the one place I think Im gonna get killed in the TRI the running, I look at some people at the park and they fly.

2013-06-03 9:59 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

Originally posted by Hubbie

I have a full sleeve Orca and I love it.

By the way Todd, love your Turtle Green top!!

Beth

I will look into ORCA in 3 2 1 .......
2013-06-04 4:25 AM

User image

Happy birthday! (To both you and your wife!)

I can remember albeit barely. A time in my life when a birthday consisted of booze, fried foods and cake - not a double workout session! Good for you...enjoy your brick birthdays!
2013-06-04 4:31 AM

User image

WOW! Thats the one thing Im having trouble with... PACE. I have gone from running nothing to being able to do 5 or 6 miles but even when I do 2 or more miles I cant come down so far from 9:10. Thats the one place I think Im gonna get killed in the TRI the running, I look at some people at the park and they fly.

Increasing pace on long runs rarely works for me. I end up starting out fast and then hitting the wall and the pace creeps up and my overall average is about "normal" for me. Maybe try and include a tempo or fast run in your plan that is a shorter run where you think you can push the pace the entire time or possibly some intervals of fast/slow. Just a thought.
2013-06-04 4:33 AM

, Alabama
Hi guys, I have been reading through the posts and everyone's training seems to be coming along. It is great to read of so much enthusiasm, this sport really does draw us all in pretty quickly, I know I am totally addicted. Unfortunately I am sick again, so will miss a tri I was entered in for Saturday, and can't train at the minute. Funny how you REALLY want to train when you can't but when you can you have to drag yourself out of bed in the morning. I will give you all a laugh - I am 53 and I have been told by doctors twice in the last few days that I need tests 'because of my age". And that "at 53 we need to be careful".......... Grrrrrrrr don't these folk know I am a triathlete!!!! Seriously though I was surprised to be asked if I was on blood thinning drugs, had high cholesterol, had high blood pressure, was on statins etc all as if they expected a yes, they seemed almost doubtful when I replied no to all questions. I was then shown my chest X-ray and the doctor commented on what great shape my heart was in, and how most people my age show signs of heart disease!! Ok stop with the generalisations please and did I mention I am a triathlete not a couch potato....... Honestly I was made to feel about 100 the way they kept going on about my age. The good news is I basically got a free health check and my heart, lungs, kidneys, liver etc are all great! I do however have a touch of pleuritis which has me out of the game for a week or two. Anyone else out there feel 53 years young?!
2013-06-04 5:04 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I had a similar experience with the medical fraternity when I was pregnant at the grand old age of 37. It as all "we have to be careful with older mothers and their babies" etc etc. Being an "elderly primi" as they termed me made me feel clapped out and ready for a wooden box. Now the child they were so concerned about is tearing around at lightning speed and I've taken up the sport of triathlon so I can be fit enough to keep up with/catch her Laughing.

2013-06-04 5:09 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
The fitness thing hasn't really worked this week, though, I've been laid up with a cold the past few days. It sucks, feeling wrung out and flat, and having to have a sit down after 10 minutes minimal activity. I've dosed up on echinacea, garlic, honey and lemon, and this evening I even broke the old juicer out of the cupboard and started on the vegie juice. Something's got to kick start my immune system sooner or later!
2013-06-04 6:35 AM

, Alabama
Originally posted by Taringa

I had a similar experience with the medical fraternity when I was pregnant at the grand old age of 37. It as all "we have to be careful with older mothers and their babies" etc etc. Being an "elderly primi" as they termed me made me feel clapped out and ready for a wooden box. Now the child they were so concerned about is tearing around at lightning speed and I've taken up the sport of triathlon so I can be fit enough to keep up with/catch herĀ Laughing.

Haha yeah I got that too. As I had my youngest son when I was 39.
2013-06-04 6:37 AM

, Alabama
Originally posted by Taringa

The fitness thing hasn't really worked this week, though, I've been laid up with a cold the past few days. It sucks, feeling wrung out and flat, and having to have a sit down after 10 minutes minimal activity. I've dosed up on echinacea, garlic, honey and lemon, and this evening I even broke the old juicer out of the cupboard and started on the vegie juice. Something's got to kick start my immune system sooner or later!

I can certainly identify with that. I am trying everything to kick start my immune system, including ginger tablets which are supposed to help respiratory matters!
2013-06-04 8:37 AM

User image

Well now I have gone and done it...

I just registered for a "fun swim" - across a nearby lake. Its a .67 mile swim, fortunately for me its two months away.

Now I have something to shoot for!

In theory I should be finished with the 0to1650 program by then and what better way to get some OWS experience without also having to worry about a bike and run at the same time. Well thats my logic at least...well see how it pans out.

Edited by Usulsuspct 2013-06-04 8:47 AM
2013-06-04 8:50 AM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Usulsuspct

I just registered for a "fun swim" - across a nearby lake. Its a .67 mile swim, fortunately for me its two months away.

In theory I should be finished with the 0to1650 program by then and what better way to get some OWS experience without also having to worry about a bike and run at the same time. Well thats my logic at least...well see how it pans out.

Good for You and at the rate your training I assure you that the swim will feel like nothing to you on that day.

2013-06-04 9:15 AM

User image

Happy birthday! (To both you and your wife!)

I can remember albeit barely. A time in my life when a birthday consisted of booze, fried foods and cake - not a double workout session! Good for you...enjoy your brick birthdays!

why do you think i need to do two workouts my birthday??? Its to help offset all the beer, hot wings, cake and ice cream! Lol. Thanks for the birthday wishes!
2013-06-04 11:15 AM

, Alabama

Sounds like a great idea, and with two months to train it will be easy peasy lemon squeezy!
2013-06-04 11:16 AM

, Alabama

Hope you guys both have great birthdays! Well done on the PR.
2013-06-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok Turtles, this is not a challenge issued by me, but here it goes:

As a Mentor one of the things I am encourged to do is to try and encourage those in my group to explore and utilize all that BT has to offer. So in the spirit of that I would like for everyone to open the Challenge Forum and take a look. This is where you and others can make challenges and / or chose to participate in one. I just signed up to participate in this months challege, which is Pick your Challenge. You challenge yourself to reach a goal for the month is as few as one thing or as many as four. I have chosen Swim, Bike, and Run marks for the month. The goals can be anything from Pounds lost during the month, to walking, to spending time with the family, whatever you want. This challenge and others are to encourage you to reach your goals and they also offer a great way to meet others here on BT and make new friends. Like I said no one has to participate I would just like for everyone to take a look at the challenge forum. Part of the reason is that next month is the Grand Daddy of all Challenges, but I will talk about that later for those of you who don't know what I'm referring to.

Thank you as always for everyones contribution and hard work in this group.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45