BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-08-20 7:08 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
Was riding with a friend last weekend and it was misting with an overcast, cars where driving with their lights on to give you an idea of the day. I showed up wearing a bright yellow windbreaker and made sure my light on the back of the bike was working. My friend was wearing all black, no lights and had no bag that I could see that would hold any spare tire. I asked her if she had a flat what would she do and she said she would call her husband who would come and fix it for her. I had to so bite my tongue as she is training for her 2nd 70.3 on the many things I thought she was doing wrong that day. Am I being a bike snob for wanting people to be able to change their own tires if they are going to race and to think about what they are wearing and how motorist can see them?

2013-08-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I don't see that as being a bike snob. I see that as being a good cyclist. There are many drivers out there that don't want us on the roads. The best we can do is to follow the rules and take every precaution. As for changing a tire - I don't think anyone should be allowed to race a HIM or a full without proving they know how. It isn't difficult to learn and free clinics are offered all the time. Doing a HIM or IM tells me you take this sport seriously. If that is the case, then you would know some simple bike maintenance and would be a good safe rider. (that's my 2 cents)

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Was riding with a friend last weekend and it was misting with an overcast, cars where driving with their lights on to give you an idea of the day. I showed up wearing a bright yellow windbreaker and made sure my light on the back of the bike was working. My friend was wearing all black, no lights and had no bag that I could see that would hold any spare tire. I asked her if she had a flat what would she do and she said she would call her husband who would come and fix it for her. I had to so bite my tongue as she is training for her 2nd 70.3 on the many things I thought she was doing wrong that day. Am I being a bike snob for wanting people to be able to change their own tires if they are going to race and to think about what they are wearing and how motorist can see them?
2013-08-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Expert
Yes - also agree and you are not being a bike snob. I go nuts when I see people on the road with no helmets, riding the wrong way in traffic, etc... I also go nuts when I see ROAD bikers in full road gear clipped in going 25 mph on the curving trail with runners, walkers, kids, etc.. Get you and road bike on the ROAD where you belong!! (now that might be kind of snobbish haha)

As far as changing your tire - that is their own deal, BUT don't expect others to stick around and help or give you their spares etc... If you are going to be racing any Iron distance race you are going to be spending a significant amount of time on the road away from home and should AT LEAST know how to change a tire. It really is not that hard. I actually time myself like a NASCAR pit crew and have made a game out of it when I swap my road tire and trainer tire. Plus why would you even take the chance during a race? There is a big difference of taking 10 minutes to change it yourself and waiting 30 minutes or more for the bike crew to come by and save your .

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

I don't see that as being a bike snob. I see that as being a good cyclist. There are many drivers out there that don't want us on the roads. The best we can do is to follow the rules and take every precaution. As for changing a tire - I don't think anyone should be allowed to race a HIM or a full without proving they know how. It isn't difficult to learn and free clinics are offered all the time. Doing a HIM or IM tells me you take this sport seriously. If that is the case, then you would know some simple bike maintenance and would be a good safe rider. (that's my 2 cents)

2013-08-21 10:23 AM

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Questions and Some
This is very impressive. It shows how dedication and mental strength can take the human body a long way. I'm glad to be in this group because of people like KC.

Originally posted by tmoran80

KC- you are the man. For the newer members of the group...When I first met this guy over two years ago he was struggling with sprints and Olympics then out of the blue he announces he registered for the New York IM! I thought "this guy is crazy to sign up for that race" haha. A year and half later and TWO Ironman 140.6 races under your belt I couldn't have been more wrong back then. Like I said on Facebook - you are a stud. Great job and now rest that body for a little.
2013-08-21 10:26 AM

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Questions and Some
Tim - I don't disagree with your decision to continue. If you wait to be 100% you'll probably never get anything done. You can always stop running if the pain becomes to much. Looks like you're doing great with your runs so keep it up.

Decided this weekend that I am going to continue with my marathon training and if my condition worsens then I will drop out. I did a 14 miler on Sunday with last 5 miles at race pace and felt good. Ended up with a 9:33/mile pace.

Still gonna go to consultation with the surgeon on Thursday and see what he says...
2013-08-21 10:29 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Chicago
Simone- Take care of your self. I think that you are on the right path and it's great that you have the big picture in mind. Adapting to the situation in front of you is important so that you can continue moving forward. Don't lose your vision. Keep up the great work!!!

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Thanks for the support everyone. I spoke with my therapist tonight about everything, he is a sports psychologist as well so he gave me a lot to think about from a clinical and performance point of view, and we've began to map out a plan to get me to the start of IMOZ in optimal condition. I've also rearranged my bedroom so I can have my road bike set up on my trainer in front of my TV and ready to go should the weather outside be too lousey for a mountain bike ride. I would rather ride my bike on the trainer at home than the gym because I need to get used to it again and with a new TV which has a built in media player I have an endless supply of movies, not to mention IM Kona coverages to keep me motivated, distracted and entertained. For the next seven weeks I plan on just going with the flow training wise, the main thing I want to do is try and establish a routine of getting up early and training early again and of course getting my nutrition back on track, they are the main goals. Once I get closer to October I will see whether I want to follow a stricter IM plan or put together a more flexible one.

2013-08-21 10:37 AM

User image

Chicago
I also don't think that you are being a snob. It's riders that are not prepared and not following the rules that make it harder for the rest of us. I also like to be prepared and self sufficient that if I get in a situation where I'm broken down that I can get out of it on my own. Although I must say that my wife is the same as your friend. She relies on me to bail her out when she gets in trouble but she follows the bike commuter rules.

Yes - also agree and you are not being a bike snob. I go nuts when I see people on the road with no helmets, riding the wrong way in traffic, etc... I also go nuts when I see ROAD bikers in full road gear clipped in going 25 mph on the curving trail with runners, walkers, kids, etc.. Get you and road bike on the ROAD where you belong!! (now that might be kind of snobbish haha)

As far as changing your tire - that is their own deal, BUT don't expect others to stick around and help or give you their spares etc... If you are going to be racing any Iron distance race you are going to be spending a significant amount of time on the road away from home and should AT LEAST know how to change a tire. It really is not that hard. I actually time myself like a NASCAR pit crew and have made a game out of it when I swap my road tire and trainer tire. Plus why would you even take the chance during a race? There is a big difference of taking 10 minutes to change it yourself and waiting 30 minutes or more for the bike crew to come by and save your .

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

2013-08-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

Orlando
Hello!
Krazytallchick invited me to come over from our other board. I hope that would be ok,because I'm always looking for some good advice.

I'm a new triathlete who's first race was a sprint in March, which I BARELY survived. Since then I have done 4 more sprints, Rocketman Olympic distance and another Olympic distance.

I have goals for 2 HIM next year (gulf coast and Augusta) plus Florida IM next year.
That being said I'm horridly slow in all 3 aspects..but I just love the sport

I would love to get in a good supportive group and KTC says u all are all of that

Thanks!

Edited by Lou_70 2013-08-21 3:18 PM
2013-08-21 5:28 PM
in reply to: Lou_70

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Lou!

Don't let him kid you. He is working with a fantastic coach who has helped him with his speed especially on the bike. (Still jealous about that).

Kathy

QUOTE]Originally posted by Lou_70

Hello!
Krazytallchick invited me to come over from our other board. I hope that would be ok,because I'm always looking for some good advice.

I'm a new triathlete who's first race was a sprint in March, which I BARELY survived. Since then I have done 4 more sprints, Rocketman Olympic distance and another Olympic distance.

I have goals for 2 HIM next year (gulf coast and Augusta) plus Florida IM next year.

I would love to get in a good supportive group and KTC says u all are all of that

Thanks!

2013-08-21 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Lou!

Don't let him kid you, he is working with a fantastic coach who has helped him with his speed especially on the bike. (Still jealous about that).

Kathy

QUOTE]Originally posted by Lou_70

Hello!

Thanks!

2013-08-21 5:44 PM

Orlando
Thanks Kathy!

Yea I am very lucky to have found her. She puts up with me and keeps me moving forward

2013-08-21 6:11 PM

User image

I don't think you're being a bike snob at all. The tire things is silly, but I cannot stand when people ride dangerously like that. If nothing else, it justifies some of the complaints drivers have about cyclists when they complain that they can't see us.

Sorta related: My friend did his first tri last spring. An extended sprint. He had bought his first road bike a few weeks before and hadn't really trained with it. Confident he could finish he did the race anyway. About 5 miles from the bike finish he got a flat. Turns out he had no kit or tools whatsoever. The bike shop hadn't recommended anything and he didn't realize he needed them. His exact quote —after DNF'ing — was, "I got a flat tire, so I have to take this back to the bike shop tomorrow." Dude had no idea that you could repair your own flats!
2013-08-21 6:17 PM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Hello!

I'm sorry, I realized today that it's been forever since I posted. Training is moving along. My wife and I spent a week at the Jersey Shore (it's not really like the show — at least not where we go) so I got a LOT of riding in, but no swimming. My race is 17 days out, and I think I'll make it. It may take 5 hours, but I'll make it.

Based on everyone's advice, I've picked up my pace out of Z2 on my shorter running days and kept it slow and steady on the longer days. I feel stronger, especially in the pool. Was able to do a mile without stopping again today. Again, slowly, but I was huffing and puffing after five laps not too long ago.

I'm really thinking about HIM Syracuse next spring and maybe maybe maybe maybe IM Kentucky in the summer.

Just thought I should check in and thank everyone for their advice and inspiration.
2013-08-21 11:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Welcome to the group Lou!
2013-08-22 5:55 AM

User image

Welcome to the group, Lou! Don't worry about being slow. You're not the only one.
2013-08-22 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Welcome Lou!!

2013-08-22 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Your progress is looking good Mike! Keep up the great work!
2013-08-23 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome to the group Lou!! That sounds like some pretty intense goals for next year. How much are those races spread apart? Don't worry about being slow. Remember Iron distance races are not about who finishes the fastest, it is about who slows down the least. Finding your pace that is gonna get you across the finish line and sticking with it is much better than being just fast.

Originally posted by Lou_70

Hello!

Thanks!

2013-08-23 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Great to hear from you Mike and nice progress on the swimming. I think you will be surprised about how well you do at your race. Keep i ntouch and updated as you get closer to the race!

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Hello!

I'm sorry, I realized today that it's been forever since I posted. Training is moving along. My wife and I spent a week at the Jersey Shore (it's not really like the show — at least not where we go) so I got a LOT of riding in, but no swimming. My race is 17 days out, and I think I'll make it. It may take 5 hours, but I'll make it.

Based on everyone's advice, I've picked up my pace out of Z2 on my shorter running days and kept it slow and steady on the longer days. I feel stronger, especially in the pool. Was able to do a mile without stopping again today. Again, slowly, but I was huffing and puffing after five laps not too long ago.

I'm really thinking about HIM Syracuse next spring and maybe maybe maybe maybe IM Kentucky in the summer.

Just thought I should check in and thank everyone for their advice and inspiration.
2013-08-23 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on the training Mike! It is amazing what training in that Zone 2 can do once you allow yourself to slow down and stay in that zone.

Can't wait to hear how your race goes. Good Luck!

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Hello!

2013-08-23 9:44 AM

Orlando
Thanks!

The gameplan for next year is early May doing the Gulf Coast HIM. Early October doing Augusta as a tune up race and November doing IM Florida.

Warming up next year at St Anthony's.. It does sound like alot, but to get past IM florida I think I need to get a couple long races under my belt. That and I'm a Glutton for punishment

2013-08-23 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
So I went to the surgeon for my consultation yesterday and he told me that I am a candidate for surgery because I am having pain but that I can hold off until after the marathon and that training will not make the hernia any worse. It is all just based on how much pain and discomfort I want to deal with. That news gave me a little mental boost and hopefully will let me get through these last couple weeks of my plan.

I have had two really good runs this week as my plan picks up my speed training and marathon pace work. I also started back up with HR monitor so I can gauge and see were I am at. For you number geeks like me here are my workouts haha:

8 Mile temp Run - (9:11/mile pace w/ 154 Avg. HR HIGH Z2) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/362634591
9 Mile Marathon Pace Run - (9:08/mile pace w/ 156 Avg. HR HIGH Z2) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/363627600

I am happy to see high Z2 on these runs. If I can stay in this zone for at least more than half than I can gut out the last 8 or so miles and hopefully have some left in the tank. My typical wall is Mile 20 but I have never run a perfectly execute race. Running a marathon is an art. Hoping my experience and training this time will get me past that 4 hour barrier. Training is right on target for it so we will see...

2013-08-23 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Lou -This is just my opinion so please don't take offense - but doing that 70.3 four weeks out from your Ironman might not be the best idea training wise and not sure if you are going to allow yourself enough time to recover. I guess it depends on how you plan to race it but my thinking is if you just do it at an easy pace I am not sure how that is going to help you for 140.6. That week you should be finishing your peak training and you should be doing 100+ mile (5-6 hour) bike ride with long brick run after and another 16+ mile run. My thought is that the training is more critical then doing a HIM (plus it will save yous some $$$ haha) I guess my point is that you want to go into your taper period feeling strong - not recovering from a long race. What does your coach think?

Thanks!

The gameplan for next year is early May doing the Gulf Coast HIM. Early October doing Augusta as a tune up race and November doing IM Florida.

Warming up next year at St Anthony's.. It does sound like alot, but to get past IM florida I think I need to get a couple long races under my belt. That and I'm a Glutton for punishment

2013-08-23 10:05 AM

Orlando
She is the one who recommended it... And I take no offence at all!! I appreciate any advice

I will ask her again maybe a sooner one would be better I have no clue.. I'm a total rookie

She might of not been looking that closely at the dates since it is so far off. I have to get through gulf coast first.

2013-08-23 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Augusta HIM is always the last weekend in September and we have lots of folks here doing Augusta before Florida. So it really is a personally opinion. I am doing Augusta this year before IMAZ and AZ is 2 weeks after Florida.

There is much talk about whether or not Augusta would move their date since it is on the same day as the new Ironman race in Chattanooga. So keep that in mind too.

Lou -This is just my opinion so please don't take offense - but doing that 70.3 four weeks out from your Ironman might not be the best idea training wise and not sure if you are going to allow yourself enough time to recover. I guess it depends on how you plan to race it but my thinking is if you just do it at an easy pace I am not sure how that is going to help you for 140.6. That week you should be finishing your peak training and you should be doing 100+ mile (5-6 hour) bike ride with long brick run after and another 16+ mile run. My thought is that the training is more critical then doing a HIM (plus it will save yous some $$$ haha) I guess my point is that you want to go into your taper period feeling strong - not recovering from a long race. What does your coach think?

Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28