BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-02-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I went to the gym today with my husband and had a horrible swim. I did not use any of the training aids that I have been working with. My breathing was really off. I have no problem UNDER the water, it is when I turn to grab a breath, I am not getting enough air. My husband swam in the next lane and patiently did drills with me. My legs got tired fast. I have not swam in a few days as I had a sinus thing going on. When I have swims like this it makes me feel like I should cross off any hopes of ever doing any kind of swim out of a pool and over 300 meters. I know I am expecting way to much out of myself as I just learned how to do the Freestyle last month. Lately the pool has had crazy hours because of the freak snow. I have another swim lesson booked with the swim coach that I hired last month. She only wanted me to work on certain drills and she wanted me to use my fins and snorkel for some of them. I love my snorkel as it lets me breathe and I don't struggle to get some air. She wants me to use my snorkel in my upcoming race. Snorkels ARE legal but I have only seen one person use one. I read on another forum here on BT that someone was also using a swim snorkel for training and wanted to also use it in their upcoming race.... someone responded that you DONT want to be *that guy* that has the snorkel. Its not cheating and if it was such a great advantage then EVERYONE would be using one. After my swim I did 30 min on the spin bike, my base building continues on the bike and heart rate stayed right where it should be.

Hope everyone has a great week! now back to the Olympics!

Stay postive, you are right it will come around and you have not been at it that long. Nothing great ever comes easy. As far as being THAT GUY, I say "screw that". If that is what it takes to get you through your first then that is what it takes and you hold your head high. If you want to take a bucket into transition, then do it. I get kind of tired of some of the elitist attitudes that come along with Triathletes. You are a grown women and are not breaking any rules so do what you think is best for you. Also most won't even notice if you don't broadcast it and likly no one will care if you are not on the podium and even if you are, once again it's not illegal.

Todd~
I am playing catch up on the computer today....I want to say THANK YOU for the awesome respons. I agree with you that unfortunately for some reason a very small percentage of Triathletes have a really bad attitude... you nailed it perfect when you said *Elitist attitude*. I don't know why people act like that because their is zero reason for people to act like total jackasses! A few are on this site and I get a good laugh at them! Thanks again and I agree *screw that* lol I will think of that when I start feeling tired of yucky!!

Darcie

2014-03-01 12:16 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Veteran
Hello again everyone. Sorry about the long period of silence. Life here has been busy, busy, busy. I'm still doing my best to get two training sessions in every day six days a week for my Ironman. I've noticed a huge jump in my overall fitness and endurance. My swim plan has me doing 100-200 meters of using the kick board at the start of every swim. I've noticed how much stronger my legs are and how that translates to the run, bike, and swim.

I picked up a part time job at the gym I workout at. This provides me with a free membership and climbing up and down stairs for 20 hours a week provides additional workouts.

This past week has been a bit weird though. Last Saturday I was driving home after working my shift at the gym, I was less than a mile from home and I got a deer. Totaled out my car but I'm thankful no one was hurt. So I only got four of the scheduled twelve training sessions in.

I'll go though the previous post here in a bit. Hope everyone has a good day.

Beth
2014-03-01 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Open Water similation
Swim: Today was open water simulation workout. After warm-ups, lesson breaks, etc., we took out all the lanes lines.
For 20 minutes we had to swim up and back, starting all at once. The idea is to get used to group swimming during a race where people may swim over you, constantly bump you or even kick you. With the pool now choppy, breathing had to be careful less you get a mouthful of water.
I think I did well, holding my 3:45/100 yards for 20 minutes. I got in about 550 yards. I was happy with my performance and show of improvement.
The only thing good about being the slowest is there was no one in the back to bump or kick me.
Then we did sprints horizontally across the pool.

Transition: 15 minutes to change, drive to another location and get to my spin class on time. I did make it. My sat morning class is at a swim center, only pools no other workout equipment.

Spin Class: I worked hard and pushed myself for 45 minutes even though I felt a little tired from swimming.. I still felt good and had a great workout. This instructor works you as if you are prepping to go outdoor riding.

Challenge: I have done the challenge 3 times at least this week.

Edited by Lovey 2014-03-01 1:12 PM
2014-03-01 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Look what I did....
So last night I had to make a decision that I have been toying around with....April 13 I was going to go to White Lake to do a sprint that included a swim in the lake that based on last years experience with the wind and high chop, has made me nervous to get back in. I was ready to sign up till I saw they changed the swim to 750 meters...... I know with over a month left of swims that I could swim the distance.... might have to throw some side stroke and breast stroke in the mix and maybe even a kayak break for a few minutes....but I have decided against it.... instead I am doing this..........

Participant Darcie **********
Payment Status Completed
Payment Type : Credit Card
Series White lake Half Iron Distance Duathlon
Event Category Novice Masters Female
Event Date Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 9:45AM

This is held on the same day as the White lake half. The Duathlon is 2 miles run 56 miles bike and 13.1 run.................... knowing I do not have to swim is making me feel 10000000000% safer LOL The longest bike ride I have ever done is 37 miles. I have run in a bunch of half marathons and one full (which I hated because it was soooo boring) I am super excited about this!!! I will probably be the last one across the wire but that does not matter to me. Finishing this will be a huge victory for me. I have never gone in a Duathlon before. I have never been in a Tri over the sprint distance. I have already had people tell me I probably need *more training time* I disagree. Not everyone has time for 3-4 hour bike rides and unlimited time to go on longer runs. I am doing what I can with what I have. My hubs has surgery on his shoulder next week so that puts him out of training so I am going at this totally alone. Their are two other people I know that are going in the Half but they have total opposite times to work out then I do. I actually like training alone so I don't have to wait on people to show up. I do like riding my bike with someone though in case of emergencies. Anyways I knew this group would give me a fist pump and a few encouraging words. I had to pay last night by midnight or the price was shooting up. I am nervous but excited about this race!!

Todd~ Great job on your workouts! You seem to be rolling right along! Nice work on the 10:30 running pace! way to go!! Yes riding on a pair of Zipps was and is awesome! I will get to use them on my next two races as hubby recovers from his surgery!

Rod~ So glad to see you out and about with that ankle healing up! Sounds like you are cracking the whip and getting it done! Odd hours are very hard to deal with at work. I don't even want to think about what kind of hours are coming my way in a few months... odd meal times as well just really suck! Great job on taking charge and putting together some meal plans. You are on the right track to success!! Your trip to the US sounds fun and you will definitely see a ton of snow if you are going to Boston and New York. If you find yourself down on the North Carolina coast let me know! The bike store story had me laughing! I do a lot of online bike parts and accessory strictly online because the two bike stores here are run by the two same jerk brothers who think that we are STUPID. When I bought hubs a new pair of 808 Zipps for Xmas we took them to the bike shop to get some tires and the guy who was helping us had a crappy attitude because we didn't buy the wheels from him. I gathered up our things after he insulted us and we will never ever go back there again. I am glad you took your business ELSEWHERE!

Taringa~ Great video about the transitions!! This is one area I find that I am usually a bit worn out and moving fast is the last thing that crosses my mind! LOL I have the same issues with going straight while strapping on bike shoes... I no longer try to hop on LOL I just take a minute longer and that way I know I have all my gear! You sound like you have it nailed!! So it is now Sunday in OZ.... HOW WAS YOUR Sprint??? I bet you rocked it!

Cassowary~ You always make me laugh..... Love your sypnosis *We are just Turltes* no threat to anyone LOL

Tweets~ WOW great job on your 5k!!! 29:02!! Way to go!! I hope you had a lovely time visiting with your Grandparents! And yes you would LOVE the ZIPPS!! They are super smooth and super light and keep on rollin!

Beth~ Great to hear from you. I am so sorry you got in a wreck with a deer. I had that happen about 15 years ago and it is scary and those things will total your car! At least you are safe!

I worked out all week except yesterday..... The group I was going to run with all flaked out at the last minute because it was cold outside.... that's what I get for waiting and hoping people will show up.... I cant afford to do that anymore....not with this Duathlon coming up! I am taking a rest day today as my shins are hurting from running on Monday....I plan on swim and bike tomorrow morning. Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

Darcie

Edited by Pixiedustlady 2014-03-01 2:36 PM
2014-03-01 8:09 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Triathlon Tips
Originally posted by Taringa

Well, I've finished my workouts for the week (rest day tomorrow before the race) and I'm happy to have completed the challenge. Bike and T1 Monday, swim tuesday, brick and T1/T2 Thursday, and a swim again today. Could have done more T2 practice but didn't quite manage it. Looking forward to the sprint on Sunday!

I know you are going to do great Sunday. You put in the work and now you get some icing!!!! O ya almozt forgot its Turtle Time
2014-03-01 8:15 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

Hello again everyone. Sorry about the long period of silence. Life here has been busy, busy, busy. I'm still doing my best to get two training sessions in every day six days a week for my Ironman. I've noticed a huge jump in my overall fitness and endurance. My swim plan has me doing 100-200 meters of using the kick board at the start of every swim. I've noticed how much stronger my legs are and how that translates to the run, bike, and swim.

I picked up a part time job at the gym I workout at. This provides me with a free membership and climbing up and down stairs for 20 hours a week provides additional workouts.

This past week has been a bit weird though. Last Saturday I was driving home after working my shift at the gym, I was less than a mile from home and I got a deer. Totaled out my car but I'm thankful no one was hurt. So I only got four of the scheduled twelve training sessions in.

I'll go though the previous post here in a bit. Hope everyone has a good day.

Beth

Sorry about the car i had one run it the side of my truck a couple of weeks ago going to a ride. Stsy at it Betb i know will will do whst is needed snd will cross that line

2014-03-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Open Water similation
Originally posted by Lovey

Swim: Today was open water simulation workout. After warm-ups, lesson breaks, etc., we took out all the lanes lines.
For 20 minutes we had to swim up and back, starting all at once. The idea is to get used to group swimming during a race where people may swim over you, constantly bump you or even kick you. With the pool now choppy, breathing had to be careful less you get a mouthful of water.
I think I did well, holding my 3:45/100 yards for 20 minutes. I got in about 550 yards. I was happy with my performance and show of improvement.
The only thing good about being the slowest is there was no one in the back to bump or kick me.
Then we did sprints horizontally across the pool.

Transition: 15 minutes to change, drive to another location and get to my spin class on time. I did make it. My sat morning class is at a swim center, only pools no other workout equipment.

Spin Class: I worked hard and pushed myself for 45 minutes even though I felt a little tired from swimming.. I still felt good and had a great workout. This instructor works you as if you are prepping to go outdoor riding.

Challenge: I have done the challenge 3 times at least this week.

What a great idea and congrsts to you for staying calm and staying on pace. Spin class can put it on you especially if your already wore out

Tracey i would have never thought of that but what a great idea
2014-03-01 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Look what I did....

So last night I had to make a decision that I have been toying around with....April 13 I was going to go to White Lake to do a sprint that included a swim in the lake that based on last years experience with the wind and high chop, has made me nervous to get back in. I was ready to sign up till I saw they changed the swim to 750 meters...... I know with over a month left of swims that I could swim the distance.... might have to throw some side stroke and breast stroke in the mix and maybe even a kayak break for a few minutes....but I have decided against it.... instead I am doing this..........

Participant Darcie **********
Payment Status Completed
Payment Type : Credit Card
Series White lake Half Iron Distance Duathlon
Event Category Novice Masters Female
Event Date Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 9:45AM

This is held on the same day as the White lake half. The Duathlon is 2 miles run 56 miles bike and 13.1 run.................... knowing I do not have to swim is making me feel 10000000000% safer LOL The longest bike ride I have ever done is 37 miles. I have run in a bunch of half marathons and one full (which I hated because it was soooo boring) I am super excited about this!!! I will probably be the last one across the wire but that does not matter to me. Finishing this will be a huge victory for me. I have never gone in a Duathlon before. I have never been in a Tri over the sprint distance. I have already had people tell me I probably need *more training time* I disagree. Not everyone has time for 3-4 hour bike rides and unlimited time to go on longer runs. I am doing what I can with what I have. My hubs has surgery on his shoulder next week so that puts him out of training so I am going at this totally alone. Their are two other people I know that are going in the Half but they have total opposite times to work out then I do. I actually like training alone so I don't have to wait on people to show up. I do like riding my bike with someone though in case of emergencies. Anyways I knew this group would give me a fist pump and a few encouraging words. I had to pay last night by midnight or the price was shooting up. I am nervous but excited about this race!!

Todd~ Great job on your workouts! You seem to be rolling right along! Nice work on the 10:30 running pace! way to go!! Yes riding on a pair of Zipps was and is awesome! I will get to use them on my next two races as hubby recovers from his surgery!

Rod~ So glad to see you out and about with that ankle healing up! Sounds like you are cracking the whip and getting it done! Odd hours are very hard to deal with at work. I don't even want to think about what kind of hours are coming my way in a few months... odd meal times as well just really suck! Great job on taking charge and putting together some meal plans. You are on the right track to success!! Your trip to the US sounds fun and you will definitely see a ton of snow if you are going to Boston and New York. If you find yourself down on the North Carolina coast let me know! The bike store story had me laughing! I do a lot of online bike parts and accessory strictly online because the two bike stores here are run by the two same jerk brothers who think that we are STUPID. When I bought hubs a new pair of 808 Zipps for Xmas we took them to the bike shop to get some tires and the guy who was helping us had a crappy attitude because we didn't buy the wheels from him. I gathered up our things after he insulted us and we will never ever go back there again. I am glad you took your business ELSEWHERE!

Taringa~ Great video about the transitions!! This is one area I find that I am usually a bit worn out and moving fast is the last thing that crosses my mind! LOL I have the same issues with going straight while strapping on bike shoes... I no longer try to hop on LOL I just take a minute longer and that way I know I have all my gear! You sound like you have it nailed!! So it is now Sunday in OZ.... HOW WAS YOUR Sprint??? I bet you rocked it!

Cassowary~ You always make me laugh..... Love your sypnosis *We are just Turltes* no threat to anyone LOL

Tweets~ WOW great job on your 5k!!! 29:02!! Way to go!! I hope you had a lovely time visiting with your Grandparents! And yes you would LOVE the ZIPPS!! They are super smooth and super light and keep on rollin!

Beth~ Great to hear from you. I am so sorry you got in a wreck with a deer. I had that happen about 15 years ago and it is scary and those things will total your car! At least you are safe!

I worked out all week except yesterday..... The group I was going to run with all flaked out at the last minute because it was cold outside.... that's what I get for waiting and hoping people will show up.... I cant afford to do that anymore....not with this Duathlon coming up! I am taking a rest day today as my shins are hurting from running on Monday....I plan on swim and bike tomorrow morning. Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

Darcie

Congrats on your registration and up comind DU. You are right so many people tell you that you are not resdy or havd not done enough. How do they know my goal might not be your goal is whag i want to tell um. You already know where i stand, challenge yourself, push yourself, just dont hurt yourself, but you know that. You know that we are here for yoj!!!!!

2014-03-02 4:23 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks for the well wishes, I had a lot of fun at the race this morning.  Each outing I learn new stuff, realise different ways to do things. Tip for today was don't recycle old half-perished rubber bands to hold your bike shoes up but go and buy some fresh ones! All my bike mounting practice went out the window as I had a crisis of confidence, my shoes were upside down and in imminent danger of being flung off as they hit the ground, and I was more worried about wobbling off the bike or into someone's path and taking them out as well.

Looking forward to a nice long lie in bed tomorrow morning. Race report here:   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=511804

2014-03-02 4:28 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Beth, I'm glad to hear you're OK after the accident! We don't usually have deer problems here but kangaroos are just as lethal on the road. Shame the car's wrecked but at least you're not hurt.

Lovey, sounds like you've been working pretty hard! Doing the sessions back to back makes such a big difference, so much harder!

Darcie, congrats on entering the duathlon! That's a real challenge, I'm sure you'll make the distance, and we'll be cheering you on!

2014-03-02 4:42 PM

User image

I swam today for 80 minutes. I did a lot of drills and just tried mostly to RELAX to show myself yep I am not going to drown in the deep end of the pool and that it does not matter if I take a few side strokes, I am out there swimming and that's what counts. After swimming we went to Five Guys and got lunch then when we went home and changed over and got our bikes out and went on a 18.5 mile ride. It was beautiful and 70 degrees out... BUT as soon as we got down the airport road we had a horrible head and side wind and the ZIPP wheels are so touchy that you have to really pay attention when the wind is coming from the side or else your going down! The wind was with us almost the entire way and I was getting frusterated and also my heart rate was shooting up high. This will be my last bike ride till my first sprint of the season which is this Saturday!! 300 swim 10 mile bike and 5k run. My husband is going to give my bike the once over and I will just ride the stationary bike at the gym a few times for the rest of the week. I am suppose to swim and bike and then go to the track on Lejeune to do some running. It will be another 4 am wake up call which is going to come fast because I want to stay up tonight and watch the Oscars LOL I am excited about the sprint this weekend, but more excited about the Duathlon next month. I will be searching for tips for this Duathlon! Todd you got anything special I should do? I know you said you did a Half Iron and this is the same distance (plus the two miles at the start). I hope you all had a great weekend!

Taringa~

Way to go on your sprint! If I had your address I would send you a pack of rubber bands LOL I am GLAD you didn't get hurt and it seems you
didn't miss a beat! Way to go!!

2014-03-02 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I swam today for 80 minutes. I did a lot of drills and just tried mostly to RELAX to show myself yep I am not going to drown in the deep end of the pool and that it does not matter if I take a few side strokes, I am out there swimming and that's what counts. After swimming we went to Five Guys and got lunch then when we went home and changed over and got our bikes out and went on a 18.5 mile ride. It was beautiful and 70 degrees out... BUT as soon as we got down the airport road we had a horrible head and side wind and the ZIPP wheels are so touchy that you have to really pay attention when the wind is coming from the side or else your going down! The wind was with us almost the entire way and I was getting frusterated and also my heart rate was shooting up high. This will be my last bike ride till my first sprint of the season which is this Saturday!! 300 swim 10 mile bike and 5k run. My husband is going to give my bike the once over and I will just ride the stationary bike at the gym a few times for the rest of the week. I am suppose to swim and bike and then go to the track on Lejeune to do some running. It will be another 4 am wake up call which is going to come fast because I want to stay up tonight and watch the Oscars LOL I am excited about the sprint this weekend, but more excited about the Duathlon next month. I will be searching for tips for this Duathlon! Todd you got anything special I should do? I know you said you did a Half Iron and this is the same distance (plus the two miles at the start). I hope you all had a great weekend!

Taringa~

Way to go on your sprint! If I had your address I would send you a pack of rubber bands LOL I am GLAD you didn't get hurt and it seems you
didn't miss a beat! Way to go!!

No, I can't really say anything special. Like I have said before, you need to make sure to get in your long run and long ride each week. I would also suggest that you get in at least one 50ish mile ride before that day. The reason is two fold, 1. you need to know what it feels like and will take for you to ride 56 and 2. you need to work on your food / drink intake on a long ride as well. (I can tell you that for me I had it down to 1 20 ounce bottle of water with Ironman Perform powder + 100 calories of food per hour on the bike, which worked out to 3 bottles becuase I usually do 56 in just under 3 hours) I'm not saying that you have to do 3 or 4 50+ mile rides between now and then but you need to make sure of the distance and make sure that you are active each week between now and then. For an example, I have my Half Ironman on April 7. In the next five weeks leading up to the race, I will have long runs of 6, 7, 8, 8, 7 and rides of 45, 40, 56, 56, 40. There may be a little plus or minus on these but it gives you a ballpark of my long runs and rides for the upcoming weeks.
2014-03-02 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the well wishes, I had a lot of fun at the race this morning.  Each outing I learn new stuff, realise different ways to do things. Tip for today was don't recycle old half-perished rubber bands to hold your bike shoes up but go and buy some fresh ones! All my bike mounting practice went out the window as I had a crisis of confidence, my shoes were upside down and in imminent danger of being flung off as they hit the ground, and I was more worried about wobbling off the bike or into someone's path and taking them out as well.

Looking forward to a nice long lie in bed tomorrow morning. Race report here:   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=511804

Congrats on the finish and continued learning curve. I can tell you that I don't mess with rubber bands or shoes pre clipped in. I put on both socks and shoes in under a minute and am gone. Usually I go past people who have slowed to try and get their feet in and strapped to shoes that are already clipped in. For me it's not a big enough time saver to mess with and worry about it falling off, me weaving into someone, or worse yet wrecking in front of a group of people. Don't get me wrong I know it can save time done perfectly but I've never missed a podium by a minute or less so I'm not going to stress over it.
2014-03-02 8:24 PM

User image

Hey Taringa

Great effort at Bribie over the weekend. Enjoyed reading your report and hope you pulled up ok. I noticed you trained almost right up to the event. Were you tempted to rest up at all?

The dicussions around rubber bands is very topical after completing my first ever transition training. I prefer to ride clipless but don't like running in cleats. I'll have to experiment to find my preference as everybody seems to have their own technique.

Rod
2014-03-02 8:29 PM

User image

Darcie

Good Luck this weekend in your Sprint. I reckon you'll nail the swim. If you're swimming for 80 minutes in the pool you've got the swim covered no matter the depth.

Duathlon will be a great challenge. Look forward to reading about your preperation and completion of the race.

Rod
2014-03-02 8:38 PM

User image

Subject: RE: NEW CHALLENGE
Completed the Challenge yesterday.

Transition training was a first and there is definitely an opportunity to make up some time.

Signed up as a Bronze member during the week and today I start the 20 week Olympic - 2 x Balanced training plan.

Must admit I was feeling pretty flat after working night shift as my body clock didn't adjust. Read about everybody's efforts and achievements and got motivated to train again.

Who's coming up with the next challenge?

Rod

2014-03-03 3:55 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I have a suggestion for a  new challenge if everyone's keen:  10% increase. Check your last week's training log, nominate the discipline (or disciplines, you can do 1,2, or 3, or even 4 if you want to include something else) and increase it (time or distance) by 10% for this week. Anyone in?

2014-03-03 4:09 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I've got a 10km run coming up in a few weeks, and I also have a real deficit on the bike so I'm going to nominate both:

Ran last week 9.3km goal this week 10.2km

Bike last week 39.69 goal this week 43.66km. This will be tough, and might have to be a combination of my bike on the road and the stationary bike at the gym, my indoor trainer is at the bike shop being fixed. 

Bring it on! 

2014-03-03 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a suggestion for a  new challenge if everyone's keen:  10% increase. Check your last week's training log, nominate the discipline (or disciplines, you can do 1,2, or 3, or even 4 if you want to include something else) and increase it (time or distance) by 10% for this week. Anyone in?

I am in for this one, but I will have to make some adjustments because I got to do very little last week, due to a lot of rain and work. So I will try to work more off of my week before.
2014-03-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Subject: Being unstoppable
For 2 months I have not been able to fulfill my weekly plan. Long work days(14-15 hours including commute), disappointment in my progress(swimming frustration and leg injury that prevented running) as well as whatever other viable excuse came up would typically have had me stop.

Last week, nothing changed in my life except for me. Same situation, same obstacles. However, I did what I had planned. In the shower, after biking yesterday, I couldn't stop grinning and whooping out loud and it feels great! Not only that, but I felt less fatigued doing more. The mental aspect is a weight on me when I don't live up to my word.

Something I've noticed about myself(which is a no brainier when I think about it), when things go as I want or have a breakthrough, I will share with friends and post. When I'm having trouble I clam up. Next roadblock I hit, I will be posting and talking about it and see where I get to that way.

I'm looking forward to the 10% increase challenge this week.

Congrats on the race Taringa
2014-03-03 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

I am in. We are currently stuck inside for yet another snowstorm. Schools closed on Sunday!

2014-03-03 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: WETSUIT & SPIN HEART RATE
Hi, I have two questions:

WETSUIT: My wetsuit legal pool is around 79 degrees. My swim coach will be doing some open water practices at the park in a couple of months.. Last year I think only 1 of the 3 planned practices were held due to weather, timing, schedule, etc. Since I am actually signed up for a triathlon with a lake swim, I NEED to practice. My August race is not wetsuit legal but that's ok. I want to practice whenever I can.
A local racing company has open water practice swims at least once a month starting April through August for $10 each. I am interested in doing one on May 31st when the water temp is usually between 65 and 72 degrees according to the website around early May.
Options are 750m, 1500m or 2250m. I am planning to do the 750m but if my swimming is coming along, I may do the 1500m.
Would you do a sleeveless or full sleeve wetsuit?

http://www.racinemultisports.com/Swim_Fest_Fort_Ritchie.html

SPIN HEART RATE: On a long slow run, my heart rate is usually around 135-145, which is in my 70-80% heart rate zone. Higher during a race.
On a spin bike, no matter how hard I push, my heart rate barely goes above 126. What am I doing wrong?
Even when my legs are burning and I am breathing hard, my heart rate stills stays steady between a 120-126. I am no where near that efficient.
2014-03-03 6:55 PM

User image

Count me in for the new challenge.

I'm focussing on time spent training at the moment in order to build up my endurance. I'll aim for 10% increase in time training.
2014-03-03 7:00 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: WETSUIT & SPIN HEART RATE

That heart rate thing seems odd. I guess the first question is how are you measuring it? From the heart rate monitor strap to the watch, or through the bike's systems? The next thing is to stop and manually take your pulse to check it's reading correctly. Different environments also can affect the reading, I found in winter I have to put ultrasound gel on the transmitter strap as otherwise it gets too dry to take a proper reading. If it's reading correctly and your pulse doesn't increase above 126, well, I'm stumped. Cycling does give you a lower HR than running, but that's extreme!

2014-03-03 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: WETSUIT & SPIN HEART RATE

That heart rate thing seems odd. I guess the first question is how are you measuring it? From the heart rate monitor strap to the watch, or through the bike's systems? The next thing is to stop and manually take your pulse to check it's reading correctly. Different environments also can affect the reading, I found in winter I have to put ultrasound gel on the transmitter strap as otherwise it gets too dry to take a proper reading. If it's reading correctly and your pulse doesn't increase above 126, well, I'm stumped. Cycling does give you a lower HR than running, but that's extreme!

I run outside even in the winter as long as there is no ice. I use a Garmin 310xt watch with HRM. At the gym, I use it too or the machine. The spin class bike reads my HRM strap and my watch tracks it too. I put it on just as I would running. Maybe I need to shift it since I am bent over more in spin class?
Twice I rode the spin bike in the women's gym (not in spin class). Each time my HR max was 135 and average 120 using the bike sensors only.

I have spin class tomorrow night, I am going to play around with the strap and watch to see what I get. I am also going to manually take my pulse.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.