General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-03-09 11:57 AM
in reply to: TRI - AJ

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
I owe you all a HUGE apology for falling off the face of the earth. I am so glad you all have continued to carry on and have been reading your posts. I realize now that I have been feeling completely overwhelmed by life and trying to get all the pieces to fit. I am still adjusting to my new job and working 3 days a week outside of the house and dealing with some latent mother's guilt in not being home in the afternoons on the days I work for my boys when they get home for school. Yes, they are old enough and pretty sure they don't mind but it has been bugging me. Add to that trying to figure out how to do everything else that needs to be done and it seems that my training and replying to threads on this group kept getting pushed further and further down the list. Anyway, I did want to apologize for not being active on the group and promise to try to post more frequently. Just know that I am definitely here I spirit reading all the posts and following along! Now, just to fight off the bug that mike so lovingly shared with me so that I can get down to some serious training!

2014-03-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Yardville, NJ
So I'm now in 2-a-days....

Bike
35m ----- -----
WU: 15'
MS: 3’ at 100 RPM. 2’ at 110 RPM. 1 ‘at 120 RPM or highest sustainable RPM.
CD: 15'

Run
1h 05m ----- -----
Run Base
Endurance
25' Z1, 25' Z2, 15' Z3

Got my bike computer working... Biked 8.4 miles in 35 minutes with the high cadence drill. Dang it's tough to hit 120. I feel like my legs are going to fly off!

Treadmill run for 65 minutes. Ran 5.64 miles.

Talk about working up an appetite!
2014-03-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Originally posted by Mfechter67

So I'm now in 2-a-days....

Bike
35m ----- -----
WU: 15'
MS: 3’ at 100 RPM. 2’ at 110 RPM. 1 ‘at 120 RPM or highest sustainable RPM.
CD: 15'

Run
1h 05m ----- -----
Run Base
Endurance
25' Z1, 25' Z2, 15' Z3

Got my bike computer working... Biked 8.4 miles in 35 minutes with the high cadence drill. Dang it's tough to hit 120. I feel like my legs are going to fly off!

Treadmill run for 65 minutes. Ran 5.64 miles.

Talk about working up an appetite!

Noobie alert:
What is MS mean in your bike?

What is z1 z2 and z3?
Pacing?
2014-03-09 8:10 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Late but quote of the day: There are no traffic jams along the extra mile. –Roger Staubach

Ok great stuff everyone, some real strides being made these last couple weeks! Swam a 1500 tonight felt good can't wait to get back into a full routine and can't wait t get outside!!!!

Clarkey to answer your questions: MS = main set, Z1, Z2.... Heart rate zones check out this link, it will give answer all newbie acronym question

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Mike how did the new bike feel? What are you running for CPU on it?
2014-03-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
New bike feels great! I'm still on the trainer, can't wait to get outside.

I'm using a. Cateye Strada double wireless. Bought it from a friend that switched over to the Garmin. Took some tweeting and switched both batteries but I got it going today.

Tomorrow up at 5 to swim. Plan calls for a total of 2500. Mix of drills and swim.
2014-03-09 8:40 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
What gear ratio you running on that beast?

I just switched out my 11/21 for 12/25 on the tri bike and am looking for a compact crack setup but am also considering oblong gears up front.

2014-03-09 8:57 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
It's got the 11/25. It's still new and I'm getting used to it, but with the different geometry it doesn't seem like I'm mashing the pedals as much. Legs don't hurt like they used to.
2014-03-09 9:13 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
What are oblong gears? Not familiar with them
2014-03-09 9:23 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
2014-03-10 7:43 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Morning all, inspiration for the day!

The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
2014-03-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Need to apologize for the lack of posting here last week... unfortunately, there wasn't much to post. I managed a grand total of 11.8 miles on the bike (Saturday), 2 laps in the pool (Saturday), and 1.4mi on foot (last Sun evening). I never even pulled out the bowflex or the fan bike.

We got 6" of sleet that turned to solid ice. My dumb butt decided to tool around on Monday on my Mt Bike... Everything was going swimmingly in the yard and sidewalk, so... I decided to go check the main roads to see how they were... I went out in the street, found some polished ice, then found the pavement with my right hip and shoulder. I'm still feeling it around my right kidney area.

I somehow managed to not gain last week, so I'm still at 259. I decided to kick it into high gear this week. Yesterday, my workout was a 2K walk... I walked 5.5K. My swim this morning, I set my overall best swim time/distance by going 450yds (9x50, still sucking wind in between) in about 27 minutes. Basically I jumped in the pool @ 0635 and had to clean up at 0702. Strength training tonight.

Also had a new development. A ride leader for the Memphis Hightailers (local biking group), who happens to be my tri mentor, is starting a group ride in Marion, AR on Thursdays. It's only 11.5mi for now, but I can still get my mileage on Sat/Sun mornings. We're riding the planned course to check for any issues this Thurs, and the rides begin next Thurs. That means, my Thurs walk/runs will end up being in the morning... That means I don't have to get up so early on those days (bonus!)

Rick

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-03-10 8:10 AM

2014-03-10 9:03 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

No posting for the last 10 days as I was visiting family on a much needed vacation.  I didn't do any "training"  just a lot of walking.

Started back with a 1.5 mile treadmill walk before having to quit for issues you don't want to read about.

Back to 12 hour days at work, plus my art and music .

2014-03-10 9:31 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Yardville, NJ
Trust me, I won't post every workout from my training plan, but occasionally there is a workout that you enjoy. Today's swim was one of them. One of the other nice things about this workout is I think you could very easily tailor it to meet your skill level.

2500 yds - 60 minutes
WU (warm up): 300 swim/100 drill
MS (main set): 5x (300 swim at T-pace, 100 drill, so 400 total)
CD (cool down): 100 ez

You can do whatever drills you want to keep it fresh and meet your development and needs. I did WU-Kick board, set 1 - catch with paddles, set 2 - catchup with kick board, set 3 - kick board, set 4 - fist drill, set 5 pull

again, feel free to tailor to your needs, cut it in half, mix up the drills, etc...
2014-03-10 9:33 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Need to apologize for the lack of posting here last week... unfortunately, there wasn't much to post. I managed a grand total of 11.8 miles on the bike (Saturday), 2 laps in the pool (Saturday), and 1.4mi on foot (last Sun evening). I never even pulled out the bowflex or the fan bike.

We got 6" of sleet that turned to solid ice. My dumb butt decided to tool around on Monday on my Mt Bike... Everything was going swimmingly in the yard and sidewalk, so... I decided to go check the main roads to see how they were... I went out in the street, found some polished ice, then found the pavement with my right hip and shoulder. I'm still feeling it around my right kidney area.

I somehow managed to not gain last week, so I'm still at 259. I decided to kick it into high gear this week. Yesterday, my workout was a 2K walk... I walked 5.5K. My swim this morning, I set my overall best swim time/distance by going 450yds (9x50, still sucking wind in between) in about 27 minutes. Basically I jumped in the pool @ 0635 and had to clean up at 0702. Strength training tonight.

Also had a new development. A ride leader for the Memphis Hightailers (local biking group), who happens to be my tri mentor, is starting a group ride in Marion, AR on Thursdays. It's only 11.5mi for now, but I can still get my mileage on Sat/Sun mornings. We're riding the planned course to check for any issues this Thurs, and the rides begin next Thurs. That means, my Thurs walk/runs will end up being in the morning... That means I don't have to get up so early on those days (bonus!)

Rick

No apologies needed. sorry to hear about the spill on the bike. I did that a few years back and bruised ribs, etc. It took weeks to feel better. i hope your recovery is faster!

good work on the workouts and keeping the weight off!

The group ride sounds like fun! Enjoy
2014-03-10 9:36 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Fechter99

I owe you all a HUGE apology for falling off the face of the earth. I am so glad you all have continued to carry on and have been reading your posts. I realize now that I have been feeling completely overwhelmed by life and trying to get all the pieces to fit. I am still adjusting to my new job and working 3 days a week outside of the house and dealing with some latent mother's guilt in not being home in the afternoons on the days I work for my boys when they get home for school. Yes, they are old enough and pretty sure they don't mind but it has been bugging me. Add to that trying to figure out how to do everything else that needs to be done and it seems that my training and replying to threads on this group kept getting pushed further and further down the list. Anyway, I did want to apologize for not being active on the group and promise to try to post more frequently. Just know that I am definitely here I spirit reading all the posts and following along! Now, just to fight off the bug that mike so lovingly shared with me so that I can get down to some serious training!

Another apology! HA! No apologies needed here. We're all here to support eachother and no one should ever feel stressed or obligated. Read, lurk, mingle, post... do whatever feels right at the time. We do not judge anyone, we just support eachother!

sorry about sharing the bug! Although i think i sweat it out this weekend. Feel better soon! Love ya! (PS - She's the only one i can get away with saying that to here)
2014-03-10 9:37 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by flip18436572

No posting for the last 10 days as I was visiting family on a much needed vacation.  I didn't do any "training"  just a lot of walking.

Started back with a 1.5 mile treadmill walk before having to quit for issues you don't want to read about.

Back to 12 hour days at work, plus my art and music .

Welcome back! How was vacation? Maybe I can live vicariosly through yours. No vacay planned for me until July and man do I need one bad!

Way to get right back at the training!

2014-03-10 9:46 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

http://www.osymetricusa.com

Wow, that's interesteing. I have to admit, I'm not the engineer in the group so I don't really understand why it works but a 10% increase in power is nothin to sneeze at. It does look strange spinning so you might even get the benefit of passing people and they get mesmerizied by your chain ring!
2014-03-10 9:47 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut

Originally posted by Fechter99

Another apology! HA! No apologies needed here. We're all here to support eachother and no one should ever feel stressed or obligated. Read, lurk, mingle, post... do whatever feels right at the time. We do not judge anyone, we just support eachother!

sorry about sharing the bug! Although i think i sweat it out this weekend. Feel better soon! Love ya! (PS - She's the only one i can get away with saying that to here)

WHAT!?!?! I would like hand written apologize from everyone that has missed more than.... lets say 4 days without posting. Please use a nice stationary, and ohhh it would be cool if you used one of those cool wax stamp things to seal it, real classy like an all.

What the heck Mike, share the love with everyone! Sheesh just loving your wife, thats unfair, we all have feelings too!!!

Ok enough foolishness, Poll question for the group:

Who belongs to a tri team and if you do how active are you and what do you do with them?
2014-03-10 9:51 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut

Wow, that's interesteing. I have to admit, I'm not the engineer in the group so I don't really understand why it works but a 10% increase in power is nothin to sneeze at. It does look strange spinning so you might even get the benefit of passing people and they get mesmerizied by your chain ring!

Yeah they aren't big money to try, and the science behind them is interesting. They do not sponsor anyone, yet many pros choose to ride with them by choice, including Kona winners. The shape eliminates that dead spot you feel when you transition from the up pull to the down stroke. It almost creates a power hump in your peddle stroke and that is where the increase in power comes from because you are retaining your contact points through the whole peddle stoke.
2014-03-10 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Looks like I had 2 spring races and now lost them both. my girl wanted to do a half marathon but since it turns out the half does not go into the state park at all she decided against it. I do not blame her for that one. My other half marathon I signed up for turns out its the same weekend as her anime convention. It is a lot of fun and something I do to keep her happy. I get to do way more what I want to do than she does.
2014-03-10 12:02 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee

Looks interesting... Also could be a boon to a masher like myself

Who belongs to a tri team and if you do how active are you and what do you do with them?

I belong to the Methodist/Le Bonheur Tri team in Memphis. They sent out an announcement to employees about forming the team late last year. Since I had already planned on the sprint in May, and I qualify since I'm an employee spouse, I figured why not? So far we haven't done anything other than meet, but things are getting ready to ramp up with the weather warming.

Originally posted by chirunner134

Looks like I had 2 spring races and now lost them both. my girl wanted to do a half marathon but since it turns out the half does not go into the state park at all she decided against it. I do not blame her for that one. My other half marathon I signed up for turns out its the same weekend as her anime convention. It is a lot of fun and something I do to keep her happy. I get to do way more what I want to do than she does.

I feel your pain. due to scheduling conflicts all 3 events I had planned are now in May: 3 (run),17 (tri), 31 (bike). Depending on how I feel after the tri, I may run 1-2 more sprints this year if paychecks allow.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-03-10 12:22 PM

2014-03-10 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Mike and I are part of Team Ryan's Quest which is a local group formed to help raise awareness and money to find a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Ryan is a local boy who was diagnosed at 3 with DMD. There are 70+ members of the team that do some form of endurance sports whether it is triathlons or various distance running races. We do have training sessions once the weather gets nicer but that is mostly just meeting up at the local park and starting at the same time. I usually end up out there on my own since most everyone is faster than me but it is nice to see them as they go zooming past me. It's all good since that is usually my experience at races too so I might as well train the way I race, right? ;-) Mike does better to keep up with them.

Rolled my tired self out of bed this morning at o'dark thirty and put in a good 60 minute swim at the pool. I guess it is a good thing that I did not know how easily it would have been to talk Mike out of getting up this morning. My workout was different than Mike's and combined drills, endurance and speed all in one workout . Not really sure I like all three in one. I might have to tweak my workout plan to do drills one day, speed work another and endurance the third.

2014-03-10 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4916495

I wish I would have had a little more motivation and a lot more sleep this morning. Just wasn't able to drag myself out of bed at 4:30 to go for a run. I got to the pool at lunch today, but it really wasn't a solid swim.

I've been thinking about joining a triathlon group here in town. It looks fairly well organized and they do a lot of group activities including a weekly ride. I'm a little worried about getting dropped every ride, but hopefully by the end of the season I'll be able to finish before everybody has already finished their beers and gone home.
2014-03-10 10:47 PM

User image

Hey all,

Looks like everyone is working. sorry about your fall on the Mtn Bike rick! Hope you recover quickly.

Diablo, thanks for the link!

I had a GREAT run Saturday,
Then I ate everything Saturday night and into Sunday!
Im back on plan today and will stay that way till race day.

I took Sunday off - another off day. I was planning on gyming it Sunday night, but couldn't get there due to timing challenges (gym closes early on Sunday)....

today I headed to the gym, I only brought my bathing suit, cap and goggles (and gym lock).
Only to be greeted by a sign, Pool closed - due to biological cleaning.
Apparently a kid pooped in the pool!

Damn, No sneakers or gym clothes.
Headed home, changed and decided on getting a run in.
Ran a little under 3 miles at 12 min miles.

Edited by Clarkey77 2014-03-10 11:05 PM
2014-03-11 6:56 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Slept in this morning while mike got up to go to the gym, not feeling even the tiniest bit guilty though, ;-). Plan to get on the trainer tonight after work and will likely feel guilt if I don't. Have a great day everyone!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28759 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 101659 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16675 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30905 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?