BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-08-09 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3031255

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

FWIW........

I have taken to amusing myself by trying to find the best "over-the-counter" recovery drink that can be readily purchased at your basic convenience store.

Stewart's Shops is ubiquitous in New York state, and what I found this past weekend was their own branded Vanilla Dairy Shake. Here is what it offers in a small 16 Fl Oz (473mL) bottle:
Total Carbs -- 98g
Protein -- 22g
Sodium -- 320mg
and also
Calories -- 680
Cholesterol -- 90mg
Sat Fat -- 14g
Sugars -- 96g

Is that a whopping formulation, or what? I know some of the "bad guys" are quite high, but you often have to give a little to get a little, and driving home from the races on Saturday when I was still feeling depleted, I'm sure it was just what I needed.

As for taste -- pretty good! Think McDonald's vanilla milk shake, and you're close. (Incidentally, i have heard that the McD v.m.s. is a great carb/protein combo itself.)

2010-08-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3031277

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Come hell or high water, I will be at HVJ. If for some awful reason I couldn't race it, I would show up just to meet you and watch you race. But it is fully in my plans to do the half-iron, and I think after the oly and sprint on Saturday, I am in great shape for it; I just need my body to behave for the next 20 days!

With this in mind, I am considering bagging West Point this coming Sunday. That was DEFINITELY my thinking as I was driving home on Saturday and for much of yesterday.....but then my other brain started kicking in and I remembered that once upon a time West Point loomed as a real highlight of the season. I fI had to commit to a plan now, it would be to do the drive and do the race. But things change, so stay tuned!

That's what happens when race plans get cobbled together as the season unfolds. I just didn't know back when I signed up for W.P. that I would start the season with as many sprintish things as I did, or that I would have Half Vermont on the schedule. So now I have just done a dynamite oly which mentally, at least, sets me up well for Half vermont.....and I followed that with a strong sprint a few hours later......and now I wonder what all is to be gained by romping through another sprint next weekend. It certainly raises the odds of injuring myself, although in all fairness i can do that just about anytime!

If I don't do W.P., I save myself another long drive, plus about $150 in related costs. The race itself was $80/85, I think, so eating that isn't a killer -- not like spending that additional $150!! Decisions, decisions!

ANYHOW, I will be at the HVJ!!

2010-08-09 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3031320

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

Are you getting back into the swing of training, or still coming down off of the extended canoe trip? My sorenesses from Saturday's exertions seem to be abating and I may have avoiding semi-serious DOMS, but I am not very motivated to do a whole lot today!

I will put all this in my race reports, but I look back at saturday and I really think I was bordering on depletion after the races were done. It would be helpful to try to remember everything I ingested during the day -- pre-oly, between oly and sprint, post-sprint, and also my specific race nutrition. In a way, I'm still feeling depleted, I guess.

Hematuria signs went away by late Saturday night....although my next run will let me know if it will be persistant this time. i'm thinking not, and hoping not, but.......
I've been told I shouldn't worry about it too much, but nevertheless it is VERY disconcerting!! (Takes all of the fun out of peeing! )

2010-08-09 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3031341

User image

Champion

ANNE once more -

VERY happy to have not done Lake Dunmore on Sunday! Granted, I am no closer to knowing how the Rutland motel option will work for HVJ, or being re-familiarized with the course, but my body (and probably head) would've had a tough time dealing with Lake Dunmore Tri. So, I think it all trurned out well, doing just the Double FTT. (DENISE was right -- two triathlons in a weekend is more than enough!)

One of the people in my other group is thinking about signing up for HVJ. That would be Jess, and as of last week she hadn't registered, but was leaning towards it. And I was hoping that John and Dot Martin from Montpelier, VT, would also do it, but they did Lake Dunmore and are saving themselves for Pumpkinman half iron on Sept 12. I should probably write to RD and ask how many are registered for the half-iron and the aquabike, just to ease my curious mind.

Blah, blah, blah!

2010-08-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3031362

User image

Champion

TRACEY!

Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!!

2010-08-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3031341

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 9:38 AM ANNE again - Are you getting back into the swing of training, or still coming down off of the extended canoe trip? My sorenesses from Saturday's exertions seem to be abating and I may have avoiding semi-serious DOMS, but I am not very motivated to do a whole lot today! I will put all this in my race reports, but I look back at saturday and I really think I was bordering on depletion after the races were done. It would be helpful to try to remember everything I ingested during the day -- pre-oly, between oly and sprint, post-sprint, and also my specific race nutrition. In a way, I'm still feeling depleted, I guess. Hematuria signs went away by late Saturday night....although my next run will let me know if it will be persistant this time. i'm thinking not, and hoping not, but....... I've been told I shouldn't worry about it too much, but nevertheless it is VERY disconcerting!! (Takes all of the fun out of peeing! )

CONGRATULATIONS ON 2 more GREAT performances.   Your physical stamina is just so impressive.    I understand what you are saying about West Point.   I remember you telling me about it earlier in the season and have it book marked for some time in the future.  

Mentally, I was back in the swings of things yesterday!      BUT, the trip, especially the last day of paddling out of the park and the long drive home took far more out of us than we anticipated.  

Plans were to be on the bike this morning at 7:00 a.m. for a 90km ride (trying to beat the bad weather).   We were still in bed at 8:30!   Guess we really needed that 11 hr sleep.    Forecast has improved a bit.   Bad stuff delayed till around 2:00ish, so we are heading out in about 1/2 hour and will go as long as our bodies and the weather let us.   I'll be OK riding in the rain; not keen on thunderstorms.   Picked a route that is rolling hills today and will keep the real hills and hard stuff for a couple of shorter rides later this week.

I read you post where you talk about Triathlete magazine, I think it was, saying it is a good idea to take a couple of weeks of mid season.   Makes me feel better about our decision.   Even though I haven't had a hard one this year, in past seasons it really has made a difference in keeping us 'fresh' for more triathlons.    Harry used to give me the gears about taking the break - are you a triathlete or not? - but both Ken and I have found that our biking is much stronger after returning.    I can feel the difference in strength in my legs from this trip.    Hope it helps.

Better get going, if I am to get out of the bike.   Back later,

2010-08-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3031377

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Now THAT'S getting back in the saddle -- 0 to 90km just like that! I hope the nasties hold off for you....and I guess I'd better check the weather here. I was hoping to do a leisurely 40-45 minute swim in the Rideau, but I think t-storms are in the offing in Ottawa. Urp. I was just fixing to do the race reports, but maybe I'd better high-tail it into Ottawa!

2010-08-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3029691

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-08-07 11:10 PM MANDY - Yeah, yeah, I know I still owe you a full explanation of my comment about your IM mentality, and it's coming. But until then, as an insight into a kindred soul of yours (I believe), go to my other mentor group, and go to page 220, and look at the third post, which is called something like "The Steve Becker Story". This is from MightyMan Montauk last October. (Steve also did the FTT Double TRI today, and performed awesomely.) Let me know what you think about it!

Sorry for the slow reply, my weeks have been so full I can barely fit in breathing lately it seems.

I read that story about Steve Becker. Holy crap, he still finished in under 6hrs with all of those troubles! That is awesome.  I can't believe his tube flew off like that!!  And then to have your cleats wear down on you and walk the bike. Holy cow.  Would love to meet that guy.

Congrats on your great races, and hello to everyone out there!! I am still here just stupid busy.

13 days until Timberman. I am a little freaked out.  Did a 13 mile run on Saturday though, and am pain free on the run now. Yeah.  I had a major failure on the bike yesterday, sucky. I think I had food poisoning and my 50 miler turned into a 16 mile pukefest (sorry) and then back to bed.  BUT I did get 81 miles in last sunday...

Tapering is happening starting this week. Today off, but I am doing some yoga.  Mostly I am thinking about the swim part of the race, it is where I have the least amount of confidence.  I know I can finish it, but I just hope it doesn't take me more than 40 minutes...

ANYWHO. Back to work for me.  Hope you are all doing awesome. Saw a  note from Kasia, glad she is back!!
2010-08-09 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3032486

User image

Champion

Geeky enough for you?!?

Here I sit, wearing compression calf sleeves and my just-purchased Rudy project aero helmet. I'm almost too geeky for myself, let alone for the general population. Yikes.

I bought the helmet on sale (10% off), but it was still expensive. Some sources say they are as time-saving as a pair of good race wheels, so I decided to pick it up and see what I think. It is remarkably light, which of course is good, but i'm not sure if it can be comfortable on my ears for X hours. (It has ear flaps/covers, and maybe because my face is long and my ears are not exactly small, the bottom of the flaps slightly press against the bottom of my ears. Have to monitor this in the comfort of home, I guess!)

And then, it has to pass Lynn's approval, when she returns from Newfounland. Gulp. Her return could well signal the return of the helmet, methinks!

Until then I remain,
Your Favorite Tri Geek

2010-08-09 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3032948

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 5:20 PM Geeky enough for you?!? Here I sit, wearing compression calf sleeves and my just-purchased Rudy project aero helmet. I'm almost too geeky for myself, let alone for the general population. Yikes. I bought the helmet on sale (10% off), but it was still expensive. Some sources say they are as time-saving as a pair of good race wheels, so I decided to pick it up and see what I think. It is remarkably light, which of course is good, but i'm not sure if it can be comfortable on my ears for X hours. (It has ear flaps/covers, and maybe because my face is long and my ears are not exactly small, the bottom of the flaps slightly press against the bottom of my ears. Have to monitor this in the comfort of home, I guess!) And then, it has to pass Lynn's approval, when she returns from Newfounland. Gulp. Her return could well signal the return of the helmet, methinks! Until then I remain, Your Favorite Tri Geek

That's FUNNY!!!!    Being a girl, I can tell you, I am not really keen on those helmets, but based on your findings, I may be changing my tune.  

2010-08-09 4:58 PM

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Steve Becker was at Fronhofer, also doing the double, and he is a true character. I learned this time around that he never wears a watch when he races --- he just races. And he races really well. At 42 (I think) he can easily pull off sub-40 10km runs, and his cycling is superb (he did the oly bike at 22.5mph, and the run in 38:36).

It was remarkable watching him run the bike at Mightyman. At about mile 26 there is an out-and-back, and heading to the out he was coming out of the back part, running his bike. Then there is the turnaround at 28 miles, and coming around after that I'm climbing the hill at about mile 29....and there he was again, still running the bike! Afterwards, he was as loosey-goosey as you could imagine, saying that "Oh, well, it was just an expensive trianing day......AND I got in some extra running!" He is one cool cat, to be sure!

Two outs right now, bottom of the 9th, Sox ahead of the Skanks 2-1, Jeter on 2nd. Paplebon pitching to Texiera. Eek.

Great run, Mandy, and also a great bike after the not-so-great bike!! I'd say you're just about set on those two fronts, with a nice hopefully-smooth taper to propel (or ease) you into Timberman.

PAPELBON STRUCK OUT TEXIERA!!!!! SON WIN!!!!!!

May I give you one piece of cautious thought? Don't get your hopes too high for doing the swim in under 40 minutes. I have done about 15 half-irons, and only once (maybe twice) did I do the swim in sub-40. Interestingly, that was at T-man '04. In all honesty, I consider it a good swim (and maybe a short swim....) when I can go sub-40.......so I obviously haven't experienced that particular pleasure too often. My goal is always sub-40, so in a way it is setting myself up for "failure", or at least some small amount of disappointment. Going into half Vermont I will be thinking the same way, but at the same time bracing myself for a time that exceeds 40 minutes.

I went back through some of the '09 T-man results, which unfortunately aren't age-grouped. So, it was scrolling along looking for the x/126 that represented W35-39. There were a lot of the women who were comfortably in the 30s, but past the top 40% or so is where more of the 40+ swims happened.

You may very well knock off the Timberman swim in sub-40 --- you're tough enough and determined enough! I am definitely NOT trying to discourage you, but merely bringing my own half-iron swim expereinces into play here. What I do know, though, is that you will finish the swim feeling quite good physically, and that you'll be ready to hit that bike course as if you've been shot from a cannon. KA-BOOM!!!

2010-08-09 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3031808

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 11:31 AM ANNE - Now THAT'S getting back in the saddle -- 0 to 90km just like that! I hope the nasties hold off for you....and I guess I'd better check the weather here. I was hoping to do a leisurely 40-45 minute swim in the Rideau, but I think t-storms are in the offing in Ottawa. Urp. I was just fixing to do the race reports, but maybe I'd better high-tail it into Ottawa!

Well, didn't go 0 to 90, but did manage 0 to 72km.    

Goal was to get an EASY 90 km in before rain/thunder.  But willing to get what we can. Picked a route that is more rolling hills today; keeping the hills and hard stuff for the shorter rides later this week.  Turns out the route was a bit more challenging than I remembered, but OK.  

Two things - route was shorter than I thought which was disappointing; could have doubled back on part of the route to get the 90km in, but weather was threatening and lucky for us we stuck to the 72km because we weren't in the door 10 minutes before the DOWNPOUR started. Cannot believe how lucky we are. It was spitting on us for probably the last 25km.

2nd thing - route was not as flat as I thought.  More hills than I had remembered but nothing steep.

Accomplished my goals for this ride.

1st goal - negative split...
Average speed at 10km (w/u) was 22. with avg HR 115 for that distance.
Average speed at 36 km was 23.2 with avg HR of 118, for the 26km distance.
Average speed at 62km was 24.5 (didn't stop HR monitor to get avg);
And finishing with average speed of 25.47 at 72 km with avg HR of 130, for the 36km distance

2nd goal - get HR into endurance training zone (128-134)...
On the whole ride it was too low (122), but the last half of ride of 36km I got it where I wanted it.   RPE on the entire ride felt great - easy Z2 for sure.

Energy level was good on the entire ride.   Total nutrition was 590 calories (maybe high but I don't think so); 144 g carbs and 5 g protein.   Used coconut water, 1 gel, 4 Fig Newtons and a pack of Power Bar, Gel Blasts.   I'm actually using pure figs now, but ran out and only had the Newtons.  

As soon as I got on the bike I could feel how much stronger my hips were after the last 10 days.   Carrying 35 pounds on your back for 14km seems to have helped.    I'm positive it has helped my knee instability as well.  

I had a little episode right off the bat after canoeing about 45 minutes with my legs stretched out and sort of in an open position, like your legs can sometimes go when driving a car.   As soon as I stepped out onto the ground I could tell my knee was out of alignment and ended up portaging 5km with it that way.   It was quite painful.   Thought the trip was screwed for sure.   Once we got to our site I got on the tarp and did the yoga 'fixed firm' posture that is meant to realign knees (and it really does); after doing that twice my knee was fine and did this 4 or 5 times more during the remainder of the day.   Made sure that when I canoed after that, I kept my knees together with a sponge in between and legs sort of 90* and didn't have a problem after that.   Hiking over the rocky, rooty portages with the weight on my back really strengthed my quads and hams as well.   I wore my hiking boots.  

Time to go make supper.    Back later.   Have more than a few posts to respond to.  

2010-08-09 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3033012

User image

Champion

ANNE -

And did the ride go well? I did my swim, with no threatening atmospherics at all. It was quite pleasant, and I guess tomorrow will be the time for a ride and a run.

I wil try to summarize whatever tentative numbers I have on aero helmets -- but first I ave to find them.

I can tell you, however, that after wearing the thing for an hour, my ears are thrilled that it's off my head.

2010-08-09 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3031255

User image

Champion

DENISE -

As a final note to my series of whines and rants and agitations to you last night, I am pleased to say that order has been restored to the Results Universe -- all results for the FTT oly make sense to me now, and I am back where I should be -- 27:13 swim, 2:25:22 finish time. WHEW!!!!

2010-08-09 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3033030

User image

Champion

------- Preface to race reports for Fronhofer Toll Triathlon ------

This race is run by Kevin Crossman, his wife Bridget, and his brother-in-law, Paul Fronhofer. This year was its 4th year, and it continues to grow. For two years it was just an oly, then last year it added a kids event, and this year added a sprint. The kids event (actually, two age-based divisions) was held on Friday evening, and the adult events went on Saturday - oly at 8, sprint at 2. About 20 people, including yours truly, elected to do the Double FTT.

I met Kevin in may '06 when we both did the USAT Level I Coaching course. Actually, we didn't exactly meet there, but Kevin remebered my face and introduced himself to me at Mooseman, a few weeks after the coaching clinic. I did his race in '08, and continue to run into him at various New York races - Lake George, Musselman, Crystal Lake. he is a great guy and a phenomenal national-class triathlete, and FTT is one of the hidden gems of races -- as I will explain later. So if any of you are ever contemplating a trip to beautiful Washington County, NY, around the first week of August, SIGN UP FOR THIS RACE!!! (It also helps that all proceeds from FTT go to two local youth literacy programs.)

2010-08-09 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3029098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
LadyNorth - 2010-08-07 12:03 PM

4 seconds

I missed my 5k PR by 4 seconds.  I'm very happy with my time but can't believe I was so close.  My Garmin said I beat it and since I was suffering at the end I trusted the Garmin (I know better)

2008 - 27:44 (8:56 pace)
2010 - 27:48 (8:57 pace)

Hope SteveB is having a good day.

Denise

That's a bummer Denise, but still awesome! Sounds like you've been having some great races lately.

Tracey

2010-08-09 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3029767

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-08-08 1:47 AM

Preliminary (that is, from my watch; official ones aren't posted yet) Results

Race #1 -- Olympic (0.9-mile swim, 24.8-mile bike, 6.2-mile run)
S -- 27:13
T -- 1:27
B -- 1:11:14
T -- 1:25
R -- 44:01

Race #2 -- Sprint (0.5-mile swim, 14.5-mile bike, 3.1-mile run)
S -- 13:23
T -- 1:17
B -- 43:12
T -- 1:15
R -- 21:42

Notes:
-won age group in both, quite handily
-sprint T2 complete guesstimate, as I didn't click at all between bike-out and run-out
-pre-exist problems did not materialize -- achilles okay, s-i joint okay
sore-ish calves right now; i will pay more fully later
-hematuria after race, but okay now (this is not as bad for me as it might sound, as I have an episode or few every season, just about)

More tomorrow (uh, that would be "today", as it's now 1:45!!).

GOOD NIGHT!

Whoa whoa, wait a minute... I've been out of the loop for a while so I know I'm kinda behind here, but did I just read that you did two races back to back? I knew you were considering it at one time but... Good God man, you're crazy! But a good crazy.

No really, I think that's totally awesome. And even MORE awesome is that you placed first in age group (again!) in both races. Seriously, I'm running out of words at this point to describe how impressive you are!

You're an inspiration, for sure.

Tracey

2010-08-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3033046

User image

Champion

RACE REPORT -- FRONHOFER TOOL TRIATHLON (August 7, 2010)

Pre-race:
I drove down Friday, not eating much, and arrived at about 5pm in time to pick up my race stuff and watch the kids' races. What a hoot, probably the highlight of the whole weekend! I then ate a big meal (grilled chicken breasts, spaghetti, cole slaw, roll) and spent the night sleeping poorly in my tent at the Lake Lauderdale Campground, about an 8-minute drive from the race site which is at Lake Lauderdale State Park. Before getting to the site at about 5:50, I stopped at a Stewart's Shops in nearby Cambridge and got a tea to go with a bagel that I had brought from home. That was breakfast, until I added half a cinnamon bagel that was provided by FTT through the generosity of Panera Breads. (I could've had more than just a half bagel, but kept at just that to go with the one I had with me.) I got a great racking spot, set up my stuff, and just lurked for 2 hours until the first race, the oly, began at 8. Per usual, i had a Hammer Gel about 15 minutes before the swim start.

RACE #1 - Olympic

Swim (0.9 mile):
I was in wave 2 of a two-loop swim that included a 25-yard beach run before starting the second loop. It all went well, with no banging and even a few modest stints of drafting. My sighting was good, except for the final leg back to the beach, which comes at about a 50-degree angle. Both times I veered to the left, which brought me through thicker weeds. I was very pleased with my time coming out after the frist loop, and also at the end --- which makes me think the swim was measured a bit short. (But I'll take it!!) (Swim time included about a 50-yard run up to t-zone.)
27:15
79/152 finishers

T1:
Okay, had my usual trouble with getting the chip strap tangled up in the bottom of my wetsuit. Bah.
1:16
56/152

Bike (24.81 miles):
This is a fairly tough course, but overall fair. There is a longish grind of a climb at about mile 2, then a few more shorter ones. It is a terrific course! I attaced it well, and was surprised at how good I felt on the first hill. At about mile 7 I passed Rick Morse, who is 60 and a very strong swimmer. He always outswims me by a few minutes, and then I always out-bike him by a few more. Our runs are comparable, mostly, so it was improtant to me to pass him on the bike fairly early. I drank regularly from a bottle of HEED -- which was wise becasue on a short but nasty-steep climb at about mile 18, my left calf almost siezed. So, I made sure that I finished that bottle, and also had a gel at about mile 22, just to try to avoid cramping of the calf on the run.

I was riding really well, at about 34km/h, up until about mile 21 when my chain dropped (recurring problem this season; I think I need an adjustment, bad!!). I figure this cost me about 50 seconds total -- 20 to get it back on, and the rest to re-establish my momentum. That was a bummer, as I lost the group I was going back and forth with for several miles. Great ride, overall, though.
1:11:14 (21.0mph)
32/152

T2:
Slack. I have gotten slck with my transitions, especially T2. This time it was to make sure my feet were well-lubed, given a couple of blisters from about 10 days ago. I know this was a necessity, but still -- too much time applying BodyGlide and making sure my "speed" laces were done just right.
1:34
122/152 (ugly!!)

Run (6.2 miles):
Given how hard I rode, i was amazed at how effortless I felt heading out on the run. I just felt great! I went through mile 1 at 7:28 and felt I had much more in me, so I picked up the pace slightly. This is a course that gradually climbs going out and then reards the runner with the reverse descent going back, so I felt I could gamble at this. One guy - 58 on his calf - apssed me at baout mile 2, and that was it. I gloomed a gel at about mile 5, otherwise it was just HEED and/or water at the six aid stations. The run finish is very sweet, winding along the shaded road back into the park and coming around a final gentle curve to see the finish chute with the arch of balloons to mark the finish line.
44:03 (7:13/mile)
38/152

Overall:
1:25:22
42/152
1/2 M60-64 (second guy 8 minutes back)

Thoughts:
This was a great race for me, another strong run following a hard-paced bike. I have never done sub-45 off an olympic bike - and maybe the run course was measured a bit short? - but the important thing is that I felt so strong throughout the run. This was a great confidence-builder leading into Half Vermont in three weeks. And finishing 42nd in a very stacked field of eastern and central New York's best was quite satisfying. Finally, for finsihing first in the a.g. I won a really nice, over-sized, plush bath towel with the race logo and "AGe Group First Place Finisher" on it. Fabulous food after, one of the best food spreads at ANY race, anywhere. So, i think I re-fueled well, and wearing my calf compressors throughout the post-race period, i had a couple of hours before the sprint.....

RACE #2 - Sprint

Swim (0.5 mile):
A gel 15 minutes before, and went with the sleeveless for this swim (I used a fell suit for the oly, even though the water was about 75). I was in wave 1 of 2, and this was much like the oly swim -- no banging, and decent drafting options. A bit choppier than in the a.m., but overall very nice. It was just one loop of the two of the oly....and I knew what to expect with turns and directions....and I STILL ended up in the weedier area as I approached the beach. The worse part this time, though, was that I also ended up in soft mud, so twice when I started to run I started to sink in, so had to dive forward and take a few more strokes. Still, it was a decent swim for me. (Same 50-yard run included in swim time.)
12:21
24/82

T1:
About the same as Race #1.
1:15

Bike (14.5 miles):
The first eight or so miles is the same as the oly, and then it becomes much more mellow. Wind was a mild factor at this point in the afternoon -- as were "rubbery" legs; mine were missing the snap they had in the morning! This is evidenced in the pace below, which was 0.8mph slower than on the much tougher oly course.
43:33 (20.2mph)
9/82

T2:
Terrible again. I got back to T2 with only a dozen or so bikes there, so I allowed myself lots of time to BodyGlide my feet and adjust the dshoes just right. I am building bad habits here, and need to spruce up my act for the rest of the season and return to the days of wicked fast transitions!!
1:04
62/82

Run (3.1 miles):
Heading out on the run, I didn't feel as crisp as in the morning, and going up a small incline at about he half-mile point I felt I was plodding. Yet at mile one I was at 7:11, faster than in the oly, so I kept gooing as hard as I could. I passed a couple of people going out to the out-and-back turnaround, and another with about half a mile to go. My split at mile two suggested that I could finsih in under 22 minutes, so that is what I was pushing for. (Also the goal mentioned below.)
21:42 (7:00/mile)
18/82

Overall:
1:20:49
10/82
1/5 M60-64 (second guy 18 minutes back)

Thoughts:
At the turnaround I was 10th, but shortly thereafter saw four guys pretty close to me, one woman right after them, and one guy about 50 yards ahead of me. I wanted to finish in the top ten, and I knew that the woman would likely finish with a time better than mine, as her wave was 3 minutes after mine started. This meant I had to catch the guy in front of me AND keep ahead of the ones not too far behind me at the turnaround. It turns out that all of this came to pass, and I got the 10th spot -- for whatever that is worth in the grand scheme of things!
This was NOT at all the stellar field of the morning's olympic, which explains my relatively high placements across the board in the sprint. Still, i had pushed extremely hard during the oly, and was pleased that I was also able to push hard during the sprint -- just not as hard or as fast (as expected, most people who did the Double had slower paces in the sprint).

Overall thoughts:
Doing the Double FTT really taxed me, more than I thought it would. I ate a ton between and after the races....and still wanted more, more, more. Even now, about 52 hours after finsihing, i am still feeling a bit "depleted", for lack of a better term. Three nights of poor sleeps haven't helped, but mostly I exerted myself more than I anticipated going into the weekend. BUT -- it was all very rewarding, and once again I ran really well off of two fast-paced rides. I almost feel that maybe I have something figured out here!!

2010-08-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3031010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-08-09 2:02 AM

Hey guys,

I know I've been absent for a pretty good chunk of time and I'm sorry for my sudden departure without any explanation. The short version is I needed time away from tris and anything tri-related. The long version follows. Thanks so much for your concern through PMs and inspires. You guys rock!

All is well over here in the sense that nothing is majorly wrong, I guess. I haven't done much of anything (tri-specific, at least) since the Oly in late June. It took me a good three weeks to get back on my bike for a short ride. And after that amount of time off, it had to be short to be surviveable. Geez, it's amazing how much fitness can be lost in such a seemingly short amount of time! It's like I was back at square one.

Since then, I've only been back on the bike a couple times, with no scheduled runs or swims at all. Part of my reasoning was that I'm going back to sea level with no bike for two weeks, so whatever I build up before then will inevitably be lost. So why try, right? Yeah, not the right attitude at all, but it seemed like a sufficient justification at the time.

Anywhos, I felt (and now I know for sure) that I was still jilted by my last tri experience. I don't usually hold on to things for nearly this long so it was kind of weird to have this feeling of crappiness hover around me every time I thought of tris. I needed a positive experience but wasn't about to commit to another hellacious form of expensive torture without being absolutely sure it would do the trick of cheering me up.

And that's where volunteering changed everything. A few friends and I had signed up to volunteer for the Boulder 70.3 Ironman race held this morning a while back after we had a blast at the sprint early in the season. Although the actual volunteer experience wasn't nearly as good this time around from an organizational standpoint (some of the coordinators were absolutely infuriating and incompetent), the athletes I interacted with made getting up at 4 am well worthwhile. It was so much fun and exciting and totally restored my faith in triathlons. The positive vibe felt in transition and before the race start was what I had forgotten about tris. And I missed that. So that's why I'm posting back to the group. I miss you guys.

So yeah, I'm back, albeit slowly and probably going to work on building a base for next season or possibly a late-season race, but I'm excited to get back into things. That hasn't happened in a while. I'm also seriously considering joining the tri club out here to get in some swim workouts with instruction since I feel like that's where I need the most coached help. The bike and run I can fix on my own, I think, (that, and I'm really intimidated by the routes they do so that'll have to wait), but my swim form needs some outside assistance. And the tri club seems like the most cost-effective way to fix that.

And that's that. As always, sorry this is so long, but I figured a one-line explanation wouldn't be sufficient to explain my absence.

From what I've glanced at in the forum, you guys and gals are doing amazingly well with your training, races, and PRs. Awesome job! And happy belated birthday, SHAUN!

Kasia

Kasia,

Glad to see you back here!!

Tracey

2010-08-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3031364

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 9:46 AM

TRACEY!

Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!!

I'm still here, I'm still here!

We actually went out of town for a few days last week for a trip up to New Hampshire (not to scope out Timberman, although I wish it had been!)

A few days of being away and not training plus not getting any training in this past weekend has made me feel a bit unprepared for the race. Although I got out today for a 3 mile run and 18 mile ride, so I'm feeling a bit better now, at least mentally. The area we stayed in NH was not too far from Ellacoya State Park where the race will be. And I was taking mental notes the entire time of how hilly NH really is! Much hillier than Eastern Massachusetts for sure, where I've been doing all my training! I never did make it out to Myles Standish for those hilly rides as I had planned. So at this point, my performance at Timberman will be what it is.

One thing worrying me just a tiny bit is that the gearing on my bike seems to be a bit off. It's doing this weird thing where when I shift, it takes like 8 or 10 revolutions before it kicks in, and sometimes it seems to kick in at the wrong gear (like one notch lower or higher than where I wanted it to be). I actually started to notice this before I went away last week and had planned to take it in to be looked at, but I was worried that I'd be without the bike for too long before the race and have no opportunity to train. At this point I think my best option will be to have the bike shop rep at the race take a look at it and see if it's an easy fix. If not, I'll just have to manage during the race as best I can and deal with the repair afterwards.

I wanted to mention too that since we talked about nutrition, I've tried a few different nutrition options for my longer workouts. It's funny, I've been trying different gels and what not, but I've actually discovered how well bananas seem to work for me for workout fuel. I actually used to eat bananas before my long kickboxing workouts I used to do a few years back and they always gave me the stamina I needed. Not sure why I forgot about them! Anyway, I'm finding that a combo of a banana and a gel works well. I did a banana and Hammer gel before a ride and run brick last week and felt GREAT. Although I have to say, that day the weather was perfect (70's and no humidity) so I had that on my side too. Today I did a Power Gel before my 18 mile ride. I started to crash right around the 1-hour mark (total ride was 70 minutes). So that's making me think that on really hot, humid days like today, it might be a good idea to do the gels with electrolytes hourly (in addition to hydration of course).

So as for the rest of this week, I've got a swim planned for tomorrow, a shorter bike/run brick on Wednesday, and another 18 mile ride on Thursday. I'm feeling that I've really been neglecting my swimming lately. Part of the reason is that the Y closes off the pool for lap swimming for 3 and 4 hour blocks during the day in the summers because of camp activities. So I'm limited in the times I can get there. But when I do manage to make it over, I just kind of feel like I'm churning and splashing along. I think I kind of let myself get off the TI course in an effort to increase my stroke turnover and thus my speed. So my form has been compromised. It was really noticeable at Whaling City when I just never felt like I got into a groove and felt really sloppy. So between now and Timberman I'm going to try to focus on slow, smooth swimming with an emphasis on form.

Anyway, that's what's been going on with me!

Tracey

2010-08-09 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3032948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 5:20 PM

Geeky enough for you?!?

Here I sit, wearing compression calf sleeves and my just-purchased Rudy project aero helmet. I'm almost too geeky for myself, let alone for the general population. Yikes.

I bought the helmet on sale (10% off), but it was still expensive. Some sources say they are as time-saving as a pair of good race wheels, so I decided to pick it up and see what I think. It is remarkably light, which of course is good, but i'm not sure if it can be comfortable on my ears for X hours. (It has ear flaps/covers, and maybe because my face is long and my ears are not exactly small, the bottom of the flaps slightly press against the bottom of my ears. Have to monitor this in the comfort of home, I guess!)

And then, it has to pass Lynn's approval, when she returns from Newfounland. Gulp. Her return could well signal the return of the helmet, methinks!

Until then I remain,
Your Favorite Tri Geek

Geeky indeed! I still giggle when I see people at races in their teardrop helmets. So hard core!

2010-08-09 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-08-09 2:40 PM

stevebradley - 2010-08-07 11:10 PM MANDY - Yeah, yeah, I know I still owe you a full explanation of my comment about your IM mentality, and it's coming. But until then, as an insight into a kindred soul of yours (I believe), go to my other mentor group, and go to page 220, and look at the third post, which is called something like "The Steve Becker Story". This is from MightyMan Montauk last October. (Steve also did the FTT Double TRI today, and performed awesomely.) Let me know what you think about it!

Sorry for the slow reply, my weeks have been so full I can barely fit in breathing lately it seems.

I read that story about Steve Becker. Holy crap, he still finished in under 6hrs with all of those troubles! That is awesome.  I can't believe his tube flew off like that!!  And then to have your cleats wear down on you and walk the bike. Holy cow.  Would love to meet that guy.

Congrats on your great races, and hello to everyone out there!! I am still here just stupid busy.

13 days until Timberman. I am a little freaked out.  Did a 13 mile run on Saturday though, and am pain free on the run now. Yeah.  I had a major failure on the bike yesterday, sucky. I think I had food poisoning and my 50 miler turned into a 16 mile pukefest (sorry) and then back to bed.  BUT I did get 81 miles in last sunday...

Tapering is happening starting this week. Today off, but I am doing some yoga.  Mostly I am thinking about the swim part of the race, it is where I have the least amount of confidence.  I know I can finish it, but I just hope it doesn't take me more than 40 minutes...

ANYWHO. Back to work for me.  Hope you are all doing awesome. Saw a  note from Kasia, glad she is back!!

"Stupid busy". I know how that feels!

By the way, I read your blog about how you had to abort the mission on your ride on Sunday. You make even food poisoning sound funny! Glad you're feeling better.

Tracey

2010-08-09 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts

Anne:

Welcome back! I love hearing about all your trips and vacations. I'm so envious.

Tracey

2010-08-09 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3033012

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 5:58 PM MANDY - May I give you one piece of cautious thought? Don't get your hopes too high for doing the swim in under 40 minutes. I have done about 15 half-irons, and only once (maybe twice) did I do the swim in sub-40. Interestingly, that was at T-man '04. In all honesty, I consider it a good swim (and maybe a short swim....) when I can go sub-40.......so I obviously haven't experienced that particular pleasure too often. My goal is always sub-40, so in a way it is setting myself up for "failure", or at least some small amount of disappointment. Going into half Vermont I will be thinking the same way, but at the same time bracing myself for a time that exceeds 40 minutes. I went back through some of the '09 T-man results, which unfortunately aren't age-grouped. So, it was scrolling along looking for the x/126 that represented W35-39. There were a lot of the women who were comfortably in the 30s, but past the top 40% or so is where more of the 40+ swims happened. You may very well knock off the Timberman swim in sub-40 --- you're tough enough and determined enough! I am definitely NOT trying to discourage you, but merely bringing my own half-iron swim expereinces into play here. What I do know, though, is that you will finish the swim feeling quite good physically, and that you'll be ready to hit that bike course as if you've been shot from a cannon. KA-BOOM!!!

I hear ya!  When I say around 40 minutes, that means anywhere from 40-50 minutes...I did my Oly swim in 31 so I was just figuring 9 minutes for .3 more is realistic.  Who knows?  Here is what I am thinking...

Swim: ~ 40-50 min
T1: Wicked fast man, wicked fast
Bike:~ 3:30ish
T2: Wicked fast again
Run: ~ 2:20ish
Goal 1 = finish and get good race photos
Goal 2 = finish in <7hrs
Goal 3 (pie in the sky) = finish @ 6:30

Any of that sound at least remotely realistic to ya?  Any thoughts? Figuring out fueling is my issue, I need to force myself to eat on the bike and I know it.  I am going to do Hammer Gels (espresso) cause it is easy and works for me.  For IM I think I will need more solid food, but for HIM I think the gels will work.  EFS to drink.  NUUN on the run + gels if it is hot.   I hate the crap they give out, sends me straight to the portapotties.  I blame the fructose.

Thoughts?  Any of that sound too disastrous to you?

I hate this taper crap. Yell Tomorrow is a long swim and a 3 mile run....

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-08-09 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3033164

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-08-09 7:30 PM RACE REPORT -- FRONHOFER TOOL TRIATHLON (August 7, 2010) RACE #1 - .... RACE #2 

You are my hero.  Seriously. Awesome race report.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276