BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-05-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2173075

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

JJackson07 - 2009-05-26 11:20 AM Sorry I have been MIA, I jumped at the chance to get out of town early last week (Wednesday) and didn't have an internet connection while on vacation- which was actually nice. Had a lot of fun and got in some OWS and a little bit of running, but the scale shows +5 lbs this morning, which is not what I wanted to see. I guess drinking 7 bottles of wine between 4 people in 1 night (sounds like a math problem) isn't good on the calorie count. Even more motivation to get in gear this week. Got a race soon and need to get some more hours in on the bike.

Yikes that's a lot of wine! Saturday night I had a beer, Sunday night I had a large cup of sangria (like one of those 16 oz plastic cups) and 2 beers and last night I had 2 beers. That's A LOT of alcohol for me - basically my month's normal allotment! I'm not a big drinker anymore because it makes me feel so gross.

No need to apologize for getting away - I would LOVE to get away for a long weekend!

2009-05-27 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2068561

Morning all - everyone recovered from Memorial Day? I finally came out of my meat coma sometime last night at swim practice - I pushed, and pushed hard last night, swimming with 2 guys, one of whom was tall and could basically lap me within like 5 strokes, so I think that helped burn it off - I also attribute it to a PR of 1:29 for a 100 (yards) last night! Granted that was only one 100, but still. So perhaps meat-loading should be the new trend - screw carb-loading

But in all seriousness - I think swimming with people regularly and forcing myself to go into a slightly faster lane has really helped me a lot. Sure you can take advantage of drafting when you swim with people, which allows you to "cheat", but I can now hold those faster paces without drafting (and I wasn't drafting when I hit the 1:29 last night - the guy in front of me was half a lane ahead). Now it's to the point where I'm often one of the faster people in our lane, when I used to be one of the slowest. I only swim 2x a week, because I can't make our Sunday night practice since it conflicts with church. For most, I'd advise swimming 3x a week, and I really SHOULD be swimming 3x a week (I have in the past), but at the sprint level, I place high up anyway. Though in prep for my Oly in Sept, I should get in that 3rd swim. I can comfortably complete 1500 meters in a row, but I would like to work on getting my time down.

2009-05-27 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Nice PR, 1:29 is fast. I am going to try and push myself at the pool today, I spent most of the time yesterday focusing on drills because I have been feeling like my stroke has been deteriorating the longer I swim.

How often do you do drills?
2009-05-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2175764

JJackson07 - 2009-05-27 12:23 PM Nice PR, 1:29 is fast. I am going to try and push myself at the pool today, I spent most of the time yesterday focusing on drills because I have been feeling like my stroke has been deteriorating the longer I swim. How often do you do drills?

Like form-specific drills? I don't really do a ton of those, since I'm in one of the faster lanes. We don't use pull buoys or paddles unless the coaches tell us that we need to. Some of the fastest folks will occasionally swim with paddles, but the pool toys are more often relegated to the newest swimmers who need the most technique help. Though our coach is fond of making people swim with a kickboard between their legs to alleviate the "scissoring" that a lot of people do with their kick. Sometimes one of the coaches will remind me to do x,y,z but for the most part, our regular workouts just have sets of stuff with specific purposes, like descending sets, or swimming at certain rates of perceived exertion. Sometimes we do weak-side breathing, kick drills, other strokes besides free, swim golf (also known as DPS - distance per stroke, or counting your strokes) and tarzan swimming. Usually these drills are only for certain sets and only parts of certain sets - like 4 x 100, 25 free, 25 kick, 25 tarzan, 25 free (just making that up, but you get the idea).

2009-05-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2174996

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-27 6:01 AM

Morning all - everyone recovered from Memorial Day? I finally came out of my meat coma sometime last night at swim practice - I pushed, and pushed hard last night, swimming with 2 guys, one of whom was tall and could basically lap me within like 5 strokes, so I think that helped burn it off - I also attribute it to a PR of 1:29 for a 100 (yards) last night! Granted that was only one 100, but still. So perhaps meat-loading should be the new trend - screw carb-loading

But in all seriousness - I think swimming with people regularly and forcing myself to go into a slightly faster lane has really helped me a lot.

great job on the swim pr. i would take1:29 for 100 anyday.that was my issue on the bike. i would ride with guys who were all sponsored, and all they did was ride. but pushing myself beyond that comfort level i think i became a better cyclist-not their level, but i can hold my own at 20mph. now if some how i can get down to a 10 min mile i would be ecstatic. great job again on the swim.
2009-05-27 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2175829

wplummer - 2009-05-27 12:46 PM  great job on the swim pr. i would take1:29 for 100 anyday.that was my issue on the bike. i would ride with guys who were all sponsored, and all they did was ride. but pushing myself beyond that comfort level i think i became a better cyclist-not their level, but i can hold my own at 20mph. now if some how i can get down to a 10 min mile i would be ecstatic. great job again on the swim.

Let the knee heal before you think about 10:00/miles

I know that people will tell you to "ride with people who are better than you". But I think there are some caveats to be had there. It really should be "ride/run/swim with people who will push you but aren't so beyond your ability that you get dropped/lapped in 5 minutes". That doesn't do anyone any good. You either run the risk of hurting yourself (or on the bike, hurting others if you're not experienced, esp. with pack riding), or getting really frustrated because you're just  not at that level yet. The lane I put myself in when I started swimming with the tri team was JUST a little bit beyond my ability, so I wasn't getting pummelled by them, but I had to work a little harder to stay on. I was a decent swimmer when I started, so training alone wasn't a bad thing. But with cycling, I didn't know anyone who was better than me but not insanely better, if that makes sense.

2009-05-27 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2175886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-27 10:04 AM

I know that people will tell you to "ride with people who are better than you". But I think there are some caveats to be had there. It really should be "ride/run/swim with people who will push you but aren't so beyond your ability that you get dropped/lapped in 5 minutes". That doesn't do anyone any good. You either run the risk of hurting yourself (or on the bike, hurting others if you're not experienced, esp. with pack riding), or getting really frustrated because you're just  not at that level yet. The lane I put myself in when I started swimming with the tri team was JUST a little bit beyond my ability, so I wasn't getting pummelled by them, but I had to work a little harder to stay on. I was a decent swimmer when I started, so training alone wasn't a bad thing. But with cycling, I didn't know anyone who was better than me but not insanely better, if that makes sense.

for me i had reached a plateau because i normally train alone. i wanted to push myself to see what i could achieve-no lance aspirations just to see what my body can handle. i think from training solo is in part why my run stinks so bad. the fastest mile that i have ever run was 11:20. not blazing by any means, but an all out effort to get there. and believe me chrissy i do not need any more injuries.
2009-05-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2176271

wplummer - 2009-05-27 3:08 PM  for me i had reached a plateau because i normally train alone. i wanted to push myself to see what i could achieve-no lance aspirations just to see what my body can handle. i think from training solo is in part why my run stinks so bad. the fastest mile that i have ever run was 11:20. not blazing by any means, but an all out effort to get there. and believe me chrissy i do not need any more injuries.

Eh, maybe, maybe not. Running is kind of funny like that. I got faster simply by running consistently and training for specific events. If you didn't start out as a runner, or took a long hiatus, then building strength by running more helps. But I think it also depends on the person. With running anyway, I have enough self-motivation to get out there and push myself. Having someone to coach me now helps too, though - we tweaked some form stuff which will help me vastly improve in the long run (no pun intended).

How long had you been running befor eyour injury? (I apologize if I asked this once before, but I can't remember).

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-05-27 2:16 PM
2009-05-27 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2176294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-27 12:15 PM

How long had you been running befor eyour injury? (I apologize if I asked this once before, but I can't remember).

i was never a runner before 2006. i actually will say i hated running. but it became the exercise that helped me lose 60 lbs. i was never fast, but i agree with you being consistent was the key. i couldn't believe the first time that i ran for one hour straight, or the morning i ran 15 miles. again my runs average in 12-14 min mile range, but it is my motivation that keeps me going. when i started on this journey i couldn't run to the corner to save my life, after 25 yds in the pool i questioned my sanity. call it stubbornness, or self motivation the journey continues.
2009-05-27 2:29 PM

User image

Hello!!  Great job on your swim Chrissy!!  Things are fine here, just a crazy week - wedding in Roanoke & first time that my husband and I have been away together without the kids since our older son was born 3-1/2 years ago!!!!  I know, I know, we're pathetic, but we just go to things together all of us, or just one of us would go for work things, etc...

Anyway, my question, I've been in the open water 2x, but was not able to get my face in either time, so I couldn't even really try to swim well...I did a little breaststroke and a little backstroke, etc.  Am I going to have a major issue since I have not been in open water extensively before the race??  I am trying to get my distance up in my workouts, and it is going well, but I am really getting nervous!
2009-05-27 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2176334

wplummer - 2009-05-27 3:27 PM  i was never a runner before 2006. i actually will say i hated running. but it became the exercise that helped me lose 60 lbs. i was never fast, but i agree with you being consistent was the key. i couldn't believe the first time that i ran for one hour straight, or the morning i ran 15 miles. again my runs average in 12-14 min mile range, but it is my motivation that keeps me going. when i started on this journey i couldn't run to the corner to save my life, after 25 yds in the pool i questioned my sanity. call it stubbornness, or self motivation the journey continues.

Eh, some people are fast, some people get fast, some people are never fast. It all depends in timing and the genetic grab-bag God gave us. I figure if you're out there doing it, that's enough

2009-05-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2176339

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-27 3:29 PM Hello!!  Great job on your swim Chrissy!!  Things are fine here, just a crazy week - wedding in Roanoke & first time that my husband and I have been away together without the kids since our older son was born 3-1/2 years ago!!!!  I know, I know, we're pathetic, but we just go to things together all of us, or just one of us would go for work things, etc...

Anyway, my question, I've been in the open water 2x, but was not able to get my face in either time, so I couldn't even really try to swim well...I did a little breaststroke and a little backstroke, etc.  Am I going to have a major issue since I have not been in open water extensively before the race??  I am trying to get my distance up in my workouts, and it is going well, but I am really getting nervous!

Well, you are comfortable with breaststroke right? It wouldn't necessarily hurt you to breaststroke the whole thing, but you'll just be in there longer. You've got another week or two for the lake to warm up, right? I would honestly tell the average person to HTFU, stick your face in the water and get used to it. Except that for you, it causes you legit breathing problems. Or rather, you have legit breathing problems that could be made worse by the inital "breathlessness" that the cold water can cause. I say, keep practicing in the pool and when you get to the race site - if you get there the day before, try to get in and practice again. The morning of the race,  get your stuff situated early so you can get into the water well before your wave goes off, to try to acclimate, get your face in the water, etc. You can get out before your wave starts, if you're not the first wave. But try not to have too much lag time between your initial "warm up" and when you finally enter for your wave. Otherwise, just take it slow, try to RELAX and breathe easily, which I know is easier said than done. But really, that's all you can really do.

2009-05-27 2:52 PM

User image

Thanks!!  I'm sorry, you probably feel like you are on repeat to me, but I guess I am getting first-timer jitters!!!  I had a dr's appt yesterday, and she basically said the same, just get in, warm up & see how it goes...

Okay, I have seen it several times and can get the jist, but what is HTFU (or i may have gotten letters wrong Laughing)??
2009-05-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2176409

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-27 3:52 PM Thanks!!  I'm sorry, you probably feel like you are on repeat to me, but I guess I am getting first-timer jitters!!!  I had a dr's appt yesterday, and she basically said the same, just get in, warm up & see how it goes...

Okay, I have seen it several times and can get the jist, but what is HTFU (or i may have gotten letters wrong Laughing)??

Oh, it's okay - that's what I'm here for

HTFU means "Harden The F Up"   It comes from this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y 

So if you didn't have breathing issues, I'd tell you to HTFU and put your face in the dang water With something like that, you just have to do it and get it over with.

2009-05-27 3:09 PM

User image

Haha!!!  I figured it was something like that!!  I like it!!  When I was younger and riding all the time, if someone was being a pansy, they would say "Cowboy up, take the skirt off."  Now keep in mind what I did was pretty far from being a cowboy, except that we were also on horseback!!!  Anyway, in the same vein!! (or is that supposed to be vane??)
2009-05-27 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2176456

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-27 4:09 PM Haha!!!  I figured it was something like that!!  I like it!!  When I was younger and riding all the time, if someone was being a pansy, they would say "Cowboy up, take the skirt off."  Now keep in mind what I did was pretty far from being a cowboy, except that we were also on horseback!!!  Anyway, in the same vein!! (or is that supposed to be vane??)

Nope, vein. You're right Not only do I expound on triathlon knowledge for you all, I am also a master speller

2009-05-27 3:45 PM

User image

It's weird, I am coming across phrases that I have said plenty of times, but never spelled out, and didn't know if I had the proper spelling for context...how silly!!!
2009-05-28 7:51 AM

Morning, folks. I might be a bit MIA today with inspires and posting in here. Have a stupid project at work that of course they've known about forever, but haven't bothered to give me any of the parts yet, and of course want it done today. Morons. Unfortunately, the people in charge are women. Women are never respectful to other women in offices, esp. women who are in positions well below themselves. I'm just the office manager, so these women are nothing but condescending to me - since they're not super-high up, they have to get their power trip in somewhere.

Ugh.

2009-05-29 6:58 AM

User image

Hello!!  Chrissy I hope you got through your project sorry about the sucky ladies' power trip  

FOr my swim yesterday, I did a 100 warm-up, then 2 sets of 400 (I am super slow, the first set was 13 min, 2nd 11)  The second was completely freestyle, the first had 2 laps of breastroke thrown in....   then a 100 cool-down.

We are headed to Roanoke this morning for a wedding tomorrow; we are staying with friends on a lake, so I will get an OWS in!  Back Sunday for the week before the race.  Next week is INSANE!!!  I am supposed to help out at my old high school for registration Mon night right after work, then Tues was supposed to go to a Tastefully Sipmle/Bunko party, then Thurs was supposed to go to Beatles tribute concert, then to the lake Fri to get settled before race on Sunday..  And don't forget that the Belmont is on Saturday!!!

So, I have a feeling I'm going to have to cut some of that out of the week, because otherwise, I am going to go crazy!!!  And, I have to get time in with the boys most importantly!!!

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!
2009-05-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2180304

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-05-29 7:58 AM Hello!!  Chrissy I hope you got through your project sorry about the sucky ladies' power trip  

FOr my swim yesterday, I did a 100 warm-up, then 2 sets of 400 (I am super slow, the first set was 13 min, 2nd 11)  The second was completely freestyle, the first had 2 laps of breastroke thrown in....   then a 100 cool-down.

We are headed to Roanoke this morning for a wedding tomorrow; we are staying with friends on a lake, so I will get an OWS in!  Back Sunday for the week before the race.  Next week is INSANE!!!  I am supposed to help out at my old high school for registration Mon night right after work, then Tues was supposed to go to a Tastefully Sipmle/Bunko party, then Thurs was supposed to go to Beatles tribute concert, then to the lake Fri to get settled before race on Sunday..  And don't forget that the Belmont is on Saturday!!!

So, I have a feeling I'm going to have to cut some of that out of the week, because otherwise, I am going to go crazy!!!  And, I have to get time in with the boys most importantly!!!

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

Morning all - gonna have to do another mass-inspire via this thread because our interwebz at work is INSANELY slow today for some reason, so trying to get to everyone's page will take all damn morning.

Kathleen, great job getting through those 400s with mostly freestyle! Hope you have better luck with OWS this weekend - maybe the water will be a little bit warmer Don't wear yourself out too much with running around and such before the race!

I have a lot of stuff to do before Sunday - and Sunday I have a friend who is coming into town who wants to hang out, so I have to run home after the race to shower and change, then hang out with her and then bail on her a little early so I can make it to worship team practice before church that night...arg. I don't see this girl very often so I'd feel bad saying "no" to hanging out. Ugh.

Hope everyone is doing well - have a great weekend!!! I'll try to get to people's logs later if the internet cooperates.

2009-05-29 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
I have been in the same boat as Chrissy this week at work, super busy and slow internet connection- which is a great combination if you have to use the internet to find things for work.

Hope everybody has a good weekend, good luck on your sprint this weekend Chrissy.

2009-05-29 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
afternoon all
I just went for a run for possibly the first time (properly outdoors not on a dreadmill)
Managed a grand 0.91 miles (according to the routes thing) Got some strange looks by people but meh.
One thing though, as i was getting towards the end, i got a bit of a pain above my hip on the left side, at the back. Anyone got any ideas what causes this?
2009-05-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2181305

SteveyD - 2009-05-29 1:42 PM afternoon all
I just went for a run for possibly the first time (properly outdoors not on a dreadmill)
Managed a grand 0.91 miles (according to the routes thing) Got some strange looks by people but meh.
One thing though, as i was getting towards the end, i got a bit of a pain above my hip on the left side, at the back. Anyone got any ideas what causes this?

Could be your piriformis muscle - also possibly IT Band related, since the IT Band connects back there and sometimes the pain manifests in the hip, not the outside of the knee. Both can be stretched - look up IT Band and piriformis stretches online and any of the ones you find will be good. For piriformis, I like the pigeon pose from yoga, as well as the one where you lay on your back, cross the hurting leg in front of you and bring your other knee to the ankle of the crossed leg. Then you use your other leg to push the crossed leg towards you.

IT band stretches are harder, but you'll know if you're getting it, cuz you'll feel it.

Also, if you only went for a mile, try slowing down a bit. You could have just pushed too much.

2009-06-01 8:01 AM

Hi Mentees. I feel like a VERY bad mentor today because I DNS'd my race yesterday because of rain (see my blog). Hopefully everyone had good weekends. I will tally up the pink squares from May's challenge and post the results in a bit, so stay tuned for that as well as the new challenge for the month of June!

2009-06-01 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Shame about the race yesterday!
I look foward to it whilst i work on my iboring work :P
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29