BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-06-20 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
Off training topic....but I hope everyone is rooting for the US in the World Cup Futbol. My favorite is Argentina, but of course I am rootin' for the US..Which brings us to strides. The Soccer clubs use alot of strides to keep their athletes fit for endurance. If you watch the World Cup games you will notice that they don't sub alot (exchange players when they are winded or need rest). The endurance level of these athletes is incredible. The use strides in their training because that is what they do the entire game. They sprint then run/ jog. They rarely stop. So since I have been using strides it has helped my immensely regarding speed. I used this technique to bulid confidence and better cardio for the shorter runs ( 3-5mi). IT worked. Strides: So here's my take on this technique. You set a time period for your run for DURATION say 1 hour. During that run say every 10 min you do a strided run (run as fast as you can comfortably without compromising form or getting out of control but fast enough to build on your lung endurance). I go (try) about 2min for my strides. Then I return to my regular pace for 10 min. This technique really helped my confidence too and understand how I can go faster for longer distances.

Jenny, feedback?

2010-06-20 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2932584

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Straydog
"Does anyone know how to reduce the size of photo files so I can post in an album? BT only allows a certain size. I am just not a computer whiz."

I open the photo in Paint and resave it under a modified name. IT automatically reduces the size by half. Thats the one I upload to BT.
2010-06-20 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2932584

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I survived the swim!!

race report coming soon.

Lovey
2010-06-21 4:59 AM
in reply to: #2931940

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-06-19 5:30 PM

Finished my very first tri today! It went pretty well considering I had a nerve wracking open water swim on Thursday. After doing some reading, I decided to sight using other swimmers instead of buoys. I went out to the right of the pack and always tried to make sure someone was to my right. The water was about 77 so no wetsuit necessary. I finished middle of the pack with the swim. Under 10 minutes! T1 could have been better, I need speed laces and am considering going sans socks. I have toe cages on my bike which will be replaced with clipless pedals soon. My bike was pretty good, I had a faster average than when I train but I think I'm still too slow. Finished towards the back of the pack at around 44 min. My T2 went well since I only needed to get my hat on. My run was super slow. I had nothing left in the tank...I am a weak runner to begin with and even more so today. My 5K time was 37 min.

My goal was to finish without walking, hanging on to the kayak or falling off my bike. I accomplished all three of my goals and am ready to do another tri in June! 

Nice job, Keiren! I'm glad to hear the swim went better for you!

Do you have some more races coming up??
2010-06-21 5:31 AM
in reply to: #2932768

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-20 4:04 PM

Off training topic....but I hope everyone is rooting for the US in the World Cup Futbol. My favorite is Argentina, but of course I am rootin' for the US..Which brings us to strides. The Soccer clubs use alot of strides to keep their athletes fit for endurance. If you watch the World Cup games you will notice that they don't sub alot (exchange players when they are winded or need rest). The endurance level of these athletes is incredible. The use strides in their training because that is what they do the entire game. They sprint then run/ jog. They rarely stop. So since I have been using strides it has helped my immensely regarding speed. I used this technique to bulid confidence and better cardio for the shorter runs ( 3-5mi). IT worked. Strides: So here's my take on this technique. You set a time period for your run for DURATION say 1 hour. During that run say every 10 min you do a strided run (run as fast as you can comfortably without compromising form or getting out of control but fast enough to build on your lung endurance). I go (try) about 2min for my strides. Then I return to my regular pace for 10 min. This technique really helped my confidence too and understand how I can go faster for longer distances.

Jenny, feedback?

Hey Jeff,

I think strides are a GREAT way to introduce speedwork into run training without as much stress on the body as longer interval efforts. They don't have to be as long as 2 min, especially for those just starting to incorporating them into training. For example, the marathon plan I'm following includes 100 yard strides into some longer, mostly easy pace runs. Those strides would be < 1 min in length (more like half a minute, depending on pace). For anyone wanting to introduce a little bit of speedwork, I think it's a great place to start.
2010-06-21 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2933397

User image

jsnowash - 2010-06-21 5:59 AM
Keiren - 2010-06-19 5:30 PM Finished my very first tri today! It went pretty well considering I had a nerve wracking open water swim on Thursday. After doing some reading, I decided to sight using other swimmers instead of buoys. I went out to the right of the pack and always tried to make sure someone was to my right. The water was about 77 so no wetsuit necessary. I finished middle of the pack with the swim. Under 10 minutes! T1 could have been better, I need speed laces and am considering going sans socks. I have toe cages on my bike which will be replaced with clipless pedals soon. My bike was pretty good, I had a faster average than when I train but I think I'm still too slow. Finished towards the back of the pack at around 44 min. My T2 went well since I only needed to get my hat on. My run was super slow. I had nothing left in the tank...I am a weak runner to begin with and even more so today. My 5K time was 37 min.

My goal was to finish without walking, hanging on to the kayak or falling off my bike. I accomplished all three of my goals and am ready to do another tri in June! 
Nice job, Keiren! I'm glad to hear the swim went better for you! Do you have some more races coming up??

Hi Jenny,
Yes, I have scheduled one sprint tri a month until Sept or maybe Oct. I might be addicted now as I have more goals to work toward and more areas for improvement. NJ Tri coming up in July. With 2,000 participants it will be very different feel than the one this weekend with 311 competing.

2010-06-21 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2933302

Veteran
Outside B'more
Lovey - Congrats!!! I know you must be ecstatic and proud of yourself!! You should be!!

Jenny - I'm sending a private message to give you the run down of Eagleman...long version..LOL

I didn't finish Eagleman (HOLY DEATH VALLEY HOT!!!) but I'm happy with my attempt. My swim took longer so I was DQ'd but I continued onto the bike to try to see how far I could get. Rumor has it the buoys drifted and the tide was going out so the swim was a bit longer than the 1.2 miles. Whatever, everyone swam the same race right? It took me 1:36 and a lot of people were surprised that I could swim that long...LOL. Hey I'm not fast but I can endure! I had a few moments out there in the swim where I wanted to quite because swimming against the current I think really did me in but once I got past the first turn I decided to at least finish the swim to finish ONE event. Once I got out of the swim there were a couple of other people in waves close to mine and we were expecting someone to pull us but no one did and my friend was yelling at me to keep going.

Got on the bike and headed out into the headwinds and felt ok for the first 15-20 miles. After that I noticed I was a little cranky and just not feeling right. I already emptied my aquacell of all 50+ ounces of fluid so that wasn't a great sign. I made it to the aid station at mile 30 and a friend and her husband drove past me to check on me. I told her I was done and only then did she say I wasn't looking well and she was worried, but she didn't want to press me or "enable me"..LOL

I went back to transition to find a piece of duct tape on my rack with "DO NOT RUN"...LOL..which made me laugh because I think I would'v been upset to do the entire bike and come back to see that. But how could they really stop me? I found out a few people that missed the swim cut off also kept going...they got their medal but knew their times wouldn't be posted. I hung out with my friend waiting for her brother-in-law to finish and I was looking for a couple of friends from the triathlon club to finish since I saw their bikes were racked.

I'm glad I attempted it but my next one will be somewhere where I can get some opportunities for shade and I will suffer the hills for it!

2010-06-21 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2933297

User image

Veteran
Lovey - 2010-06-21 8:20 PM Straydog "Does anyone know how to reduce the size of photo files so I can post in an album? BT only allows a certain size. I am just not a computer whiz." I open the photo in Paint and resave it under a modified name. IT automatically reduces the size by half. Thats the one I upload to BT.

Yea , Thanks Lovey. I'll check it out this week and see if I can post something.
2010-06-22 5:14 AM
in reply to: #2933760

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-06-21 10:14 AM

Lovey - Congrats!!! I know you must be ecstatic and proud of yourself!! You should be!!

Jenny - I'm sending a private message to give you the run down of Eagleman...long version..LOL

I didn't finish Eagleman (HOLY DEATH VALLEY HOT!!!) but I'm happy with my attempt. My swim took longer so I was DQ'd but I continued onto the bike to try to see how far I could get. Rumor has it the buoys drifted and the tide was going out so the swim was a bit longer than the 1.2 miles. Whatever, everyone swam the same race right? It took me 1:36 and a lot of people were surprised that I could swim that long...LOL. Hey I'm not fast but I can endure! I had a few moments out there in the swim where I wanted to quite because swimming against the current I think really did me in but once I got past the first turn I decided to at least finish the swim to finish ONE event. Once I got out of the swim there were a couple of other people in waves close to mine and we were expecting someone to pull us but no one did and my friend was yelling at me to keep going.

Got on the bike and headed out into the headwinds and felt ok for the first 15-20 miles. After that I noticed I was a little cranky and just not feeling right. I already emptied my aquacell of all 50+ ounces of fluid so that wasn't a great sign. I made it to the aid station at mile 30 and a friend and her husband drove past me to check on me. I told her I was done and only then did she say I wasn't looking well and she was worried, but she didn't want to press me or "enable me"..LOL

I went back to transition to find a piece of duct tape on my rack with "DO NOT RUN"...LOL..which made me laugh because I think I would'v been upset to do the entire bike and come back to see that. But how could they really stop me? I found out a few people that missed the swim cut off also kept going...they got their medal but knew their times wouldn't be posted. I hung out with my friend waiting for her brother-in-law to finish and I was looking for a couple of friends from the triathlon club to finish since I saw their bikes were racked.

I'm glad I attempted it but my next one will be somewhere where I can get some opportunities for shade and I will suffer the hills for it!

Kiwi,

Congrats on your race. Eagleman is a deceptive race.... you look at the description and see flat bike and run, and think it might be an "easier" half Ironman course. But the current on the swim, wind on the bike, and heat on the run are killers. It sounds like conditions were particularly challenging this year. It didn't help that the swim was long and no wetsuits were allowed. It seems there were quite a few people who missed the swim cut-off as a result of that combination of factors. I'm glad you were happy with what you accomplished.

I think I have personally come to prefer bike courses with a little bit of terrain variation to dead flat courses, especially for longer events. At least with a few hills you get a chance to coast every now and then! A few people I train and race with are planning to do the Patriot Half in Williamsburg, VA next year. It looks like a nice event, with some actual SHADE on the run (which, as you know, is nowhere to be found at Eagleman...).

What else do you have planned for the summer?
2010-06-22 1:59 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
I have a 5K July 12th to conclude the No Boundaries 5K training program I'm in to work on my pace. Then August 1st the Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon and August 22nd Irongirl Sprint Tri. After that I'm debating whether to do the Baltimore Half Marathon again to work on a PR or not but prior to that October 9th I'm doing the "Warrior Dash" which is a 3 mile (5 mile?) obstacle course with fire pits, repelling down into a raveen, wall climbs, etc....that will be fun because I have some friends doing it with me and we're dressing up in costume. Finishers get a big furry Viking cap and a medal..LOL
2010-06-22 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2937009

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
That sounds like FUN!!

2010-06-22 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Sorry for disappearing after my race. You can read my long race report for details but here is a summary.

I survived the swim!! I was terrified, panic attack when I jumped in the water but calmed down before the horn. Freestyle to each buoy (100 meter apart) then breaststroke for a few strokes to rest then freestyle to the next buoy and so on. I chose to skip the wetsuit and go with my wave.

The bike was a nice ride with great views. Definitely a much easier ride than what Iron Girl is going to be. I enjoyed it.

The run was good with 2 hills both of which I walked.

SWIM: 45:38
T1: 5:53
BIKE: 1:03:28
T2: 5:05
RUN: 1:08:35
TOTAL TIME: 3:08:39

I made m two goals of:
1. survive the swim - done
2. complete the race - done

Now to push harder on the next one.

Lovey
2010-06-23 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2932768

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-20 4:04 PM Off training topic....but I hope everyone is rooting for the US in the World Cup Futbol. My favorite is Argentina, but of course I am rootin' for the US..Which brings us to strides. The Soccer clubs use alot of strides to keep their athletes fit for endurance. If you watch the World Cup games you will notice that they don't sub alot (exchange players when they are winded or need rest). The endurance level of these athletes is incredible. The use strides in their training because that is what they do the entire game. They sprint then run/ jog. They rarely stop. So since I have been using strides it has helped my immensely regarding speed. I used this technique to bulid confidence and better cardio for the shorter runs ( 3-5mi). IT worked. Strides: So here's my take on this technique. You set a time period for your run for DURATION say 1 hour. During that run say every 10 min you do a strided run (run as fast as you can comfortably without compromising form or getting out of control but fast enough to build on your lung endurance). I go (try) about 2min for my strides. Then I return to my regular pace for 10 min. This technique really helped my confidence too and understand how I can go faster for longer distances.

Jenny, feedback?

I'll try it with 1 minute strides Tongue out 
2010-06-23 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Hi gang. Congrats to all you racers this last weekend.
We just got back from a NYC mini vacation trip with my wife and kids. Did a bunch of stuff, but the highlights for me were a guided bike tour of Central Park yesterday (on rentals, which was so awkward without the clips!), and a 6 mile jog in Central Park this morning with my wife. She claims she recognized a couple of celebs...don't ask me their names. 
As I stated on my prior posts, I thought the DC Tri was a great event. The Potomac swim was interesting (0 visibility under water, but no particulate debris to speak of). No wetsuit was a little intimidating, but once the juices are flowing, survival mode kicks in. Temp was comfortable, and when swimming with current we were moving fast.
Long hike to transition. The bike ride was my favorite part. It's great when the roads are closed to traffic. We were able to go fast. By the time I got to run part I noticed the heat. I tried to focus on the surroundings to stay distracted, even chatted for 1/4 mile with a guy who was running truly barefoot (he forgot his sneakers!), but the truth is that the run was hard for me. Even though the legs felt OK after bike and I held my regular pace, a lot of people flew by me. One part of me was pushing to try harder, but another part kept me in check reminding me I was running against myself (to not feel discouraged). I'm glad I didn't push to much, cause Capitol Hill (the last mile) is pretty steep.
I would recommend this race for sure, and will probably do it again. 
2010-06-24 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
p.s. Re: things you can do to improve your running.... I've read some research that suggests that adding running form drills and Plyometrics to your training can help improve running speed. I've been trying to work some of these into my training, but I don't know that I've ebeen consistent enough with it to really see a difference. I'll try to post some links later, but if you google "running drills" or "running plyometrics" you'll find some good stuff.
2010-06-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2940925

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-06-24 10:04 AM p.s. Re: things you can do to improve your running.... I've read some research that suggests that adding running form drills and Plyometrics to your training can help improve running speed. I've been trying to work some of these into my training, but I don't know that I've ebeen consistent enough with it to really see a difference. I'll try to post some links later, but if you google "running drills" or "running plyometrics" you'll find some good stuff.

thxs 

2010-06-24 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I might try 1 minute strides.

Our group coach wants us tostart doing ladders once a week.

I haven't ran since my tri on Sunday but I have a 5K this coming Sunday. Should be interesting.

Lovey
2010-06-24 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2940925

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-06-25 7:04 AM p.s. Re: things you can do to improve your running.... I've read some research that suggests that adding running form drills and Plyometrics to your training can help improve running speed. I've been trying to work some of these into my training, but I don't know that I've ebeen consistent enough with it to really see a difference. I'll try to post some links later, but if you google "running drills" or "running plyometrics" you'll find some good stuff.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. ...been talking about plyometrics at work. Good idea. It would break things up on "those" days. Something different. Exactly the kind of thing I am looking for to incorporate my Vibram KSO's. Gotta do some research now. Thanks Jenny.
2010-06-25 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2941393

User image

Veteran
Lovey - 2010-06-25 9:42 AM I might try 1 minute strides. Our group coach wants us tostart doing ladders once a week. I haven't ran since my tri on Sunday but I have a 5K this coming Sunday. Should be interesting. Lovey

What's a ladder? Is that like a "build" in a workout?

Also, having trouble with the "wall" in the swim workouts. In the beginning, I cannot figure it out. Is it the cool water. Is it the pressure under the water, is it my coordination...anxiety? I just can't seem to get in a good solid breath until near the end of the training. I guess this is the one thing that remains elusive in making me comfortable to start a race in the outside middle or closer to the front. I want to start there but I feel like I am going to poop out and then I don't want to be a human obstacle for the other racers.
2010-06-25 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Leaving @ 4 am to North Carolina for kids triathlon. More nervous for them that I ever was for myself. Should be fun though!
2010-06-26 4:40 AM
in reply to: #2945081

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-25 9:57 PM

Lovey - 2010-06-25 9:42 AM I might try 1 minute strides. Our group coach wants us tostart doing ladders once a week. I haven't ran since my tri on Sunday but I have a 5K this coming Sunday. Should be interesting. Lovey

What's a ladder? Is that like a "build" in a workout?

Also, having trouble with the "wall" in the swim workouts. In the beginning, I cannot figure it out. Is it the cool water. Is it the pressure under the water, is it my coordination...anxiety? I just can't seem to get in a good solid breath until near the end of the training. I guess this is the one thing that remains elusive in making me comfortable to start a race in the outside middle or closer to the front. I want to start there but I feel like I am going to poop out and then I don't want to be a human obstacle for the other racers.

Hey Jeff,

In looking back at your training, it looks like your run & bike training have been much more consistent than your swimming (not that I can point fingers in that area - my swim training has been very much lacking this year!) If you can find the time to get to the pool, more frequent swim sessions might help. I know that I often don't really feel like I'm in the groove with swimming until after at least a couple hundred yards. Maybe that's the case with you, too. If that's part of what's going on, if at all possible, try to get in for a swim warm-up before your races. For some races that's possible, for others it's not....

2010-06-26 4:42 AM
in reply to: #2945115

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-06-25 10:21 PM

Leaving @ 4 am to North Carolina for kids triathlon. More nervous for them that I ever was for myself. Should be fun though!

Have a great trip! Are you traveling to NC JUST for a kids triathlon, or is this a vacation? (Cause you know, they do have kids triathlons here in PA, too ) We'll be spending a week in the Outer Banks at the end of July - I'm looking forward to that!

Good luck to your kids - let us know how they do!!
2010-06-26 4:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
What's everyone up to this weekend? No races here, though a bunch of my friends are doing the "big" local race this weekend - the Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon. I've done it a few times, but decided to skip it this year - it's kind of gotten too big for my taste.... A large number of racers on a two loop bike course makes for A LOT of congestion on the bike course...

Long run for me today, and maybe a bike tomorrow. I'm really more focused on running than anything this summer to build for the marathon in the fall.

Today is my baby's birthday - big 9 years old! My oldest (13) heads off on a church mission trip tomorrow.

That's all the news here. How's everyone else doing?
2010-06-26 2:20 PM

User image

Hi everyone,
Is it me, or does anyone else start the week light after a tri or big event. I took several days off after my tri. Mostly because of life getting in the way (graduations, friends in from out of town etc). Back in the proverbial saddle today as I went on my first group ride. Also the longest ride I've taken thus far (20 miles). It was fun and I definitely prefer training with people rather than alone (as I've been doing). I also switched out of my cage pedals to clipless. I hope I don't kill myself before I can take advantage of them.

I went on an OWS with my friend (we are doing a tri together in July). It was our 2nd OWS and she has been having panic attacks. She's been getting out of breath then panics as she can't touch bottom. I told her to flip over and float on her back or do backstroke but it didn't work. We're going to try it again...anyone have any suggestions? 
2010-06-27 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I did a 5K this morning.
My friend picked up my packet for me yesterday. Neither of us verify the contents of the race bag. Today, I just put on my bib and went to the race. When I checked the wall at the race for results, I noticed my name or number wasn't there.

It was not until I unpacked the race bag after I got home from the race that I noticed that it wasn't my name on the envelope or the bib!! I checked the results for the name on the bib and her name wasnt there either.

It was really hot, in the 80s. I was on pace until mile 2 when I felt sick and queasy in my stomach. I had to take reall deeep breaths not to throw up at the end because m stomach was so queasy. I wasnt going faster than my normal pace but a queas stomach and high heat wasnt going well for me.

I emailed the race coordinator.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-06-27 5:08 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32