BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-09-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3115813

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
Hey Priscilla, it's great to have you back! Sounds like you had a wonderful Summer. You must have loved Alaska, since you are such an outdoorsy kind of person.

I checked your Race Report from August. Nice job!! Congratulations on your first OWS. Now that you have your first one under your belt, it will be easy to be calm for the start at your next one. I am embarrassed that I missed it when you first posted it. Sorry about that!

Looks like a fun race for you this Sunday. If I ever got a Tie-dyed race shirt, my wife would definitely steal it from me. That's a tough call on the weather and what to wear. I personally would wear my regular stuff, but I wear shorts and short sleeves on the bike down to the low 50's, and for the run down into the 30's, so you may not be able to go by me. Any chance to try a couple different things before Sunday?

Once again, it is great to hear from you. Good luck and have fun on Sunday! Don't forget to smile for the cameras

Anthony

2010-09-24 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3116075

User image

Expert
Even though Summer is officially over and the season is winding down, it's good to see that we still have some racing left. Besides Priscilla, Calvin will be doing a 5K with his wife on Saturday evening.

He posted an interesting question on tri talk about strategy for a 5K and got some great replies. For me, the biggest thing for a 5K is a good warm up. I like to run about 2 miles with a few pick ups and finish the warm up as close to the start time as possible. I want to start sweaty and with my heart rate already up. I go out hard, try to hold on through the middle, and if I have anything left really push the last half mile. Then, I try to not puke on the person taking my chip

Good luck to you as well Calvin!!

Anthony
2010-09-27 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

NH
I'm not good at pain on the run.  That's actually one of my focus items this fall.  I'm planning a 5k every month to try to accept the pain and embrace it.  I can hammer on the bike, but for some reason when the running gets uncomfortable I back off.  That ends this fall!
2010-09-27 12:21 PM

User image

Oklahoma
Well, the sprint was great this weekend.  The cold front blew through a few hours before the race and we had a strong north wind and the temps actually dropped during the morning.  Although it made the bike much more difficult, the run was great.  I have been running in the 80s and 90s and upper 50s was fantastic!  I am pretty please with my results.  I am moving up in the rankings, which means I am improving some.  I need to start going to the Master Swim classes again to improve my swim, that is consistently the worst leg of my race.  Although slow, the swim went well (snake swim in pool).  I was happy not to get passed and have lots of room to swim.

Tie-Dye-Tri Race Report

The race season continues down here in the south.  I might do a DU in mid-Oct, depends on family plans.

Hope you all had a fun autumnal weekend.

2010-09-27 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3119654

User image

NH
OkiePrill - 2010-09-27 1:21 PM Well, the sprint was great this weekend.  The cold front blew through a few hours before the race and we had a strong north wind and the temps actually dropped during the morning.  Although it made the bike much more difficult, the run was great.  I have been running in the 80s and 90s and upper 50s was fantastic!  I am pretty please with my results.  I am moving up in the rankings, which means I am improving some.  I need to start going to the Master Swim classes again to improve my swim, that is consistently the worst leg of my race.  Although slow, the swim went well (snake swim in pool).  I was happy not to get passed and have lots of room to swim.

Tie-Dye-Tri Race Report

The race season continues down here in the south.  I might do a DU in mid-Oct, depends on family plans.

Wow, great race.  That run time is over the top!  Your work on the run really paid off.
2010-09-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3119044

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-09-27 9:47 AM I'm not good at pain on the run.  That's actually one of my focus items this fall.  I'm planning a 5k every month to try to accept the pain and embrace it.  I can hammer on the bike, but for some reason when the running gets uncomfortable I back off.  That ends this fall!

Oh yeah, I definitely find it easier to hammer on the bike. I think maybe because you can "rest" and recover a little on the bike if you need to. There is no resting when you are running. It's mostly mental on the run, but sometimes I feel like if I get going to fast, I'm gonna pull or tear something.

2010-09-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3119654

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-09-27 1:21 PM Well, the sprint was great this weekend.  The cold front blew through a few hours before the race and we had a strong north wind and the temps actually dropped during the morning.  Although it made the bike much more difficult, the run was great.  I have been running in the 80s and 90s and upper 50s was fantastic!  I am pretty please with my results.  I am moving up in the rankings, which means I am improving some.  I need to start going to the Master Swim classes again to improve my swim, that is consistently the worst leg of my race.  Although slow, the swim went well (snake swim in pool).  I was happy not to get passed and have lots of room to swim.

Tie-Dye-Tri Race Report

You had a great race and moving up and improving is always fun. That really is good picture with the two of you smiling so nicely.
2010-09-29 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3120136

User image

Oklahoma
wbayek - 2010-09-27 3:06 PM
OkiePrill - 2010-09-27 1:21 PM  

Wow, great race.  That run time is over the top!  Your work on the run really paid off.

Thanks!  I am very happy with my run time.  It wasn't that long ago that 27 min was my stand alone 5k PR.  Now I am looking for a 5k to jump into to see what I can do!

I have been doing workouts from the Run Less Run Faster book.  All the speed workouts have helped.  Some of it is mental - I now know I can run that fast for that long. 
2010-09-29 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3124741

User image

NH
OkiePrill - 2010-09-29 5:30 PM

Thanks!  I am very happy with my run time.  It wasn't that long ago that 27 min was my stand alone 5k PR.  Now I am looking for a 5k to jump into to see what I can do!

I have been doing workouts from the Run Less Run Faster book.  All the speed workouts have helped.  Some of it is mental - I now know I can run that fast for that long. 

Hmm, someone just gave me that boo and ?I'm contemplating using it for the next few months to help my 5k time.
2010-09-30 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3124931

User image

Oklahoma
wbayek - 2010-09-29 7:16 PM

Hmm, someone just gave me that boo and ?I'm contemplating using it for the next few months to help my 5k time.

I recommend trying it.  Especially if you feel like you want to change up your routine.  I never thought I could do 800m repeats @ 2:00 min 6 times, but that's what I did this morning - because the plan told me too.  Don't be surprised to feel queasy after some of the workouts, apparently it is pretty typical. 
I originally got the book thinking I would do a half marathon this fall.  I have decided against it, but plan to use it for a full in the spring (Oklahoma City Memorial). 
2010-09-30 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3126784

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-09-30 5:24 PM
wbayek - 2010-09-29 7:16 PM

I recommend trying it.  Especially if you feel like you want to change up your routine.  I never thought I could do 800m repeats @ 2:00 min 6 times, but that's what I did this morning - because the plan told me too.  Don't be surprised to feel queasy after some of the workouts, apparently it is pretty typical. 
I originally got the book thinking I would do a half marathon this fall.  I have decided against it, but plan to use it for a full in the spring (Oklahoma City Memorial). 

I looked into that book and it looks pretty interesting so I think I will buy it.  I see it is from Runner's World, so I wonder if the plans are similar to the plans you get when you put your info into their "SmartCoach" that they have on their website. I used the plan that the Smart Coach gave me for a half mary 2 seasons ago, and I was very pleased with the results. I used a different plan (Hal Higdon) for the same race this year, and I was not happy with it.

2010-09-30 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3126913

User image

Expert
It's almost October, but we still have some racing! Scott has the Osprey Sprint Tri on Saturday. I checked the website and it looks like a great place to have a race. Good luck Scott!

Bill also had a race scheduled for Sunday, but he is dealing with a calf injury so it looks like he won't be able to race. I'm sure he will heal up, and come back even better next season.

Anthony
2010-10-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3126950

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-09-30 6:38 PM It's almost October, but we still have some racing! Scott has the Osprey Sprint Tri on Saturday. I checked the website and it looks like a great place to have a race. Good luck Scott!

Bill also had a race scheduled for Sunday, but he is dealing with a calf injury so it looks like he won't be able to race. I'm sure he will heal up, and come back even better next season.

Anthony

Have an awesome race Scott, and sorry to hear about the injury hanging around Bill. 

As our weather starts to change up here in the northeast and the trees are changing color and such, it's hard to remember that this is still race season for you southerners. 

We've actually had some really warm humid days this week, so it's a last hurrah for summer.
2010-10-01 7:41 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I am doing a 5K tomorrow for breast cancer awareness.  One of my highschool friends has been going through a double mastectomy and has had a lot of complications so I thought I would run in her honor.  This is a pretty cool concept -they call it the Ta Ta Chaser.  The women get a 3 min head start of the men.  Who ever finishes first gets $1000!  There are a lot of fast women in town.  I would like to be at the finish line to see the battle but I will probably not even be half done by then!  I am super slow and missed training this week- we had 23 inches of rain since monday!  I dont mind running in the rain but torrential downpours in the dark arent on my list.  OH well.
I am trying to plan my racing for next year and how I am going to fit in the training.  I would love to do a Half Iron in May but not sure I have the time.  Any resources for a good program.  I have a few different books but would love some input from you guys.
That running book sounds good Prill   I will have to put it on my list!  Personally for my 1/2 mary, I have followed the runners world 3 day a week program with pretty good success.   
Keep up all the good work folks!
2010-10-02 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Guys,

The race was AWESOME!!! my unofficial time was 1:41.  I will work on my race report tomorrow, but it went well and the course was great.  We are off to an Octoberfest party...Whoa! Sam Adams octoberfest on tap why to end a Tri...take care and hope everyone has a great weekend.
2010-10-03 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3129911

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-10-02 5:06 PM Hey Guys,

The race was AWESOME!!! my unofficial time was 1:41.  I will work on my race report tomorrow, but it went well and the course was great.  We are off to an Octoberfest party...Whoa! Sam Adams octoberfest on tap why to end a Tri...take care and hope everyone has a great weekend.

That is great that you had such a good time at your race. I am looking forward to reading your race report.

Beer after a race tastes great!! Mmmmm, Octoberfest; maybe I will have beer and brats for lunch today

2010-10-03 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3129911

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-10-02 5:06 PM Hey Guys,

Sounds like a great race.  Also can't wait to read the RR.  October is here, Sam sounds good. 

All you southerners - keep racing so we New Englanders can live vicariously through you!  35 degrees when I woke up this morning.  Yikes.
2010-10-03 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Guys!!  My race report is up and I will be back next year.  I have alot of room to improve, but overall I had a great time.  2 other friends did the race also and we had a blast. One of my friends took 2nd place in his AG 50-55.  The other one took 5th in our AG 45-47.   I have alot to learn from these guys.

I had a time of 1:45 as my max time and 1:30 would be if the stars align and the world was perfect.  I knew this was going to be challenging with the limited amount of training I had going in.  I just told myself just have fun with it and make one goal.  Run the whole 5k, not to go all out on the bike and leave something in the tank for the run.  I did that and finished under 1:45.  Not too bad, but still have alot of more to improve.

The Octoberfest was a blast, however I was ready for bed my 8:30.  We stayed till 12:30 (ouch) everyone found out we did a Tri and wanted to know all about. Wifey was telling everyone, we (the guys I did the race did not tell anyone, just talked about it within our group)  I would point out how Eddie took 2nd place in his AG and Gary was 5th in our AG and let them talk about the race.  The more beers we had the more we would laugh about different aspects of the race.  Good time, but stayed waaaaayyy  to late.  Taking today off and will either run or swim tomorrow.
2010-10-04 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Okay so the season is pretty much over for everyone.  Off season training is here.  I am planning on running a few 5K's to get my running distance and speed up.  I am also planning to get a swimming technique class Dec. or Jan.  What is everyone else doing for the off season??

2010-10-05 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3129286

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-10-01 8:41 PM I am doing a 5K tomorrow for breast cancer awareness.  One of my highschool friends has been going through a double mastectomy and has had a lot of complications so I thought I would run in her honor.  This is a pretty cool concept -they call it the Ta Ta Chaser.  The women get a 3 min head start of the men.  Who ever finishes first gets $1000!  There are a lot of fast women in town.  I would like to be at the finish line to see the battle but I will probably not even be half done by then!  I am super slow and missed training this week- we had 23 inches of rain since monday!  I dont mind running in the rain but torrential downpours in the dark arent on my list.  OH well.
I am trying to plan my racing for next year and how I am going to fit in the training.  I would love to do a Half Iron in May but not sure I have the time.  Any resources for a good program.  I have a few different books but would love some input from you guys.
That running book sounds good Prill   I will have to put it on my list!  Personally for my 1/2 mary, I have followed the runners world 3 day a week program with pretty good success.   
Keep up all the good work folks!

How was the 5K? Sounds like a fun way to run a race. Best wishes to your friend.

For limited time training for HIM, the basic plan here is pretty good. The only change I would make would be adding more biking as much as possible.
2010-10-05 1:16 PM

User image

NH
I agree with Anthony on the HIM advice.  Add as much biking as you can fit in.  I feel like most plans for beginners have way too much swimming time.  In my opinion, swim enough to finish comfortably, but no more.  You will not get as big a bang for your training time swimming as biking/running.

2010-10-05 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3134005

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hi Scott:

Congrats on your race and following festivities!  Looks like you had a really really good time at both.  I'm buying an indoor bike trainer so I can get stronger over the winter.  I was supposed to start training again last week but I had a tough time getting motivated over the weekend.  I did swim 1250 yards on Fri but the temperature is dropping here in Ohio. The idea of biking in 50 degrees didn't appeal to me.  I have clothes and gear for cold weather biking but I'm just not ready for it.  Instead I ate a lot of junk food =). Have a great off season to everyone!

Dan
2010-10-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3134109

User image

NH
DannyK - 2010-10-05 2:57 PM Hi Scott:

Congrats on your race and following festivities!  Looks like you had a really really good time at both.  I'm buying an indoor bike trainer so I can get stronger over the winter.  I was supposed to start training again last week but I had a tough time getting motivated over the weekend.  I did swim 1250 yards on Fri but the temperature is dropping here in Ohio. The idea of biking in 50 degrees didn't appeal to me.  I have clothes and gear for cold weather biking but I'm just not ready for it.  Instead I ate a lot of junk food =). Have a great off season to everyone!

Dan

Danny, when Jorge starts his bike plan I'd suggest following along.  It's an awesome plan, and you will absolutely get faster on the bike. 

For what it's worth, I've been totally off motivation since my half, but I'm good with it.  I'm using this time as a mental recovery, and I'm starting back hard November 1 with the Jorge plan.
2010-10-05 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3132751

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-10-04 9:13 PM

Okay so the season is pretty much over for everyone.  Off season training is here.  I am planning on running a few 5K's to get my running distance and speed up.  I am also planning to get a swimming technique class Dec. or Jan.  What is everyone else doing for the off season??

Sure sounds like you had a great weekend, Scott! Fun race, and a fun party!

Sounds like a good plan to do some 5K's. Training for them will definitely help you improve your running.
2010-10-05 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3134483

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-10-05 5:19 PM
DannyK - 2010-10-05 2:57 PM Hi Scott:

Dan

Danny, when Jorge starts his bike plan I'd suggest following along.  It's an awesome plan, and you will absolutely get faster on the bike. 

For what it's worth, I've been totally off motivation since my half, but I'm good with it.  I'm using this time as a mental recovery, and I'm starting back hard November 1 with the Jorge plan.

X2 on Jorge's Winter biking plan. Definitely a great plan that will make you faster.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24