BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-02-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3256537

Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Had a fun swim this morning dodging the "turtles" (a friends nickname for the old timers who swim up and down while conducting a full on conversation and keeping their hair dry) then came home and had a look at that swim smooth website. I have so much to learn! I guess I will just have to concentrate on one little part at a time. Good recommendation though. Lots of good info there.

On the turbo this evening got my kicked by Alberto "I like my steak rare" Contador. Gonna struggle  to get much done next three days as we are away visiting friends and family again. Should at least manage a couple of runs I hope.

2011-02-21 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Hello everyone, hope your Monday is swell!!

Chet and David, thanks for the website links.  Both are great.  The race result one had 2 of my races.  The swimming one will be helpful in the next 2 months as I continue working on my swim.  Only 2 lessons left then will start working on my own. 

Chet, Daneen is good as far as I know. I haven't seen her in a couple weeks. She has been doing the juggle of family and husband being out of town and her time. 

Mel, great job on your race.  Sounds like a very adventurous race. 

Ross, good to hear about the new bike.  I had to take mine back to the shop yesterday because the gears weren't shifting right.  Hubby just picked it up for me today.   Those water temps are CRAZY, wow.  I can't imagine.  What do you do for the feet?  I just thought about that today for me as well. 

Robert, 60 laps is awesome.  Hows the shoulder?

Chris, awesome ride with the group.  Sounds like things are falling into place. 

Im sure I missed someone, not intentional.  Hope everyone has a great week.  Tomorrow is swim, Wednesday bike, Thursday swim and Friday Im going to go run!!  See ya!!
2011-02-22 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Good morning everyone.  Out for a long mountain bike ride today.  Good news though, walking without pain for the first time in 2 weeks!  Looking at a tri in March now. 
2011-02-22 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3364564

User image

New user

Subject: Mr. Smooth
That guy never gets tired. Thanks for the link, some very good articles and now I know I am an overglider.
2011-02-22 5:32 PM

User image

Amsterdam
Sheila: sounds like you're keeping really busy..    nice!
Chet: congrats on your pain-free walking!   Onwards and upwards..
David: nice website...   I wonder how long it took for someone to put that together..
Ross, Robert, Chris: good job with your workouts!    :-)

Just a quick update...    yesterday was an intense cross-training day for me in the gym (rowing, elliptical cycling, treadmill w/ 15% incline, ankle strengthening drills).

Today I had my 2nd appointment with the physiotherapist for my shoulder.  He gave me a set of ~8 drills w/ the resistance band + weights...    after doing several reps, my right shoulder muscle is now really sore!    (I didn't realize the extent of how weak my shoulder is..   but it's really noticeable when doing these PT exercises!)  He wants me to do the entire routine (~1 hour) once/day..   although to be honest, I'm not yet sure how I'm going to realistically fit that in with all of the running and cross training..    (I also hope that my shoulder won't be too sore during my long run tomorrow!)

Anyways..   back to your regularly scheduled programming..    :-)

Mel
2011-02-22 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Checking back in with the group. I just stepped out to do a little snowboarding in the area due to the snow. It was Sweeeet. Joined by my wife and kids we had a ball. My 2nd daughter texted me today interested in the Granite Man in Oregon, that would be great if she would train and do it with me. In the news the students started a new Tri Club at Chico State. Good for them.  I am taking a couple days off from maintenance to cure a stressed R hip from boarding.

I see a bunch of people were racing...congrats to all that did well.
Mel, I have got to give it to you for signing up for the race in Germany after the first 10mi. in the mud. Carry on..

Question:  I received my demo Adamo seat. I will fit it soon. It is the Century model. I was wonder if others out there have a gel version of the ISM Adamo and if gel seats tend to crack or wear faster? The ISM Adamo Century does not have any gel just foam but has the same lycra outer cover.

2011-02-22 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3367875

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
StrayDog - 2011-02-22 8:49 PM

Question:  I received my demo Adamo seat. I will fit it soon. It is the Century model. I was wonder if others out there have a gel version of the ISM Adamo and if gel seats tend to crack or wear faster? The ISM Adamo Century does not have any gel just foam but has the same lycra outer cover.

I have the Adamo Century and I love it.  Is is not the gel one but does have the lycra cover.  I will say that it does take some playing around with to get it right.  When you set it up, make sure to start with rails parallel to the ground.  The seat will appear to be slanted, but that helps when you get into the aero position.  The other thing is to adjust the rotation.  Mine is set just a little to the left of center.   Once you get it dialed in you should really like it.
2011-02-22 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
I have had the Adamo racing saddle for a while (thousands of miles).  For me there is no substitute.  I got off my tri bike during a ride with my old saddle and considered giving up on cycling all together.  Adamo was the answer.

It is funny you mentioned the Century.  I ordered it a few days ago.  I am getting the old cheap roadie a little tlc and needed a new saddle.  I am putting my old Adamo on it and the new Century on the Tri Bike.  I hope it works.  It was $60 less than the Racing saddle I have now.  

2011-02-23 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
2011-02-23 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
It's Wednesday so,  WHO'S RACING this weekend?

Go David!!!!!!
2011-02-23 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Raby Bay Tri in Brisbane this Sunday!!!
Same organisers and distance as last one (400,15k,4k) so hoping to break 60 mins this time.

There's an option to do a "mates wave" where you start with your mates rather than in age groups so I'm probably going to do that with 2 old Uni friends.

Did my first "Sufferfest" workout today, great fun and lots of sweating but managed to get through the 60 mins of pain and suffering and even the 10/10 effort sprint at the end!!

Ross: how do you manage your effort levels, bigger gears or increased trainer setting or both?? I set the trainer to the highest setting since "Angels" is a hill workout and did the hills in the big gears and rests in the top end of the small wheel.

Cheers, Dave 

2011-02-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3369652

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
copa2251 - 2011-02-23 9:39 PM Raby Bay Tri in Brisbane this Sunday!!!
Same organisers and distance as last one (400,15k,4k) so hoping to break 60 mins this time.

There's an option to do a "mates wave" where you start with your mates rather than in age groups so I'm probably going to do that with 2 old Uni friends.

Did my first "Sufferfest" workout today, great fun and lots of sweating but managed to get through the 60 mins of pain and suffering and even the 10/10 effort sprint at the end!!

Ross: how do you manage your effort levels, bigger gears or increased trainer setting or both?? I set the trainer to the highest setting since "Angels" is a hill workout and did the hills in the big gears and rests in the top end of the small wheel.

Cheers, Dave 

I love this idea.  Have fun and good luck!

2011-02-24 1:48 PM

Yay! I did angels the other day as well. Good fun eh? that 10/10 almost killed me at the top. Also love "the Hunted" with a 20 min sustained effort.

To answer your question: the trainer I have has no settings so I only have the gear option. I have yet to get to my biggest gear so its working for me. For the attacks I just up the cadence by 15-20 rather than switching gears all the time. I am not keen on standing up on the turbo as I always feel like the bike is going to tip over and send me into the cat litter. Thats an experience I can do without.

I have been guaging the effort by using my HRM which seems to work pretty well although I am sure if I found $1000000 lying around I would buy a power meter for more pointless numbers to look at.

2011-02-24 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
His Ross,
Yep, I didn't find the standing sections to be very comfortable, I don't think I could have stood for another second!
I'm going to get "the Hunted" next and alternate between the two.

I sweat'd so much during Angels that at one point I breathed out and sent a spray of sweat across the laptop (sorry about that everyone...).

Here's an Alpe d'Huez shot - final climb of the Angels Sufferfest (I've been up this by car and I can assure you it 's STEEP!)

Edited by copa2251 2011-02-24 5:37 PM
2011-02-24 11:44 PM
in reply to: #3368001

User image

Veteran
cwpeters - 2011-02-22 7:35 PM
StrayDog - 2011-02-22 8:49 PM

I have the Adamo Century and I love it.  Is is not the gel one but does have the lycra cover.  I will say that it does take some playing around with to get it right.  When you set it up, make sure to start with rails parallel to the ground.  The seat will appear to be slanted, but that helps when you get into the aero position.  The other thing is to adjust the rotation.  Mine is set just a little to the left of center.   Once you get it dialed in you should really like it.

Chris thanks for the tip. It did feel a little more of a forward tilt at first because I placed the seat exactly where my old one was. Interestingly the seat sticks out more in the rear (about 2 in. ) and the horn is a lot shorter than traditional racing saddles. It felt like I was sitting on a much smaller surface but it was strangely more comfortable that way. Also, the split in the horn seems to come together when I am in the saddle, not apart like I had imagined. The seat has a dynamic aspect to it and sort of moves with the rider. Weird.  I will fit myself properly this weekend and decide whether to buy one.
2011-02-25 12:25 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Weekend Race
Today was nice: tempo run at lunch (I can feel my speed improving) and single speed mountain bike ride tonight. It was pitch dark tonight and one of my lights went dead. It turned out fine and this is the first time completing my usual loop without having to stop to rest. 

10k race this weekend with some old running buddies. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Robert

Edited by kacerrob 2011-02-25 12:29 AM

2011-02-25 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
So Robert and David are our racers this weekend!  Good luck you two.

Had a little test run this morning.  It will be another week on the bike but it is getting better.  Heading up to the cabin today for a little skiing.  I am ready for a weekend away.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic friday! 
2011-02-26 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Another successful group ride.  Almost perfect conditions.  36 miles at 21+ mph, really starting to feel faster as my cadence increases and the pedaling feels easier.  Tomorrow is my last long run before my Half Mary on the 13th.  Looking forward to the taper.   
2011-02-26 11:19 AM

Thats a pretty impressive speed there. I got around the same distance yesterday but my average was waaaay down on yours. It was pretty windy and we did over 2000ft of climbing but still, I got alot of work to do before the bike race in May.

Did a short "recovery" ride today and a run tomorrow will complete the weekend.

2011-02-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3373541

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
eejit - 2011-02-26 12:19 PMThats a pretty impressive speed there. I got around the same distance yesterday but my average was waaaay down on yours. It was pretty windy and we did over 2000ft of climbing but still, I got alot of work to do before the bike race in May.

Did a short "recovery" ride today and a run tomorrow will complete the weekend.

THERE IS NOT 2000 FEET OF ELEVATION IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF FLORIDA!!!I can't imagine doing that. I hate the bridges we have around here and the highest one is only 65 feet at the peak. I was able to hit 30 mph coming down one of the smaller drawbridges, wonder what I could do on a real hill.
2011-02-26 3:23 PM

Florida sounds good!! I should point out that the 2000 feet was a total rather than a single climb. Biggest climb was around 700 ft. There is only one 2000ft climb around here that I am aware of and I have not been brave enough to try it yet. There are two races per year over the route that I have on my to do list but not this year. Might give it a go on a non race day just to see if I am up to it. Its only an hours drive away. Who wants to join me?

http://www.sportivecentral.com/?p=climbs&rid=7&page=1

Bealach Gradient

Edited by eejit 2011-02-26 3:30 PM

2011-02-26 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Nothing cuter than a six and seven year old skiing in a snow storm. Great day on the mountain today.
2011-02-26 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
oops

Edited by cbarnes1 2011-02-26 6:00 PM
2011-02-26 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
phone has gone crazy. Triple post.

Edited by cbarnes1 2011-02-26 6:02 PM
2011-02-27 12:07 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Had a great race today,much better than the last one. Same distance: 400m/15k/4k and managed to get under 1 hour (59:48) which was my main target!
The swim was much more controlled despite lots of kicking and pushing and did that in 7min 21secs, bike 31min 30 plus 2 mins transitions and then 4k run 18min 56secs.
(131st in swim, 325th bike, 214th run out of 769)

This time I managed to get a nice middle of the pack position: 429/769.

The most important thing for me was that I felt fit and in control throughout the whole thing!

Looking forward to doing my first Oly in May!!!Cool
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28