BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-03-29 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4679145

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
DaDooRunRun - 2013-03-29 11:31 AM
Ybeal - 2013-03-29 8:24 AM Looking for some advice on improving my run! I ran my half at an interval of 1:30 r/.30 walk. A short interval I know but it seemed best at the time. (Strangely, the first half I did was a 9/1 interval and my overall time was about the same). I'd like to increase my interval but not sure of the best approach, keep the same walk and increase the run interval? Increase both? What do you think?

I'm also not sure about mileage, I don't want to lose my training base, but don't have any long run races coming up until my 10 miler in October and a half in November. Couple of sprints and 5k s between now and then. What should I strive for as a weekly mileage?

Thanks! Yvonne

Btw, at this time I run 10:15-10:30 pace when running, try to walk at a 15:00 pace when doing the walk interval, if it matters.

I will pose this question to CH, who has a lot of experience in this area and get his advice for you.  That said, one thing that made a HUGE difference in my speed was strength training.  About 4-5 years ago, I started doing Pilates 1x per week and a strength training class called Body Pump 1x per week.  I was very dedicated with that, in addition to my training runs for at least a year.  Within that year, I took 20+ minutes off my HM time.  At that time I was only running...hadn't started this crazy multi sport journey yet.  But, I'm here to tell you, getting stronger, especially in my core, really made a difference in my run speeds.  A BIG difference.  I'll let you know what CH says.

Jax

Thanks Jax, I'd be interested to his take on it.  The strength training is something I've been neglecting but will get back into it now.  I have these Jillian Michaels 30 min. body revolution dvds and the last time I did them I noticed HUGE differences in strength and muscle definition.  I hope to incorporate them into my s/b/r training now, maybe 2-4 times a week.  They are only 30 min. so I should be able to do that.  I was afraid to do it during my HM training as the first few weeks come with a lot of muscle soreness and I just couldn't face it   Time to suck it up now, no more excuses!

2013-03-29 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4679148

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-03-29 10:33 AM

ransick - 2013-03-29 10:20 AM
Ybeal - 2013-03-29 7:24 AM Looking for some advice on improving my run! I ran my half at an interval of 1:30 r/.30 walk. A short interval I know but it seemed best at the time. (Strangely, the first half I did was a 9/1 interval and my overall time was about the same). I'd like to increase my interval but not sure of the best approach, keep the same walk and increase the run interval? Increase both? What do you think?

I'm also not sure about mileage, I don't want to lose my training base, but don't have any long run races coming up until my 10 miler in October and a half in November. Couple of sprints and 5k s between now and then. What should I strive for as a weekly mileage?

Thanks! Yvonne

Btw, at this time I run 10:15-10:30 pace when running, try to walk at a 15:00 pace when doing the walk interval, if it matters.

I wouldn't worry about the run/walk interval, though experimenting wouldn't hurt to see if some combination will make you faster. I think you'll get the biggest bang for the buck if you can run more days per week and build your mileage up to 25-30 miles per week. Do them all easy zone 2 for a few months and you'll see big improvements. The trick is being consistent. I tried to get faster with speed work and got hurt, went to all zone 2 (for the most part) and saw a big improvement after several months.

Hmmm....okay, maybe I should re-visit the zones, I've never trained that way because my heart rate has always seemed high when exercising (esp. when running). Some of my training has heart rate displayed, like if you look at March 8, my 10 mile training run, the max heartrate showing is basically what my heart rate goes to when running, between 160-170bpm.

Do you have a link I could refer to for figuring out what zone 2 is for me?

TIA running guru

Here you go. Fair warning, LT tests are tough. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... once you figure out your LT you plug it into the hr calculator (click on hr zones on the right of your training log.
2013-03-29 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran

Hi gang,

Sorry I've been AWOL.  This new job is keeping very busy.  I will try to read all these pages this weekend. Alas, I will not be running my first HM.  I will be in New Orleans on a business trip.

Hope everyone is healthy.

Tom

2013-03-30 1:27 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Same apology from me too, I've been off the airwaves lately as well. But I'm back from overseas, and so is my wife, so I am back into training. Or I was... First run back and I was ringing my physio, one leg in significant pain in about three/four places, and after all of 15 minutes. Enough to male me stop ,y run. A bit of a mystery, but physio suspects it is a combination of tight glutes and new shoes. Anyway, he did some work on me and I appear to be on track again. Two runs since and no pain (in my old shoes though).

To the experienced runners in the group. I have decided I want to try changing my running technique. I have a heel strike and I want to develop a mid/forefoot strike. I have always been a terrible runner and I am keen to be better. I have done a couple of shortish runs with shorter strides etc trying to get the forefoot strike without pointing my toes. I can do it, and it does become reasonably natural after a while, but my calves are about to explode (I expected this). Does anyone have any tips about how I should go about making this change...? Also, is it too late to start given my first HM is in late July?

Thanks all.

2013-03-30 1:56 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

I've just read back through about five pages of posts I have missed, and I just wanted to say a huge congratulations to Yvonne. Awesome work finishing the HM, and in such terrible conditions. A real achievement! I am stoked for you. And right after you finished you were back on here asking for advice about how to be faster, what a great attitude.

well done!

2013-03-30 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4679848

User image

Veteran
cadnams - 2013-03-30 2:27 AMSame apology from me too, I've been off the airwaves lately as well. But I'm back from overseas, and so is my wife, so I am back into training. Or I was... First run back and I was ringing my physio, one leg in significant pain in about three/four places, and after all of 15 minutes. Enough to male me stop ,y run. A bit of a mystery, but physio suspects it is a combination of tight glutes and new shoes. Anyway, he did some work on me and I appear to be on track again. Two runs since and no pain (in my old shoes though).To the experienced runners in the group. I have decided I want to try changing my running technique. I have a heel strike and I want to develop a mid/forefoot strike. I have always been a terrible runner and I am keen to be better. I have done a couple of shortish runs with shorter strides etc trying to get the forefoot strike without pointing my toes. I can do it, and it does become reasonably natural after a while, but my calves are about to explode (I expected this). Does anyone have any tips about how I should go about making this change...? Also, is it too late to start given my first HM is in late July?Thanks all.
Welcome back! What new shoes did you try?

I tried to change my stride once and it was too hard on my calves, even though I've always considered myself to have strong calves. When I tried, I did a lot of reading about chi running. You can find a lot of good videos online about that method. I think there is a lot to be said for it and def worth a shot if you're injury prone. Good luck!

2013-03-30 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4679557

User image

Veteran
ransick - 2013-03-29 4:59 PM
Ybeal - 2013-03-29 10:33 AM
ransick - 2013-03-29 10:20 AM
Ybeal - 2013-03-29 7:24 AM Looking for some advice on improving my run! I ran my half at an interval of 1:30 r/.30 walk. A short interval I know but it seemed best at the time. (Strangely, the first half I did was a 9/1 interval and my overall time was about the same). I'd like to increase my interval but not sure of the best approach, keep the same walk and increase the run interval? Increase both? What do you think?

Thanks! Yvonne

I wouldn't worry about the run/walk interval, though experimenting wouldn't hurt to see if some combination will make you faster. I think you'll get the biggest bang for the buck if you can run more days per week and build your mileage up to 25-30 miles per week. Do them all easy zone 2 for a few months and you'll see big improvements. The trick is being consistent. I tried to get faster with speed work and got hurt, went to all zone 2 (for the most part) and saw a big improvement after several months.

Hmmm....okay, maybe I should re-visit the zones, I've never trained that way because my heart rate has always seemed high when exercising (esp. when running). Some of my training has heart rate displayed, like if you look at March 8, my 10 mile training run, the max heartrate showing is basically what my heart rate goes to when running, between 160-170bpm.

Do you have a link I could refer to for figuring out what zone 2 is for me?

TIA running guru

Here you go. Fair warning, LT tests are tough. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... once you figure out your LT you plug it into the hr calculator (click on hr zones on the right of your training log.
This might be a stupid question, but I'm not sure I can run 20 min straight, full out, is it still worth trying? Or do I.need more fitness first?
2013-03-30 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4679918

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-03-30 7:22 AM
This might be a stupid question, but I'm not sure I can run 20 min straight, full out, is it still worth trying? Or do I.need more fitness first?

I don't think that is a dumb question at all, though I don't know the answer. The goal with the LT test is to find the max hr you can sustain for twenty minutes. I think you can do the test if you don't walk until fully recovered when you stop running. Again, think about keeping that average as high as possible so your zone 2 is higher. Zone 2 will feel low even if you go all out. Alternatively you could go by RPE (rated perceived exertion). There is a RPE chart toward the end of this article
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Basically for zone two run slow enough that you can carry on a converstation or sing.you can still do run/walk, just walk when you can't carry on a conversation and run when you can.
2013-03-30 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4679648

User image

Master
St. Louis
TomsTri-ing - 2013-03-29 6:17 PM

Hi gang,

Sorry I've been AWOL.  This new job is keeping very busy.  I will try to read all these pages this weekend. Alas, I will not be running my first HM.  I will be in New Orleans on a business trip.

Hope everyone is healthy.

Tom

Welcome back Tom! Sorry about not being able to run the HM but work does take priority. How is the new job?
2013-03-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4679848

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-03-30 1:27 AM

Same apology from me too, I've been off the airwaves lately as well. But I'm back from overseas, and so is my wife, so I am back into training. Or I was... First run back and I was ringing my physio, one leg in significant pain in about three/four places, and after all of 15 minutes. Enough to male me stop ,y run. A bit of a mystery, but physio suspects it is a combination of tight glutes and new shoes. Anyway, he did some work on me and I appear to be on track again. Two runs since and no pain (in my old shoes though).

To the experienced runners in the group. I have decided I want to try changing my running technique. I have a heel strike and I want to develop a mid/forefoot strike. I have always been a terrible runner and I am keen to be better. I have done a couple of shortish runs with shorter strides etc trying to get the forefoot strike without pointing my toes. I can do it, and it does become reasonably natural after a while, but my calves are about to explode (I expected this). Does anyone have any tips about how I should go about making this change...? Also, is it too late to start given my first HM is in late July?

Thanks all.

Welcome back! Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I can check around for articles.
2013-03-31 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Happy Easter! Time to get to the gym and work off all those mini-eggs!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (39KB - 6 downloads)

2013-04-02 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

:crickets:

April's here! Took yesterday off for my sister's wedding.  May actually take today off too because one of my legs is a little tight.  We'll see.

I know Jax and I have races coming up in a couple weeks.  Getting pretty excited, myself.

2013-04-02 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Totally disappointed.

I was suppose to do my first 'brick' today, the first workout of my 'official sprint tri plan'

I went to bed early Sunday night - to be super ready for my first 'official' week of training. My son woke me up about 11:30 pm so sick with a stomach virus I though it was food poisoning for a while. Needless to say I was up all night. So I made Monday my rest day, I went into work early today so I could get off at 4pm for my 'first official brick' , did I mention today was the most beautiful day in months, about 77 with just the right breeze- it was going to be so awesome!

About noon I noticed my ankle was swollen, like edema, like when I was 9 mos+ pregnant. Not both ankles, just one. I was not retaining water anywhere else even my rings were loose. I had not run since Friday of last week, I biked Saturday and took Sunday and Monday off- no pain so I don't think it is an injury.

I started to Google and apparently according to LiveStrong & WebMD it is a much bigger deal to have one swollen ankle than two. Two is retaining water. One can be anything from Kidney cancer to liver issues to a blood clot  Undecided 

I'm thinking it maybe because I have not done very well stretching after my last few workouts???SO I scratched the bike/run and did a stretch/flexibility WO instead.

Tomorrow is my first swim WO!! Bright and EARLY. I will go do that and if the ankle is still huge will try to get in at Dr's tomorrow.  I do not have time for this!!

2013-04-02 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4684310

User image

Veteran
Meljoypip - 2013-04-02 9:15 PM

Totally disappointed.

I was suppose to do my first 'brick' today, the first workout of my 'official sprint tri plan'

I went to bed early Sunday night - to be super ready for my first 'official' week of training. My son woke me up about 11:30 pm so sick with a stomach virus I though it was food poisoning for a while. Needless to say I was up all night. So I made Monday my rest day, I went into work early today so I could get off at 4pm for my 'first official brick' , did I mention today was the most beautiful day in months, about 77 with just the right breeze- it was going to be so awesome!

About noon I noticed my ankle was swollen, like edema, like when I was 9 mos+ pregnant. Not both ankles, just one. I was not retaining water anywhere else even my rings were loose. I had not run since Friday of last week, I biked Saturday and took Sunday and Monday off- no pain so I don't think it is an injury.

I started to Google and apparently according to LiveStrong & WebMD it is a much bigger deal to have one swollen ankle than two. Two is retaining water. One can be anything from Kidney cancer to liver issues to a blood clot  Undecided 

I'm thinking it maybe because I have not done very well stretching after my last few workouts???SO I scratched the bike/run and did a stretch/flexibility WO instead.

Tomorrow is my first swim WO!! Bright and EARLY. I will go do that and if the ankle is still huge will try to get in at Dr's tomorrow.  I do not have time for this!!

Hmmm...I'd say watch that carefully.  Strange.  Enjoy the swim tomorrow.  The journey begins! 

2013-04-02 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran

Spring Break in Gulf Shores!  Beautiful day today and glad I started it with a GREAT brick.  15 mile bike at just at 15mph and then a 30 minute run with a 9:15 pace.  Felt great.  Looking forward to my race in less than 2 weeks!  I've been hitting it hard since Jan. 1, so I'm curious to see how my time at this event improves from last year to this year!

Sorry I've been a bit off the grid.  I'm going to keep up with my workouts while I'm here, but not sure how much time I'll have for checking in.  Yvonne...CH is going to look at your training logs and give you his thoughts on improving your time.  Melody...keep an eye on that ankle.  Bill...how did the ophtamologist appointment go?  Joe...almost race time...keep up the good work!  Chrispy...welcome back!  Tom...keep working hard when you can fit it in with the new job!  Everyone else...keep working your plans!!

Jax

2013-04-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4684310

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Meljoypip - 2013-04-02 6:15 PM

Totally disappointed.

Very sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope it's something minor.  What did the doctor say?

2013-04-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4684345

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
DaDooRunRun - 2013-04-02 6:44 PM

Spring Break in Gulf Shores!  Beautiful day today and glad I started it with a GREAT brick.  15 mile bike at just at 15mph and then a 30 minute run with a 9:15 pace.  Felt great.  Looking forward to my race in less than 2 weeks!  I've been hitting it hard since Jan. 1, so I'm curious to see how my time at this event improves from last year to this year!

Sorry I've been a bit off the grid.  I'm going to keep up with my workouts while I'm here, but not sure how much time I'll have for checking in.  Yvonne...CH is going to look at your training logs and give you his thoughts on improving your time.  Melody...keep an eye on that ankle.  Bill...how did the ophtamologist appointment go?  Joe...almost race time...keep up the good work!  Chrispy...welcome back!  Tom...keep working hard when you can fit it in with the new job!  Everyone else...keep working your plans!!

Jax

Just read your race report from this race last year, you're going to rock it this year, I know it!  I've got a good feeling you and I are both in for a great weekend! 
2013-04-03 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Not to look too far ahead, but I need to start thinking about my plan for after this 4/14 Oly with regards to increasing my mileage and starting to train for the 8/11 70.3.  There's only 17 weeks between the races, it seems like most training plans are 20 weeks.  I feel like I've got a pretty solid base to begin with.  Is it just a matter of getting to a point where I'm doubling what I'm doing now?  I mean I basically already feel comfortable with the swim portion, what with the masters workouts.  So I guess my plan is to increase my mileage gradually on the bike and run and get to a point where I'm at the mileage I need and can basically do the same higher intensity workouts I'm doing now just at double mileage.  Is this right? 

What is the best way to increase my run mileage?  Right now I'm running three days a week, with Tuesday being race pace day (generally 3-4 miles), Thursday being interval sprint/hill day (generally 2-3 miles), and Saturday being long run day (generally 8 miles).  That has me at only 13-15 miles/week (jeez is that it??).  I feel like I could add a day of running if necessary; running is the easiest thing for me to fit into my schedule.  So do I scale back the high intensity aspect of the miles I'm doing and just add on a mile or two to my weekly total every week till I'm at the mileage I need then resume the high intensity work?  If so, where do I add the miles?  Or do I keep the high intensity aspect of it to some degree while I build the miles? 

The bike seems more common sense, I feel comfortable with upping my mileage on that and working hard at it at the same time, I don't see myself getting injured training on the bike.  Not that I'll overdo it or anything, but my bike training hasn't been as structured as my running anyways.  As long as I fit in a longer ride, and at least one hill day per week, and then as many more rides as I can fit in, I'm comfortable.  Just going to do what I was doing but work to increase the time I spend on the bike.

I'm going to take a closer look at some of the training programs out there.

2013-04-04 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4685415

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-04-03 1:46 PM

Not to look too far ahead, but I need to start thinking about my plan for after this 4/14 Oly with regards to increasing my mileage and starting to train for the 8/11 70.3.  There's only 17 weeks between the races, it seems like most training plans are 20 weeks.  I feel like I've got a pretty solid base to begin with.  Is it just a matter of getting to a point where I'm doubling what I'm doing now?  I mean I basically already feel comfortable with the swim portion, what with the masters workouts.  So I guess my plan is to increase my mileage gradually on the bike and run and get to a point where I'm at the mileage I need and can basically do the same higher intensity workouts I'm doing now just at double mileage.  Is this right? 

What is the best way to increase my run mileage?  Right now I'm running three days a week, with Tuesday being race pace day (generally 3-4 miles), Thursday being interval sprint/hill day (generally 2-3 miles), and Saturday being long run day (generally 8 miles).  That has me at only 13-15 miles/week (jeez is that it??).  I feel like I could add a day of running if necessary; running is the easiest thing for me to fit into my schedule.  So do I scale back the high intensity aspect of the miles I'm doing and just add on a mile or two to my weekly total every week till I'm at the mileage I need then resume the high intensity work?  If so, where do I add the miles?  Or do I keep the high intensity aspect of it to some degree while I build the miles? 

The bike seems more common sense, I feel comfortable with upping my mileage on that and working hard at it at the same time, I don't see myself getting injured training on the bike.  Not that I'll overdo it or anything, but my bike training hasn't been as structured as my running anyways.  As long as I fit in a longer ride, and at least one hill day per week, and then as many more rides as I can fit in, I'm comfortable.  Just going to do what I was doing but work to increase the time I spend on the bike.

I put the training plan I use for 70.3's online here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ar5EpJvYM2b1dEs0VjFhZlR3...

Let me know if you have trouble accessing it.

You may need to give up some intensity for more volume. You'll want to do several rides over 40 miles and a few two hour runs. A 70.3 is a different beast in that you'll need to add nutrition to the equation. You can do an Olympic with few calories but with a 70.3 there is no way to finish unless you learn to take calories in on the bike. It's not as easy as it sounds.
2013-04-04 11:51 PM
in reply to: #4686981

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

ransick - 2013-04-04 12:06 PM

A 70.3 is a different beast in that you'll need to add nutrition to the equation. You can do an Olympic with few calories but with a 70.3 there is no way to finish unless you learn to take calories in on the bike. It's not as easy as it sounds.

You scared me there, I thought from the first sentence you meant I was going to have to start eating better.

I've got some ideas with regards to nutrition and I've already done some experimenting.  I have a lot of stuff to play around with over the next couple months.  Generally I have a pretty good stomach, so hopefully that holds true.  The only thing I've determined for sure so far is that I don't really like caffeine while working out.

2013-04-05 11:19 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
ransick - 2013-04-05 7:06 AM

jmholzman - 2013-04-03 1:46 PM

I put the training plan I use for 70.3's online here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ar5EpJvYM2b1dEs0VjFhZlR3...

Let me know if you have trouble accessing it.

You may need to give up some intensity for more volume. You'll want to do several rides over 40 miles and a few two hour runs. A 70.3 is a different beast in that you'll need to add nutrition to the equation. You can do an Olympic with few calories but with a 70.3 there is no way to finish unless you learn to take calories in on the bike. It's not as easy as it sounds.

I love the structure of your plan Mike, looks super organised and flexible. I might pinch a few ideas from it. I have a sprint race tomorrow but then I will be starting some more regular training and looking to finalise my immediate plan as I head towards my first Oly (while I decide whether to aim for a HIM which would be about four to five months later).

Why am I typing this at 3am...?

2013-04-05 11:24 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
ransick - 2013-04-05 7:06 AM

If you assme you are deep into your training program, how long should your regular long training runs be when preparing for an HIM? Much longer than the race distance of 20km...?

2013-04-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4688146

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

cadnams - 2013-04-05 9:24 AM
ransick - 2013-04-05 7:06 AM You may need to give up some intensity for more volume. You'll want to do several rides over 40 miles and a few two hour runs. A 70.3 is a different beast in that you'll need to add nutrition to the equation. You can do an Olympic with few calories but with a 70.3 there is no way to finish unless you learn to take calories in on the bike. It's not as easy as it sounds.
If you assme you are deep into your training program, how long should your regular long training runs be when preparing for an HIM? Much longer than the race distance of 20km...?

I don't think the regular long run would be more than a HM.  The longest run in Mike's plan is 2:00, which for me if I'm going Z2 or even low Z3 is not a full HM (who knows, maybe it will be by then).  My intention was/is to end up doing 2-3 15-16 milers.  But >HM would be the exception, not the rule, I would think.

2013-04-05 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4688193

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-04-05 11:42 AM

cadnams - 2013-04-05 9:24 AM
ransick - 2013-04-05 7:06 AM You may need to give up some intensity for more volume. You'll want to do several rides over 40 miles and a few two hour runs. A 70.3 is a different beast in that you'll need to add nutrition to the equation. You can do an Olympic with few calories but with a 70.3 there is no way to finish unless you learn to take calories in on the bike. It's not as easy as it sounds.

I don't think the regular long run would be more than a HM.  The longest run in Mike's plan is 2:00, which for me if I'm going Z2 or even low Z3 is not a full HM (who knows, maybe it will be by then).  My intention was/is to end up doing 2-3 15-16 milers.  But >HM would be the exception, not the rule, I would think.

I don't think the long runs need to be longer than 10-12 or so miles. The key is being long enough to build endurance while not being too long to mess up your next training session.

I found nutrition testing was the hardest. On 40-70 mile rides I never really got in the habit of started my nutrition 15 minutes into the ride like you end up doing in a HIM. In a HIM you are an hour or so into the race when you've been on the bike for 15 minutes. In training, you are usually 15 minutes into the workout and don't need or feel like any nutrition yet.

Another thing I've read, but never practiced, was to slow down on the bike when it's time to eat since your stomach isn't going to take in calories well if you are in zone 3.
2013-04-06 2:37 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks guys. You might have saved me some time pounding the pavement. I will stick to the two hour mark I think, this should be right on HM distance for me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30