BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-04 6:51 PM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Originally posted by Usulsuspct Well now I have gone and done it... I just registered for a "fun swim" - across a nearby lake. Its a .67 mile swim, fortunately for me its two months away. Now I have something to shoot for! In theory I should be finished with the 0to1650 program by then and what better way to get some OWS experience without also having to worry about a bike and run at the same time. Well thats my logic at least...well see how it pans out.

Way to go! Back in November I did an open water swim of 750m in the bay as my first foray into organised events, and had a ball. It was pretty daunting, and half way round I was thinking "why on earth did I sign up for this?", but I finished, really enjoyed it, and now here I am training for triathlons. I even got super keen and thought I could train for this one day:  http://oceanswimsafaris.com/index.php/2012-05-26-06-11-22/bosphorus. OK, a 7km swim is way out of my league but wouldn't that look great on the swim CV?LaughingWink

2013-06-05 2:14 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Ok Turtles, this is not a challenge issued by me, but here it goes: As a Mentor one of the things I am encourged to do is to try and encourage those in my group to explore and utilize all that BT has to offer. So in the spirit of that I would like for everyone to open the Challenge Forum and take a look. This is where you and others can make challenges and / or chose to participate in one. I just signed up to participate in this months challege, which is Pick your Challenge. You challenge yourself to reach a goal for the month is as few as one thing or as many as four. I have chosen Swim, Bike, and Run marks for the month. The goals can be anything from Pounds lost during the month, to walking, to spending time with the family, whatever you want. This challenge and others are to encourage you to reach your goals and they also offer a great way to meet others here on BT and make new friends. Like I said no one has to participate I would just like for everyone to take a look at the challenge forum. Part of the reason is that next month is the Grand Daddy of all Challenges, but I will talk about that later for those of you who don't know what I'm referring to. Thank you as always for everyones contribution and hard work in this group.

Great suggestion, Todd, and I've been over, had a look, and signed up. A bit of extra support and encouragement never goes astraySmile

2013-06-05 5:04 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Rnay225 I've had my car broken into before too so I know how you're feeling. It sucks! But it's good you got it worked out. As far as volunteering, I LOVE IT! I volunteered at a trail marathon yesterday and it was so much fun! I've done some trail running before and really liked it but I've never raced and now I totally have the bug! Not sure that a trail MARATHON is on the books any time soon but a trail race is for sure! Do any of you do any trail running?

Going back to this one, Rennay, I'm keen on getting onto a bit more trail running. I run on the forestry tracks locally, and it's so much more enjoyable and varied than running on the road. I haven't tried any organised races yet, though, I think I might work up to them this season.

2013-06-05 5:45 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Happy National Running Day!!!! I will be doing a six mile run this morning as soon as I get off of work.
2013-06-05 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Originally posted by Rnay225 I've had my car broken into before too so I know how you're feeling. It sucks! But it's good you got it worked out. As far as volunteering, I LOVE IT! I volunteered at a trail marathon yesterday and it was so much fun! I've done some trail running before and really liked it but I've never raced and now I totally have the bug! Not sure that a trail MARATHON is on the books any time soon but a trail race is for sure! Do any of you do any trail running?

Going back to this one, Rennay, I'm keen on getting onto a bit more trail running. I run on the forestry tracks locally, and it's so much more enjoyable and varied than running on the road. I haven't tried any organised races yet, though, I think I might work up to them this season.

Rennay, I'm sorry, I did not see this one either. I only trail run while we are camping at State Parks, which is 5 to 10 weekends a year. I can tell you that I did a Half Marathon Trail run in Jan. of 12 and it was quit the experience. It is different running on trails than the road. For me it was mostly the slip of my foot with each stride. The trails I was on had fine gravel, which caused your foot to slip a little and sometimes the tiny rocks to end up in your shoes. Other than that it was a very good experience, very personnal because there are no fans in the woods, just other runners. I enjoyed it but if I did one again I would do a bit more trail running in preperation of the event.
2013-06-05 11:37 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: afischer01

, Alabama
Originally posted by afischer01

Speaking of trail races.....there is a 25K mountain bike race in September that I am thinking of doing. The course description says it is gravel, driveable loggin roads. The thought of it scares me but thrills me at the same time. I don't know if I should attempt it or not. I have been mainly road biking, spinning, or doing the trainer. The race would be for fun but also for a little change of pace. Any thoughts Turtles?

I say if it scares you do it..... I.e. feel the fear and do it anyway! Sometimes scary is good. But also try to get some appropriate practice in beforehand.
2013-06-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: NMS

Extreme Veteran
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CORBET

(imagesCAWLCIAK.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
imagesCAWLCIAK.jpg (12KB - 19 downloads)
2013-06-05 2:26 PM

Extreme Veteran

Speaking of trail races.....there is a 25K mountain bike race in September that I am thinking of doing. The course description says it is gravel, driveable loggin roads. The thought of it scares me but thrills me at the same time. I don't know if I should attempt it or not. I have been mainly road biking, spinning, or doing the trainer. The race would be for fun but also for a little change of pace. Any thoughts Turtles?

Ashley, only you know what you can handle, but it certainly sounds like a fun race. You will likely need a mountain bike, but the biggest thing is that you are likely going to have to be good at bike handling. Road race is basically pedalling and watching out for debri on the road. Trail riding requires more handling issues and the knowledge of what to do with certain terrains / obstacles. If you know you can navigate yourself around the course then by all means take on the challenge. Let me add that some trail rides are almost like riding on the road becuase they are on clean trails, where others have jumps, tree roots, creeks, drop offs, big climbs, some can be pretty narley (went 80's on ya)
2013-06-05 9:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Where are the Turtles at? It sure is quite in here tonight. Well I thought I would pass on to yall what happened to me last night.

I decided that I probably recovered enough to get on the bike and go for a ride. I was really enjoying my ride and had about a mile and a half left in the ride before getting home. So I'm going along at about 18 mph (slight downhill) when I get passed by a Suburban and then a truck. As the truck starts to clear the area of my front wheel I start to hear popping sounds and see small sparks in front of my wheel. At this point it dawns on me that a idiot in the truck threw out a handful of those snap pops right in front of me. Luckily I held the bike steady and went on about my ride, but just another thing that made me think about why it is that some people just have to screw with others and likely just becuase their exercising. I didn't let it destroy what was a nice ride, but it still was aggrevating.
2013-06-05 11:24 PM

Well I took you word and today I had very little time but squeezed a small workout before work. I did 5 mile bike ride and jumped off and tried a little running ( 1.23 miles ). Turns out I broke my record time for the mike 8:41, legs felt a little strange but it was the first time around from the bike to running
but I think if I had more time I could have done much more running.

2013-06-06 3:44 AM
in reply to: ibr80

Veteran
Originally posted by ibr80

Well I took you word and today I had very little time but squeezed a small workout before work. I did 5 mile bike ride and jumped off and tried a little running ( 1.23 miles ). Turns out I broke my record time for the mike 8:41, legs felt a little strange but it was the first time around from the bike to running

Thats great!! Something is better than nothing. Your legs will feel strange but the more you do those bricks the better it becomes. After a few years of racing my legs still get that odd heavy feeling in them but it will get better.

Well I'm 2.25 hours from finishing my 15 hour shift here at work. Then its off bed for bit, get up, bike, swim, and enjoy the rest of my day off.
2013-06-06 5:33 AM

, Alabama
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Where are the Turtles at? It sure is quite in here tonight. Well I thought I would pass on to yall what happened to me last night.

I decided that I probably recovered enough to get on the bike and go for a ride. I was really enjoying my ride and had about a mile and a half left in the ride before getting home. So I'm going along at about 18 mph (slight downhill) when I get passed by a Suburban and then a truck. As the truck starts to clear the area of my front wheel I start to hear popping sounds and see small sparks in front of my wheel. At this point it dawns on me that a idiot in the truck threw out a handful of those snap pops right in front of me. Luckily I held the bike steady and went on about my ride, but just another thing that made me think about why it is that some people just have to screw with others and likely just becuase their exercising. I didn't let it destroy what was a nice ride, but it still was aggrevating.

What is wrong with some people? I was out on the bike a couple of weeks ago when a car load of young men slowed down right beside me just to shout abuse at me and then cut in right in front of me before accelerating away. I wasn't going slowly or holding them up, I was actually whiz zing down a hill enjoying myself until they turned up. I didn't let it spoil my ride but it did remind me how vulnerable I am on the bike as there wasn't really anyone else around. This is why I prefer 6am cycles with only the wildlife as company. Glad it didn't spoil your day Todd.
2013-06-06 6:25 AM

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Where are the Turtles at? It sure is quite in here tonight. Well I thought I would pass on to yall what happened to me last night. I decided that I probably recovered enough to get on the bike and go for a ride. I was really enjoying my ride and had about a mile and a half left in the ride before getting home. So I'm going along at about 18 mph (slight downhill) when I get passed by a Suburban and then a truck. As the truck starts to clear the area of my front wheel I start to hear popping sounds and see small sparks in front of my wheel. At this point it dawns on me that a idiot in the truck threw out a handful of those snap pops right in front of me. Luckily I held the bike steady and went on about my ride, but just another thing that made me think about why it is that some people just have to screw with others and likely just becuase their exercising. I didn't let it destroy what was a nice ride, but it still was aggrevating.

We get those sorts of idiots around here a lot, too, and it's no fun on a narrow country road when someone deliberately swings close by and blares their horn at you. I think they're too stupid to realise they could actually seriously injure or kill a cyclist doing it....makes you want to get one of those little cameras you see on people's helmets nowadays so you have proof if it ever came to something like that.  

2013-06-06 6:33 AM

New user

WHAT?!! I can't even wrap my mind around why someone would think that's fun or funny to do. Glad you held'er steady!
2013-06-06 7:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-06 7:55 AM

Extreme Veteran

From the description, I'm hoping the trail would be pretty basic. The longer versions of the same race mention other challenges like tree roots, rocks, etc. The bike I currently have is a Specialized Expedition (hybrid) that I have converted into as much of a road bike as I can for now. But I think that would workout ok if the course is mainly gravel logging roads. I like the idea of getting out of my comfort zone!

Ashley, your hybrid should work just fine, the only thing you might want to do befoe the race is put on a more knobbed tire for traction, but you probably already have some lying around since you converted it to more of a road bike. Look at the the course and it's description, make a decision, and sign up before you have a chance to talk yourself out of it
2013-06-06 8:31 AM

I have been looking for a good road bike to add to the training kit. I have been tooling around town on my mountain bike all the while eyeballing with jealousness everyones road bikes.

Found a bike which will fit me that I think is a pretty good deal (at least as described.)

2011 Felt Z5 - $1,200

http://elmira.craigslist.org/bik/3852257427.html

Wife gave me the thumbs up as a Father's day gift so my fingers are crossed!
2013-06-06 8:53 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Taringa

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Where are the Turtles at? It sure is quite in here tonight. Well I thought I would pass on to yall what happened to me last night. I decided that I probably recovered enough to get on the bike and go for a ride. I was really enjoying my ride and had about a mile and a half left in the ride before getting home. So I'm going along at about 18 mph (slight downhill) when I get passed by a Suburban and then a truck. As the truck starts to clear the area of my front wheel I start to hear popping sounds and see small sparks in front of my wheel. At this point it dawns on me that a idiot in the truck threw out a handful of those snap pops right in front of me. Luckily I held the bike steady and went on about my ride, but just another thing that made me think about why it is that some people just have to screw with others and likely just becuase their exercising. I didn't let it destroy what was a nice ride, but it still was aggrevating.

We get those sorts of idiots around here a lot, too, and it's no fun on a narrow country road when someone deliberately swings close by and blares their horn at you. I think they're too stupid to realise they could actually seriously injure or kill a cyclist doing it....makes you want to get one of those little cameras you see on people's helmets nowadays so you have proof if it ever came to something like that.  

I think some people just do it to get a good laugh regardless if someone gets hurt. I am glad you were able to hold steady. Some people would have gotten nervous or swerved and end up hurting themselves.
2013-06-06 8:57 AM
in reply to: Lovey

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Yesterday at work I felt overwhelming exhaustion. It took me all day to finish projects I should have finished in a few hours.
I dragged myself out for a run because my running partner needed it and the company (family issues). It was only 2 miles but it felt good, faster and surprisingly it help eased the exhaustion I was feeling.

I planned to swim this morning but decided to get a good rest. I still plan to swim this afternoon and then go for a run tonight.

For turtles, we are really moving along here. I love it!
2013-06-06 9:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ibr80

Nice Brick, and congrats on the PR.

2013-06-06 9:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Usulsuspct

I have been looking for a good road bike to add to the training kit. I have been tooling around town on my mountain bike all the while eyeballing with jealousness everyones road bikes.

Found a bike which will fit me that I think is a pretty good deal (at least as described.)

2011 Felt Z5 - $1,200

http://elmira.craigslist.org/bik/3852257427.html

Wife gave me the thumbs up as a Father's day gift so my fingers are crossed!

Sharp looking bike, sounds like you know exactly what you need and want!
2013-06-06 9:15 AM

Sharp looking bike, sounds like you know exactly what you need and want!

Well I agree that its a sharp looking bike, I will argue the "know exactly what I need and want" - I dont know a whole lot about bikes. A co-worker who is way more knowledgeable about bikes turned me onto this deal. If I didnt trust his knowledge I probably wouldnt consider going used and would rely on my LBS.
2013-06-06 7:42 PM

All I can say is that I love my specialized Roubaix I got this year, might wanna check it out. Its a pretty relaxed position for a rode bike and it absorbs the rode like a champ considering it was made to run on cobblestone. Bike retails for $1750 and I was able to get it for $1375 when specialized had there Spring rebates. Im seeing them more and more now that I own one.
2013-06-07 5:40 AM

Gold Coast, Australia
I've had a reasonable two days getting back into it after being off with a cold. Yesterday an easy 30 mins on the bike at the gym, then some core work. I did feel a lot weaker than usual, but not terrible. Then this morning a nice relaxed 5k run, 40 minutes in zone 2 on the heart rate monitor. I've only just worked out how to set target heart zones so it beeps at me if I'm going too easy or too hard, and so far it's working pretty well. I'm still at the "first go slow to go faster' stage. Oh- and I'm trying to remember a plank a day. 2 planks in 2 days so far, so doing pretty well. How's everyone else's training today?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45