Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-07-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

Tara:  Hang in there.  I can't expound in my usual way right at the moment, but for this morning, consider what you're really trying to accomplish by improving the bike.  Are you driven to be on the podium and take home hardware or are you just trying to improve from one tri to the next?  If it's the latter, then feel free to back off the bike a bit.  We'll all offer you ways to get more comfortable - and I'm not sure a group is where it's at.  I've never been a group rider, but I grew up on a bike and have ridden now for 30+ years (and I'm only nearly 40) .  I'm getting started - but I've gotta go.  More later.

2007-07-25 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Tara:
All the training we do is part of a delicate balance between work and home. But, my own expereince is that by taking a little time to do this, I am more effective at managing my other time and end up with more quality time for work and home (most of the time). There are only so many hours in the day, and I have decided that there are not enough. Where's the balance? That's the delicate line we walk. But, it is important to stay fit. We all know what happens mentally and physically if we don't. As for the time, the roads open early. When I have too much time, I do not manage if effectively.

To address the biking question, I know how you feel. I rarely ride in a group. I much perfer either a loose group of just a few (no pace line) or going myself. In a pace line, or even with a large group, they are dictaing your pace. The decide when you leave and when you get back, along with where you go. That's fine occasionally, but I hate the part of the group riding that you follow blindly, i.e. across roads, and can't see what's in front of you because it is covered by another rider. I'm a control freak, and not all that experienced on the bike, so I am careful (so far, except for falling down when learning to use clipless pedals) I only bike 1 or 2 times a week. 1 long, 1 shorter, but I'm not setting the world on fire with this stuff. Backing off the groups might give you a little more time for the family and take away the fear that you associate with group rides. Nothing wrong with the occasional spin on the trainer at night or before dawn to get in a little saddle time. Nothing wrong with going alone or with just 1 other rider. It might open up a lot more flexibility in your daily schedule to get away from the groups.

But, keep at it. It's an important part of the mix.
2007-07-25 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

THANK YOU ALL!  I needed to hear that.  I so appreciate your kind words - they're encouraging and helpful.  I switched around my a.m. schedule today and freed up some extra time.  )  I'm going to lower my expectations, slow down and allow myself to grow into this lifestyle slowly (heck, I've been doing it going on almost a year now!) instead of shooting for best in my AG (how arrogant at this stage anyway???!!!).  I want to run at least one more tri this summer so I'll have a couple of races to compare to for next year.  I think I've got to relook at the training plan I downloaded too so I'm not discouraged when I'm not able to keep up with its requirements.

Thank you to everyone....You guys are great!

2007-07-26 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Don't get me started on training plans.  Just one look at my logs and you'll see that it is a rough guide, at best.
2007-07-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: #901259

User image

Hey Tara,
I'm sorry about your fellow riders and friends. That's very sad and makes it difficult to get back on the bike yourself. One thing that I've looked into recently is a RoadID anklet so when I am out and if something does happen, that all my info is there. That seems to put me and my family a little at ease. And I received a tip about biking the other day from a serious triathlete. She told me to never trust anyonse else when they tell you the path is clear. Take your time, prep your feet out of the clips to stop and look to make sure the path is clear for yourself. Defensive riding is the best way to put that I gave in and recently got a trainer that I've been riding more frequently too since the suburban traffic out here and all the teenagers and minivans scare me. And I know i'll be safe on that. (so long as i can hook it up right. I'm waiting for the day I don't and I fall off it ...)
Hang in there with the lifestyle changes and the family. You seem to care a lot about them and they about you, so I'm sure it will work out. As far as the training programs, I'm probably a bad example of this, but I kind of use the plans as "guidelines" rather than strict schedules. If I can get in 4-5 workouts per week (in any order) that resemble what this week was supposed to look like on the calendar, I'm happy. And I remember the Triathlon training In 4 Hours a Week book by Eric Harr and think that if I can get 4 solid hours per week, that's an accomplishment right there. Plus, you've been doing this for a year already? That's a huge accomplishment! Keep reminding yourself of that. I'll get off my soapbox rant and just wish you luck and encourage you to stay tough. Keep tri-ing!
Megan
2007-07-26 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Thanks again Megan and Doug!  Gosh, this week has been an insight into my psyche.  I usually consider myself pretty happy-go-lucky, but I'm realizing I can get obsessed about doing everything to a "t" and that takes all the fun out of it.  I'm actually an "otter" at heart and like to reduce everything to play so I like both your ideas about using the dang plan as a "guide."  I was pressuring myself too much to try to improve on my bike and I thought the only way to do it was to ride with the group.  They're basically very safety conscious but have had some bad accidents lately and they press the limits and are known for their hard riding.  I get pumped up when I ride with them but I'm also terrified riding one inch from the person in front of me.  I also have to be there right on time (I'm almost always late to everything I go to) and then I'm rushing around trying to pull myself together for the ride.  I really enjoyed my solo ride last night. 

Any good suggestions on improving my biking in general?  I know the motto about "time in the saddle" but should I focus on cadence or avg speed, hill work, or just mix it up?

2007-07-27 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Any one racing this weekend?  If so - good luck.  If not - be safe training.

Cool thing happened today.  I found a phone number of a lady I met at my first and only triathlon.  She had been chiding me cuz I beat her and she mentioned she lives here in town and is new to town and was looking for some one to train with.  I put her number away and didn't think of it till just recently.  Anyway, we talked today and she is psyched about training together AND her strong suite is biking.  She lives in a part of the county that has some nice rural hilly roads and she's gonna work with me.  She's running the Crystal River Twilight Triathlon tomorrow night which I wish I was ready for but I think I'd push too hard on the run and hurt myself.  Anyway, I'll go to cheer her on.  We've committed to train for the 10/28 Cooter Fest (yes, that's the real name) Triathlon in Inverness.  Yippee - I'm excited!

2007-07-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: #904783

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
You and one other training the bike sounds like just the thing. Funny how these things even out.

My local tri club has a practice event this weekend for all three events. So it will be my first open water swim. Wish me luck.
2007-07-28 12:52 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

fgray: good luck and have fun.  You'll learn a lot in the first OWS and don't get discouraged.

Tara: Having one partner is great.  Probably better than a group, imo.  As for improving, just ride, baby.  Find some hills and climb them, then enjoy the descent.  Find some flats and sprint them, then enjoy the recovery speed.  I don't know a thing about cadence, but find a gear you're comfortable in, not too hard, not too easy.  Adjust accordingly.  Don't forget, riding a bike is fun.  Look at all the kids who love to bike.  Be one of them.

2007-07-28 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Frank - have a blast!  If you've been doing TI stuff just try to remind yourself of the drills while you swim.  You'll do fine.

I loved my bike ride today.  I wore my HRM and I don't know what range I should be training in but it has given me a default training zone of something like 119-136 so I'm using it until I figure out what mine actually is.  I normally get my HR really high when I ride, like 170 or something (I know I'm overtraining) so, today I took a LSD and even though it was 102 degrees on my bike computer I felt great.  I saw a swallow-tailed kite (my favorite bird) and no less than 6 gopher tortoises (endangered big 'ol turtles) sitting in their holes along the trail watching the bikers go by.  They made me laugh.

Doug, you are so right about kids and bikes and I realized while I was at the LBS buying a new helmet (broke my old one but not due to a wreck, thankfully) today that riding a bike makes a kid out of everyone.  The shop was super busy while I was there and I watched as each person mounted a bike and took off for a test ride that they had these huge big smiles of delight on their faces.  I definitely had lost the joy of riding but I'm gettin' back in the groove.  Thanks!

2007-07-28 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

My 5 y.o. just ditched the training wheels.  We can't keep her off the bike!

Glad you had a good ride.  I'm heading into an intense training session tomorrow 30 + and a 12 mile run --if, and it's a moderate if, my calf holds up.  I got kicked pretty hard in my soccer game on Friday.  I've been icing aggressively today, so I'll just have to see how it feels tomorrow.

2007-07-29 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Yippee for no training wheels!

Gosh, I looked at your log and that's quite an impressive hydration/fuel plan.  I never thought about how much you have to take along with you for those longer races.  Besides the "bento box" where do you store it - your pockets in your shirt and/or fuel belt?  Hope the leg is feeling better and you had a good workout.

2007-07-29 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I found out real quick how small the bento box really is.  I'll give a full nutrition update later, but I've been having to carry a backpack for my running gear, so a lot of it goes in there.  I'll analyze what I ate on the ride/run and see if it can all fit.
2007-07-30 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Well, I did my first open water swim yesterday. It was certainly a mixed bag.
On the good side, no anxiety. Felt great. Had about 45 swimmers, I started in the back and ended up being about #10 out of the water, so I swam through quite a few people. Although the end time seems slow, I am really not sure about the distance. It seemed longer. With my time of like 17 minutes or so, I have a hard time believing it was only an 800M swim, especially since I passed so many people. The buoy we swam around look very far away, but I have no point of reference. Certainly a lot farther away than the other side of the pool.
My goggles fogged twice, so I had to stop and unfog them. In the pool not a big deal, but when trying to sight where we were swimming to, it was a problem. Sighting was an issue in general, I couldn't get a good point of reference, the house we were swimming to looked like every other. Much more difficult that I would have thought. Couldn't swim straight. I guess that comes with practice. And more efficient sighting and sighting more often.
I used my wetsuit for the first time. The water was warm, and so was I when I was done. When we got in the water, I was shocked by how warm it was. Most did not use wetsuit, but I really wanted to try it. My shoulders are really sore today. The long sleeves really take their toll. Maybe need to think about short sleeves for the future. I have a two piece, so I can get the vest top. On the plus side, great bouyancy. Easy to glide through the water. Didn't feel great in terms of the pull, but I guess the wetsuit made up for it.
After the event, I really felt poorly. I thought I was really dehydrated. Maybe I was, but throughout the day, I was feeling worse. Turns out I have a bit of a congestion in my chest that's starting to break up. I lost about a pound with the whole event, but I gained 3 pounds after the event. I drank and drank after. I guess the combination of being sick and a little hot from the wetsuit combined to grab me.
I take the lack of anxiety as a really good thing. My chest only felt tight once, but it was just getting familiar with the wetsuit. So, overall, I'm happy. And not feeling that great from the cold, but happy with the swim.
Open water swimming is certainly a different skill, one I really need to practice.
2007-08-03 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Everyone still out there and ok? Haven't seen anyone in a while...
2007-08-03 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi Everyone,

I'm still hanging in there.  Working on increasing my run distance and length of time (but quicker pace) and also more time on the bike.  Its been difficult lately because of rain.  This weekend looks drier but may reach into high 90's and with the humidity, its a killer (not unlike hot, wet Texas).  I'm hoping to either do the 3rd Crystal River Tri on 9/1/07,  or, more likely, the Cooter Fest Tri in Inverness on 10/28/07.  Trying to enjoy my training and not get so blasted serious that its a chore.

Enjoy your weekend!  Be safe & have fun (and for all you sickies - get well soon).  Tara

2007-08-05 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I had a strong weekend. 

47m 53s 1300.00 meters 3m 41s /100 meters

Got a bonus OWS this afternoon at a nice place on Lake Worth. Distance is approx.

2h 30m 56s 43.20 miles 17.17 miles/hr

Good ride this morning except for the wind. First leg was longer than I'd done before at 35.67 miles in 2:06:27 (avg. spd 16.9). Second leg was short but strong, even hitting a wind-aided 28 mph on the flats (7.53/24:29/18.4 mph avg).

50m 25s 5.02 miles 10m 02s /mile

This was a great run. It was still hot and humid, but I felt much better than last week. I couldn't go slow to pace Frank. When he failed to keep up with my 9:30s, I just let it go, finishing with sub 9s and little effort.

A very good training day today.

How about the rest of you?

2007-08-06 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

I had a nice LSD run on Saturday and hung out with friends on Sunday.  Today I did some speed work.  Still trying to figure out the HR I should be training at.  Sounds like the 220 formula isn't the right way to do it, BUT, the other way sounds like I'm supposed to test myself by running as fast as I can for 30 minutes (or bike or swim as per the test protocols) but I can not yet run 30 minutes.  Do you think it would work if I ran AND walked as fast as I can for 30 minutes and figured it from there?

Oh ya, and how the heck do you do standing sprints on your bike?  I tried them today and felt like I was going to flip over my handlebars.  My front wheel was zigzagging back and forth and then when I really got going, I started mashing the pedals down at the bottom and then there was a lot of play in them coming up.  Plus, I was supposed to do 4 - 1 min standing sprints with 2 min rest in between.  WELL, I could do about 30+ seconds for the first 2 and then only 20+ seconds for the second 2.  Those things are killer!!!

2007-08-06 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Tara:  I learned my HR "zones" by trial and error.  Basically, I just watched (my HRM doesn't keep data) as I was moving on the bike and runs.  What I found is that I train best in the 130s to 140s, begin pushing things in the 150s-160s and am working pretty hard by the 170s.  I exceed 180 when climbing hills.  Also, my HR is generally lower on the bike than the run.  Don't key on mine, either, as everyone is different.

As for standing sprints, did you downshift (i.e. make it harder to pedal) before standing and powering through?  That's a key.  If you keep the gears the same as when seated, then yes, you'll wobble and over pedal.  It's kind of scary, isn't it?  Even when I'm climbing a hill, I downshift one or two notches to get that stronger feeling.

Does that help?

2007-08-07 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Great weekend workout, Doug.

I'm just about recovered from the bug, and have gotten back into the workouts - not setting the world on fire, just trying to get my wind and legs back. Was in the water this morning trying to get the rust out of my shoulders. Definitely looking forward to Tri #2 in late September. I have to go out of town for work, planning on running while I'm gone, hoping to get back to 6 workouts per week starting next week.

2007-08-07 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Yes, thanks for the suggestions.  I did progressively downshift as I went faster but I don't think I did so fast enough.  I'm going to try doing it on an uphill next time to keep the slack out of my pedaling.  I watched a few of the legs of the Tour de France and actually didn't feel too stupid when I saw how crazy they flipflopped back and forth while they were sprinting out of the saddle.  Of course, I'm not comparing myself to them at all but I figure I wasn't too totally dorky....  It sure does burn up your legs though, gosh!

As to HR, I'm finding that I like being between 150-155.  Below that I feel like I'm creeping and above that I'm panting.  I actually have a higher average on my bike than on a run.  Its going to be fun to figure out.  My main goal is to learn how not to push too hard on days when I need to go longer and then to figure out how hard I can actually push on days that I want a more intense but shorter workout.  I'll let you know what I figure out when I do figure out - if that makes sense.  Have a good one every one!

2007-08-08 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I agree with Doug that trial and error is the way to go. I am a believer in the quick and dirty lactate threshold test. Just push it as much as possible for the 30 minutes and see how high your HR goes and what you can sustain at a level of discomfort vs. comfort. I think you have to experiment with it and really push to see where it puts you.
I train best for LDS in the low 160's. But, almost all my runs put me into the low 170's. It's really hard for me to stay in the 160's, even though according to all the charts, I should. I back it down if I go above 172, but I find I can sustain 172 for give or take 5 miles, but I pay for it later. On hills, I am regularily over 180 if I push it. I can not sustain that long. I did a tempo 1/4 miles today at the end of a treadmill run and I was pushing mid-180's. Felt ok, but I know how long I can sustain that for, not long.
On my shorten mid-week runs, I try to stay in the high 160's. Today I went to 170 and backed down for the majority of it.
Everyone is different. Even my resting heart rate is high, and I take albuterol before my workouts, which causes it to go higher.
In my last practive tri with the local club, the guy I was trying to run with was panting on the run with a HR of 150 and had to stop and walk for a while. Mine was 170 and I felt great. These HR and montors are so individualistic, there is really no comparison from one to the next. I can't even do a brisk walk and keep my HR under 100. MAybe that's a symptom of carrying too much weight relative to my frame from years of lifting, but it is what it is. There's only so much I am willing to loose.
2007-08-08 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
I know I'm gonna have to do the down and dirty 30 minute all-out run but I'm working back up to where I can actually run for 30 minutes straight before I try it.  I hate to do it and have to walk during the test.  It definitely sounds like it varies quite a bit from person to person and even in one person, given hydration status, temperature and humidity and other factors.  Thanks for all the good info.  You guys are great!
2007-08-13 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Dang if it didn't just get super hot here in Fort Worth.  103-105 predicted for today.  Good thing it's my rest day with indoor yoga.  I'm not running as much right now, particularly during the daylight hours.  I prefer to ride or swim in this weather.  Stay hydrated and cool, peeps.
2007-08-14 7:15 PM

Regular
Hi everyone!
I confess---I've been dogging it. I got my family moved in to our new home in Rolla, MO from the Dallas area and now I'm just working hard, getting home and enjoying the time with the wife and son. I will get back into the training routine soon. I should be swimming, biking, and running, but need to get motivated again. It's awfully hot here, too. 103 degrees today and 106 tomorrow. Any motivational words from anyone?
Tony
PS - The wife is on a new diet plan and seems to be motivated. We may be getting registered at a local Rec Center in a day or two. That should help.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26